Review of Zamzar

Steyning, SUSS BN4, GB
abuse@zamzar.com

zhivkog
11/8/18

I was asked for my personal email address in order to get my file converted. Okay, I gave it. Later, I received an email, that file (a simple xls file) is failed to be converted. Later, I started to receive lots of spam on my email address.

Response from Chris W., Zamzar Representative
Hi, sorry that your file failed to convert successfully - most files do convert first time through our site. If you'd like us to see if we can manually convert the file for you, please could you send it to us at support@zamzar.com? Also, please be assured that your email address is only used to send you the link to your converted file (or a message to say the conversion has failed); we never use email addresses for marketing and never share/sell email addresses, so unfortunately it's a coincidence if you've been receiving more spam emails recently. The Zamzar team.
svenejb
6/28/18

Fast & Easy... even for the PC Zero
I am not a ICT lover. I just use it as a tool. When asked to conver 2 MP4 files into MP3 I thought I could never do it... unyil I discovered Zamzar on the net! :-)

dongl2
6/4/18

Zamzar is a web converter that supports thousand conversions in respect to video, audio, eBook. image, compressed format, and doc. It requires you to submit an email address to recevie the download link instead of proving it on the web page. But it only takes a few minutes. Moreover, Zamzar is a completely free service.

Response from Chris W., Zamzar Representative
Thanks so much for your review!
karenm604
5/6/18

It was a shame the type of file I had could not be converted. The team got back to me really fast with some suggestions but due to the file I had, it wouldn't convert. I got a full refund immediately. Fantastic customer service and very friendly too. If ever I need to convert a file in the future Zamzar will be my first option!! Thank you.

Response from Chris W., Zamzar Representative
Thanks so much for your review, Karen! Sorry again that you weren't able to convert your file type on this occasion. We're glad to hear you'll be back in the future if you need to convert a file, though! The Zamzar team
christinea80
5/6/18

Needed to print a mac file on a flash drive, my work Windows computer could not open or read my file. Was able to use Zamar free and easy to get it converted in minutes and printed out. Thank you!

Response from Chris W., Zamzar Representative
You're very welcome, Christine! It's great to hear that our site helped you access your file so you could print it. Thanks so much for posting a review! The Zamzar team
greggv4
3/11/18

I had a large number of files to convert so I bought their most expensive plan and set to work on a weekend. First -- I found that uploading files seemed to collide. I would upload 500 (in 100 file batches) but only found 300+ up there. didnt notice this for awhile and then had to start all over again. Then it stopped working - and I got an email saying I was uploading too many -- and asking if I was using a tool. I said no - just by hand. a day or so later they turned it back on but asked that I upload more slowly. OK. then I found that after conversion I coulndt delete them. They fixed that and then I found that it was only converting about 80% of them -- that they don't take any files with macros in them (not mentioned on site and I don't put macros in my files anyway). I had no way of finding out which files were rejected by looking at what I got back (had to look through reams of individual emails they send -- one for each file-- to see which ones were not converted. I had spent over 20 hours - had randomly converted files - without and 'placeholder' files for ones not converted -- and had uploaded some file 3 or 4 times before I figured out what was going on. In the end I can't use the files I got (since I don't know which are converted and which I still need to get converted otherwise) and will have to just do it all over again with another service. I asked for a refund and they said that even though they didnt convert over 800 of my files they had converted some -- so no refund. Not happy. I'm not so worried about the no-refund -- that was $35 or something like that. It was all the time that was lost when I will ahve to do it all over again.

So Great for one or two or a few files -- when it works. Bad that it skips so many. Terrible interface and error reporting method for bulk file translation. Not great support (Though they did respond within a day or so each times -- so plus for that)

carolines79
3/9/18

I managed to convert my file from docx to doc and received it in less than a minute. Will be using it again in the future.

Response from Chris W., Zamzar Representative
We're glad to hear our site helped you out and that you found it quick to use, Caroline! Thanks so much for posting a review! The Zamzar team.
michellec285
2/26/18

I need to convert PDFs to docx files with headings and page numbers intact. I spent a day trying out converters and all of them--even Adobe--failed to consistently transfer headings and page numbers OR to allow me to add or correct them. What a relief to find Zamzar. So easy to use, so fast, and converted documents are beautiful and perfect. Thank you! PS: I had a mixup with credit card charges and Zamzar's technical support is excellent.

