US Government’s NSF

Austin, Texas 78703, USA
Tel: 1261440000

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

VRBO/HomeAway and its many subsidiaries and associates provide an advertising forum for renters of holiday apartments and the like. The problem arises when there is a dispute either with VRBO/HomeAway itself or with an owner or renter. You can expect ZERO cooperation. HomeAway will cite its Terms & Conditions to insulate itself from claims for fraud, injury -- even the murder of a renter or owner. Maybe that wouldn't be so bad if all VRBO/HomeAway did was collect an annual fee of $400-$1000 or so. But now they get 6-8%, maybe more, of the rent "in exchange for security". But there is no security. HomeAway is not outpaced, and its competitors provide better (though not iron-clad) guarantees. We were just in court against HomeAway and, as expected, we lost: they flooded the judge with names of affiliate companies, alleging that maybe one of the others was liable, or maybe not. A rotten company to do business with: stay away.

Long time VRBO homeowner here - property #432525.

I've spent a little over 2.5 hours discussing with your "resolution team" the fact that for 7 years my Silver Mill Keystone condo was listed under Silver Mill's address along with all the other properties located at 140 Ida Belle Drive. Today, however, it is no longer listed there with the other 17 2-bedroom units who have also been listed there for the past 7 years.

Something drastic has changed causing my property -- and only my property -- to not be seen right along with all other units in Silver Mill.

VRBO support have suggested that there's no way to include my unit at it's stated and physical address (like the other 17 Silver Mill units with whom I compete). One agent hung up on me when I asked if remedying this issue required an act of Congress or legal action.

I find this treatment and explanation troubling to say the least.

Rather than correct this location flaw in their system, they would prefer -- indeed fight to sustain -- my listing in "Dillon, CO" which is 10 miles away from the physical address listed.

I'm baffled by their support team's resistance to correct the information and search results. When a company becomes so rigid that they reject basic facts and logic, it's probably time to move on.

I've asked three times for a call from someone at VRBO who has a deep understanding of their search system and who can explain precisely why they have no desire to list my property where it is physically located, a seemingly defenseless argument. No managers are apparently interested in this unwinnable argument.

This flaw in search (which has arisen only recently) is killing our reservations; our repeat customers have contacted us by phone indicating they thought we had removed our property from the rental program. That's how bad our specific findability issue is.

Any have any recommendations for a better service.

Bill & Sheryl French
Silver Mill 8210,

Tip for consumers: Be skeptical about their findability claims. They use a manually controlled search model to classify properties and despite this, they claim they have no control over how properties are classified.

The folks at VRBO are as dumb as dirt. Despite being told that I had closed the credit card which I used to pay my refundable security deposit, they refunded the money to a closed account. Their response? Speak to your bank. What bank -- the flipping account is closed?!? They've made their stupid "rules" (they're very big on repeating themselves) my problem. I will NEVER use them again -- they don't have two thoughts to rub together and they're as customer unfriendly as it gets.

Very spacious with all the amenities you could want of a rental. Everyone fully enjoyed the comforts offered at this condo. We could not of asked for a better unit. Mahalo to both of you.

As a user and owner of rental properties accessed via VRBO for many years, I am incredibly disappointing in the direction that Expedia is taking this company. The greed of Expedia and disregard for both owners and renting customer's intelligence is insulting. Saying that the new fees are to help owners and renters is basically a lie. That lie should be answered with people leaving the site, never use VRBO again.

After booking a great accommodation with VRBO, we then booked another place which was totally unsatisfactory for my 23 yr old son and myself (mother) whilst visiting Vancouver. We were expected to share a small room (after the house had been advertised as a five bedroomed and also share space with owners young children. Needless to stay we did not stay there and informed VRBO immediately. They have been totally unhelpful in returning our money despite having a 'book with confidence guarantee', each time we have made contact they have given us the run around, passing us onto different people each call. This has been a very upsetting end to a terrific holiday in Canada

Tip for consumers: When booking accommodation online check money back guarentee if accomdation unsatisfactory

Have your renter book directly with you DON"THAVE THEM PAY SERVICE FEE to Vrbo

I hate vrbo, if you are a landlord don't advertise here please, I wasted lots of money, their rules are awful and screw us over. Hate vrbo , hate it!
they have this crap review system that allows costumer to give bad reviews and costumers use this against landlord to get crap for free and vrbo doenst care, they just want your money, go to a different website, don't advertise here, I willl not renew my add I wish I could know how bad they are before wasting lots of money and just getting dishonest costumers that wants free stay if not they will give me a bad review because vrbo allow them to act like a idiots. I HATE VRBO SO BAD, I WANT THIS COMPANY TO GO OUT OF BUSINESS, LANDLORD PLEASE BE AWARE DON'T ADVERTISE HERE.

