ISSUU

ISSUU has a consumer rating of 1.32 stars from 53 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. ISSUU also ranks 97th among Magazines sites. The most common issues with ISSUU are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

No positive highlights yet

• I'm really disappointed with your customer service and I regret creating an account at your website in the first place.
  • However, they continued to bill my credit card ever since.
How would you rate ISSUU?

“They were cool!”

Paola G.
2/26/20

I had to wait five days for the answer but they were very good. I lost the password and my email didn't exist anymore. I needed to log in and delete the old version to put a new one. I show them the new version in a new account and thay help me to cange the password to delete old account. I must say thanks to Amalie because was my mistake to lose the password!

“Good at taking your money. Bad at giving anything in return.”

Lord V.
5/30/20

I set up my sales with Issuu because I liked the way they present books. They looked pretty professional. But at $45 per month I would expect a lot more traction from potential customers. Another service I use is free and sells way more units. I'm now locked out of my account- Can't even cancel- and I'm still being charged. Steer clear.

customer service (9) credit card (5)
lordv85
May 30th, 2020

Steer clear.
joslynw1
September 11th, 2020
This Issuu site has placed my name, my business and the name of my publication up saying that we were a scam. First and foremost, I never, ever, ever signed up with Issuu. Therefore, they should not have anything representing my publication, my name or anything else. I reached out to Issue on March 5,2019 and they said that they were addressing the issue. Today I go through Google and find something very uncomplimentary about my publication which lists my name. Issuu is now a party in a Libel and Slander matter.
paolag23
February 26th, 2020
I had to wait five days for the answer but they were very good.
I lost the password and my email didn't exist anymore.
I needed to log in and delete the old version to put a new one.
I must say thanks to Amalie because was my mistake to lose the password!
louisef58
May 30th, 2019
Call us@ *******750 for 123.hp.com/support of 123 HP Printer wired and wireless setup. Install HP ePrint from 123.hp.com/setup
danielw148
February 4th, 2020
Around late January, 2020 I was checking my e-mail and noticed a message stating "Welcome to the Issuu publishing community". I was like "Who is Issuu?" So I clicked on the link and it took me to a cheesy looking so called publishing site for writers and artists. I knew the second I saw the page I had never signed up. The reason I knew? Because I am a published writer world wide in several languages and I own my own publishing Co. And have distribution through a couple of outlets. I don't need Issuu. Here's what I feel happened. I think they saw my books somewhere. Then searched my name for my business e-mail and signed me up without my knowing or permission, not knowing I hardly need them or what seems like their criminal activities. So I made a new password and signed in because I didn't know the password someone had made up for me. I then deleted the page. Very pathetic and disgusting and scummy if you ask me?
emilys437
November 30th, 2019
Signed up to free trial - the publishing itself is not great, you're better off uploading a pdf file. The functionality is basic. But worst of all, unethical practice not to notify customers when free trial ends, bill immediately and not offer refund or partial refund if you cancel the subscription before the end of a billing cycle. I'm out of pocket 400USD despite cancelling the first day of the billing cycle. Highly unethical no care for customers.
courtneyh117
March 15th, 2019
I have That Girl At The Party, an online Lifestyle site of 10 years and decided to add a monthly edition. I was thrilled with the Issuu concept and all my brand partners loved it. The problem came after my second edition. I need to be able to embed the Issuu reader into my site to promote the existence of the monthly. The embed code has not worked for a month now so the old edition is still on the site!

And I have been asking for help for a month now. I filled out tickets that just whirl and never submit, I have called and no one answers. I have emailed the support and heard nothing back! For a flipping month! I am paying for this service and likely will not be able to use it unless this is fixed! But no one is getting back or doing anything. It is such a shame because it is a beautiful platform and allows us to self publish. But it has to work and they need to hire customer service for subscribers.

