US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

lynne356
1/22/17

Never rented my house on Longboat Key FL. The company was not helpful at all when I called them! I went out of my way to include excellent photos and good description of all of the amenities. My advice would be to go through a local agency that you know and trust.

joano18
1/21/17

Posted rental average rates are fantasy. The average final price without the security deposit is typically two to three times more than stated. 3 bedroom rentals charge $200 more for 6 adults. Why does this happen? Why is there a service fee? I have been using vrbo and homeaway for 10 years. Doubtful i will ever use them again.

stephanief60
1/16/17

VRBO/Home Away has deteriorated since Expedia bought them! They also held onto money from a property that I was declined. After an hour and a half on the telephone they gave me a "confirmation number" to cancel the payment. When I called the bank they said the company would have to contact them or fax the cancellation. I didn't get the money returned until I filed a formal complaint.

lm102
1/12/17

Deceitful, lying, unhelpful, total jerks. Can't say enough bad things about this website. Please stay away.

romanj4
1/12/17

I rented a home through VRBO in NYC in early December for 8 people. The home was fine. Upon making the reservation, I was asked for the rental fee along with a refundable $1000 damage deposit. The deposit would be refunded ~14 days after checkout as long as the owner agreed that no damage was incurred. About 4 weeks after we checked out, I called the owner to see if the refund was on it's way. He told me that there were no issues and he believed he released VRBO to process the deposit. I called VRBO/Homeaway and, by the way, getting through to VRBO is almost impossible. I spoke with 13 different people over the course of 4 days. They kept telling me it's an issue with the owner. I called the owner back several times who assured me the problem is not at his end but with VRBO. This ping pong match is still going on and I don't have my $1000. VRBO has written me an email (instead of a requested call from a live person) which basically says I'm on my own. They told me they are not responsible for the damage deposit and to check the fine print on their website.
I have rented from VRBO several times over the years and have never had an issue until now. I called one of the property managers I had rented from before and was told that VRBO was acquired by Expedia a while back and since then, the company has had a multitude of issues with property owners and renters alike. I will never rent from VRBO again. They are just walking away from my problem. Their concept of customer service is very different than mine. They get their money and they are done with you.
Anyone who reads this, please take note that your security deposit may be something you'll never see again.
If indeed, this is a bigger issue with the Expedia people and their management approach being implemented at VRBO, than shame on you too. I won't be doing anything on your website either.
Good luck to any one who does business with these companies.

pppf
1/10/17

Hello Everyone,
Come and join the webinar on Jan 21'2017 on how to become independent of listing websites. Click on the below link to register for the webinar:

janeh75
1/7/17

Review received! Just one more thing to do

We have received your review for Property #133223 Once you confirm it, we can work on getting it live! Read the review below; if everything's correct, just click the button to confirm.

The owner has to accept the review before they will publish it, so needless to say that will never happen:

This is how they advertise the property. Beautiful Lake Tuscaloosa Luxury Waterfront Home
What they should say, if they want to be truthful is "Gross, filthy, rundown home, no pride of ownership, old home on lake with a ridiculous price to pay." Besides, false misleading advertising, she is a thief!

VRBO: Gross filthy property, please read my review. Don't let her ruin your precious vacation time.
Worst property ever!

The fridge was filthy, full of food, opened bottles, out dated milk, just gross. The filthy oven was beyond use, the kitchen and laundry room floor didn't look like it had ever had a good cleaning. The main bath wouldn't drain, the toilet was stopped up and the floor was so dirty your shoes stuck to it. WE had to clean everything before we could stay there, and unclog the drain, the toilet in the main bath. The kitchen cabinets had dried food and stains . You can't even imagine, I felt like there were bugs and things were crawling all over me. I will admit I am a very clean meticulous person and when I spend my money and time, I am very perturbed that someone would treat us so badly.On Saturday night there was a "huge" black roach on the kitchen ceiling. We tried to get it down to kill it, but it ran beneath the dishwasher. I found some bug killer and sprayed it all around the dishwasher trying to get it out & kill it. We later killed another roach above the door to the back bedroom.
The owner notified me that she was going to keep out $500.00 refundable deposit because there was a smell of cat urine/or strong chemical smell and that one of her portable Blue Tooth speakers was missing. We each flew 2000 miles each way to go there, we certainly did not take a cat with us, especially as I am deadly allergic to cats. I will admit I know exactly what the chemical smell is from, it was my cleaning the house with the chemicals she had beneath the kitchen sink and the roach killer I found and used for the roaches. We found out after we got home that her house was listed for sale and there were probably a couple hundred realtors that had the combination of the lockbox, so wonder why she would accuse us of taking the speaker when there were many people coming in and out of the house that could have taken the speaker. Anyway the portable speakers can be bought for $25.00 most anywhere and of course we didn't see it, nor take it. There was no inventory list as far as we know there were no speakers.
If you think VRBO (HomeAway) is going to help you, you have another think coming. They are no help at all, you are on your own. They told me to go direct to the owner and settle it with her.
We are going to continue enjoying our trips as we usually do in beautiful five star hotels and resorts, we will not have someone like this ruin our vacation time again.
I wish you all the best of luck if you should decide to venture out with VRBO and HomeAway, I'm sure they do have some very nice places but we thought this one was nice, the pictures were beautiful. We just won't take that chance again.

