Craigslist, Inc. reviews

2018 Customer choice award

38 reviews with 3 stars

staro1
8/4/19
Beware of craisglist , there so many fake seller there who will offer you fake things but luckily i was able to recover back all I lose in craiglist . please beware, if anyone has similar issue
johnd2440
7/30/19
scammers, they stole my money, I called severally they didn't pick my calls and I sent them messages through email forty times they never respondedI paid about $2500.00 for house rent to the owner, just to find out it all a scam. I was lucky to recover it back through an agent I met through a friend, I got back $1000.00 out of my money, he promised to help with the balance. so if you are a victim like me, message him through this email( admin AT dellj4001ATgmailDOTcom )
lisam1000
4/29/19
I changed my 1 star to a 3
5 would be perfect or close to in my eyes.

I have some issues with this van and so on..
But the owners did buy back the van .
For that we are greatful to have that taken care of.

I know first hand how hard it is to have a business and hope the best for this family owned business .

Best wishes~

Tip for consumers: WILL NOT SHOP AT WOMACK AUTO SALES IN NORMAN OK EVER.

brandonm98
11/15/18
I've used CL to buy and sell plenty of items at this point. Most people are very flaky, a moderate amount people are decently dependable, and a select few know how make smooth exchanges of goods online. Kind of just the way she roles, but it would be nice if people were taking it more seriously rather than just window shop a lot of the time.

I've browsed for houses to rent a few times and it never seems to work out. Could just be my area though... Housing is tight.
It's important to note that there's a small amount of scams in the housing section*

I've used this website to look for jobs as well and a lot of posts seem to be written without much information or just unprofessionally. The ones that look and sound more professional / informative and articulate are the ones worth looking into of course. And are usually the ones that will get back to you. However, I would recommend using a website like Glassdoor or Indeed for job searches.

Overall, I would say it can be useful. But most of the time it's not.
danap85
7/17/18
This corporation is committing acts of Copyright, Trademark and Servicemark Infringement. They are also censoring individual political commentary directly. They ban individuals from posting ads despite declaring it open to those who do not violate Terms of Service. When they steal your time, edit your posts which do not violate the TOS, then service your credit card and force refunds, processing fees, depletion of your business credit, etc. they are doing this with the intention of stopping work against their declared policies.

Whatever happened to CL it has become an institution of deception, fraud, unscrupulous business practices and it is in violation of Anti-Trust Laws since it is favoring competition selectively.
mitchd16
6/12/18
I cannot get any answers from anyone at Craigslist why they continue to remove my legal & ethical ads, an ad I've used for three plus years that is suddenly being removed without explanation. Poor business practice on their part. Equally frustrating, no one to contact at their home office for help. Again, poor business practice
aubreyk13
7/16/17
Craigslist is a very good place to shop BUTTTT u sure
gotta watch all the time about all the scammers on there,I have listed a item for say $250.00 and immediately I have lowlife scammers try to get me to accept their check or they will have their truck come by and pick up item, I sometimes want to tell them what they can do with their offer; another thing ,I understand Craigslist cannot possibly monitor every thing posted there. I think there are a lot of honest people that use this service to buy and sell there.I will continue to shop there but being very careful. thank's Aubrey
georghea
5/31/17
I've been using Craigslist time to time but one thing annoys me for a while: Its layout! Guys, we are in 2017; can't u make it more user friendly huh?
danielh155
1/12/17
I assume this one can be positive or negative depending on how lucky you are... Unfortunately the feature that many businesses nowadays have ;(
marilynb42
7/1/16
Everyday i must start all over saving apartment rentals... It did not begin this way.
edwardc60
2/4/16
with a grain of salt (or several grains) I like craigs list - has helped me sell much stuff. However they make no effort to keep scams (esp the ones that offer ways to make money) off. many scams are obvious to the ones of us who have been around, however some are well baited - - beware
joannet12
1/25/16
Craigslist used to be a good place to buy and sell. I now prefer Facebook marketplace as you have a better idea who you are dealing with.
oliviaw12
1/5/16
Rented a room on mission village drive in San Diego from a guy named George. He wanted $750 a month, which seemed like a good deal for the size of the room. However, in a very short time I realized the house was horrible. Breaker would go out if I used a tiny little space heater (about size of a small toaster) because the heat was never on and the house was freezing. Kitchen was disgusting, had cockroaches, sink didn't work and there was grease stains everywhere. He tried to complain about me making noise because I was sick (literally can't control that). When he has over 25 birds in his garage that make noise all the time. I could go on and on, but overall horrible place to live.
justint42
1,135 helpful votes
12/28/15
Watch out for scammers. Never, NEVER send money to anybody using Western Union.
peterl99
10/29/15
Problem is that you find many scammers and fakers on Craigslist.com. Well, same problem in "real life" but still it is not really a safe place. Concept is great, however.The fact that Craigslist has been around forever is also a big plus.
josephr55
6/9/15
I do use this site and have made some sales on it. But I did hear some pretty disturbing things that did happen on the site such as murders, scams, theft, and other messed up situations. I never had anything like this happen to me though luckily, but if you do make a deal or perform any kind of business. Take some safety tips which should be obvious.

