Review of VRBO

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

johnm1030
4/25/17

Our reservation for a peak time in Ann Arbor was canceled less than a week before our trip because the manager could get a better rate. We were forced to book with a hotel 30 minutes outside of town at an inflated rate. VRBO kept our money for over a month. We were refunded but wind up with inconvenient and more expensive accommodations. They provide no support whatsoever. If you can afford a cancellation, maybe they're ok. If you really need a room, don't trust them

bonnies86
4/25/17

VRBO was bought by Expedia and they did away with the tier system. I have listed my units with VRBO since 2002 and never had a problem til recently. The renter gets charged a ridiculous 6 - 10% fee on top of everything. The vetting of potential renters is next to nothing, and recently we have had underage renters get through the process and secure a reservation. It has been nothing but problems. On line booking should be the owners choice, but this is no longer an option or VRBO will not let you renew your subscription. Take the advice of everyone on this stream and drop VRBO....find a different site!

qd6
4/24/17

Wow! Most Reviews online for VRBO were dismal. I didn't believe them. I gave it a chance and decided to list my timeshare with VRBO. I went through the whole online process and provided all the information they asked. Their "payment" office then emailed me to get verification of my reserved week and a deed. I email them all documents per their request... so far so good.

Somehow along the process and a week later, my account got locked up and the login site said, "This account has been locked. If you have forgotten your password, you can click on the 'Forgot Password' link below to reset your password and unlock your account."

I thought, maybe I did forget the password. I followed that suggestion and received an email to reset my password... I then tried to log in with the new password, but the same thing happened... I tried that three times and got nowhere.

I did more searching online, and on their Help page it told me that if the login is locked, it can only be resolved by calling in... but the phone number was no where to be found on that Help note. I then had to search for the phone for Customer Support... Upon find the phone number, I dialed and the phone prompt said "due to a high volume of calls, the wait will be about 20 minutes..." I decided to wait and 40 minutes later (twice as long as mentioned) I finally got through.

After 5 minutes, the first representative could not solve the problem and transferred me to the Trust verification department (not sure why, but I didn't want to argue and just wanted to move the process along).

The rep from the Trust verification department said that I need to send in a copy of the deed, which I already sent to their Payment department but apparently that was a separate company and the "Trust" lady doesn't have a copy. I asked her why no one has made that request from me after a week has gone by. She didn't have an answer...

By this point after waiting and being on the phone for 1 hour, I had enough information and concluded that VBRO is not a good company for me to deal with since I already wasted so much time with them. I am no better off than I was 1 week ago. I cut my losses (e.g. time and energy) and decided not to list my timeshare with them. There are other companies that I am dealing with and nothing is as clunky as dealing with VRBO.

Go elsewhere to list your property and read the negative comments from other owners and users. Good luck!

gaile16
4/24/17

I booked a flat in Munich Germany for two weeks. I was able to make the initial payment through the vrbo site, but not the final payment. I reported the problem to VRBO customer service and was told it was a problem on the owner's part because they changed bank account information. Fast forward a month and multiple attempts to work with the property owner (who was a helpful as he could be) and VRBO, I finally gave up and made the final payment using PayPal. Customer Service folks could only read from their script and try the same steps over and over. They refused to escalate the problem. They finally said there was nothing they could do to fix their own problem and I was on my own to work with the owner. Don't waste your time using VRBO.

luluc2
4/23/17

We listed on VRBO in September 2016 same time as Airbnb. On Airbnb we have hosted over 80 bookings with only 1 who turned into a problem guest. On VRBO we hosted 4 bookings with 3 who turned out to be absolutely terrible, including throwing a 40-50 people party without our consent. We found out later that it was because VRBO has been marketing to college students encouraging them to book their graduation party house through the site. It is consistent with the sub-standard crowd that VRBO attracts since Airbnb has cornered the market in quality, professional 30+ age crowd.

Additionally, the 9-10% fee versus Airbnb's 3% doesn't inconvenience me, the host, because I just charge more money to make up for the ridiculous margin that VRBO takes - it sucks for the guest. But it's worth mentioning that for that additional % fee, you will receive terrible customer service and no guest vetting (VRBO's original problem).

There is a clause in VRBO's Host Guarantee insurance policy which is like Airbnb's Million Dollar policy but more complicated and bureaucratic. The clause does not cover bookings that are booked less than 24 hours in advance. It is a pretty important clause! The problem is that the site's navigation does nothing to protect you from these secret clauses. I require that all guests must pay to have this insurance policy, but on VRBO, it will allow guests to book without it anyway. I can only imagine how many more of these shady clauses we would have found out the hard way about, if I hadn't paused my listing and decided I will never rent my home through this service again.

kendallk10
4/20/17

VRBO used to be a great vehicle to advertise on but not anymore. I will never again rent or list my property on this site. They was to charge owners and renters crazy fees and hide what they are doing. I called and talk to someone in another country that can never answer my questions. Flipkey is no better. Go to Airbnb!!!

