Review of Acorn TV

Tel: +1-800-778-7879
support@acorn.tv

susans237
7/6/16

Acorn offers wonderful BBC content, much of which is old and has been on PBS. Customer service is slow, often is a computer-generated email, and it misses the target. I enjoyed the programs for 2 years. Best to buy this month-by-month and expect little if any help with problems, especially their accounting!

phyllisa8
7/3/16

So far, I'm still on the one month free trial. After reading about all the billing issues, I'm going to carefully monitor my credit card.

I wish they had more offerings. It's still fairly limited. On the Feature Friday section, they say there is a new movie available each week. I've checked for the last two to three weeks, and no new movies have been added that I can tell.

On the plus side, I was able to watch the final season of Doc Martin.

I like many of the programs and for the most part they stream fine. However, I have had some issues where the streaming stopped and I've had to back up and start again.

The website is really poor: they need to list more information about the shows, including the actors and the date of the production. You can add shows to your watchlist, but trying to find your watchlist is like looking for a needle in a haystack. It's not listed as a link on the home page, and seems to be buried somewhere. I found it once and now can't find it again.

So the jury is still out for me....

bernadettem4
7/2/16

i recently signed up with acorn tv for their 30 day trial and its great. i have had no problems signing in using my roku player. they have some great British tv shows and movies. definitely worth the money at 4.99 per month or 49 for yearly subscription. I will definitely continue to use them and mostly likely sign up for the yearly subscription. Video quality is excellent. I see so many bad reviews but for me its been great and i'm a fan of British tv shows.

kima76
6/9/16

I WAS NEVER ABLE TO GET SIGNED IN THRU MY ROKU. THEY TOOK MY ROKU INFORMATION AND STARTED BILLING ME FOR AN ACCOUNT. VERY WRONG!!! THIS SITE WONT LET ME ENTER UNLESS I GIVE A STAR!

sams26
6/9/16

The programs are excellent ,
Customer service has gone from fragmented to none at all I've been trying to get a responce for two months concerning streaming problems

dennist34
6/8/16

Shows are great. Terrific. FANtastic.
BUT, the support sucks big time.
I'm having trouble watching on my Samsung Smart TV.
Sent 4 inquiries in the past 4 weeks, got 4 responses that the e-mail was received and an Acorn representative will respond to your request shortly. Not a word yet and the problem persists. They should do better.
No way to get a human on the phone.

Totally disgusted in NJ.

georges194
6/4/16

I have tried twice to get this going. The trailers work, so you sign up and pay your money. The the videos do not load. They never respond to service requests but rest assured you will get regular emails promoting their so called service. This is a seriously rubbish company and web site.

williaml113
5/24/16

A long time ago I took a subscription to ACORN and it was terrible and I cancelled.

I just discovered that they have been charging my Amex card every month for $4.99 which I put in immediate dispute.

Their service is terrible and beware if you have them and cancelled them. Put a block on your credit card.

johnh530
5/20/16

Acorn tv

elyseh3
5/19/16

This company has the worst customer service EVER. You can't call in the early evening and speak to a human being. What is this, 1960?? They tell you to go online, but I am having a login problem. When you use the standard "I forgot my password" function, so common today, it DOES NOT WORK. They send you a new password, and it is not recognized on the website. I tried it twice. What is with these people?

jessw27
5/17/16

Can't imagine how Acorn can increase its membership with the total disregard they have for their customers. Lack of response to customers queries, programs that don't start, or don't fill the screen. Some stop in the middle of a program. Are you there? You offer good British programs, but seem completely unaware of your programs that fail time and time again.

barbarab151
5/14/16

I'm going to cancel even though I love the offerings..This service is awful..streaming just stops in the middle of watching..no way to correct other than start over...and last two days it isn't working at all..I get a black screen when I try to watch a show..

annp40
5/12/16

oh, just miserable streaming of the best programs. So very frustrating. Absolutely the worst. I even upgraded my wifi service so I could watch these programs, what a waste.

davec105
5/12/16

but how can I ignore the overwhelming negative reviews re. abysmal customer service?

Acorn: when you improve customer service I'll look again...

robertl195
5/7/16

I had the service for two months and had no issues at all ,until my first bill . I was supposed to pay $4.99 per month and I was billed $6.60 . Not a big deal , but I wanted to know why there was a difference, so I sent an E mail and after five days I didn't get an answer ,so I ended the relationship . Meanwhile I get lots of unwanted E mails offering all kinds of useless merchandise . They should make up their mind , are they going to be a video content streamer or are they going to try to flog useless stuff ,

louisp28
4/20/16

I have made 2 complaints about programs having problems loading while viewing. Never had any response from Acorn. It is the only streaming service that I have trouble with.

karenr102
4/20/16

Although I enjoy some of the shows they offer, what I don't enjoy is the fact that the show I am watching all of a sudden jumps to the end, or it just stops anywhere in between. This happens on a regular basis.

