Review of Listia

Mountain View, CA 94041, US
james@listia.com

micheller408
5/15/19

Sent a used flea market doll instead of CHI set.
BEWARE
won a CHI hair set, received a used Disney doll like it came straight out of the trash
Came from JOHN C BLAIR from Chittenango NY, thanks John you're now on BLAST!

toddd106
4/18/19

A lot of you people here leaving whiny reviews are just either lazy, boring or greedy. Listia has some of the most unique items, down to Earth people. I have ever bet! With most things in life you get back what you put into it. Some of you I can tell didn't and you don't know how to be successful and then you cry that it stinks. Listia ROCKS!!!

sophial32
3/1/19

This company used to be great according to my friends but when I dealt with them I just came to know that they are theifs. Company has turned into complete joke.Total scam now! Now I avoid buying from other people on here unless I have built a relationship with them because i have been scammed too many times and listia's dispute team does pretty much nothing.

ks354
2/21/19

So Very Horrible, too many scammers, liars, and people who will take advantage of you Then give you a negative review.

jenniferr429
12/12/18

I like the site but it is expensive. It used a great site in the beginning but then the prices sky rocketed and I rarely use the site anymore.

michelem98
11/27/18

I really tried to use this site. I was looking for an alternative to eBay. Less out of pocket and you can unload a lot of stuff. But you really can't trust people-and I mean AT ALL. There are very few controls on accurate descriptions and whether items are sent after an auction ends. Yes, you can get great deals in a barter-like system. But for each "deal," expect 1-3 problems. Consider as well the issue of postage. If someone charges postage, it is often inflated to compensate for the fact that they aren't making money on the item. By the time you pay postage, you could've bought the item. Many sellers hide postage costs.

Now, if you are a seller? If you offer free shipping, you get more bidders - but remember that it comes out of your pocket and might actually land in the hole. Plus you get some very unrealistic buyers who don't understand that you don't control the post office. They will file a complaint if they don't instantly receive it.

Now, let's talk disputes. It is burdensome and often illogical. Don't expect it to protect you. There are no solid rules to really protect you on either side.

I should also note that this is presented like a barter system but pay attention to your actual financial cost. It will send you back to ebay

jacksonr22
11/4/18

I just created an account and it says "Bidding disabled due to suspension" I got no email saying im suspended or anything but i cant bid now... very dissapointed.

kristic56
10/23/18

Auctioned off some pretty high value items, including a 1960 original Ponytail Barbie I got 1 million credits for. Out of the dozen items I sold, I was unable to send 3 of them. I'm each case I was upfront with buyer and requested the file a dispute so I could refund their credits. My feedback was all positive except 1. I went on my account 1 morning, got the information to ship another 4 items and upon leaving the post office, went to log in to update tracking information and Couldn't. It would not let me log in to my account. When I contacted customer service I was told it had been suspended. Because I didn't shop my items as promised. Ok - fine. Whatever. Even though I shipped 80% of my items and had mostly positive feedback. Oh well, right. But- wait a minute... what about the 1.5 million credits I had already accumulated and what about the items I literly just sent off? For expensive, brand new items that had value??? Did I seriously just pay to give someone my stuff? Wtf??? I could not even log in to contact customer service. I had to go around the log in to sent an email, which I was told sorry bout your luck- read the fine print- it's virtual currency and property of Listia. You didn't 'sell' your items- you 'gave' them away. Huh? Ummm... yeah I sold them- there was an auction and everything and how can you say the credits have no monetary value when you literly give a dollar amount for what it costs to 'buy' an item if you don't have enough credits. And what about the credits I paid real cash for? How Can They Do That??? Most frustrating, shady, underhanded 'business' I have Ever Ever encountered! No warning. Why not just suspend me from selling for a while? Why not give me a 3 day warning that I needed to spend my credits or they would be forfeit? Did they refund the winners of my auctions those credits they stole from me? No! What about my roughly $400 worth of merchandise I now get nothing for? What about the $50- $60 I paid out in shipping feed? They just get to keep it? I basically paid to 'give away' my high value, brand new stuff. It's so disgusting it's laughable. I still get so angry over this. I wonder how many people they do this too. They are Thieves!!!

