US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

katrinm3
2/23/17

I am an owner of a total of 9 vacation rentals and have nothing good to say about VRBO. We used to get all our guests through the site but now that they got bought by Expedia their customer service is awful and all they want is your money. They charge us more than $500USD per listing per year PLUS charge the guests a service fee PLUS charge the owners for the credit card processing. Seriously this is just rude. They even monitor all messages sent between guests and owners. That's just too much. Tip: Look up your vacation rental property on VRBO and then try to contact the owners directly. You safe the service fee and receive way better customer service!!!

denisep51
2/23/17

Just booked a rental in Hilton Head as I do every year. Noticed an additional $399 charge on my credit card for bcoking through VRBO. Called the number on my statement to inquire about this charge. Nobody spoke English and the call was disconnected twice. DO NOT use VRBO. This is a scam. Use a reputable rental agency- preferably a local company.

scottw124
2/23/17

... but their imposition of significant additional fees has priced rental owners out of the market. I am not a rental owner, but a renter ... but their business model has screwed both of us.

bryannec
2/22/17

no accountability from property owners, awful customer service representatives who just try and point the finger back at the traveler. I am out $1000 and will NEVER book with them again. AWFUL

jims240
2/21/17

We found a nice property thru VRBO website & booked a reservation that listed an itemized list of the charges.
When we received our credit card bill, there was a mysterious additional charge of $100 that was never presented during the booking process. When I called to question the charge, they told me the charge was for booking thru their website. Never received any notice about it or detail of the charge until i complained. They were rude in addressing my concern & acted like it was too bad for me because i should have known. Watch out for hidden fees - i will never book thru VRBO again!

pixeed
2/20/17

VRBO/HomeAway/Airbnb web site runs rampant with fraud and scams. The VRBO/HomeAway/Airbnb web site is nothing more than a marketplace for scammers. Property owners pay yearly fees to list properties. That is this web site's bread & butter. There is zero incentive for them to protect and assist renters....and they don't. I've been scammed out of $4000 and VRBO's response was contact your credit card company for a charge back reimbursement. They take no responsibility for fraudulent owners and property managers on their site where they claim to "verify" property owners. In 5 minutes of my own detective work I was able to verify actual property owners on the two rentals I was dealing with through the San Francisco Tax Assessor's Office!!! What does this tell you? VRBO doesn't take even 5 minutes to verify property owners which leaves renters wide open to scams. I've been going round and round with their Theft & Security Division which should tell you another thing.....if they have a Theft & Security Division they know there are tons of scammers on their web site. In any case, the Theft & Security Division have been unhelpful through this process. I am in the process of contacting attorneys and anyone interested in sharing your experiences is free to contact me at Calgirl1954@outlook.com
Prospective renters: Do yourself a big favor and go through a reputable realtor for your vacation rentals in whatever area you choose to vacation.

kellies20
2/18/17

VRBO is charging home owners and travelers service fees now and the customer service is constantly getting worse. The representatives have recently given me incorrect information several times and and the wait time for any help at all has gotten absolutely ridiculous. I will be pulling my property out from their management very soon! Poor customer service reps + no training will = $0 For VRBO

daveg77
2/14/17

VRBO new "best match '" has tanked my rentals . St Pete beach shows over 6000 rentals available/ in reality that equals all rentals as far away from st Pete beach as 50 miles and an hour plus drive / confusing to guest and costing the home owner dollars / if it was a zip code search engine driven like befor it would be more realistic. No one wants to thumb thru thousands of rentals to find themselves booked an hour away from there original destination. Is there a better rental option ???? Trip advisor is up to 18 percent commission . VRBO used to be the best .

trishm25
1/30/17

They will now charge $599.00 to homeowners who advertise their property with VRBO. If you do not allow them to manage the money your potential renters pay. They want to control all bookings so they can charge an additional fee to the your renters. I believe its an additional 10%. Beware all renters. Google potential home to find out who owner is and contact them directly. You will pay through the nose using VRBO.

juiam
1/30/17

have been VRBO and VacationRentals client with up to 6 listings a piece for 12 years. Initially the service was good: basically an introductions service between potential guests and me. I could speak to the clients before renting to make sure that the property was compatible with their needs and answer any questions they had about policies and money. Now that homeaway has eliminated all competition by buying up all the online vacation rental website except Airbnb and become a monopoly it is just awful. They charge my clients additional fees, do not show my listing in search results even though i pay a fee for just that service, print scary warnings over my listing because i refuse to use their insta-book system which is costly both for me and my client and dies not allow a vetting of my renter. Their rate system is not flexible to my needs and often they have shown a rate that is incorrect online to potential clients. Teh customer service is abysmal. The price goes up up up and the business model is totally different than what it started out to be. Why wont somebody start a reasonable priced website like the way vrbo originally was! I'd sign up in a second. i recommend we all cancel subscriptions and explain why.