Date of arrival
November 11, 2016

Tip for consumers: BE CAREFUL ! !

danan9
1/2/17

DO NOT RENT FROM SANDY VACATIONS! Hali'i Kai 10H in Waikoloa Hawaii!

Check these photos out
$5900 for 10 days in a total filthy dirty unit! No AC, 8 burnt out light bulbs, bugs, we have tons of bites! Dirty old sheets, pillows & bedding. Dirty pots & pans in the cupboard, mold in the dishwasher & shower heads... Garbage in the vase on the front porch... no handle on the microwave oven, missing screens,broken windows & blinds, broken fan...
It was horrible! The filthy kitchen mat was so old the backing had disintegrated and was like a pile of sand on the floor... hence the "joke cleaning company" never cleaned under it, or much else by the looks of the place. Per the cleaning co-We don't usually turn on all the lights when we clean, we don't check the dishes every time we clean... no wonder it's a dump! The maintenance man was " off the island " for the holiday I was told... by the condition of this place there is
"No"maintenance man!
The grand finale today was the power company shut the power off as we were leaving! Apparently the bill hadn't been paid since 9/30/16.

Sandy wanted her $5900
2 months prior to our arrival not sure where that money goes, because it sure as hell isn't used to keep this place up.

FYI
Her penthouse in The Fairway villas had similar issues in 2/2016 .

catheyc
12/31/16

I would like to file a complaint about an owner lying after I left a negative review. His response to my negative complaint was nothing but lies. I took pics of the condo and how it was left.

ss231
12/28/16

I booked a property and paid the entire amount in full up front. (DO NOT DO THIS, YOU WILL REGRET IT!) The property owner never 'confirmed' the reservation yet VRBO took the entire amount (over $1100) out of my bank account and now I'm trying to get my money refunded. You will spend LOTS of time chasing YOUR money to get it back. If you can find the customer service number on their website (877-202-4291) you will speak to someone who thinks this is no big deal and will forward you on to their financial folks (866-210-6106). From there you will be given cancellation authorization codes and be told to call your bank only to find out the cancellation transaction has not processed from VRBO and you will need to wait another day to see if it processes over night. I will NEVER book a reservation again...this is ONE BIG HASSLE. I'll return to let you know exactly how many days my $1100+ is tied up in limbo.

coryr12
12/17/16

Booked an apartment for 10 days for Dec 27-Jan 6 2017. In the beggining of Nov the owner took the deposit of $200US and then a few days later took the first payment $633US and then a final payment of $540US. We then received an email from vrbo around Dec 1 stating they suspended be account of the home owner we were renting, and to cease all communication with them. We explained that we had already payed the full fee. They were no assistance and told us that they would reach out to the owner to return the money. The home owner could not access there account to return the money. Here we are for two weeks dealing with Vrbo with no conclusion until visa gets involved and sends an ultimatum to vrbo. They then make action to return money and we get refunded out amount on Dec 14 minus $150US currency exchange fees, plus no where to live. I will never use vrbo agaim as they were no assistance and ended up costing us money and bo place to live. Vrbo is terrible!!

lindaw217
12/16/16

Great if you don't have issues with the home owner. I paid over $1500 deposit for a 7 week stay and when I went to pay the remaining $1600 plus, I was told the payment would not go through due to a problem on the end of the homeowner! After multiple attempts to resolve this, and hours on the phone with VBRO, & calling the homeowner they tell me they will look into it. They made two attempts to email the homeowner and the homeowner says he contacts them and they say my credit card is declined. I called my bank and they said there is no way the credit card was declined. They tell me they will turn it over to their IT department and can't tell me when the problem will be resolved and if not resolved by tomorrow I am out over $1,580.00 and the homeowner has the right to keep the money and rent the space! I called the homeowner and he has not called me back. VBRO had no problem taking my extra $200 to be assured I would not be scammed and now they tell me that I can't get my $1580 deposit back unless the homeowner releases it? WHAT???? DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH VBRO or HOME AWAY!!! I have used them MANY times and no problems. BUT when you do encounter a problems you get NO support! BEWARE!!!

