Review of CrowdRise

Tel: +1.248.291.6897
quintas@crowdrise.com

patrickj109
1/26/19

I'm trying to do a fundraiser for Stand Up For Cancer, and I tried to contact Crowdrise support about an issue regarding the fact that their software doesn't work with smartphones, and their response was that it does.
Unfreakingreal.
Even Stevie Wonder can see that Crowdrise doesn't work.
Stay far away from Crowdrise!

Response from Quintas C., CrowdRise Representative
Hey Patrick,

Thanks for your feedback.

Our data shows that a large number of our users are mobile-based, so we can guarantee that our mobile platform is functional. Like any regular computer, mobile browsers occasionally need to be updated or have their cache cleared to ensure that everything runs smoothly.

I was able to locate your correspondence with our support team and it looks like there wasn't enough information provided to successfully troubleshoot the issue. If you'd like to continue working on that thread, we would be happy to help reach a resolution so your mobile browsing experience is the best it can possibly be.

We're standing by to help.

CrowdRise Customer Support
adrianab21
4/26/18

they refused to keep my organization on their profile just because I didn't send the 990 document when they have already had check the IRS which is the legal and appropriate way to check any tax status on anyone

lynnw84
4/23/18

I don't know what all the fuss is about. Crowdrise takes a 6% fee and the payment processor takes 2.9%. If you opt to pay a little extra so the nonprofit doesn't pay the fees from your donation (I did), the fees plus donation Is totaled up at checkout. It's impossible to miss. More importantly, the site is extremely easy to use and e-mail support is quick. It's kind of silly to expect a platform to not have some kind of fee attached to sustain operations/stay running.

sabrinar22
4/17/18

The customer service rep on here is just repeating the same babble on every comment about the fees - rhetoric meant to make it seem like an 'option' to pay these fees - however guess what? Their story is, either you pay them or the charity, so see you have options! /s. Do yourself a favor and send the charity a check, venmo, paypal, or zelle so that they are REALLY getting 100% of your donation.

jeffk118
11/22/17

I was shocked to see not only a 6% but also a 2.9% and a per transaction fee for all GivingTuesday donations.

Save your charity some money and give to them directly! This is WAY TOO HIGH!!

eriks62
10/6/17

Crowdrise has replaced decency (and common sense) with cutesy responses and an uber-friendly approach that is still b.s. What they are doing (and I can't understand the legality of this) is NOT telling you the exact fee you will be charged when you submit a donation. Instead, they feed on your general good intentions by asking if you'd like 100% of your donation to go where you want but then DON'T tell you what your actual bill will be. Slimy! When you ask about the fees, they give a pat answer about all platforms having fees and this great option they're giving you to have 100% go where you want, etc. But notice, they still don't explain WHY they didn't tell what the fee would be upfront, WHY the fees are so high and exactly WHERE each amount of your fee went. They just don't do that. Hmmm. Wonder why. They are very for profit. That's all fine if they're upfront about it, but they're not. Ultimately I'm sure they do good by helping get money out where it's needed (which is why I didn't give them a 1 star), but their tactics are see-through slimy, their fees purely for profit, and I'm really surprised so many people are just so okay with that tactic. REVEAL YOUR FEES AHEAD OF TIME, CROWDRISE! Simple.

Response from Quintas C., CrowdRise Representative
Hey Erik,

Thanks so much for your feedback.

Fees on CrowdRise are made up of a platform fee, plus a standard credit card processing fee. These help us keep our lights on, offer customer support, and provide charities with excellent services. The suggestion to show the breakdown of how the overall fees break down is a great one and we'll pass that along to our team.

Because we give donors the option to choose, every checkout page shows the Donation Amount and Fees itemized. The donor may choose to Edit the Fees line if they wish, so they can opt out of covering them for the charity. It's totally up to you if you'd like to pay or opt out and we're happy to help if there were any oversights which caused you to pay more than your intended donation amount.

Either way, your donation is a huge help to the cause you support, and providing the platform to share your enthusiasm for giving with your social network helps them even more.

murrayk11
8/25/17

They charged me $45 to make a $500 donation to a Children's Hospital. Absolutely disgusting. They should be investigated and have their tax standing pulled.Absolutely disgusting.

