Review of Lyft

San Francisco, CA 94104
support@lyft.com

terif20
7/17/19

My dad's debit card was used fraudulently at this and other sites. Lyft did a quick investigation and determined it was fraud and refunded his money. (Grubhub refused to provide a refund after they determined it was fraud)

sylvanam1
7/17/19

This company is a total scam. Myself and my other three girlfriends ordered an Lyft. The driver of our Lyft lost his marbles over us spilling some orange just on his already stained and nasty back seat and started screaming and yelling at us. We got very uncomfortable so we asked him to stop the car and let us out multiple times. He refused, locked all the car doors, and continued to drive on yelling and screaming. We kept asking over and over for him to pull over. He claimed he did not speak English, yet "STOP" is a pretty universal word. After about a mile of continuing on like this, my friend who was riding in the passenger seat forced him to pull over into a parking lot by shoving her hand in his face. He finally slowed down the car and came to a stop. She gave him $20 cash to clean his back seat so that he would just let us out. He snatched the money from her (which come to find out later, is against their policy). We finally get out of the car and start trying to run to safety. He started walking towards us and approaching us. I threatened to call the police, and then he retrieved to his car, opened the trunk and started digging around in it. We were all terrified that he was going to pull out a weapon and come after us since he seemed so unstable. We hid behind a building and attempted to go into the bathroom but the doors were key access only. We all literally saw our lives flash in before our eyes and there was nothing we could have done about it. He finally did go back into his car, but he sad there in it for at least 15 minutes in the dark with all his lights on, not allowing us to get out of where we were hiding. It wasn't until we got another ride to come pick us up did he freak out and drive off when he saw the car come into the parking lot. After all of this, I reported the incident to LYFT right away and they said they would take it very seriously and investigate it. Immediately after reporting it, all the driver information, license number, car description, picture of driver, and everything related to that ride completely got deleted form the app. I called them back to get that information so I can file a police report, they informed me that they could not provide that information as they had to "protect their driver," and clearly didn't care about the safety of their passengers. One day went by and then I find a charge of $50 being charged to my credit card for DAMAGES. I called them to ask them about it, and they said that they were just putting a hold on the card like that while they investigated the issue and that since it was a safety issue that was reported that it was not linked to the damages department so neither department knew what was going on with the other one. They assured me that they would link documentation between the two together so that the safety incident would be taken into account when they make their decision about the damages. That of course did not happen as the next day I saw that the charge was no longer pending but was an actual charge that was made to my credit card company. What's worse in in all of this, is that a week went by and I finally got an email from LYFT updating me on the incident and all it says is that "I can assure you that the concerns you have brought to our attention have been investigated and the necessary actions have been taken." Of course it doesn't say what those actions are or if there was even ever an investigation or what was found. They were so much more concerned with charging money for damages that the safety and well-being of their riders. They refuse to remove the charge of the $50 even after they were informed of the whole incident in detail as well as the fact that the driver willingly and hastily took the $20 cash that my friend handed him. I am wanting to bring awareness to this terrible company, the safety issues it ignores, as well as its terrible customer service.

nikij9
7/14/19

I use Lyft often and recently have had numerous drivers cancel rides when they realize that I'm heading somewhere far such as the airport. Riders get charged a fee for canceling rides due to the inconvenience to the driver. I have had numerous rides recently cancelled which inconvenienced me and left me with significantly longer waits. I think drivers should be penalized and riders should receive ride credits when drivers cancel on them.

sunnyd27
6/22/19

I've been using Lyft for a good 2 years now. Going to and from the airport, events and other places I want to go but don't want to hassle with finding parking or walking through acres of parking lot after I've arrived. Love the convenience of being picked up and dropped of right at the front door and I've had such nice experiences with meeting the most kind and positive Lyft drivers. I've been around for a long time and am glad there is a service like this now. Sometimes I am afraid to go here or there because I'm concerned I'll get lost but with Lyft I no longer worry and just go! One more thing.... ** If you want to sign up with coupon code JODI74493 you can get up to $20 off your first ride. **

rustyb23
6/11/19

ZERO customer service. i got stuck at sna and needed a ride. i saw the promo code and thought great id try it. BAD MISTAKE. the promo code installed incorrectly. no way to change or cancel. no way to change or cancel the order. I GOT SCREWED. no customer contact number. the only way was email and ZERO response. as soon as they got my money, complete 180. of course form letter responses and brush off. they could care less and the attitude to the customer is predatory. ill go back to uber. NEVER AGAIN!!! these people are CROOKS!!!!!