1. Never put your full address on the site to your home.

2. Type out phone number to home and cell so when you get a call you.

3. Better to be in an area with tons of people such as a restaurant or your home (But makes sure you are armed with either a knife, stungun, pepperspray, taser, or a firearm hidden just in-case,) Never trust anyone for all you know they may be there to rob or kill you so always be armed and prepared.

4. Let your family or friends know if you have someone coming over or going somewhere to do the transaction.

5. Only except cash or a safe transaction to make sure you don't get ripoff.

6.Remain always cautious and calm when meeting up with someone for a deal somewhere.

Also expect $#*!heads on there who will just message to troll or prank you on there.
andyc53
3/4/15
Ocala Craigslist is having major issues. I am having trouble reposting the ads I posted in February because I cannot find them on my account page. Draft ads keep disappearing for my draft list after 24 hours and the date when some ads were posted keeps changing back and forth.
brianc17
2/9/15
When using this site familiarize yourself and follow the guidelines posted here to avoid scams. http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams
brandonb45
12/31/14
I've had my ups and downs more of a mutual agreement on it. I've bought and sold cars and other equipment. Selling is a lot harder then it seems if you sell something that's lets say 50$ lower then retail people will still try to talk you down even if there getting it cheaper then any where else. You have to stand strong and firm on your price. I've had bad phone calls over cars for sell threatening and harmful ones not relating to your product not sure why. I've also had prank calls so its more of a anything can happen situation website.

Tip for consumers: Be firm about your price and be careful who you choose to sell for also meet at public places for safety.

jerryt20
8/21/14
Craigslist has gotten way too scammy. You can not even post an item for sell with out getting a ton of SMS messages from scammers. I find it very frustrating. But they do nothing, they only decide to make it harder for you to post ads. I had a hard time making my ads (For sale by owner- Furniture) go live. They kept getting ghosted.
ajk7
7/6/14
I would like to be able to give Craigslist a better rating, but it is too vulnerable and leaves it's customers (like myself today) scratching their heads too many times. This scam has been used and documented many times, but I would like to share the exchange with everyone anyway.

I posted an ad on my local craigslist page to sell some furniture. I'm moving soon and don't want to take some of it with me. I figured, I live in a college town and right near multiple bar districts and it's summer so there's bound to be some young college student looking to furnish there new apartment. Lot's of people browse craigslist to finds deals on stuff like that. I made one mistake and don't do this PLEASE.

I was looking to speed up the process and left my phone number for contact info. I already knew not to actually show your email address so they can't bypass having what they say going through craigslists system. Anyway a "man" texts me replying to the ad :

Scammer: "Am Mark i wanna know maybe is still available for sale? Living Room Furniture Sets (links to ad)

Me: "Hi mark yeah youre the first to respond to the ad, so yes everything is still available. Let me know if you have any questions or if you would like to take a look.

Scammer: Thanks for the prompt response. I'll like to know why you want to sell it. Hope it has no problem. and I will be happy if you can send me some close pics of it?

Note: Notice already the broken english and there were 6 pictures attached to the ad already so he didn't really need more, 2 early signs of the scam, but I'm really looking to move this stuff so I keep moving forward.

Me: "I'm moving because ill be moving out of town at month's end and will just buy new then. What pieces would you like more pics of? I'd be happy to send you some.

Scammer: Okay do you have a PayPal account?

