Review of ipsy

Tel: 888-769-4526
support@ipsy.com

kristianar
4/16/19

I have been an Ipsy member for years now and every month you get 5 sample products. They're generally ok items, but clearly many aren't talored to my "beauty preferences" they just started a new thing called Ipsy plus where you can pay more and get 5 full sized products. I received an email stating their was a spot for me, but when I tried a few hours after recovering the email to switch over it said I was put on a waitlist. I feel that this is false advertising. If it states in my email that their is a spot for me, then I shouldn't be places on a waitlist. Furthermore, they said that if I want to automatically get off the waitlist I could share a link to friends and if one of them signs up then I'll get taken off the waitlist. It aggravates me to be used in their advertisement schemes and they obviously still have spots if they're able to accommodate people once they have their friends to sign up.

nicop7
4/11/19

Ipsy is a great way to sample new cosmetic brands at affordable prices. I love that you can personalize your profile so they can send you the right shades.

kathleens289
4/4/19

I tried to help my sister cancel her subscription to ipsy glam bags. She nor I could get into her account to cancel her plan. I wrote a message on their customer service page. The answer came back in a prepared format....like their FAQ'S. I searched for a customer service phone number; it was no longer in service. I called 2 numbers associated with their offices in San Mateo and Fort Worth which are no longer in service. Two offices in NY & CA post no phone #'s. I have messaged them on FB messenger & wrote a post on their FB page ...asking for help. If we dont hear from them, we will close my sister's bank account. So frustrating.

julief182
3/21/19

Very tiny products, one missing and one eyeshadow doesn't even come in a case. Waited 3 months for this???

margaritac25
3/18/19

This company doesn't not even have a phone customer service. Good luck if you are trying to contact them. They stole my money never revived about 6 bags from them. Spent more than $70 for nothing. They never reached back to me with an explanation or response. They simply igonered all my messages. It is so frustrating to talk someone about a situation like this via email. Horrible company.

patriciab238
3/11/19

so I saw someone on youtube get this box, so i thought what a cute idea for my gonna be 16 year old daughter at 10 bucks a month. sounds like a deal huh,,,, no. bad idea. they kept giving me the run around,and that if i choose another option from one of there other paid ad company they'd put me up front. wrong. I cancelled it right away. its a Gimmick, they trick you, they try and attract attention, publicity to get you to sign up but really they don't have a box to send you.

victoriae41
3/4/19

I have been an Ipsy subscriber for 18 months and over the past 6 months I have received damaged, opened and products not in my preferences. I'm about done

maxc91
3/2/19

This company is a scam and the only way to get your refund is to bombard them with emails, multiple social media posts, report to bbb, open a dispute with PayPal or your credit card company. They delete complaints so don't give up! People have reported used products. This company plays favorites to people with large social media followings.

stephanien93
2/26/19

Got a one month trial, promptly canceled it before first bag even came. Just looked at Paypal and total bill payment to Ipsy was $21!? What kind of scam is this?

kathleenl143
2/25/19

I did a review of the Glambag Plus a month ago which I would like to revise. Ipsy finally sent my bag, albeit a month late. They also gave me a refund for my trouble, which I wasn't expecting and even though I deserved it I really appreciated it. So now my opinion of them has changed, SLIGHTLY. I still won't do business with them anymore, but I am not as angry as before. The products in the Glambag Plus are VERY NICE I calculated the value of my bag to be $131.00. That's not bad for a $25.00 subscription box. Still it's not worth the trouble to me. I'd rather just go online and order what I want and in a week or less my products are in my mailbox. Plus I can return anything I don't like. Done and done.

cindym397
2/13/19

If there was a zeo, they would receive a zero! I ordered my first Glam bag on Jan. 16th, 2019 and they quickly took $10.65 for it at that time. It is now almost a month later and still have never recived my Glam bag. I tried logging into my acct on ipsy and everyway i tried to enter my acct was not allowed. I then went to twitter @ipsycare and 3 times started a conversation and never got any replies from them. I want my money back and this account canceled immediately!! (If i can ever get in touch with them!) i dont have a photo of anything (except an empty mailbox)

