Review of AmeriGlide

Raleigh, NC 27610, US
naelsh50@yahoo.com

randyw126
12/30/18

Bought a curved stair lift and have had it about 3 months now. A somewhat long process as they had to send a tech to measure our stair case, make a CAD for our approval, then custom manufacture the unit for our home. The actual lift arrived about 30 days after we placed the order and they showed up a week later to install it.

Have to say it works perfect and we can now relax knowing our mother will not fall down the stairs. Outstanding product and would do it again.

genes111
10/11/18

Product was easy to order. Followed the stair measurement instructions per the website and the lifts fit well. Installed them myself (reasonable handyman skills with an adequate set of tools). The instructions included were very lacking as is mentioned many times in these reviews. I was able to use online videos to help figure out how to complete the installation. One note, the instructions state that you need a minimum of 2.5" space from the wall. At 2.5", the back of the chair rests against the wall and would rub as it transits. I mounted mine 4.0" from the wall and have about .5" clearance when the chair is occupied and transiting. This is due to the small amount of flex in the back of the chair when occupied. Frustrating install, but very sturdy. The pricing is lower than comparable units from other vendors. Overall very pleased with this stairlift.

troyo12
9/28/18

Overall for the price paid, I expected a system that was a little more refined, a lot of

the components come together like an amature cobled this thing together in their garage

to make it work. After installed it does work and seems to be adequately sturdy for its

purpose.

My lift arrived with the following problems:
-Final Limit Error - I immediately called my sales rep Danny Efron for assistance and he

quickly transferred me to parts, which went straight to voicemail, I left a message and

now, 2 days later still no response. Apparently once they get your money they're out of

the customer service business and you're on you own. Lucky thing I'm a retired

electronics tech and they do provide a wiring diagram. I found the problem with

adjustment of the Safety Gear Limit switch, not sure what that switch does, it's

attached to a bunch of levers and springs, I adjusted it until the error disappeared.
-I was missing the fused link that you are suppose to connect between the batteries, I

fabricated one.
-The lead that they included to connect the last battery to the power switch was too

short, I fabricated one of them as well.
-A big gouge in both halves of the rail, the gouge on the top rail is cosmetic, but the

gouge on the bottom rail was on the side of the rail which interfered with the passing

of the carriage assembly. I had to use a flat file to smooth out the guide roller

opening to allow smooth passage past that point.
-No hardware was sent to attach the upper rail end cap, I took a screw out of the bottom

cap and matched it a the hardware store, wouldn't you know, apparently the two rail

sections I received are from different extrusions, the holes for the upper cap are

larger in diameter than the bottom rail, a second trip back to the store for some

thicker screws.
-The power leads from off of the power supply that you are suppose to connect to the

rail already have the connectors crimped onto the wires. Pretty interesting when you

are suppose to thread this end of the wire through the cable gland on the rail, but it

is physically impossible to do that with the connectors already on the wire, I had to

cut them off, back to the hardware store for connectors and install new connectors after

the wire was threaded through the gland.
-After getting this thing to finally work, It would not charge, so I had to take it all

apart again (3rd time) only to troubleshoot it down to a blown 7.5a fuse on the

motherboard, a blown fuse on a tested unit, tested by NP on 23/3/17, notice the date of

2017, I'll get back to that below. Another trip to the hardware store for a fuse and

everything seems to work.
-Well almost... The remotes do not seem to work, no documentation other than how to

mount them to the wall is included. Not an important feature for me anyway.

As I mentioned my sales rep was Danny Efron, he was the most helpful person up until I

paid. Let me explain:

I needed this lift installed before my mother arrived to live with us, he assured me I

would have it delivered on the 13th, I was leaving on the 17th. I confirmed with him on