Note: Not that Paypal is a bad thing, actually a great service and would've protected me greatly if he actually used it. But notice the fact that he completely ignored my question and jumped right to it. That's how you can get around these scams if you aren't totally sure. Just keep asking questions until you are 100% sure if it's legit and you can move forward with payment or if it's a scam and you report them to craigslist or whatever site you are using.

Me: No, I'd rather receive a cash payment when you pick up the furniture.

Scammer: It is easy and more faster to setup..Kindly sign up for a Paypal account. It's just a few steps away from signing up ok? I await to read from you soon...many thanks

Note: Again the broken english....and really you're going to have an attitude? In this situation the CUSTOMER IS NOT ALWAYS RIGHT!!! As a seller you have to protect yourself.

Me: I wait a few minutes to see if he persists and I can finally get one thing out of him that makes sense. He texts me 3 min after the last. "Hello!..." Really? an attitude and impatience?!? I'm pissed and now start to screw with the guy a little bit. I give him an old paypal account that he could hack and it wouldn't make a difference. And mind you the price we agreed on was $850 and I'm watching my email and the b.s. paypal acount side by side.

Scammer: "I will want to inform you that i have made the transfer and it has been deducted from my account...Kindly check your inbox and Spam folder for the email alert and also i will be needing a little help from you about the hauler.

Note: Why the hell would he tell me to check my emails spam folder. The only legitimate emails that end up in your spam folder are automated emails responses from new or less than highly reputable companies. Also WTF! you need help with the hauler? 1) who calls it a hauler and 2) my ad said specifically local pickup only!!!! So he continues...

Scammer: "I added an extra $650 which you are to transfer to the pickup agent address for the pickup to be made and i believe PayPal should have explained better about the procedure to complete the sale. I have also added an extra $100 for the western union charges so you got nothing to worry about, you can check your mail to read more about what it is to be done to complete the sale.

Me: (laughing hysterically....have not ever heard anything so absurd) "Sorry Mark, this is a scam you know it. I'm not getting involved with western union and you're not getting any of my own money. You're way of handling this and communicating was fishy to begin with. Please do not contact this number again or I will contact the authorities."
Then I received his "supposed" PayPal payment attempt emails which told me to go and pay the $650 out of pocket to his "pick up agents address" and then I would be reimbursed when the $1600 went through to my Paypal account, but there was no real payment from their end.

Just a fair warning to everyone out there, don't post your phone number on Craigslist. Just wait for emails through the system. Always protect yourself. If not you'll always have to stay on your toes like I did. Let's be honest they didn't do well at all to cover their intentions, but you never know, someone else might and they might cover it well. For now we can all laugh at how stupid "Mark" was.
stephanien3
4/21/14
I use craigslist mainly for looking for housing and then furnishing my place. If you are patient and don't mind driving around your area, you can get a lot of good deals on used things.
jamesf62
3/23/14
Yet again, another website that plays tug-of-war with my emotions! I found my first full-time job on Craigslist. On the flip-side, every other apartment listing is scam; usually an archaeologist currently stationed in Africa who chooses you as the lucky person to send him money in exchange for the keys before you ever get a chance to look at the apartment. I've participated in a handful of promotional gigs and studies for money. Flip the coin! Every other job posting is a door-to-door sales job that masquerades as a prestigious sales job with 100k potential. I sold my collection of video games for a great price in a matter of 2 days. The "Personals" section is basically 42nd street in the 70s and 80s (Don't ask me why I know this). On craigslist, there's good, bad, worse, pathetic, and downright disgusting! Once you find that diamond in the rough, it's usually worth it!
bp18
3/22/14
I've done well through the years (I am female and older) selling tools and sports equipment in NY and Asheville. Ah, sold my ten-year old car quickly and a motorcycle just as fast - good poses and facts help. But most people here still ask stupid questions (ignore them and move on). Take photos, price your items well and they move. Sure, there are some flakes but c'est la vie. I never had a no show. No want when they came to my place, yes. But that's okay.

House rentals or selling: Don't even bother. We ended up at one final CL ad (we had had it with the junk on CL) and called the agent (?) and said never send us to a dump like that again. It doesn't work for rentals or selling. Use an agent or the MLS or Mountain Xpress.

Personals: Most people seem to be illiterate. In women only, they are mostly men posing as women or pretending to look for their chick. So, I'd read and report - one couple wanted a woman for polygamy (I explained what illegal means) or just stay clear.

