Review of HotWire

advertising@hotwire.com
2018 Customer choice award

judys322
2/4/19

Airline tickets arrival too late to get to our daughters graduation called within hours to cancel. Was told even though Delta as 24 hour cancellation, Hotwire will not honor or change flight to accommodate. Purchased cancellation policy which is only good if you are dying or too sick to fly. Would in no way try to work with me except to tell me Hotwire would cancel flight but would not refund any money.

jessicas601
1/25/19

If you are expecting to stay somewhere nice forget it they make up hotel names using the same address as another hotel with the same deal but you'll end up getting the lowest hotel anyway. The car rentals are expensive for one day it's insane. I would stay away if you try to call them they are located in the Philippians so your going to get an oh well we won't do anything for you.

soniat23
10/26/18

I reserved a car rental thru Alamo in El Salvador. I reserved a full size car. When I got to Alamo they bring out a Nissan Versa which is a compact car. I told the lady I requested a full size car and she told me that's what Hotwire send us, so she clearly said it was a Hotwire problem, the car was a piece of trash falling apart. After paying almost $500 for 9 days you expect more. I will never rent thru Hotwire. I call costumer service the lady only gave me the option to cancel my car. Really bad experience !! Stay away from Hotwire

johnc1803
10/25/18

Weeks after booking a reservation, Hotwire tried to pass off a photo/description mistake misrepresenting the comparable vehicle onto the car rental company. Upon further investigation this turned out to be a recurring HW problem. HW told me I should be pleased since they gave me a credit of $25 instead of the $400 more it will now cost to replace the vehicle. Very dishonest way of doing business. Surprised Expedia would tarnish its credibility by owning this P.O.S.

uriahr
10/7/18

If you want to rent a car, don't go through Hotwire.
I prepaid them in full for a vehicle, then i was double charged at pickup.
I received hotwire email 'Reminder' to go to a different car rental then the company i prepaid.
It wasn't until after I returned the vehicle,
that i noticed the double charge on my account.
Hotwire charge my card for the prepaid amount , Plus the actual rental.
With much difficulty,
I finally got to speak to hotwire Customer Care supervisor, Jenny.
I explained the situation to her and how I've been double charged.
She replied, there is nothing they can do, they do not give refunds or credits.
She also refused to transfer me to any hotwire management.
I will be reporting hotwire to the US government
Better Business Bureau for misrepresentation, lying &stealing.

timothys234
10/2/18

Your company is the worse I have ever dealt with!! I booked on a Monday and by Wednesday the price was $25 cheaper on your site. On Friday it was $77 cheaper on your site. I spoke to customer service with nothing bus excuses that that the price was final with no adjustments or refunds. Your sit says nothing about this until I entered my Credit card information and clicked okay/. Deceptive, Deceptive !!!!!!!!!!!! Your business practices are deceptive and misleading and you shuld be shutdown. Shame on you and your company. If my CC company could have despute the charge I would have but your terms prevented me from this!!! Shame on you. I will never rent or use your site or Kayak again!! Boo!! Your company stinks!!! Tim Sieban

I am 54 years old and never saw a worse company!!!! Shame on you again!!!!!!!

SIXT was honorable but could not fix this!! Shame on you!!!!

meghank22
9/28/18

Basically, they just want your money. So if anything happens you're screwed. It's no wonder they have horrible reviews everywhere, the customer service is disgusting. I had a family emergency, they were rude, asking for personal documentation of medical records (that I couldn't get and didn't want to share...) and they blamed the hotel for not issuing a refund when it was their fault. Save the hassle, use Expedia, HotelTonight, literally ANYTHING else.

