Review of HotWire

advertising@hotwire.com
2018 Customer choice award

chanellee
7/15/19

Recently booked a trip through hotwire for downtown Chicago and they didn't inform that parking fee was not included into the fee.bad customer service when I called

victoriag138
7/10/19

This website is the biggest rip off of life. BEWARE HOTWIRE IS FRAUD!

They charged me in USD when I have the screenshots that it was going to be charged in CAD.

I called over 22 times for them to rectify, I got hung up on by "Supervisors", their call center in Philippines never seems to be able to give me any answers.
After fighting for my wrongfully charged money, here I am being called a liar by them. They make cash off of people with their fine print and shady games.
The supervisor explicitly told me I would be reimbursed for the difference, then someone else called me a liar for saying that.

Also, the hotel was horrible.

Save your time and your money, dont book with Hotwire !!! ZERO for everything.

paulz219
7/10/19

Their "hot" deals are a joke. Why pre-pay for car rentals and pay more? I've now switched over to carrentals.com. No pre-payments and lower pricing than Hotwire. And Hotwire customer service is anything but service. All they care about is holding on to the pre-payments. Never, ever again will I give a penny of business to this company.

adrianb107
7/9/19

Very strict rules. My flight was delayed and they were not able to give me the car I booked 2 months ago. They wanted $120 extra!! Very bad customer service. I will not use them ever again

anabelas4
7/5/19

Hotwire needs to do a better job of what companies they recommend. I rented a vehicle from Payless and it was the worst experience ever. Was lied to about getting an immediate discount for being an awards member. When I called they brushed it off as no big deal and said they couldn't do anything about it. I was also told no supervisor or manager was on duty. I would never recommend them to anyone and will never use them again. Waited 1/2 hour to get my vehicle and they didn't even have the one I was told I was getting. Everyone I spoke to which was 5 different people had a horrible attitude and no customer service skillswhat so ever.

jeffc447
7/3/19

O% customer service could care less about Hotwire rentals. Oh we're sorry sir that's not available, we can put you in a smaller car for 1100

jimc67
6/29/19

I made a mistake when booking a trip recently by placing the wrong dates, but I did not figure this out until after the booking.

Because of this, my trip is not refundable.

Terrible policy. Won't return.

geoffg32
6/27/19

I have booked hotel reservations on their website many times and was always satisfied with the quality and value of the 4 star hotels we got for reasonable rates. BUT....

On 06/26/19 I decided to call them to book a specific hotel instead of rolling the dice for the online selection process and that's when the problems started. I spoke to an Agent and requested the London House Hotel at Wacker/Michigan in Chicago. She put me on hold multiple times and told me that the name of my requested hotel had changed. (it hadn't)
She booked me at the wrong hotel around the corner. I questioned her on this and she assured me it was correct and proceeded to take my reservation and charge my CC. When she sent the reservation to my email, I immediately called back to get them to correct their error and then the trouble really started!
I spoke to a Supervisor named Sheila (put on hold 4x to wait over at 48 minute call) who promised to call me back after reviewing the recording of my reservation. (Didn't happen) I called them back 24 hours later on 06/27 with their reference number provided and was again put on hold 3x over 18 minutes, to be told by another Supervisor that it would take their "Back Office" 5 business days to review the phone call and get back to me.
I've contacted my CC company and told them to reverse the charge and be assured I will NEVER trust this company again.

melindam96
6/22/19

I have been booking on hotwire since they started and I loved the deals I used to get but those days are long gone. I just booked my last room on Hotwire. it is such a disappointment and I actually think I over paid for this dump rather than get a deal. Since Expedia acquired them they ruined this site. Now you can book directly with the hotel and get within a couple of bucks of the rate hotwire is offering. They may save you $5-10 off the hotel rate but once you add in their fees then you are back at the hotels retail price. Disappointing for sure. Not using them anymore. It's the end of an era for travelers.

nicolev76
6/21/19

I was a customer for about 5 years and I never had a problem with them until the other day. I booked a hotel through them and they offered two different options there was one rate just for the hotel then there was another rate for the hotel with the breakfast for 2 and that is the one I went with. However arriving to the Hotel the lady mentioned and also confirmed over the phone with myself and Hotwire that the reservation didn't show it came with breakfast in their system. So long story short I didn't get the breakfast at the hotel because I had to pay and additional 12.00 per person and the property confirmed this. I told Hotwire I need to get some credit or my money back for the breakfast that they falsely advertised and I paid for it already and they fully refused. I spoke to about 5 different mangers at Hotwire and they simply told me they will not refund me anything or give me any credit at all. they all treated me like i was crazy. So I paid hotwire 301.50 total shows on my bank statement and the receipt they sent me the total was 289.50 and the hotel would've only charged me 268.00!!!! STAY AWAY FROM THESE PEOPLE BOOK DIRECTLY WITHT THE PROPERTY OR EXPEDIA!
ATTACHING PICTURES FOR PROOF BUT ITS NOT LEETING ME ADD THE PDF I HAVE ALSO LET MY BANK KNOW OF THIS FRAUD***

kristenk64
6/14/19

Hotwire has the WORST customer service! 6 hours after I booked my reservation they dropped the price but won't honor the discount. Horrible! Never booking through Hotwire ever again!