Response from Quintas C., CrowdRise Representative
Hey Murray,

Thanks for your comment and we can shed some light on this.

We offer fundraisers, charities, and events on CrowdRise a pricing structure that allows their donors to cover their processing fees so 100% of the donation goes to their cause. The $45 you're inquiring about represents the fees to get 100% of your donation to your cause. If you didn’t cover the fees, your charity would see 6% (CrowdRise fees) + 2.9% + $0.30 (credit card fees) less go to their cause.

All charitable platforms charge fees to fundraise on their site, plus standard credit card fees. CrowdRise is the only platform that has built functionality so the donors can cover those fees. Right now at least 93% of donors choose to cover the fees, which is pretty amazing. And, that means, on average, over 98% of funds raised go directly to the cause. That's less than credit card fees. So, while this may have been slightly confusing, please know that this pricing structure has been awesome for charities.

We offer donors the option to OPT OUT of fees during checkout. If you'd like to give it another try, opting to not cover the fees, you can email QUINTAS@CROWDRISE.COM with your transaction info so we can refund your original donation and you can place a new one making sure to edit the "fees" line to $0 before completing the transaction.

We really want to help and hope this explained everything. If you have any more questions, please let us know and we’ll be ready to dig in.

agathad2
8/22/17

I'm very unsure about how this works. I saw a story in our local paper about a new non-profit group trying to raise funds. Under this group's logo there are several other groups and individuals (several were from the same family!) I could not get a straight answer as to who was raising money for what, so I gave up. Is it accurate to say any individual (with or without the 501 c3 tax exempt status) could post a request and start asking for money? After these groups raise their individual sums of money, are they required to give it to the main group listed somewhere near the top? The fees being charged would seem to mean the family members would do better sticking together for one cause, right? I hope this makes sense enough to help me get some answers- but mostly, I hope it makes each and every donor read the fine print before giving to the charity of their choice. I worked for a non-profit agency and we did our own private fund-raising. The crowdwise type models would not have worked for us.

Response from Quintas C., CrowdRise Representative
Hey Agatha,

Thanks for the question.

I believe what you're referring to is our Team functionality.

All of those individuals were people raising money together for the same cause. On CrowdRise a person or charity can start a campaign with a single goal, and a single beneficiary. Then they can invite their friends and family to join them in working to achieve that goal. Each person who joins gets their own unique page and URL to share, but all of the funds add up toward the team's goal.

The funds from all of these teams are sent directly from the payment processor to the charity. No individual ever has to touch a single penny. So great.

On CrowdRise, folks can only start campaigns to benefit 501c3 charities registered with the IRS or Canadian government. In January we merged with GoFundMe, so now they handle all fundraising for individuals, or Personal Causes, as we like to call them.

If you have any additional questions you can always check out our FAQ or email us at Quintas@CrowdRise.com and we'll solve everything.

Thanks again.
lindsayd18
4/21/17

When I found out they charged almost 9% to give to the charity of my choice, I decided to send a check. I can understand a $2 to $5 processing fee, but this is disgusting especially since they are supposed to serve non-profits.

You can donate to most non profits through PayPal for a lot less money.

tonym164
3/31/17

My organisation used this service and have yet to receive check. its been two months, they route you through several different companies, such as Network for Good that sound great but don't deliver. I am now on hold waiting for 10+ minutes trying to speak with someone.

Response from Quintas C., CrowdRise Representative
Hey Tony,

Thanks so much for your feedback.

Network for Good, the payment processor for the charity, sends checks to the beneficiary on the 15th of each month for any funds raised in the previous month. The checks are sent to the address on file with the IRS.

If the address is out of date the check may not make it to the intended recipient. In that case, the charity would need to update their address and then request a check reissue from Network for Good at no cost.

Super sorry for any delay.

neilh49
1/7/17

Our grassroots nonprofit has been a big fan and a regular user of CrowdRise for 6 years. We participate in their annual fundraising challenges, plus we set up fundraisers throughout the year for specific needs, and our online donations go though CrowdRise.