I want to stay with Issuu for ease of use and promotion. But I may have to seek another option because they do not bother with any customer service which is a shame. It creates great magazines but if anything goes wrong in uploads or embeds you are just out of luck. But I am going to have to report them to the authorities and/or commence a class action, if I do not hear back after this review. Because they are taking people's money and not providing proper service. I

Tip for consumers: I want to stay with Issuu for ease of use and promotion. But I may have to seek another option because they do not bother with any customer service which is a shame. It creates great magazines but if anything goes wrong in uploads or embeds you are just out of luck.

oliviab125
December 8th, 2019
I'm shocked of being charged 200 with my knowing as I meant to sign up for the free plan, and they are not available for refund. They are just unreachable.
This is a highly unprofessional manner.
A pure fraud.
It'a pity as I was really curious about this company and it's functions.
kaloya
November 19th, 2019
Awful! I tried isuu today to check them out before going for a premium, but it seems that this site is totally scam!, They charge me $1.00 USD after putting my credit details. It seems this SIte is a FRAUD! And to warn you guys! THEY ARE COLLECTING CREDIT DETAILS! I am totally suspicious right now and will try to cancel my credit card immediately or change it! BE CAREFUL OF THIS SITE!
jeniw
March 31st, 2010
I have just started using this site. Sometimes things don't load so fast, and there are some challenges getting it to do what I need it to do, but I've found it a very slick and professional site with functions that can be embedded into my own websites and other digital productions.

Their spiel -:
Issuu is the leading digital publishing platform delivering exceptional reading experiences of magazines, books, catalogs, reports, and more. In just a few seconds users can create beautiful digital editions simply by uploading their publications. It's our mission to empower individuals, companies, and institutions to publish their documents across all digital platforms.
chriso1
3,279 helpful votes
July 31st, 2010
Very much a web 2.0 publishing solution, all the way down to the short, meaningless and easily misspelled name, Issuu creates a very polished online presentation of any PDF file that you upload to it. Documents may include any of the normal content types in a PDF file, which means just about anything you'd see in an on-paper magazine. A neat feature allows you to make alterations to your publications after they've gone online, too, something which is fairly advanced for PDF files.

As a free user, you have to tolerate some advertising, apparently, though running Firefox with AdBlock Plus I haven't seen any myself yet. There are separate solutions for home and business use. And aside from being able to present your file as a virtual publication on the Issuu website, you may also embed Issuu code into your web pages, if you have them, and instead of your visitors having to download your web documents and view them locally, Issuu will embed an application into your website so that they can be viewed directly on the page. Lastly a version of Issuu is also available for the Android cell phone platform but not, at the time of writing, the iPhone, on which Apple are still deliberating. When it does come, it will offer a full-blown publishing platform on your iPhone, as if you really needed any more apps than you already have (always room for another one though).

The online interface is very slick and has now had long enough to mature into a capable and flexible presentation. As a reader you can zoom in and out and move your position on the page with your cursor in a similar way that you would move an offline PDF page around on your screen. You can see thumbnails of all the pages, and choose how you would like the document itself to be presented. It feels like an attempt to meld the features you'd expect in a PDF reader with the extra features you'd find in a comic book (. Cbr,. Cbz) file reader.

Initially I had a major gripe with this presentation, which was wholly unsuitable for my elderly 1024x768 laptop, using the proprietary IBM method of getting around the screen without a mouse or touchpad. It was almost uncontrollable, slow and unwieldy enough to make me feel it was just too much trouble to be worth the effort to load it up. Which in itself took far too long. Then I discovered the "paper view", which is pretty much identical to viewing a PDF page by page, offline. Much, much better. Though again, there was an unacceptable delay of up to half a minute while pages loaded at full quality. This is going to affect users of older machines, in the main, though I suspect there is also going to be a performance hit for netbook users. But it's still a far better way to view the document than the default all-bells-and-whistles version.

This has been voted one of the top 50 websites on the internet, and for the average user it's very slick. It offers businesses, amateurs and complete publishing beginners the opportunity to present their work in a way they couldn't normally afford if they were trying to do it on paper, and it provides them with a venue where their fans can read the publications for free. It's a great way to promote yourself as a writer, photographer or even fashion model, and even high street magazines can use it to post older copies of their products as a way of promoting their titles. I would definitely consider using it myself for a photographic blog that needed some free window dressing.

