Review of VRBO

Austin, Texas 78703, USA
Tel: 1261440000

curtisb50
12/10/17

They (vrbo) could have a successful money making business...but they are going to face the music with lawsuits....What they are doing, especially changing contract details midstream is wrong.

johnb1012
12/4/17

As a beach condo owner in Florida, I had a relationship with VRBO for over 8 years. They recently made changes to benefit themselves - increasing costs for renters, and complexity for owners. VRBO actually de-listed my property one month after I renewed because they said I was not responding to all requests. We have a building mandated 2 week stay - and I don't respond to weekend ONLY requests. They didn't notify me I was being de-listed, and would not extend my listing or refund fees. Ridiculously rude to me when I was trying to resolve. Good bye VRBO!!

neilp36
11/30/17

Horrible, horrible, horrible company to deal with. They literally refunded my deposit to someone else and would not dispute the refund with the credit card company and apply the refund to me. I spent over an hour on the phone with them and was very professional. They hung up on me once and later calls resulted in a permanent hold while they transferred me to the "payment department". I planned on booking through VRBO every year for my company retreat. Not anymore their loss.

andrews322
11/30/17

I attempted to book 2 different rentals and both came back showing dates unavailable despite the website showing them available. In both instances I had requested cancellation insurance. Despite the my rental requests being denied to unavailability, I was charged by CSA (VRBO/homeaway) insurance provider. I had to call CSA to have them issue me credit. Its not about the tiny amount of money here, its the principal.

I'm based in Canada and the charges and credits were issued in US$. Because of this my credit card charges a foreign currency exchange on both the initial charges and on the credits. I called CSA who said I have to talk with VRBO. VRBO said I need to talk with CSA. My issue is that I should not have been charged to begin with so they should honor the out of pocket differential that I had to incur. When I asked to speak to a VRBO supervisor he told me they can't do anything for me.

In addition to the issue with the charges, I take issue with multiple properties consistently showing up as available on specific dates but come back as booked when you attempt to book.

Would never use this company again. I've used Airbnb and have only had a positive experience with them.

jenniferm433
11/29/17

VRBO has become a greedy, heartless company to deal with! They are forcing us home owners to charge additional booking fees that get paid directly to VRBO, IN ADDITION to the yearly fee that home owners already pay to list on the VRBO website...and the yearly fee has increased and keeps going up! Despicable!

maggiel25
11/28/17

I went to VRBO to search for a specific time frame for a hawaiian vacation. I put in my dates and got about 40 returns saying they had the dates available. However, upon contacting owners/managers, I found that in fact the condos were NOT available during those dates, some not even in the same month. WHAT??? How are people supposed to find a place if the dates are wrong? Very disappointed. This sucks.

dougb77
11/22/17

Since Expedia took over Vrbo it has changed its business model, in their favor only. Fees for guests, higher costs overall. There model over advertises the breath of the area where im Located in Belize driving potential guests to look at other towns. I
And their suggested pricing is up the butt, they have not a clue of our market in Belize.
Unfortunately they have a lock on the rentals. I have tried and co listed on two other sites.. what a pain.
No thanks for the upgrade Expedia.

michaeld347
11/10/17

Once the premier travel site, after being bought by Homeaway.com, both these sites are horrendous to navigate. As opposed to using the IT platform that set VRBO apart, Homeaway elected to keep their pitiful platform. The results are fewer User Friendly features, filters that actually work, and a decrease in speed akin to a rickshaw. IOW, instead of keeping VRBO's two price range boxes that anyone can fill in with their high and low ranges, now both sites have an ignorant price graph. No concern about saving guest time with two inputs, now one must sliiiidddddeeee to each.

paull226
11/5/17

Just Please RUN, as fast as you can! DO NOT use these scammers! They abuse and use customers, play tricks and games to force you to install their app, which requires that you give up your personal information and your contact list of friends and family on your phone, presumably so they can either harass and SPAM everyone you know or sell your information for profit. No reputable company uses customers like this who are already paying for their so called "service". Customer service is a complete joke, you cannot understand any of them due to their very thick hispanic accent, this is not good to be servicing the USA, and they only continue to perpetuate this scam by refuting any complaints or will double talk you to death. It becomes obvious in the way they deal with you that it's a corrupt and slimey people behind this. This should be illegal and at minimum, these people should be taken out back and shot!! I'm ashamed to say they are from my home State of Texas. They need to be run out on a rail! Their exorbitant fees for doing nothing but causing distaste, trouble and grief and are enough to turn you away in itself. Never again! EVER AGAIN!! GO CRAWL BACK IN YOUR HOLE, YOU CROOKS!!

