Craigslist, Inc. reviews

2018 Customer choice award

64 reviews with 4 stars

thatg14
7/29/19
I don't know why there are so many bad reviews for Craigslist. I've used it for years and years, and I made a bunch of money and bought a bunch of really cool stuff for low dollar.
I haven't read all the reviews, but if you're getting ripped off for sending money, or accepting cashier's checks or any other type of payment other than currency you're a freaking moron. Most of the bad comments I read we're bad due to the ineptitude of the customer. If you think I'm full of crap, try using OfferUp or let-go. Unbelievably bad everything. Sure Craigslist has issues, but like I said, I've been doing this for years, and I have never had a serious problem. Stay away from letgo and especially, especially offerup.
the only reason I gave this review a four-star and not five, is because they're charging $5 to advertise a vehicle. I have sold, and purchased at least a dozen vehicles in the last six or seven years. Due to all the scams and rip-offs out there, you must watch your azz. You can't expect a company that does this volume of business to make sure YOU don't do something stupid.
leet102
8/1/18
Francois Wood was amazing! Easy to find. Even worked with us after sale to make sure we were satisfied.
tifffanyl
6/28/18
My experience with Craigslist have been good. I was able to sell a few quality items. And there are legit buyers out there willing to pay but you just have to know how to weed out the scams. Some are so obvious that it's hard to believe people fall for them. Scams are going to come from any site that is free. If you are a very trusting person then don't deal with anyone on craigslist. Don't give interested buyers or sellers your phone number right away. Communicate via email thru craigslist. I went as far as creating an email soley dedicated to craigslist buyers/sellers communication once a date & time of transaction is set. DON'T BE A SUCKER!!
chrisd425
6/6/18
Bought 2 pairs of cross-country skiis and a bag for under $35. Met the couple in a public place and they met me halfway. I think it was a great experience for the sellers aswell.
jeffersonl11
1/11/18
This site is easy to navigate plus it is where I am earning from the products I am selling. Thanks to this company I highly recommend this company to everyone.
kishorep3
12/14/17
VB Engineering provides services like Arc Flash Study Consultants, Osha Arc Flash Standards, NFPA Compliant 70e Arc Flash Warning Labels.

Tip for consumers: http://www.arcflashstudyconsultants.com/osha-nfpa-arc-flash-study-requirements.html

gabel15
7/8/17
i have sold countless bicycles, sporting goods ... there are genuine buyers out there , but they are all local of course, if out of state no's -Beware !! I'm in ATL btw .
-Now if you get that 2 in a row - 30 minutes apart text messages where someone wants to know if your "Art" item is still for sale and "what You low last price ? " on it...yeah them's are scumbag scammers ,
-but Craig's List is not at fault here ...is just a fact of life that Scumbags are people
too, with smartphones !!
christea1
6/11/17
First of we were excited renting this house because it is so private and close to everything,but there's only one problem it was the landlord. This man is a big fat liers, b4 we move in he said he would never bother us but then everytime we go outside here's comes Wayne the landlord with his riding go kart in our house, the bad thing is he uses binoculars to stack us and that's not it, my husband called him to fixed our steps outside front doors, my husband went to the store for couple hours then Wayne the landlord came to house without our 24hours notice then he was walking around the house for hours and he never did fixed the steps. We always pay the rent on time except for the last 3 months we were late for a week cause it was a rough months we have. Rent was $800 a month for a year then $850 a month after that and never let him put the water in his name cause he's just gonna use that to come to the house in and out the driveway to be nosey. And if u all rent this house make sure u check everything and take picture of it specially the bathroom and kitchen because when u moved out he will try to used ur deposit money to fixed his house that's already broken or damaged. My husband already called a cops on him cause we were in the process of moving out b4 the 6th of the month and he was banging on the door and says let me in without 24 hour notice but the cops was on his ass telling him he was an idiot.Anyways, we have proved pictures on him sitting in our driveway,videos and all.
ricka50
3/1/17
On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 6:13 PM, Joseph S. <*****@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for the response. This is to bring to your notice that you have been chosen and considered for this job position. We are offering you $20 per hour and your working days and hours is 8:00 - 4:00 ( 8hrs a day ) from Monday through Friday ( 5 days a week ). You will receive a week upfront payment as well as some money to move the van (2015 Ford Van) over. Please be informed that You'll receive a Check which covers your upfront payment and the balance would go to the Mover's agency for the Van delivery. I want to make sure you are okay with that. The Job starts 3/13/2017 because right at the moment my Mom is currently in Oklahoma for a funeral service. I'll always keep you updated and I'd like you to check your email at least twice a day ( Morning & Afternoon ) for updates and your prompt response will be appreciated. I 'll come over to the state probably next weekend because I would really love to meet you as well and I believe in your interest to work for us and I do promise to satisfy your needs. In order for your weekly pay to be processed, you MUST have an active bank account and I'm asking you now "Do you have an active bank account" ?
Awaiting Your Response

