Review of HotWire

2018 Customer choice award

bigdickd
4/17/19

DO NOT USE HOTWIRE!
Their web site to make bookings is rigged.
They change dates and you are not aware of it until you place the order.
THEY DO NOT WORK WELL WITH CUSTOMERS.
Non english speaking off shore help.
THIS PLACE SUCKS SEWER WATER!

muawear
4/16/19

we booked 2 tickets in jan 19, called to ask if we can change the last name due to marriage statues change, they said yes with no fees. after the changes made to the passport, they wanted to issue a new ticket and cancel the old one which causes 1200$ increase in the price and they said it is based on Korean airlines policy, called Korean airlines and they said they can change it, they said 3 way call us to tell them how, til this moment i cant get a hold of a supervisor from hot wire to work with me.. big name websites acts like a small company that is full of scamming.

allyf4
4/10/19

I booked a "hot deal", which was consider to be 3.5-4 stars. Turns out online it is a two star review!! It is a pet friendly hotel, and i am allergic to dogs. I stated I was able to stay at ANY other hotel, they refused however my "safety" was their priority. Also turns out my hotel has mold. Can't wait for vacation. Don't book with Hotwire!!! Horrible customer service.

nadsd
4/10/19

II have no idea how this business is still afloat and haven't been sued!

Their strategy is clearly to sell you the crappiest hotels for the highest fees by bundling them in the advertising with the better hotels and brands - in the end you end up overpaying for some crappy hotel which you would have not booked in your life!

The way the averaging of their hotel ratings and tripadvisor ratings ensured that what is a 3 star rating in trip advisor and 2 star rating by customers is shown as an average of 4.5 in trip advisor and 4 in customer ratings because they fraudulently average the wrong hotels!

have booked twice with Hotwire and never again! The first booking was in Las vegas where I paid a higher price than what the hotel actually cost _ I thought it was my mistake to do more research and put it aside.

The second time I booked in New York as a blind booking and they advertised several hotel brands which were in a certain area. when I actually booked I received a confirmation in a completely different neighbourhood but that which they actually had annexed in THEIR map as a part of the midtown area in NY!! The hotel was also the crappiest hotel with the lowest ratings - which they had conveniently averaged with other better hotels - what a joke!

When I finally complained they rudely mentioned that I made a blind booking and their policy is not to change or refund as it was my responsibility to check the fine print which says that they can also assign " any other hotels in their pool" I know bad customer service a mile away.

Tip for consumers: Just don't use it! its really not worth it!

melaniec126
3/21/19

Holy cow. Everything was jacked up. So frustrating. They can't find your reservations. It booked the wrong dates. On and on. Get pissed, demand a supervisor, cancel your reservations. Go thru someone reputable. Nightmare.

ryann102
3/19/19

If you find a good rate for a car rental on Hotwire, I would be wary. I tried and they gave me ACE Car Rental in Las Vegas. If you read the reviews on this place, they are the worst, dirty rotten scoundrels you can think of. I called Hotwire to get a refund, but unfortunately, they refused, because it was a "Hot Buy". I was travelling out to the dessert and did not want to get stuck in an unreliable car. I also did not want to be late for my tour. I decided to book another company and eat the cost of using their cars. I will never use Hotwire again.

derrecey
3/19/19

They are a scam! Booked a hotel and never received any confirmation or reminder. They had no record of my booking and then I was charged for the hotel when I didnt show because I booked with another company. The customer service was awful...5 hours on the phone and the best they could do was apologize. I will NEVER use Hotwire or Expedia (There are several of these online booking sites that are owned by Expedia) again!!

sarahib
3/17/19

If I could give them a zero I would. Their prices are much higher than what you would pay at the actual hotel. I know this because their was no communication between the site and the hotel and I was charged double.

