Review of 7CupsOfTea

Tel: +1 800-613-1521
info@7cupsoftea.com

deed169
1/21/19

Listeners are not trained. Most of them are actually really bad and may do more harm than good. If you have serious issues, do not go to 7cups.

samanthas240
11/21/18

7 cups of crap more like it should be, none of the listeners care to help you, I just wasted my time telling this dumb ignorant rude listener from Ireland my problem, they never responded and they just purposely end chat when they claim they weren't going to end chat and they never respond back they rudely and purposely end chat, they lied. Most listeners on here leave you feeling in the dark, they act like there supposed to make some big sacrifices just to help, they put no effort into helping they don't care about what your going through and don't care to help. I know the listeners aren't mental health professionals, but they don't even try to help. And the people who made 7 cups don't even care when you report listeners who don't even try to help. Such ignorant, rude uncaring listeners.

annc223
9/27/18

this site has its pros and cons. it is better run than blah and seems to attract a better caliber of listener. they police the site pretty unfairly, however, in that ppl are "banned" without any warning or explanation . you can mostly find decent listeners here (at least in my personal experience) and you can block ppl who cause you a headache. unfortunately i think this site is a bit too snowflake millenial trigger warning PC for my blood, maybe because im in my forties. that being said, you can meet some decent, kind ppl on here.

hanay1
9/25/18

I've been using 7cupsoftea for almost 4 years ever since I moved away for college. I got the emotional support I need from its listeners. I was surprised that it isn't great as it used to be. It's just full of people who seem to be not trained enough. I am not saying all of the listeners suck. Maybe in the recent 20 connect-to-listener session I had, 17 are useless. That's a bad number. I suggest quality over quantity.

anonymousr131
9/11/18

My biggest problem with this site is how everything is neatly categorized, and how so many things are left out. The concept is entirely anti-humanistic at its core, despite how it uses volunteer listeners.

Additionally, the site is set up to anonymously share data on your conversations by default("anonymously share my mental health data" option, which prompts you with a warning message when you uncheck it...), something which seems like it should be more of an opt-in than anything.

I've seen some beyond strange behavior already on this site - some of which seemed almost like it could've been gaslighting based on the peculiarity, unless I was somehow talking to someone beyond the grave (lol). I would avoid if you're in a rough spot...sometimes, it's better to suffer a bit if you don't have someone you can truly rely on than to trust strangers like a few of the ones I've seen here and on similar sites.

stephene76
7/18/18

At first glance, this site seems excellent. It is primarily free of charge, and you are almost always guaranteed to find someone who can listen to whatever issues you'd like to share. They also have a rewarding level system for Listeners which I reckon would look good on a CV for certain jobs.

However, there are a few issues. First and foremost would be the abuse of the reporting system and how easy the site allows for this to happen. Clearly, whoever gives the final decision on which users to ban does not look at any evidence of the supposed crime before issuing an immediate ban. Countless times I've had people report me just out of malice, we disagree over something, or a member was in a bad mood so decides to report me or other Listeners which of course results in an immediate ban. In one instance where I believe an angry (but angry over issues unrelated to me) member reported me for "sexual chat" I had to send three long appeals to get my Listener account back. And when you've spent ages building up your Listener level, it's quite a blow to log in to find yourself banned. And like with a lot of too big for their shoes online companies that don't see the effects of their attitude, they don't even bother to justify their ban.

The second issue would be how tight the restrictions are on conversations are and how sensitive, and I'd go as far as saying stupid, members take advantage of them. Understandably, members on there are primarily vulnerable people wanting to discuss their mental health issues, abusive situations. But when the site demands you have no sort of meaningful conversation whatsoever to not "trigger" people" (politics, religion, science and what not) you get narrow minded members who will not properly engage in conversations, and when they disagree with someone they will actually act quite rude towards someone stating a peaceful opinion but because they act "triggered" the moderators will take their side.