2 additional dates and got the same answer. Now shipping from North Caroline to my

location is 5-7 days ground via any carrier including freight. So on the 10th I again

inquired about shipping, got the same answer. So when it didn't show up on the 13th I

call again and now all of a sudden I'm not going to get it in time. This was when the

big storm hit NC, but this thing should have shipped the week before to be on time. I

had to depart to move my mother, and it was sitting here waiting when we returned, but

with all the problems I had getting this thing up and running (see comments above) it

took 3 days before my mother could use it, she was confined to the upstairs for 3 days

because I had to carrier her up the stairs and she did not feel safe being carried.
Take everything that Danny Efron tells you with a grain of salt, he's just into getting

your money. I purchased a used Horizon unit, he told me that they didn't have any used

units in stock and that I would be receiving a new unit... even better. But did you

notice the inspected by date on the used unit I did receive? March 2017? Yep, not in

stock since 2017! I received what I paid for, kind of, but just don't like being lied

to. I do have buyers regret not due to the quality of the lift, but due to the lack of

customer service. Be prepared to troubleshoot and fix this thing yourself, you'll be on

your own once you've paid, if you think that will be an issue for you, then you should

shop somewhere else.

robertr671
8/1/18

We design a 2 story system with 90 degree stops top, three 180 degree turns in between and a short 90 degree bottom to fit the built in stairwell. It took a few weeks more than they estimated, but Ameriglide team came through for every task. The kitted unit arrived on a 750 lbs. pallet air freighted from UK and delivered to our driveway in Virginia 2 days later. The install team were skilled and worked very hard to install very carefully with no mistakes. I ended up with a great system I am using many times per day since installed.

jamesm1302
6/4/18

As a 30 year experienced electrical engineer a home maintenance fan I felt this was within my abilities to install the unit myself.
The unit arrived partially assembled.
This is was a positive from the stand point that it would fit on a singe standard pallet and transported easily in a standard pickup.
The negative was this did not correspond to the assembly instructions so I did not need to open it as I assemble the outside lift table.
The negative was that the options I ordered (two remote control points) were not mentioned in the instructions (they were in the schematic drawings) and I thought they were mistakenly not included in the shipment.
The negative was I had to manually raise the lift (to assemble the lift table) with the hand crank unknowingly damaging the plastic remote control boxes that were loosely tie-wrapped to the moving mechanism inside the lift tower. This crushed the boxes enough to bend the box cover screws and pull the screw bosses out of the plastic. I had to rebuild one completely and reassemble the other.
After this I did remove the front cover of the tower and I noticed it was damaged (bent at the bottom) and I had to straighten the bend in order for the cover the fit properly.
Last the unit up limit switches would not allow me to reach the 48 inches I needed. The maximum height from the lift base to the limit switch max position was 47.5 inches. I would need to modify the unit to get this thing to meet the porch height of 48 inches. I decided my elderly mother could transverse the half inch difference. This was a negative since the documents read it would lift to 53 inches.
Last I tested the safety stops by placing a 5 gallon bucket under the lift table and it did crush the bucket slightly before stopping. This would really have hurt someone under it.
The negative was it would not raise up to free the obstruction. I had to use the hand crank when it was in this safety stop condition. Since this uses a DC motor a diode could have corrected this and whoever was on the lift could get off to remove the obstruction. You are stuck on it if the safety stop activates.

There are two very positive things I can say about this lift.
First, this lift is the mechanism is simple and reliable. In engineering terms this design simplicity corresponds to much better reliability (less to go wrong).
Second is the price. This was a very affordable option for my mother as having it professionally done would have easily costed $10K or more.
If you have a strong mechanical and electrical aptitude than I would install this on your own otherwise leave the frustration to an installation professional.

carolj146
5/31/18

I am very pleased with the service from Ameriglide The salesman was very helpful and answered all of my questions. I would recommend this company to anyone Thanks TImothy Worley for all the help And also they got the order out quickly

josephw190
5/28/18

Ameriglide wanted a large deposit right away to "start work" on a custom stairlift that they said would be delivered in 6 weeks. I have them $2,500 the save day. More than 2 weeks went by and nothing happened, so I emailed and called to cancel and get a refund. Crickets. Nothing happened until I called and spoke with someone else. Then I got a call back starting they would "start the refund process". Waited over a week for that, then disputed with my bank. Still waiting. Called another company and they showed to take measurements the next day. Obviously there is a difference in companies when it comes to customer service.

johnv188
4/20/18

Bought two units one for home and one for my office.The home unit had a bad switch was diagnosed by AmerGlide tech support a new unit was sent over nite along with phone help to install.Made the best of a problem.Unit works fine now.The unit purchased for my work was easy to install and instructions were excellent

randyc88
3/25/18

Product and price is good, however, installers were unprofessional with delay of over 4 hours from appointment time and lack of communication.