annam194
1/24/17

VRBO is a business and they do want money. I have two listings and I have been treated fairly.
Anna23@natureday.com

lynne356
1/22/17

Never rented my house on Longboat Key FL. The company was not helpful at all when I called them! I went out of my way to include excellent photos and good description of all of the amenities. My advice would be to go through a local agency that you know and trust.

joano18
1/21/17

Posted rental average rates are fantasy. The average final price without the security deposit is typically two to three times more than stated. 3 bedroom rentals charge $200 more for 6 adults. Why does this happen? Why is there a service fee? I have been using vrbo and homeaway for 10 years. Doubtful i will ever use them again.

stephanief60
1/16/17

VRBO/Home Away has deteriorated since Expedia bought them! They also held onto money from a property that I was declined. After an hour and a half on the telephone they gave me a "confirmation number" to cancel the payment. When I called the bank they said the company would have to contact them or fax the cancellation. I didn't get the money returned until I filed a formal complaint.

lm102
1/12/17

Deceitful, lying, unhelpful, total jerks. Can't say enough bad things about this website. Please stay away.

romanj4
1/12/17

I rented a home through VRBO in NYC in early December for 8 people. The home was fine. Upon making the reservation, I was asked for the rental fee along with a refundable $1000 damage deposit. The deposit would be refunded ~14 days after checkout as long as the owner agreed that no damage was incurred. About 4 weeks after we checked out, I called the owner to see if the refund was on it's way. He told me that there were no issues and he believed he released VRBO to process the deposit. I called VRBO/Homeaway and, by the way, getting through to VRBO is almost impossible. I spoke with 13 different people over the course of 4 days. They kept telling me it's an issue with the owner. I called the owner back several times who assured me the problem is not at his end but with VRBO. This ping pong match is still going on and I don't have my $1000. VRBO has written me an email (instead of a requested call from a live person) which basically says I'm on my own. They told me they are not responsible for the damage deposit and to check the fine print on their website.
I have rented from VRBO several times over the years and have never had an issue until now. I called one of the property managers I had rented from before and was told that VRBO was acquired by Expedia a while back and since then, the company has had a multitude of issues with property owners and renters alike. I will never rent from VRBO again. They are just walking away from my problem. Their concept of customer service is very different than mine. They get their money and they are done with you.
Anyone who reads this, please take note that your security deposit may be something you'll never see again.
If indeed, this is a bigger issue with the Expedia people and their management approach being implemented at VRBO, than shame on you too. I won't be doing anything on your website either.
Good luck to any one who does business with these companies.

pppf
1/10/17

Hello Everyone,
Come and join the webinar on Jan 21'2017 on how to become independent of listing websites. Click on the below link to register for the webinar:

janeh75
1/7/17

Review received! Just one more thing to do

We have received your review for Property #133223 Once you confirm it, we can work on getting it live! Read the review below; if everything's correct, just click the button to confirm.

The owner has to accept the review before they will publish it, so needless to say that will never happen:

This is how they advertise the property. Beautiful Lake Tuscaloosa Luxury Waterfront Home
What they should say, if they want to be truthful is "Gross, filthy, rundown home, no pride of ownership, old home on lake with a ridiculous price to pay." Besides, false misleading advertising, she is a thief!

VRBO: Gross filthy property, please read my review. Don't let her ruin your precious vacation time.
Worst property ever!

The fridge was filthy, full of food, opened bottles, out dated milk, just gross. The filthy oven was beyond use, the kitchen and laundry room floor didn't look like it had ever had a good cleaning. The main bath wouldn't drain, the toilet was stopped up and the floor was so dirty your shoes stuck to it. WE had to clean everything before we could stay there, and unclog the drain, the toilet in the main bath. The kitchen cabinets had dried food and stains . You can't even imagine, I felt like there were bugs and things were crawling all over me. I will admit I am a very clean meticulous person and when I spend my money and time, I am very perturbed that someone would treat us so badly.On Saturday night there was a "huge" black roach on the kitchen ceiling. We tried to get it down to kill it, but it ran beneath the dishwasher. I found some bug killer and sprayed it all around the dishwasher trying to get it out & kill it. We later killed another roach above the door to the back bedroom.
The owner notified me that she was going to keep out $500.00 refundable deposit because there was a smell of cat urine/or strong chemical smell and that one of her portable Blue Tooth speakers was missing. We each flew 2000 miles each way to go there, we certainly did not take a cat with us, especially as I am deadly allergic to cats. I will admit I know exactly what the chemical smell is from, it was my cleaning the house with the chemicals she had beneath the kitchen sink and the roach killer I found and used for the roaches. We found out after we got home that her house was listed for sale and there were probably a couple hundred realtors that had the combination of the lockbox, so wonder why she would accuse us of taking the speaker when there were many people coming in and out of the house that could have taken the speaker. Anyway the portable speakers can be bought for $25.00 most anywhere and of course we didn't see it, nor take it. There was no inventory list as far as we know there were no speakers.
If you think VRBO (HomeAway) is going to help you, you have another think coming. They are no help at all, you are on your own. They told me to go direct to the owner and settle it with her.
We are going to continue enjoying our trips as we usually do in beautiful five star hotels and resorts, we will not have someone like this ruin our vacation time again.
I wish you all the best of luck if you should decide to venture out with VRBO and HomeAway, I'm sure they do have some very nice places but we thought this one was nice, the pictures were beautiful. We just won't take that chance again.

