IRS.gov

IRS.gov has a consumer rating of 2.18 stars from 34 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. IRS.gov also ranks 44th among Government sites.

How would you rate IRS.gov?

“Tax refunds”

Carla P.
1/31/20

It's very unprofessional how they handle the refunds every year. They should be able recognize who is the sole provider in the household after claiming dependents for EIC & Child Tax Credit. Holding our refunds is a bit unprofessional and I am sick of it. I hope the IRS makes a change real soon or come of with some better security when it comes to knowing whether someone has stolen someone else's identity. Seriously they need to do better.

“Customer Service”

Samuel S.
2/24/20

I understand during tax season the phone centers are very busy. The call center reps should be more patient or respectable with the callers. I'm sure there are other callers like me that don't know the proper codes of specific forms when talking to the reps about it. I have had to call multiple times because I didn't know the specific term and I feel uncomfortable when having to call back in trying to speak with someone who can help me understand my question.

martinal28
March 9th, 2020
If the IRS wants to harass poor Americans over their tax returns and hold them up when we are counting on the only bit of extra cash we get all year without struggling and stressing, then they should also scrutinize the Presidents tax returns and show the American people hes been (8 years) paying his fair share and has no conflicts of interest!!!!
brittanyh156
March 3rd, 2020
They have the worst call center known to man ! For one it is super hard to get ahold of an actual representative I had to google which numbers to press to get a live person. Then when I finally get a hold of someone they are super rude and tells me an answer to my question like I'm an idiot. I do not recommend avoid them at all cost try to call your local office

Tip for consumers: Meditate or make sure you have time and a lot of patience before calling

