Review of HostWinds

Tel: 855-467-8946
sales@hostwinds.com

scotts603
8/20/18

Although Hostwinds makes claims of a 60 day money back guarantee, there are a few select products that do not carry this guarantee, in fact, they have no money back guarantee, at all. Even if you buy one or more years of this service. Why? How would you know if the service is right for your business, without at least trying it, first? Oh, but, they state this product is not covered in the terms of service. Second question... why? Seeing that a person might be making a large financial investment, when they offer multiple year subscription at a discount (baiting the trap). Why not at least mention (on the sales page) that the product is not guaranteed, at all? Why hide such an important fact in the terms of service? This kind of business practice is purely unethical, and only serves one purpose, to entrap the customer. I would not do business with such an unethical company. Long story short - I wanted to upgrade from my Hostwinds shared hosting to VPS. After half a day of confusion trying to get my account up and running, I asked for a refund, and I just wanted to stick with my old shared account. That's when they told me about the terms of service that I agreed to. I had bought a one year subscription for $366, and they would not give me a refund, although it had it for less than 8 hours. I then went to PayPal and opened a dispute. They (Hostwinds) instantly, suspended all my accounts (all my sites disappeared and were replaced with an embarrassing "account suspended" notice), even my old shared account which was in good standing (WTF?). This is their "strong arm" tactic to get you to remove the dispute, they obviously have a lot of experience with customers opening disputes with PayPal, otherwise they wouldn't have this "strong arm system" in place. After fighting with them to get a "partial" refund. They charged me for a month, even though I didn't want it, and told me I had 24 hrs to accept that deal, or I get nothing back. Nice way to treat your customers. I closed all my accounts with Hostwinds, and I found a much better hosting company at a fraction of the price, with full disclosure about their refund policies. Thank god there are still some companies that adhere to ethical/honest business practices. As far as their (Hostwinds) actual hosting service, it's mediocre at best, and actually not worth the price. I guess that's why they have to entrap people with their shady guarantee policy. They need the money. I agree with a few of these other reviews, Hostwinds was a much better company a few years ago... not anymore. They should change the name of the company to Hostile Winds.

Tip for consumers: Stay away, but if you must try them out, ask a lot of questions and read every word of the terms of service before purchasing anything. They will keep your money without hestitation, whether you use the service, or not. They hide behind the TOS, and use very unethical business practices when dealing with customers.

robinw149
8/14/18

I've been really really happy with their service rendered. I must say that the server is definitely perfect for me! Though they rarely have downtime servers (that happens only once in a blue moon) due to their monthly/quarterly maintenance to keep everything working as good as possible. I also love how accommodating they are. they respond within 24 hours and you can easily reach them. Last year my blog got hacked and without any sweat they were able to revive EVERYTHING in less than an hour! weew! Then just this year I transferred to a new domain and I am so happy because they extended their service by assisting me with my request. I am so thankful to be hosted under them. I couldn't imagine my blog being hosted under other hosting sites out there. :)

brookem71
7/16/18

Hostwinds offers a great price on domain name registration - so be happy you can get the domain name you want at the same place as pretty affordable hosting.

humphreyp7
7/16/18

Two things are featured on the Hostwinds home page, and throughout the web site. First prominently shouted is 60 DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE; also loudly proclaimed is 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE. In my experience neither is true. The boldness of Hostwinds makes me wonder from which orifice the wind breaks.

I was lured into signing up with Hostwinds, and within a few hours, it was clear that the plan I subscribed to could not provide the PHP version I craved. So I requested that Hostwinds cancel and refund.

Here is where Hostwinds gets weird. The response I received was that unless I spake the words "I confirm the cancellation of: Product: Basic Reseller and more descriptive information. Hostwinds would not cancel or refund. Mind you, the words please and cancel have not meaning or significance. One must chant the mantra of cancelation verbatim according to the dogma of Hostwinds, or the great host of wind will not smile upon you. How silly. My reply was then and remains I accept and adopt the dialog provided, without reservation or omission.

Not good enough the great Hostwind spake! Be cast out of our presence. Well thats effectively what they said after I disputed the charge upon the basis of Hostwinds offer of refund and satisfaction. Sad one must go to extremes when a business prefers to hold a pittance hostage instead of exercising the promise they held out.

malcolmn8
7/6/18

I wanna say that Hostwinds has some of the best customer service I have experienced in a long time. Prior to using their cloud web hosting, I had a website running on their shared hosting. When I had problems with their service and posted a video about it online, Hostwinds themselves reached out to me even though I didn't even ask for it. Now I am happy!

franziskae1
7/5/18

Found this hosting to be the best efficient and cost effective hosts among the existing ones. A better user experience and satisfied performance of the dedicated servers .
I would suggest you to have a 24/7 support on call facility, to enhance service quality and faster troubleshooting.

vikasg9
6/11/18

Hostwind response time is quite fast on support ticket. they answered the ticket in 15 minutes. i had conversation regarding the issue and everytime they responded in 15 minutes. Ticket number :- #05312018421-3149188

olexandrp
5/31/18

1. Hosting prices are below average it is good for me.
2. Domains are very expensive. I used godaddy.
3. Support of Wordpress - yes. It is good option.