stacev
4/20/17

When you try to book a certain area in Hawaii be advised that VRBO 's first 10 -20 pages are only properties that pay an extra fee...also there is a 90% chance the area you think you booked could very well not be. Say your request /filter was the Northshore of the island of Oahu.... pages and pages of properties will come up and if you are not familiar with the island you won't recognize one area from another. Believe me.. chances are you just booked a property 45 miles from where you thought you were staying. I'd go with Airbnb...Flipkey any of these will be a better deal and more accurate representation for vacationers and owners.

fernb6
4/18/17

the dogs bark 24/7 and the owners seem to encourage it-the transfer of noise to my
mother in law unit from owners dogs is beyond not acceptable-does make the airport noise sound like bliss by comparison-this has been a very long anything but a vacation month I know better than to
try to write a negative vrbo review because it won't get published-stay away from any
listing that says cozy in San Diego Point Loma posted on vrbo airbnb etc

Tip for consumers: it should be cozy studio heart Point Loma OB pink print couch
in the picture that you want to steer way way clear of

feliciaf9
4/10/17

VRBO is a seriously a badly run company. I own a great Las Vegas property and was getting minimal but some bookings from VRBO (Air B&B is they only way to go) they basically told me because to many of their clients inquired about my property but did not book that I had t switch my plan or they would not advertise me any longer. Not impressed with anything about them-especially there customer service, which is basically NON-EXISTENT !!!

tm129
4/9/17

After having had my listing with VRBO for the past 4 years ...it's time to say GOODBYE and go to a more reputable organization.....forcing owners to take on-line listings, charging exhorbitant fees from both owners and renters.....contract violations, not posting reviews, changing owners ads, problems with deposits from renters, bad customer service, making it difficult to navigate thru the site (always trying to force on-line bookings), showing ficticious rates and then having to explain to PISSED potential renters what a SCAM "VRBO" has become !!!

helenc98
4/9/17

PhilippinesI am a consumer who is trying to book a rental property. Initially when I booked the property and paid a substantial deposit I received no confirmation from VRBO of my payment. I chased this with the owner who did confirm that the payment had been made. I am now within 4 weeks of arrival at the rental property and have received nothing from VRBO requesting the balance payment. Once again I contacted the owner who believes VRBO have tried to contact me twice. I rang VRBO to try and sort this out and got through to some young female in the Philippines that struggled to understand English. I am now waiting for a call back from the customer service manager ...I will never book another property through VRBO it is too much hassle ...I have no faith that when I arrive the property will be available?

davidj261
4/7/17

We own one vacation rental in our neighborhood in Japan. Years ago, VRBO charged us to advertise with them, we received inquiries and dealt with potential guests in our own way. Now we are bullied into asking for payments via VRBO ( they charge guests a fee!!! ). Also the customer support is awful. Flipkey is much better.

jacquiw5
4/6/17

Every few months there is some type of computer glitch that essentially deletes one of my properties from the site. It can't be found using the applicable search criteria and it takes a week or more to solve the problem. Now that they are forcing owners to use their online payment system so they can charge a percentage based fee for all OUR rentals, I will be using another marketing site since the only thing that made VRBO more advantageous to the other sites was its low rate.

stephena51
4/3/17

Vrbo is the most inept unprofessional clueless company i have ever dealt with. The reps are poorly trained rude and clueless. They are so poorly trained they actually lie and refuse to escalate issues. The new vrbo service fee is rediculous and pithetic. The company as a whole is and has opened themselves up to multiple class action lawsuits. The actually admit to discrimination in their policies, procedures, and test programs. The lack of communication is epic and deliberate. It is amazing vrbo is actually on business.

deboraha46
3/30/17

I am a property owner, listed a unit with VBRO, HOMEAWAY.....the first of March. Half the time out of 74 units @ this complex only 37 show up. Mine being one not showing up, my reviews, reservations..... do not show @ anytime.
I have had 4 other Gulf Front condo that were rented about 90% of the time.
I spend hours on the phone daily (sometimes more than once a day) I have not had one single inquiry, much less a reservation. I have peak times on a 3 bedroom, 3 bath Oceanfront unit that has not rented - because of this business (businesses)

davidm617
3/30/17

This company and the property owner are out to fleece you out of you money. They will cancel your reservation at a moment notice, breaking a legal contact with some bull$#*! reason then rent the unit for a higher rate.They conveniently do not keep rates and availability current on the web site, and their costumer service is deplorable.My suggestion is to deal with a reputable company and let these scam artists die a slow painful financial death.

