Review of WyzAnt

support@wyzant.com

77 reviews with 1 star

mixcc
7/25/18

Incredible poor service. I strongly question the process to assess tutors. I was denied tutoring without having been given a fair chance to prove I was a proficient tutor.
In fact I am a successful native foreign language tutor from years now, but I was not even asked to take a test, instead denied with a very generic explanation
It does not get any worse than this.

maddio
3/26/18

I was a prospective tutor for Wyzant and applied for tutoring writing and literature. I am a published author of an academic book used in Universities nation wide and sold in all bookstores, have been tutoring this subject for 8 years and received honors in both my undergraduate and graduate schools. They have approved other tutors including those without degrees with less qualifications and do not select their tutors well. When I contacted them multiple times asking why I was denied they said the committee chose not to accept me and they had no information on why. When I asked to speak with a manager they denied my request. DO NOT WORK OR USE THIS SERVICE.

cyrusr11
2/28/18

This company is a disaster. I applied and wrote 3 paragraphs about my experience, and they emailed me 3 times asking me to update my profile, then they emailed me telling me that they didn't think I was a match with their pathetic company. They are patently vague regarding the free response section of creating a profile, and I would never want to work for such a disgusting company like wyzant. Just read their Yelp reviews. Many are complaining about the 40% commission, then there are the vagaries about applying as a tutor.

stephenk99
2/28/18

They ALWAYS use the send it to board of review to get on.. They want cheap unliable people so they can collect their fee. Very very disappointing company.

nancys238
9/23/17

Under the guise of silicon valley "disruption" this website has dominated google to extort money from educators and students everywhere. Thanks to Wyzant, the cost of tutoring has gone up an average of 30% across the country and even the world. They provide a yelp-like service, but instead of just providing a review they also take a huge cut.

This corporation tricks every person who does a google search for a local tutor by creating countless fake websites that link back to Wyzant. It's difficult to escape them. And most people don't stop to think about the money being ripped off from the tutor, or the higher price the tutor must charge to make up the cut that Wyzant takes.

sebastianc14
9/19/17

I have been ripped off twice by false advertising of tutors who did not even understand the concept of Defamiliarization in English Literature, so I requested proof of what a writing prompt was asking for to protect myself from more scams and had a tutor accuse me of being lazy and not wanting to do any work. Horrible experience and site full of tutors who really don't care, just money, the moment they think your not a cash cow they just become unavailable.

Tip for consumers: just don't. trust me.

patr4543
8/6/17

and then never did the work. He scammed me by saying that he could not give me an estimate on the work until I paid him $80 and then he just did not do the work. Thanks Joe H. remember you may not pay what you owe but you will reap what you sow.

nadah6
7/17/17

A top Wyzant tutor, Marlene Soper, agrees to take $40.00 then, WITHOUT NOTIFICATION, charges $60.00 instead!

The Wyzant platform malfunctions severely for over an hour and Wyzant offers compensation for the first hour only. When the tutor, Marlene Soper, steals the extra $20.00, for what she estimates to be an extra 30 minutes online, Wyzant only offers me a website coupon instead and REFUSES to help with the tutor situation.

Proof conversations copied below:

1. From Skype, when technical issues were so sever that Wyzant suggested we try another platform:

ME: "I think we need to stop here and wait for wyzant to get back to me. Sooo Sorry."
MARLENE: "Yeah. I agree. I'm so sorry about this."
ME: "plz accept the 40 USD they credit to my account on their website? or which ever u prefer"
MARLENE: "OIK. It's up to you.They gave you the credit, you might as well use it. Right."
ME: "ok, thank you. One minute, let me log on and check. ok, it's there"

2. From our text messages when the theft took place:

ME: "Hi Marlene. I just received notification that wyzant charged me for $24 in addition to the 40 dollar credit. Have you received any notification of this??"
MARLENE: " Nada, when we met a week ago and had difficulty, we were talking for over an hour. When we met Friday we were dealing with all of this for 1.5 hours. I asked for 1.5 hours of compensation and have not and will not ask for anything for the weekend before."
ME: " I see. I thought we agreed over skype that it was only gling to be $40? I would have preferred a heads-up, Marlene. In any case, Wyzant should be responsible for the extra payment, not me. I will contact them. Thanks".
ME (later on): "Hello. Wyzant has placed a credit of $25 USD in my account. Please accept that credit for the extra half hour and refund me the original 24.02 USD. Wyzant cannot transfer the funds to me directly, only through the tutor. Thanks."