I've been a loyal customer of VRBO for nearly 17 years. I can tell you that before its buyout by HomeAway and subsequently Expedia, this was an exceptional company. However, it is no longer the same company. What was formerly an annual fee of less than $100 is now over $1000. And what am I paying for? A page filled with ads from other vendors, marketing of an absolutely useless and very expensive "Vacation Protection" that covers "accidental damage", 3+% credit card transaction fees, heavy pressure for instant booking in which the property owner has little opportunity to weed out potentially bad guests, and now and outrageous 9+% "service fee" imposed on the traveler! What does that get the traveler? According to VRBO, a "Book with Confidence Guarantee", a misleading title that implies the traveler receives a benefit. In reality it just lines the pockets of Expedia shareholders in addition to paying for search engine placement, ensuring their virtual monopoly on the market.

What does the service fee provide me? Lengthy inquiries to my expensive ad that ultimately result in the following types of responses from potential guests:

"Thank you for your prompt reply, Eric. However upon further consideration with my husband we've realized the service fee is over 10% of the cost of the visit and we don't want to pay that. We could use that money towards an extra night elsewhere, which is probably not your fault but just our perspective of things. Thank you anyway, I will have to figure something else out. Sorry for any inconvenience."

So I am the one who takes the financial risk in purchasing a vacation home, putting many years of effort, money and physical labor into it so it can be the best it can be, and struggle to price it competitively in the market, and Expedia makes the profit off my work. Multiplied by hundreds of thousands of similar property owners, Expedia is making billions off of this service fee.

Do yourself a favor and advertise or search for a vacation home on sites such as homeescape dot com that do not charge travelers or owners fees.

I was attempting to plan a birthday weekend for my wife, she is turning 60, and I was attempting to rent a home in Inverness Ca. I sent an email to Wildwood in Inverness. I asked that any and all communication take place via text, as this is a surprise. A few days later I received an email stating my request was declined, unfortunately my wife read the message first. I sent an email to Wildwood informing of this breach of secrecy. The response back was completely unprofessional stating that it wasn't my fault you used a shared email. No remorse for the message being not being sent to my phone. No reason for the decline, there was availability on the vrbo site at the time of request, the only reason I can think of is they didn't want a party at their location. Isn't that what a security deposit is for? We were planning on having 8 professional people to have dinner and celebrate this special time. I wouldn't consider renting from listing #789531 on vrbo.

Tip for consumers: Vrbo is usually very good. This was the opposite.

Terrible company. Ever since Expedia took over the company is spiraling downward. Do not do business. You have been warned.

We have been using VRBO for over 5 years with great results. They used to be great to work with and helpful when anything would arise. Now they are rude, argumentative, and it takes days or weeks to resolve problems. They also charge renters a "service charge" on top of the credit card processing fee that they receive for no service. We will be switching to and any other listing service we can find - it has to be better than what VRBO has become!

We had the worst experience with a property manager that I could imagine. He engaged in an illegal eviction of our party (2 Moms, 2 children in town for a sporting event) 2 nights into a 5-night VRBO rental. VRBO knew we were traveling with children, we provided proof that we did not do any of the things our party was accused of in strange hostile, threatening emails sent by the Property Manager. He threatened to send the police to evict us from his property. Nevertheless, I was repeatedly told by VRBO to get out and that he owns the property and can do what he wants. They never even bothered to learn that he didn't own the house....."yep, we know you are traveling with children. Yep, we know you are 5 hours from home and have no where else to go. Yep, we know you provided proof that you didn't do the things he is accusing you of. It doesn't matter. Get out now". After hours and hours of frustration, I finally talked a VRBO employee to put us up in a hotel. (I have since been told by VRBO that was in error). We were so relieved. We went to gather our belongings, not knowing the worst was yet to come. When we arrived at the property, we realized the Property Manager deliberately locked us out!!!!! He maliciously prevented us from getting our belongings. VRBO reassured us that the Property Manager boxed them up and shipped our stuff, as we looked through the windows at all of our belongings. Oh yeah, he also illegally kept our $1500.00 "refundable security deposit." VRBO did nothing to protect us from this Property Manager's illegal eviction, illegal threats of using the police to remove us from the property, illegal prevention of getting our belongings, and the illegal retention of our Security Deposit. VRBO knew we had children with us and they D I D N'T C A R E. They refuse to refund any portion of the rent, as the Property Manager was paid for all 5 nights....yep. I paid for 2 nights after I was ILLEGALLY evicted. They will not help us get the "refundable damage deposit" either. My advice: Don't support VRBO any longer. Don't pay extra fees for a "guarantee" that simply doesn't exist. If they won't honor it for the horror we experienced, they will never honor it. I am going to look for local property rental managers next time, or stick with hotels. I have never been illegally evicted from a hotel before.

