Review of GMX

Wayne, PA 19087, US
legalnotice@gmx.com

rons338
4/12/19

I see that I'm not the only one they've blocked for no reason. I think my mistake was when I forwarded an email to three whole addresses while reporting a phishing incident. The form shown in the picture does not work. My emails to their support team have had no effect thus far, so I'm forced to change the email address associated with important accounts to make sure that I don't miss important messages. My pen pal will be sad to never receive a reply. GMX is excrement for this.

alexisp45
3/27/19

I think there's some tiers to email servers. At the top, there's stuff like Gmail that generally have a reputation for being fairly secure, and then there's some of the B-team servers like Outlook, Yahoo, etc. that aren't always the most secure sites or try to integrate weird features that don't add anything to the user experience.

The bottom tier would be stuff like GMX which are barely passable as throwaway accounts. I can see someone using GMX maybe if they wanted an email account to set up an account somewhere that they were only planning to use for a week or two.

While it takes less than a minute to sign up for a GMX account, there are certain benefits to having a backup email address ready for these accounts. Hell, there's even a reason why you'd want to have a phone number attached to your email address. But none of this matters here because GMX doesn't really give a $#*! about your account security.

au17
3/26/19

Banned me today for no reason. Seems their 'security' people have decided I have 'abused' the system. No explanation, no warning (about what?), no chance to recover pending messages, no chance to delete person information from existing mails. I do not operate a mailing list, I do not mail anyone who has not contacted me. I have used the service without a problem for several years. But today, out of the blue, no email. Beware, they can do it to you and it seems they do not have to provide a reason or proof. I am surprised that this is even legal in the UK/Europe. Please be warned. You cannot trust these people.

rogern117
3/21/19

This was an auxiliary e-mail account. For a few select people only. It was hardly used and never a group e-mailing was sent. For no reason my account was blocked and there is no recourse. All saved and sent e-mails are lost. This is bound to happen for no reason if you stay with GMX long enough.

marionf35
3/21/19

My account was blocked and I can't access my email anymore.
Tech support did not give any details and just decided to block me from accessing my account. I did not use this account for anything illegal. It was mostly used for business.
Do yourself a favor and use one of the big email providers like Yahoo or Gmail. It will save you a lot of headaches. This outfit is incompetent and unprofessional.

peterh603
3/21/19

GMX apparently blocked my e-mail account for "irregularities", and will do nothing to unblock it. Customer service is unresponsive, no assistance, no explanation. Lesson learned: Do not ever use GMX, avoid at all costs.

Tip for consumers: Do not use GMX, move your documents away from GMX as fast as possible.

billyl51
3/21/19

account blocked for no reason, stated due to irregular activity, contact customer support to regain access, contact, they say we asked our security department and they say your account is blocked forever and we will not recover it for you. This is my main email account, with all major website details linked to, all contact for my ebay business, NONSENSE, WHAT COMPANY BLOCKS YOUR EMAIL WITH NO REASON, NO MEANS TO RECOVER AND STATES THEY CANNOT TELL YOU WHY AND YOUR ACCOUNT IS BLOCKED FOREVER. MENTAL, HUGE HEADACHE FOR EVERYTHING NOW.

brunom76
3/21/19

From nothing my account was blocked , i ask the reason , arrived the answer ur account will continue blocked , no sense and ridiculous , i do not give any reason for this block . my business account

before you open account GMX careful they blocked without any reason , what happens to me loose all my email contacts from buyers can happens to all

AVOID GMX

hanks17
3/1/19

Awful, horrible site. Blocked my account for no reason. Thankfully that was just my spare account I used to register on forums and similar social media platforms. I'd never ever register on that site again even if they tried to pay me. Would give 0 stars if it was possible

robt116
3/1/19

I have been using GMX email for several years to run a support group. Mostly it worked fine but there were problems on the way such as drafts getting garbled. Now they have blocked my account for no explained reason. All enquiries are met with a plain refusal to explain themselves. So I am left unable to manage communications to my group. I presume this can happen at any time with them so don't build anything on GMX they is serious and needed on a day to day basis. In fact just avoid them and go elsewhere which is what I have to do.

epameinondasd
2/26/19

It's simple, no messed up interface, no clutter and fast. It has full support for IMAP and SMTP, so I have connected it to Thunderbird on my PC and to the IMAP client of my mobile phone. Also gives the ability of e-mail aliases, so I can use 3 addresses (or more I suppose) from one user name and mailbox.

