IRS.gov

IRS.gov has a consumer rating of 1.59 stars from 83 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about IRS.gov most frequently mention customer service, stimulus check and tax return problems. IRS.gov ranks 74th among Government sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 4.8%

No positive highlights yet

• I called about my Stimulus check tonight, I talked to one man for an hour.
  • The IRS has the worst customer service reps I've ever dealt with.
How would you rate IRS.gov?

“Tax refunds”

Carla P.
1/31/20

It's very unprofessional how they handle the refunds every year. They should be able recognize who is the sole provider in the household after claiming dependents for EIC & Child Tax Credit. Holding our refunds is a bit unprofessional and I am sick of it. I hope the IRS makes a change real soon or come of with some better security when it comes to knowing whether someone has stolen someone else's identity. Seriously they need to do better.

“Bunch of useless mappets”

Gaston C.
10/21/20

We have waited for a year trying to get our refund. Bloody useless, they don't answer the phone, they don't take any records! I wonder why the hell I declared my taxes! I'm overspending money because I have to pay somebody else to contact them on my behalf but they are a bunch of monkeys!. First world country? USA bloody systems are crap. This is the last time I do any bloody business in this third world country!

stimulus check (9) customer service (6) tax return (5) tax refund (3) taxes (24) people (23)
gastonc16
October 21st, 2020
josephc1382
April 17th, 2020
How could you screw up something so simple as punching in a few numbers that I had given you correctly because I can see on my page what I wrote. Then have the nerve to tell me to call my bank, how is my back supposed to do a darn thing when you only leave the last four digits shown and don't even say which bank the account was from. DUH making any sent at all. Unbelievable, first this virus, then get hit hard with this, and of course no matter what time is call I get no answer. Hate being an American anymore.
ryanz57
August 10th, 2020
Transferred multiple times (each time waiting 30 minutes to 1 hour) then given different phone numbers to call... (Only to be transferred again). It's like a big circle jerk. Nobody seems to have an ability to resolve anything. Cannot verify tax returns, pending $ owed, or other before going through (so far) 8 different people... It's likely a good thing for them that they do not have to deal with competitors. If this were the case I think they would have gone out of business long ago.
patrickc576
June 29th, 2020
I have gone to every area of the IRS website for help in obtaining my tax refund, which I mailed on March 25. The "Check my refund status" on the site tells me that they cannot provide any information about my refund. I have tried to call NUMEROUS phone numbers but cannot get away from automated systems and talk to a living person. I am extremely frustrated! If I file my taxes late and owe the IRS money, I get penalized for being late. It should work the same way for taxpayers that are owed money from the IRS.
pattyb158
January 12th, 2021
It was pretty painless. Put in your information and since I applied on a Friday, then I received a number in about 3 days.

Tip for consumers:
???

Products used:
????

dorothyb44
May 20th, 2020
I have tried to call IRS and no one answers the phone. I keep getting recordings. Even if staff members are working from home, they could have a phone set up to take calls and a computer to access IRS records. My husband received his economic stimulus payment and I have not received my payment. I am eligible to receive it The Get My Payment site is worthless. We file our taxes together and have the same bank accounts. This should not be difficult. I am not sure how you can make this type of error.
kristib119
October 13th, 2020
They collect Taxes everyday, yet cant even be available to fulfill ANY duties and responsibilities as stated in their own Tax Payer Bill of Rights?! Local offices Closed due Con-rona Virus and telephone calls go unanswered and/or are dropped by Government Agents who get paid to do... nothing with extreme attitude and rudeness!
samuelv46
May 1st, 2020
All these news post about releasing stimulus checks and I am social security disability with direst deposit and never got my check when I barely make it month to month with house payment utilities and insurance and food. There is no one to call or email it's just plain ridiculous the lack of trust And lack of honesty the government is giving people. Next is going to the papers and news media to call out the irs on their dishonesty. People like us are barely surviving and you wanna give false hope to everyone.
ebonyb40
June 26th, 2020
Me and my mother were on the phone talking to a woman. And she hung up. Worst customer service ever.
samuels275
February 24th, 2020
I understand during tax season the phone centers are very busy. The call center reps should be more patient or respectable with the callers. I'm sure there are other callers like me that don't know the proper codes of specific forms when talking to the reps about it. I have had to call multiple times because I didn't know the specific term and I feel uncomfortable when having to call back in trying to speak with someone who can help me understand my question.
williams2152
January 21st, 2020
I have been waiting over an hour and a half(no lie) for someone to pick up the phone. Really? I have to call because I cannot log in online. It wont take my password and when you ask to reset, they dont send you a link.
Maddening! I tried several days to reset and they just dont send the link. And they have my email and i checked spam. If they want their money that bad they should at least allow you to pay it! Or thats right if Im delayed for whatever reason they can add on penalties and interest. What a racket
brittanyh156
March 3rd, 2020
They have the worst call center known to man! For one it is super hard to get ahold of an actual representative I had to google which numbers to press to get a live person. Then when I finally get a hold of someone they are super rude and tells me an answer to my question like I'm an idiot. I do not recommend avoid them at all cost try to call your local office