Regards,
Joseph S.
artr12
8/20/16
I have used craigslist.org for many years and with pretty good success. (Since they offer the most comprehensive listings and depth of listings of any similar service). They also seem to be pretty pro-active about warning people of possible scams and they seem to be able to keep your email private with their masked system of email replies.

What I wanted to mention specifically was that when I recently listed some furniture items for sale, I got back a text within 5 minutes, almost immediately after I made the listing.

The text had my listing title with, "still up for sale?" amended to it, and when I replied, they came back with,
"okay...I'll be paying with a cashiers check and wait till it clears your bank before pickup is scheduled. Thanks Alex"

I was born at night, but not last night, and I smelled a rat. But I replied- "sure".

Then they said, "kindly send me your name and address so that I can issue out the check for you"
Needless to say I cannot imagine any buyer in their right mind willing to buy something sight unseen, and before discussing any specifics, offering to send you money. Obviously a complete scam. But the point is the crooks are becoming much more sophisticated if they can create some algorithm or software which can pick up a new listing, send off a text to respond to it with their bogus offer, and harvest names and addresses for some yet undefined but assuredly devious purpose.
Actually, I am pretty envious. I wish I was smart enough to do that. Not really. I hope they reap what they sow. We all have to look out for each other if we want a decent world.

Tip for consumers: So craigslist is still good, but watch out for the scammers.

alexh143
7/28/16
Plenty of people looking to conduct fake deals in order to rob you. Please always keep this in consideration. Otherwise this is a great tool for a modern world.
jessw24
1/1/16
I've been using CL for what, 10 years now? I've tried online sites like Ebay and Amazon and yeah, while sometime it's just faster being able to sell something (especially something niche) to a country-wide pool of potential customers rather than just who happens to be on CL, in your local area, and actually want what you're selling, it's still much better to sell on CL and not have to deal with the shipping side (and forget anything too big).

Once you get a customer interested it's usually a fast process from there. They come over (or you deliver it if you offer that), they check it out for a few minutes, then hand you your cash. (Same if you're buying something except reversed.) Of course I've gotten plenty of bad and just plain inconsiderate people on CL but overall it's very worth it.

Not to mention all of the other services you can get on CL and live animal adoptions (I've adopted a dog, a snake, fish, and a couple rats off CL) that you just can't get on places like Ebay.

About the site itself...they've made a lot of changes to the site (not so much the look but the function) and they keep making them. I like some of the changes but to be honest most of the changes just plain suck and have me yearning for the "good old CL".

Oh, but if you live in the middle of nowhere...you're screwed. Go to Amazon.
patricka32
12/1/15
Wow! You would think from reading the reviews that we are dealing with the Great Satan here! Yes, there are some ripoffs on Craigslist that you have to dodge around sometimes (or just ignore). But I have- over the years- sold over 10 unneeded items on Craigslist and it has generally worked well. I haven't been ripped off yet and- trust me- I have no special skills or street smarts.

How about garage sales for you haters?
richl13
8/7/15
I am always hearing about don't use CraigsList because you will get ripped off. Well I have used them for over 10 years for a variety of things and I have had basically no problems. If you are buying and selling, just be careful. There are a lot of scammers but you can sniff them out a mile a way. Remember, it its to good to be true, it probably is.
glittermep
6/22/15
Nothing against craigslist - but JENN and her "fiance" whom was supposedly sick and out of work but yet he was always gone when I tried to talk to her to meet - over a months time built up trust to essentially trade my valued and emotionally created coin collection for a FAKE gold buffalo $50 piece. I asked them to just give it back - no questions asked - she has yet to respond - shocker. Watch your back for the sheriff and local PD JENN!!!! Tulsa, Broken Arrow, Grand Lake, Colcord etc etc beware of JENN AND JC (JT - whatever)!!!!!!
terris10
5/13/15
I've sold about 50 items in the last 2 years and bought a handful of items. I don't use e-mail as I get so many and prefer they text me. Most of the items were large and one or two men came to my home and bought. I never had any no shows or negative experiences.