chelseyh7
5/29/19

DO NOT USE THIS APP. Fraud has happened to me using this app and I lost almost $100 in rides I DID NOT TAKE I live In Vermont where we don't have lyft so me using it isn't even in the cards. They have no phone number. No customer service and he'll they are stealing money too. Good gob lyft. Hope you get sued. (I would post my bank history if I felt comfortable with it but I sent it to lyft in my complaint and found 10 different rides that there was no possible way it was me.)

camilley3
5/25/19

Lyft used to be my daily transportation. I used to take multiple trips throughout the day. I have made this company alot of money for a goo year in a half. However, this year prices have been absolutely ridiculous even for a shared ride. I never really cared for Uber because of safety reasons as well as prices were higher than Lyft at the time but now I'm seeing that Uber is slightly cheaper than them now as well as neck in neck with prices depending on the time of day. These companies USED to be a great option for people who couldn't afford regular cabs or couldn't deal with the hassle of being late for work from cabs but now I'm thinking both of these companies will end up losing customers to buses and cabs unfortunately. People are even carpooling with each other at work to save money now. I knew this would happen eventually because like all companies everything starts off great then goes down hill after a few years because they stop caring about the people and focus more on the money.

annemichelleb
Anne-Michelle B.
5/17/19

Many of my friends use Lyft when we go out if driving proves to be difficult (i.e. New Years Eve). I had never needed Lyft for myself until recently and thought I would set-up an account for future reference. I decided to download the Lyft app on my tablet. Set-up seemed fairly simple/straightforward....until the company asked for my debit card information. I read banking info was only needed for registration, and would NOT be used for any other purpose without my authority. Immediately after entering my debit card credentials, I was forwarded to a screen with a map and then simultaneously received a message that my driver was on the way. I did NOT order a driver; I was not planning to leave. Nevertheless, my debit card was fraudulently charged with a $15.00 fee so some fat broad could come to my house; this was within a two-mile radius. The rates were out of sight, even if I had wanted/needed a ride. I had to call my bank and dispute the charge, as one CANNOT directly contact the Lyft company. The result of my Lyft experience ended with my debit card marked as void due to wrongful activity and I am currently waiting for a new card to be shipped within the next ten days (if I'm lucky). DO NOT use Lyft... walking would be far easier. I'd even consider hitchhiking after my experience; at best I wouldn't be scammed without my consent...maybe murdered, but not conned by an illegitimate business!

beckyt62
4/12/19

We booked our ride in advance to take us to the airport at 3 am. The driver was supposed to pick up us between 3am to 3:15 am. The driver finally showed up around 3:30 am. When he showed up, he would not pull up to our house but sat down the road about 40 feet. We were all waving our hands at the end of our driveway so he would pull up to us. He did not move so I grabbed my luggage to walk to his car. As I walked up, he pulled ahead and drove past me plus my family. He did not stop. We did not know what he was doing so we waited to see if he was turning around. He did not come back. I watched him on the app and he continued on his route to the airport. I should mention I contacted him several times including before he arrived to our house and also after he drove by us. Given we no longer had a ride to the airport, we had to scramble to our car and get to the airport. I continued to watch the driver on the app and he went to the airport as he said he picked us up. We were then charged for our ride! I contacted Lyft and told them about the experience we had and we barely made our flight by 15 minutes. They said they would be happy to credit my fare for the Lyft ride! I could not believe it. The whole fiasco cost me an additional $120 because this driver was irresponsible and Lyft took no responsibility for it.

christophers447
4/7/19

My issue with Lyft relates to the experience that I had a couple of nights ago.

I needed a ride to the store on the corner. It is less than a mile and normally I would walk. But it was raining and I needed some medicine.

When the driver picked me up, his stereo was up very loud. I take a seat and immediately saw that his windshield was shattered. This wasn't a crack...it was a spiderweb shatter in the center spanning out over the entire windshield. This worried me that not only was his view obstructed but also that it was dangerous.

On top of that, he was texting while driving checking for his next fare I assume (glancing up and down through the cracked windshield while driving in the rain).

This short 2 block dangerous ride was still $7.

I contacted Lyft who responded they "take reports like this very seriously but do not offer refunds".

They might be very slightly cheaper than Uber but at least Uber would have communicated better and offered a refund or credit for the next ride.

I used Lyft 3 times this week and this was my only complaint due to safety and they emailed a generic copy/paste response and told me that I should have requested another ride. However I was standing in the rain, was unaware of the windshield/loud music until I sat down, and did not know he would be staring at his phone while driving.

