Review of HelloFresh

hello@hellofresh.com
2018 Customer choice award

judithc20
3/4/19

I tried Hello Fresh because, at 77 years old, I've been in a rut regarding meals for me and my husband, like if it's Sunday it's chicken, if it's Tuesday it's pork chops . . . Hello Fresh has gotten me out of the rut! I chose the basic plan for two people, with three meals a week, and there's plenty of food. Everything you need for each recipe is included except sometimes you have to use, say, a bit of olive oil from your own pantry that doesn't come with the kit. Anyway, the recipes have given me new ways to cook and use spices in ways I would never have thought of before, like dicing peeled sweet potatoes, tossing them in a bit of olive oil, sprinkling with thyme, and roasting them in the oven. Whatever the recipe, the result has always been delicious! It seems a bit expensive but then my husband (a retired math professor) calculated the time it takes and the gas used to drive to the grocery store, shop, drive home, and put everything away, and it turns out that when all of that is calculated that Hello Fresh actually costs less by an average of 85 cents per meal. Also, I love to cook, but here's a caveat for those who don't like to cook - Hello Fresh is most likely not for you.

roseannz
2/21/19

Hello Fresh is a service that delivers the ingredients for meals you select. They had a special price for 4 weeks, so I thought I would try it so my husband and I could cook together. Hahaha! He didn't get into it at all.
To explain how it works, a customer can choose the basic plan, a veggie plan or a family plan for however many meals a week you want for however many people you want to feed. I chose 2 meals a week for 2 people, and after the first week, it came up to about $27+ dollars a week, on the special. They send all the ingredients to your home, along with directions on exactly how to make each meal. Every meal was DELICIOUS.
I do NOT like to cook. It's time consuming and messy.
I ended up cancelling hellofresh because it was just too much work to make the meals.
However, their recipes gave me great ideas that I can simplify and use in the future.
And I have to say that all the deliveries came on time, even though i now live outside a small town in Wisconsin, and the winter here has been brutal!
I may sometime get back with HelloFresh and just order 2 meals for 2 people per month. They have very flexible plans. I maybe can handle complex meals twice a month.
But remember, i don't like to cook, and haven't done much cooking, so what's complicated for me may be simple for you.
It was easy to cancel, which I appreciated.
So I believe they are a good company, but it's just too much work for someone who hates to cook.

peterp337
1/30/19

I posted a simple question from their member portal and received a reply from Simone with a link back to a department it should have gone it. I replied asking for more information and received and answer from Thomas asking for more details. I them communicated 4 more times to a total of 6 different representatives before receiving zero answers. I them called and spoke to a floor supervisor who could not help because she is not from the email department. I am glad that I proved to be so entertaining to the email division off this serviceless company.

jilll100
1/16/19

I was notified of a shipment today from Hello Fresh and just spent 45 min on their chat and talking to a live person only to be told they WOULD NOT ISSUE A CREDIT because I had missed their deadline. Yes I missed it but only by 24 hours. I many things to do which does not include checking fine print to see if I've obeyed their rules. I have never heard of such hardnosed customer service policies

If you are considering using Hello Fresh DON'T. No matter how good their food may be their customer service policies are lousy

andread152
11/27/18

This is the third week in a row that my meal box has been on the delivery truck for at least two days before it eventually gets to me. I had requested Monday delivery and plan my meals and shopping around this. After two weeks of my food arriving on Wednesday (picked up from their warehouse on Monday but not delivered until Wednesday) the company said they had to change my delivery day to Tuesday. I am tracking my package online right now...it was again picked up on Monday...it's now Tuesday evening at 6:30pm and still no food.

This company is supposed to be all about convenience and "fresh"...they have missed big time on both!!

Would not recommend to anyone.

Andrea Derby

terryg146
11/3/18

First, I realized that once I committed to try this, the company has very clever software that really tricks you into accepting food you don't want. You really never receive a clear notice that "it is time to review your next order". It is buried subtly in promotional e-mails. And you have very little time to skip or change the order. My suggestion if you want to give it a try...CHECK YOUR ACCOUNT EVERY DAY TO SEE IF YOU HAVE A NEW ORDER TO REVIEW!!! You have to check frequently!!!
Second, the food is very uninspiring and of low quality. My last 3 meal shipment contained about 12 oz each of ground beef, chicken cutlets, and port loin (a few medallions) that I could buy in the store for about $15. The rest is just filler. Check vegetables closely. My asparagus, carrots, zucchini were old and wilted. I had to use fresh stuff that I had in the fridge. THe leafy vegetables were wilted and within 2 days of their expiration date when I received them. The menus themselves are uninspired and unimaginative. Heavy with chicken and ground beef...lots of Mexican recipes (if you want that as a regular fare, you may like this food). Very spicey. Two of our first 3 meals we both woke up in the middle of the nite with diarrhea and stomach cramps.