I will venture the opinion, though, that the benefits of doing it this way over the now old-fashioned simple download and read offline, are not that great if you're able to use a private computer to download files to. Mainly, it's going to save your disk space, which today is so cheap anyway that most users aren't bothered, and it relieves you of the need to create a website of your own, though even there, a blog will suffice and you can have one of those running in a matter of minutes. However, for those stuck with using a public, school or office terminal to which downloads are not permitted, it's the only way to view these files.

So how do you create a PDF file in the first place? Adobe Acrobat is horrendously expensive, you don't even want to look there. Most other PDF applications only view and print, not create. Fortunately though, there are free and open source applications for both Windows and Linux, which work on one of two principles. The first type allows you to convert files you have created in other programs - Photoshop and MS Word, for example - into PDF pages that you can then make into a single multi-page PDF file. The most common alternative is a PDF printer driver, which convinces your computer that it's sending the material to a physical printer, when in fact it's creating a PDF file out of it. Either way is good, and if you Google for "free pdf creator" you should find a few of each quite easily. There are also paid-for but much cheaper alternatives to Adobe which allow you to work directly on a PDF project. Hunt around, and don't buy the first and most expensive one you come across because there's going to be a cheaper and possibly better alternative.

Once you've started to publish yourself and seen the results, you may never look back. The days when publishing was the domain of professional publishing companies to which you would pay large sums of money in the hope of getting a bit back, are long gone. Sorry, guys. You've been out-evolved, or at least, you're on the way. The asteroid is coming. Whether Issuu is going to be the dinosaur-killer, though, I'm not really sure. It feels like an idea which is still clumsier in the execution than it is in the concept.

Oh, yeah... the name really sucks. So far I've misspelled it four times in half an hour. But I guess that's Web 2.0 philosophy for you, though this is a particularly irritating example of it IMO.
tq7
March 24th, 2017
Have noticed conflicting information about the ISSUU site. A "cottage" publisher (blogger) indicates on their page that their copyrighted "free" magazine that appears on ISSUU is available to visitors for FREE DOWNLOAD, without sign-in. However, when I tried to download the "free" magazine, the ISSUU system requires a log-in. Also, when visiting the ISSUE site from a vendor's link, the free magazine appears, but does not appear full screen. There appears to be lots of 'junk' advertising for issuu services crowding much of the page, without any immediately recognizable means of converting the magazine image to full screen. Who really wants to read a miniatures magazine in miniaturized format? What irony! Anyway, trying to read the magazine on ISSUU doesn't quite seem worth the hassle.
francieh1
May 22nd, 2015
I love the idea of Issuu, but it just too unreliable, too unpredictable. Sometimes I can open a publication; sometimes I can't. When I click on "read", more often than not what comes up is just a blank screen. I'm very disappointed in it.
veyg
September 20th, 2019
This is the first time I come across with a company that charged me without my authorization and did not even accept my refund request within acceptable period. It is even hard to find their contact information and they do not have any phone customer service. In the email response, they just reminded me how clearly they explained the annual charge policies and I did not follow them. This is the worst company ever. They charged me an annual amount $449 with no clear refund instruction. I am not an artist but just a regular first time user of Issuu. Why should I go purchase annual premium plan? But from now, I will post this problem on every platform so to show them customer is bigger than Issuu. I also reported it to Paypal as an unauthorized charge and will wait the result.
ah644
November 3rd, 2014
We have been paying customers of ISSUU for a number of years. ISSUU has a product that works quite well. It's great as long as you don't mind the fact that there is virtually no customer service and no communication between the business and its paying customers. There is NO phone customer service. The only contact is through email and a "normal" wait time to get a response is 72 hours. I recently asked a question and did not receive a response for seven days. Let's say there's a particular ISSUU service you have been using for quite some time. It's not uncommon to visit the ISSUU website and find that the service has gone away because the company simply decided to get rid of it. Without warning. Without any indication that the company was considering making a change.
luciap25
October 3rd, 2019
I wish I had looked into this service beforehand. Signed up for a 15 day free trial. They billed me the same day. I tried to reach customer service. They are unreachable except by intercompany email. I got a computer generated reply. It's been days and days and still no reply. I see here that others have been unable to receive a refund as well. Unbelievable! I'm going to my bank today to ensure that cannot bill me a second time.
sherift1
June 1st, 2011
Absolute crap... updating takes forever... if it actually works. The site is way too buggy... I am not impressed at all. Yes, it does give your documents a great look. But the admin side of it is ABSOLUTE S@#!
luciah15
July 25th, 2019
I have used issuu for years, and have a premium account. However, a recent set of publications which I posted privately have resulted in both requirements that people sign up, and, even worse, a more complicated sign up by phone page. Other pages they have referred me to show broken links.