mildredd18
2/2/19

Your company took $113.00 out of my account when I was told it would be TEN DOLLARS.You caused my account to come up SHORT.Now you have caused me late fees on my other accounts which are taken out the FIRST OF THE MONTH.I am on a FIXED INCOME,SO AFTER I READ TEN DOLLARS A MONTH,THAT AMOUNT COULD FIT INTO MY BUDGET.I WILL NEVER TRUST YOU AGAIN.IF I HAD KNOWN THIS IS HOW IPSY OPERATE THERE IS NO WAY I WOULD HAVE TRUSTED YOUR COMPANY.THANKS #BUT NO THANKS>I NEED AND WANT MY MONEY PUT BACK IN MY ACCOUNT.MILDRED DAVIDSON>mildredzoe05@gmail.com

lauram654
1/26/19

I never received my December bag. I was told they'd send a replacement. I followed up twice initially over two weeks after my promised tracking code never came. After 3 wks and no codes and no bag tried contacting them again. Sent about 5 emails over a couple of weeks which were never answered (tho they say expect an answer within 24 hours) and 2 tweets and one DM. Totally ignored. The best? They have no telephone customer support because they say they don't need it since they handle everything best via social media and email. How awful for customers to have to chase them down for help. They are fine if they choose to answer you. If not? You have no recourse. Choose a different subscription box. There are too many with better products and better customer service.

alissat5
1/20/19

I am pretty happy with the products I receive every month from ipsy. They are pretty aligned with what my preferences are; a lot of brands I dont recognize but some I do and overall good quality still. I actually like when I get things I wouldnt usually choose because I'm so stuck in my ways; I use this service to broaden my makeup pallette a little.

I am very pleased with the customer service (I was helped by Santi). Although it was no fault of theirs really, but some mishap with where I was living, moving, and delaying in shipping, I didnt receive this month's bag. After using the online form to contact customer service, I got a reply back within 24 hours as promised on the site with a new bag promised for my new location!

I was worried about lack of a phone line to contact them but responsive!

tracyt109
1/18/19

a company in which you write for any problem and do not last two hours to answer and solve your problem in a friendly and professional way do everything possible to solve any type of problem.

kendalls41
1/8/19

I signed up 1/1/2019 and $10 was taken from my account. I checked my app every day excited to see what would be in my bag, but nothing changed and it kept telling me to check back 1/2/2019. Fast forward to today, 1/8/2019, and it's now saying that I will not receive a January bag because either my payment could not be processed, my account is on pause, I'm on an every-other-month plan or I signed up after bags were assembled. I checked my account and it is not on pause and it was, in fact, a monthly subscription. I checked my bank account and the $10 was taken. According to FAQ's glam bags are made in the middle of the month, so I didn't miss the bag assembly date. It's still unknown to me why I'm not receiving the bag I paid for. I've emailed Ipsy regarding this (their only form of communication, btw), but based on other people's experiences on here I'm not sure when or if I will be hearing back. I originally emailed intending to get my bag, now I'm contacting them intending on getting a refund for the $10 they took without providing their services. It just sucks because I've been wanting to sign up for some kind of make up box for years, and finally this year, after rarely treating myself to stuff like this, I decided to take the plunge on ipsy and they screwed me over the very first month. I certainly will not recommend this service to any of my friends and am extremely disappointed that this is my first and only experience with a subscription box. Needless to say, I won't be making this mistake again.