suef98
6/10/19

DON'T BOOK THOUGH THIS DISGUSTING AGENT, THEY ARE DODGY, I BOOKED TWO TICKETS FROM SHANGHAI BACK TO HONG KONG IN JAN FOR MAY, WE GOT TO THE AIRPORT AND OUR TICKETS HAD BEEN CANCELLED, THEY TOLD US THAT THEY WERE NEVER PAID FOR!! I PRODUCED THE BANK STATEMENTS SHOWING THE MONEY HAD COME OUT OF MY ACCOUNT THE SAME DAY OF THE BOOKING!! STILL CAN'T GET OUR MONEY BACK FROM EITHER THE TRAVEL INSURANCE COMPANY OR TRAVELGENIO. WE HAD TO BUY NEW TICKETS WHICH COST $1200AUD - DON'T USE THEM

steves969
6/9/19

Nightmare. I had a graduate exam at 8 AM in the morning. I drove all the way out to Holyoke. I drove 20 minutes out of my way to get to hotel, I wait in line then when I get to register - oops, Hotwire overbooked and I have no room! Yea.

The hotel was trying to contact Hotwire both before and while I was there to no avail. It's now 5:30 and I've got nowhere to sleep with a tremendously important exam first thing in the morning. I'm exhausted. I have to drive two hours right after the exam the next day to get back to my shift at Urgent Care.

I spend another 30-45 minutes looking for a place. Find one 30 minutes in opposite direction. Awesome - Not an awesome experience. I'm stressed. Finally get to next motel wondering if I'm going to have a room or not. I did, thankfully.

Between time I spent driving around, searching for another motel and adding stress to the already high amount existing it was an both a highly inconvenient and awful experience.

Not to mention I'm charged for two rooms in two places! Hotwire is sending me emails to rate my stay at both the place I couldn't stay and the place I did, obviously not responding the hotel's attempts to contact them.

At the very least Hotwire should comp me my nights stay. I'm doing another shift or I'd call now. I will tomorrow at some point.

With wasted and lost time, stress, inconvenience and duress, $500 refund would be a bargain in restitution.

marilynh200
6/8/19

I needed to change a flight. The individual at Hotwire did not clearly communicate the costs of changing the flight. The cost of the new flight was much higher than other flights available online. When I talked to someone at Hotwire about the first individual having unclearly communicated the change cost, he agreed that she sounded "under the weather". When I communicated with someone in a management position, he was rude.

Now they are refusing to give me the documentation I need to file a travel insurance claim. I have a charge of $954 on my credit card for the airline, but it does not specify what flight it is for or that part of it is a change fee. I need documentation for the claim that it is $300 for a change fee and $654 for the more expensive flight, but they are refusing to give me the documentation.
NEVER USE HOTWIRE

amberm208
6/8/19

Hotel did not have availability, sent us to another hotel, was suppose to credit the room. Hotwire and holiday Inn charged my card. Hotwire said it will be 5-7 days to refund my money back, manager was rude, didn't offer any compensation for the trouble. My card was charged a total of 3x making my account negative. I will never use this service again!

chadn22
6/4/19

Canadian, searching in Canada, specified canadian dollars in my kayak search and thats what kayak displayed BUT ... hotwire (otherwise known as haywired) ... show you ads for deals as part of the search results ... if you click on their ads the prices will be displayed in US dollars ... so they will look like good deals ... but arent ... I am sure they do it on purpose ... and nothing shows its in usd until the payment goes thru ... and then its too late ... they will not cancel or correct a booking ... Really pretty shady and no surprise there are so many poor reviews ... in the short run ... nothing to be done about it except spread the word about this awful company .... Do NOT use them

gauravs59
6/1/19

There flight reservation sucks, I requested them with some flight date changes in a multi-stop booking I had done through them. There simple response was we have to cancel the entire booking and charge cancellation fees. I could have given them charges for changes, but they would not do it. Really as waste of time and money

zadaa
5/29/19

DO NOT BOOK through them because there is a chance you will end up with nowhere to stay and out of the money you paid to them.