Some would say that I should have brought my concerns to the driver's attention. I tried...but the driver did not speak English. He just nodded, smiled, and laughed.

booj1
3/13/19

First of all, I caught lyft taking money from my account illegally, and making up million false reasons why there was deduction from the amount I worked. I called several times, and send out multiple emails to lyft, and they mentioned that I am being garnished, when there is absolutely no reason to be garnished. Initially Lyft lied and said it was IRS that was garnishing, then I called IRS and requested documentation that they are not garnishing me. Then I called and emailed again with that information, then they emailed me and changed the story and said it was because I didn't upload my W9 for last year, and I proved to them that I haven't done any lyft trips since 2015(as they can see on their dashboard). Then again they said it was child support, and I am 1M% sure that I didn't have a kid out there, and if I did, the courts would have reached out to me by now. Yet still, I called child support and they gave confirmation that they are not garnishing me, and had no record on me. I still kept getting conflicting information and lies about everything from lyft. After all this back and forth, they finally realized that they have been caught lying and stealing money from me, then they texted me to let me know that I will no longer get deduction from account and it was some type of error, but at the same time they are refusing to refund the money they had already stolen from my account claiming is a garnishment from other agencies. I have been recording all the phone conversations and all the communications I have been having with lyft , and I will make sure to release this information out there so everyone can really know what lyft is doing to their drivers. Especially to poor drivers that doesn't have the education and knowledge to try to understand why you taking money from them.

msdanak
2/14/19

I haven't had any problems with Lyft, but this one recent incident with the use of service on January 26th. That it was not me is taking me through the ringer, since I have proof about that day now their saying it was on the 25th it just says the 26th, when I didn't use them that day either and I also have proof of that day also. I just wonder who do I go to next? (maybe headquarters) they're really making me sceptical of their service like uber...Talking about I rode with Godfrey. Who the Hell is Godfrey, I never ever even seen a Damn Godfrey...Not those days in particular

debraf119
1/29/19

I have been a long time rider with LYFT but that is OVER.

I had a driver pick me up a couple days ago in Buffalo, NY. As usual, I took the back seat. I was preoccupied with something on my phone and did not realize the driver had an "unauthorized third party" - a female companion - who was riding along in the car until we were a couple blocks into the ride and after the driver had deviated from the route, driving through several unfamiliar side neighborhoods as a "short cut".

I reported this incident to Lyft and requested a refund (or credit) for *this* ride. The refund was requested because the driver VIOLATED LYFTs contract with me - their customer.

Per LYFT's grossly substandard (seriously - it's hot garbage) customer service department - I "should have" canceled the ride in the middle of a trip and exited the vehicle *in a strange neighborhood* and then called a new LYFT to take me where I wanted to go --

Seems legit - it totally makes sense that I should not only put myself at additional risk by escalating a situation with a driver who CLEARLY HAS NO REGARD FOR THE RULES AND PROTOCOLS OF HIS JOB - but also I should pay 2 base fees for their ill-trained driver breaking their contract.

LYFT's outsourced "Quezon City" customer service team has not only lost this company MY business as a longtime rider but also ensured that the app was uninstalled by the 3 OTHER RIDERS in my household who also previously used their service.

kiml287
1/2/19

I normally never write a bad review but, his time I need to. The location of my home was never a problem for previous drivers. Recently the drivers have not been able to find my house. It might be a G.P.S. Issue. I watched the progress map as the driver passed my house. I contacted the driver, to tell her my exact location. She began yelling at me and wouldn't stop. I didn't take the ride. I hope I don't get charged another cancellation fee after that abuse. About two months ago I scheduled a ride by error. I immediately called the driver to cancel, but I was charged a cancellation fee anyway. Some of the drivers are very rude, you never know what you're in for.
I would not take Lyft if I were you. The service is unreliable. My experience with customer service is so-so. I requested a call back and their system called me and put me on hold blasting the most irritating music ever. The first person I spoke with was attentive and apologetic. He transferred me over to the billing department for a refund on the previous ride. I spoke with a truly snippy brat and she, of course, patronized me and denied me a refund. Lyft was a good service at first. I don't know what's happened. If you can get another ride, you should do so.