emmyh5
9/13/18

I waited 7 full days for a seller to send my package off and watched the timer go all the way to zero. So, I requested a refund since nothing had been sent and it had been over the 7 days. In fact an hour after I sent the request in, it was already 8 days that passed.Then it stated on the auction that an agent will look at it and determine what to do.. what ever.. so Agent Listia Richard gets on and says it hasn't even been 7 days.. Well.. That was a big lie. Ive been in Listia for years, this happens all the time with buyers and sellers and I can definitely READ. So, I knew it had been over 7 days. And i told him about it right on the auction. I guess he didn't like that! But, when it comes to my being right and someone telling me I'm wrong, I will express how I feel and you will hear about it! So, then I noticed he wasn't going to give me my refund even though i was in the right. So, I decided to send in 2 separate support tickets and of course I would get Listia Richard to see them both.. ( he evidently is the only agent there) LOL he immediately wrote solved on both and never did a dang thing to help. It goes to show that AGENT LISTIA RICHARD does not follow the Listia rules at all. I would never have somebody like that working for me!! Low as you go! I'm glad there is a lot of different sites to auction items off on because I am looking into them now. Surely they are better than Listia! I'm not dealing with deceiving agents who can't abide by the rules that they set!

Response from Tom F., Listia Representative
Hi Emmy,

I'm sorry to hear about the inconvenience. Please let us know what your support ticket number was so we can review it. You can also submit a new support ticket here in case you can't find it: https://help.listia.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Thank you
tommyr35
7/11/18

I used to Free Trade often when it first started...I was with the first large group of users.
It was AweSOME.
I had to step back from it for a while.
I returned to find a "dollars-to-credits" type of trade thing happening like a virtual currency & it has changed the face of the once-upon-a-time "Free Trade"...to the negative, unfortunately.

I'm saddened by this.

Response from Tom F., Listia Representative
Hi Tommy,

I'm sorry to hear about this. Please feel free to voice your concerns/requests to us so the team can review it. Thank you. https://help.listia.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
joshuac143
6/20/18

I have been a Member since Apr 16, 2011. When I first joined the site it was awesome. I loved "buying" and "selling" things I was interested in, however they messed up with the "buy it now" option. Prices inflated and good items were harder to come by. Yet I stuck by their side. Now with this new crypto-currency taking hold on Listia it's a sinking ship. They're going down a very terrible path.

jenniferj262
6/13/18

They stole 80% of the value of all credits in the blink of an eye. Do not use, total scam now. Used to love buying and selling because you didn't have to buy their credits you could auction stuff and do it for free but now it's terrible

jonathann7
5/6/18

This company has turned into a complete joke. Guess they brought their own downfall and I feel sorry for the employees since its only the big shots that are reaping the negative side affects. Want a better place go to swiftdemand same thing but better https://www.swiftdemand.com/?referred_by=007swiftdemand

deec74
4/1/18

I was with Listia from Day 3 of launch. It had a rough start and then evolved into a fun site. Then they offered 'Get it Now' buying. As a result, inflation soared. Now they've jumped on the high-risk crypto currency bandwagon. During that transition, I spent down the credits I had and decided that Listia was no longer worth my time. It's so much cheaper to buy from eBay since many Listia sellers are listing their products at outrageous prices. Items I planned to sell on Listia are now being sold weekly at the local flea market. What doesn't sell goes to charity. I will maintain my membership should things change; but for now, goodbye, Listia.

nates35
3/20/18

When you look into the past of this site, you will see most of the "auctions" come out of China, where you have to pay shipping and handling, also provide your credit card number. Despite that, the site use to be fun. Could get some great items real cheap if we're talking "credits." Now that XNX is here, it's like you need a wheelbarrow full of XNX, where before it would only cost a few credits or so. Got ripped off a few times by "buyers." They took my merchandise and also demanded a refund (and got it). Honestly, this site now leaves you wide open to identity theft and getting ripped off as well. It is going to be totally awesome in a couple weeks when Trump places the tariffs on China and leaves them high and dry. In the meantime it's time to ditch this site. There is no way possible that Listia does not know what is going on, nor can they deny being part of this racket!