The best thing about CrowdRise is the hands-on help. Ask a question, and they're on it. Have a problem with set-up? They'll walk you through it. Feedback is immediate and enthusiastic. They want you to meet your goal, and they have lots of great tips for making that happen.

Some reviewers complain about the fees. If you really want big expenses for raising money, try hiring a good development director! We can't do that, and neither can a lot of small, "impactful" nonprofits. CrowdRise is a bargain.

We'll stay with this fantastic group of can-do people. Fundraising can be a drag, especially if you don't have a clue about how to get started or how to follow through. It's a lot of work for your organization, and you do have to invest time and energy - but CrowdRise makes it fun as well as successful.

annetted26
12/30/16

It's comforting to know decent Humans still exist somewhere over the rainbow, not just with Care Bears in the sky.
CrowdRise makes giving back even more fulfilling and fun! I Imagine CrowdRise overall is pretty legit and I Bet My Life will never Quit platforming for amazing charities!

rachelm119
12/16/16

Is any companies' customer service team better or more efficient than Crowdrise's? Seems hard to believe. Response time is unbelievable, they always respond quickly, efficiently and with help for whatever your problem may be and never seem annoyed by the simplicity or complicated nature of your request. I've worked with a couple of the different fundraising platforms and always like working with this one the best!

less45
12/11/16

I was about to donate through them to a CNN Hero 2016 until I saw their fee was 8 1/2 % of the total. They should be ashamed. I'll donate directly instead.

zoes21
12/10/16

This company is all about giving back which is what is most important

mp104
11/29/16

I originally wrote a very poor review of crowdrise after I made a donation to Dogs on Deployment through their site. (Sorry about that, guys.) After discussing the situation with their staff, I was very pleased to find they did have a method of providing credit card donations to charities with minimal card fees involved. Perhaps there is a better way to communicate this on their site, but I found it took some explaining on their part and some additional understanding on my part to find the answers. So it may not be as simple as a highlighted statement on a web page. Be that as it may, crowdrise does have a process that sounds honorable and reasonable. You just have to get the background to understand it. Thanks to Max for the insight.

Response from Quintas C., CrowdRise Representative
Hey Mike,

Thanks for reaching out with your feedback. We just came across the email you just sent us about 90 minutes ago and replied. We gave you a full comprehensive explanation of our fee structure. And the main theme of the email was that the Charity that you donated to will not pay more than 3% in processing fees for the duration of their campaign (and that includes Credit Card Fees). Pretty awesome and it sounds like that's exactly what you were hoping for.

If you have any other questions or feedback, please feel free to reply to the email we just sent you, or write Quintas@CrowdRise.com. We're standing by to give you the best customer service in the world.

joshuab92
11/8/16

This was my first experience with running a fundraiser. CrowdRise made it so simple and fun, I can't even begin to tell you. But I shall try.

First of all, they don't take themselves too seriously. You can tell just by their tagline "If You Don't Give Back No One Will Like You." I really appreciated that, because most likely whatever you're raising money is inherently depressing (my cause was homelessness). They take the edge off by keeping you laughing with some of the best copy you'll ever read. And for me, a copywriter by trade (and quite jaded at that), to say that is a big deal.

Secondly, it was so. Friggin'. Easy to use. They say you'll have your fundraiser up and running in less than 42 seconds. Took me slightly longer than that to get all the pieces in place, but not much.

Lastly, they are personable. Anything I had a question about, they were quick to respond, and always friendly. In fact, I had asked them to place an additional information box in my donation section. They did it. Love them for that.