lindseyd45
2/19/19

Just straight up stupid! I don't even know why I am wasting my time writing this review... ! Cannot log in because apparantly my gmx email does not exit. Well it did at one point! So wtf GMX??? And all I wanted to do was play my Facebook casino games on my new phone but now I can't even log into Facebook because my email log in address was through gmx! I was up to level 300 or more but now I have to start all over at level 1! What a bunch of crap...lol

peytonh14
2/1/19

the worst of the worst! You can't get your account information so if you forget your username or password you can forget about ever getting that back. Customer service is a JOKE!!!!!!! there's no possible way so if this is what you have for your social media accounts you can kiss those goodbye too! this is the worst not to mention if you arent checking your email every single day they close your account and there is no way for you to reopen it!

jacquelinev33
1/15/19

I have spent the last 40 hours begging and pleading with GMX to accept that an account scruffnrosie@gmx.com is mine. I can prove it I have an email at the above address in a Gmail account, but as they have almost ignored me I am loathe to send them any proof as their behaviour over 40 hours has done nothing to give me any hope that this would bring any reaction from them. When one hasn't slept for nigh-on sixty hours, and you have told them you are 75, plus being disabled. You have also begged, pleaded, cajoled, cursed, insulted and nothing stirs them, what hope does one have. At one poijnt they acknowledged the existence of such an account. then zilch, zero, nada,. I was offered an account name (take a close look) scruffnrosy@gmx.com I. am now of the opinion that my account scruffnrosie@gmx.com has been allocated to someone else.The account has 86 emails, plus photos, contacts, data, folders etc; two of the emails were sent to a contact of mine. What is one to think? Sent from my Gmail account... carolgatt2332@gmail.com on my Sony Android phone.

royb152
12/11/18

Searching has found no way of reporting fraudulent spam sent from and with the same rely address based gmx - zainabahassan0017@gmx.com

olivierg14
11/20/18

I have successfully created an account, but:
- getting SMTP to work is a pain.
- my account got locked quickly for an unknown reason.

I remember it used to be very easy to use, but nowadays, it seems it's not the case any more.

My need was to send notification messages with SMTP to one of my account;
I think I was not asking for too much...

After struggling for almost 2 days, I have switched to something which has worked in 5 minutes (a very famous and big email - and other - services provider).

gf61
11/5/18

I've been using this service for many years without real issue, but something changed this year. Now they block access for no valid reason, and customer service is both not truly responsive and ineffective if they bother to respond. After my complaint, I was suddenly "flagged" for spamming from my account, even though I had sent no emails between the complaint and their "response". I have never spammed anyone. This feels more like a retaliation for having the nerve to complain and not accept a standard form response.

adame82
11/2/18

1) Create an account

2) Send a single email through it, literally once

3) Login again - all good

4) Try to login for the 2nd time - account is blocked!

worst email provider ever.

johns3295
10/13/18

I found this website on some article, suggesting that you don't need to enter any mobile number or another e-mail account. I was impressed. I used this website for a few years, for situations where you need a temporary account (although I didn't misused this feature). I worked great, until a few months ago when one account I had recently made was blocked. But I was fine with that.
Now I made another account, for some important work. And within a day, the account was blocked due to "irregular activity". I contacted their support staff as recommended. But the account was not unlocked. They said they forwarded my request to unblock my account, to their security department, but the account can not be unblocked and they cannot provide any further information.
Really bad service. I better find some other email provider.

ashott
9/8/18

Dear GMX member, our system has detected irregular activity related to your account. As a precautionary measure, we have blocked your account.

WHAT THE F4CK IS THIS !!!!

gerimiahg
8/21/18

I registered a new email account just yesterday and within 24 hours found
myself locked out and presumably blocked, for no apparent reason! ... but, after
reading similar experiences of others on here I'm somewhat (ironically) relieved
to learn that I am not alone ... why outfits like GMX behave in such an
unnecessary, spiteful, vindictive manner is a mystery, but have to wonder if
it's their way of getting back at us for them losing the war! ... "I mentioned
it once, but think I got away with it" ;)

I've done with my brief contact
with incompetent GMX, already created a new email account with G Mail (not my
first choice) but, it'll do for now :)

concernedo1
8/3/18

I thought I was the only one. I realize this is free, but WTF? And after 3 to 4 years of using this email service. They give NO reason why they block people out and leave them with no recourse. Something is VERY unsavory here.