mahera5
9/18/18

The superviser named Andrew at nights on september 19th 2018 doesn't know nothing...he is absolutely no help....i booked a 3.5 star and they gave me edward village in richmond hill ontario for 109 which is clearly not a 3.5 so called this andrew character answered and changed to another horrible hotel which is suppost to be a 3.5 star again called park inn for 115 which in my.eyes worst then the first one. Take in that on top of that i beem booking 2 queen.beds the whole time. So i finally get him to cancel that and book a 3rd room at this point hes telling.me exactly which hotel im getting so he offered me the sheraton in richmond hill for 209 dollars so i agree its 1 am at this point on the phone with this guy for an hour already...so i tell him to book it and guess what he tells me ....all of a sudden he tells me.its going to be 230 dollars (20 more dollars) cause i want a double bed after he just said 209....at the end i was so fed up i just paid the money and said forget it....horrible the man has no customer service skills ....never again

amberm150
9/9/18

I booked a room months in advance, when I got to the hotel, there is no sign on the hotel, I walk in there is no front desk, a guy just sitting at a folding table,and there is no lobby. The hotel looked so horrible my uber driver said she did not feel right leaving me there. It is now 1:30am and I am just tired, and I have already paid for a room for 4days. I ask the guy sitting at the table if he was working and proceeded to check in, after he checks my name he says they did not have my reservation made me call hotwire after 3hours on the phone They finally found my reservation I was able to check in. Get into the room the bathroom has mold on the walls, tub is filthy, bed is broken, walls in the room are molded. I leave the room it was not safe at all to inhale the mold. I call hotwire and tell them on their website I booked the Country Inn and Suites, and front desk says the name is the Montgomery Inn. I say I cant stay here im 3000 miles from home and I need another hotel, on their site the hotel I got was not the hotel I was at, the pictures of the room on hotwire were not the rooms at the hotel, and the room has mold. Hotwire tells me they might be able to give me a refund, but I will have to pay for another room. I explained I did not have the funds to pay for another hotel, that they could just apply the money I already paid and give me another hotel. They told me my only option was to pay for another room after speaking with several supervisors the last supervisor said he was hanging up and to stop calling. Since I was 3000 miles from home, I slept in my rental because I did not have the money for another hotel. I advise everyone to never book with hotwire. They lie about the hotels on their website,and customer service is awful!

stevenx6
9/9/18

I booked a hotel in Ottawa through hotwire one week before my long weekend holiday, paid online and got confirmation letter from Hotwire. However the day when I tried to check in, the hotel said Hotwire did not book the hotel for me. Contacted the Hotwire customer service several times and asked them to find another hotel for my family and they could not, my family could not find other hotel either. After 3 hours waiting for their customer support response, we got nothing. My family (my wife and I and 2 little kids) had to sleep in the car along the street after 7 hours driving. The kids cried whole night and we almost did not sleep. The night was awful not only because we were exhausted, but also because of the bad customer service we received from Hotwire. My family long weekend trip was ruined by Hotwire and we did not have any mode to enjoy the long deserved vacation. Hotwire only refund my money back. The so called compensation is to give me 50% credit for next trip and must be used within one year. The bureaucratic customer service and bad company policy make me never use their service any more, basically the compensation means nothing to me. We will never use hotwire again. This appears to be an ongoing issue with this company and how they handle their customers. I am very disappointed in this company.

christinem350
9/9/18

Booked my hotel 2 weeks in advance through hotwire. They took my money, I received my confirmation. Drive 7.5 hours to my hotel with my 4 month old and I am told my reservation does not exist. Hotwire never sent it. Isn't that theft? You took my money and never booked my hotel?

anthonyl201
9/7/18

I made a 7-day car rental via Hotwire. When my plan changed, I called them immediately - before ever picking up the car - and canceled the reservation. The staff on the phone confirmed that it was canceled. I never picked up the car. Then, when my credit card monthly statement came in the mail, I noticed the full charge of $238.67 - for what? I called them again, but the staff denies that the reservation was canceled, because the rate I was quoted was a "special rate," which had locked in my reservation. That's not what the staff had told me the first time when I called to cancel. Hotwire knows what it's doing. They have developed a methodical scam, using cunning practices, to scam customers. I will NEVER use Hotwire again, but the company needs to be sued and voted out of existence. It's a matter of time that this will happen.