Review #15824590 Beaches, Boats & Blue Water! Some winter weeks still available: Seas the Moment!

False Advertising

I originally tried to rent this place according to what I thought was the minimum stay of 5 nights according to the VRBO listing. I received an email from the property manager stating the minimum stay for that time was 10 nights. I looked at the VRBO listing again and noticed more notes near the bottom that stated the minimum stay was 7 nights. I revised my request to accommodate the advertised listing and resubmitted the request. I received another email from * reiterating the 10 night minimum and to please call her. I called and another woman answered the phone. She advised the minimum stay was 10 nights. I told her the advertised listing was for 7 nights and that I had rearranged my travel plans to accommodate. She was not interested in doing the right thing. She told me she was not going to do anything to make this right. I would recommend against dealing with dishonest people.

Reviewer location
Sneads Ferry, NC

Scott can you call me we do have availability for your dates but have a 10 night minimum.

Warm regards,

I called VRBO several times and they basically said, we don't care. I am done with VRBO.

*Personal information redacted by admin.

Tip for consumers: Don't

I rented a condo in Mammoth Lakes CA in July of 2016. I started with VRBO. They turned me over to Mammoth Reservation Bureau who handled the reservation workload through my arrival. I was charged $35 reservation processing fee by the Bureau and $37.80 fee by VRBO (Homeaway). All this for a $573.40 3-night condo rental including travel insurance. I figure that's 12.7% in reservation fees. The Bureau worked for their fee, while the VRBO only provided a search engine to find an acceptable rental. The VRBO fee should have been paid by the condo owner and possibly only a few dollars. If I had a problem, the Bureau would have solved it, not the VRBO.

I have rented upwards of ten properties through VRBO over the last several years. Each experience has been positive with our chosen properties and the owners. I have never written a negative review and have always had responsive owners who dealt with any issues that arose during our stay. I recently rented a property in Magnolia, Texas for my brother's 60th birthday. The property was not as it was advertised, especially the outdoor living space. I called the owner upon arrival and expressed my disappointment. He was extremely offended that his property was being criticized and asked if I wanted a refund (in a very hostile manner). I said "of course not", but I wanted you to know that someone could have bothered to blow the leaves off the patio, clean the pool, clean the bbq grill (which was completely rusted out on top of being filthy). To his credit, he came the next morning and cleaned up and we had no further interaction. I left the house on time in tip top shape, cleaner than when I arrived. I did not write a negative review, because I thought the issue had been satisfactorily resolved between myself and the owner. Low and behold, he reviews ME and claims I didn't follow house rules and didn't communicate. I have no earthly idea what rules I didn't follow and it seems to me he posted the negative review because I communicated too much and hurt his feelings. He offered no explanation, just a one star review. I can't respond to this negative review by the owner and he chooses not to acknowledge my requests for an explanation. So, I'm left looking like a bad customer when I did nothing wrong other than express my disappointment in his property (and I'm not a jerky person, I was very calm and polite the entire time I dealt with this man).

This is not for ownrs but Property Managers charging outrageous fees. I actually went to Craig List and got a better deal

VRBO corrected the problem after connecting with a very nice young lady. Problem was incorrect bank account info.