If you're looking for a fundraising site, look no further. CrowdRise.com is it.

crystall41
10/4/16

Crowdrise is the BEST online fundraising site there is. The staff is always so helpful and kind. They put the FUN into fundraising.

elizabethw112
10/4/16

The CrowdRise team has been a real partner to us in a successful fundraising appeal. They've met our frequent requests for assistance with good humor, fortitude and quick action. When we came up against a glitch with a third party, they hung in there with us through tough negotiations with respect and professionalism. They are a delight to work with and now a trusted partner.

gregi11
9/30/16

A $250 donation to a non-profit with a $25 fee to CrowdRise? I thought $3 to the ATM to get my cash was bad. Hope this isn't just going to increased CEO pay.

mm244
9/6/16

I wanted to send a donation to a charity, and crowdrise asked if I wanted to cover the fee so the donation receives 100% of the amount. The problem is they were asking 10%, while the charity told me their fee on crowdrise is 3%.

So where does the 7% goes? My guess crowdrise keeps it, which is probably legally fraud. I asked crowdrise to clarify and they just sent me an email saying their total fee with credit cards donations is about 10%.

eilingy
8/19/16

I understand that there's often a ~3% fee for credit card transactions (although I would like to hear that crowdrise has negotiated with credit card companies to reduce these fees for charitable donations), but where exactly is the additional 5-6% going? That seems like a very high fee for simply "processing" a donation. I'd like to see a clear explanation of what you guys are doing with your fees. People making donations on your side aren't doing it to enrich the middle man.

Response from Quintas C., CrowdRise Representative
Hey Eiling,

Thanks for the comment and I can definitely help explain all of our fee structure details for ya.

We offer fundraisers, charities and events on CrowdRise a pricing structure that allows their donors to cover their processing fees so 100% of the donation goes to their cause. The estimated 9% you're inquiring about represents the fees to get 100% of your donation to your cause. If you didn’t cover the fees, your fees would be 0% and your charity would see 5.9% (CrowdRise fees) + 2.9% + $0.30 (credit card fees) less go to their cause.

All charitable platforms charge fees to fundraise on their site plus standard credit card fees. CrowdRise is the ONLY platform that has built functionality so the donors can cover those fees. Right now 93% of donors choose to cover the fees, which is pretty amazing. And, that means, on average, over 98% of money raised is going directly to the cause. That's less than credit card fees. So, while this may have been slightly confusing, please know that this pricing structure is awesome for the benefiting causes and Charities.

We really want to help and hope this explained everything. If you have any more questions, please email us at Quintas@CrowdRise.com and we’ll be ready to dig in.

tashad3
8/16/16

CROWDRISE IS THE best PLATFORM FOR FUNDRAISING! Not only is it a great website, but it makes fundraising fun for all. Sometimes raising money can be tiresome and hard, even though you are doing good. This site makes it so much more worth it. Thank you crowdrise for creating an awesome platform for individuals to do good!

cc192
7/27/16

I have shopped soo many event/ fundraising platforms it feels like my actual job. Cowdrise turned out to be my fave bc outside of having the best all inclusive and descriptive name the service is the best for the fee scale. I've created two fundraisers and one event and though the event/registration fundraiser was little more difficult, the expedient service by Crowdrise made all the difference. Kelly L is off the charts with response time and turnaround time for edits/modifications! First they set up my event/registration just a few hours after our call and then post testing for the reg, a number of modifications were requested. Kelly, who I thought was only supposed to help set up our registration has been a main point of contact and replies to inquiries at lightning speed. Even after "business hours" good for me, but it makes me wonder how much they're all working over there. I felt like my event/fundraiser was one of only a few and even the only at times that Kelly was working on, but realistically I'm sure she's probably working on hundreds or possibly even more. Thanks so much Kelly L and crowdrise for keeping it simple and being the 1st supporters of any fundraiser. Love ya

Update 8.30.16
My fundraising event is over and during initial set-up I thought donor fees would be 3-5%. It wasn't until after that I learned they were being charged 10% from a donor who ended up making a donation offline. I realized that if we had chosen to cover the fees, we would not have covered more than the 5%, however i'm not sure it would have inspired people to donate more. Reconciling fees and donations was a bit confusing but the customer service was still amazing a helping clarify things and considering all the support provided from start to end and the platform i think they earned what we paid in fees,plus our donors. We raised enough money where we can look and likely purchase a our own CRM for future events, so it worked out as a starting platform.