martins297
3/15/19

I stayed at the Best Western Hotel in Goodyear Arizona from March 5-12 and I would HIGLY recommend people to stay away from it. They advertise fitness facility and daily cleaning of the rooms. LIES. No fitness facility and our room went un-cleaned. The carpet was so BLACK we put down towels to walk about. DO NOT book this hotel on Litchfield Rd EVER.

bobn46
3/9/19

I booked a car from this company. I thought I was going to be given a chance to select a pickup location... But, after making a payment, they said "All sales are final", and then gave me a 4 hour away pickup location. I called in 1 minute after making the purchase to cancel the order, and they kept saying "All sales are final". Horrible experience. Stay away! Beware, scam! You can guarantee my credit card company won't allow any charges to go through from this scam company.

keithm269
2/23/19

I have been using Hotwire for 6+ years. Never again. I called because they made an error on my area of interest, instead of moving me south like I had asked for, they moved me even further north. Bookit.com or any other site will get my business, along with my 400 employees who used Hotwire in the past.

harrys211
2/22/19

I've been a long-time user of hot wire for over 10 years. Regrettably, they have degraded into a useless piece of garbage. Specifically I rented a car and a "heart rate deal". When I found out the car company, it was 6 regrettably, they have degraded into a useless piece of garbage. Specifically I rented a car and a "heart rate deal". When I found out the car company, it was Sixt! WTF??? I immediately notified via the feedback that I was very dissatisfied with my surprise. Hotwired never called me or made any effort to make the situation better. Four months later, a nagging voice on my head kept telling me the day before my trip you better check out Sixt. I will leave the reviews to your own purview, needless to say they are not a reputable company. They only get 2 1/2 out of five stars and based overseas. I called to complain to hotwire and told me too bad so sad tough luck nothing we can do. I told them I will take a credit and please book me with another company they said nope can't do it. Hotwire made no attempt to try to resolve the situation. In complete and utter disgust, I booked a cheaper car rental online directly with Alamo today, did night before my trip $100 dollars CHEAPER than Hotwire. Regrettably the $270 that hotwire charge me for the same rental Is wasted. I have since written to the Better Business Bureau complaining, I have closed my account with hotwire and wrote a scathing review on their website. Do not ever use hotwire, you're fooling yourself you're better off doing a little Legwork, and with all the competition online, you're going to come out ahead.

judys322
2/4/19

Airline tickets arrival too late to get to our daughters graduation called within hours to cancel. Was told even though Delta as 24 hour cancellation, Hotwire will not honor or change flight to accommodate. Purchased cancellation policy which is only good if you are dying or too sick to fly. Would in no way try to work with me except to tell me Hotwire would cancel flight but would not refund any money.

jessicas601
1/25/19

If you are expecting to stay somewhere nice forget it they make up hotel names using the same address as another hotel with the same deal but you'll end up getting the lowest hotel anyway. The car rentals are expensive for one day it's insane. I would stay away if you try to call them they are located in the Philippians so your going to get an oh well we won't do anything for you.

soniat23
10/26/18

I reserved a car rental thru Alamo in El Salvador. I reserved a full size car. When I got to Alamo they bring out a Nissan Versa which is a compact car. I told the lady I requested a full size car and she told me that's what Hotwire send us, so she clearly said it was a Hotwire problem, the car was a piece of trash falling apart. After paying almost $500 for 9 days you expect more. I will never rent thru Hotwire. I call costumer service the lady only gave me the option to cancel my car. Really bad experience !! Stay away from Hotwire

johnc1803
10/25/18

Weeks after booking a reservation, Hotwire tried to pass off a photo/description mistake misrepresenting the comparable vehicle onto the car rental company. Upon further investigation this turned out to be a recurring HW problem. HW told me I should be pleased since they gave me a credit of $25 instead of the $400 more it will now cost to replace the vehicle. Very dishonest way of doing business. Surprised Expedia would tarnish its credibility by owning this P.O.S.