glennc60
11/3/17

They lie about prices, they will not work with you once they have your credit card. These people should be arrested, seriously!!!

royh74
11/3/17

The new owners of VRBO are charging each and every guest a service fee. They raised the cost to list your property. They blocked all means of comunication between owner and guest. Allowing guest to book only thru VRBO and paying their service fee and not being able to get a better deal booking thru owner. They took all the joy out of being able to talk to your prospective guest and giving them a fair price. If I were a guest I would not deal with this company.Unhappily I am an owner having to deal with thisgreedy company.

laurac263
10/28/17

Your business model is very unfair to guest and owners. Your nothing more than a group of legalized thieves.

rodh34
10/22/17

We listed our two condos at the Beach Club in Fort Morgan, AL in 2012. It was a great way for me to market my condos to a broader audience and I saw my rental income increase dramatically. I am what VRBO refers to as a hybrid owner in that I use VRBO to find my guests and then turn them over to my on-site manager to clean, maintain and collect the money from my guests. VRBO started telling me that if I didn't use their on-line booking system I would have to pay more for my annual subscription and my listings would be moved down the list of offerings. I was ok with this since I have a ton of repeat customers and all was well. At this same time, if you were part of their booking system, they started charging my guests a percentage admin fee (not sure what they call it) and Ive heard its between 8 and 10%. This year they told me that they will not allow me to renew without being a part of their system. My contract with my management company does not afford me the opportunity to do this so when my two contracts expire I will not be able to continue to list on VRBO. Ive spoken until Im blue in the face to them going up the chain. I have NEVER experienced such arrogance. This company started as a great way to get the word out about my rental properties and changed their business model in mid-stream. This is the ultimate bait and switch and, just like unscrupulous drug dealers, the have me hooked on their service. They have no investment in my properties but want to share in my revenues for offering a marketing service that I am paying for annually. I wish them well (not really) and expect that their arrogance will be rewarded by another VRBO-type service provider will fill the void left for us hybrids that they are kicking out.

Tip for consumers: If you're an owner find another listing option.

debbieg85
10/11/17

Something is going on with this company maybe they are going out of business? I tried to rent a condo and they locked my account because I forgot the password. Then when I called to get my account unlocked they wouldn't speak to me and said to email them. After three different calls and multiple attempts to email them, they said that there was nothing they could do and I could not speak with the dept that locks the accounts.

samh146
10/9/17

I can't find a place to do this on VRBO.
How do you turn off Book it now or Book online. Last year someone said you can do so in your listing.

triciab24
10/9/17

VRBO is a bad service. Our information was stolen. We were blocked from responding to our prospects. We were forced to make people pay online. BAD SERVICE. No refund was given on my listing. DO NOT LIST YOUR HOME HERE.

dawnc66
10/6/17

I was scammed out of $1700 because VBRO booked me at a condo property at sapphire beach resort that was a complete dump. I left and went elsewhere.

sherylr16
10/6/17

I Have Had my Florida vacation rental condo on VRBO's site for 10 years and the changes that have been recently made have been purely for their benefit only and shows to what measures they will take for just pure GREED on their part. I Have cancelled my account and will NEVER return unless they let me have the contact with the guests that I have had in the past! Customer service is useless!!!

johnl529
10/2/17

This company has no way to contact them or sign up for an account yet wants you to sign in through YOUR Facebook account. Be careful about giving away Facebook information. People get hacked all the time! I'm not saying they are unsafe. Simply watch out for a company that does this.

jeana74
10/1/17

We had our beautiful cottage in AZ with VRBO for years and loved it! We met lovely new guests, the site was simple for guests and owners. THEY HAVE BEEN TURNED INTO A MONSTER. We don't trust them, and have had 1 new booking since the takeover. We can't communicate with our guests, and we have a sneaking suspicion they are sending fake requests to us. TERRIBLE to have a company working for you that you believe is trying to stab you in the back and take your clients. I have a slimy feeling all-over about this shoddy run operation. How sad.

stevej108
9/27/17

Simply said, VRBO, or Homeaway, and Vacation Rentals.com, want those they "use" (my home is worth several hundred thousand dollars) to pay for the subscription. There are certain parameters that penalize those, like me, who do not. Basically, if you do not pay for a subscription, they put you in the bottom of the search results. I use to get half my business from Homeaway/VRBO until they changed a while ago to a harsh unequal format, that makes Property Management companies their most important customer, meanwhile leaving me, a owner operated rental, scraping for attention on their site, only due to the algorithms they have set up to reward those who pay for the Subscription, and punish those who do not.

