Review of ConstantContact

support@constantcontact.com
2018 Customer choice award

davidb2173
5/7/19

I'm like the other people here - signed up for free and immediately got a call and they then put me paying $30 month when I didn't want it. The without my knowledge it went up to $65. They don't have a cancel option online (super scammy) and that took more than an hour to cancel with someone who was horribly condescending and insulting. Then I actually was stupid enough to give them another try because they offered 6 months free. So I did it sending one email. They cancelled my account after one email sent to my subscribers. Ugh stay away from this horrible company.

nebojsak
5/1/19

Be careful with this prank company. I started my free trial planning to test the platform and quit if I don't like it. But they charged me for monthly subscription 5 days before my trial expired. Because, how they explained, "it says like that in T&Cs" which are hidden somewhere on the site. I sent them email asking for the refund straight away but they never replied because (again their explanation) "they don't have the team who handle that kind of queries". But why the heck you have contact form on the website??? I expected at least a reply. Today I finally called them because I couldn't find the option to cancel the contract (which really doesn't exist on the wrbsite so only way is to call them) and successfully managed to leave this so-called company. I am sure their main income is coming from the cheated customers because their customer support is horrible. Stay away from them and keep using the reliable email marketers. Who knows what kind of "hidden T&Cs" you haven't read

howards176
3/22/19

OMG... didn't spend anytime reading about reviews... got charge the second i signed up for a free account. Been on the phone for over an hour still no one picked up... what a scam!

ashleym412
2/24/19

The easiest integration but not very feature heavy. A great starter option not super great for a/B testing or anything complex.

mikea413
9/25/18

We're ok in the beginning, but charged me without using the service. Spoke with and they don't care about doing the right thing. Calling to cancel while on hold 20 minutes. They call this customer service. CEO is a mental midget, you think?

sarenam1
9/11/18

our high volume SMTP hosting service lets you send from your own application server, email client or a combination of different sources. For distributions of several thousand to greater than 1,000,000 messages per month, our high volume services are highly
scalable and competitively priced.

Tip for consumers: mailing software free mailing smtp servers mta rotation bulk smtp free mailing software emails mta rotation ram disk space disk space bandwidth space bandwidth ips

davidl1017
8/27/18

Spent the entire morning working on a newsletter for my workgroup. Went to lunch, came back to my desk and I had been logged out of my account due to inactivity. Not a problem. Just log back in, right? WRONG. They had CANCELED my account without ANY warning or ANY justification. I'm at work, at my desk, and they found a 'security loophole' that was a 'threat'. I've no idea what they are talking about and neither does my workplace. I was actually going to signup with them, until this incident. THe person on the phone said I had lost all my work and my account was erased. Just absolutely disgusted. Goodbye ConstantContact! I'm looking elsewhere for my newsletter needs.

luked44
6/20/18

Overall, I would have to say we have had a pleasure using their service, but have had a number of issues that required us to get support, and support was one of the most tedious parts of the service. Our email list is only around 15,000 so I know we're not one of the major players on their radar, but while they make it easy to send out emails, they don't do a great job of communicating changes or issues with their services. Since we do a lot of timely communications on new deals and what-not, having an email take six hours to go out can be the difference between success and failure for a campaign. In many cases, people end up opting out because they are tired of getting emails after a deal is already over. We would probably move away from them if we weren't too much tied to their system. Considering hiring someone part-time to help us move to another platform and to re-design our emails.

tonyt101
4/19/18

Charged me during a "FREE" trial period and proceeded to send me through a phone gauntlet for the refund -- even though I canceled the subscription an entire month before the "FREE" trial ended.

I eventually gave up on recovering my money. They are untrustworthy. Do not hand over any credit card or other personal information to them.

leonb57
11/11/17

Works very well, sending out blast E-mails, it goes out to a wide audience, and I get lots of positive responses, very easy to set up and use

frankp113
11/11/17

I have had numerous conversations with constant contact. The bottom line is we all want to have our phone ring with new inquires about our services. Navigating the various business solutions is challenging. If anyone has experience with any other companies other than Angie's list and Yelp let me know. We get business from yelp without even paying for the high listing cost. We are a local service company looking for new business within a few blocks of each other.