I have been booking through VRBO since 2011 and have been quite satisfied. Naturally I went back to VRBO when I decided on PCB for my wedding and honeymoon. My fiancée booked a one bedroom condo for 158.00 dollars a night. Great price! After picking through details I found a booking fee on top of the cleaning fees and property management fees. To my dismay and horror I found out that VRBO has been sold to home away. So I'm being charged twice for booking!!!! Never again will home away or VRBO be part of my holiday plans.

Steals money from owners above normal fees
Charges owners the fees associated With renters who use their credit cards?

Poor record keeping ... Lost owner bank account informations and does not deposit money that belongs to home owners

Pass the buck by not consistently following up

Stay away from this agency

I am in the process of fighting a charge back - I am unable to get the docs I need from VRBO. I think I finally have what I need - a screen shot of the cancellation policy with the box checked for the cancellation guest in question. Then YOUR merchant service provider, the ONE and ONLY ONE you offer to people like me to pay your fees, sends me this:

Send the rental agreement to the guest to sign and return and have the guest initial any important clause in the agreement such as your cancellation policy or policies around pets or smoking. This can and should also be done at check in. Currently, VISA does not accept E-signature in regards to proper disclosure, they only support click to accept. Part of the reasoning is that with current technology, VISA is unable to determine when the signature was provided or if it was copied and pasted.

REALLY? Visa doesn't accept checked boxes...or are you protecting me? I am sure others do not know this.

VRBO is one of many vacation rental sites now - please do not auto renew my membership. Very shady relationship you have with the CC Processing 3rd party.

I paid them 350 $ for my own private listing page for a year. so I get done setting it up and when it publishes , low and behold , on my page that I paid for there are " sponsored links " for competing properties. that's completely unacceptable and (surprise ) they won't do anything about it.

It is pretty unbelievable that after witnessing AirBnB's successful business model and user-friendly website that VRBO would continue to operate as horribly as it does. The website is SO poorly designed and confusing. The app never works properly. But the best of all, they take a HUGE cut in the reservations AND will restrict your listing out of the blue! If you are not doing the amount of business they approve of, they will just drop you. How does that make any sense?? Oh, it's because they want you to PAY $900 for a yearly subscription! IDIOTS! You want me to sell more but pay to sell more??? What planet? Who operates this POS site? This is the second time I've been restricted and I swear I will NEVER advertise my properties again! Air BnB is the REAL DEAL!!!!

Normally I don't get a snippy customer service rep but I have twice with this team. To their credit they are Americans and not Phillipinos or Indians (non-native speakers) but they copped an attitude when I suggested their site had a glitch (two, actually). To fix the glitch the tech marked a Traveler Inquiry as Spam which is incorrect. The VRBO site actually showed this Traveler had "1of2 Payments Outstanding" when she never booked in the first place. In fact, my page STILL lists this Traveler as owing. Furthermore, I rec'd a reply from a customer rep a week after my initial contact and it had nothing to do with my inquiry, so I responded back five days ago and have yet to hear back. These guys don't have their act together (yet they're charging a total of 16.6% of my booking, all fees included.) Not getting my monies worth. Wish they had competition!

We listed our home in February 2016, and less than two weeks after, VRBO began sneaking a "service fee" in to our guests. We have a large home, and for some guests this fee was $499.00--can you imagine paying nearly $500.00 for NO SERVICE--and this was in our opinion a violation of our contract.

Several months ago, a guest tried to extort me, by implying a negative review would be forthcoming if they did not get a refund (approximately $5000). These were horrific guests, who were drunk and disorderly, and had the police called on them by three sets of neighbors. When I received the correspondence saying they were not the "kind of person to leave a negative review but expected a refund", I contacted VRBO in writing and told them a guest was trying to extort me, Customer Service wrote back that I should "call the police" if I felt threatened and that I could write a response to the negative review. Fast forward several weeks, the nasty and full of lies review is posted. I have upcoming guests contacting me to ask what the condition of the property is, and a month-long booking canceled as a result. I wrote a response saying this review is "malicious and untrue" and VRBO will not post my reply, saying it it is "unprofessional" to write that her review is not true. I was told by a supervisor at VRBO Customer Service that merely implying extortion is OK--that guests must directly write, "Refund my money or I will write a negative review"--as if most people clearly advertise they are breaking the law! I think a first year law student knows extortion, either explicit or implied, is illegal. I will be moving our properties over to AirBnB and other sites as soon as our contract is up next year.

51 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the VRBO staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question