IRS.gov

IRS.gov has a consumer rating of 1.35 stars from 159 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about IRS.gov most frequently mention customer service, stimulus check and tax return problems. IRS.gov ranks 86th among Government sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 2.4%

No positive highlights yet

• Horrible customer service, messed up all three stimulus checks for me.
How would you rate IRS.gov?

“Tax refunds”

Carla P.
1/31/20

It's very unprofessional how they handle the refunds every year. They should be able recognize who is the sole provider in the household after claiming dependents for EIC & Child Tax Credit. Holding our refunds is a bit unprofessional and I am sick of it. I hope the IRS makes a change real soon or come of with some better security when it comes to knowing whether someone has stolen someone else's identity. Seriously they need to do better.

“Sad To even call them American”

Lexington W.
4/8/21

Can't even get ahold of them they keep hanging up and they held my refund How am I supposed to dispute that If I don't hear anything within a week from them im taking them to court I mean seriously how can you hold a refund and then not even allow somebody to talk to anybody about why your holding the refund Pretty sad How petty our government has got I have 3 kids And didn't hold my returns before So here's my proof of purchase lol you lame $#*!s

customer service (11)
lexingtonw1
April 8th, 2021

sb774
January 22nd, 2021

The IRS is GHETTO. They've stopped taking calls and give you limited little to no help. I'm frustrated! They've taking 4,900 out of my business account and still harassing me to pay. So interest is accruing as we speak. I'm over it and I rather have my money back.

In the Process of appealing. Another headache since someone hasn't did their job correctly.

donaldw581
March 26th, 2021

This is the most useless governmental unit we have. They have the worst customer service center, they could care less about your issues, especially if it involves them. I'm not real sure how deciding who gets what when is really as important as getting into the hands of this who truly need it. IRS. Take the d**k out of your mouth and get to cutting some checks, do your job. For supposedly educated people, your whole IRS unit are some stupid mother fudruckers.

Tip for consumers:
There is no way around having to do business with these dumb fu****s

gastonc16
October 21st, 2020

We have waited for a year trying to get our refund. Bloody useless, they don't answer the phone, they don't take any records! I wonder why the hell I declared my taxes! I'm overspending money because I have to pay somebody else to contact them on my behalf but they are a bunch of monkeys!. First world country? USA bloody systems are crap. This is the last time I do any bloody business in this third world country!

josephc1382
April 17th, 2020

How could you screw up something so simple as punching in a few numbers that I had given you correctly because I can see on my page what I wrote. Then have the nerve to tell me to call my bank, how is my back supposed to do a darn thing when you only leave the last four digits shown and don't even say which bank the account was from. DUH making any sent at all. Unbelievable, first this virus, then get hit hard with this, and of course no matter what time is call I get no answer. Hate being an American anymore.

ryanz57
August 10th, 2020

Transferred multiple times (each time waiting 30 minutes to 1 hour) then given different phone numbers to call... (Only to be transferred again). It's like a big circle jerk. Nobody seems to have an ability to resolve anything. Cannot verify tax returns, pending $ owed, or other before going through (so far) 8 different people... It's likely a good thing for them that they do not have to deal with competitors. If this were the case I think they would have gone out of business long ago.

chrish2107
May 6th, 2021

The IRS has set the bar to an all time low with customer service. I mailed my ammended 1040X tax return priority mail next day delivery over 6 weeks ago. It's not even showing up in their system. You can never get a "Live " agent. I've sent at least 21 emails over 3 weeks and received no response at all. Nothing, nada, zilch! Where's the accountability? IRS, the worst customer service ever!

patrickc576
June 29th, 2020

I have gone to every area of the IRS website for help in obtaining my tax refund, which I mailed on March 25. The "Check my refund status" on the site tells me that they cannot provide any information about my refund. I have tried to call NUMEROUS phone numbers but cannot get away from automated systems and talk to a living person. I am extremely frustrated! If I file my taxes late and owe the IRS money, I get penalized for being late. It should work the same way for taxpayers that are owed money from the IRS.

valdaw7
April 2nd, 2021

She is so damn rude it doesn't make any since all them first of all and all that yelling will cause problems but of course when you work somewhere with some kind of authority or help it's always taking advantage off but it's ok what goes around comes around ms nasty money and how do they have names like this working for the irs this world is really sad and the so called help is too..

mikej959
March 18th, 2021

I don't know who's running a certain department over there but they try to talk to you like you're a bot but they got the wrong one because I'm going for it. They screw up on their end and when you try to call in to see what's going on, they tell you not to call them, cut you off when you're talking, and then hang up on you. The mfs behind the phone doing that $#*! needs to be fired because I promise you I have no problem cursing all of them tf out.

samanthak190
February 26th, 2021

If you ever manage to get through to a live representative on the phone, you'll more than likely have waited an hour just for them to not take a look at your refund status and tell you it takes 3 weeks to process. Their website is issuing no updates and the mobile app is no better. I guess we all just have to blindly wait for our refunds with no idea on when to expect them. I've attached a step by step on talking to a live representative for the rest of you who may want to try. My advice is not to waste your time until it's been 3 weeks since your return has been accepted.

