Review of Beckett Media

Tel: 855-777-2325
ecommerce@beckett.com

marcusl58
1/23/19

I grew up with Beckett magazine to look up current pricing. Twas a good mag. The site; however: when I first signed up you could see your organizer and all that it contained (without the price values), now if you don't pay for a service you no longer have access to your database or collections in your organizer. I called cs and went around with them, asked the guy a simple question: "So unless I pay for a service I can't even see my organizer, my collections, or the or the cards they contain?" the cs had me to wait, when he came back on and kept going over the pricing and subscription info. I said to him "you can't give me a straight answer? a simple "yes or no"? again he attempts to go over the pricing of subscriptions, again I asked him the same question, this time he tells me he "can't answer a manipulative question" - now how the hell is that a "manipulative question"? This site (and company in my opinion) should be blacklisted, bankrupt, put down and shot like a lame dog. Poor business ethics, poor "sucker (customer) service"! Trash Site! ... ::fuming:: I have right under $300,000 in cards in my organizer/collections and I can't even access it to see them, I'm not needing the pricing values, just to be able to see my database. >:( :( ...p.s. the only reason I gave it a 1 star rating is because SiteJabber wouldn't let me submit the review without doing so, if I had it my way (as I wanted to do) NO STAR!

darrenl69
11/15/18

I would not recommend Beckett to anyone. The site is confusing, does not work well, and they tie you into expensive subscriptions. Their customer service is awful, all they want is your money and they can care less about your satisfaction. Avoid this company

johns3273
10/5/18

I wanted to purchase a price guide and accidentally purchased the organizer (thinking it would give me prices as I organized). The next day, when I realized it wasn't what I wanted, I purchased the price guide I wanted and asked for a refund for the organizer which I didn't want. They refused!

alanc220
8/5/18

I just received your September issue and the only thing that is going up in value is every single Trout card. That's $#*!ing bull $#*!!! There are plenty of players killing it it like: JD Martinez, Mookie Betts, Scooter Gennet, and the most under estimated player of all year: Jean $#*!ing Segura. Beckett is a lame ass source for valuing cards. Plus they're out sourced to some place in Malaysia. What in $#*! do they know?? $#*! off!

anthonyb336
8/3/18

I have used Beckett for both grading and their price guide. I too have been victim of their auto subscriptions and refusal to refund. They call and email almost non stop trying to push their price guide. The guide itself is outdated (as it must be with the sheer number of items they list) and it's oh so much easier to get prices from sold items on ebay. Because they never scaled their grading business they are months behind on guaranteed orders which they will of course not refund for not meeting their deadlines. They need to shape up quickly before they get left behind!

samm300
7/26/18

I ordered a bronze package and when I asked about the submission form and I was a little confused I was told this
Bronze package has a free grading for a 10 day turn around service, however since we suspended the 10 day service we suggest to hold it off until our 10 day service is back. Submission under this package is valid for 1 year.
On the other hand, we have a non-guaranteed turn around service which would take 9 10 minimum to complete. $10 per card. You also have other options to choose from, 5 day service at $30 per card and 2 day at $40 per card.
After paying 117 for this service and now not available they still will not refund my money.

jayg111
5/11/18

The site has no instructions so unless you know every abbreviation it's basically useless. Also, 80% of the cards that I looked up did not have prices or pictures

joshuab121
2/19/18

Beckett's website is very hard to use and is missing many prices for cards they should have. They auto renewed me and wouldn't reverse the charges when I called them.

rond214
1/21/18

I would like to start by saying Beckett has a lot of potential and in a sweet spot of an industry that's finally gaining ground. The problem is they are doing a really bad job at running the business. The website updates are slow and antiquated. The UI/UX needs to be completely redone from scratch which would be a huge undertaking. They are going in too many directions so have lost focus. Customer service is rude and pushy. Salespeople are way more interested in making sales than they are about having a happy customer so as I would imagine their customer retention rates have to be poor.

