Review of Chase

tim.keefe@chase.com
2017 Customer choice award

peterm703
6/14/19

I always use a VPN to protect my data while accessing the Chase.com website over public WiFi access points. Using the VPN resulted in Chase's security rules getting triggered and my checking and savings accounts being closed. Apparently, my IP address changed to often for them and they flagged the account.

I received NO PRIOR EMAILS OR Phone call from the chase Fraud department, they just closed my accounts.

So, if you are smart enough to protect you banking transaction by using a VPN Encrypted connection, be warned that it may result in all you accounts being automatically closed.

Worst experience I have ever had.

shaune6
6/7/19

First, I opened my account online, only to receive the $200 promotion (after your account has a direct deposit) to keep my account open for 6 months. My first check wasn't set up for a direct deposit. When I went into the branch to cash my check (which was a Wells Fargo business issued check) I was advised that Chase would have to hold my check for a few days and could only give me $100.00 until the check cleared. I asked why they couldn't contact Wells Fargo to verify if the funds were good or not. I was advised that they couldn't do that and I would just have to wait for the funds to be cleared. My wife took a picture of the check and deposited (immediately) into her Bank of Oklahoma account through a mobile deposit, without me even being on her account. Bank of Oklahoma verified the funds and released the check.
After the 20th business day of waiting, I called Chase and was advised to wait a few more days. After a few more days of waiting, I called back and was advised that I would not receive the $200 because I was supposed to receive a coupon offer, but did not receive one and that the account had been open for 21 days, so the offer was no longer valid for me. And, the previous representative did not notate that she advised me to wait a few more days for the $200 credit. I went in and spoke with a branch manager who advised me that there was no notation that the representative (I spoke with on 5/29/19) told me that I didn't need a coupon. So, basically, she called me a liar and believed her incompetent employee over me. So, the customer service experience was H-O-R-R-I-B-LE!!! Plus, they charge to speak with customer service, after so many free calls.
I am closing my account as soon as my outstanding checks clear and moving over to the Bank of Oklahoma. They don't offer the fraudulent $200 that Chase offers, but they are much more professional, give accurate information, post-credits before debits, mobile banking, better offers for monthly checking account fees, and they don't charge you to speak to customer service, and.... they allow you to deposit money in someone else's bank account. Chase will not allow anyone to even make a deposit to someone else's account, even with an account number.
This bank doesn't stand by their offers, charge for services that should be free, inconvenience customers by making them wait days to get their own money when a customer sets up an account online with Chase. Nightmare ... .

cristinal9
4/19/19

In 2017, I completed their Balance Liquidation Program. My husband and I experienced financial hardship and I was late on some payments. When I first enrolled in their program several years ago, my phone representative advised me that any negative items on my credit report would be modified to show as current. My credit card APR was exuberant and it was difficult to meet the minimum payment. Needless to say, their rep lied to me and although I have escalated this issue to CFPB, they will not adhere to their verbal agreement although I successfully finished their program. Each of their executive banking reps has back peddled and none are accepting responsibility for their rep lying to me. This situation happened with another creditor and they immediately assisted me and made things right. My husband and I have been Chase banking customers for over 10 years, and my request is justified.

Do not apply for any of their credit cards. They are notorious for lying to their customers and if you file a complaint with the BBB or any other entity, they reply just to save face. One of their specialists left a vm message that they had reached a resolution; it was a lie. Very condescending and shady, to say the least. Their letter clearly states that they will not provide any resolution. I will continue to share my experience onward with all of our friends and family so they are not subjected to the negligence and "miscommunication" that I have personally experienced.

michaelb1892
4/18/19

Chase is an awful place to bank at. Do NOT bank here if you want to have access to your account. I was a recipient of $650 and they locked me out of my account and when I tried to call the chase online banking customer support number given to me they hung up on me 3 TIMES! When I finally got a hold of them they said it was MY phone having issues and that the sender needed to call them and verify the payment in order to get access to my OWN account. I then had the sender call the chase online banking customer support number and they hung up on her too! I then proceeded to go to the nearest Chase bank. When I explained to the customer service rep my situation all she did was call the SAME number I had called 4 times and nothing was resolved. They continued to state that my account will continue to be locked until the sender verifies their account information. This is ABSOLUTELY ridiculous and once this gets resolved I will be my business else where. This is a HUGE inconvenience and I am very upset with how they treat their customers.