sus4961
10/26/17

No more than two hours after I signed up for a free 60-day trial, I received a phone call from Olivia who said she was calling as my free trial coach. While the initial conversation was uneventful, it became very clear that the true intent of Olivia's call was to try and sale me the email-plus program. She offered to get me a 20 minute consultation, so I could get started right away because in her opinion, people new to the program were often overwhelmed and unable to really get started. I told her that I wanted to go through the trial program to really get to know the system. She came with selling point number two which was, "People always get uncomfortable when I start talking about money." No one said anything about the cost of the program because it's published on their website, so I knew the cost, but still opted to try the program first. Even though her line of discussion was questionable, I again stated I wanted to try the program to see if it would fit my needs and would need to know the program when the consultant was gone, so thanks but no thanks. She then moved to point three which was she thought working with a consultant later next week would be best for me , and I would still have time to play around with the program. I still wasn't interested as I explained again that I wanted to use the program and see if it worked for me. This is when she started raising her voice, talking over me, and being disrespectful. She started exclaiming that she didn't understand a person who was being offered a free trial of the plus program they could cancel with no obligation. I again explained my position to go through the trial I signed up for. Then she offered to have graphic artists design my first email, and it would be state of the art. She also repeated how difficult the program may be for me as it had been for others. I mentioned that the templates I had been playing around with when she called seemed simple enough because they were drop and paste. She tried to tell me how much more I would be getting, but I told her that both programs were designed by the same company, so the quality would be the same. She then started shouting and talking over me. I continued to talk. It seems her tactic was to try an intimidate me into a purchase. She was irritated and her comments and demeanor suggested so. The final straw was when she said, "So you are doing the trial to try to send out an email?" I said, "Excuse me?" I told her that she had crossed the line and was very disrespectful and unprofessional. I told her that money was never the issue, and I not only was not interested in the email-plus program, but I had no interest in Constant Contact at all because of my interaction with her because if this is how a business allows an employee to call me and speak to me in this way, I would never do business with them. I told her that I had over 500 email addresses in my contacts, and I did not need Constant Contact to help me send an email. I asked her what her name was again, and she said Olivia. I let Olivia know that I would not be doing business with Constant Contact and would let all of my contacts and colleagues know to do the same. She then threatened to close my account. Of course, I didn't care because I was going to do so as soon as I hung up. I phoned customer service and was connected to a manager who apologized, but the damage was done. He stated they would look into my complaint and this was an isolated incident, but seeing these other complaints here suggest otherwise. I also called and asked that my account be closed and deleted. I was told they would close it after the trial expired. I stated again that I wanted the account closed and deleted. I was told they would just let it expire. Do not do business with a company who takes pride in demeaning and intimidating you into doing business with them. No means no, and to continue to try and sell to me for 40 minutes was just thirsty and unprofessional. I will not waste another moment on this company and advise you to look elsewhere.

cleom19
10/19/17

Been a customer for years. Great for my monthly email program. My two biggest complaints are how they have changed the platform to limit not only the number of available layouts, but I can no longer edit the content through html. It looks like someone (a techy person) wanted to make it easier, but instead they made it more limited.
The second biggest complaint is how it doesn't automatically resize for mobile.
Fortunately, I use the same layout I have used for years, so I just keep copying it and then changing the content, so I still have the full html editing use and can change the stylescript as well.
For someone who has never used a program like this, the current layout and newsletter choices appear to be extra simple.

davido124
7/13/17

I run a small business and would warn to stay away from Constant Contact. Just got billed for a renewal of services. When I went to tell them I wanted to cancel, they won't refund any of what was billed. Apparently they will not refund any monies that are auto billed as part of an auto renew. Very bad business practice. You should always be able to recoup any unused services.

alicet34
6/30/17

It's kinda expensive if to be honest. As far as I have not very big business, I have to send much money for this service, which is not always perfect actually.

ryanj34
3/16/17

My email (& an associate) were placed into their system by an unknown vendor. When i removed myself from one email chain a second from another advertiser popped up.

Not wanting to chase this down forever i called company directly to remove my email from theri system completely, along with any other email addresses for my staff. They said they could not do this, that i would have to provide them with contact information for each staff member to remove their emails individually.. and when asked who put our names into the system so i could phone them directly to stop it, they told me they would not tell me who is addind my staff emails to the spam lists.

...so you wont tell me who from here you've added, wont tell us who is adding us, wont take us all out without a ton of work.