I WAS a customer and decided to renew and upgrade my service. The upgrade also included 6 BGS gradings. After some time I decided to use my 6 grading submissions but I couldn't find any place on the web form to enter the free code. I left 4 messages over the course of a month asking for someone to please contact me about this issue. I never got one response so had to call them. The gentleman that answered the call informed me that the BGS submissions expired after 1 year and I was two months past my expiration date. I explained my issue to him letting him know that I was trying to submit them but the website was very unclear and had no directions as to how I could use my prepaid credits. The next words out of his mouth were, "I see your membership has expired and I could certainly give you a deal if you want to sign up again"! My immediate thought was are you kidding me? I said so you don't want to help me with the $99 I paid for BGS submissions I have now lost but you want to try and sell me something else. His answer, "well there nothing I can do about them because you are past your due date but I can help you buy another BGS package.

To end my torture speaking to such a poor salesperson with zero understanding what customer service even means, I simply said. I'm sorry but I'm most certainly not going to spend money with a company who just stole $99 from me without even an I'm sorry. His final answer to that was, "OK well then have a nice day." and he hung up.

Sadly I would have signed up for another full year of their top subscription level had they handled things correctly. All I can say is this. Beckett, you have a great opportunity with very little competition and a great product but if you don't get your act together no one is going to care. Someone is going to come along that is really trying and they are going to kill your business. You don't have to believe me but I'm telling you that you need to listen to what I am saying.

edk37
1/4/18

I ordered the hockey price guide and a baseball almanac during a promo for buy one get one thru their website.
They sent me the hockey guide and a football guide. Spoke with customer service and they said they had almanac when I placed order but did not have it when they pulled order. ????? Rep said they sent me football guide instead. He told me to return football guide ( I pay for return postage) and put a note on guide on what guide I would like instead of the one I ordered . I said I did not want another - I ordered a baseball almanac. If they were out of them the order should not have gone thru. I would not have purchased anything if I knew they had no almanacs. It is just a scam having a buy one get one when you don't get what you ordered. Will never deal with Beckett again.

jamesb627
12/27/17

I sent (1) Fathers Day AAron Judge card and (1) Mothers Day card to be graded. They sent back (2) graded cards both with the title of Mothers Day. Simple typo mistake. No not with these guys , It's been 3 weeks and they still can't figure it out. Sent front and back scan of card but still nothing. One look at original order as compared to what they sent back and they should be able to figure it out.

myash
11/4/17

Beckett is the biggest scam! They will take FOREVER to grade your cards (told 5 months specifically for non-guaranteed service). If you don't spend your life savings with them, then they will always give you low grades. I've personally received cards graded 8.5 and when the cases were cracked and sent back again for grading (sent under a different graders account), many of them came back 9.5 and I've even seen a 10! I have before and after photos as proof! I am at the point of possibly contacting the feds about this as I have clear evidence of how they scam people! I've never tried PSA but I doubt they are scammers like Beckett!

therps
10/12/17

I have been dealing sports and non-sports cards for decades and spent thousands of dollars over the years for books and magazines, etc. I tried Beckett Grading to have my 1980 Marvel Super Heroes Stickers. $162 for 13 stickers. They spend months holding on to them to THEN say they thought these were suspect and not officially a Marvel item!! Fine. Since they don't know something as COMMON as Marvel items, just send them back and refund my money. Took a MONTH and had to do a BANK reversal to get my money back. Very condescending and rude customer service after THREE levels of asking for next level. The first three level of people had ZERO information on why my stickers were coming back. GMA and PSA have been MUCH MUCH better to work with for any and all grading.

joes720
10/9/17

Ticket ID: JHD-629-86231

All I wanted was a two week window to price some (2,000+) rookies I'm selling.

Then I see another charge on my card. Reporting it as fraud.

Should I even get into BCCG grading.