debbieh137
3/16/18

We ordered our stair chair, arrived promptly. My husband and a friend installed it. It works great and will keep our upstairs area availalable for years to come. We are very pleased with our purchase.

johnh851
3/8/18

19 days after ordering I finally received a defective unit. I had to replace a battery switch that was too short to reach the switch. The pinch bolts were too long and busted off the switch plate on the first run. The seat wobbled like a teeter totter because the shims were not supplied. I waited a week for replacement parts then returned the stair lift. It took one month to get a refund of 61% of my purchase price. They are very lackadaisical about returning calls or emails.

alexb263
12/28/17

this product was a great value, and the help i got was good, but could've been better, the person who helped me was very helpful, when i was able to reach them, or someone at their company, but as far as the product goes, its a good product. I had a handyman install it that was a slightly familiar with installations of this type, but it got done. Also the instructions were decent, but they look really out dated, it might be helpful to do a video of "common mistakes" so they can zoom in on certain things, because the video was taken from far away, not from close by. Overall would recommend it, came very fast, and hopefully i WONT have to take advantage of the 5 year warranty that comes with the product.

Tip for consumers: make sure you get the person you talk to so if you have questions you can contact them directly, i purchased the cargo lift.

charliew55
12/14/17

The engineering is excellent. The instructions are very understandable. Customer service is outstanding. The salesman, Sean, was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I installed it myself without a problem. Eventually, I will replace the bolts and screws with stainless since I am in a salt air environment. I took the extra step of placing wood spacers between steps and rail for extra stability. Rock solid product!!!

sharong111
12/4/17

I purchased a used stair glide for my husband and had my son-in-law install it. It was pretty straightforward as to installation and he had it done in a short time. I wish they had included a code guide with it as we had no idea what the various codes meant until I downloaded a user's guide from internet. I think this is a great option for people who cannot afford a new installation. It puts another assisstive tool in the hands of those who can use it. I have not had to call for repair yet, so I have not experienced that. The measurements requested were many, but the system fits perfectly.

jimb336
11/19/17

I bought a used one for my wife, on line, and had it installed by a long time trusted local contractor (never done one) in 1/2 day. He'd had to come back to run an electric line for it later.

Unit, shipping, install, and electric work was less than Ameriglode unit new and is perfect. The previous owner had passed and her son-in-law sold to us.

terryd60
11/16/17

I am a general contractor and not familiar with lift systems so I had my elevator sub contractor figure all that was needed to do the job . He spoke with the sales rep until we were satisfied that we would have everything that was needed to do the job.
The order was submitted. We received the lift within the time frame that we were told with nothing missing and no damages from shipping. The lift was installed in one day and the owner was thrilled. I would use AmeriGlide again.

annl94
11/9/17

Sadly, pihotis are also not an option here or I could show you the stack of boxes that have been piled in my house since mid October. Uninstalled, a total breach of contract, with nothing but hassle followed by zero communication from DelStal and Ameriglide.
They'll take your money, but not your calls...
I also wish I could show you a photo of the beautiful, American made stair lift that I had installed by Accessible Systems - 2 days from contacting them - we were riding upstairs!

larryh125
10/26/17

A STURDY, WELL DESIGNED PRODUCT. DELIVERED ON TIME, AND WELL PACKAGED. WRITTEN INSTRUCTIONS WERE WOEFULLY INADEQUATE.
IF NOT FOR (YOU TUBE) VIDEO, AND YEARS OF EXPERIENCE AS A RED NECK ENGINEER, I WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ABLE TO GET IT INSTALLED.
I ALSO CALLED EDDIE (THE VIDEO STAR) A COUPLE OF TIMES. HE WAS EXTREMELY HELPFUL. THE LIFT WORKS WELL, AND AT HALF THE COST OF A SIMILAR UNIT INSTALLED BY NEAREST DEALER.

