Review of BikesDirect

bd4salesteam@aol.com
2017 Customer choice award

michaels17
11/6/10

After visiting a couple local bike shops and getting sticker shock i decided to go online.I purchased a hybrid bike from bikesdirect.com.I chose the windsor stratford.At nearly 60% off retail it seemed to good to be true!I am new to biking and I love this bike!Fast delivery,easy to assemble.Overall a great experience!I will purchase from bikesdirect again!

alanc3
10/28/10

Bikesdirect.com delivers! There are many reviews out there and I feel compelled to add my 2 cents for what its worth. I have been bicycling for for well over 35 years, everything from a coast to coast tour, mountain biking, and racing. My last new road bike was about 20 years ago and last year I got the itch for a new set of wheels. I went to a few bike shops and none of them had anything that compared to what Bikes Direct offers. Either they had to re-build a bike or order one or I just didn't want to pay a lot of money for a bicycle with components that didn't quite cut it for me.

The Motobecane Le Champion Titanium with Durace groupo that I purchased from Bikes Direct saved me about $1000 and got me into a great bicycle!

If you don't mind doing a bit of basic assembly, you can save a lot of money and get more bike than you dreamed of!

fritzv
9/16/10

I just recieved my 2011 Motobecane Super Strada, sram apex group equipped road bike. This is my second bicycle purchase over 5 yrs. I don't have many miles on it yet (only 200 miles) I've had it for a week. I did change the stem for a more relaxed position due to physical limitations. No need to do any contact after purchase. Everything came as stated. No problems at all,, shifts great, ride is smooth, ready to ride after an hour after receiving it. Compared to my buddy who just purchased a Specialized Raubaix , same componets (carbon) for $2000. it is equally as good. Even bettier considering the wheel set on the Strada and just as light...

elpaj
7/26/10

kooooooool

moef
7/25/10

I saw the numerous reviews of bikesdirect here on SJ so I decided to give them a try and they really are much cheaper. It is very easy to assemble the bike out of the box and I don't see how people are paying a bike shop to do this...so simple. The parts are very good quality too.

michaelk6
7/10/10

The price is very good. The delivery time was very good. Unfortunately, my bike was delivered with a faulty shifter. After four days of emails, I was told that Bikes Direct basically had no responsibility for the equipment and that I should send the bad part back to Shimano for replacement. To me, this is like buying a new car that has non-working transmission and being told by the dealer to send the transmission back to the manufacturer.

If you buy here and the bike arrives functioning as it should, it's great. If you get some defective part on your bike, good luck. You're on your own.

adamw3
7/3/10

Bikesdirect is an on-line bike shop. As such they have less personal service. However, they have much lower prices than a local bike shop. I saved well over $2000 by buying from them.
I shopped long and hard for a top level road bike; I liked the carbon bikes I rested; but I really was concerned about their durability. So I decided I wanted Titanium - which is the most expensive material used on bikes.
A Dura-Ace or RED equipped Ti road bike was over $6000 everywhere I looked - except bikesdirect. I decided to try a Motobecane le Champion Ti Team which was only $2800 with full DuraAce.
Best purchase I have ever made. Fantastic quality; incredible ride, super components and lots of money left in my pocket.

I asked bikesdirect several questions via e-mail. Responses were quick and professional. Once I decided to order; it was easy and my bike shipped the next day. I received a quick confirmation e-mail with tracking number. My bike came in perfect condition in a brand new box.

A boxed bike takes a bit of time to setup. I decided to go slow and be thoughtful in unpacking and setup. Within about 1 hour I was ready to go and off on my new bike.
I can not understand how the overall experience could be better. And I love my bike.

bobc3
6/21/10

A great forum for prospective bike buyers.

mattg5
6/5/10

They are cheap bikes. I had a few problems with my bike - after seeing such great reviews. 1) You can't call and talk to a live person nor will they call you back. 2) Their email address are personal accounts 3) I had a problem with my frame (broke) and they basically said it was my fault and never called me back. I learned my lesson! PS: I suggest buying from a reputable name you know and can trust!

alberth1
5/22/10

I really thought the prices on this site were just too good to be true. I mean how can they sell New Kestrels for less than half what a local shop charges.

So I looked around a lot to see what might be wrong with bikes direct. Then I came cross the BBB site and info was very positive - Bikes Direct is rated A+ by BBB and that is good enough for me.

I ordered a Kestrel Evoke - saved $1500 - it came in perefect brand new in the oroginal Kestrel box.