lesleyj11
1/3/19

Hi, I'm here today to give a review for Ipsy, a company I once highly recommended but has now severely let me,as well as many of my friends, down.
I have subscribed to this company for about 8 months now and it has had its ups and downs. On the pro side, I do like the opportunity to try new products, but on the con side, I find that I often don't get products that are a good match for me.
For those that are unfamiliar with Ipsy, as part of thier business model, this company "matches" you with 5 beauty items per month that they think you will like. They gather this information from a profile you help build by answering questions filling out "beauty preferences" on an account on thier site. Basically, if you would like to receive a certain type of item (mascara, lip stick, leave-in conditioner, etc.) you tick a box. If you do not want to receive a certain type of item, you don't tick the box for that item. You also tick boxes for certain colour schemes you might like as well. Anyhow, from an assortment of items, based on your selection you receive items that should be a match. Now, the problem with this is that this company is very misleading. They lead you to believe that if you don't want an item, you won't get it, and this is not the case. As someone who has worked in customer service for a long time in the past, I know it is important to listen to the customer. If someone says they do not want something, then you do not sell it to them, that is honestly the easiest part. It really helps narrow thins down if you already know what someone doesn't want. You don't give them those things, you focus on what they do want. Over the last couple of months especially, I have noticed that I have received things that I had down as things I didn't want. I noticed my friends saying for some time that this is something that's been happening to them too. I thought that this was happening in error, but after sending an email about it I was informed by an Ipsy customer service agent that you may still receive items even if your beauty profile does not have that item selected. How is this "matching" someone with items they will enjoy? If I have a ton of make up brushes and dont need anymore, and I put that I don't want make up brushes, how is a make up brush a good match for me? (I have it set that I don't want make-up brushes" and I have received them twice now).
Also, this may seem of much lesser importance, but this company also says they will base your matches off of reviews. I leave reviews for each product each month and I have stated 3 times now that though I love liquid liner, I don't like eye pencils and can't use them. They haven't listened once to this. In fact, just last month they sent me an eye pencil, I reviewed to say I don't like eye pencils, and this month they sent me another eye pencil! They typically have about 20 to 30 item choices they could send out per month, and they sent me another eye pencil! Even if I liked eye pencils, sending 2 almost identical eye pencils in a row is not something I, or most people would like.
Also not as importantly, but as part of the accumulation of my bitter feelings, I finally was set to get a lip gloss in a shade that I thought I would like (I have received quite a few lip colours and they are either really pale or really dark, I keep reviewing to say that I would love a dusty pink or every day red) but as it turns out, instead of sending me the colour they said they were sending me, I received a hot pink which is something most people would never use. Very disappointing when I was looking forward to the nice colour I was supposed to get. This may seem picky, but after 8 months of receiving bags, and having my beauty settings set very specifically, and with reviewing every item, it is pretty easy to become frustrated when it appears that no one is bothering to look at my preferences. And now I've been told via email that even if you don't want something you could get it anyhow? That's just poor customer service. If this were for free samples, this would be fine, but I am paying for these items, also, what is the sense of having a beauty preferences profile if no one is going to look at it?
In my email I requested a simple solution for now. Since I don't like eye pencils and have said this many times and just received 2
in a row, I asked if they could switch the eye pencil for this month with a liquid eye liner. The bags have not gone out yet and there's is a liquid eye liner as one of the choices for this month. This would be a simple fix for a frustrated customer who is considering cancelling, but I was told no. You might think "well,maybe there is 2 sides of the story" well, I suppose there is, but if you asked someone 3 times not to send you something and they kept on doing it, I really think you would feel the same. You would probably also want a solution to the problem, and you would probably also think a simple switch would be an easy fix and would at least show you as the customer that the company was listening and trying to help.
Also, as a warning, a friend of mine who I referred to Ipsy, was just telling me that she decided to take the option to "hold" her subscription. She didn't realize the hold was only for one month (must be in the fine print) until she was recently billed. She went to check on which items she would be receiving and discovered that they were all mostly things that she had set on her preferences that she didn't want, so she didn't even have the consolation that she was getting things she wanted or needed. So please be careful with "holding" your subscription, it is only for a month. She told me she would be cancelling now after the experience. As for myself, I saved up enough points over many months to redeem a free item through thier points program, and after I receive it I will be cancelling as well. I feel bad now for referring my friend. Overall, if you expect this to be a company that will listen to your concerns or take your profile into consideration for matches then you might be sorely mistaken.

brandyn14
12/31/18

I love this company. Some complain that some items they get aren't through their beauty profile, but if you play with your beauty profile every month and also do the questionnaire about improving your glam bag products, I feel it does improve what you get. Every month my ipsy glam bag keeps getting better for me. Plus also this subscription is cheap, so if you are a beginner at make-up or you can't afford a lot of make-up, then this would be a good company to go with

dianao50
12/26/18

Hello Everyone,

I signed up for IPSY as a member because they had great prices on my favourite brand Farmacy. However when I tried to order my products I kept getting this shipping address is invalid. When I tried to reach out to customer support they told me no worries your beauty bag will be delivered. However when I tried to email them back telling them that I was inquiring about the items in my cart and not the beauty bag they did not email me back. Obviously their focus is to get you to join as a member for the initial month payment. I am so disappointed I was so excited.

jaimer17
12/11/18

I really love getting my monthly ipsy bag! It has been over a year now. It's a great way for me to try out products, it's only $10, and I can change my preferences as needed. I have discovered some great skin care products and makeup that I would have never tried otherwise!

dawna97
12/10/18

I just want to say that ipsy customer service is amazing!! Anytime i email them i always get a quick response , and any problems I've had with products or shipping have always been resolved without a doubt!! I gotta say that's a huge reason why i continue with my subscription, because not only are the products always amazing but they care about customer satisfaction!! No matter what the issue has been I've always been satisfied , i wish all companies understood what it really means to a customer to always have outstanding customer service!! Ipsy sure does 100%!!! Thanks ipsy!!!!