lysbeths
3/30/17

The owner never accepted the reservation and Home Away sent me an email stating my account was not charged. However they kept the money on hold and would not release it back into my account. There customer service and account processing is apparently overseas and there is a language barrier to getting service. This company is shady in its practices. If you value your money stay away

ronaldn13
3/28/17

I screwed up and honored a request from a VBRO landlord to pay in advance via Paypal for full rental and $500 security deposit. When my security deposit was not returned, I filed a case with VBRO notifying them this home owner had successfully persuaded me to pay using Paypal and now will not respond to my repeated requests to refund my security deposit. I tried to file a negative review to inform others of my unfortunate dealing with this landlord; my review was rejected by VBRO. Bottom line is this web site only allows positive reviews to be published and sanctions dishonest property owners!! Wow do not trust anything you read on VBRO web site.

cindyb130
3/21/17

I paid the deposit as instructed, and stated no where on the papers that were emailed to me that they would charge (VRBO-Home Away) a additional $84.00 until it showed up on my Credit Card.
WILL NEVER GO THROUGH THIS SITE AGAIN.

jackf71
3/20/17

I've rented our two vacation homes ourselves for more than a decade. One is on Bald Head Island. An island with no bridge - only ferry. Last year they changed the search engine so if a vacationer puts in bald head island they get ten pages of homes on the mainland before they get to our listing on the island. I guess they think the ferry service is good enough. VRBO is a greedy terrible customer service business that has increased their cost to owners to list while substantially decreasing service and now charge vacationers too. They took my money and ran - don't let them take your's. If these guys owned CarFax they would be charging buyers a percentage of the sale price to look at the reports. Greedy!!!

andreac117
3/17/17

Numbers don't lie. VRBO you should listen to what customers are saying. The demise of your business is forthcoming if you continue doing what you are doing to both the owners and the renters. Anticipate a lot of owners will leave your "service" and a lot of renters will be looking on other sites. The latest ratings for VRBO - tell the story.

Rating Distribution

5 stars ......................38
4 stars ......................21
3 stars ......................13
2 stars.......................39
1 star.......................438

sarahw177
3/15/17

VRBO used to be our go to site for vacation rentals and we have had three or four great stays and I have just booked another in Florida. However, while perusing properties in the Carolinas, I noticed that many had fees added (service fees of up to $89) and that with taxes, cleaning and sometimes other miscellaneous charges the price would be much more than originally stated. Also "average" nightly price would be many times that once you put your dates in. Not all property owners were guilty of a laundry list of fees and variable rates but many were.

I read elsewhere that VRBO was sold to Expedia and has changed their business model. Significantly, VRBO (includes Homeaway) etc has to compete with Airbnb which charges property owners less and passes costs to the consumer/renter.

VRBO needs to go back to its roots.

sylvien1
3/14/17

1. VRBO fees are just horrendous- I've listed my house on VRBO and AIRBnB and it's 10% vs. 3% so for the same time period my house was rented VRBO charged my 300$ vs AirBnb's 95$.
Same for the Travelers/guests- AIRBnb charges 3 x less!

2. VRBO's calculations that I get as the owner are so convoluted and confusing and nothing adds up, that I am sure it is done on purpose to confuse owners, as you would have to call VRBO every time to have it explained to you.
I'm sure they want the fees to appear very 'professional' with many fancy words that actually mean nothing, it's a way to justify outrageous charges!

3. LACK OF SECURITY FOR OWNERS- the number FAKE requests and scam requests I get from the VRBO website (mainly from UK) is around 60-70% of all requests!!
VRBO can implement a very simple procedure to verify the guests but they will not- I actually asked them about it as you have to waste time investigating the guests yourself all the time, and VRBO replied " We just want your business(money), we are not here to protect you, you have to do that yourself' !
I actually have this in writing when they emailed me back!!
(AirBnb has a very simple method- phone # verification by the system, and a VISIBLE to owner guest's profile with a picture and any previous reviews, and a short bio. Works like a charm)

***I HAVE NEVER gotten even 1 fake request from AirBnb, but about 25 from VRBO in this past year! ****

I have a couple of guests booked from VRBO for this year (80 % of guests are coming from AirBnb anyway) so after that i will be cancelling my account with them. I hope their abhorrent business practices will be their demise.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND AIRBNB, actually customer friendly, inexpensive, great service, great website, just a fantastic experience!

Sylvie,
Canada

Tip for consumers: If you want a great experience as a Host or Traveler/Guest- use AirBnb! Fantastic, friendly and inexpensive. I can see why they took over the market so fast.
VRBO is just a greedy, hungry business.

breannah4
3/10/17

I can't even put everything that happened into a nutshell review. The thing that made me most angry was that they kept my $300 for nearly a month after the owner released the refund. Also, terrible customer service... spoke to a man named Joey, unsure if that's really his name as he had a thick accent I could barely understand, and he gave me a disconnected phone number to reach out to for looking into my refund. I'm going to stick with airbnb from here on out since they have great policies and customer service.

ronb103
3/6/17

Had repeat clients say they cannot find me on VRBO, it seems I have been sent to the bottom of the list because I wouldn't use "BOOK IT NOW". Not only that, I'm not posted on the map. No customer service.

59 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the VRBO staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question