Hey - what can I say? bikes direct saved my $1500

daniell12
5/14/10

I've been on the market for a new/cheap/sturdy bicycle to ride in the city for transportation purposes. I consulted with my cousin, who is a professional cyclist, and he said that bikesdirect.com has unbelievable deals on any kind of bicycle you can think of. They may not all be name brand, but they are solid bikes. Definitely better than getting one at Wal-Mart or Target.
I'm now getting a mountain bike for $399 that's actually worth $899.
I highly recommend this site if you're looking to save some money on a great bicycle.

gettyh
5/3/10

Insane deals on this website. I saved over $3000 on a titantium bike from bikesdirect. And they have super deals on all levels of bikes. A friend of mine got a road bike for only $299 new from them and it is surprisingly nice and for $299 it is just fantastic.

johnk5
2/26/10

Anyone doing their homework will see that Bikes Direct has the best deals anywhere on bikes. In my quest, I decided on the Motobecane Le Champ SL Titanium road bike. The bike cost me $1,999. I compared it to a virtually identical (same frame material and design and same Ultegra 6700 parts, similar quality wheels etc) bike sold by MOOTS at just over $7,000.

I struggled in trying to decide between the 56cm and the 59cm frame...seemed my measurements put me in between these two for the theoretical "perfect" fit. I ended up choosing the 59cm. I'm 6'0" tall with 34.5" inseam.

Bike arrived 4 days after placing the order in perfect condition. I assembled the bike and put it on my trainer to fine tune the fit.....then realized it was just a bit too big (long in the TT). Now I was a bit nervous as to how BD would handle my request to swap it for the 56cm size....the normal fears of buying something expensive on the internet.

Well, if they could have handled my request any better, I can't imagine how.
-First, they picked up on the first or second ring when I called.
- Second, they gave me absolutely no hassle whatsoever with my request to swap bikes.
- Third, they saved me about $100.00 in UPS cost by charging me $40 and emailing me the bar-code label (going directly to UPS would have cost $139 for the same ground shipping).
- Fourth, they didn't even wait until receiving the returned bike before shipping out the new one .... this certainly Exceeded my expectations .... they simply waited for the UPS tracking status to show that the returning bike was on its way and then shipped my new bike out to me.
- Fifth, they didn't charge me for shipping the replacement bike (which I would have thought was reasonable since the fitting error was really more my fault than theirs).

Bottom line from my experience...not only are their deals INCREDIBLE on bikes....but their Customer Service is Absolutely Top Notch. LOVE dealing with an outfit like this one......I will definitely be recommending them to friends and would buy from them again in a heartbeat.

05/03/10 Update: I've put 500+ miles on the bike in the last 2 months and continue to love it. My 22 yr old son bought a Windsor Fens from BD a few weeks ago and is really enjoying that bike as well.

John
Michigan

sallyb
12/12/09

I love this site - I was able to get a quality brand name bike new for less than I found nasty old used bikes for on craigslist.

A new Motobecane Road Racing bike for $429 delivered !!! Super bike; looks great; rides great.

what can I say? I love bikesdirect

patl
12/4/09

bikes direct has great deals. I got a Mercier kilo WT for about $400 less than an equal bike in a bike shop.

with deals like bikes direct online - I am unsure why anyone would buy in a shop

service was great to - i say give bikes direct a try - you will probably love your bike and deal

andya
11/2/09

I BOUGHT AN XTR MOUNTAIN BIKE WITH A SID FORK FOR UNDER $1600 AND THE SAME BIKE WOULD HAVE COST OVER $4000 IN A BIKE SHOP.

REALLY A GREAT BIKE
PLUS FOR AN ONLINE SHOP THE SERVICE AT BIKES DIRECT WAS FANTASTIC - ANSWERED ALL MY QUESTIONS, SHIPPED AT NCE, NEW BIKE IN FACTORY FRESH BOX

WHAT MORE COULD YOU WANT?

henrys
11/1/09

I really wanted a new road bike -- but all dealers in my area had only bikes from $900 and up. I found a great road bike on bikesdirect for $399 and got free shipping and paid no sales tax.

turns out this bike is the same as bikes my local shops sell for about $1000

Needless to say, I am very happy. The bike has been great and I love it.

buyers should note: bikes come in a box and it takes about an hour to setup.

phillips
9/27/09

I have purchased 2 bikes from bikesdirect. Both were excellent deals. you have to setup the bike when it arrives; but that only takes about 30 minutes. Well worth it when you save hundreds of dollars off buying in a bike shop.