No reply.

3. Email excerpts with Wyzant since the incident:

"Thank you for reaching out to us...Please know that tutors are able to charge for the amount of time spent with their student during a lesson. Wyzant had provided you with a credit of $40 as a courtesy due to the technical issues that you had experienced with our online lesson platform in hopes that this amount ...may cover the cost of time spent attempting to troubleshoot the issues...If you do not believe the length of the lesson has been incorrectly reported by Marlene, we would encourage you to speak with her directly regarding this. ...I want to reiterate that we are so sorry for the technical issues...With that being said, please note that there is no way for us to refund the additional $24.20 that you were charged by Marlene without explicit permission from the tutor to reduce the length of the lesson...While the $30 coupon cannot be refunded to your payment method, it will remain on your account and can be used towards any future tutoring you receive through Wyzant...ince Wyzant acts as the payment processor for tutors listed on our site, we are unable to adjust the charge of a lesson and provide a refund without the consent of the tutor that has submitted the charge. As such, we will not be able to provide any further refunds for your lesson with Marlene S...It is important to note this decision was made in accordance with our Terms of Use of our site, which all users agree to when creating a Wyzant account. Wyzant considers this decision to be final and a representative will not be made available to discuss this matter further.

The Story:

The lesson involved in this situation is EMPTY, for over an hour I suffered SEVERE technical issues which Wyzant could not explain. I could not even log into the classroom! In the end, they suggested I try an alternative platform until they checked their own for errors. That's when they deposited credit to compensate the first hour.

Marlene only taught a total of 15 MINUTES in that entire time, simply reviewing the previous lesson in preparation for start something new. Yet, I offered to compensate her for the time she spent online WAITING by giving her the $40.00 credit deposited in my account. She ACCEPTED it as an even compensation, after all we were both affected by this. Then charged me an extra $20.00 behind my back! From my OWN money, not from Wyzant.

So what was I left with as a student? Over an hour of time wasted, no new content, severe technical issues where Wyzant could not help, and a payment of $20.00, un-anticipated and undeserved, with no real compensation from the company behind all this!

It's funny that a top reviewed math tutor would behave this way over 20.00 dollars! I am a graduate student, so 20 USD mean something to me, especially when they're taken by force. But for someone who charges $40.00 / hr and has over 400 positive reviews?? I guess they do too.

Over TEN emails were sent back and forth between me and Wyzant, their answer was always the same: We're sorry for your loss, but we can't help with the tutor or the money she took. And we can't pay you directly, only site credit. Good luck!

Since I cannot upload photos onto this review, I have copy-pasted the EXACT text messages that were exchanged between me and Marlene about money, plus excerpts from my emails with Wyzant. Please read them above and judge for yourselves!

A final note: What Marlene did was immoral, it's called STEALING, I would be careful about dealing with her. Even successful tutors get greedy. Also, Wyzant is NOT built to protect the students, it doesn't care if they're being extorted by the tutors, EVEN if their platform is to blame! I would NEVER recommend this site to anyone, their policy is unfair (there's no timer in the classroom, the tutor names the duration of the lesson as she sees fit and Wyzant has no proof how long the lesson ACTUALLY lasted), the platform is ALWAYS crashing and their customer assistance is useless. Again, PLEASE do NOT save your card or PayPal information on their site.

jimj117
5/15/17

some say anyone can open an account as a tutor. NOT SO.. Qualified tutors like myself are denied on the site, if they have not been past tutors, and are trying to reinstill them now, since I have tutor experience. They keep your email off,, and find that if you delayed filling out the profile, you are not qualified to be a tutor, though I have written books, have tons of references,, taught many classes, and great responses, and they don't like being involved with existing classes and media. I was very disappointed in their customer service., all answers saying on,,, they went to the advisory board.. A secret method to deny services needed. Very disappointed in this firm and its management.

timj72
12/19/16

Half of the positive reviews seem pretty fake here... I tried Wyzant for 3 months and this service makes no sense. The tutors are forced to give 40% of their rate to the site so they totally overcharge students and parents and clients are forced to pay through website.... why?
Anybody can open an account as a tutor, so there is no exclusivity or warranty...
Also... I realized that parents giving good reviews here (which seem pretty fake) acknowledge that the site is abusive towards tutors and they basically show to not care which is even worse...(flash news... you are being overcharged because of these practices!)
I closed account and use care.com and Tutorz. Way better!!