This has cost me not only a great deal of time and embarassment, but also money. Their response has been only to insist that this is not happening, and to refer me to pages with broken links. Here are the two pages which users of my links arrive at.

Tip for consumers: Check out the other online magazine apps first. I think issuu is going under. Its customer service is dishonest and its product is a disaster.

madeleineb18
February 22nd, 2019
This site deserves 0 stars. It is unbelievable! They tried to take $420 out of my account when it is so unclear. Absolutely hoodwinked and they make it impossible to cancel your account or receive any help in the slightest. I believe they have made their website purposefully IMPOSSIBLE to navigate so that they can carry on trying to take peoples money. Do not be fooled by them!
kiml261
November 13th, 2018
They charged me a ridiculous amount of money ($420) and all the responses I get from them are the same (they can't give me a full refund because of the policy.) It would've been great if they sent me a warning email the day before the trial ended as most companies with subscriptions usually do. A lot of other companies also has grace period for a full refund but ISSUU doesn't care about that. I am willing to pay for the first month but now they are just ignoring me and not wanting to resolve the issue.
annam457
November 3rd, 2018
I can't believe they charge me for 420$ and don't communicate with me at all when I want to cancel because I won't use it. I'd be happy to pay and be charged for one month as a punishment for my stupidity, but such huge amount? Really? And no answers at all after many emails from my side? I work for NGOs and we will never use their services again. This is just super unfair and a pure robbery.
kimd138
March 17th, 2018
I was unaware of Auto Renewal. One year later a $420 charge appeared via email. I emailed back within the hour to refund the charge & don't renew (politely). Nope. We have a policy. It was in the fine print. (You know that scrolling conglomerate of ipso/facto crap you can't understand if you want to.) OMG! Bank reversed the charge & ISSUU produced the fine print to them. Bank told me they can't override that so I'm stuck with the $420 charge. This cannot seriously be allowed in business. I'm beyond frustrated!
issuui
Issuu I. – ISSUU Rep
Hi Kim,

We're extremely sorry you had this negative experience with Issuu. Someone on our team would like to help personally address your issue, so please reach out to us at customersuccess@issuu.com and we'll be in touch ASAP.
amyo58
December 31st, 2018
Heads up to everyone on here: do NOT sign up for Issuu free trial. It is apparently impossible to cancel then they charge you $420 and will not respond to any emails. They will not refund and are impossible to get ahold of. I looked online and saw hundreds of others who had the same experience. I wish someone would've given me the heads up of this businesses shady practices so I am going around a few places and leaving reviews so more people have the potential of avoiding this company and their services at all costs.
susang529
February 27th, 2019
I have never posted a critical review before, but I want to warn people to avoid this site. I had a free trial which I thought I had cancelled, I contacted the company on the day the free trial expired but they have charged me an entire year of premium membership at $420US and refused a refund. Any potential benefit from the tool is vastly outweighed by their scamming practices
dominikak4
January 9th, 2019
Dear Issuu,
I'm not satisfied with your politics. I'm really disappointed with your customer service and I regret creating an account at your website in the first place. I feel scammed and truly hope after reading other customer complaints that my story with you will finish soon.

As a student, I really don't have extra money for expenses like that. In this busy world no one is able to keep track of trials or other things we don't even use after creating an account. I feel tricked and it just looks like you're waiting for people like me to get money for nothing.

If you really want to change something for the better, maybe you should send notification email before the end of the free trial?

It would be really nice from your part to send me my money back.
Thank you.

Hi Jeanet. We do support a free plan. That is called our Basic plan. If you sign up for a trial of one of our PAID plans, there is a 14 day trial. But you will need to downgrade in order not to be charged prior to the 14th day. Do note, we do iterate in six different places when we would charge you for your paid subscription, including the exact date of the potential charge.