Some ethics.
avoid unless you want to piss all your clients off.

ronm115
12/1/16

WOW what a Load of Crap.. Our Company Tried Constant Contact... 100% FAIL and WASTE of Valuable Company Time.
Be careful of the staff that will call you and try to get into your wallet as they attempt to navigate customer's thru the initial setup.. (Nightmare)!@#$%^
Constant Contact is Nothing but a Shady Mail Peddler Spamming Service
* WATCHOUT *

mikel280
10/25/16

Constant contact started off ok, then out of no where they won't let me back in due to security issues. They never really explained the situation and was very vague. I signed uo through Ipage so I couldn't change my user name and password as they wanted me to. Ipage and Constant Contact teemed up, but when a problem came up, they blamed each other and neither one of them wanted to take responsibility for the situation. Ipage tried to help, Constant contact gave me the impression they didn't want to give me the time of day, very disappointed in technical support and customer service. Constant contact continued to take my money while keeping me out and of course no one wants to reimburse me.....

brianc135
8/10/16

I dont know if Constant Contact is calling me or someone impersonating Constant Contact is calling but this is the second time in a month where I have reserved time to go over the supposed inconsistencies with my online content. I was asked to use the Join.Me program and after a few seconds of joining the meeting the individual would hang up with no attempt to call me back. I tried calling the number he called me on but it constantly states that all personnel are busy and to please leave a message.

I have no idea what this scam is trying to achieve but I'm done with it

johns1114
4/6/16

Not sure how this organization Constant Contact received my email address, but I've been receiving emails from a ton of different companies and even though I have been unsubscribing from those companies there is not way to stop Constant Contact from giving my email to more companies. This has to be illegal.

kamalr1
1/26/16

The worst experience in my carrer. They suspended my account, removed the ability to send email, remove the ability to delete contacts.... I switch to a different mail delivery platform. They charged me for a period of 13 month over 5000$ even though my account had 0 activity. Best of all you have to call them to cancel the account. Stay away from constant contact. Doesn't get any worse than this. Stay away!

jeant12
12/1/15

We received a few voicemails from Mike, who says he works for Constant Contact and is selecting businesses to put their menus up on TripAdvisor, but he needs to conduct interviews. This immediately set off alarm bells - then a quick online search (including on this site) shows horrible sales manipulation tactics. I thought both TripAdvisor and Constant Contact were legitimate companies! So I asked Constant Contact, and it turns out it is their family company, Single Platform. Obviously any company that resorts to secretive and weird telemarketing is not the kind to do business with. I am so glad we use MailChimp for our email marketing! By the way, Mike's phone number is 929-254-0445.

johns1077
11/30/15

Stay away from these scamsters. Not only will they freeze your account after taking your money for a "review" period of indeterminate amount of time, they won't even tell you why!

jessicac57
6/19/15

This person (Tom) identified himself as someone from TripAdvisor. He wanted to schedule a phone interview as he claimed he was looking for potential businesses that might be a good fit to
feature on the site. He called three times, which should have been my first clue that he was selling something. I agreed to a time for a phone interview but had to cancel. When he tried to reschedule I told him I wasn't intetested, and he insisted that he wasn't a telemarketer and it would only take 10-15 minutes. Very pushy, worst stereotypical telemarketer.

The next day, someone else called, 20 minutes later than I agreed to. The "interview" was staged as though they were just looking for good small businesses to feature on various sites, almost like an application process. (Are you involved in the community? Are you family owned? Tell me about how you started.)

It slowly turned into a sales pitch for a multiplatform social marketig management program, something that I was in no way interested in and frankly could have done myself. I had to literally interrupt this woman to force her to get to the point that she was selling something. This was 24 minutes into the call. I told her I wasn't interested and that I didn't have time to discuss it. At this point she became pushier and outright condescending. No, I don't have a lot of internet presence, but I intentionally do not put our menu online and I'm not going to pay $79 a month for things I can do myself. Least of all to people who all but outright lied about the intentions if a phone call that turned out to be a huge waste of my time.

These sales people are the pushiest, rudest advertisement sales people I've encountered to date, and I literally had to hang up on this woman after thanking her for her time and saying goodbye. If I wanted to find someone to offer these services, I'd go with someone more professional and not as rude.

chadb11
12/12/14

Run. This company is all about the volume of customers and not their individual customer. If you value any part of your business, do NOT put your trust in Constant Contact. Find someone else, anyone else. If you are with them for years, they still treat you like a stranger. DO NOT TRUST THEM.

62 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Questions? Get answers from the ConstantContact staff and other customers.

2 Photos for ConstantContact