raeb12
11/26/16

Wyzant takes a large percentage of your earnings to welcome you. After that, they do not have any mechanism for changing ratings given by a student. Some students know that if they give a bad review, they will not be charged and they take advantage. IT happened to me a few times. I do not recommend working for Wyzant. I am getting out as quick as possible.

francined5
9/24/16

I am new to this site, and I contacted a tutor to see if I could speak/email him before we made arrangements for him to tutor my daughter. He would not speak to me before I gave him my credit card information! Why would anyone in their right mind have that information on file where it is able to be accessed by people you havent even spoken to or met yet?? Am I missing something?

ryanm125
8/10/16

I have worked with 2 French tutors.
Both times while in the middle of the curriculum the tutors raised their rates, changing the business nature of our agreement.
After my first tutor raised his rates he then decided to stop tutoring and gave no explanation.
My second tutor raised his rates 10$/hr, I declined to pay the additional fee and he charged me a cancellation fee. The problem is Samuel, my former tutor, did not even notify me of the rate change before I could cancel in time for his deadline. He broke his own rule. Samuel was unprofessional and uncaring. Wyzant did not lift a finger to help or understand.

sallys57
5/19/16

Tutor was nice but not worth the money. On top of that they double charged me. I called and they said they would fix error instead they sent me to collections!!! Hit my credit score for being placed on there. I didnt want to fight them anymore so I just paid the collections. Then Wyzant tutored me on something else..Did you know you credit will get hit again for paying it!!! Totally true. Way to stick it to students!!!!

Response from Carol E., WyzAnt Representative
Hi Sally,

We're sorry that there was a miscommunication regarding your lesson. Our goal is to make sure students find the best instructor to work with, that's why we'd really like to address this and help you accomplish what you set out to learn. We're happy to help!
benjaminm43
3/31/16

Most of the tutors are not available. When I do find a tutor, after the first session WyzAnt removed her from the site.

radg
10/30/15

I contacted a tutor Katya A. who was listed at $40 per hour and she responded even suggest a day and time for our session. Then I never heard from her again and I could not imagine why until I went to look for other tutors and saw her rate changed to $80 per hour and it was suddenly all clear. I would have paid her the $80 but this is no way to do business. I hope that this moves costs her.

I contacted Wyzant over 24 hours ago and have yet to hear from them.
NOT A TRUSTWORTHY SITE

joyt14
9/15/15

I qualified for being a tutor and they did not hire me. I would not waste my time with this company. I should file a lawsuit against for discriminate against tutors with the right qualifications like me.

amys95
9/11/15

The Wyzant website claims that you can have an initial tutoring session with each tutor 'free' until you find the tutor who best suits you. This is baloney. You are charged for each and every session. If you complain, you are told that "It is at the tutor's discretion whether or not to give a free session." What tutor is going to forgo a fee? Liars, liars, liars.

lynnf16
5/26/15

I have been using Wyzant for weeks now and it has been great. I had to cancel my credit card because it had been hacked. I cannot update my payment to Wyzant until the new credit card is received. They have now cancelled my daughter's tutoring sessions. This is unbelievable to me. My daughter has her final exam next week and now does not have a tutor. There was only 1 tutoring session left. Way to care more about their bottom line then about students needed help. They were informed that the card should be received this week. You would think that they would take some type of payment over the phone, but guess what, NOPE. This is just unbelievable to me!

jimb150
2/24/15

I enrolled in WyzAnt as a tutor, applied for numerous positions, and became suspicious when I did not hear back from very many people. WyzAnt admitted that they do not show prospective students every application. I suspect that the vast majority of my applications did not make their way to the students. I am a certified teacher, and I was applying to positions close to my home. I strongly suspect that the reason my applications were not going through is that my hourly rates were fairly low. WyzAnt takes a percentage, so I suspect they try to promote the tutors who are charging more so they can collect more fees. When I finally completed a lesson with a student, all records of it disappeared from the website, and I was never paid. I never received any explanation from WyzAnt, They eventually deactivated my profile, probably because I was not making them enough money. (They never gave me an explanation for that, either.) WyzAnt keeps 40% of the money billed until a tutor has 200 hours in, and the way their system works, it seems to be all but impossible to get in those 200 hours. I would recommend that tutors advertise themselves through craigslist or care.com instead of WyzAnt.