barbaras145
4/6/19

I had phone stolen remotely. My chase was used and they blamed and closed without warning. They refused to open new account even though I kept a high balance in account. I would recommend you look at other banks.

beccam38
3/15/19

Paying with points for a hotel is the absolute worst experience. I'm paying a whole $200 extra and getting fewer perks (e.g. breakfast not included) than I would have if I bought from agoda. It went from a great treat to a very negative feeling. I'm really disappointed and won't be using it again.

joanm11
3/4/19

This is the bank for my Amazon Prime credit card. On 2/1, I used a link on the Chase home page to access my credit score. I got a message that the account was locked for security reasons and given a number to unlock the function. When I called the number, I was asked for my date of birth, social security number and Chase account number. I provided this information but balked when she asked for a loan number and another credit card number. I said I didn't consider giving that info over the phone appropriate and I said I was going to contact Chase to report the incident. She hung up. I called
Chase and they said it was definitely identity theft fraud because no one at Chase or TransUnion should be asking for that information over the phone. Five people including a TransUnion representative were involved in cancelling my credit card and setting up the appropriate screening mechanisms to detect further fraud. The process took over two hours. I asked Chase and TransUnion to report the incident, but to my knowledge no one recorded details. They suggested my personal computer had been hacked.

I was uneasy about Chase's apparent lack of followup, and on Monday morning 2/4, I contacted my computer support and was assured it was a Chase problem. I called Chase technical support and was lucky enough to talk to Hanade, who experienced this very situation himself. He, too, wouldn't provide the information over the phone, but went to his local branch office. The nearest branch for me is West Virginia (I live in North Carolina). Hanade explained that there was no security exposure as the link was within the Chase system. It was all a mistake because fraud and customer service didn't understand the technical aspects of the link. I was never hacked at all.

Since Hanade and I both fell into this trap, we were concerned for other customers, and Hanade transferred me to the Credit Card department to get them to start the ball rolling to clarify the link. I spoke to Mona and her supervisor Evon. Both said they were sorry for the mistake, but they had no options to become involved. there was nothing they could do!

Is there anyone at Chase who would be willing to update the link to provide an alternative option for updating the information? Is there anyway to instruct customer service not to declare identity theft and inflict the associated trauma on customers without justification? Is there an escalation path to initiate change based on customer feedback?

danb455
1/23/19

Not only the website is friendly, easy to navigate and the voices on the other end of the phone are coherent, friendly and professional. When you walk into a branch, it is also a positive response. I needed something notarized today, Citibank does not do it anymore.Debra from the Chase branch on Columbus and west 72nd took care of me in a
courteous, professional and friendly manner. I promised her i will shout out for Chase and i am a man of my word!

joshr130
1/9/19

Had no problem with this bank since I chose them! Its always easy to find a branch because they have a lot of it.

jerrys299
1/4/19

Chase Online Banking and Chase credit cards

I've been using Chase credit cards for many years along with
Chase Online Banking and been happy with it for years except for one error they
made on my credit rating a year ago. They made a negative posting in error when
my rating was 819 and they took it down to around 799 as I remember, because of
the error. I happened to catch it and called them up and explained it to them
and it was corrected. I've always considered a decent bank until about a month
ago when a fraud case developed between Amazon.com, and one of their sellers
who committed the fraud on me for the amount of $708.00 which was reported to
the sheriff's office where a case was filed on the entities. Amazon said they would
recover the money in 7 to 10 days which they never did. Chase was to recover
the full amount and reimburse me as well, but they only collected one part of
the amount, $249.61 and the rest was and is in limbo. Chase said they did what
they could and left me hanging saying that was all they could. That's when the
conversations started between me and Chase and Amazon, and every time you
talked to a different person and got a different story. Chase was to get a full
refund in 7 to 10 days as well, and it never happened. I kept getting the run
around from both firms, never getting the same answer twice. Chase became more
like Amazon and it was most frustrating thing I've ever dealt with in my life,
and still is not resolved. When there is a real problem, Chase doesn't have the
system or the people to handle a problem properly, and was as disappointing as
well as Amazon. After this experience which has gone on for almost two months,
I'm getting rid of four different Chase cards including my Blue Sapphire card
which is really a great card and I'm getting rid of my Chase online banking
account and going to Zion Bank which has a great online banking system as well
which I noticed is quicker and easier to use than Chase. Chase has turned out
to be a great disappoint especially when things get rough and they don't seem
to know what they are doing, except adding to the confusion and misinformation.