uriahr
10/7/18

If you want to rent a car, don't go through Hotwire.
I prepaid them in full for a vehicle, then i was double charged at pickup.
I received hotwire email 'Reminder' to go to a different car rental then the company i prepaid.
It wasn't until after I returned the vehicle,
that i noticed the double charge on my account.
Hotwire charge my card for the prepaid amount , Plus the actual rental.
With much difficulty,
I finally got to speak to hotwire Customer Care supervisor, Jenny.
I explained the situation to her and how I've been double charged.
She replied, there is nothing they can do, they do not give refunds or credits.
She also refused to transfer me to any hotwire management.
I will be reporting hotwire to the US government
Better Business Bureau for misrepresentation, lying &stealing.

timothys234
10/2/18

Your company is the worse I have ever dealt with!! I booked on a Monday and by Wednesday the price was $25 cheaper on your site. On Friday it was $77 cheaper on your site. I spoke to customer service with nothing bus excuses that that the price was final with no adjustments or refunds. Your sit says nothing about this until I entered my Credit card information and clicked okay/. Deceptive, Deceptive !!!!!!!!!!!! Your business practices are deceptive and misleading and you shuld be shutdown. Shame on you and your company. If my CC company could have despute the charge I would have but your terms prevented me from this!!! Shame on you. I will never rent or use your site or Kayak again!! Boo!! Your company stinks!!! Tim Sieban

I am 54 years old and never saw a worse company!!!! Shame on you again!!!!!!!

SIXT was honorable but could not fix this!! Shame on you!!!!

meghank22
9/28/18

Basically, they just want your money. So if anything happens you're screwed. It's no wonder they have horrible reviews everywhere, the customer service is disgusting. I had a family emergency, they were rude, asking for personal documentation of medical records (that I couldn't get and didn't want to share...) and they blamed the hotel for not issuing a refund when it was their fault. Save the hassle, use Expedia, HotelTonight, literally ANYTHING else.

mahera5
9/18/18

The superviser named Andrew at nights on september 19th 2018 doesn't know nothing...he is absolutely no help....i booked a 3.5 star and they gave me edward village in richmond hill ontario for 109 which is clearly not a 3.5 so called this andrew character answered and changed to another horrible hotel which is suppost to be a 3.5 star again called park inn for 115 which in my.eyes worst then the first one. Take in that on top of that i beem booking 2 queen.beds the whole time. So i finally get him to cancel that and book a 3rd room at this point hes telling.me exactly which hotel im getting so he offered me the sheraton in richmond hill for 209 dollars so i agree its 1 am at this point on the phone with this guy for an hour already...so i tell him to book it and guess what he tells me ....all of a sudden he tells me.its going to be 230 dollars (20 more dollars) cause i want a double bed after he just said 209....at the end i was so fed up i just paid the money and said forget it....horrible the man has no customer service skills ....never again

amberm150
9/9/18

I booked a room months in advance, when I got to the hotel, there is no sign on the hotel, I walk in there is no front desk, a guy just sitting at a folding table,and there is no lobby. The hotel looked so horrible my uber driver said she did not feel right leaving me there. It is now 1:30am and I am just tired, and I have already paid for a room for 4days. I ask the guy sitting at the table if he was working and proceeded to check in, after he checks my name he says they did not have my reservation made me call hotwire after 3hours on the phone They finally found my reservation I was able to check in. Get into the room the bathroom has mold on the walls, tub is filthy, bed is broken, walls in the room are molded. I leave the room it was not safe at all to inhale the mold. I call hotwire and tell them on their website I booked the Country Inn and Suites, and front desk says the name is the Montgomery Inn. I say I cant stay here im 3000 miles from home and I need another hotel, on their site the hotel I got was not the hotel I was at, the pictures of the room on hotwire were not the rooms at the hotel, and the room has mold. Hotwire tells me they might be able to give me a refund, but I will have to pay for another room. I explained I did not have the funds to pay for another hotel, that they could just apply the money I already paid and give me another hotel. They told me my only option was to pay for another room after speaking with several supervisors the last supervisor said he was hanging up and to stop calling. Since I was 3000 miles from home, I slept in my rental because I did not have the money for another hotel. I advise everyone to never book with hotwire. They lie about the hotels on their website,and customer service is awful!