Tip for consumers: Don't use it! There are better options.

ashleys68
2/15/15

Where do I begin? How about with simple and free advice:

Do not -- under any circumstances -- use WyzAnt. Do not glom onto their site's "Reviews and Testimonials" bc these are ridiculously contrived and designed to suck you in (hear that sucking sound??). Instead, do your homework and read ALL the negative reviews on Yelp, SiteJabber, Consumer Complaint Board, etc. Knowledge is power so be knowledgable about the abhorrent business tactics used by WyzAnt. Be smart, be wise, use TutorZ instead. I did and what a world of difference.

I had a horrible experience with WyzAnt in seeking a tutor. Recently, I logged in and left a message for a tutor. WyzAnt emailed saying "based on your previous requests to close your account, we are unable to provide you with an active account moving forward."

The funny thing is, I never attempted to close my account and it would not occur to me to do so.

When I asked for proof that I requested my account be closed, WyzAnt emailed me saying their "......decision to close my account was made in accordance with their terms and conditions, which are available for review on their website."

Seriously?!? WyzAnt can't even explain it to me?? I now have to decipher their legally-written Terms of Service in order to figure it out?? I'm left more stymied than before. It is obvious WyzAnt's email notification is a formal one and certainly not one tailored to me.

I notified WyzAnt again asking them for proof that I attempted to close my account. They responded they "could not help me" and that they were, "finished discussing the matter and no one from their team would engage in conversation over this matter." Literally. It left me thinking, "What the ?!?" The only reason -- and it's a lame one -- that I can think I was banned is because I ended up never using their services. If this is true, what a ludicrous and ineffective business model they have.

WyzAnt is an extremely unforgiving company, so be careful. They are completely unwilling to work with unhappy customers or engage in a resolution. This is NOT a way to do business. They desperately need to change their business model or it will be catastrophic for them. Their customer service is atrocious. Whether you're a tutor seeking work, or a student in need of one, I implore you to not use WyzAnt. Log onto TutorZ instead and be treated with courtesy and respect, qualities WyzAnt simply does not possess.

Be careful when logging onto other tutor sites that appear not to mention WyzAnt as an affiliate or partner because as soon as you click "Send," WyzAnt pops up, and if you've been blacklisted like me, and you think you're going on a site to circumvent WyzAnt, you're not. Now, THAT'S a sneaky way to do business.

Be smart: Beware!!
Be smart: Use TutorZ!!

Tip for consumers: Tip 'o the day: Stay away!
Tip 'o the century: Use TutorZ instead! You'll be happy you did!

sherryh17
Shar R.
12/9/14

profile team: rating is 'zero' Wyzant profile team removes tutor profiles from their online directory without notice.. this is one of the terms of the independent tutor Agreement which states that Wyzant or the independent tutor can end the Agreement for any reason at any time.. the Agreement also says that independent tutors have absolute discretion with their method of instruction and with services rendered, to Wyzant student users; however, the company violates this term of the independent tutor agreement and will treat the tutor as an employee, stating in one case that the tutor did not convert students into long-term clients; tutors have no obligation under the terms of use Agreement to convert students to long-term clients; the Wyzant site is an online marketplace which connects potential students and tutors .. student users are not screened with background checks and tutors can elect to have a background check ..

Tip for consumers: Wyzant collects payments from students, in full, for services rendered by tutors; Wyzant deducts a percentage payable to Wyzant (up to 40% to start) before remitting the remaining balance (60%) to the tutor..

pamp9
11/24/14

I was a tutor for almost a year and, though they took so much of my rate, I was happy for the new clients. THEN they sent me an email dropping me as a tutor because they said I tried to meet someone outside of the system, which is complete BS. The only thing I can think is that it was was when I had a client be in touch three times - I told her that she needed to put her credit card on file - they seem to put the onus on the tutors to police potential customers. She eventually did, but not until after she asked me to meet her at a bookstore on a certain day. My response was that yes, I'll meet her, but you need to put your credit card info on file. Wyzant accused me of scamming them, then refused (by email - they refused to return my calls and said they would not consider looking into it further) to tell me exactly what prompted my "firing".