tammyw132
10/29/18

This company delivers an ok product. But be advised they will overcharge you, send meals after you cancel your account and offer you no Customer Service. I had a coupon for a free box up to $60.00 and they charged me over $20.00 after it had been shipped. They offer no assistance in handling discrepancies. Be advised you will need to change your credit card after you cancel you account because they will continue to bill you.

saskial
10/11/18

We have done hello fresh meals now for four weeks and we have found all the recipes delicious. It is is a bit expensive compared to our own meal planning and cooking, but each meal is a winner. It's not really a time saver for us. Although everything is there in the bag, the receipts are fairly complicated and lengthy after a tiring day of work. We have moved it to the weekends as a fun activity to do together and we make simpler meals during the week. Would recommend if you are looking to expand your cooking inspirations and make meal times exciting with delicious new recipes. Its not necessarily an easy quick fix for dinner time.

annam439
9/27/18

If you work and live in a hot place, don't get this! Their arrival time is a 12 hour window and is usually late. When it does arrive, the ice is melted. I have been dealing with food poisoning for the last 24 hours because of this! Stay away!!!!

yolanded2
9/18/18

I have tried several of the competitors (Blue Apron, Green Chef, Marley's Spoon, Sun basket etc) and Hello Fresh is by far the best. Their meal choices are great. I love that I can choose the meals that suit my families preferences. The quality is excellent and I also love that many recipies can be recreated at a later date by purchasing the ingredients myself. With other meal delivery companies they include premade sauces / mixed spices etc that you can never recreate.
I would highly recommend Hello Fresh. I also was given a discount code for $40 off
The code is RST2GR

peterp311
9/18/18

I was gifted a Hello Fresh package and found it to be brilliant. I'm not much of a cook and rarely have the ingredients to make special things. Hello fresh is great for someone like me who wants to eat well but can't cook or plan very well. Would 100% recommend.

laural342
9/18/18

This company is an absolute nightmare to work with! Do NOT sign up! I got signed up at the mall and was told that this was super flexible, etc. NOT TRUE! Instead, I got sent crap food anyway that I cannot eat due to having Lupus and the online chat moron only followed a script and had no clue how to fix it! Absolutely the most frustrating and inconvenient service I have ever encountered! I told them I wanted a refund since I haven't received anything and they refused! I am going to my bank to block this service! STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!

emilyj127
9/14/18

Small portions,uninspiring meals,way overpriced,carbon footprint on this service is huge!
I find it suspect that there are four and five star reviews.
This business won't be around long.save yourself the money and look up their mediocre recipes online and make them yourself for a fraction of the cost.
You get three small paper bags,after the introductory package it works out to roughly thirty dollars each,you will be kicking yourself that you got finagled for a second order!
Sorry to be a Debbie Downer all,but it is what it is.

nyomil
9/8/18

WORSE EXPERIENCE EVER!! WEBSITE MALFUNCTIONED AND CHARGED MY CARD!! WHEN I TRIED TO CALL THE PHONE LINE WAS DOWN. THEN I TRIED TALKING TO THE WEBSITE SUPPORT AND ALL THEY COULD DO WAS RETURN MY MONEY AFTER 7 BUSINESS DAYS!! WHEN I ASKED TO TALK TO A MANAGER THEY TOLD ME THERE WAS NOTHING THEY COULD DO!! I ABSOLUTELY AM PISSED!! DO NOT USE THIS SITE AND IF YOU DO BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR CARD INFO!!

mollys68
9/5/18

I contacted Hello Fresh customer service via the online messaging feature because it was too late to call. I explained how I saw an email notifying me that a package was being delivered, but explained that I had not ordered this package and that the food was not selected by me. They told me it was too late to send it back.

I asked if they could do anything to help me because I thought I had pushed cancel for this period and I didn't choose this food and cannot eat these options. They said I had canceled the previous 12 weeks but after that it auto-renews to automatically select an order for me. I told them I didn't realize that is how it worked. I thought I was able to cancel all the future and just select when I wanted to make a shipment, but I misunderstood how the company works. When I did it before, I thought it was all in the red. I also did not get emails notifying me in advance that an order was upcoming. I only received an email the day before telling me the shipment was already on its way. I didn't feel that I had a chance to even try to cancel it.

They told me they couldn't do anything for me and I told them I don't think that is a good practice and if that is how the company works, taking money from the customer with no regard for their happiness with the product, I would like to cancel my subscription. Their response was to say goodbye and essentially "hang up" on our conversation.