Tip for consumers: If doing something through a Charity be sure to have the correct tax ID and if a national charity with local designated groups be sure to check if those groups have a separate tax ID. Otherwise all funds raised will have to go through the larger entity

corim1
7/26/16

I have had such a great experience with the customer service at Crowdrise. Kate was helpful, efficient and made everything work for me as I needed. The stress of running a crowdfunding campaign was defintely lifted. Thank you Kate!!

Hey Phil, Thanks so much for reaching out and that's an awesome question. Lue Ann and Debbie hit the nail right on the head. This $9.10 charge is completely optional and allows donors to ensure their individual donation has the absolute maximum impact possible. We'd love to chat about everything with ya' and help get you set up raising money super-fast. Just shoot me an email at Quintas@CrowdRise.Com and we'll dig right in. Wes

By Quintas C., CrowdRise Representative

Hey Cindy, Thanks for reaching out and great question. We have a couple of plans for Charity Accounts. The per transaction platform fee is 5.9% for the Tre ($50/month plan) and 6.8% for the Fiver (free plan) + credit card fees of 2.9%+$0.30. We give all your donors the option to cover those fees. If all your donors cover the fees, youll have cost-free fundraising. If your donors dont cover enough of the fees to deliver your guaranteed pricing (3% for Tre plan charities and 5% pricing for Fiver plan charities), we will cut the charity a check for the difference on a quarterly basis. Note that we exclude individual donations $1,000+, registration fees, and fundraising minimum makeup charges from the guarantee. So great and let us know if you have any other questions by emailing Quintas@CrowdRise.com or calling Customer Service at 248-291-6897. Thanks so much. Quintas Customer Service Person

By Quintas C., CrowdRise Representative
I was going to set up fundraiser for medical condition but am concern with the fee schedules. There are a number of reviews stating excessive fees - 3 examples but many more - Can you explain fees in simple terms 1. fee to donor 2. fee to fundraiser Fees exorbitant. 4/7/16 I committed some money to a very good cause (a child's dangerous heath condition) via this bad service , and paid a most obnoxious fee ($13.00) to make the donation. I had to commit as a matter of honor and duty to my family, but I find this sort of venture reprehensible. I am also struck by the irony, the only amusing aspect of this experience, of Ed Norton and his liberal sorts making a fortune off the group efforts, need, and pain of others with this incredibly capitalistic enterprise. Very misleading fee structure. 3/22/16 The fee structure that they advertise on their site is completely misleading. Everything that Richard has described below is still the case as of today, these fees have not changed as the Quintas representative below suggests and Sara is clearly a plant. Crowdrise claims that they "guarantee" a 3% or better fee for the use of their platform. However, this is NOT what they ACTUALLY charge. They charge a fee of almost 9% on every single donation transaction. The way they make their claim is that donors can choose to pay for that 9% fee themselves or place it back on the organizer. Of course, many people that are kind enough to donate are willing to pay a little extra so ON AVERAGE the organizer is only left with 3% or less in fees. Someone is still paying the exorbitant 9%. The worst part for me is that they pretend to be a philanthropic organization. I will forever avoid this website on principle alone for their false advertising and bait and switch approach. I suggest others do the same. I just discovered that not only do they charge the donor a 10% transaction fee, they charge the charity another 15% transaction fee, so they take a total of 25% which is excessive....

Hey Bonnie, Thanks for the email. Great question and we're here to help. A few months ago we launched functionality for the donor to cover all the processing fees and credit card fees so that 100% of donations go to the causes on CrowdRise. It sounds like you're raising money for a Personal Cause and collecting the funds your medical condition and we want to help you fight through that condition. As noted in our Terms of Use, the fee structure for this type of fundraiser is as follows: -The per transaction platform fee is 5.9% + credit card fees of 2.9%+$0.30 -We give all your donors the option to cover those fees. -If all your donors cover the fees, youll have cost-free fundraising. If your donors dont cover the fees so that youre getting 100% of the funds, email us at quintas@crowdrise.com and well cut you a check for the difference (our mean accountants said you need to cash the check within 90 days or it expires). As of last week the Effective Rate for all fundraisers on CrowdRise is 1.8%. Which means because of our structure of offering the donor the option of covering the fees, so many of them choose to do so that you'd receive about $98.20 of every $100 you raise. So great right? This should clear up any misconceptions of our pricing and if you have any other questions please email Quintas@CrowdRise.com and we'll be standing by ready to help. Quintas CrowdRise Customer Service Person.