suzannep104
1/4/19

My Chase Ink credit card bill was due on Sunday 12/23/18 but due to the holiday season, I realized on that date that I had not paid it - & my credit score is high 800's so I really want to keep that situation. My husband used Chase's own online banking system to pay the balance on the due date. I just got a bill with a $15 late fee + interest, even though the payment was shown credited on 12/23 on the new statement.

Now, of course I am crazy busy like everyone else & extremely ANGRY at having to take TIME out of my schedule to make a very unpleasant call to their customer "service" line & go thru the hassle of reading off all my info (at least once!).

I called and said if they don't waive the fee & interest, I want the account closed immediately because this is not the way to treat a customer - especially since banks spend tons of money trying to obtain new customers in this very profitable area of their business!

So the curt impersonal rep, "Elizabeth", claims she is "helping" me by telling me how I can avert this problem by paying online early because CHASE'S OWN SYSTEM doesn't credit the same day (even though it could easily do so and has the use of our money). I said I didn't ask for ways that I could improve myself, I'm the customer, and Chase should not be charging a fee in that situation regardless. She used an official tone of voice on me and tried to quickly closed the conversation - very rude! I said, I am not done yet. Tell me exactly how much you have credited to my account. After she told me, I said, "NOW, we're done!"

chenellem1
12/11/18

I have been with Chase Bank for four years and have received so many fees that are unexceptionable. Over the past few months I have gotten over draft fees even though I had money in my accounts so I called to link my accounts and they told me this will fix the fees that have been applied and no more worries. Fast forward one month I received four more overdraft fees so I called and spoke with a manager and she said that if a check pulls from saving it will not draft from my checking's. I said great I am glad you told me this because the representative did not say that at all and I got more fees due to this. So she did reverse some but said that was the max she could fix at one time. She also had to call her manager to transfer funds to my other account because it said I did not have enough in my account when I clearly did as I and the manager saw that I did. So they had the higher manager manually transfer fund and during this it created another check to bounce and more fees. I called once again and spoke with a manager right away and he says that I have reached my max reversal for 12 months for curtsy reversals. I say but this was made due to there mistake. He said sorry nothing I can do about it. I do not recommend this bank at all! Customer service is horrible and they will charge so many unnecessary fees that a credit Union will not. Save your money and the headache and go with another financial institute!

anthonyr261
9/18/18

WePay/GoFundMe Deleted my account with no answer

I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and created this fundraiser, this is the second time GoFundMe deleted this account along with by WePay owned Chase. They did not give me an answer this is disgusting and disgraceful. I might potentially contact an attorney about this. If I can give 0 stars I would. This was my link https://www.gofundme.com/anthonyjrodriguez

jazk2
9/13/18

By far the worst bank ever. Worst customer service. They keep their clients waiting just to give them incorrect information. Wait time is ridiculous and no one really knows what's going on. I had a roth Ira with them which I wanted transferred to another bank. They transferred it as a Traditional IRA. Now I have to deal with tax payment on an Ira that I had already paid tax on. And there's no way of fixing it says Ahmad at the Venice location chase. Truly incompetent!!!

fernandos34
8/10/18

Came in to withdraw 250 from their ATM inside the lobby next to the tellers. After retrieving money which came mostly in 20's I went to the teller to request a 4 fifty dollar Bill's. Teller wouldn't do it without seeing my I'd and debit card. He saw me retrieve the money from the atm. Couldn't understand why he requested my debit card.