Date of arrival
November 11, 2016

Tip for consumers: BE CAREFUL ! !

danan9
1/2/17

DO NOT RENT FROM SANDY VACATIONS! Hali'i Kai 10H in Waikoloa Hawaii!

Check these photos out
$5900 for 10 days in a total filthy dirty unit! No AC, 8 burnt out light bulbs, bugs, we have tons of bites! Dirty old sheets, pillows & bedding. Dirty pots & pans in the cupboard, mold in the dishwasher & shower heads... Garbage in the vase on the front porch... no handle on the microwave oven, missing screens,broken windows & blinds, broken fan...
It was horrible! The filthy kitchen mat was so old the backing had disintegrated and was like a pile of sand on the floor... hence the "joke cleaning company" never cleaned under it, or much else by the looks of the place. Per the cleaning co-We don't usually turn on all the lights when we clean, we don't check the dishes every time we clean... no wonder it's a dump! The maintenance man was " off the island " for the holiday I was told... by the condition of this place there is
"No"maintenance man!
The grand finale today was the power company shut the power off as we were leaving! Apparently the bill hadn't been paid since 9/30/16.

Sandy wanted her $5900
2 months prior to our arrival not sure where that money goes, because it sure as hell isn't used to keep this place up.

FYI
Her penthouse in The Fairway villas had similar issues in 2/2016 .

catheyc
12/31/16

I would like to file a complaint about an owner lying after I left a negative review. His response to my negative complaint was nothing but lies. I took pics of the condo and how it was left.

ss231
12/28/16

I booked a property and paid the entire amount in full up front. (DO NOT DO THIS, YOU WILL REGRET IT!) The property owner never 'confirmed' the reservation yet VRBO took the entire amount (over $1100) out of my bank account and now I'm trying to get my money refunded. You will spend LOTS of time chasing YOUR money to get it back. If you can find the customer service number on their website (877-202-4291) you will speak to someone who thinks this is no big deal and will forward you on to their financial folks (866-210-6106). From there you will be given cancellation authorization codes and be told to call your bank only to find out the cancellation transaction has not processed from VRBO and you will need to wait another day to see if it processes over night. I will NEVER book a reservation again...this is ONE BIG HASSLE. I'll return to let you know exactly how many days my $1100+ is tied up in limbo.

coryr12
12/17/16

Booked an apartment for 10 days for Dec 27-Jan 6 2017. In the beggining of Nov the owner took the deposit of $200US and then a few days later took the first payment $633US and then a final payment of $540US. We then received an email from vrbo around Dec 1 stating they suspended be account of the home owner we were renting, and to cease all communication with them. We explained that we had already payed the full fee. They were no assistance and told us that they would reach out to the owner to return the money. The home owner could not access there account to return the money. Here we are for two weeks dealing with Vrbo with no conclusion until visa gets involved and sends an ultimatum to vrbo. They then make action to return money and we get refunded out amount on Dec 14 minus $150US currency exchange fees, plus no where to live. I will never use vrbo agaim as they were no assistance and ended up costing us money and bo place to live. Vrbo is terrible!!

lindaw217
12/16/16

Great if you don't have issues with the home owner. I paid over $1500 deposit for a 7 week stay and when I went to pay the remaining $1600 plus, I was told the payment would not go through due to a problem on the end of the homeowner! After multiple attempts to resolve this, and hours on the phone with VBRO, & calling the homeowner they tell me they will look into it. They made two attempts to email the homeowner and the homeowner says he contacts them and they say my credit card is declined. I called my bank and they said there is no way the credit card was declined. They tell me they will turn it over to their IT department and can't tell me when the problem will be resolved and if not resolved by tomorrow I am out over $1,580.00 and the homeowner has the right to keep the money and rent the space! I called the homeowner and he has not called me back. VBRO had no problem taking my extra $200 to be assured I would not be scammed and now they tell me that I can't get my $1580 deposit back unless the homeowner releases it? WHAT???? DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH VBRO or HOME AWAY!!! I have used them MANY times and no problems. BUT when you do encounter a problems you get NO support! BEWARE!!!

johnd677
12/12/16

Worst company to do business with. After booking, their property owners cancel reservations and you have to pay fee even though you did not cancel or did nothing wrong. They refuse to help. Their system will also not let you talk to anyone but the customer service rep on the phone. Terrible. Will never book anything with them again.

soniab26
12/10/16

Leased a property through VRBO and what a mistake. 2 weeks have passed and still no outcome, no return calls of emails. We constantly call and get given excuses after excuses. Money transferred including bond as requested 2 weeks ago and no one at VRBO can help or even advise if the accommodation that we paid for is available. Once money was transferred no one cares. VRBO IS A SCAM. Never to use again.

56 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the VRBO staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question