jerryj57
9/28/17

I ordered the stair lift Horizon. It was deliver timely and was installed within two days. The installers were friendly and competent. The product is comfortable and works as advertised; i like the built-in safet features and the smooth operation.
The rep. Chris Johnson was friendly and made the entire purchase and install a breeze. I am a very satisfied customer and would highly recommend AmeriGlide to anyone who needs a quality, comfortable and affordable stair lift system.

lindas459
9/22/17

Can we give them a minus -10. Don't USE They sent us wrong lift their fault and took us 3 month and finally had to get manufacture to help us Do not order lifts on line No install help, parts or accountability. Tim was worst. Was great selling it but that was it.

garyv27
9/21/17

My stair lift came on time with all parts intact and installation guide that made it easy to install. Vince ,my salesman was very helpful and patient. Unit works fine and has taken a lot of worry over my mom using the stairs.

patriciao44
9/16/17

I contacted Ameriglide online after having no success with our local medical equipment provider in locating a reasonably priced outside stair lift installation. They were very friendly, informative, and reassuring. The local contractor they provided did an excellent job and the lift was installed quickly, efficiently, and $2000 cheaper then the local estimate. It works perfectly - even in our recent power outage of hurricane Irma - and we're 100% satisfied. Pat Osborn

rebekahr5
8/8/17

I read reviews on everything before I make a purchase. I did not do so in this case because I needed something right away. My husband has Vascular Parkinsonism and his walking/gait is very unsteady. On July 4, 2017 he fell off the back of a golf cart (we use it for our neighborhood - not golf). He landed on his right foot at an angle and broke the distal ends of the tibia and fibula in 3 places total. He had surgery to insert plate and pins and is in a cast for about 7 weeks with NO weight bearing on the broken leg. We live in a townhouse that has a drive under garage so there is a flight of stairs just to get up to the main part of the house where family room/kitchen/dining rooms are. I called Ameriglide and spoke with a man named Jaden and he was an exceptional sales person. I ordered the stair lift chair and it was installed a few days before my husband came home from rehab after 3 weeks. It was all under $3000 - including installation, parts, shipment, etc. The man who installed in travels all over the southern states and can install these with his eyes closed. He installed it in an hour. It is perfect for someone who can bear weight on one leg or the other or both. It would not work though for someone who cannot bear weight on both legs unless they can be lifted onto it by someone. The man who installed it gave me his personal contact information and will come to repair it whenever I need. He said most problems can be solved over the phone. An elevator would have cost around $28,000 and another dumb waiter type of option would have been $7-10,000. I am more than pleased with this product and also pleased with the sales, installation and quality of the product. I HIGHLY recommend this product.

michaelr352
7/15/17

They refuse to support or service their products, they will pass you around through voicemails and promise callbacks, you will not get them. Our stairlift is 3 years old, will not move, the diagnostic screen hasn't worked since it was installed, we have had nothing but problems since purchase. Ameriglide LOVES to steal money (about $10,000 for us) from the disabled and elderly. BUY FROM ANYBODY ELSE!

josephr124
5/4/17

If I could rate my experience with AmeriGlide below one I would do it. It is zero!!
It has taken 17 hours of installation time and the stair glide is not installed. The entire unit has to be replaced. The installers that were sent botched the installation two times. Parts had to be shipped in each time. The installer that was sent had never installed this unit before. THe third installer was sent and he stated the previous two attempts at installation have ruined the system beyond repair. Do not order from this company!!
I want my money back. I want them to take this incomplete installation out of my home immediately.
This is been a horrendous experience. The installers that botched the installation blamed the companies inferior equipment for the problem. I quite frankly don't know whether it's the installers or the equipment but I'm sure it is probably a combination of both. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS STAIR UNIT!!

If the Batteries were never changed in over 3 years then your answer is yes, your batteries are not taking charge.

By Ray R.

Most likely needs to be lubed.

By Ray R.

yes , it can be modified to fit 5 extra steps with additional parts.

By Ray R.

I would check: 1. For some sort of obstruction in the tracks. These units auto shut off with anything in the tracks; or 2. A wire connector under the seat worked loose; or 3. The traveling wire in the tracks, under the chair unit became jammed. Again, any obstruction, and it shuts off.

By David A.

Questions? Get answers from the AmeriGlide staff and other customers.

8 Photos for AmeriGlide