By Quintas C., CrowdRise Representative

Hey Beth, Thanks so much for reaching out. We'd love the opportunity to help solve this for you, so if you could email us at Quintas@CrowdRise.com with the email address you used to make your donation, we'll dig in and explain everything. Feel free to send along any other questions as well, and we'll be happy to answer. Quintas CrowdRise Customer Service Person

By Quintas C., CrowdRise Representative

Hey Colleen, So glad that you asked. CrowdRise is the leading crowdfunding platform for marathon runners and we would love to host your campaign. We work with events and charities large and small. Chime in to our Customer Support team (nposupport@gofundme.com) with the name of the marathon you're running in and the charity you'd like to support so we can help get you set up. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

By Quintas C., CrowdRise Representative

Hey Wanda, Thanks for your question. You can start a campaign for the Hispanic Federation on CrowdRise here: https://www.crowdrise.com/hispanicfederationin Simply click the orange "Start a Campaign" button to get started. Don't forget to invite your network of supporters to join your team and Contact Us with any questions here: https://www.crowdrise.com/about/contact Thanks again and have the best day ever.

By Quintas C., CrowdRise Representative

Hey Boris, You can check out the response to Eric's review just below by clicking the blue "read more" link. To reiterate, fees on CrowdRise are made up of a platform fee, plus a standard credit card processing fee. These help us keep our lights on, offer customer support, and provide charities with excellent services. We give donors the option to choose, so every checkout screen shows the Donation Amount and Fees itemized before the donor submits their contribution. The donor may choose to Edit the Fees line to $0 if they wish, so they can opt out of covering them for the nonprofit. It's totally up to the donor if they would like to pay or opt out. We're happy to help if there were any oversights which caused someone to pay more than their intended donation amount. Please let us know if you have any additional questions at all and we'll be here to help.

By Quintas C., CrowdRise Representative

Hey Karen, Thanks so much for reaching out and I'm happy to help. Right now, CrowdRise is set up to benefit US-based 501c3 charities who have a valid EIN registered with the IRS. We also work with Canadian charities but that's a conversation for another day. By default, US charities receive donations from their payment processor, Network for Good, on a monthly basis via check. They may also opt to sign up for WePay to receive funds via direct deposit, where they offer more frequent transfer periods. For more information feel free to reach out to Quintas@CrowdRise.com and we'll talk through all of the details together. Talk to you soon. Quintas CrowdRise Customer Service Person

By Quintas C., CrowdRise Representative

Hey Nimish, Thanks so much for reaching out and I'm happy to help. We have a few different Hospital Humanity charities on CrowdRise and we want to make sure we're giving you the most accurate information possible. Can you email Quintas@Crowdrise.com and we'll dig in and make sure to locate the correct charity so we can answer you question completely correctly? If you have the EIN for the charity or the city and state where it is located, that will be so helpful. We keep our lights on and run the site and pay our bills by taking a small cut of the donations, usually around 5-6%, then there is a standard 2.9% + $0.30 credit card fee per transaction. Standing by to receive your email and answer all of your questions. Quintas, CrowdRise Customer Service Person

By Quintas C., CrowdRise Representative

Hey Paul, Thanks so much for reaching out. Right now, CrowdRise currently uses Network For Good and WePay to process all of our donations. NFG and WePay are awesome but we've gotten some similar feedback from other users and have already started looking into adding PayPal too. We love customer feedback like this and it really is what drives change around here. We can't say it'll happen anytime right away, but please know that we're definitely on it and we hope to get PayPal as an option sooner than later. Please let us know if you have any other questions or feedback for us. We're ready to help. Quintas CrowdRise Customer Service Person

By Quintas C., CrowdRise Representative
Questions? Get answers from the CrowdRise staff and other customers.

CrowdRise?