Craigslist

2018 CUSTOMER CHOICE AWARD

Craigslist has a consumer rating of 3.64 stars from 663 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally satisfied with their purchases. Craigslist also ranks 2nd among Classifieds sites.

• I'm blown away at the distance some people will drive to pick up a good deal.
  • But my husband didn't actualy go into our PayPal account.
  • 2018 Customer Choice Winner

• I especially avoid any ads that don't give a business address, phone number, fax number or email address.
  • Or you better be armed because you either have money to buy or you have something of value they want.
  • It is time for a change please, anything visual would be nice.
How would you rate Craigslist?

“Tim Brothers did an awesome job finishing my basement.”

Claire P.
6/8/19

The room turned out to be an amazing new space in my home. Tim was great. He is very creative and came up with some interesting ideas. He came in time and completed the project pretty quickly. His pricing was very fair as well. We are very happy with his work. Would definitely recommend him!

“waist of time”

joe b.
1/25/20

All you get for posting something to sell on craigs list is trolls scams and spam. Its not worth the time to post anything. They know it, we know it sir hope they consider shutting it down. Its just a place where shady crappy awful people hang out and wait to prey. A very dark useless place.

phone number (16) people (106) email address (8) money (56) time (103) customer service (6) credit card (6) ads (69) post anything (5) paypal account (2) 2 years (4) web site (3)
davida1757
January 18th, 2020
Now Craiglist had decided millions of dollars in advertising isn't enough. They are charging owners to post listings. Very greedy company.
thomasd359
July 28th, 2019
I have bought and sold many things on craigslist. One really has to be on the lookout for scams because. If you are trying to sell a product or service then competitors will flag the hell out of your ads just so you get removed.

Let's face it though. It has a terrible interface. There are a lot of really strange people on there and it can be brutal to those who don't know what there doing. Yet, it is pretty much the only game in town as far as internet classifieds
lolat19
May 11th, 2019
B and C Northwest installed 5 rooms of carpeting in my home for $4100. After 3 years I noticed the seams were separating in two bedroom doorways. I called Biff to repair the seams beginning in October 2018. After 7 months of calling, texting and emailing, I am still waiting for the carpet to be repaired. I got many excuses and then no shows. I consider him to be neither dependable or reliable. I would NOT recommend this company for installation of flooring
williams1247
May 20th, 2019
At best, you'll be dealing with a 90's themed website (basically wall of text). At worst, you'll be parted with your money without receiving a product. It's a bulletin board without too much moderation or verification, which is good and bad.