Tip for consumers:
Meditate or make sure you have time and a lot of patience before calling

terrys593
April 28th, 2020
Dad's get there 1200 taken and the mom gets thousands of dollars and the dad can't work and you take the only money to live! This is wrong! I pay ever month and I still get my cash taken? This is messed up! Everyone should get the money to live. Not just mom's that are with someone else and they get 1200 from me the other dad's and that's crazy one person gets 5-10 grand and the dad gets jail and can't live. Can us as father's get some help!? I can't even afford my rent and will be on the street!? This is a mad injustice!
julies1345
September 2nd, 2020
I call the appointment line, wait 30 minutes to get a real person, & they proceed to tell me they have to transfer me to the appointment line, which is what I called & dialed "1" for. Twenty minutes later, someone else answers, and she too, can't set an appointment for me, & wanted to transfer me again! I have prepared taxes for 21 years, and never once, have I had a good thing to say about the IRS customer service. But, they are government workers, who will still get paid doing a terrible job.
delono
November 2nd, 2020
I have been waiting on my Federal tax refund for almost a year now. Nobody can give me any information as to where it is & when I will receive. They hide behind this COVID-19 excuse. DO YOUR JOBS & GET PEOPLE THEIR MONEY OR STOP COLLECTING TAXES ALL TOGETHER. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. HOW CAN WE SUE THE IRS? If anyone has any info on how we can come together & sue the IRS please contact me. *******@yahoo.com
bend275
February 18th, 2020
I dont know whos bright idea it was to hold peoples taxes with kids and earned income credit claims on taxes this year 2020 til the last minute to reveiw further but i think these people need there money faster then people who didnt claim kids and made over earned income credit bracket. And if i was late paying you (irs) 3 months that would codt me $300 but its ok for you to hild my 6 grand that long. Scum..
jerryp252
March 29th, 2020
With All Do Respect, We Are In Dificult Times, I Summited Mi Taxes On February 8, And Every Day A Check My Status And It Showing Only RECIVED, How can the Government been talking about send MONEY NOW to help in this crisis and I even haven't received my 2019 Refund yet. We need the help now, not in 8 or 10 months, the most powerfull nation and the Government takes for ever to help. Unbelievable!
richarda930
April 17th, 2020
No info of why you get locked out, no way to contact anyone at all, no nothing. You take money every damn week from me but i don't exist in the system so you cant tell me if i'm eligible for a stimulus check? Then i would like all my tax money back for the past 30 years.
kelseyp37
April 14th, 2020
Unfortunately filed my taxes at the wrong time and everyone and their grandma needs their stimulus check. Yesterday was my 21 business day mark and now there is not one associate to answer my phone call so I can figure out when I will get my tax refund. I'm sorry that $873 is like gold to me and yes I would like my refund sir.
charnetteh
April 20th, 2020
Good morning it's so wrong how y'all doing us at this time. Not answering the phone or telling us about our payments online
amberg201
March 11th, 2020
They are unprofessional they keep telling me that they cant give me any information on my own taxes. They need to be more professional and be able to tell you what is going one especially when it's three week after it was mailed off, it is my money they cant just tell me no and not tell me anything they need to learn to give people the money they are owed and not make people go through h*** to get it!
moniquem92
April 16th, 2020
Irs.gov has the worst setup for receiving the stimulus package! I have 4 kids and I got laid off because of the coronavirus pandemic! I have no money I have no job I have no help from nobody! What the hell do I suppose to do?! I have not worked in a month I have no income but yet my bills is still due! If anyone knows anything to help my situation please feel free to comment. I have 4 kids without food and other items they need. Thanks in advance
mss138
August 13th, 2020
Whomever the CSR with the last name Winley is, she's extremely disrespectful. I understand you have other people waiting on the phone, but DO NOT rush me off the phone and hang up on me because I have questions. You are fortunate, unlike others to have a job, so be mindful of that. People have questions and concerns and it is your job to answer them. It seems that every year, these representatives get more and more unprofessional.
carlap116
January 31st, 2020
claytonp35
June 17th, 2020
Hope you have a mortgage, credit card & auto loan if you're trying to get anything online from the IRS. Im 22 (with an auto loan that they apparently don't recognize) so I don't have those yet & with the whole pandemic there's nobody on the phones For me to talk to. If you're like me & still trying to get your taxes done, I'd say we're SOL

It is the official government site with accurate details, a wealth of information and 100% trustworthy.

By Dee D.

NOT EASY AT ALL! BE PREPARED TO BE ON HOLD FOR AT LEAST 3 HRS. THEN THEY HANG UP ON YOU WHEN THEY TRANSFER SHAME ON YOU IRS!

By Nate W.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the IRS.gov staff and other customers.

The Internal Revenue Service is the nation's tax collection agency and administers the Internal Revenue Code enacted by Congress.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about IRS.gov?

See reviews as you browse with our Chrome extension

1.6
Have a question about IRS.gov?