Review of Caring.com

San Mateo, CA 94403, US
community@caring.com

gg122
1/8/19

Seeking assistance to aid parent with preparing for bed. This service requires minimum of 3 hours or $75 per shift...either way the price is outrageous! So much for being able to find reasonable help on a limited budget.

Response from Denise G., Caring.com Representative
Hi, Caring.com is a website and phone-based referral service that doesn't provide offline senior care. We instead list information about senior living communities and home care agencies who provide the types of services you described. Caring.com's services are free of charge. This review is unfortunately misplaced (it's for a different company), and we hope this individual is able to locate the correct page or contact at that business to share their feedback.
kimv97
10/25/18

I recently poated a review of Alexandria manor in bath pa because a friend was abused in the home and the home never told the family. I got a email back saying they couldnt verify the info and will not post it. So they monitor reviews and post what they want. This isnt a truly user reviewed website. PLEASE BE AWARE PEOPLE SEARCH GOOGLE BEFORE HERE AT LEAST OUR REVIEWS WILL BE HONEST NOT HIDDEN BY THEM

Response from Denise G., Caring.com Representative
Hi Kim, Thanks for your feedback, and we're sorry to hear about the experience you described regarding your friend. Unfortunately, you have an incorrect impression of our reviews program (in your allegation that we "don't post negative reviews"). Elder abuse is a criminal offense (as are other allegations you've made in the review you submitted against an assisted living business). To allege the assisted living business is engaged in criminal activity that hasn't yet been proven as fact on public record is against our guidelines for reviews, because such content is potentially defamatory or slanderous toward that business. You were given the option of submitting a new review that didn't contain potentially libelous or slanderous content. There are close to 25,000 negative (1-star and 2-star) reviews published on our website that met our guidelines. We hope you'll do two things: 1.) continue to follow up with the long-term care ombudsman and law enforcement about the serious criminal allegations you've made, and 2.) submit a review within our guidelines. Thanks! -Denise | Caring Reviews Team
barbarac411
7/26/18

This organization portrays its function as an aide in finding services for seniors. I found them lacking in knowledge, slow in service, and very intrusive in follow up. I ended up seeking my own information and setting my own tours of facilities. I have told followup Caring callers that I do not find their service beneficial. They continue to call re followup. This appears to be a funded agency in which money would be better used if they did not exist. I would hope that funds can be better allocated when trying to provide assistance re geriatric care. Perhaps the funding could actually go to elder care and meds. Disappointing.

Response from Denise G., Caring.com Representative
Hi Barbara, Thanks for your feedback! In addition to thousands of senior care articles written by geriatric/caregiving experts in our award-winning content online, we also have over a 100 family advisors who answer family caregivers' and seniors' questions via our toll-free referral helpline, and sounds like you may have reached an advisor who may need further training. I'd be happy to follow up to both find out more about specifically what information you felt was lacking, as well as remove your email and phone number from further outreach from us -- please contact community@caring.com so that I may assist you with that privately (without public posting of your full name and email/phone). Lastly, Caring.com isn't government funded, and our services are free to consumers -- "how we make money" is published on our website and communicated in our phone conversations with families and seniors as well. -Denise @ Caring.com
williamh578
6/28/18

This is my 5th time at Terence Cardinal Cooke rehabilitation. Therapy was fantastic and care excellent - from both nurses and nurses aids. Highly recommend it to all in need of physical and occupational therapy.

William Healy

lg63
6/26/18

This is a third party referral service that is high pressure and intrusive. They do not respect requests to remove you from their lists and call you for MONTHS after your initial inquiry. Then they distribute your info to a variety of corporate senior communities. Proceed at your risk.

Response from Denise G., Caring.com Representative
Hi L G., Please contact community@caring.com immediately for assistance in getting on our Do No Call and/or Do Not Email list. Ask for Denise G. and I'll personally follow up to ensure your email and/or phone are removed from any additional referral outreach. Please note: We initiate such outreach only after a consumer specifically asks for our help via a toll-free helpline or online form submission -- with our terms of use and privacy policy included in those flows, and notification to the consumer that in asking for referral help, we will share their contact info with senior living communities or home care agencies matched to their query -- as they've requested. Sometimes consumers miss that information in the online form, and/or in speaking with a family advisor, but I can certainly assist you. We are most definitely NOT a phishing enterprise. Looking forward to receiving your message soon so we can further assist you in getting removed.
kellyw215
5/28/18

I sent a query to caring.com and they phoned me on Eastern Time when I was in Mountain Time - waking me very early in the morning. They took my information and sent a follow-up. Then the barrage of phone calls and emails began from various facilities - even ones not recommended by caring.com. I had other family members also looking for a housing solution. We ended up using a suggestion from my sister-in-law. I conveyed this to caring.com on their follow-up call BUT caring.com scheduled a FAKE tour of the facility for me in an attempt to fain involvement in the placement of my loved one. I can only assume this was for money. Not impressed by caring.com.