andreac92
4/19/16

Don't be fooled into signing up for Acorn TV's free trial offer. Granted the programs look great when you review what is available, especially in you like British TV. Just say NO. I have only been watching for 2 months, having taken an annual membership and I can't sign into my account, although I reset my password twice. In addition, I am unable to stream the programs without it stopping every few minutes of going to a black screen. Having contacted them by their prescribed methods, I received a "canned" e-mail response without problem resolution. I wonder if anyone exists in the customer service department. Hello! Was that an echo I heard. PLEASE, BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!!

peterw79
4/1/16

The content of this 'medium' is really poor and access through Apple TV is pathetic. What they do in nauseating frequency is email you with totally useless non related products its twice a day. I'm not interested in floral dresses...
When I asked for a cancellation refund they ignored my request.
This is classic consumer abuse

diannep6
Dianne P.
3/23/16

we subscribed to the service but could no get it to work on Apple TV so canceled almost immediately. Acorn continues to bill each month. As other users have noted, customer service is appalling. I would say that it is set up deliberately not to help; I have called multiple times and one of two things happen: 1) the customer service rep claims she/he cannot hear you and hangs up 2) you get transferred to voice mail, and are promised a call back. Never happens. My cc company now automatically credits the charge - don't understand why they cannot block the charge altogether, but seems like they cannot.

robins105
2/25/16

I had issues with the service on November 6 2015 which was never addressed and then February 16 2016 I was notified by email that the issue had been closed! I was never contacted to address the issue at all but they closed the ticket as resolved!! Terrible customer service... will never pay for there service again..... hope the company is bought out or sells to one with quality customer service.. even then I will be leary.....

johns1178
2/22/16

We have had Acorn TV for several years and noticed about nine months ago that we were being double billed each month. Contacted customer service who stated they would take care of issue. To date, not only are they continuing to double bill each month but also we were never refunded our money from monthly errors.

cates4
2/18/16

The content looks great, if you can get it to work, but it doesn't. Trying to get customer support will enrage you. I've tried email and phone calls multiple times. You get no response by email and the run-around by phone. What you will get, months later, is an automated email saying your ticket was closed, just to rub your nose in it. Just awful. I'm cancelling after my subscription has ended and I anticipate a billing problem at that time, based on the other reviews. Avoid this company at all costs. It's a honey pot.

Tip for consumers: Don't sign up! Get your British fix somewhere else.

lorraineg14
2/15/16

I bought the yearly service but it never worked for me. I called them a few times and tried to cancel but they never sent me any e mails to acknowledge that I cancelled. Now they want their money for something that never worked for me. I am going through my credit card to get them to fight this for me, This is fraud to me as they will not let you cancel so buyers beware.

shawnieh
2/13/16

As other reviewers have stated, the content offered by Acorn TV is excellent but the streaming service is highly unreliable. Constant loading, buffering and crashing issues. Plus, their customer service is just awful. When I contacted them with a problem it took them a month to respond by email and the solution wasn't even for the problem/question I had. They also do NOT refund their annual membership fee when you try to cancel. They also don't contact you when it's time to renew your membership (it lasts only the year and doesn't auto-renew). When my membership is up, I'll give this a pass and access some of the Acorn content thru Amazon's subscription service.

The best way to get Acorn is to subscribe through Amazon Prime, if you have that. Streaming is immeasurably better and you don't have to deal with Acorn's dishonest business practices.

By Susan B.

I don't think they want you to contact them. I've tried by phone and email and get nothing but unreturned calls. As for email, forget about getting any help there. They never answer them. The phone number I have found on their website is 888-870-8047, but I have never been able to reach an agent. I have only been able to leave messages which I don't think they listen to. Sorry I don't have something more positive to say.

By Colleen A.

I can't answer re the prime way. I had free prime for a short time and when I checked out their acorntv service I saw that in addition to the monthly payment there are certain series that charge extra for episodes. That is the main reason I don't have prime, all the extra charges. I have acorn on my roku, don't really have streaming issues with that. Sometimes the cc when going back to a paused episode. Only issue is their idiotic new format. But learned to deal. Basically, I recommend roku, not prime.

By lin g.

I was able to set up acorntv on a friend's roku.

By lin g.

A truly worthless service! Unless you have a recently made Smart Samsung TV - the app is not in the Samsung Apps!!! So, unless you want to spend $2,000 on a new Smart Samsung TV - just to get Acorn TV...forget about it!!! There really is not good way to watch British television shows. Period.

By Doug S.

This will be your experience with Acorn for at least half the time you try to use it. They will not help you in any way, or respond to you except with automated forms. Get out now before they overcharge you. This problem does not occur if you sign up for Acorn as an Amazon Prime video Add-on.

By Susan B.

There's a way to contact support through the Apple app store. If you can, and haven't already, download the app and use it to put in a support request. I think they might be more likely to respond because they don't want trouble with Apple; if they ignore Apple customers, they risk having their app pulled from the app store. It's worth a shot. If your Acorn password is fixed in one place, it should work wherever you log in from.

By Cate S.

Questions? Get answers from the Acorn TV staff and other customers.

2 Photos for Acorn TV