bend275
February 18th, 2020
I dont know whos bright idea it was to hold peoples taxes with kids and earned income credit claims on taxes this year 2020 til the last minute to reveiw further but i think these people need there money faster then people who didnt claim kids and made over earned income credit bracket.. And if i was late paying you (irs) 3 months that would codt me $300 but its ok for you to hild my 6 grand that long..scum..
amberg201
March 11th, 2020
They are unprofessional they keep telling me that they cant give me any information on my own taxes. They need to be more professional and be able to tell you what is going one especially when it's three week after it was mailed off , it is my money they cant just tell me no and not tell me anything they need to learn to give people the money they are owed and not make people go through h*** to get it!!!
enal1
February 20th, 2020
I called today to found out about a mailed payment, called first time waited for 2 hours, hanged up call, call again another hour waiting nobody answer, finally about 15 mnts for their closing time someone, answer, oh boy, this person was very mean with me, I just want to know if my payment got there since I mailed 10 days ago, and the due day is Feb 20, oh she started talking down on me, if I ask a question she practically tell me that I am not allowed to ask, nothing, until she ask me. President Trump, we need to get rid off IRS and just tax everything for whatever we buy and done with this nonsense department, everybody in there looks like they hate their job, Hey they forget who is paying their salary, oh, we the Tax Payers, I believe.
billf286
January 23rd, 2020
Man the IRS sucks... first I am on hold for an hour and a half and the lady the gets pissy with my questions and hangs up. Then I call 2nd time, on hold for an hour, (same department) and all of a sudden that same department can't help anymore, so I am currently on hold for another hour waiting to be connected to another department...tax payers are paying for this nonsense????
samuels275
February 24th, 2020
soniau8
February 24th, 2020
I piad a professional to do my taxes and I get $14 back. I called them and they explained that my daughter is no longer of age so I won't be able to get earn income tax credit. I told them my daughter is 6 years old. How do you ever determine how old she is? I don't know the guy said and he asked me to fax a birth certificate. I did fax the information and I call back to get a call back 2 1/2 hours later asking for the status of my fax. I just wanted to make sure they received it. The guy was so rude he said we don't have a personal fax ma'am with a tone on his voice. It takes about a week for an agent to get the fax because its only one central fax. So I told him, " now I have to wait weeks for you guys to fix your mistake?" he said "This was your mistake not ours." I was taken back by what he said already blaming me without even looking at my information, then he hangs up on me. Of course I wasn't going to call back and wait 3 hours for a call back. The IRS has the worst customer service reps I've ever dealt with.
natew39
March 5th, 2020
I work hard all year long just for the IRS to hold my MONEY!! The reps are rude and sound as if their reading from an script!! We need answers and we need our MONEY. THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS.. Familys are losing their homes, cars ect.. Please all we ask is that you release whats ours..
williams2152
January 21st, 2020
I have been waiting over an hour and a half(no lie) for someone to pick up the phone. Really? I have to call because I cannot log in online. It wont take my password and when you ask to reset, they dont send you a link.
Maddening! I tried several days to reset and they just dont send the link. And they have my email and i checked spam. If they want their money that bad they should at least allow you to pay it! Or thats right if Im delayed for whatever reason they can add on penalties and interest. What a racket
robertog63
January 3rd, 2020
I called too see why from 800 I have too pay 1900 .so I call and let the guy know my current situation.he then downgrades me saying I should be paying my bills on time whitch I didn't have a job was my first time having to pay had no idea .when I asked to speak to a supervisor he said this conversation is over and hung up.
joep665
November 22nd, 2019
The IRS is the most heartless company to audit someone before Christmas. Hard working people are struggling to pay their bills, most didn't get back any refund because of the tax changes and the IRS went back into poor people IRS taxes file to find things to audit before Christmas. I had to cancel my vacation after working hard for a year because the IRS audit me and I have to pay before Christmas. The people that work there ,I hope one day, they'll get audited during the holidays and how it feels. They're cold!
carlap116
January 31st, 2020
cynthiam506
January 24th, 2020
I cannot keep funding a criminal organization known as the "government" with my hard earned money, they only represent themselves and other criminals who are well off... If I do pay my taxes then i feel like a criminal for funding the almighty criminal organization. https://www.justsecurity.org/67738/federal-criminal-offenses-and-the-impeachment-of-donald-j-trump/
ronniew47
January 31st, 2019
This site is the most ridiculous and inaccessible sure I've ever visited everyone doesn't have debt for you to check identity I.e. (Credit card, auto loan, mortgage loan, student loans, etc). Extremely displeased. Then when I call IRS they say due to call volume and what you are calling about you can't be helped at this time and hung up in my ear. I bet if I don't pay they will be quick to send me a letter in the $#*!ing mail though. This is ridiculous
rebeccap237
June 3rd, 2019
Mr. Zanbino is an agent with the IRS. He took my phone call concerning a large penalty payment due for my company based on a tardy filing by my accountant. After getting all the information, he agreed to give me a first abatement and removed the penalties. It was not just this wonderful news, it was his caring spirit and words of encouragement for a tough time I was going through. He was amazing.
Well done! And thank you so much!
Rebecca F. Pittman
Colorado
alyssaf41
August 22nd, 2019
Every time you call their phone number and enter your social, the same annoying ass voice says sorry we are having "technical difficulties". There is no way to reach them and they have a horrible phone system. Honestly listening to that voice is the worst thing in the world!!!
jasong262
March 12th, 2019
The IRS is absolutely horrible for a normal tax return it takes 4 weeks but if you file an injured spouse it takes 14 weeks?!?!?! Makes no sence at all, i filed injured spose because of hard times an spouse not having a job but your gonna make me wait triple the time!!!MORONS!!!! Its a simple form for them to review but yet they act like there trying to find a cure for a disease. They can take my money from my check every week but yet i need to wait MONTHS! For my money!!!
IRS needs to figure there Sh*t out cause it appears the place is ran by unqualified people.
gotb3
August 15th, 2019
Must be nice to sit at a cubicle on your ass and get paid to just piss people off. They don't listen to your complaints, they just hang up on you when you start trying to explain your issue. They don't like you talking to them, they only want to say what they want to say and don't listen to a word when you try to explain what is going on.
tomm714
July 22nd, 2019
I waited on hold for 36 minutes to have the hold music stop and <click> ... disconnected. I found the local office's number for assistance, and their message states they only provide assistance by appointment and we must look up the services they provide before calling. My need is very simple and can be dealt with quickly - and over the phone only (let's get with the times website). Now I need to call again and hope to not be disconnected again. Customer service in the private sector is the opposite of that in the public sector. Amazon should be their target, but they're at the complete opposite end of the spectrum from one another with regards to customer service and efficiency..
caran15
August 26th, 2019
First and foremost, I recommend avoiding interacting with the IRS like the plague.
Second, the estimated wait time was 30-60 minutes, I was on hold for 100 minutes, only for them to transfer me to another estimated 30-60 minute wait.
Third, this is the 5th time I've called in 5 months since they ERRONEOUSLY intercepted my refund and each time I've called these "agents" do not understand what is wrong with my account and have said that the refund check will be sent out in 4 weeks and to check back then. I have yet to receive my refund check and it has been 5 months since my first request.
This system is inadequate, to say the least, and I have diminished respect and faith in the IRS system and believe that there are crooks in charge who take advantage of the American people's money.
eduardop31
April 24th, 2019
I have been trying to register and is say the information does not match. Its been blocking my account for 2 days now. I did it on the cell phone same info it accepted, but was not able to finish and now same thing and do not know why.
shondah8
April 5th, 2019
Filing my taxes this year has been horrible. I worked last year and no taxes were getting taken of my check. I complained to my job 3 times. They reviewed and couldn't figure out why. I filled out my tax paperwork correctly so my boss didn't understand why my taxes weren't being taken out of my check. Came to find out I wasn't the only one. Also other people I talked that worked for other companies had the same problem. IRS do your job. I'm sure you all get paid enough too. It's not fair that I have to do my job and the irs job too (making sure taxes are taken out of my check). That is your job not mine! That resulted in you all taking about all my income tax this year. Which has been delayed because my taxes were under review and I have to wait an extra 9 weeks to get my taxes. It taxes forever to get your incomes taxes. But it takes no time for you all to rip us off. Y'all are sad! Do better.
anthonyf336
March 5th, 2020
For past 7 years ive never been reviewed on my taxes this year they are because I haven't received my refund yet... Not fair review somebody who is rich im low-income family who has 3 kids and now is sick and cant work... We need that refund come on IRS.GOV pull your heads out give me my refund now!
ninad69
November 24th, 2019
My family is very thankful to Mr.Samni-Akato. He proved that people with big heart work in IRS. We were having some issues with IRS for a few years, and no one could help us until we talked to him. He was able to help us in less than one hour with the problems that we were dealing for 3years. Thank you very much.

NOT EASY AT ALL!! BE PREPARED TO BE ON HOLD FOR AT LEAST 3 HRS . THEN THEY HANG UP ON YOU WHEN THEY TRANSFER SHAME ON YOU IRS!!

By Nate W.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the IRS.gov staff and other customers.

The Internal Revenue Service is the nation's tax collection agency and administers the Internal Revenue Code enacted by Congress.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about IRS.gov?

See reviews as you browse with our Chrome extension

2.2
Have a question about IRS.gov?