Bad customer service. Draconian policies, blindly carried out by people who have no idea what is going on. I hope they only treat their tutors this way and not their customers. Scratch that - I hope they do because maybe they will go out of business.

suem46
11/9/14

Wyzant gives the impression that they will accept a tutor on the basis on their teaching experience (I have years) their degree (I have some towards a master's degree) and testing on the subjects taught (I passed the subject tests I wanted to teach). Not True.
After I had taken the tests and given them all the personal information they asked for--including my bank account numbers--they sent a email. It stated they were sorry that they could not allow me to tutor for them.
The reason stated was because they did not like my advertisement/intro; which I could have changed. They asked for revision of this x3. I did; but they never stated why they didn't like it. Or how they would like it changed. It was 2 paragraphs. So now they have all the personal info for nothing.
They are arbitrary in their business decisions and I would not recommend anyone tutor or use their service.

Tip for consumers: Don't bother. Start your own.

moganaj
11/3/14

Wyzant is an absolute joke. Tutors, go elsewhere where you will be respected and treated like a human being. Students, go elsewhere where you can get a reasonable lesson rate without a bloodsucking company down your throat.

The students who I found through Wyzant were shady and unreliable. I had three sessions with one of my Wyzant students. I have yet to receive payment for the third session (as of 3 weeks later) and Wyzant has been unhelpful. The payment still reads "pending" and the mother is ignoring my multiple texts, calls and messages.

I had an excellent first lesson with another one of my new students and her mother welcomed me back for further lessons. As I was leaving, she first threatened me saying that I would be fired from Wyzant for taking outside payments and then offered to pay me in cash. I declined, stating that I prefer to go through the website and she agreed that this was fine. She then left me 1 star feedback (the lowest).

I messaged her, no response. I called her and she answered, then abruptly hung up after I introduced myself and she realized who it was. Wyzant has again been unhelpful. They will only remove the negative feedback if I void the lesson and decline payment. Ridiculous policy that makes zero sense.

I WAS a valued tutor on Wyzant with multiple clients but now I refuse to give them any more of my business. Please do not support this underhanded and unreliable company.

Tip for consumers: Do not use this website.

Based upon observations, you have to be invited after you have reached a "stable" level. I don't know if this is based 1) total number of students 2) total number of concurrent students 3) their finding out that I tutored online using other than WyzAnt tools 4) total number of hours 5) length w/WyzAnt At the time I was invited I had 1) 20 total students 2) 6 repeating students 3) used skype to tutor online local WyzAnt student 4) 100+ hours 5) more than 1 year

By Barbara W.

My experience has been they will drop you rather than address a problem. Think about what they do, make money off someones work and talent. Easier to avoid the problem completely!!

By Don P.

Hi. I followed up with Wyzant a number of times. They refused to let me speak to a supervisor and told me that there was nothing they could say about WHY they shut down my profile. I've never encountered such an unhelpful company (except for Comcast)...

By Pam P.

Yes, potential clients of mine said Wyzant hounded them over and over to give billing info. Wyzant apparently thinks it's our job to police them and be sure they do that. All we can do as tutors is echo that we cannot meet them until they do that, however some are hesitant. Not my problem anymore. Wyzant sucks.

By Pam P.

Private tutors would all be better off if Wyzant did not exist. Profit margins are thin and nobody wants somebody skimming 30 % (that is best case scenario: 20% from tutor and 10% from student. Early on the rate is 50%). But Wyzant hires a massive team of graphic designers, programmers and data experts to dominate the internet. So anybody who wants to be a local tutor absolutely must use them to survive. Wyzant provides a service to the consumer, but expects the business to pay most of the cost.

By Nancy S.

Yes, we do! WyzAnt has tutors and teachers qualified in Computer Science as well as a host of specific computer languages such as C++, Ruby, and Javascript.

By Carol E., WyzAnt Representative

Hi Susan, you can personally remove payment information at any time through our dashboard, as long as no lessons charges are pending!

By Carol E., WyzAnt Representative

Hi Jude, tutors on WyzAnt set their own hourly rate, which makes for a wide range of prices. We find most fall within the $30-60 per hour range. Some higher level subjects (eg programming) might be a little higher. It's certainly possible to work within any budget you might have.

By Carol E., WyzAnt Representative

Anna, I am a tutor with WyzAnt. While I don't advertise that I negotiate my fee, if the student has a legitimate reason for a discount, I sometimes agree or compromise. Each individual tutor is different. Therefore, you can ask. I cannot guarantee what the answer will be. -Michelle

By Michelle S.

Questions? Get answers from the WyzAnt staff and other customers.

1 Photo for WyzAnt