I booked a hotel through them for New Year's weekend 2019. When I arrived at the address on my itinerary, there was a vacant building. I looked for signs showing they had moved and saw nothing. I called the number for the hotel and got no answer. I had to stay in a MOTEL 45 minutes outside of Miami. When I contacted them they said they could not give me a refund. I even had pictures of the place with the "For Lease" sign in the window. The rep told me they contacted the hotel so I tried the number again myself. I did get through to somebody at the hotel that day and they informed me that they did have a DIFFERENT ADDRESS and they share a building so ANOTHER NAME was on the outside. Without speaking to someone, there was no way for me to know this!! The credit card company (Citi) took their side because of Hotwire's "no cancellation, no refunds" policy (even though I didn't cancel or stay there). They ROBBED ME of my $515. No services were rendered because they provided me with inaccurate information and did not care enough for their customer to admit or fix their mistake.

zerkr
5/10/19

Been using them for over 2 decades and really have only had 1 or 2 bad experiences over 100s of times I have used the site.

brittanil2
5/10/19

In March, my boyfriend bought me a ticket to visit him in fort McMurray, Canada. Before my trip to visit him, something came up and we needed to cancel the flight. Apparently your company doesn't provide refunds, only credits. Whatever. We made that work and planned a trip around using this credit ($441). After spending an hour and a half on the phone with an agent, who originally told me I could use the credit to fly to fort McMurray ONLY, she finally confirmed I was able to book a flight to comox, BC, but I had to pay $150 to USE my credit. So my credit has now gone down from $441 to $291, which makes absolutely no sense because it's money we already spent with your company!! Not only this, but I was not able to carry over any of the credit left over to use on his ticket, it was money we had to forfeit, which again! MAKES NO SENSE BECAUSE ITS MONEY WE ALREADY PAID!!
But at this time, as frustrated as I was, I let it go because we wanted to use this credit up.

Fast forward to today when I got my visa statement, imagine my surprise when I see that the $150 I had to pay to USE MY OWN CREDIT was actually an American dollar amount and had been converted to $204.84 Canadian. The fact that the person on the phone could clearly see I live in Canada and didn't mention anything about a conversion rate is ridiculous. Not only that, I bought a separate ticket for my boyfriend that should have cost $305, once again, I was not told this was in US and the ticket actually cost $421.37 Canadian. A trip for two cost me more than $620 BUT I HAD A $441 CREDIT!!!

I am so disgusted and appalled at Hotwires business practices and I can promise you we will never be using you again for anything and we will be telling EVERYONE what a horrendous experience it has been dealing with this company.

michala7
5/3/19

I booked today a hotel in NYC for June 2ed. 2 rooms. they offered a hotel in the times square area, one out of 4 hotels. I booked, the price is 200$ a night and I got Yotel hotel. than I found out through TripAdvisor that there is no door between the room and the toilet.
I called them immediately. At the beginning they said they would check with the hotel. after they did check and the hotel confirmed that information they said they can not do anything about it. Can not give me any other hotel on that category, on their choice, or cancel the reservation.
So I'm paying more than 200$ per night for a room with a toilet inside the room.
They would not send me this in writing either, but the case id no. is 30000092893 and the supervisor name is Diana agent id 945

laraleh
4/30/19

Hotwire sent me to a hotel that allows prostitution. The homeless hangout all around there too. I booked with children. Hotwire would not cancel or change my reservation. SHAME on Hotwire

deboram16
4/27/19

I booked a hotel through Hotwire and when I got there it was overbooked, and when I called them to complain they offered me 25 dollars as credit in my account and reimbursement for the hotel. It was 10:30 in a place I didn't know and it was snowing!! Don't trust this website!!

lorib258
4/21/19

Can't begin to express my hatred for this company. A mistake was made during a booking on line and NOPE!!! NO REFUND!! Will absolutely NEVER use them again. $304 later and they have lost a customer for life who will tell everyone I can about them. If that is how they have to do business it is pretty bad. They must be desperate.

neshe
4/20/19

I just booked a hotel last night my reservation is 3 weeks away and I want to cancel the my hotel, they was not willing to give me my refund or even cancellation.

302 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

You can add my name to the list of thousands and thousands that thinks HOTWIRE/EXPEDIA SUCKS!!

By Gerald G.

The hotel must honor your booking and you are more than entitled to that room upon your arrival. Be sure to have BOTH the hotwire confirmation number as well as the hotel confirmation number. Print out the email confirmation you received from hotwire and take it with you to present to the hotel upon checking in. Both of those confirmation numbers should be stated on your confirmation email from hotwire or the third party booking company. Hope you have a great time in New Orleans!

By Susan P.

If you want to be sure to get the EXACT hotel you wish to stay at, you cannot book through Hotwire as they NEVER reveal the hotel until AFTER you have paid for the booking. The only time Hotwire reveals the hotel name is in their vacation "packages"; that is when you are booking the hotel, the flight and car. If you want to book a specific hotel then try booking through Expedia.com or book through the hotel directly. If you are a member of the auto club, AAA, you can book through them as they can generally save you a little bit of money on the cost of the room because they get a minimum 10% discount at most hotels. If you are not a AAA member, it's probably a good idea to get a membership as it has many amazing benefits. Good luck and have fun in Irvine!

By Susan P.

$#*! No

By Jordan D.

Because they have managed to successfully promote themselves as a discount provider, and have managed to convince customers that pre-paying for things like a car rental gives you better pricing. In truth, other car rental sites like carrentals.com offer lower pricing without pre-payment requirements.

By Paul Z.

Because Hotwire is a scam.

By Lynette C.

Questions? Get answers from the HotWire staff and other customers.

14 Photos for HotWire