The monitoring is baloney and automated. I wouldn't bother with it.
carlas15
2/4/14
Use this site very often. The largest classifieds site out there with a lot of local ads posted from individuals. However, there are known cases of unfair people on the site so one needs to be vigilant and check the internet for reviews about the person offering services or products. I always check people on radaris, intelius or peoplefinders prior to reaching out to them.

No, and DO NOT talk to the forum...trolls just waiting to attack anyone who is frustrated.

By Sebastion L.

All you can really do isjust "flag" the ad when you click on it. It gives you the ability to delete the posting. Nothing more. Craigslist gives no way's to post negative reviews. Unless you take the ad posting and info and post your own ad as the negative outcome or info. to pass on your experience. Lots of others are doing it as scam alerts or fraud alerts. Only remember that if you do, then the person whom your referring to also can "flag" your posting also.

By mike m.

I have posted many adds with craigslist my house, furniture and pets in the past. I am trying to post an dog now that showed up on here on the 4th of July. But all my adds get deleted use to love craigslist now I hate Craigslist. Big waste of my time every add I post gets deleted if I will selling cocaine I can understand craigslist use a funking little common sence. Don't call the customer service number thank you for calling Craigslist but there is no one here to help you. I have posted last add with Craiglist longer customer.

By sabre c.

In order to list items I first take the best pictures I can and take quite a few as you can post alot on listing. Then depending on item I'm listing I get dementions any and as much as I can. Now you need to create an account on Craigslist and no they change nothing for you to list or take a percentage of item sold unlike ebay. When you create your account you do have to provide a valid email but they only give it out if you check the box when posting that they can, Craigslist prefers you don't give out your own. They will make an email for you item and then forward it to you when someone inquires. When I checked emails regulary I would have them give my email out and had no problems until I had a box of misc items and then I received alot of sexual messages, so I never use my personal one anymore . I due have people text me ( there is a box you can mark if you'd prefer that method of contact) working the hours I do I've always used it since that option came out. I've never had any problems with a buyer calling or texting me. I've sold alot of items some were the same item just reposted it when I got more to sell. And I've always had people come to my house and never had any problems I did have one no show. 1) set up account it works for all the different areas. 2) It been along time but I believe they send you an email to verify it's valid 3) find area I want to post in Delaware, Milwaukee ect and if it's a large city you'll need to deside which area is closest to you 4) go to area you picked say Eastern Shore get on main page I mostly use smart phone top left is a menu touch it and you want to go to my account ( make sure if they sent verification email you verified it) 5) sign into your account I believe it gives you obtions of sell an item or my account, go to sell an item it will ask if you're the owner or I believe other is for mass selling. Then pick best category if it's a lawnmower go to garden ect. Now your making post it will give you options of default email which they recomend or the obtion of having them call or text you. Then you'll need to come up with a short popping post of course put in what your selling and any words that make it seem it's the best. Then give as much info as you can about item selling and make sure to be honest about it. There's an area that asks you who's manufacturer what's it's condition I usually skip that as it's in item description but it could help to sell it. Then theres a map so people know around where you are if you don't want them coming to your house put in zipcode of a town by you. Then it will have you upload pictures. Make sure the best one is uploaded first as that's the one that people see by your post and add the rest of pictures. Also at the beginning it will ask for a dollar amount for item. When pictures are done loading hit publish. Sometimes they send an email verifying post, but they will inform you they are. If they do make sure to go to email and verify it as item won't post till you do. Post will automatically delete after a month to 45 days it comes inactive first so you have option of reposting it. If you want to delete or modify posting sign into craiglist account and touch on my account and all your active and inactive posts are there touch on either delete post or edit. It's very simple and easy to do if you forget to fill in say asking price when you go to publish post it will tell you you something wasnt filled in. I know the government was trying to pass a law that we have to pay taxes on what we sell but I haven't done much selling on eBay or craiglist so I haven't checked if it passed It sounded like it wasn't going to. Hope this helps I am computer dumb and can post on here so most people should have no problems. Terri

By Terri S.

If you want support, go to a real site. Nothing but trolls at CL who prey on anyone asking for help in the forum.

By Sebastion L.

just set up another email account and your back on

By marla l.

Questions? Get answers from the Craigslist, Inc. staff and other customers.

16 Photos for Craigslist, Inc.

Craigslist, Inc.?