Response from Denise G., Caring.com Representative
Hi Kelly, Thanks for your feedback. Our family advisors are specifically instructed and regularly reminded that tours may only be scheduled with the consumer's consent (and we collect consumer input on day/time as well). Please contact our team at community@caring.com so we can revisit the recordings of your telephone conversation(s) with our family advisor(s) and follow up as needed to correct any mistakes that were made in your referral case. Thank you! -Denise @ Caring.com
josec227
5/23/18

This company try to collect placement fee to a.client that is on Medicaid and not even referred by them. Stay away!!!!

Response from Denise G., Caring.com Representative
Hi Jose, Caring.com is leading senior care referral source and not a scam. If you represent a senior living community and feel that you are being unfairly invoiced for a referral fee associated to a new resident at your community, do get in touch with our Client Services team right away to discuss: clientservices@Caring.com. We are only paid for referrals we make, so if you think we didn't make the referral, and/or you flagged the referral as a duplicate within the deadline, do get in touch so we can correct the billing. Thank you!
pamd48
4/18/18

The site would not post my negative and factual review of a facility my mother was in. Do not trust this site to get accurate information on facilities. Horrible website.

Response from Denise G., Caring.com Representative
Hi Pam, Caring.com does allow negative reviews within the guidelines, and we definitely invited you to submit a new review within the guidelines. If you need further assistance, do contact our reviews team: community@caring.com. Thanks!
joeh180
3/23/18

Low pay-down believe the 50K/60K money they state. Starting wage $ 10.00 p/hr the numbers don't add up

Response from Denise G., Caring.com Representative
Hi Joe, While we can't discuss any private labor relations matters on a public forum like this one, we do invite you to discuss your concerns directly with the management of the company and/or HR leadership if you think that the compensation in your offer letter or onboarding materials doesn't match what you were paid. Thanks!
joeg182
2/23/18

CARING.COM IS A SCAM COMPANY. DO NOT USE!!! THEY WILL CONTINUE TO HARASS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. MONEY HUNGRY COMPANY!!!

Response from Denise G., Caring.com Representative
Hi Joe, Caring.com offers its phone-based and online information and resources free of charge to family caregivers and older adults in need of senior care support. We are a legitimate organization (not a scam), and will honor any consumer's request to be removed from any emails or phone calls they mistakenly signed up for, or would like to discontinue for whatever reason. Please get in touch as soon as possible so we can help you as needed: https://www.caring.com/about/contact
alexat5
2/22/18

Reviews on this website are irrelevant because they only want first head experience from the prior 3 years. What about people who submit a review who have lived there past the 3-year threshold? Old memories never die. They rejected my review because it was beyond the three-year threshold. It does not matter.

Response from Denise G., Caring.com Representative
Hi Alexa, Thanks for your feedback. You're correct that our review guidelines specify that we welcome reviews with firsthand feedback of the listed business' services within 3 years of the review submission. There are several reasons for this guideline, and we'd be happy to discuss it further with you via our Reviews service team at community@caring.com. Based on extensive website usage and survey data we have: reviews on our site are definitely relevant and helpful to senior care searchers looking for a senior living community or in-home care agency for their loved one right now. Please do get in touch if you have any additional questions or feedback for us. Thanks!
gregorym58
2/5/18

I have worked in the senior care field for over 10 years. Working with many Senior Living Communities of varying levels of care (and many independent) I have witnessed some wonderful and some that leave me horrified. I have left reviews on many sites, and keep my comments objective, encouraging families to research facilities, visit unannounced, and contact the governing state agencies to determine any violations, and whether those violations impact resident/patient care.
I have tried to leave reviews multiple times through Caring.com, mostly with positive reviews of facilities who deserve the recognition, as well as one facility that was a poor review. Each time I have written a review, I have refrained from naming staff, positions, or anything identifiable- rather referring to regulations and state codes, again, encouraging families to "dig deeper" as they research housing/assistance for their loved one. Each time I have been responded to with statement that my review was not being used as it did not meet their guidelines. What a shame- as I read the reviews that have been allowed it is clear that they pick and choose, with no consistency to their standards and guidelines. Shame on you Caring.com. You have made it about the money, and not about the caring.