susanh566
9/4/18

Hotwire relies on it's aggregate to fake no-vacanies and to scare you into believing there is nothing else out there. So I fell for it. Hotwire said a hotel had only 2 rooms left, and nothing else in the area, so I booked it. When I arrived at the hotel, they said they had plenty of rooms to choose from and the average price was $80! I paid $320 because of Hotwire. Don't fall for it. I did...

peterp307
9/1/18

Once but never again. Booked through Hotwire hotel for my family in Olathe (KS). Hotwire sent me a confirmation. On arrival it seemed that the room was reserved. But a week later my creditcard was charged by the hotel for around $ 600, claiming they never received any money from Hotwire. Called Hotwire customer service but the lady (from India?) was not able to speak proper English let alone solve the problem. Now mailed Hotwire several times but never received an answer. So now I paid the room twice for $ 600. Hotwire never never never again. You can book your trip anywhere but take my advice: DO NOT USE HOTWIRE!

barryh93
8/30/18

I booked a room in Toronto with hotwire and a couple of weeks later a situation came up that caused me to change my dates. They wanted to charge me more than what I booked the room for to change the dates. I didn't want to cancel, just change the dates. I ended up rebooking with another service for less than the hotwire price. Not slouch a good deal as they make it out to be.

jims588
8/28/18

Tried to book a flight, $800 altogether, they ended up charging $400 and said flight sold out "but I won't be charged". Was charged, called customer service, which is awful by the way, they have no idea what they're doing, said they saw it there and could book for me, they tried themselves and it charged another $400 again with no tickets. Never dealt with such incompetence from anywhere before. Do not use them.

josephc446
8/26/18

Just booked a 4* Hotel in NYC was given a list of 4 guaranteed hotels that I would get as my hotel. When I got the confirmation I ended up with a hotel that wasn't even on my list and Google is showing up as a 3* hotel. So basically they guarantee 1 out of 4 listed 4 * hotels and give you something totally different. The hotel they me only ended up 20 dollars cheaper than what I could have got Yotel for on booking.com. Fraudsters.

leanner17
8/25/18

Book an all-inclusive trip with Hotwire only to find out that we have to pay $630 for my 13 year old to stay. Hotwire had messed up our order up. It was upsetting cuz Hotwire said we had to come up with the money or our child would have to be out for 7 days while we were in Mexico. We had all our information right when we booked our trip and when you are a regular person trying to take your kids on a vacation $630 is not easy to come up with even though they were going to pay back to us when we got back to the States. We had to scrape up every little penny so our 13 year old would not be out on the streets and try to figure it out. This totally ruined our vacation and all the little things that we wanted to do while we were there. We will not be using Hotwire anymore.

galitg
8/23/18

I wish I had read these reviews before booking with Hotwire!
I think that prior reviewers summed it up. I booked a hot rate hotel, got the hotel name and immediately researched for reviews. Bad and worse reviews. Since it is non refundable I had to spend almost 2 hours trying to correct the situation , as I was NOT staying at the hotel they "matched" me with. Bottom line, they agreed to rebook me but I had to pay for a new reservation and wait for a refund from the original booking. The final rate is only $5/ night less than the hotel's website and booking directly from hotel offers free cancellation up to 24 hrs prior to stay. This was a mistake I will not make again as I will never use Hotwire!
I am sharing this in hope that it will help other travelers.

jeffy37
8/22/18

I booked a rental car over this website. Before pushing the final order, I asked my wife to double check and we saw red print stating that this order can be cancelled any time. Later I tried to cancel it and found that it became final order that we can not cancel it. We called several times to cancel it but not success. We paid over $700 for nothing and learn our lesson. DO NOT BOOK ANYTHING THROUGH THIS WEBSITE!!!

roshaundan
8/22/18

Hotwire is the worse company I have ever used. I reserved a room online that stated I could pay at the property but just need a card to reserve room. This wasn't strange I have stayed several places with this policy. It also stated there is no cancelation fee. Less than 30 minutes after reserving the room I was made aware that I could not travel due to my daughter becoming ill. I immediately called the hotel they stated I had to call HOTWIRE to cancel the reservation due to my card not being charged. When I called hotwire the rude rep stated my card was charged and it is none refundable $86.00. I was told I would get a call back never happened then got an email stating oh sorry for the lost thanks for booking with us. Now calling nobody can explain anything. There was NEVER anything online stating this for the room especially saying I can pay at the property. Now I'm out of my money and no one is willing to help. Good thing when reserving the room I took a screenshot so now the bank is on it. This company is a scam and I will never in the life book anything with them.