johnd677
12/12/16

Worst company to do business with. After booking, their property owners cancel reservations and you have to pay fee even though you did not cancel or did nothing wrong. They refuse to help. Their system will also not let you talk to anyone but the customer service rep on the phone. Terrible. Will never book anything with them again.

soniab26
12/10/16

Leased a property through VRBO and what a mistake. 2 weeks have passed and still no outcome, no return calls of emails. We constantly call and get given excuses after excuses. Money transferred including bond as requested 2 weeks ago and no one at VRBO can help or even advise if the accommodation that we paid for is available. Once money was transferred no one cares. VRBO IS A SCAM. Never to use again.

rayp39
11/18/16

Travelmob, along with VRBO and many others like them fly under the flag of Homeaway, which has legal ties to Expedia, coerce together to provide differing policies which inhibit your ability for a refund should you find something not right with your booking leaving you no grounds for recourse.

After receiving a reply from a host on VRBO I was prompted to continue a booking through VRBO via Travelmob, which somehow is an affiliate of VRBO. The policies of VRBO differ to that of Travelmob with Travelmob having the worst of the two.

The fundamental differences of two policies meant the 'Book with confidence' policy of VRBO was meaningless.

Travelmob, having no moral compass, willingly aligns itself with companies whose policies are heavily advertised as being beneficial to the guest while their own are far from it. VRBO, also with no moral compass, palm you off to 'companies' like Travelmob during the booking process excluding themselves from legal responsibilities from those companies policies whom have no incentive or desire for you to make a booking in confidence.

The accuracy of the filtering process of all of the associated companies leaves much to be desired. An apartment I initially had an interest in came up after going through the filtering process. I'd requested a washer, dryer and a balcony. As it turns out, there was no dryer, only a shared washer on a balcony which was also shared by other tenants of the building. All this on the roof of an apartment listed as a penthouse.

Travelmob couldn't care less about these discrepancies and was only interested in lining their pockets with booking fees.

Id suggest steering well clear of any companies flying under the Homeaway flag including Expedia itself.

A list of the known companies related to Homeaway can be found at the bottom of their website page homeaway(dot)com.

There are also many hosts dissatisfied with their lack of a moral compass.

See also:

carolp85
11/17/16

I have been using VRBO and Vacation rentals for 10 years to advertise my vacation rental. I have NEVER had a bad review until last week. The reviewer was lying ( and I provided email proof to VRBO) but they will not remove the review. I provided the emails where the reviewer said she wanted more money off or she would give me a bad review. They don't care if the reviewer is lying.. They said they can't help me at all. They were rude and could care less . about their customers. I will be looking for alternatives to VRBO, Vacation rentals.com and Home Away.

suzannem52
11/13/16

Do not use this company or any Home away banners. Since bought by Expedia, they take your money but give you no help if needed. My rental was canceled for no good reason three days before my arrival! No help, no compensation, zilch!
Suzanne Maurice
Montreal

jennifers300
11/12/16

My husband and I recently traveled from Virginia to North Carolina for a weekend getaway in which we booked a rental property in Hot Springs, NC two months in advance. Initially when I booked the rental I noticed that the owner and family use the property as a "vacation" home during the summer months. I booked my getaway in November so I anticipated having a private romantic weekend with my husband however when we arrived at the property we noticed that the owner was not only living at the home but had rented the top floor of the house out to a mystery couple. The "innkeeper" not only deceptively forgot to mention that she never had any intentions of letting us know that we would not have access to the entire property but that we would be sharing the space but she also obnoxiously shuffled about on the top floor of the house all night and morning. I felt totally awkward about the situation so my husband and I ended up leaving early I would not recommend 179 Dear Leap in Riverdance to anyone looking for a private getaway

margis
11/10/16

Rented Sunrise Lodge on Lake Fork for two nights. Payment for the two nights plus a $300 deposit taken as soon as rent button clicked which was appoximately 3 weeks before we were to go. Now 4 days after rental, we are told we must contact owner to get deposit back but owner has 7 to 14 days to refund deposit. Email address for owner by longer valid. Going to try phone number tomorrow. Never going to use VBRO ever again.

faberf
11/2/16

Had a vacation rental booked 10 months in advanced to travel with my family of 7 to New Orleans for Halloween. On the shuttle ride to the property I notice that I have an email stating that the reservation had been cancelled due to an electrical issue at the property. I contact VRBO to find out what are they going to do to help me? They told me that they have on a certain budget to work within and that they could my family up in a hotel for the night 30 miles away from where we were suppose to be and that I was on my own to try and find a place to stay for the duration of the trip. I was a stranded traveler with a party of 7 (my family) and this is their policy. BEWARE, BEWARE, BEWARE of using this company and please have a back-up plan for yourself if you decide to use them.

amandab150
10/29/16

We used to use VRBO, and then later VRBO/HomeAway to list our second home on the vacation rental market. That was a few years ago, and even back then they were getting a bit intrusive. Now, we are looking to rent our new second home, and there is no way we will EVER use HomeAway or VRBO. They have managed to damage the whole concept of renting one's second home. Really? Holding onto payments/deposits, charging travelers hidden exorbitant booking fees, all for what? Just being a go-between for property owners and nice families who want to travel without hotels.