Response from Denise G., Caring.com Representative
Hi Gregory, Thanks for your feedback, and please do get in touch directly with Caring.com's reviews team to discuss further why your review(s) have been rejected: community@caring.com.

Generally speaking, reviews on Caring.com can be positive, negative, or in-between, and are published or rejected based on these Review Guidelines: https://www.caring.com/about/review_guidelines

As you'll read in those guidelines: Ours is a consumer review platform that excludes reviews from current or former employees (and contractors, vendors, etc.) of the listed businesses. If your work in the senior care industry has included being paid by a senior living community or home care agency for your services (or earning referral fees from those businesses, or otherwise having a conflict of interest), then, yes, you'd be excluded from posting a review on the listing(s). The family caregivers and older adults who use our reviews to research senior living communities or in-home care agencies are most interested in hearing from folks just like them (who don't have a vested financial interest or possible conflict of interest in publishing a negative or positive review of the senior care business). We apply this policy consistently across all reviews we receive.

Also: it is free of charge to participate in the Caring.com reviews program -- for both the reviewers leaving feedback, and for the businesses being reviewed. It is very much a part of our social mission, and we do hope you'll get in touch directly with us again if any further explanation is needed about why your reviews were rejected (or if you need referral to other resources where you can publish or share your feedback about the senior care businesses you've worked with).
ericn44
1/19/18

I was trying to call a business directly, but caring.com's number was associated. I asked them about contacting the business they wouldn't tell me and said if I'm not interested in their services... then hung up. Wow!

Response from Denise G., Caring.com Representative
Hi Eric, We'd like to gather more specific information about the experience you described, such as the telephone number you dialed to reach us, and if available: the name of the person you spoke with. Our team can also assist you in finding the contact information for the senior care business you referenced (what you described is contrary to our standard operating procedures -- if we have the business' contact info, we definitely provide it). Please get in touch with our customer service team for further assistance and ask for Denise G.: community@caring.com. Thanks!
janisp10
1/8/18

I tried to contact a senior living facility online, but ended up getting a call back from caring.com. I did not want to work with them from the beginning, but they were very pushy. I was already working with a similar service to find a senior living facility. None of these services do anything more than what you can do yourself. It's pretty easy to just search the internet and find the same places they will tell you about. But be careful, sometimes you think you are contacting a facility directly, but you end up with caring.com or another service.

I started getting emails and phone calls from someone from caring.com to find out if I had found my mom a place and I kept reminding them I really didn't need their service since they weren't giving me any information I didn't already have.

My mom's situation changed and she ended up living with me. When caring.com called again for an update of my mom's living situation, I told them she was living with me. They called 2 more times and sent 2 emails, I gave them the same information again. Then about a month later, they texted me (really?) for an update.

Getting a text message was very annoying, especially when I have given them a status several other times. Don't bother with this service when they don't provide any useful information anyway.

Response from Denise G., Caring.com Representative
Hi Janis, It sounds like you may have submitted an online inquiry on a page in Caring.com's senior care directory -- that's a common way that family caregivers get called back from Caring.com when trying to reach a senior living community they've read about online. There's a link on those website forms that explains we'll be calling when you submit your contact info, but unfortunately some folks miss that link and info. If you're still receiving any emails or phone calls from Caring.com that you'd like to unsubscribe from, please email community@caring.com for assistance (ask for Denise G.). Beyond our referral services: Caring.com has numerous expert articles on a range of senior care topics, online support groups, and a consumer reviews program. You can access those resources free of charge without getting text messages or calls from us about referral to a senior living community.
cathye17
8/23/17

I wrote a review of Sacred Heart in Saucon Valley, PA to alert consumers of this company's discriminatory practices and Caring.com would not post the review. Remember... the retirement communities who advertise on this site keep caring.com in business. Caring.com does not care about seniors or the families who advocate for them.

Response from Denise G., Caring.com Representative
Hi Cathy, You're correct that senior care businesses advertise on our website so that we can provide 100% of our services, information and support free of charge to family caregivers and older adults (as part of our social mission). However, our reviews processors don't look at whether or not the business being reviewed is an advertiser or not -- the review guidelines are applied fairly across all reviews and all listings.