hollyd404
August 4th, 2021

I have never met someone competent that works for the IRS. Horrible customer service, messed up all three stimulus checks for me. For example, the IRS sent the first stimulus check to an address that was on my file two years prior to my current address. Yes - I had everything already updated. No one will answer the phone and if they do the call will be disconnected. IRS: great job on being the most unprofessional and unskilled organization that I have ever known.

gregorym685
August 10th, 2021

The IRS has become intolerable! Blaming the Covid over and over for their lack of intelligence. I submitted two past year tax returns (almost going on a year) with all the same info and the IRS says they need deep further review. Hello this is why they are behind. Pointless reviews and stalling up the system. Get with the program people its time to start voting for the closure of the IRS system. The people deserve ALL their money!

robertt2216
October 1st, 2021

I don't like the way they put you through automated systems and when u get through they cant help u figure out your trace on payment never recieved 349561 I'd was not so helpful and told me 6 weeks it's been 3 doesnt take long to figure out where my payment was if was mailed some where I no longer live and never received any only 1 went to a child payment other 2 or 3 never got or heard anything about guess u have go to the place to get proper answers u need

janicec932
August 27th, 2021

I am homeless and also in need of medication and it just says "Still Being Processed". My refund has been held for 90 days and IRS agent can't even tell me what the error is? The tax advocate say they cannot help because the IRS will not even enter the return. I'm on the phone 5 hours and the IRS lady says it just says Unworkable and they have no idea when they will enter the return. Heartless and Cruel.

adamm115
May 10th, 2021

3 years i am still trying to file taxes I'm missing w2 for and don't know where I've worked. Can't verify who I am to get transcripts online despite having correct information, transcripts in maIL come blank when I worked multiple jobs. Im owed thousands and I im trying yo pay taxes but there is no way to do it because I can't access ANYTHING. JUST TAKE YOUR $#*!ING MONEY! The whole system is so $#*!ing flawed. How many years is it going to take to make this $#*! easier?

lucash173
August 16th, 2021

I have now called the IRS multiple times to get an update on a payment trace. Each time I have called, I have had the same experience. There has to be a better way than having someone wait for 45 minutes to an hour to get in touch with a representative to then be transferred to a line that repeatedly states there is high call volume and hangs up on you. Either have more online tools to help with tax payer issues or beef up your customer service department. Awful service.

deanab37
April 6th, 2021

I have for 3 weeks been on hold for hours to speak to someone. It's quite disheartening with everything that has happened that our government has not prepared itself. The man I spoke to told me I was going on a weird tangent... no I simply didn't understand what you were saying. I'm super disappointed in the country I live in, it's not longer the great America.

carlap116
January 31st, 2020

dorothyb44
May 20th, 2020

I have tried to call IRS and no one answers the phone. I keep getting recordings. Even if staff members are working from home, they could have a phone set up to take calls and a computer to access IRS records. My husband received his economic stimulus payment and I have not received my payment. I am eligible to receive it The Get My Payment site is worthless. We file our taxes together and have the same bank accounts. This should not be difficult. I am not sure how you can make this type of error.

kristib119
October 13th, 2020

They collect Taxes everyday, yet cant even be available to fulfill ANY duties and responsibilities as stated in their own Tax Payer Bill of Rights?! Local offices Closed due Con-rona Virus and telephone calls go unanswered and/or are dropped by Government Agents who get paid to do... nothing with extreme attitude and rudeness!

nicr24
July 13th, 2021

Makes DMV look like Disneyland. Made even worse since most of the more intelligent, agreeable people went on to IT, leaving all the simple-minded, uneducated, lowlife people to deal with clients directy. Should have signed up for Direct Deposit if I knew I would waste 6 months of my life talking to unprofessional, sub minimum wage mentality plebs giving contradictory information.

"If you're depending on the Government to help you out with a handout, you'll be waiting til you're old and grey, if it even comes" -- Truer words were never spoken.

Tip for consumers:
Don't pay these bastards

Products used:
Stimulus

samuelv46
May 1st, 2020

All these news post about releasing stimulus checks and I am social security disability with direst deposit and never got my check when I barely make it month to month with house payment utilities and insurance and food. There is no one to call or email it's just plain ridiculous the lack of trust And lack of honesty the government is giving people. Next is going to the papers and news media to call out the irs on their dishonesty. People like us are barely surviving and you wanna give false hope to everyone.

kyaha
July 15th, 2021

They sure scan levy my house and bills and and everything in between but they don't answer the phone. How am I supposed to set up a payment plan if the online portal won't let me, and y'all won't answer the phone. So unprofessional. They charge us out the ass to live life but can't even handle a simple customer service job.

lauras1922
March 28th, 2021

I am so glad the government makes it easier for people to sit down and not work instead of getting a job when their are jobs available then people who are actually working that need their tax return for bills cant even get it in its been 8 weeks and still no tax return? Can the people who actually been working through all of this get their tax return said of the government just giving away money to people who don't want to work?

Thought it wpuld be faster than any other site. Boy, was I ever wrong.

By Mitchell C.