mikeh669
8/10/18

I financed my home in 2006 with Chase Bank and I never had a problem with them so I opened a personal and business checking account as well as two credit cards. Everything was as expected until this year when I decided to refinance our home. I made an application with Chase to refi and after 30 days John Gay , their home mortgage expert, advised me that he could not refi our home. I have never been late on a payment. Never bounce the check. Possess an excellent credit score. I feel as if they are biased against us as we are a same-sex married couple. I contacted Quicken Loans Rocket Mortgage the same day and closed successfully within two weeks. I moved my business checking to another bank due to the dissatisfaction and closed business checking account. Chase continues to hold that account open as there is a reoccurring monthly charge that Chase nor I can identify and now they're charging me late fees, overdraft fees, other fees, and refuses to close the account. What do I need to do to close the Chase account permanently? One by one I am slowly removing all of my accounts from this Bank and fear for the worst outcome. Chase Banks is extremely unprofessional in the way they manage their accounts.

js460
8/8/18

Never had a problem. There are a lot of branch locations, so it is always easy to find somewhere to withdraw money from the ATM without needing to pay a fee. Good website too, very user friendly.

vincentw42
7/24/18

Good bank like them for my business account and that they have branches all over. Really like the $3600.00 atm

cliffc16
5/1/18

On-line I've been able to easily navigate their website and accomplish much. But beware of doing business in person the training is so inconsistent. I've waisted time and money meeting the requirements given to me from a bank official only to find out from another bank official ALL of the additional work (I paid an attorney to do) was not needed. I was doing regular business at a branch location where they didn't want my check to pay a Chase credit card payment instead they payed the bill from the checking account causing me an accounting nightmare. When I asked other bank associates about this type of transaction they said we do not recommend that type of payment. Good luck working with this company.

nancyg151
4/25/18

Explain how real estate taxes were paid out of my escrow account to a different county and pin. It has been over a month and it has still not been resolved. The correct information was on my closing documents. my taxes will be due soon and my money is still not in my account. I called on March 23rd when I saw the error and I was told it would be corrected with in 7 days. Called again April 9th, 12th, and 25th. STILL NOT DONE AND NO ONE CAN TELL ME HOW THIS HAPPENED AND WHERE MY MONEY IS!!!!!!!

almiraz
2/27/18

The Chase app made transaction more easier and convenient when placing orders online and exeptional customer service.

howardc
1/24/18

They need to put out more updates. Used to be ok, now it is constantly glitchy. Also their rates aren't very competitive. I need to move banks.

rodrigod5
1/20/18

I've been a customer since WaMu went out of business and my account got transferred into a Chase account. The service is excellent and the mobile apps work great. I can deposit checks via the app and so save many trips to the bank. One thing I don't like that much are the fees for incoming wire fees. WaMu didn't charge and outgoing wire fees were very low, even for foreign wires.

Tip for consumers: Use the Chase app for banking, it's fast and very convenient.

gregoryd19
12/19/17

When I was traveling in South America earlier this year, I attempted to send a small international wire transfer online from my Chase account. Despite the fact that I have been a Chase customer for nearly 10 years and spent most of that time abroad, Chase flagged the transfer as suspicious and blocked me from all online and phone account access. I was told numerous times I would need to come into a branch in person if I wanted to restore access to my account. They did not care that I was out of the country.

Nine months later when I was back in the USA, I went to restore my online access at a Chase branch and discovered that a service provider I had canceled my recurring payments with a year earlier had started fraudulently billing my while I was unable to monitor my own account because of Chase's ludicrous policies. I attempted to file chargebacks for $1200 in stolen funds and bring this security breach to Chase's attention.

For months, I have been told someone would take care of the issue because they take this matter very seriously. Nothing has been done and I have spent hours on the phone with them and providing documentation to prove my story. My account is now in a deficit and they are threatening to close it because of their security breaches. If you value having control over your own money, stay far away from Chase.

mauricem23
11/28/17

I have no complaints when it comes to Chase Bank and their employees. Really pleased with the atmosphere and the courtesy shown by the employees.

27 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

There are no extra security items to log jnto chase. Other banks have better security.

By barbara s.

Questions? Get answers from the Chase staff and other customers.

2 Photos for Chase