Tip for consumers: Don't

caroll277
1/1/19

While Lyft cab drivers have been punctual, reliable and their vehicles clean, Lyft offers are deceptive and ambiguous in wording, "Up to December 31st" means midnight on December 30. 50% really means a maximum of 6 dollars per ride no matter what the cost and mileage of the distance. Watch for the fine print which takes a lawyer to navigate; when trying to clarify what transpired, customer service online is rather harder to reach, and when reached, contradictory in its communication.

laurencem43
12/20/18

this is a scam and the app won't even let you register. good thing, too, because most people report sheisty dealings with the payments, etc.

overkillt
11/19/18

I used to like Lyft because it wasn't Uber. However, their new Shared Ride feature has forced me to remove my profile. I had to go to work and my father, who uses a walker, needed to go to his doctor. I dropped him off at his doctor's office and went my way to work. An hour later, I was contacted that his appointment was over. So, I got a shared Lyft ride for my father to get him home. Several minutes later, I got a notification from the Lyft app that the I was charged a $5 no show fee. I contacted my father and he told me that he was trying to get to the Lyft car driven by Moises with a Toyota Corolla with a partial license plate of 7SUA who drove by really fast and waited at the end of the block. A reminder that my father uses a walker. Apparently, you have to be at the car within a minute or else lose your ride. My father cannot walk that fast and you expect him to walk to the car within a minute where it would take him five to get to the car? I did not get a call from Moises asking me where my father was. I was so upset that this guy does not have any customer service skills that I left work angrily and drove to my father's location as fast as possible before something bad happens to him. That was it for me. If Lyft and that driver wanted to make quick money without the responsibility of actually providing the service I had ask for, I say for everyone of you to delete your accounts and no longer use their service and don't get a ride from Moises either. Don't let something like this happen to you or your loved one so you can be taken advantage of or even worse, something bad happens to you or your loved one using their service.

lindah706
11/16/18

Last week I elected a ride share on the way to the airport and about halfway to ATL airport, my driver received a notification that a rider was added. The driver took the next exit so that he could turnaround to go back to where he picked me up so that he could pick up the added rider. Here's what I don't get about Lyft, why would you add a rider that will require the driver to change his direction, like in my case, required the driver to turn-around and head back in the direction opposite from where we were heading? We were already 15 minutes in route and the driver had to turn-around and go back to where he picked me up just to add another rider. Is it not possible to only add riders who are heading in the same direction that the driver is in route to? I was late getting to the airport because he had to turn-around and head back in the opposite direction to pickup a rider. Is this not a simple fix for you guys to make? Seriously, it's a problem that you need to address.

patrickg198
11/7/18

I've been having terrible experiences with Lyft so far. Drivers taking longer routes to destinations, arriving late, not where I need or not arriving at all. Combine all of this with ridiculous prices and its pretty obvious that I will not use this service anymore.

keiths231
10/26/18

Honestly, I don't want friend like that. Price range is just ridiculous. If you try to get a lyft in the evening the price is going to be 2x or even 3x than the day price. So what, I need to pay 70$ for a ride? Come on....

marcelaa6
10/14/18

The app will show you 3 types of cars : " depending" on the number of passangers, so if we were 5, we chose the option XL That says for 6 ... well, they sent a Nissan Sentra, were only 4 fit+ driver. We couldn't even put seat belts on because we were all squeeze and of of us almost on the lap.of the other. So, they Charged us as an XL car being a small car!!!! It's almost $10 the difference between one car and the other... First is not safety riding a car like that and second they charged us something we didn't have... never use it again. The driver was very kind and nice person, but This issue makes me.feel that lyft just needed my money and sent me what ever they want it.... No more

carrief60
10/6/18

Lyft app pings where you're at. This is the second time this night that lyft has ping me at the wordolf on the Vegas Strip I was never there.
I got cancellation fees of $5 each
why is this my fault when your app is messed up
if you don't return my $10 cancellation fee for the two rides that you said that I missed
I will not use your service again
and if you look at my receipts I would say that I'm very good customer with you I use your service everyday sometimes three four times a day

maryb941
10/1/18

I was overcharged two separate times in one night. The worse part is there is NO way to get a human customer service rep on the phone.

I will only use UBER from now on

jaquiem
9/27/18

To begin, they are LEAGUES better than Yellow Cab, and slightly less expensive than Uber.

That said, our first few rides went swimmingly well, to the point that we became addicted to not driving, and just taking Lyfts everywhere. A few of the drivers however weren't the greatest, so we pretty much stopped using Lyft altogether.

I guess Uber got the better/nicer drivers.