PSA for LIFE!

johnathanp9
5/4/17

I have been a customer of Beckett since I was 9-10 years old, about 21 years. I have never asked for any type of refund, until now. On 4/5/17, I purchased online what I thought was the same thing I had purchased many times before. This was online access to Baseball card price guide. Since my last yearly subscription had expired, Beckett had changed its price guide packages. In the past, you could get every year of baseball price guide for $81.00. Now, for $81.00 (minus the $1.62 discount I got for confirming my phone number) you only get the pre 1980 year, which is the exact opposite of what I collect. Immediately after I had made the purchase I realized something was wrong and called Beckett customer service. I was speaking to Alex Collins less than 5 minutes after I hit submit. He explained to me that I had to pay $99.00 more to add the post 1980 price guides. This is an over 100% price increase and I told him I was not interested in paying that much because it is WAY too much money for me to spend on a price guide. Basically, he told me all he would do is gave me 19 months of the post 1980, for the 12 month price of $99.00, but I also had to pay the $79.63 for the post 1980, bringing my total to $178.63. Again, a $97.63 price increase for the same services I was receiving a year ago is unacceptable to me, and something I am 100% not interested in. Beckett can charge whatever they want for their services. My problem is that I was speaking to Alex within 5 minutes that can be confirmed with the recorded conversation and they are unwilling to refund my $79.63. At this point I am over. Beckett and Beckett.com and WILL NOT do any future business with them. Their business model and practices are obviously below what I had always thought. I have gone from very nearly naming my 2nd child Beckett, to putting them on my "avoid at all cost" business list. In fact, this is only the 2nd time I have ever reached out to the BBB. That's how bothered I am. For them to deny me a refund before I used the service, before the charge has even cleared by bank, and within 5 minutes of selecting "purchase" is unacceptable. I didn't buy a custom made hair bow. Its an online service that literally no cost has been incurred by Beckett on.
I literally know hundreds and have access to THOUSANDS of other collectors that I am sharing my story with. I personally know 3 people who have already said they will not continue to do business with Beckett anymore and my goals to reach as many people as possible. This place has turned into a con. Beckett will "pay" for this one, whether they realize it or not.

Tip for consumers: If you want to test the customer services, call them and ask a couple questions about pricing and services.

glennc50
2/22/17

I used to enjoy working with Beckett. Not any more.. I signed up for a 99.00 bronze membership only to see I was peppered with daily calls to buy more and more.. In addition, I was billed 35.00 on an auto renewal to use their website.. That's what it costs to use their site per month. Are you kidding me? Card collecting has become a "pigs at the trough" enterprise... No more for me... Bye, bye Beckett.

curtl6
2/2/17

I (unfortunately) purchased a 1 year subscription for $99. Within minutes I realized what I had been sold was not going to meet my needs. I called their c/s and asked to quit my subscription and wanted a refund. They refused. I specifically told them I do not authorize any future automatic billing. A year rolls around and guess what? The jerks auto charged another $99! Don't do business with these thieves!!!

harrys90
1/8/17

The Star Wars price guide has so many products with no values listed. What good is a price guide with no values! On the back of the periodical it states "what's your Star Wars collection worth? Find out by reading this book!" How are you suppose to do that with no price values? Had I known how few values were listed, I would not have purchased the guide!

philips66
9/12/16

I signed up for a 1-month subscription to price my card collection. Little did I know that I was signing up for an indefinite subscription, FALSE ADVERTISING in my opinion. They automatically renew your subscription without knowing it, as they bury the "policy" in their Terms. I called and they will not refund my money. This falls into the category of deception, lying, and stealing. A evil, heathen, anti-human company. I will not support them again and I hope you won't either.

mikes320
9/24/15

I specifically opted out for auto renew and now Ive been charged more then the one month I wanted. Havent logged in at all to the service in the time I was over charged. I sent them an email and I get...