The bad: anyone can pretty much post anything; rule 34 applies. The good: sometimes humans can be good. In short, you get what you pay for, which is not very much at all.
harryh43
April 24th, 2018
Craigslist is starting to charge across all categories for advertising, whether it's for professional services of any kind, etc. I've used it for 10 yrs as part of my advertising strategy, and have only gotten 4-5 clients over that time, so for free, it's fine to use. If they're going to charge me, I want to see the metrics of how many people view my ads, where they're from, time of day, day of week, all the professional metrics that a business would expect out of a for-profit advertising platform. Obviously they don't have that and never will release metrics like that to the public. There are lots of other free sites that are used as much as Craigslist now, which has lost its popularity over the last several years. That's where I'm going.
myanhd
July 9th, 2017
It's been a few times I've applied for a dozen times for jobs on this site. It's just a waste of time filling out app and resumes. Not even one calls/email return. It's like there's no respect anymore for at least respond saying "Sorry, we're not hiring at this time." "Thanks for applying but looking for someone who's....." Something so simple like that can really change how I see company looking to hire. Just a bunches of people who's wasting my or other people's time. I hope somehow that'll change. So sick of that crap. What's the point of applying online when no one on there doesn't respond to your application.?
jamiem139
October 30th, 2017
Between the creeps and criminals on this site--It's hard for me to give a good review. It's flooded with scam, spam, and creeps! Most of the people can not be trusted so if you use this site, use caution! The site is generally okay.
cindyg59
March 6th, 2017
Hired this contractor-- did good at the start then he never came back and finished the job-- its been 6 weeks and no-show--- had to get someone else to finish the job--- I will never use them again ----- just be cautious on this one. There name is Ray Smith, from Athens/Florence area.
rona952
March 28th, 2016
I had adds on Craigslist a was getting flaged from people at dident like my price I tried to to repost and keep getting flaged I tried to get in touch with Craigslist over the problems they just keep send me to there rules list never did fix problems Craigslist is one of Worst companies that deal with when you have a problem Craigslist list is joke for fixing problems with there adds welfare had company there clowns
kimb1233
October 17th, 2016
I came here because no recourse for leaving feedback/reviews. I live in Austin and tried to hire a guy who rents out Moonwalks/Bouncehouses for $75. He has 3 (Hello Kitty, Spiderman & a Purple Castle). I spoke to him over the phone and hired him for a kid's party. There was no contract but he assured me he would make it. I sent a note to Administrators of Craigslist after he was a no show. But likely nothing will be done to regulate people like this. He is running a business using Craigslist. He doesn't have a name listed so no easy way to give him a yelp review. I guess Buyer Beware and I'd recommend meeting anyone you hire before your event to get something in writing
stephenw73
August 29th, 2016
This used to be such a great site. Now you get a couple of text a day regarding paypal, cashier's checks etc. What a shame!
jerryk23
April 19th, 2015
helps to live comfortable. but all that happens is that CL allows competitors to flag you without any action or proof that you're up telling illegally, We have a decent business and is not just an abusive competitor whose flag us for no reason, Cl had already detected that and I have sent thousands of complaints and not listen.
susane37
February 23rd, 2015
Craigslist is great in many ways but I posted my resume under resume. Biggest mistake. I had spam from all over. Craigslist needs to eliminate that column. One person called that was legit. Lesson learned.
davidw384
September 24th, 2016
To be honest, I wouldn't recommend Craigslist to anyone. I bought a phone that was listed as unlocked, only to later find out that it wasn't. If only it had been tested when the seller was met. Very saddening
debbien15
June 21st, 2015
I did all the necessary steps to secure a rental that required moving quite some distance from where I live now. I am a disabled elderly lady who made the trip to see the rental and provide legal paperwork for the rental. After we agreed that it would work out and I sent a check as expected, we set a date for me to move in. Then a few days before I was getting ready to move in, the party cancelled on me and I was left to find another place short notice. I have not been able to find anything. Perhaps craiglists personnel should screen the advertisements more accurately so people are not left with this problem. I may become homeless and who cares?
terrie33
December 26th, 2015
Seems to be a nice and genuine person, but some of his work is less than professional, and very demanding for money before job is complete.
jenniferg35
May 29th, 2014
Ive been using craigslist for years and for the most part successfully. However in the last year (2013-2014) it has been nothing but a nightmare. They delete my ads before they even get posted, over an over again, they will not let me run more than one ad. This is stupid. I contact them but as everyone knows there is no actual person only a computer, so that gets me nothing. Its like their computer is stuck on stupid and does not know what the goal of their site is. Yet, every day I see page after page of the same ad posted over and over again by the same person as if they're stuck on stupid. This makes no sense. May I suggest that someone come up with another site like Craigslist but without all the stupid problems. And just so you know, I would be more than happy to pay a small fee for each of my ads that I post. Please get rid of Craigslist. Apple, if you have 3Billion to buy Beats then why don't you invest in the public and create a site similar to Craigslist?
elyssap
August 30th, 2013
A real old timer. No photos, no excitement, just the bare MS DOS-like approach. Very outdated, plus no effective policing of bad ads. Just try finding an apartment to rent in New York City from someone who claims to be a property owner and IS actually one.
paulk70
April 24th, 2014
Don't use Craigslist for paid job postings. If anything happens, the customer service is non-existent. They pretty much stole $75 from me because the site said the credit card I was trying to pay with was invalid. I re-entered the information thinking I had not gotten the billing address right and even though it came up as invalid, I was charged each time anyways!

Update: After a few days, Craiglist responded with a message saying the payments were pending and if there was only one ad posted I would only be charged once. They said the pending payments would be cancelled within 10 days. We shall see... I changed this review to one star since it was not confirmed that they stole my money, however, if the payments are not cancelled, it will be changed back to one star.
terresap1
January 6th, 2013
Craig's list is okay if you are a buyer but to be an advertiser was a real waste of my time. Each time I posted an ad to sell something the only replies I got were morons who don't know how to read the part that says not to solicit me. The only ads that got the desired results were my cell phone ads and my software ads. I answered a couple of job ads on Craigs list that turned out to be scams. I stopped using this site and went elsewhere. If you want to use this web site that's up to you. Use it with caution. I don't reccomend Craig's List.
anitae
April 20th, 2013
I replied via email to an ad selling satin drapes stating I was very interested and were they still available. Received an email back stating yes and what area of town she lived in. Sent my home phone number asking her to call and let me know where and when because I wanted them. She sent a text to my home phone that I could not understand. (It's read to you by a machine) I replied and asked that she call me. She sent 2 more text. This went on for a while until I finally told her nothing was worth this aggravation. I also replied to another ad and item was still available; she had to talk to her mom and get back with me....never heard back. I did enjoy shopping on that site...not so much anymore.
michelleg17
October 8th, 2012
We attempted advertising services on Craigslist however it created nothing but spam. I don't even think we ever got any legit responses from it. We now have not advertised for probably almost 2 years and are still receiving emails that claim "your listing on craigslist". What a waste of time and energy..
vancec10
September 30th, 2014
craigslist is helpful site but there are spammer are lots.So i use craigslist little.But many people like craigslist so much.