stevenx6
9/9/18

I booked a hotel in Ottawa through hotwire one week before my long weekend holiday, paid online and got confirmation letter from Hotwire. However the day when I tried to check in, the hotel said Hotwire did not book the hotel for me. Contacted the Hotwire customer service several times and asked them to find another hotel for my family and they could not, my family could not find other hotel either. After 3 hours waiting for their customer support response, we got nothing. My family (my wife and I and 2 little kids) had to sleep in the car along the street after 7 hours driving. The kids cried whole night and we almost did not sleep. The night was awful not only because we were exhausted, but also because of the bad customer service we received from Hotwire. My family long weekend trip was ruined by Hotwire and we did not have any mode to enjoy the long deserved vacation. Hotwire only refund my money back. The so called compensation is to give me 50% credit for next trip and must be used within one year. The bureaucratic customer service and bad company policy make me never use their service any more, basically the compensation means nothing to me. We will never use hotwire again. This appears to be an ongoing issue with this company and how they handle their customers. I am very disappointed in this company.

christinem350
9/9/18

Booked my hotel 2 weeks in advance through hotwire. They took my money, I received my confirmation. Drive 7.5 hours to my hotel with my 4 month old and I am told my reservation does not exist. Hotwire never sent it. Isn't that theft? You took my money and never booked my hotel?

anthonyl201
9/7/18

I made a 7-day car rental via Hotwire. When my plan changed, I called them immediately - before ever picking up the car - and canceled the reservation. The staff on the phone confirmed that it was canceled. I never picked up the car. Then, when my credit card monthly statement came in the mail, I noticed the full charge of $238.67 - for what? I called them again, but the staff denies that the reservation was canceled, because the rate I was quoted was a "special rate," which had locked in my reservation. That's not what the staff had told me the first time when I called to cancel. Hotwire knows what it's doing. They have developed a methodical scam, using cunning practices, to scam customers. I will NEVER use Hotwire again, but the company needs to be sued and voted out of existence. It's a matter of time that this will happen.

susanh566
9/4/18

Hotwire relies on it's aggregate to fake no-vacanies and to scare you into believing there is nothing else out there. So I fell for it. Hotwire said a hotel had only 2 rooms left, and nothing else in the area, so I booked it. When I arrived at the hotel, they said they had plenty of rooms to choose from and the average price was $80! I paid $320 because of Hotwire. Don't fall for it. I did...

302 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

You can add my name to the list of thousands and thousands that thinks HOTWIRE/EXPEDIA SUCKS!!

By Gerald G.

The hotel must honor your booking and you are more than entitled to that room upon your arrival. Be sure to have BOTH the hotwire confirmation number as well as the hotel confirmation number. Print out the email confirmation you received from hotwire and take it with you to present to the hotel upon checking in. Both of those confirmation numbers should be stated on your confirmation email from hotwire or the third party booking company. Hope you have a great time in New Orleans!

By Susan P.

If you want to be sure to get the EXACT hotel you wish to stay at, you cannot book through Hotwire as they NEVER reveal the hotel until AFTER you have paid for the booking. The only time Hotwire reveals the hotel name is in their vacation "packages"; that is when you are booking the hotel, the flight and car. If you want to book a specific hotel then try booking through Expedia.com or book through the hotel directly. If you are a member of the auto club, AAA, you can book through them as they can generally save you a little bit of money on the cost of the room because they get a minimum 10% discount at most hotels. If you are not a AAA member, it's probably a good idea to get a membership as it has many amazing benefits. Good luck and have fun in Irvine!

By Susan P.

$#*! No

By Jordan D.

Because Hotwire is a scam.

By Lynette C.

Questions? Get answers from the HotWire staff and other customers.

11 Photos for HotWire