IRS.gov

IRS.gov has a consumer rating of 1.79 stars from 58 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. IRS.gov also ranks 60th among Government sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 6.8%

No positive highlights yet

• I called about my Stimulus check tonight, I talked to one man for an hour.
  • The IRS has the worst customer service reps I've ever dealt with.
How would you rate IRS.gov?

“Tax refunds”

Carla P.
1/31/20

It's very unprofessional how they handle the refunds every year. They should be able recognize who is the sole provider in the household after claiming dependents for EIC & Child Tax Credit. Holding our refunds is a bit unprofessional and I am sick of it. I hope the IRS makes a change real soon or come of with some better security when it comes to knowing whether someone has stolen someone else's identity. Seriously they need to do better.

“Check in wrong account that never belonged to me.”

Joseph C.
4/17/20

How could you screw up something so simple as punching in a few numbers that I had given you correctly because I can see on my page what I wrote. Then have the nerve to tell me to call my bank, how is my back supposed to do a darn thing when you only leave the last four digits shown and don't even say which bank the account was from. DUH making any sent at all. Unbelievable, first this virus, then get hit hard with this, and of course no matter what time is call I get no answer. Hate being an American anymore.

stimulus check (5) customer service (4) tax return (4) people (15)
josephc1382
April 17th, 2020
patrickc576
June 29th, 2020
I have gone to every area of the IRS website for help in obtaining my tax refund, which I mailed on March 25. The "Check my refund status" on the site tells me that they cannot provide any information about my refund. I have tried to call NUMEROUS phone numbers but cannot get away from automated systems and talk to a living person. I am extremely frustrated! If I file my taxes late and owe the IRS money, I get penalized for being late. It should work the same way for taxpayers that are owed money from the IRS.
samuels275
February 24th, 2020
I understand during tax season the phone centers are very busy. The call center reps should be more patient or respectable with the callers. I'm sure there are other callers like me that don't know the proper codes of specific forms when talking to the reps about it. I have had to call multiple times because I didn't know the specific term and I feel uncomfortable when having to call back in trying to speak with someone who can help me understand my question.
dorothyb44
May 20th, 2020
I have tried to call IRS and no one answers the phone. I keep getting recordings. Even if staff members are working from home, they could have a phone set up to take calls and a computer to access IRS records. My husband received his economic stimulus payment and I have not received my payment. I am eligible to receive it The Get My Payment site is worthless. We file our taxes together and have the same bank accounts. This should not be difficult. I am not sure how you can make this type of error.
carlap116
January 31st, 2020
samuelv46
May 1st, 2020
All these news post about releasing stimulus checks and I am social security disability with direst deposit and never got my check when I barely make it month to month with house payment utilities and insurance and food. There is no one to call or email it's just plain ridiculous the lack of trust And lack of honesty the government is giving people. Next is going to the papers and news media to call out the irs on their dishonesty. People like us are barely surviving and you wanna give false hope to everyone.
williams2152
January 21st, 2020
I have been waiting over an hour and a half(no lie) for someone to pick up the phone. Really? I have to call because I cannot log in online. It wont take my password and when you ask to reset, they dont send you a link.
Maddening! I tried several days to reset and they just dont send the link. And they have my email and i checked spam. If they want their money that bad they should at least allow you to pay it! Or thats right if Im delayed for whatever reason they can add on penalties and interest. What a racket
ebonyb40
June 26th, 2020
Me and my mother were on the phone talking to a woman. And she hung up. Worst customer service ever.
kelseyp37
April 14th, 2020
Unfortunately filed my taxes at the wrong time and everyone and their grandma needs their stimulus check. Yesterday was my 21 business day mark and now there is not one associate to answer my phone call so I can figure out when I will get my tax refund. I'm sorry that $873 is like gold to me and yes I would like my refund sir.
martinal28
March 9th, 2020
If the IRS wants to harass poor Americans over their tax returns and hold them up when we are counting on the only bit of extra cash we get all year without struggling and stressing, then they should also scrutinize the Presidents tax returns and show the American people hes been (8 years) paying his fair share and has no conflicts of interest!!!!
brittanyh156
March 3rd, 2020
They have the worst call center known to man ! For one it is super hard to get ahold of an actual representative I had to google which numbers to press to get a live person. Then when I finally get a hold of someone they are super rude and tells me an answer to my question like I'm an idiot. I do not recommend avoid them at all cost try to call your local office

Tip for consumers: Meditate or make sure you have time and a lot of patience before calling