Tip for consumers: Warning about domains: Firstly find the place to register domain name - their domain names are very expensive!

richardn137
5/11/18

When I started with Hostwinds I had an intention to grab smallest VPS, but started with shared hosting account, because I was told I would be able to upgrade my account to VPS with no problem. And after some time I do understand that it was correct to not to start with VPS.
Signing up process - nothing special, but my new order was put "on hold" , so I had to reach hostwinds and just confirm my identity. Do not feel really comfortable on this, but it seems to be normal to most services I used.
Now I have everything I expected (nothing extra) - site up and running, assistance always in pace (I always have the chat assistance when I'm in my client area).
Price I pay is fair enough.

Tip for consumers: Be prepared that you will need to confirm your identity.

chrisf236
5/9/18

I've been with Hostwinds for 3 years and have had a decent experience, nothing outstanding. Recently however, they have changed something forcing you to upgrade to a "Cloud" VPS if you wish to add additional IP addresses, etc. to your package. Interestingly enough, the same package that cost $55 now costs $75 if you "migrate" as they they put it. We all know datacenter costs have gone down and will continue to, so why the $20 per month jump in price?

But the issue I've found most over the past few months is that the Tech Support don't know what they are doing anymore. They used to be skilled and knowledgeable when you made a ticket, now they either don't read the ticket and take time to understand it, or are just plain "I can push the reset button and now have been promoted to answering tickets" type people. A simple request to have additional IPV6 addresses assigned took a back and forth with 4 different support people before it was resolved. A downed website took over 2 days and over 7 different employees.

To further that, when I created a new cloud VPS server on Windows 2016, they did not install the Windows source files onto the HD so you could add roles and features or Windows components. I had a 3 day back and forth with them, 50% of the time them not understanding something very simple like that and 50% of the time they reffering to my new package as "Unmanaged" and they won't help - which is fine, except that their own TOS says they will help for 2 certain things: Infrastructure and a properly configured VPS, which this fell under - and they still did not fix the problem. I had to end up downloading a CD of Server to get the Source files so I could install IIS.

Better to look elsewhere if you need support that knows what they are doing.

demianb3
3/27/18

Exceptional customer service. Whenever I have a query they quickly respond by email or even phone me to discuss the issue in depth. I'm very glad that I went with them and would recommend Hostwinds ssd host to anyone looking for hosting. I'm new to blogging and they are always happy to help me with my site.

johnh857
3/15/18

Thank you Hostwinds for being such a helpful and courteous company. Please don't change that. I hope to be a customer for life.

lilyg30
3/15/18

Awesome top-notch hosting is available from them.
Support has to be one of the best around. You can get someone on the line almost immediately.

geob24
3/12/18

Im no website expert and often require the utmost patient & professional support. Hostwinds has pleasantly surprised me with their level of personalized, prompt customer support. I am blown away to be treated like they care about providing answers to my complete satisfaction. All I can say is thank you!

elizabethl129
2/1/18

Excellent hosting. Great services, great support, great price. I would recommend to use Hostwinds for everybody who are interested in getting quality services.

adriannag2
1/31/18

I had some issues with redirecting my domain while maintaining my email and hosting services with Hostwinds. All of their support personnel are amazing. They are knowledgeable, kind and helpful. No matter what my concerns have been throughout my three months with them, I have always received the best customer support ever. My thanks to all that are there to provide excellent service.

dominow1
1/26/18

Great, thanks for all their help! SSH is indeed working now. I'm going to keep an eye on the webmail panel for both IP addresses. I am very pleased with the service and the technical support is awesome; timely, polite, and comprehension is amazing!!! .... As I expand my business I will definitely be using Hostwinds!
Thank you for such great service!

eefkeb
1/11/18

Hostwinds support is pure awesomeness.
First, they migrated my websites and apps from my old host, then they installed the needed services/applications for my websites to work and went further by optimizing my server so my visitors don't experience slowness that usually happens when one migrates to another host. I feel that I will collaborate many years with this hosting provider. Keep up the great work, Hostwinds.

rochaf
12/20/17

I have just recently taken the plunge and moved hosting company, something that has very defiantly not been done on a whim! I have spent months looking at alternatives and finally chose HostWinds. As an IT Director, this has to be one of the best decisions I have ever made. The transition was made so easy by the staff, in particular Adam and Darren. I have nothing but praise for this company and wish that all of my other IT suppliers would take a leaf from their book. I never make a recommendation of service, but in the case of HostWinds I will make an exception. If you are still looking and pondering, ponder no more, these guys are so helpful.