I decided to sell a very expensive ring and buyer lived in California. He acted concerned it was real and asked questions I thought appropriate. Then he was all of the sudden in a rush to get ring. He wanted me to use FedEx never use as then you can't file mail fraud. I work 3rd shift 12 hours and dental work going on and this guy kept texting me every few hours did I send it did fed ex pick it up. My husband has cancer and I had his check his email for payment verification and he saw one from PayPal stating $3,000 is in account and will be released to my account upon tracking confirmation . But my husband didn't actualy go into our PayPal account. Fed ex had picked up ring and I got a bad feeling. Called PayPal and sure enough no money was on hold in our account. I made a local police report so I could have police in California go to address. I had some hope as it was a condo so the manager may have leads to him. Well the man had my ring and police took picture of it. The man got the police to believe I was scamming him. WHAT? So they told man to mail ring back to me. Local Police came to my house after supper and I was at work so they wouldn't tell him anything but I needed to come to station tomorrow night. I go and they start interigating me on do these chat sights look familiar and who is my friend Joel that isn't a person but man who had my ring told police Joel was calling him wanting the ring and I was working with him on this scam. The stupid police bought story I'm like what did I scam possibly not getting paid for ring and $75 fed ex overnight charge. The police said California cop said it looked cheap. I said why didn't they take ring instead of telling him to mail back. They said he didn't do any crime. Well making a fake and according to PayPal a very good near original email saying he paid and I gave police copy's of his and pay pals. Luckily I think he was the middle man and I did get ring mailed back. I took it next day to a jewelry who is friends with my towns Cheif of police and he was impressed with the quality of it and told him they were real diamonds and platinum . I've left 6 messages with Barney fife and his officer no call back and they aren't letting me get police report.

Bad enough I almost got scammed even worse when the police think your the bad guy even though I had proof and his was just a story out of his mouth.

So don't just see paypal email go into your account as they looked identical to me. Only thing different is paypal uses email spoof.com and his had spoov.com
robertd110
3/6/15
This is the best website. I think this is the most popular website for all category. I use craigslist many time. But now a days many people are scam here.
teresat12
1/12/15
Because of Craigslist I have a decent ongoing business and making a good living. I've never had any complaints, no really! They aren't perfect- but what is? I wish they could enable hyperlinks to your business website, for instance.

Tip for consumers: Persevere with Craigslist- in the end it's worth it. You get what you put into the ads you post. Be as professional as you can be when you place your ads. And it make Kijiji look like a bunch of slow, deficient amateurs. Yeah, Craigs is the best. No pockets were lined for this good review!

pauln42
11/26/14
Great work, usually use this site. Here you'll find anything you want! Well, sometimes on dating you'll see a lot of nude pics. Not, I lie, you'll see them always. But if you're searching something else - site will help you
So I think it's cool
tabithah1
10/10/14
I usually surf this site 1-2 times a week just to see what's out there. At 1 time I furnished my whole 1st apartment from here. Now I own a home so they really come in handy now.

I got a Vizio 52 inch flat screen tv for $300, you cant beat that at Walmart. It's just a great place to find stuff, even free stuff like hangers, desk and stuff like that.

Tip for consumers: Never take the 1st price. Seller are typically always willing to negotiate.

kentm10
8/30/14
Free ads - yeah right - but too much restriction make the advertiser feling agitated most of the time
samt26
5/3/14
I always use craigslist it is like a big online garage sale, love it!
lilliyak
4/1/14
This is a great free advertisement service. I use it to find potential clients and to post ads. It works good for me. For users is nice, that you can create ad without using your personal information. You will be contacted only with Craigslist email service. It helps to avoid spam. Great find.
kathleenr6
3/5/14
I'm pretty happy with CL. I've only run into one scammer, and it actually turned out to be the person who stole my uncle's scooter (so we actually ended up getting it back).

I mostly stick in the free section, and I've found tons of hidden gems among the items that most of the people are practically throwing away. I found an almost brand new desk, a great bookshelf, and tons of books.