deanh66
3/19/18

It was a hurting site because of the OUT OF CONTROL INFLATION but now that Listia has changed its trading currency to its VERY OWN XNK... most users have left the site. Listia is now a Chinese HACKER site run by Chinese HACKERS.

amandaa21
3/15/18

firstly, i avoid buying from other people on here unless i have built a relationship with them because i have been scammed too many times and listia's dispute team does pretty much nothing. therefore, i only used the site to sell and transferred my points into cash money. i was selling brand new items i was unable to sell in my amazon store so it's not like i was selling junk. i was selling about 5-10 items weekly with a 100% rating.
lastly, now it has changed to some form of cryptocurrency no one uses or accepts off of listia. therefore, if i can't use this new currency off the site it's pointless for me to keep selling.
very disappointed, i feel like i have no choice but to leave.

jenniferc345
3/15/18

Every company has a hayday and then eventually they crash.

there is a new currency in town - XNK. Does everyone hate it? YES
Is it being falsely advertised on LISTIA? YES
Did I loose money on a FREE site? YES

$0.052165 USD
Listia advertises the wrong conversion rate and the bottom just fell out on the market. My money is currently on hold and I am sitting on old credits worth nothing and no way to get out. No one sells good things anymore and this was the final knife in the company. They are done.

I'm out and I'm a 100% feedback seller with over 8 years of experience. Get out now.

patriciaj90
3/5/18

I do not like this new system, how does it work and how do you con vert ink to credits to get things. It is too confusing.

pavlosp6
2/26/18

Its garbage , they close my account and they took my money , nobody answer me 1 week now . they are thiefs

ceciliah13
2/23/18

Once I did have a bad experience from Listia I won two auctions and the "seller"did have a tracking number but did not send everything I had won

lorriea5
2/12/18

Listia used to be good. You could actually get some things for a reasonable amount of credits. Now, it's nearly impossible with the crazy amount of inflation and it's ridiculous the amount of credits that people want for some things when it's obvious they are nowhere near the amount these people think they are worth. It comes across as greedy which is unfortunate for the people who are actually honest and fair on there.

tammiel6
1/8/18

People trying to pass off jewelry as the real thing for way to many credits! I loved Listia but now it's crap. Overpriced junk. I use eBay and get lots better deals! People are so greedy!

stellac19
12/27/17

Awful awful site. It used to be good.
But they don't care about your privacy! Contacted them about it and they didn't even touch on it at all.
A lot of scammers on there & people putting recipes that they clearly took from other sites.
Run far away!

wendyw118
12/3/17

I think it's worth mentioning my current credit balance is 879,900 with over 200,000 credits pending coming to me while the items I've sold are being shipped and the only money I've spent resulting from my usage of Listia has gone to the USPS or Dollar Tree. I've never bought credits on the site, or shipped through the site and all of my auctions are offered at FREE SHIPPING. The money I've spent is a result of the purchase of stamps and envelopes. I think knowing the financial aspect of usage of the site is important when evaluating others reviews.

I've been using Listia for a few years and I do have to agree with most reviewers that the value of using the site is trending downward. My major issue is that a vast majority of sellers are asking ridiculous prices for their goods. Kind of like when you go to a yard sale and people say "yes but I paid $2,000 for that couch in 1997 " well, the value of goods is what people are willing to pay for the item now. Not what you paid for it when purchased new. So your 20-year-old broken down outdated couch is probably now worth $50 regardless of how much you paid for it.

