Review of KickStarter

New York, NY 10002, USA
Tel: 96682244657

chrisr272
12/15/17

I was a big Kickstarter supporter but now refuse to back anything. There are too many scammers and no support from Kickstarter for scammed backers. Stay far far away from anything Kickstarter.

draganb1
10/3/17

I was really impressed by a couple of german guys, who managed to fit a solar powered engine into a fidget spinner. The idea amused me so much, that i think, it is worth to be mentioned here. If you like, visit https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/195577569/youla-the-brand-new-solar-powered-spinner?
For myself, it is totally worth it, to get a kickstarter account and order some for my family. Enjoy!!

sharir12
7/22/17

I backed a project called Edible Cutlery that failed. I never received the goods promised or a refund. Kickstarter does not support the backers and offers no refunds for failed projects. I would stay far away.

philipl38
7/19/17

I realize it's not the fault of kickstarter but the last three project I backed have yet to deliver. One has shut down the website, the other 2 are now claiming ship dates well into the future. From now on I will just wait until I can buy the product outright.

barryc48
7/18/17

KS knowingly allow fraud to be committed on their site and flat out refuse to help backers.
DO NOT use the site for any reason. Regardless of how professional a project looks it's probably a scam.

bradn14
7/16/17

I literally hate them with every fiber of my being. Their website is ridiculously hard to navigate. I has been 1 hour and I havent been able to accomplish to simple task I came here for.

larryl24
7/4/17

I was a backer for the Trunskster which is a fraud. Kickstarter are no help and do not want to help. They are happy to take the money but do not want to vet the outfits. They are a part of it and should take up their act.

kv45
6/27/17

Literally the worst software product. The pledge made was for $499. Someone from the company emailed me today after less than 2 years that I needed to renew my subscription. A series of email was sent back and forth to which the company CEO, I presume, told me that they are shutting down the platform. This is after being backed for more than $30,000. I'm curious to know where the money went. They over promise and under deliver. Absolutely make sure you want to pledge money for something before doing it.

tinam137
6/9/17

I purchased an item for $73 last October and still waiting. Excuses about delays. Excuses about they sent it out and must have gotten lost. Keep asking for my address. One excuse after the other. Still waiting after they said they wete goinv to send put and asked for my address again.

joed149
5/24/17

I bought a Bakblade but they never sent it I contacted them but they gave me the run around total ripoff don't waste your money these people are thieves!

haroldh44
5/15/17

They provide quite a bit of protection to ensure creators get their money and even help defend against chargebacks while at the same time sending form letters to backers that complain that the creator has disappeared with the money. Great concept but terrible implementation. Too bad they don't release the funds to the creator based on performance in intervals rather than all up front. I have had a few creators just flat take the money and run.

peggyg20
5/10/17

Noria project; small a/c: bought four units a year ago. Paid $2500. Promised delivery date March of 2017. Got an email last week saying, 'we are on schedule to ship your products in October of 2017.'Totally disingenuous. A transparent business would have said something like, sorry, there has been a delay. The implicit lie in the email is what, more than the delay itself, has made me lose confidence in this 'start-up'. To that end I would like an honest discussion of what is going on, whether the a/c is no longer a viable project (in which case I will have central air installed for next year) or why there is a delay, f. Please be realistic and honest, not patronizing and vague and 'hopeful'. I sent an email asking the reason for the delay and have received no reply. I looked up Noria online and found that they are still selling the a/c's to 'investors' but for far less money than I have paid them. Please reply. It is common courtesy and a good business strategy.

orvalw8
4/16/17

I a have had one good and one okay experience and the rest were much worse. From late deliveries to out right scams claiming their finances were stolen, Kickstarter has gone down the toilet. Great idea if they could eep the criminals out, maybe someone could make that a project.

beng81
4/2/17

The service is a great idea and is full of outstanding projects people create! But as a rather experienced contributor I strongly recommend to think well before funding anything - expecially lately there are scam issues. Though these people with fake projects are easily detected, as for me.

billm196
3/29/17

My initial Kickstarter project contribution experience went well. However, my repeated requests for an update on my 2nd project contribution were met with silence, as we those from the film maker. I contributed to this project in good faith and am now being ignored. So, I will NEVER contribute to Kickstarter again.

kareno38
3/27/17

I see a lot of bad stories on here from the backer size but really that's a shame on the makers and not the platform itself. We were recently funded several months ago and came through on our promise to deliver for our backers. The Kickstarter support team was thorough in their vetting of our campaign and were pretty quick to respond to any questions or concerns we had. No real problems and we'll probably launch our next product with them again soon.

mow17
3/2/17

I had bad experiences trying to run a campaign (twice) on kickstarter. No customer service or way to contact them to ask questions. I mean there was no support at all. I tried creativejump.org and was assigned a personal consultant that worked with me throughout my campaign...even helped me promote. Where I barely raised $1000 with kickstarter I was successfully funded with Creative Jump.
Like most people I'm not a professional crowd funded and help setting page ass well as the ability to ask questions that get answered is more important that they imagine I guess. For that I'll never used kickstarter again I recommend creativejump.org

tedt21
2/27/17

I have backed three projects on Kickstarter in the past year, but will not do so again. The first project was well organized and progress was well communicated. For both the second and the third the creators had no business sense or understanding of expectation management.