We are happy to discuss with you the specific reasons your review was rejected, and provide information to help you submit a review that is within these guidelines: https://www.caring.com/about/review_guidelines Please contact community@caring.com for assistance. I believe this is the listing where you submitted your review: https://www.caring.com/local/assisted-living-facilities-in-center-valley-pennsylvania/sacred-heart-senior-living Be sure to include that link in your follow up message to community@caring.com to help expedite service to you. Thanks!
harolds60
8/23/17

when you make and post an honest observation they will refuse to post it on their site if it is a negative review and will quote policies that don't even apply to the post like it was "libelous" ("many Emergency vehicles at his facility daily. Heed others comments on here about ignoring patients until its too late"). How can an observation be "libelous".

Response from Denise G., Caring.com Representative
Hi Harold, Currently there are tens of thousands of negative (1-star and 2-star) reviews published on our website from family caregivers and older adults who were able to share their honest observations and opinions within these guidelines: https://www.caring.com/about/review_guidelines Please do get in touch with community@caring.com to learn the specific reason(s) your review was rejected and explore if/how you can submit a review within the guidelines. Ask for Denise G. Thanks!
ninav16
6/20/17

I have been to the Astoria after three surgeries for rehab. I find the staff very friendly and the facility very accommodating. The Rehab department is excellent!! They work very hard to help you reach your goals.. I have also been there for outpatient Rehab and the same is true. I know I will have to have surgery in the future on my knees and shoulder and I wouldn't think of going anywhere else.. Nina Votolato

vink8
6/14/17

Don't give this company your contact information unless you like being called repeatedly until you pick-up. Typical aggressive lead-generation farm - do your own research.

patb104
5/16/17

My 88 year old father got kicked out of his assisted living arrangement with no notice just as he was about to get out of rehab and go back. When we went to move his stuff out two days later, we found that we were already locked out of his apartment. These people are criminals and caring.com wouldn't post my review of them. This is something that people need to know. Caring.com said that they could get sued for defamation if they posted my review. Why even ask for reviews if they are afraid to post them? Shame on Merrill Gardens in Madison, Alabama for doing that to seniors, and shame on Caring.com for not presenting the truth when people submit it.

Response from Denise G., Caring.com Representative
Hi Pat, We publish negative reviews that meet these Review Guidelines: https://www.caring.com/about/review_guidelines There are currently tens of thousands of negative (1-star or 2-star) reviews published in our directory that met those guidelines. The reviewers themselves are legally liable for the content they publish on our site, and in some cases, can face defamation or libel lawsuits for the opinions they express publicly in the reviews. Thus, our review guidelines and rejection of potentially defamatory and libelous reviews can help family caregivers and older adults avoid such legal action from being brought against them. "These people are criminals" is a very serious allegation/accusation you've made against a senior living community's staff, and crimes against seniors should be reported to law enforcement and offline senior advocacy organizations, such as the long-term care ombudsman, for further investigation and prosecution if the criminal allegation is found to be accurate. For further information about Caring.com's reviews program, or for referral to information and resources for appropriately addressing concerns about an assisted living community, please contact community@caring.com. Thank you!
timt79
5/7/17

They do not want honest reviews of nursing homes on their list, Like most people would like to see. They only post the "rosy" little reviews that cater to the nursing homes. I tried posting twice to let others know what to expect for their loved ones if they go into certain places, and they would not post them. Fake dishonest reviews.

Response from Denise G., Caring.com Representative
Hi Tim, You didn't mention which nursing home you were reviewing, so I wasn't able to research the specific reason(s) your review submissions were rejected. I'm happy to do so though if you email community@caring.com and provide the specific provider and/or email address you used for the review submission.

In general: Reviews on Caring.com can be positive, negative, or in-between, and are published or removed based on these Review Guidelines: https://www.caring.com/about/review_guidelines Right now, in our skilled nursing directory alone, there are more than 10,000 negative (1-star and 2-star) reviews published. So it is possible for family caregivers and older adults to publish negative, honest reviews of nursing homes on Caring.com, if and when they read and heed the review guidelines. Please contact community@caring.com for further assistance. Thanks!
ryanm146
2/21/17

I own a Home Care agency. Just like "A Place For Mom", they are just selling leads...they don't care about you. Do your own research on facilities and home care agencies...ever heard of Google?!?!

melindas28
2/16/17

I signed up to receive a listing of assisted living places in my area...that's all I wanted. Almost instantly they started calling and calling and calling. I spoke with the lady from the first call and she gave me a few places in the price range I needed along with an appt to visit the place. After that the calls didn't stop....2, 3, 4 times a day. I asked them twice to stop calling, and that I got the info i needed. When I would answer it was an Indian woman, so no doubt they weren't even in this country. Now I am receiving texts!! So displeased with this service. Take my advice and do the research yourself!

