Review of Acorn TV

Tel: +1-800-778-7879
support@acorn.tv

robins105
2/25/16

I had issues with the service on November 6 2015 which was never addressed and then February 16 2016 I was notified by email that the issue had been closed! I was never contacted to address the issue at all but they closed the ticket as resolved!! Terrible customer service... will never pay for there service again..... hope the company is bought out or sells to one with quality customer service.. even then I will be leary.....

johns1178
2/22/16

We have had Acorn TV for several years and noticed about nine months ago that we were being double billed each month. Contacted customer service who stated they would take care of issue. To date, not only are they continuing to double bill each month but also we were never refunded our money from monthly errors.

cates4
2/18/16

The content looks great, if you can get it to work, but it doesn't. Trying to get customer support will enrage you. I've tried email and phone calls multiple times. You get no response by email and the run-around by phone. What you will get, months later, is an automated email saying your ticket was closed, just to rub your nose in it. Just awful. I'm cancelling after my subscription has ended and I anticipate a billing problem at that time, based on the other reviews. Avoid this company at all costs. It's a honey pot.

Tip for consumers: Don't sign up! Get your British fix somewhere else.

lorraineg14
2/15/16

I bought the yearly service but it never worked for me. I called them a few times and tried to cancel but they never sent me any e mails to acknowledge that I cancelled. Now they want their money for something that never worked for me. I am going through my credit card to get them to fight this for me, This is fraud to me as they will not let you cancel so buyers beware.

shawnieh
2/13/16

As other reviewers have stated, the content offered by Acorn TV is excellent but the streaming service is highly unreliable. Constant loading, buffering and crashing issues. Plus, their customer service is just awful. When I contacted them with a problem it took them a month to respond by email and the solution wasn't even for the problem/question I had. They also do NOT refund their annual membership fee when you try to cancel. They also don't contact you when it's time to renew your membership (it lasts only the year and doesn't auto-renew). When my membership is up, I'll give this a pass and access some of the Acorn content thru Amazon's subscription service.

patm96
2/11/16

Agree with other reviewers. Support is not there.
Have trouble watching shows without restarting them every 5 minutes.
Use the App on the new Apple TV, it stopped and it couldn't be started until I
deleted the Acorn app and reopened it. All worked fairly well until the new update.
Don't like the update at all. Sure wish tech support was better
I wouldn't' recommend it unless there is another update to fix the bugs

maryak1
2/8/16

I have been wanting to unsubscribe since last summer. After three tries to get a response via the contact-us form on their site, I finally told them I was starting a screen-shot trail of my contacts to them, so I can document their non-responsiveness for my credit card company. That got them to finally email me that they had "started a support ticket" and would get back to me. Based on these reviews, I won't hold my breath. But now I have a documentation trail, which I will be using with my cc company to get them to refuse Acorn's charges (unless they miraculously actually do engage with me). Awful company.

jacqueliner24
2/1/16

for 1 year i subscribed to acorn tv and was pretty good but after i renewed it all went to hell. had to subscribe twice and still waiting for refund. also while waiting tried to watch programs and screen would freeze every time i wanted to watch. so besides having two paid year subs. i still not able to watch. every time a called tech support they put me on hold forever or told to leave message and they didn't ever get back to me. wrote company and still no satisfaction. if not resolved in next two weeks will go to small claims court in ohio.

dennism98
1/31/16

Constant problems, both on-line and on Smart TV. Have repeatedly reported problems, received one ineffective response, around 5 responses have been ignored. On-line, lets me sign in then only lets me view trailers. On smart TV (Samsung) picture freezes, jumps/skips every minute or so...impossible to watch a program. I have asked, twice, if they are having a problem with their App written for Samsung TV, no response. I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Direct TV and all work fine. Have told Customer Service this several times. Their response? No answer.

susanb136
1/19/16

This service would be great, but they have taken to double charging me every month and refuse to respond to me about this matter. BEWARE!