"Thank you for your email. We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

We request you to please help us with the reason for cancellation of subscription. If there is any problem you are facing with your subscription we will definitely get that fix for you.

However as per your request we have cancelled the auto renewal for your subscription.

So going forward your subscription will not get renewed automatically and your subscription is good till 09/23/2015 .

If you want to renew it further you can always call on our toll free no. 855-777-2325 or you can renew it by going on our website www.beckett.com .

Any feedback you have for Beckett will be appreciated. Feel free to write an email or call us on the toll free number mentioned below."

So I responded ...

"Hi thank you for looking into it. However, I only intended to use the service for one month and removed auto payment but payments still went through. I would like to be refunded for any payments after the initial payment as I did not log in once after the first month and I never intended to because I assumed that auto payment was removed and the subscription had expired."

They give me the final ...

"Thank you for your email. We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

We would like to inform you these Online Price Guide are non-refundable as per the terms.

Feel Free to write us email or call us on our toll free number mentioned below.

Regards
Ivy Smith
Customer Service Team
Beckett Collectibles, Inc
855-777-2325 Option 1"

Now, I call my credit card company as clearly they are doing this, what seems like a scam, on other people.
If this happens to you, call your credit card company! Dont let them steal your money.

Tip for consumers: Watch you credit card because they will put auto renew without telling you even if you opt out. They will then tell you that you can not get a refund.

charlesk32
4/15/15

just got the book in the mail and it only covers .25% of what is out there

and it does not cover 10 things from 2013-2014 wish tuff stuff was still up
and running

timothym37
7/28/14

Just purchased a 1 month subscription for the online price guide and the servers are so slow I cannot look up more then 4 items every half an hr

lauriee4
2/13/14

I was auto-renewed for baseball dynamic duo Nov '13. I cannot find anything that says I opted for auto-renew. I have received at least 3 notices recently asking if I want to renew because my subscription expires 1-1-2014. Called the # on one of these notices and was told I was an online subscriber and she couldn't help me. Called # for online accounts and was told I had opted for auto-renewal. I asked where I could see that on my account but he couldn't answer. My account is in fact NOT checked where it says auto renew. I asked for a refund and was told that was not possible for online accounts. I told him I did get the monthly magazine after which he told me I did not. We went back and forth about this a few times which was funny because I could see the stack of them from where I was sitting.

This account is only a part of the frustration I have been through just trying to get a simple refund. Customer service is in India which somehow seems contrary when dealing with a sports oriented company like Beckett. Baseball and apple pie and India? I'm not sure what is worse - the outsourcing of the call center or the totally unacceptable service you get from people with names like Michele who are very hard to understand. This poor service is not all the fault of the reps. They have to deal with a logistical nightmare with online vs print vs duo subscriptions and front numbers vs referred to numbers. Then there is the renewal date of the online part of a duo account (the date its ok to charge you) vs the date the renewal notice says your account expires (something to do with the paper copy that comes out a month or two after the other date, or something like that. Something tells me it just shouldn't be this hard. I definitely would not do business with this company!

jeremyb9
8/2/12

I signed up on December 29, 2011 for a ONE-MONTH subscription. I was never sent any e-mail notifying me that my account would auto-renew. I just noticed a credit card charge today and realized I had been charged for 7 additional months! What a joke and so sad to see a brand name, that I thought I could trust, ripping people off like this!!!

lukeep
2/3/12

I had the exact same problem as the reviewers mentioned--auto-renew errors. I specifically unchecked auto renew, but was charged for 8 months of unused subscriptions (granted I should haved double check this before 8 months). I called "customer service" and was basically told it was my error.

Its sad that a company that was a HUGE part of my childhood has turned into such a pathetic display. I used to get so excited when my Beckett arrived. I would love to see them crumble and be bought out by someone who cares and enjoys the hobby.

By Johnathan P.

Questions? Get answers from the Beckett Media staff and other customers.

1 Photo for Beckett Media