teeyam
8/8/18

I have ridden over 60 rides with Lyft services. All have been average to great experiences with the exception of my last ride. The last occasion I rode with Lyft I left an item in one of their drivers vehicles , and realized within a 5 minutes time span that I had left it. I contacted the driver back while walking into my office and he didn't answer. Throughout the day he proceeded to ignore my calls and messages. I finally reached him later that night and he explained that he didn't see or didn't find it in his vehicle. This was very hard to believe considering I was sitting in the front, it was left in the front seat, and it was bright silver and pink. He advised me to contact the Lyft Help support which advised there was pretty much nothing they could do because basically it was my fault I left it in the drivers car. Although it wasn't my fault the driver decided to keep it and ignore me the rest of the day. Its whatever I guess I will take it as a loss because to Lyft , it was MY FAULT that I had a dishonest driver. If my driver would have just answered my calls instead of deciding he wanted to keep my wallet than there wouldn't have been an issue. Then again Lyfts current policy does absolutely nothing to infringe punishment or justice for individuals who decide to keep lost items. So basically if I was my driver, I would have kept it as well because I knew nothing would have happened to me. There is absolutely no form of deterrence present in their policy. Altogether with what was lost in the wallet and the cost of my last ride, I payed $213 out of pocket for that 10 minute ride , one in which I have regretted every day since then. Lyft needs to review their policy on lost or stolen items, or maybe just need to employ more honest individuals. Either way I will never be requesting or referring their services to anyone else.

88 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

They randomly out of the blue deactivated my account. This was there explanation. we found your account to be violating our Terms of Service and you will no longer be able to use the Lyft platform. I can honestly I have not violated anything so clearly there is something wrong with there information but the worst thing is they dont even tell you what the problem is. Oh well guess take my business to uber instead.

By samta v.

Lft runs different promotions and depending on promotion they promise a signup bonus(500-1100$).now if they really pay the bonus it's totally up to their discretion.in my case they didn't pay. I completed the 60 Rides required in the first 30 days,which was the requirment to qualify for the bonus but they still didn't pay.after a brief email exchange with a lyft employee(they do not give their position or full name) they stopped answering.now I am filing a complain with BBB and I will let you know where it goes when I have updates.

By Constantin R.

Lyft's customer service is terrible. If they won't correct it, file a dispute with your credit card company.

By david y.

I hope you haven't started doing this. Reading the reviews I can tell both Uber or Lyft are shanty style of business. It was very surprising that new generations with ultra modern technologies has no concept of human factors in their business model. The drivers are simply robots to generate revenues to them. I drove Uber for two months and couldn't take their lies and manipulation. Please don't waste time whether it is Lyft or Uber. You won't even make one tenth of the minimum wage while taking all the insult and humiliation.

By Jon W.

You made a sound decision. Anyone who can maintain two dollars of checking account balance it is not worth doing. Driving for ride sharing business is the last resort for desperate people. Some reason the misleading hype has spread out of proportion nationwide.

By Jon W.

I guarantee try Lyft and Try Uber and Lyft BLOWS UBER AWAY ! SAFER DRIVERS, MUCH BETTER SCREENED IN PERSON BY THE WAY, ACTUAL TRAINING WITH A MENTOR, BETTER DRIVER PERKS AND SUPPORT .... DRIVERS MUCH NICER AND HAPPIER THAN UBER DRIVERS..... UBER NEEDS TO GET A HANDLE ON THEIR HIRING PROCESS AND BACKGROUNDS CHECKS AND START GETTING PERSONABLE WITH THEIR PERSPECTIVE DRIVERS.... BY SCREENING THEM PERSONALLY JUST BY LOOKING AT SOMEONE YOU CAN TELL IF THEY ARE OFF OR NOT MENTALLY AND OF THEY SHOW ANY SIGNS I WOULD FAIL THE PERSON IMMEDIATELY. .... NO QUESTIONS ASKED. UNTIL UBER MAKES THESE CHANGES I WON'T SET FOOT IN AN UBER VEHICLE...... LYFT DOES HAVE BETTER SERVICE OVERALL FOR BOTH DRIVERS AND CUSTOMERS..... UBER CLEAN UP YOUR ACT. IF YOUR A FEMALE DAYS ARE SAFER IN GENERAL EARLY EVENING BUT AFTER 9 PM ALL BETS ARE OFF.... REMEMBER IT'S YOUR CAR SO YOU CAN TURN DOWN A RIDE ANYTIME IF YOU FEEL UNSAFE MAKING THE PICK UP..... THE BEST PERSON TO PROTECT YOU IS YOU.

By Carlos R.

They have to approve your character/personality. Smile more often, tell a joke next time around. Make sure your car is in top shape, clean, a/c working/heater working. Check all light signals are working. Too many details they check off on.

By Wilson T.

To tell you the truth, drunk people at night are the worst... more likely to get a 1 star to 3 stars frankly because they don't care and not paying attention so much to the rating system, i.e. not thinking. If you maintain your courtesy and are friendly and provide any useful information requested from a rider or simply tell a story about something positive happening in the city that day or smile often, just don't be creepy. Can get you to 5 stars more often and be familiar with your city.

By Wilson T.

Both are covered, read the terms to be sure.

it's too late.

By Wilson T.
Questions? Get answers from the Lyft staff and other customers.

8 Photos for Lyft