Response from Chris W., Zamzar Representative
Hi Michelle, sorry for the issues you've had. We've replied in more detail to your email, but just to confirm, only one payment of $9 has gone through to open your account; no other charges have been processed by us. Feel free to reply to our email with any queries about this and we'll try to help further. Thanks for using our service; we're glad to hear the conversions are working well for you. The Zamzar team
chrish398
2/20/18

As an electrician, architects often send drawings from they CAD programs believing evryone can see them (arrogance). your conversion program has been very useful. Thank you so much.

Response from Chris W., Zamzar Representative
That's great to hear, Chris! We're glad our site has helped you out. Thanks for commenting! The Zamzar team
davidp439
2/8/18

I spent most of yesterday trying to convert an excel file to .CSV. I am from the rotary phone era and was burnt out by the end of the day. I don't trust the internet, so I checked out a bunch of reviews before being persuaded to try Zamzar. I filled in the simple four step form and then got a beep from my email which had an email from Zamzar - my file was ready! Downloaded and working! Thank you so much, Zamzar, for improving my life and my day!

Response from Chris W., Zamzar Representative
We're glad to hear that our service helped you get your file converted to .CSV format, David, and that you found our site easy to use. Thanks so much for posting a review! The Zamzar team
lucyp37
9/18/17

Really thankful for Zamzar as I was trying to convert a PDF to Word document to edit a file I had accidentally only saved to PDF years ago. This was a fast, free, and safe service!

Response from Chris W., Zamzar Representative
We're so glad to hear that our service helped you out, Lucy. Thanks so much for posting your comment! The Zamzar team.
jimr143
7/11/17

They charged my account every month for 2 years and I never had a file converted correctly. I called many times to cancel and get refunded but they insist that they have never charged my account. tired of dealing with them would not suggest giving them any credit card info.

Response from Chris W., Zamzar Representative
Hi Jim, We're sorry to hear you weren't happy with our service; we pride ourselves on our customer service and would be interested to hear who you spoke with from our customer service team. We have checked our records and can't see any emails or conversations other than a conversation regarding a failed PDF conversion which we were able to resolve ? We'd love to get to the bottom of this and review any emails or conversations you had where we indicated we hadn't charged your account. Also if you have experienced issues with any file conversions could you email us over any details and we can look into this for you. Thanks, The Zamzar Team
markd197
3/29/17

It has been impossible to stop them from charging my card for months after we deactivated the account. This is a fraudulent company go somewhere else. Also, none of the Beta or experimental converters work whatsoever.

Response from Chris W., Zamzar Representative
Hi Mark, We're sorry to hear you weren't happy with our service; we are a genuine company who take pride in offering an efficient and helpful service. We do make it clear on our site (including on the account sign-up page) that it's the account-holder's responsibility to cancel their subscription when they no longer want it, and unfortunately we can't find any record of you cancelling your account with us; this is why you continued to be charged. We've now cancelled your account for you so there'll be no further charges. Your files all seem to have converted successfully through our site. If you had problems with any of the file conversions, could you please email us with the details, and we'll take a look for you? Thanks, the Zamzar team
angelas151
Angela S.
2/5/17

All the people saying you had/have to pay - take a few seconds to READ and follow the instructions. I just converted a few files quickly and for absolutely FREE!
Thank you Zamar.

Response from Chris W., Zamzar Representative
You're very welcome, Angela! We're so glad we could help with your file conversion needs. Thanks for posting! From the Zamzar team.
steviec6
1/20/17

Can't praise Zamzar enough! I have very limited IT knowledge & 2 very old computers. I created my documents on the computer using odf files but when transferring these to my other computer connected to the internet using a memory stick, they wouldn't read them at all (it thought the files were in Japanese!?!) Zamzar was able to convert the gobbledygook into pdf then excel saving me having to rig up on old desktop to the net. Brilliant!