The only way for this to change is to stop using them. Stop paying them. It will hurt us for a little while (or not hurt us at all, according to many of these posts), but let's support FlipKey, HomeEscape.com, Airbnb, and anything, ANYTHING, other than Expedia/HomeAway/VRBO. If we keep supporting their business model, they will win. They will stamp out the joy of renting a private home. And keep in mind Expedia bought HomeAway/VRBO for 3.9 BILLION. That is to be earned from all of us. Sickening.

vonb2
10/27/16

Looked at my listing today and it said 'not currently bookable'. When I spoke with CS, he was very rude and basically said that they were not making money off my listing and when I purchase a subscription, they'll relist me. Last year, I had a subscription and got a little over 40 days. This year, doing pay/booking and have 80 days booked for the year. These people are unbelievable. Luckily, I do not depend solely on them to get my listing booked. I know these 80 days will be easily booked through other sites so needless to say, I will not be getting a new subscription. It's too bad that they are so greedy and don't appreciate the customers that create their business. I hope no one allows themselves to be bullied into paying for this horrible service.

horstk
10/19/16

VRBO/HomeAway and its many subsidiaries and associates provide an advertising forum for renters of holiday apartments and the like. The problem arises when there is a dispute either with VRBO/HomeAway itself or with an owner or renter. You can expect ZERO cooperation. HomeAway will cite its Terms & Conditions to insulate itself from claims for fraud, injury -- even the murder of a renter or owner. Maybe that wouldn't be so bad if all VRBO/HomeAway did was collect an annual fee of $400-$1000 or so. But now they get 6-8%, maybe more, of the rent "in exchange for security". But there is no security. HomeAway is not outpaced, and its competitors provide better (though not iron-clad) guarantees. We were just in court against HomeAway and, as expected, we lost: they flooded the judge with names of affiliate companies, alleging that maybe one of the others was liable, or maybe not. A rotten company to do business with: stay away.

billf58
10/19/16

Hello,

Long time VRBO homeowner here - property #432525.

I've spent a little over 2.5 hours discussing with your "resolution team" the fact that for 7 years my Silver Mill Keystone condo was listed under Silver Mill's address along with all the other properties located at 140 Ida Belle Drive. Today, however, it is no longer listed there with the other 17 2-bedroom units who have also been listed there for the past 7 years.

Something drastic has changed causing my property -- and only my property -- to not be seen right along with all other units in Silver Mill.

VRBO support have suggested that there's no way to include my unit at it's stated and physical address (like the other 17 Silver Mill units with whom I compete). One agent hung up on me when I asked if remedying this issue required an act of Congress or legal action.

I find this treatment and explanation troubling to say the least.

Rather than correct this location flaw in their system, they would prefer -- indeed fight to sustain -- my listing in "Dillon, CO" which is 10 miles away from the physical address listed.

I'm baffled by their support team's resistance to correct the information and search results. When a company becomes so rigid that they reject basic facts and logic, it's probably time to move on.

I've asked three times for a call from someone at VRBO who has a deep understanding of their search system and who can explain precisely why they have no desire to list my property where it is physically located, a seemingly defenseless argument. No managers are apparently interested in this unwinnable argument.

This flaw in search (which has arisen only recently) is killing our reservations; our repeat customers have contacted us by phone indicating they thought we had removed our property from the rental program. That's how bad our specific findability issue is.

Any have any recommendations for a better service.

Bill & Sheryl French
Silver Mill 8210, https://www.vrbo.com/432525

Tip for consumers: Be skeptical about their findability claims. They use a manually controlled search model to classify properties and despite this, they claim they have no control over how properties are classified.

jodie-bethg
10/16/16

The folks at VRBO are as dumb as dirt. Despite being told that I had closed the credit card which I used to pay my refundable security deposit, they refunded the money to a closed account. Their response? Speak to your bank. What bank -- the flipping account is closed?!? They've made their stupid "rules" (they're very big on repeating themselves) my problem. I will NEVER use them again -- they don't have two thoughts to rub together and they're as customer unfriendly as it gets.

54 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the VRBO staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question