markk88
1/14/16

Love the shows available on the site. Works pretty much seamlessly on multiple devices such as windows machines and ROKU. Painless to set up. However, 10 days ago my login password stopped working on all devices except my windows machine. DOn't know if I forgot the PW or what. I use the reset password function on the sign in screen but never get the password reset email. I do know my email is the correct email for this Acorn account since at least that is acknowledged as valid. Tried their tech service number, but all I get is VM. Good luck getting help if you ever need it. Their support sucks the big one.....

anthonys114
12/29/15

I wrote this E-mail to ACORN awhile ago. Still no response: Dear ACORN:

I am not a happy customer. I placed an order via mail on November 18th for a Irish Walking Sweater that cost me $169 (including shipping). A few weeks ago, I received an E-mail informing me that the sweater was back-ordered and I would get it by Christmas. Last week I called a customer representative who told me it was in transit and I would have it by today, Tuesday, December 22.

So far, the UPS, the FED Ex and the USPS have come down my street and no sweater. I just called an ACORN customer representative again who now tells me that the sweater was back-ordered for a second time and I would not be receiving the sweater until January 15h, the earliest.

I sent an E-mail to you ab out 10 days ago inquiring about the arrival of the sweater. You have not replied. You never informed me about the 2nd back-order. Instead I am re-assured that it is in transit to be delivered by today. Have you noticed the date? Today? It is December 22 and this sweater is a Christmas gift. I certainly ordered it in a timely fashion - November 18th, and you certainly took my money in a timely fashion. I am very dissatisfied with your customer care. You have not been upfront with me nor responsive the way any retail business should be to a paying customer.

Anthony J. Sclafani

hilaryh6
11/2/15

Just cancelled my acorn tv membership, if they wanted you to renew and valued your business they would set up there websites to reflect that. When i finally got through the maze of trying to renew my membership, could'nt even access the app, change my password to sign on again or play anything through the site. Seriously???

cd64
7/27/15

I have attempted to get assistance but they keep telling me to sign out and then sign back in. The so-called tech support is useless as are the FAQs. It costs $4.99 a month for a month by month and $49.99 for a year. Now I paid, but can't even use it on my device o which it is supposedly able to work. Not worth it to get British TV Shows.

The best way to get Acorn is to subscribe through Amazon Prime, if you have that. Streaming is immeasurably better and you don't have to deal with Acorn's dishonest business practices.

By Susan B.

I don't think they want you to contact them. I've tried by phone and email and get nothing but unreturned calls. As for email, forget about getting any help there. They never answer them. The phone number I have found on their website is 888-870-8047, but I have never been able to reach an agent. I have only been able to leave messages which I don't think they listen to. Sorry I don't have something more positive to say.

By Colleen A.

I can't answer re the prime way. I had free prime for a short time and when I checked out their acorntv service I saw that in addition to the monthly payment there are certain series that charge extra for episodes. That is the main reason I don't have prime, all the extra charges. I have acorn on my roku, don't really have streaming issues with that. Sometimes the cc when going back to a paused episode. Only issue is their idiotic new format. But learned to deal. Basically, I recommend roku, not prime.

By lin g.

I was able to set up acorntv on a friend's roku.

By lin g.

A truly worthless service! Unless you have a recently made Smart Samsung TV - the app is not in the Samsung Apps!!! So, unless you want to spend $2,000 on a new Smart Samsung TV - just to get Acorn TV...forget about it!!! There really is not good way to watch British television shows. Period.

By Doug S.

This will be your experience with Acorn for at least half the time you try to use it. They will not help you in any way, or respond to you except with automated forms. Get out now before they overcharge you. This problem does not occur if you sign up for Acorn as an Amazon Prime video Add-on.

By Susan B.

There's a way to contact support through the Apple app store. If you can, and haven't already, download the app and use it to put in a support request. I think they might be more likely to respond because they don't want trouble with Apple; if they ignore Apple customers, they risk having their app pulled from the app store. It's worth a shot. If your Acorn password is fixed in one place, it should work wherever you log in from.

By Cate S.

Questions? Get answers from the Acorn TV staff and other customers.

2 Photos for Acorn TV