But here's the thing, YOU DON'T HAVE TO PURCHASE THE ITEM! So while I agree with most reviews about the ridiculous pricing, for me it just makes the site less valuable and I don't see this as making the people at Listia.com as scammers. For me it's a perception issue, I do think that Listia could address this issue and make the site more valuable like it once was by addressing/requiring some standards from their sellers and exercising tighter controls. I'm sure no one wants Listia setting prices but if they evened out the playing field with necessary criteria from their sellers (and enforced those criteria) in order to offer an item it could drive pricing down. I personally would like to see a pricing valuation guideline just for reference. Similar to the one that I use for valuing my donations to charity when I do my taxes. I would like to think it may deter some of those sellers who aren't really using Listia in the way I think it was intended. When I first began using the site it was like an online yard sale, sadly it does feel more like eBay these days. I think Listia can still be fun and there are definitely ways of buying and selling on the site that are more successful than others. I personally only buy/sell goods for my craft projects. These items are typically lightweight and therefore I only purchase those that are shipped for free and I'm always able to offer free shipping. As a seller, I only sell items that I no longer have a use for and previously may have donated to Goodwill so I offer an item at 499 credit start (which is as high as the price can go and the listing still be free to the seller) and let the auction go from there. I believe this is how Listia was intended to be used. Sending that item is going to cost me a stamp or two and a box of envelopes every few months. Very little cost to me and the seller so it's a win/win. I would definitely feel differently if I were selling an electronics item I paid hundreds of dollars for a few months ago that weighed 5 pounds. I think this type of usage being out of line with the concept has created major issues. I'd love to see Listia get back to doing a great job of filling the niche of "one person's trash is someone else's treasure."

I should mention that I've not had an issue where I needed to dispute or had one of my transactions disputed so I can't speak to that issue and that seems to be a recurring theme in other reviews. So overall I see the site headed in the wrong direction but do think it is still a great concept. There is always a price for freedom and with Listia not micromanaging their sellers you are always going to have liars, gypsies, tramps and thieves in any business. There are some protections at least touted on the site, so my suggestion is to know that information very well so that you can do all that you can to protect yourself on either side of the transaction and to hold Listia accountable for their claims. I think it's a case of a few bad apples ruining things for everyone as well acceptance of the current social and corporate trend of it being admirable to get what you can, when you can and while you can without regard for integrity.

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Stacy L some sellers can even display they really sent mail, they take digital photo when they send mail. they can even show out. but because listia recoginze tracking code. even if you can even display the mail and correct address correct person, showing u had really sent mail, because no tracking code. listia would still return all credit back to buyer.

By castele l.

Jackie R your friend only buy item from your username, and NOT buying from others. it's a kind of dishonesty, and a fraud in listia. even if 2 are diff people because that person only buys your username things, and nobody else so yes you both will be suspended.

By Vicario L.

its just a game even the verified people you cant trust to many children on listia and grown men that act like children

By gregory d.
Helpful answer -3

Listia is an online marketplace where you win other people's stuff using credits instead of money. All users on our site act as both a Buyer and Seller. If you are bidding on items you want from our site, you are considered a Buyer. If you are giving away items on our site, you are considered a Seller :)

By Tom F., Listia Representative

They don't deal in cash, unless you want to buy listia credits. That being said, you can make some bank if you have a good product by what credits you make on it. Then, you could use those credits to bid on gift cards and more pricey stuff that has actual value. I use the site for hard to find seeds, and it has been good for me. As for making money????? Not so easy to see a real profit.

By Sharon Y.

suspended people should not love listia, they should work together to anti listia.

By castele l.

the rules say 5 completed auctions all with positive feedback, and if you have had a negative feedback before that then you have to get your % above 90 % feedback to get them.

By brian c.

I don't know. I have never tried and won't. Listia is garbage. Try Etsy or EBay. Even with little items, it costs very little to list items(20 cents) and they take 10% of your sale price. I list in both locations and eBay has an amazing 'buyer gets what they ordered or they get their money back' policy. Check it out.

By MEREDITH M.

Actually Gw it is not about the clicks or fan me and i'll fan you back. although it is a nice gesture, i do not fan people who i am not personal friends with or they have awesome inventories. so i ahve under 100 ppl fanned meanwhile i think just broke 1400 people following me... of which probably half are active. wish listia had a way to regularly reach out to all your fans... not manually click each and email...

By Cordial T.

If you are having any bad issues with Listia, been banned and you lost your credits ? paid for shipping, then banned ? Usres are banned after sending outvaluables and loose your credits with no way to spend them ? Hundreds of usres aree being banned by inexperienced represenatives forno apparent reason. have anissue you would like to discuss ? please share and post on our page at https://www.facebook.com/ListiaReviews/ We are makig a page to confront Listia and its bad business practices. Please Share! and post your issues.

By nick b.
Questions? Get answers from the Listia staff and other customers.

Listia?