Well done guys.

edeng7
12/19/17

I am happy to remain a customer of this host! I've enjoyed exceptional tech support and have maintained reliability accordingly!

derekm72
12/5/17

These guys are absolute crooks! Hostwinds offer a really good price with 70% discount on black Friday. so I took the basic vps package. if you look on the website under windows vps it says Instant setup and 60 day money back guarantee! so I paid and waited and waited and opened a ticket and opened a chat. Here they said it was becasue the cloud hosting had gone down! omg I though if the y are like this now! so I could not get any response from my ticket so I set up a dispute with paypal. And then instantly I got the server details and was able to log in. 2 days I spent uploading working files and scripts. I then canceled my paypal dispute and the minute i did this I then could not log in and got a ticket saying my service had bee cut because I had opened a dispute and they demanded the money again even though I had paid! Again I tried the ticketing service but what they do is put you on hold so you cant reply anymore to the tickets! so I contacted them through the chat and as you see below he was boasting that there is no refunds on any of the packages and no money back guarantee once I had clicked the button on the terms and conditions. look below this is how they trick and treat you
Hello Client. How may I help you?

Client 10:37:24 pm

I have only just started to try and work with you but already you have been late precuring the service i paid for and then I had to raise a paypal claim to refund my money, you then oppened my account and I canceled the paypal dispute and now you have closed my account and are trying to make me pay again
Ticket ID: #12042017437-2830547 10:38:15 pm

Mark G 10:38:48 pm

We currently do not offer refunds for the following:

We do offer a 60 day money back gurantee, you can find the details on this page:

The following products and services are not covered by our 60 Day Money Back Guarantee: Domains, Software Licenses, SSL's, Services Performed, IP Addresses, Product Upgrades, Cloud Servers, Dedicated Servers, Any services or products that are Billed on an hourly basis, and Product add-ons of any kind.

Submitting a PayPal dispute, as per our terms and conditions will make your account inaccessible, as a PayPal dispute causes all services to be automatcially canclled.
you will need to reply to the ticket for assistance with this as I don'n have any power to fix thsi for you via chat 10:39:00 pm

Client 10:39:57 pm

very clever you waited until i canceled and then you think you can still my money. I don;t think so

Mark G 10:40:14 pm

I suggest reading our Term and conditions

Client 10:40:38 pm

I have a business account on paypal and will call in the morning to show you have stolen my money and go from there
you offfer a full 60 day money back guarentee 10:41:00 pm
read your own terms that I have copies of

Mark G 10:41:35 pm

BUTTTT this is also in the policy::

Client 10:42:01 pm

mine is a vps

Mark G 10:42:16 pm

Is is a Cloud VPS? if so it falls under Cloud Servers

Client 10:42:40 pm

am looking forward to share
my experience

Mark G 10:43:06 pm

Understood, wheen you purchase our products you do click: I agree and have read the terms and conditions

Client 10:43:26 pm

look at your own page

Mark G 10:44:03 pm

yes our Windows adn Linux VPSs are considered to be cloud servers

Client 10:44:25 pm

it says60 day money back guarentee

Mark G 10:44:40 pm

You also click before checkout the "I agree to the Terms and Conditions"

Client 10:45:21 pm

don't think so its advertised on your site you must adhere to it.
am copying this text thank you
I am not happy with the purchase or your service 10:46:32 pm

Mark G 10:48:37 pm

Sorry to hear you are unhappy, I do recommend that you handle all billing issues via the ticket as I am not a member of billing

Client 10:49:29 pm

I don;t think you will be a member of the team at all once I discuss this with your boss

Mark G 10:49:53 pm

Understood, I am just letting you know what our policies are, I am not preventing you from doing anyting,

Duration: 15m 48s
Chat started on: https://clients.hostwinds.com/supporttickets.php

dianam126
11/16/17

I want to say some more words of Hostwinds, it's a very well executed hosting company. If you are technical, they can help, if you are not technical, they can help! I like the way they provide their services.

katharineb7
10/9/17

I really get the impression that both tech guys really care about their customers and are always prepared to go that extra mile to ensure that hosting with them is a great experience. I love working with team! I always receive professional help and thanks to them there aren`t any bugs.
Hostwinds makes me feel confident that my website is in good (and reliable) hands!

jooz
10/4/17

Hostwinds offer really great services. I had been using their services for more than 3 months and was really happy with them.
Their VPS servers are offered for a cheap price. But the VPS servers work fast and are reliable. Servers respond fast, and ive never experienced down time. Features are very good and they increased everyone's bandwidth for free a while ago.
Highly recommend them.

nadined9
10/3/17

I have always received excellent tech support the few times I needed to call. By far this is the best hosting service I have used.

Questions? Get answers from the HostWinds staff and other customers.

HostWinds?