To summarise, it could be a great place, but 7cups' own restrictive rules and the ease in which these rules and the banning system can be abused taint the site. Certainly use it to have a 1 on 1 chat, you may get a nice chat, but at the same time, dare to disagree with someone (which you should do in an open minded, safe and intelligent place) and you risk being permanently banned without reason or warning.

beckyb74
5/3/18

I joined this about three years ago..maybe two in a vulnerable state. I wrote a post and had maybe one comment and next thing it vanishes. I asked on another area why It was removed. Then I was blocked and no longer able to use the site anymore.

Rude and uncalled for. No one ever told me why. Never got an email.

marthaw52
5/1/18

I started on 7 Cups of Tea as a member when I was going through a very rough time in life. The listeners not only supported me, but also made sure they were there 24/7 any time I messaged. The group chatrooms were great too when I felt like being among lots of people. Now I am a listener myself and it has been a life changing experience. There is no other place on the internet that is so safe and provides free support as 7 Cups of Tea.

ladyl2
4/28/18

Awhile ago I went on this website to talk to someone about issues I am dealing with,while I know they are not professionals I only wanted to go there to talk to someone who would listen since they are called listeners,but I question why these people become listeners in the first place because the ones I spoke to couldnt even handle just normal stressors people deal with and I had a few disconnect within a minute and I even had a weird one telling me that I was distant,if they cannot handle even listening to peoples problems then why go on this website?,they seem to lack empathy which is unusual because you need a bucketload of empathy to even do this kind of stuff,after trying to talk to someone you end up thinking why did I bother in the first place and I have to wonder about people who are much worse than I am and when they try to reach out to someone they end up getting one of these listeners because they end up making you feel a lot worse.

anonymousa143
1/26/18

I went to find hope and support in the chat rooms and find people talking about sex and absolute mindless chatter. It's exhausting AND depressing. I thought it was supposed to be a support site. I'm also super bummed about meetings shown on the calendar, I go to the room and they're not happening. I've experienced this on several occasions now. And, I am finding when I finally do make a constructive comment regarding a posted concern in chat, I am not even acknowledged let alone even welcomed to the room in the first place. Unhealthy, dysfunctional, cliquish and not a good investment of my time and energy though I love giving/receiving support. :( VERY DISAPPOINTED I JOINED! Grateful I didn't spend money.

racheld56
2/17/17

This website will take $150USD out of your bank account just for a trial. NO REFUNDS. NO customer service. Admins on the forum are horrible people!!! STAY AWAY!!!!!!

saml112
10/18/16

Please heed my warning and do not ever sign up for anything with this website. They charged my account $150.00 on the third day of my "free trial". The only time I used anything on their website was prior to signing up for the free trial and I was connected to a "helper" who barely spoke any English. Wait times were outrageous. Once I signed up for the "free trial", I did not use any of their services. When I requested a refund, I was promptly denied. I begged them for understanding as I am financially struggling and they refused any assistance. Please, please beware. I reached out for help and was robbed instead.

ronk
11/3/15

7 Cups of Tea is an online emotional support service. Through a secure, anonymous bridging technology, they connect those in need of emotional support with a network of Active Listeners, individuals from all walks of life who want to provide compassionate care. Connections to Listeners are private, one-on-one conversations initiated on demand.

"Listeners" are trained online to do just that...Listen Well. Some have experience, or are degreed in the helping profession, Others just want to help, and do,

And...you can sign-up to be a Listener, if you choose. Take short Listening course online (no cost at all), then you book times, day/night, when you are able to provide your ear and thoughts to somebody who needs a friend to talk to. I'm in the helping profession, and while I truly enjoy helping people and working out issues, I'd become addicted to this. So if you look into this, as Listener, only dedicate a small amount of time to listen and help...at first, until you get a feel for how it goes.

Have issues? Depression, just broke-up with partner, can't sleep, anxious, worried about medical issue, or whatever, you can go to the site,m and find someone willing and happy to hear you out. Awesome service and NO CHARGES AT ALL.
Good luck!
Ron

Questions? Get answers from the 7CupsOfTea staff and other customers.

7CupsOfTea?