Tip for consumers: little love

gavinw
June 24th, 2010
I was debating between "Meh." and "Cool" Overall Craigslist works and I've used it. I think it's great in terms of having lots of good deals listed and the service is free so that's cool. The selection is also great...if you can find it. A few reasons why I gave it 2 and not 3 stars is the spam postings, the scammers, and just the overall usability of the site. If it could improve on those things, Craigslist would really be awesome.
jaceks
September 9th, 2010
Craigslist is so riddled with unwanted solicitations and scams and when you meet someone to sell or buy your stuff it better be in a public place.
So just be careful all the time and be in public.
Meet at a police station a library or other government building by a court house with lots of cameras and witnesses and police sheriffs around.

No, and DO NOT talk to the forum...trolls just waiting to attack anyone who is frustrated.

By Sebastion L.
See more answers (3)

All you can really do isjust "flag" the ad when you click on it. It gives you the ability to delete the posting. Nothing more. Craigslist gives no way's to post negative reviews. Unless you take the ad posting and info and post your own ad as the negative outcome or info. to pass on your experience. Lots of others are doing it as scam alerts or fraud alerts. Only remember that if you do, then the person whom your referring to also can "flag" your posting also.

By mike m.
See more answers (2)

I have posted many adds with craigslist my house, furniture and pets in the past. I am trying to post an dog now that showed up on here on the 4th of July. But all my adds get deleted use to love craigslist now I hate Craigslist. Big waste of my time every add I post gets deleted if I will selling cocaine I can understand craigslist use a funking little common sence. Don't call the customer service number thank you for calling Craigslist but there is no one here to help you. I have posted last add with Craiglist longer customer.

By sabre c.

In order to list items I first take the best pictures I can and take quite a few as you can post alot on listing. Then depending on item I'm listing I get dementions any and as much as I can. Now you need to create an account on Craigslist and no they change nothing for you to list or take a percentage of item sold unlike ebay. When you create your account you do have to provide a valid email but they only give it out if you check the box when posting that they can, Craigslist prefers you don't give out your own. They will make an email for you item and then forward it to you when someone inquires. When I checked emails regulary I would have them give my email out and had no problems until I had a box of misc items and then I received alot of sexual messages, so I never use my personal one anymore . I due have people text me ( there is a box you can mark if you'd prefer that method of contact) working the hours I do I've always used it since that option came out. I've never had any problems with a buyer calling or texting me. I've sold alot of items some were the same item just reposted it when I got more to sell. And I've always had people come to my house and never had any problems I did have one no show. 1) set up account it works for all the different areas. 2) It been along time but I believe they send you an email to verify it's valid 3) find area I want to post in Delaware, Milwaukee ect and if it's a large city you'll need to deside which area is closest to you 4) go to area you picked say Eastern Shore get on main page I mostly use smart phone top left is a menu touch it and you want to go to my account ( make sure if they sent verification email you verified it) 5) sign into your account I believe it gives you obtions of sell an item or my account, go to sell an item it will ask if you're the owner or I believe other is for mass selling. Then pick best category if it's a lawnmower go to garden ect. Now your making post it will give you options of default email which they recomend or the obtion of having them call or text you. Then you'll need to come up with a short popping post of course put in what your selling and any words that make it seem it's the best. Then give as much info as you can about item selling and make sure to be honest about it. There's an area that asks you who's manufacturer what's it's condition I usually skip that as it's in item description but it could help to sell it. Then theres a map so people know around where you are if you don't want them coming to your house put in zipcode of a town by you. Then it will have you upload pictures. Make sure the best one is uploaded first as that's the one that people see by your post and add the rest of pictures. Also at the beginning it will ask for a dollar amount for item. When pictures are done loading hit publish. Sometimes they send an email verifying post, but they will inform you they are. If they do make sure to go to email and verify it as item won't post till you do. Post will automatically delete after a month to 45 days it comes inactive first so you have option of reposting it. If you want to delete or modify posting sign into craiglist account and touch on my account and all your active and inactive posts are there touch on either delete post or edit. It's very simple and easy to do if you forget to fill in say asking price when you go to publish post it will tell you you something wasnt filled in. I know the government was trying to pass a law that we have to pay taxes on what we sell but I haven't done much selling on eBay or craiglist so I haven't checked if it passed It sounded like it wasn't going to. Hope this helps I am computer dumb and can post on here so most people should have no problems. Terri

By Terri S.

If you want support, go to a real site. Nothing but trolls at CL who prey on anyone asking for help in the forum.

By Sebastion L.

just set up another email account and your back on

By marla l.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Craigslist staff and other customers.

craigslist provides local classifieds and forums for jobs, housing, for sale, services, local community, and events

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Craigslist?

Have a question about Craigslist?