Tip for consumers: I just want to say to current and future ipsy customers, if you ever have a problem with anything like shipping, products, missing items, or just anything..please don't hesitate emailing ipsy because they will be there to help you and make it right..i haven't ever had a bad customer service representative, and they have always left me satisfied!!

billayk
12/7/18

great bags I usually like 4 of my 5 products. I loved when the bags were designed with some theme in mind, now about 6/12 bags are really spectacular.

debraa100
12/5/18

I didn't even want to give 1 star! I haven't received a bag since APRIL yet, they still charge me every month!! I have called several times, with ZERO response!! They say to email them, yet there is no email listed anywhere! WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!!!!! If they don't want people to cancel, maybe they should have a better way to contact them with issues!!!

alexad19
11/2/18

I was so disappointed by my first (and now last) glam bag! The cosmetic bag was ugly. The samples were very tiny. Two of the items didn't match my profile. Only one was a brand I knew. I don't mind an occasional unknown brand, but not 4 out of 5! Even if I'd liked every item, the whole thing was not worth $10. I watched a lot of videos about ipsy and am convinced all the positive reviews were paid and they received a bag much nicer than what you really get!

jillianm29
11/2/18

I love everything I get from the ipsy bag!
I get the best products. I love all the products I receive. Love it! I want more! I'm obsessed

I find that many months will have full sized products, which add up to at least $35-50 worth. I live in the US and it's $10/month including shipping. This also includes 5 products and a cute bag. Before receiving any samples, you'll take a quiz on your makeup style. With taking the quiz, you'll get makeup that you'll likely use and have the option of reviewing each product each month to see if you want to continue the same makeup in the future. I hope this helps Cayenne! :)

By Courtney M.

To cancel your subscription, please log in to ipsy.com and click on your profile picture in the upper right corner, then go to the "Subscriptions & Purchases" section to find the cancel button. Youll receive a confirmation via email, so just make sure you're still logged into your account when you open that email and click the link inside to finalize your cancellation. If you have any trouble at all, just email support@ipsy.com and we'd be happy to assist!

By Kaila B., ipsy Representative

Rosi, I have been a subscriber for several months. They send samples of many different brands but not Lime Crime. Here are some of the brands: City Color, trestique, NYX, Luxie brushes, Pacifica, star looks, Bella Pierre, Dermelect, be a bombshell, dls, hey honey, Marc Anthony, Eva nyc, MOR hand creme, Clarks botanicals, Avance, epice, belif creme, REN creme, and peek, and Trust Fund. During the ten months I have been a subscriber, I have only received a handful of high end makeup samples: the Balm, tarte, and smashbox. Some people love ipsy, but my experience has shown me that a lot of times they send me products that I don't like or ones that don't match my "beauty profile". So I will probably cancel soon. The products are not counterfeit, though. If I were you, I would not subscribe to ipsy. Hope that helps! -Heather

By Heather A.

I want to cancel ipsy but my password doesnt work.

By Karen T.

We offer email support (help.ipsy.com), but if you'd prefer to call, you can leave a voicemail at (888) 769-4526 and a representative will call you back as soon as possible!

By Kaila B., ipsy Representative

If you call them on it and object, the waitlist magically disappears .

By Lisa C.

I do think they pay attention to the different profiles, my daughter and I are different and we are getting the things we each like. I think I it's very worth it I love it,

By Laura M.

Hi Lorenia! Good news-- it looks like you were already upgraded from the Waitlist, and are all set to receive your December Glam Bag. It's already being prepped for shipment. We hope you love it! Ashley, Please don't cancel in hopes of getting bumped up! We organize the Waitlist by the date you subscribed, not by cancellation requests. However, if you ever have a friend or family member who wants to secure their spot, they can contact ipsyCare at support@ipsy.com.

By Kaila B., ipsy Representative

I'm having a very similar issue. The site tells me that my email and password don't match and after I tried to retrieve my password it never sent me an email. I would recommend emailing support@ipsy.com for help

By Kissy K.

I'm 57 and I love everything I get. I use most of it and what I don't use I give to my friends. I use all the bags they give you for organizing things like coupons, meds, make-up (of course!), postage stamps and bank deposit slips. Sign up!!

By lucy f.
Questions? Get answers from the ipsy staff and other customers.

6 Photos for ipsy