You pay well upfront for the opportunity to be one of the first to receive the product. Well, if you are not in the United States that can be a real problem. I received one of the products last week after shipping was promised in September 2016. Actual shipping was at the end of November and the cheapest route was taken. Almost three months to ship a small package. The software is full of bugs and the creators are now asking for additional pledge to put in a feature that should have been included from the start.

The other project has been ongoing for quite some time too and I received notice today that it was finally shipping. Estimated shipping was November 2016 and the notice is that it will be shipped this week. Will not hold on to see how long it takes to arrive. This backer sent out updates, but again used those updates to solicit for other projects when they had not delivered on their first.

Mostly, the problem is non-response on the Kickstarter site or a very delayed response. The backers just do not seem to understand how important maintaining good communications is with the backers.

Also, Kickstarter serves as a flow through only. If the project is significantly delayed and you want a refund, that will not happen. Kickstarter plays no part in this aspect of customer service.

Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice shame on you Kickstarter.

stanleys47
2/16/17

I was dumb enough to participate in one Kickstarter funding venture. The company was GlobellColor producing a hardware/software screen calibration device for early supporters at $139.
They charged my VISA on 8-16-16, emailed a followup note that I would receive my product in November 2016. Never got any product or followup. Kickstarter refused any responsibility and other than filing a Federal Internet Fraud Complaint I am out $139. My advice is to block Kickstarter from you email site.

sams330
2/4/17

As you can see in the reviews, Kickstarter is nothing but fraud although I only lost $100 for the Lumen - Eternal Flashlight, lots lost more and total scam could be in the hundreds of millions or billions. Not sure why the FTC is not cracking down on this company. There is no repercussion if the company ends up being fraud. I would say if you want lots of money fast and get rich quick use this site and take peoples money for paying for "unbelievable technology"

danec16
1/24/17

Similar to Kriss V, (above) I paid $159 for 4 facecradles and never received them even after updates that the product was going to ship and arrive around Xmas....that was their most recent update. A couple weeks ago I contacted Kickstarter via email asking for assistance. They replied with a type of "form letter" that only advocated the company and their services. It was worthless to the issue I wanted help on. I then replied asking for the contact info for Hairy Turtle Pty...they never replied. I'M NOT LETTING THIS SITUATION DROP.

lucast11
1/13/17

The site is full of interesting projects but there are also many fraudulent ones so take your time to search for the interesting ones that can be trusted or care to fund those you trust 100%. Thats all

hishama1
12/15/16

They recieved money and didnt ship it since october
No customer service
Dont let them decieve you

robertd260
12/10/16

Has loads of interesting projects but be very careful on sending money somewhere - a good thorough research is my advice.

brianr131
12/1/16

Kickstarter would get more cred from me if they would refund us their 3 or whatever they made on projects that are faf (fake as F&$*)

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Kickstarter takes NO responsibility when a participant doesn't deliver on their promise. I think this happens all of the time. Kickstarter's response is "read our rules - we are not responsible." They do NOTHING. They don't get involved even to the extent of urging the participant to follow through, publishing the names of bad participants etc. I think if Kickstarter took a more active role in pursuing the participants who just "take the money and run" or at least actively publicizing the names of those participants, people might be less likely to renege on their promises. Instead, there are no consequences whatsoever to the participants who just do not deliver. The guy I foolishly gave money to, Scott Crider, was just putting together a book of photographs that the "investors" sent him. What could be easier? He wasn't inventing anything or manufacturing anything etc. He just spent the money and delivered nothing. Kickstarter's response to all of the complaints was "read our rules; we are not responsible." Never again.

By L W.

Avoid them like the plague. In theory, kickstarter and indiegogo seem like a great idea but if you think about what is actually transpiring, you're better off creating your own website for your particular project.

By Jimmy B.

Investors beware. I've had one good experience with Kickstarter with Exploding Kittens game, but another fairly poor one. I've learned to research the Creator before pledging my money because there is no buyer protection and you're at the mercy of the competence and integrity of the Creator.

By Sascha H.

I don't know about the life planner but the way kickstarter works is you give them your money then wait for them to make the product and send it to you. If they fail (for whatever reason) you don't get your money back. The project I supported raised 2.3 million and a year and half later one of the partners left the country and everyone got screwed. I say save your money and see if the company comes thru. If they do you'll be able to buy whatever it is once they are established. Jus sayin!

By Yvette P.

Questions? Get answers from the KickStarter staff and other customers.

KickStarter?