Response from Chris W., Zamzar Representative
Hi Stevie, We're glad to hear that our software helped you out and that it was easy to use. Thanks for commenting! The Zamzar team
charlenem26
12/10/16

I had a single 3 page document to convert from Word Perfect to Word on my Mac. The instructions I googled did not work for me. I finally came across Zamzar and after reading the reviews decided to try it. I had the documents emailed to me in a matter of seconds. It was fast and free, and I didn't come across any hidden catches or small print, etc. Thank you Zamzar.

Response from Chris W., Zamzar Representative
Hi Charlene, We're glad you found us and liked our service! Thanks for posting your comment! The Zamzar team
haroldg13
4/18/16

I need to convert a book done in Microsoft publisher to PDF in order to submit it to the copyright office. It has to be exact. I tried to get information about that issue but my registration to Zamzar was rejected. I decided to go through with the "no humans available procedure" which went fast and as described BUT the book was in shambles. Chapters beginning in the middle of pages,etc. As noted it was useless for my purpose

Response from Chris W., Zamzar Representative
Hi Harold, we're really sorry for the issues. Would you be able to email the details to support@zamzar.com and we'll investigate for you? One of our engineers may be able to manually convert the file for you. Thanks very much.
jennefert
3/18/16

I needed to convert a .key file to .ppt and this worked wonderful. The email was a little confusing, but I found the converted file and was able to open it.

Response from Chris W., Zamzar Representative
Hi Jennifer, we're glad you liked your file conversion. Sorry for any confusion with the email. Thanks for choosing to use our service, the Zamzar team.
davidm377
1/24/16

I had 2 - three hundred plus page epub files I wanted converted to PDF. Submitted them to Zamzar via drag and drop and all I had to give them was my email address. I didn't have to register or anything like that. Sure, they try to sell a service for those with many files needed to be converted regularly, but nothing wrong with that. In the meantime, my files were converted in a minute or two and I received an email for each file submitted, with some advertising and a link to my converted files. It was fast and free, just as they say. If I had many files to convert, I would sign up for one of their pay services. Use them without worry.

Response from Chris W., Zamzar Representative
Thanks for your review, David! We're glad you found our service easy and quick to use, and we're glad we could help. Thanks, the Zamzar team.
not122
1/19/16

I recommend using another option. The program is free but only for 50 converts. I found free versions that convert much faster and with better quality. To top it off it took 2 hours to convert 153 files and in the end it only let me convert 100 of them in two days. Many better options out there.

Tip for consumers: I recommend:
Maniac tools - Audio only
Online Audio Converter - Multiple conversion
Itunes - Audio
Quicktime - Audio and Video

Response from Chris W., Zamzar Representative
Sorry for the issues you had. Although there is a 50-file limit per 24 hours for our free service, there's no limit for any of our paid accounts. It sounds like the delay you had was with the upload of the files, and unfortunately we don't have any control over your internet's upload speeds. We can only convert files as quickly as they are uploaded to our site. If you had any quality issues, feel free to email our support team at support@zamzar.com and they'll be happy to help. Thanks, the Zamzar team.
loish14
1/7/16

I needed to convert a couple of MP4 files to MP3 format. The process was quick and free. Thanks!

Response from Chris W., Zamzar Representative
You're very welcome, Lois! We're glad we could help!
veritym
12/22/15

States it's a free file conversion but once you've uploaded your file it then asks you to sign up and start paying. Not free. False advertising.

Thanks for your response - I did exactly as you say and when I clicked on the email link, then signed up, then clicked on the download file link, I was taken to a page where I was asked to start paying. If there was another way around this then it was very well hidden.

Response from Chris W., Zamzar Representative
Hi Verity, sorry for any confusion. We do offer a genuinely free service for files up to 100MB. Once you convert your file you should receive an email from us containing a link to where you can download your converted file (the link is beneath the blue box in the email) - you need to click on this link to go to a page where you can download your file to your computer. There's no need to register, log in or pay to get your file. If you need any more help, please don't hesitate to email support@zamzar.com. Thanks, the Zamzar team.
gm55
11/6/15

I wanted something to quickly view a .msg file but this involved submitting an email address (what will they do with it?) in order to get a link to the output - which wasn't very good as it failed to include the embedded attachment.
I ended up using encryptomatic.com which was much less palaver and did the job much better.