We got evicted and had to move a few months ago, and in the few months of living in our new house I've completely refurnished my new room with stuff in great condition from Craigslist. I really like this site.
ryanh52
3/3/14
Craigslist is AMAZING when it comes to finding last second tickets to phenomenal concerts and things of that nature. You are putting trust into humanity when working with Craigslist, though. I have heard stories of individuals going to pick up what was advertised and they were mugged or worse, but these are few and far between. I have had great encounters with people, and have been able to get some amazing things along the way!

No, and DO NOT talk to the forum...trolls just waiting to attack anyone who is frustrated.

By Sebastion L.

All you can really do isjust "flag" the ad when you click on it. It gives you the ability to delete the posting. Nothing more. Craigslist gives no way's to post negative reviews. Unless you take the ad posting and info and post your own ad as the negative outcome or info. to pass on your experience. Lots of others are doing it as scam alerts or fraud alerts. Only remember that if you do, then the person whom your referring to also can "flag" your posting also.

By mike m.

I have posted many adds with craigslist my house, furniture and pets in the past. I am trying to post an dog now that showed up on here on the 4th of July. But all my adds get deleted use to love craigslist now I hate Craigslist. Big waste of my time every add I post gets deleted if I will selling cocaine I can understand craigslist use a funking little common sence. Don't call the customer service number thank you for calling Craigslist but there is no one here to help you. I have posted last add with Craiglist longer customer.

By sabre c.

In order to list items I first take the best pictures I can and take quite a few as you can post alot on listing. Then depending on item I'm listing I get dementions any and as much as I can. Now you need to create an account on Craigslist and no they change nothing for you to list or take a percentage of item sold unlike ebay. When you create your account you do have to provide a valid email but they only give it out if you check the box when posting that they can, Craigslist prefers you don't give out your own. They will make an email for you item and then forward it to you when someone inquires. When I checked emails regulary I would have them give my email out and had no problems until I had a box of misc items and then I received alot of sexual messages, so I never use my personal one anymore . I due have people text me ( there is a box you can mark if you'd prefer that method of contact) working the hours I do I've always used it since that option came out. I've never had any problems with a buyer calling or texting me. I've sold alot of items some were the same item just reposted it when I got more to sell. And I've always had people come to my house and never had any problems I did have one no show. 1) set up account it works for all the different areas. 2) It been along time but I believe they send you an email to verify it's valid 3) find area I want to post in Delaware, Milwaukee ect and if it's a large city you'll need to deside which area is closest to you 4) go to area you picked say Eastern Shore get on main page I mostly use smart phone top left is a menu touch it and you want to go to my account ( make sure if they sent verification email you verified it) 5) sign into your account I believe it gives you obtions of sell an item or my account, go to sell an item it will ask if you're the owner or I believe other is for mass selling. Then pick best category if it's a lawnmower go to garden ect. Now your making post it will give you options of default email which they recomend or the obtion of having them call or text you. Then you'll need to come up with a short popping post of course put in what your selling and any words that make it seem it's the best. Then give as much info as you can about item selling and make sure to be honest about it. There's an area that asks you who's manufacturer what's it's condition I usually skip that as it's in item description but it could help to sell it. Then theres a map so people know around where you are if you don't want them coming to your house put in zipcode of a town by you. Then it will have you upload pictures. Make sure the best one is uploaded first as that's the one that people see by your post and add the rest of pictures. Also at the beginning it will ask for a dollar amount for item. When pictures are done loading hit publish. Sometimes they send an email verifying post, but they will inform you they are. If they do make sure to go to email and verify it as item won't post till you do. Post will automatically delete after a month to 45 days it comes inactive first so you have option of reposting it. If you want to delete or modify posting sign into craiglist account and touch on my account and all your active and inactive posts are there touch on either delete post or edit. It's very simple and easy to do if you forget to fill in say asking price when you go to publish post it will tell you you something wasnt filled in. I know the government was trying to pass a law that we have to pay taxes on what we sell but I haven't done much selling on eBay or craiglist so I haven't checked if it passed It sounded like it wasn't going to. Hope this helps I am computer dumb and can post on here so most people should have no problems. Terri

By Terri S.

If you want support, go to a real site. Nothing but trolls at CL who prey on anyone asking for help in the forum.

By Sebastion L.

just set up another email account and your back on

By marla l.

Questions? Get answers from the Craigslist, Inc. staff and other customers.

16 Photos for Craigslist, Inc.

Craigslist, Inc.?