Today, I called Hello Fresh customer service and spoke to a manager. They essentially did the same thing. The only difference was to cancel my subscription for me when I asked. Otherwise, they did nothing for me and gave me absolutely no incentive to stay on with their service. There is a lot of competition out there and many other services like this, and there is no way this company will last with service like this- I was shocked at the lack of care for my issue, especially because this is the first time I have had an issue. You could tell they just wanted to be off the phone and finished with the conversation, they were not worried at all that they lost a potentially long-paying customer.

elleb16
8/23/18

The risotto and other dish (can't remember the name) were nauseating. I'm not that picky. I found the ingredients to be incompatible with one another and the result was an amateurish, terrible tasting mess. It was also a lot of work chopping and cleaning vegetables so not a time saver.

jimw290
6/12/18

Canceled first time due to meats arriving with pin holes in packaging. Decided to give another try, well same thing occurred, called once and they assured me they would be doing an EXTRA QUALITY control check before sending out. To no surprise the very next package arrived with pin holes in the chicken package (always the chicken packages) canceled FOR GOOD THIS TIME.They show so little concern, wonder how many people have had this same issue. Hello Blue Apron.

lorir161
6/4/18

Hello fresh is an awful company to deal with. They bill you after you cancel and will not budge on refunding! I hate the customer service. They have none to speak of. Just horrible! Its a scam!!

haleyl18
5/31/18

I also had a 30$ coupon and it was not clear that it just automatically sent meals and billed after that. I spoke to customer service for 3 hours trying to get my money back for a second box that I did not want also the meals that were auto selected my family and I are unable to eat due to allergies. Basically 60$ just got tossed out of the window for 3 meals that are going in the trash. I was so excited to try this and I am extremely disappointed. Also the portions of meat sent with my first box were a joke I had to go buy more meat to go with it. Total waste of money.

ericas82
5/10/18

HelloFresh was double billing me or 5 weeks and when I brought it to their attention they apologized and said they would fix my account. This took 5 phone calls to accomplish this. I told them I wanted to cancel my account and yet I still received unsolicited calls about reopening the file and each time I told them I was not interested. Out of the blue, they informed me they sent a shipment. I called promptly and told them my subscription was cancelled. They said they had already charge the account and would not refund the fraudulent charge.I asked Amir, the customer service agent, multiple times to transfer me to his supervisor so I could get this resolved and he refused. They are a deceptive company who makes fraudulant changes on consumers credit cards. Watch OUT!

shawnah12
5/6/18

I absolutely love Hello Fresh! I have tried all the others including Plated (never delivered but said they did...twice), Marley Spoon (delivered late and spoiled) Dinnerly (same as Marley Spoon which makes sense when you realize they're the same company.) Blue Apron (No complaints) and Sun Basket (My other favorite) But Hello fresh comes out on top for so many reasons from dependable delivery to fresh ingredients, to fun recipes I can cook with my kids. Thank you for making my life easier!

lindseym66
5/5/18

As a busy family with 3 kids and two working parents hello fresh has been a game changer! The meals are quick and easy to prepare with healthy and fresh ingredients delivered right to your door. No more food waste or trying to figure out what to make. No more is the meal making responsibilities fall on me (mom) all of my kids rangin in age from 7, 10 &15 have cooked the meals successfully and to perfection. Not to mention my husband is finally cooking!! Its such a stress reliever to not be solely responsible. It takes the guess work out of mealtime and we actually all sit down together to enjoy the meal! Thank you hello fresh for the fantastic meals we now share with our family, not to mention the fantastic life skills my kids are learning!!

danielb106
4/23/18

I originally wrote a lengthy review and have decided to revise it. Pros: Convenient, ingredients are well prepared and packaged, portion sizes are good, a good introduction to cooking for the novice. Cons: The food is at least twice as expensive as store purchased, way too much packaging, you still have to cook it, the recipes are a bit bland and the process for cancelling your subscription is I believe intentionally a bit vague. How to decide: Do you have enough money to pay for the convenience. Remember, you will still have to go to the store.

Tip for consumers: Take some time to understand just what you are receiving and how much it costs.

tonib45
4/17/18

This was my first experience with meal kits. I was delighted with the packaging of the ingredients, and the freshness of most, with the exception of a few wilted salad greens, and the Mango which was too green to be usable. Fortunately I had a ripe Mango on hand to 'save the day". Plenty of delicious food for dinner, and it was FUN!

jorgens3
3/29/18

Easy, and convenient every time. I will keep trying for more. But for now I believe to recommend it for anyone looking for the best.

239 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

They really are not interested in customer service - they only want to sell, sell, sell - if you try to reason with them or to be reasonable, they do not listen and hide behind protocols or rehearsed scripts. Do not involve yourself with this company if you value either good food or your sanity!

By Rowena S.

They pay so low in this "entry level jobs" (CSR's) that they cannot find people to stay long enough, or care, or want to do a good job. The excuse will be "If we paid them more the service would cost more," yet they have acquired funding into the 200 million+ territory.

By C C.

So far I've never had anything that was of poor quality so I really can't answer that question.

By Judith C.

Hello, Yes, it's virtually impossible- my advice would be not to touch this company with a barge pole - they have shoddy service, mean products and simply appalling 'customer service'. Simply avoid at all costs!

By Rowena S.

Questions? Get answers from the HelloFresh staff and other customers.

HelloFresh?