Response from Chris W., Zamzar Representative
Sorry if you had problems with our service. We take our customers' privacy very seriously, and don't share email addresses or send you marketing emails; we just send the link via email so that you don't have to wait for the file to convert and download. Sorry if there were problems with the conversion; if you have any problems in the future, our support team are very happy to take a look for you - just email support@zamzar.com. Thanks, the Zamzar team.
annas106
10/9/15

There are tons of programs you could use to convert files, but all of them either cost money or give viruses or spyware. Zamzar is simple, versatile, and totally reliable! I use it all the time to convert iPhone recordings into .wav formats. Works like a charm!

andrewk44
10/25/14

This site is extremely useful! It doesn't need a download, and doesn't force spyware, malware, surveys, or anything onto your computer. Faith in humanity restored

Hi Arlene, our site is very secure - we use 128 bit SSL encryption. We're not sure why you aren't seeing the padlock icons. Would you be able to email our support team at support@zamzar.com, and let them know what browser and version of browser you are using? Thanks very much, the Zamzar team. P.S. Once you are signed up you can easily upgrade your account if you want to, through your Zamzar account page.

By Chris W., Zamzar Representative

A: Hi, thanks for your question. We can convert .m4a files to any of the following formats through our site: .aac, .ac3, .flac, .m4r, .mp3, .mp4, .ogg, .wav, and .wma. If you need any help with converting your files, just drop us an email at support@zamzar.com. Thanks, the Zamzar team.

By Chris W., Zamzar Representative

Hi, You shouldn't have any issues converting your files, but do feel free to email us at support@zamzar.com if you need any help or hit any problems. Please note that we aren't currently able to convert scanned pdfs to editable text. Thanks, the Zamzar team.

By Chris W., Zamzar Representative

Hi, sorry for any issues you've had converting your file. Could you please email the details and the pdf file to support@zamzar.com and we'll take a look at this for you? Thanks, the Zamzar team.

By Chris W., Zamzar Representative

Hi, sorry for the issues with your file conversion. Could you please email support@zamzar.com with the details, and attach your pdf file, and we'll take a look at this for you. Thanks, the Zamzar team.

By Chris W., Zamzar Representative

Hi, thanks for messaging. Sending files to a 3rd party Internet service always carries some risk, but we've built the Zamzar website with security as a top priority. All of our hardware runs in world-class, highly secure data centres utilising state-of-the art electronic surveillance and multi-factor access control systems. All traffic to and from our servers is secured by transport-level security using 128 bit SSL to encrypt the data sent between your systems and ours. Additionally, if you have a Zamzar (paid) account you can also use your personal inbox to delete converted files so that you have confidence they are permanently removed from our systems. We hope that helps! Thanks, the Zamzar team.

By Chris W., Zamzar Representative

Hi Mukarram, As discussed over email with our support team. You selected to pay annually for your account rather than monthly hence the cost of $81 as opposed to $9. Given that you would prefer to move to a monthly package our team has issued you with a refund. This refund can take up to 7 working days to hit your account. Thanks, The Zamzar Team

By Chris W., Zamzar Representative

Hi Trish, This is a good question to ask! Sending any files to a 3rd party Internet service will always carry some risk, but we have built the Zamzar website with security as a top priority. All of our hardware runs in world-class, highly secure data centres utilising state-of-the art electronic surveillance and multi-factor access control systems. All traffic to and from our servers is secured by transport-level security using 128 bit SSL to encrypt the data sent between your systems and ours. Additionally, if you have a Zamzar (paid) account you can also use your personal inbox to delete converted files so that you have confidence they are permanently removed from our systems. We hope that helps! Thanks, the Zamzar team.

By Chris W., Zamzar Representative

Hi Gilbert, unfortunately we aren't able to convert speech to text; the software for this is still in its infancy. Sorry, the Zamzar team.

By Chris W., Zamzar Representative

Hi Robin, you should be able to convert your .pdf file to .epub format through our site. Unfortunately we don't currently convert .pub to .epub. We retain the formatting as much as possible during file conversion, but if you do find there are any problems, feel free to email us at support@zamzar.com and we can take another look at it for you. Thanks, the Zamzar team.

By Chris W., Zamzar Representative
Questions? Get answers from the Zamzar staff and other customers.

Zamzar?