trevorm
9/6/09

I'm a cycling nut and this website has some killer deals on road bikes. I picked up an aluminum frame fixie for under $400 with shipping. Not bad!

joem1
8/23/09

Bought a triathlon bike from Bikesdirect a few mos ago. Can NOT beat the deal I got. Site is 100% legit. Bike came in a box and I had to put together myself....which was ez. Took to a bike shop for a tuneup too b/c gears were skipping, but minor adjustment and all good. Performed great, no issues! Great bike, incredible deal, I am upgrading to all carbon soon...and that bike will DEFINITELY come from bikesdirect. Hope I have the same experience again...

bradk
8/11/09

You can get a Titanium bike with top of the line shimano parts for a FRACTION of the cost of buying Trek or Giant. I could not believe the great parts that come with these bikes and to get it with titanium is a dream. FYI, I got a titanium mountain bike that weights in under 24 lbs, that would cost $5K and up from a brand name manufacturer.

dylonp
8/11/09

I know many who know bikes will look at the component specs on these bikes and will not believe it. It is too good to be true, but the bikes do ship with the real parts and that just goes to show you how much bikes are marked up in the retail stores. This is the real deal. Solid frames, awesome parts, and fast delivery. The only thing is you need some basic knowledge of bikes to assemble them. Or just take it to your local bike shop.

tonyl
5/31/09

OMG...a full carbon frame bike that weights 18 lbs for a little over $1K?!?! Is this for real? All Shimano Ultegra parts? The ritchey wheels alone retail for about $300. This website seems almost too good to be true, but if you actually get the bike they say you do, then it is a killer deal.

I would recommend that you think about a hybrid bike first, as the tires are larger & the 26 inch wheels are a bit stronger. Also, you will be more comfortable riding on an upright position. If you like it, use it to loose weight while saving for a decent road bike.

By Jeffrey H.

No. the bike should come ready to ride.

By Dwight W.

Hi - the bike depends upon the type of riding you want to do and what you want out of riding. Do you want comfort? Durability? Speed? More upright riding position? Definitely want to look at bikes with larger tires as they would be more comfortable. The CycleCross type bikes are fast but have a bit larger tires for more durability and comfort than a skinny tire road bike. Check out the OmniStrada which have knobbier and larger tires than the regular cross bikes. They also have top tech tubeless compatible rims which you can easily convert with sealant and kit to being virtually flat free :) Check them out: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/cross_bikes.htm

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative

It depends on which bike you order. I also had to assemble and adjust the rr deraileur and break calipers. If you are not going to be home when it's delivered you can go to ups website and sign in advance. Ups will send you notifications before and when it arrives.

By william d.

I don't know of an municipality that requires you to register it.

By Alan F.

I think I paid about $55.00 or so. The bike turned out beautifully, it was a gift to my College student son and he loves it.

By Bobby D.

Shop costs vary...50 - $100 for assembly...... Yes, I have found my bike to be right on the numbers as far as weight....

By Chris P.

Here are some good assembly videos showing a mountain bike and a road bike. It's pretty easy- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OPLfsDliEk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUlRjaJWyo4

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative

"PERFORMANCE BIKES" ARE A GREAT CHOICE. FOR EXAMPLE, I BOUGHT A ROAD & GRAVEL 18 SPEED WITH A STURDY STEEL FRAME AND DISK BRAKES FROM THEM WHICH WAS $100 LESS (INCLUDING SHIPPING) THAN "BIKES DIRECT'S" ALUMINUM TUBING BIKES THAT WEIGH AS MUCH (OR MORE!). CHECK OUT THE BRITISH BRAND "CHARGE PLUG" (HA! AWFUL NAME) AT PERFORMANCE WHICH COMES WITH ALL THE TOP-OF-THE-LINE COMPONENTS PLUS STEEL FRAME AND WEIGHS JUST 24 POUNDS. ALSO I LIKE THIS BIKE BECAUSE WITH A SIMPLE $34 PART-CHANGE (ON THE REAR-WHEEL) IT'S GEARED FOR STEEP HILL-CLIMBS.

By INGRID P.

hi - if you are having trouble purchasing, please call us 9 to 5pm Eastern time, M-Fri 904-249-2453 to place an order :) Yes, we do take paypal and most major credit cards as well :)

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative
Questions? Get answers from the BikesDirect staff and other customers.

BikesDirect?