Response from Denise G., Caring.com Representative
Hi Melinda, We provide extensive lists and information about assisted living communities on our website without requiring the family caregiver or older adult to submit their contact information. Typically a family caregiver or older adult does submit their contact information when they do want our help finding a senior living community, and we do follow up to help them as quickly as possible. Our referral process also explains and includes connecting that family caregiver and older adult to senior living communities, who are likewise going to follow up via phone and/or email to provide the requested information. We're happy to look into your case further directly with you. Please contact community@caring.com for customer service. We'd appreciate the opportunity to research how your inquiry was handled, and see if there was anything we could do to improve your experience with our free senior care support.
mariej34
1/19/17

They couldn't help me when we needed them, now 3 months later after my mothers death they are still calling to find her a place. This is just horrible customer service!
I have left several messages to the corporate office and nobody has called me back. They just want the money..DO NOT USE THEM!!

Response from Denise G., Caring.com Representative
Marie, I'm sorry for the delay in responding to your review. Should you still be grieving the loss of your mother, we offer supportive information and resources here (free of charge and without being called or emailed by us): https://www.caring.com/grief

If you are still receiving any phone calls or emails from us that you'd like to unsubscribe from, please contact community@caring.com and provide the telephone number being called or email being sent messages, and I'll follow up to make the adjustments to unsubscribe those. -Denise G. @ Caring.com
shawnw42
6/8/16

Old friend of your spent some time at this location. It was so good to see him and he was pleased also, didn't asked much about what was going on. I did asked if he was being treated nice and feeling better since leaving the hospital

kp66
4/28/16

Very serious concerns about "caring.com" .. important, accurate information posted on that site (and they refused to post it) and the attempted post was based on personal experience and facts easily and PUBLICLY noted about a horrible nursing home and instead, they kept posting more and more good reviews of the horrible nursing home where an elderly person was actually abused and it was even caught on camera. I am hoping that people will join and get a class action lawsuit against them. They can claim their "policies" but that does NOT mean they should post in ways that eventually show in total, MISLEADING information, when it also includes NOT posting more of the negative posts and posting more of the positive ones. I have seen them fight and fight to keep an accurate negative review OFF the site and instead keep posting good reviews making a nursing home with a very poor history sound good.

Response from Denise G., Caring.com Representative
Hi K P., Caring.com publishes consumers' negative reviews that meet these Review Guidelines: https://www.caring.com/about/review_guidelines You referenced that there is some "misleading information" on our website -- please do contact community@caring.com and tell us exactly where on our site you're seeing that information and why it is factually inaccurate. If you're referring to other consumers having a positive opinion of the nursing home you consider "horrible": each reviewer has and is entitled to his/her own opinion. We don't take down a positive review due to a different consumer having a negative review (or vice versa: we don't take down a negative review because other consumers had a positive experience/review). Each review is judged on its own merits against the guidelines. If you think a positive review currently published on our website doesn't meet the review guidelines: please do let us know which review and provide to us the substantiating information you have to support that opinion/allegation. We don't want inaccurate reviews in our directory, and will follow up to re-evaluate any reviews as needed. Thanks!

Hi Jose, I'm not seeing a question here. If you do have a question about referral billing, please get in touch with clientservices@Caring.com. Thanks!

By Denise G., Caring.com Representative

Hi Parm W., You can contact community@caring.com at any time to retract or change any prior reviews you submitted.

By Denise G., Caring.com Representative

Hi Margaret, It's not clear what you mean by "my care account", but if you're trying to join our referral network as a senior care business, please email listing-support@caring.com. If you're trying to participate in our online community (as a family caregiver), please email community@caring.com. Thanks!

By Denise G., Caring.com Representative

Hi Margaret, It's not clear what you mean. Please get in touch with community@caring.com so that we can gather more details on what you're seeking to do and direct you to the correct parties to assist. Thanks!

By Denise G., Caring.com Representative

Hi Henry, Caring.com doesn't have access to "all of your personal information" and doesn't "sell" an individual's contact information to other companies. When family caregivers or older adults contact us for referral to a senior living community or in-home care agency, we do collect your contact information for that business to get in touch with the information you requested from them. If you have any further questions about how the referral services work, do get in touch with our team at community@caring.com. Thanks!

By Denise G., Caring.com Representative
Questions? Get answers from the Caring.com staff and other customers.

Caring.com?