Just two days ago I was blocked from sending (still can receive) due to irregular activities and was told that I MUST change my PW. I have several aliases as well. I went to change it, but all that did was lock me OUT completely!!!

I then tried using another alias, said I forgot my password and was able to login strangely and the password retrieval worked ONCE. Aug 2nd and once again it happened. Another obscure email from security claiming I need to change my PW and that I will be blocked from sending any emails. I emailed these Leftist humps yesterday (using their contact form) with NO RESPONSE!! Today, strangely, I tried to recover my PW but instead of sending it to another acct like they did yesterday, it wants you to contact support - which is NON EXISTENT!! It's now day 3 and NONE of my emails work, no response from "support" and it doesn't recognize my email accounts as valid. I am infuriated.

BTW, this is owned by 1&1 the web company (Global @ssholes) - and if you haven't already noticed with their so called "news" they shove in your face daily - its HEAVILY Liberal Propaganda.

1&1 Mail & Media Inc.
701 Lee Road
Chesterbrook PA

Sadly, after about 3 years of this mail.com I must use another service and pay - switching to fastmail.com At least there are NO ads, no propaganda and no bullsh*t fake support and blocking me from using my own EMAIL!!!

Everyone needs to contact the PA Attorney General over this. Shutting customer email accounts down with no valid reason or logic, no password retrieval, nothing, zilch, nada.

Josh Shapiro

ronnelc1
7/27/18

I can't believe this always comes up in many top 10 lists of best email providers. They blocked my account for no reason. Not trustworthy!

aphroditieg
7/16/18

I am tired of frequenly having my account frequently being blocked by their totally insufficiently designed and operated security.
Their response:
I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this block has caused you. My response: Your staff needs to address my question. Les than 20 or hundreds. Years ago the Russians stole my husbands account and used it for mass mailings, shutting down the account. So yes advise please. GMX has that responsiblity. I will be reporting this failure to the internet etc.

Please note that your account was blocked by our security department due to unusual activity and triggered by some reports of spam being send from your account. As we mentioned in our last email, we are not able to provide you with more details due to security reasons.

In addition, please follow the recommendations below to avoid that your emails get recognized as spam:
- Send the email directly and do not forward it Are you referring to Gmails forwarded by me from my g mail account to my gmx account. or e mails sent by my gmx account to the same g mail account? or something else.
- In your email, please include a longer hand-written paragraph as message
- Include a subject for the message
- In case you have set up a signature for all outgoing emails, please remove it from the footer of the message
- Also do not include links of pages that could be identified as suspicious to my response have no idea what could be suspicious
- Change the format to "text-only" by using the "More Actions" menu above the compose window

Thank you for your understanding! me: I don't understand most of this poor programing.

With kind regards,
Robert / GMX International Support

paulw255
7/11/18

The 'modus operandi' of this company is to block accounts without cause, justification or notice. If this happens to you, please be sure to email the Attorney-General in PA so that he can address your case accordingly. Save yourself the trouble of dealing with a company without any sort of integrity and find a viable alternative.

2 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

I completed the required documents on docu sign and completed the direct deposit information. Because companies or in other states and or country's. But I haven't heard anything back about a interview or if I got the job or when and where I start. I'm hoping that my identity is not stolen or sold. I am seriously thinking it is

By Anthony W.

If it was gxm, that is not gmx, so it may have been a phishing attempt. I would go to the real website and use the contact methods found there. I would be very suspicious about giving your password to anyone or using a login form reached via a link from an email, especially if the email or website doesn't look exactly right. Go to the site that you know is real and use that only.

By Ron S.

I just found out on Wikipedia that GMX (Germany based) is related ownership related to mail.com, of whom I have scathing criticism re business practices... just sayin'. ...keep digging for the truth !

By mike c.

Personal, I have had negative experience in reaching emails with gmx.us email extensions. I personally.Don't trust it. However, you will have to decide for yourself. I would use caution .

By Tulevu N.

There is an email app that you can download from Google Play called: "Mail.Ru - Mail" in which you can control unwanted email and email you have tried to unsubscribe from. It has a five star rating. I have not used it myself; however, others rate it well. I hope I've been some help.

By Tulevu N.

Questions? Get answers from the GMX staff and other customers.

2 Photos for GMX