terrys593
April 28th, 2020
Dad's get there 1200 taken and the mom gets thousands of dollars and the dad can't work and you take the only money to live!!! This is wrong!! I pay ever month and I still get my cash taken?? This is messed up! Everyone should get the money to live. Not just mom's that are with someone else and they get 1200 from me the other dad's and that's crazy one person gets 5-10 grand and the dad gets jail and can't live. Can us as father's get some help!!?? I can't even afford my rent and will be on the street!? This is a mad injustice!!
bend275
February 18th, 2020
I dont know whos bright idea it was to hold peoples taxes with kids and earned income credit claims on taxes this year 2020 til the last minute to reveiw further but i think these people need there money faster then people who didnt claim kids and made over earned income credit bracket.. And if i was late paying you (irs) 3 months that would codt me $300 but its ok for you to hild my 6 grand that long..scum..
jerryp252
March 29th, 2020
With All Do Respect, We Are In Dificult Times, I Summited Mi Taxes On February 8, And Every Day A Check My Status And It Showing Only RECIVED, How can the Government been talking about send MONEY NOW to help in this crisis and I even haven't received my 2019 Refund yet. We need the help now, not in 8 or 10 months, the most powerfull nation and the Government takes for ever to help. Unbelievable!!!
charnetteh
April 20th, 2020
Good morning it's so wrong how y'all doing us at this time. Not answering the phone or telling us about our payments online
richarda930
April 17th, 2020
No info of why you get locked out, no way to contact anyone at all, no nothing. you take money every damn week from me but i don't exist in the system so you cant tell me if i'm eligible for a stimulus check? Then i would like all my tax money back for the past 30 years.
amberg201
March 11th, 2020
They are unprofessional they keep telling me that they cant give me any information on my own taxes. They need to be more professional and be able to tell you what is going one especially when it's three week after it was mailed off , it is my money they cant just tell me no and not tell me anything they need to learn to give people the money they are owed and not make people go through h*** to get it!!!
moniquem92
April 16th, 2020
Irs.gov has the worst setup for receiving the stimulus package!!! I have 4 kids and I got laid off because of the coronavirus pandemic!!!!! I have no money I have no job I have no help from nobody!!!! What the hell do I suppose to do??!!! I have not worked in a month I have no income but yet my bills is still due!!!!!!!!! If anyone knows anything to help my situation please feel free to comment. I have 4 kids without food and other items they need. Thanks in advance
claytonp35
June 17th, 2020
Hope you have a mortgage, credit card & auto loan if you're trying to get anything online from the IRS. Im 22 (with an auto loan that they apparently don't recognize) so I don't have those yet & with the whole pandemic there's nobody on the phones For me to talk to. If you're like me & still trying to get your taxes done, I'd say we're SOL
anthonyf336
March 5th, 2020
For past 7 years ive never been reviewed on my taxes this year they are because I haven't received my refund yet... Not fair review somebody who is rich im low-income family who has 3 kids and now is sick and cant work... We need that refund come on IRS.GOV pull your heads out give me my refund now!
manuelm278
May 16th, 2020
i have been trying to get information about the stimulus payment and you can not real a live person by phone i'd just to say this very inconsiderate and very unprofessional of them and the website is not working right first i got payment status not available now it say's we are unable to provide you with status of your payment or perform the action requested because the tax information you entered does not match our records or have already accessed the system maxiumum number of times per day come on irs step it up we need live phone assistance this is very poor class less and extremely unprofessional of you guys i know you can do better
enal1
February 20th, 2020
I called today to found out about a mailed payment, called first time waited for 2 hours, hanged up call, call again another hour waiting nobody answer, finally about 15 mnts for their closing time someone, answer, oh boy, this person was very mean with me, I just want to know if my payment got there since I mailed 10 days ago, and the due day is Feb 20, oh she started talking down on me, if I ask a question she practically tell me that I am not allowed to ask, nothing, until she ask me. President Trump, we need to get rid off IRS and just tax everything for whatever we buy and done with this nonsense department, everybody in there looks like they hate their job, Hey they forget who is paying their salary, oh, we the Tax Payers, I believe.
billf286
January 23rd, 2020
Man the IRS sucks... first I am on hold for an hour and a half and the lady the gets pissy with my questions and hangs up. Then I call 2nd time, on hold for an hour, (same department) and all of a sudden that same department can't help anymore, so I am currently on hold for another hour waiting to be connected to another department...tax payers are paying for this nonsense????
oying
April 28th, 2020
I filled my tax return since February, my tax return still on processing, I am eligible for EIP payment but irs did not pay me. I have kids and am not working right now, I cannot pay my Bill's now. Am paying my taxes, we all have equal right to this EIP. I will keep cursing the irs everyday for suffering me and my kids. IRS hold my tax returns and also hold the EIP payment.
amyr606
June 15th, 2020
So my husbands owed a little back child support and my stimulus went to it also, why is that and why do i have to go thru a lot of headache to get my money, its crap. I shouldnt have too. Its so wrong. I lost $1200 to a person why doesnt even use child support on the kid. I shouldnt have to fix this. Fivure out a way to fix this. This is so so wrong.

It is the official government site with accurate details, a wealth of information and 100% trustworthy.

By Dee D.

NOT EASY AT ALL!! BE PREPARED TO BE ON HOLD FOR AT LEAST 3 HRS . THEN THEY HANG UP ON YOU WHEN THEY TRANSFER SHAME ON YOU IRS!!

By Nate W.

THE IRS IS AN ILLEGAL INSTITUTION.....VOTE ACCORDINGLY

By Gillian S.

IT IS BECAUSE THE IRS IS A GOVERNMENT INSTITUTION AND YOU ARE JUST A WORKER ANT TO THEM...DEMAND BETTER OUT OF THE GOVERNMENT YOU PROP UP!

By Gillian S.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the IRS.gov staff and other customers.

The Internal Revenue Service is the nation's tax collection agency and administers the Internal Revenue Code enacted by Congress.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about IRS.gov?

Have a question about IRS.gov?