candicec35
8/18/18

Absolutely terrible from the start. Booked a flight to St Thomas from LAX a few months in advance, they changed our flight reservations about 5 times during that time with the last flight change making my arrival day 2 days past what we had originally booked. My friend and I were on different reservations so we each called to rectify the flights. After several hours of back and forth she was able to fix it, although getting entirely new flights. When I called to do the same, they told me it was against their policy to alter the reservation without a fee to me.....When I stated my friend had just had this done just a few hours before they kept restating their 'policy'. The person I spoke to (after we ended the call) also went ahead and changed my flight to two days past he date I was calling to fix, which now had me landing 4 days past my original date. It took my friend and I about 8 hours of calling, dropped calls, and arguing for us to get my flight fixed. I will never never never never use Hotwire again and I will tell everyone I know never to use them either.

dominickb29
8/9/18

One Agent offers refund on early rental return. Upon returning manager doesn't offer the same and hangs up phone on me.

mengy2
8/8/18

I finally resolved a rental car issue with Hotwire today and wanted to give a review so potential customers know what to expect. I've used Hotwire several times before. One thing I noticed is that the deals are not nearly as good as advertised (you'll see more at the end of the review). On some previous bookings, after I booked on Hotwire and learned about the name of the hotel, I went to the hotel's website and looked up the rates, and they were actually cheaper than Hotwire after taking the Hotwire fees into account. What prompted me to write this review is not the questionable deals, it's the customer service when something goes wrong. I booked a rental car for 2 days through Hotwire, and the rental car company said they were paid for only one day by Hotwire, so the rental car company made me pay for the second day of the rental. I contacted Hotwire by phone, by email many times, and even though Hotwire says the response time is 5 business days, I usually got no response after 5 business days and had to call them, and then they would tell me to wait for another 5 business days. Then at some point they told me to contact the rental car company directly, and when I called the rental car company, they said it had to go through Hotwire because I booked through them. After numerous emails and calls, I finally got a three-way call with Hotwire and the rental car company, and Hotwire agreed to refund me for the one day the rental company charged me for. Guess what, the rate the rental company charged me is $20 cheaper than Hotwire's rate. With such horrible service and bad deals, I would never use Hotwire again.

stevej263
8/5/18

Booked Savannah and purchased insurance. The Hotel given was across the river and required driving to all historic site, we then went to cancel and we're told we can't use insurance for that.

Thanks

302 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

You can add my name to the list of thousands and thousands that thinks HOTWIRE/EXPEDIA SUCKS!!

By Gerald G.

The hotel must honor your booking and you are more than entitled to that room upon your arrival. Be sure to have BOTH the hotwire confirmation number as well as the hotel confirmation number. Print out the email confirmation you received from hotwire and take it with you to present to the hotel upon checking in. Both of those confirmation numbers should be stated on your confirmation email from hotwire or the third party booking company. Hope you have a great time in New Orleans!

By Susan P.

If you want to be sure to get the EXACT hotel you wish to stay at, you cannot book through Hotwire as they NEVER reveal the hotel until AFTER you have paid for the booking. The only time Hotwire reveals the hotel name is in their vacation "packages"; that is when you are booking the hotel, the flight and car. If you want to book a specific hotel then try booking through Expedia.com or book through the hotel directly. If you are a member of the auto club, AAA, you can book through them as they can generally save you a little bit of money on the cost of the room because they get a minimum 10% discount at most hotels. If you are not a AAA member, it's probably a good idea to get a membership as it has many amazing benefits. Good luck and have fun in Irvine!

By Susan P.

$#*! No

By Jordan D.

Because Hotwire is a scam.

By Lynette C.

Questions? Get answers from the HotWire staff and other customers.

11 Photos for HotWire