No matter to me, but I do think it is a stupid way of marketing a product. I would call it PAY TO PLAY.

Shame on you. Equal is equal, whether I am an owner operated using your site, or I pay for the subscription. This is sadly not the case currently with VRBO or Homeaway. I use to get a lot of hits off their site, until they changed their algorithms, to make my property not at the top of the list.

I review at 4.9% on VRBO/Homeaway & Airbnb. Airbnb is the best at this point for an owner...by FAR.

I hope Homeaway makes changes to allow "owner operated" be more competitive.

andrewb235
9/26/17

They took $3700 from my VISA. Sent me a confirmation email with no information about the rental. Called a dozen times got passed everywhere. No one could give me the address and a reservation payment receipt to show the front desk, no physical address to even KNOW WHERE TO GO when my wife and two young daughters land in a foreign country! No phone number nothing. When I called the last time 12 hours before leaving to the airport, I got a phone number. I had to write it on a napkin. They said they could not send an email! I have never seen anything like this! WORST WORST WORST! So disorganized.

paulc320
9/26/17

Changed my dates lost my vacation!!!!!
How can a company do this after booking flights and then tell us 2 weeks before we leave our booking is being cancelled.

jamesc266
9/26/17

We found a listing that we were very interested in, but we wasted a lot of time with no response from the owner or anybody else.

borism30
9/25/17

I had a frightening experience with VRBO. Here are the facts : I booked a property for the price advertised on their website. Then the owner contacted me and asked for more money. I called VRBO and protested : legally, once there is an offer and that offer is accepted, there is a contract. VRBO said they cannot do anything. They simply offer a platform...and charge a salty fee!

There are many problems with listing with VRBO/HomeAway. The 1st is that it is the largest company of it's size. While that may mean that you get more exposure, you also have more competition for getting your listing seen. For example, your listing could be # 300 out of 2,000. Most people don't want to search that far to find what they want because they can usually find something else sooner. In order to get a higher listing, you must pay more. I pay the highest rates they have for my properties in TN # 191351, 189535, & 289723, i.e. over $1,500 each. Listing position is also based on a number of criteria which they mandate. We have no control over some of those criteria. For example, listing position is based on whether or not guests USE VRBO/HomeAway on line booking. Initially, .VRBO/HomeAway required that we OFFER on line booking in order to maximize our listing position, so I offered it. VRBO/HomeAway then changed their criteria & now guests must USE on line booking in order or my listing position drops. I have no control over whether or not they USE VRBO/HomeAway & I don't recommend it for several reasons (more on that if you're interested). Listing positions are also determined by the number & quality of reviews. Again, I have no control over whether or not someone writes a review nor how they rate a property. What may be a 5 Star for someone may only be a 3 Star for someone else, but I'm at their mercy to provide a review & to rate it well. There are many other factors that go into listing position. As I said, I try to maximize what I can & If I'm luck, my property will be listed around 50/200. I get much better response from FlipKey by TripAdvisor. As I mentioned, I pay VRBO/HomeAway over $1,500 for each property. I Pay FlipKey by TripAdvisor about $450/property for #'s 6588094, 2386143, & 3746421 & get much better results. The problem with FlipKey is that it's hard for someone to search for a specific property using the property #.

By Andy C.

Vrbo will NOT get involved in any way. They will not arbitrate on anyone's behalf. They are strictly an advertising website. Carefree travel insurance & all the other stuff is just to make renters feel more comfortable to rent. They hardly ever pay out if there is a real problem. You can sue in small claims court, in the city & state you rented in. The only defense you have is if you paid with a credit card to do a charge back, & even then its hard. You have to have documentation to prove you case. However, vrbo won't contest the chargeback if you can get your credit cad company to work with you. Best to leave a review that warns other renters to stay away. But vrbo approves the reviews before they are posted.

By kirsten l.

A: NEVER, EVER DEAL WITH ANY OWNERS OR PROPERTY MANAGERS THAT YOU HAVENT SPOKEN TO DIRECTLY. NEVER use any form of payment other than credit card. All CC's would refund you the money if you don't get the services. If they don't accept cards or allow payment through Homeaway, FIND ANOTHER PROPERTY OWNER WHO WILL or be prepared to take the chance. READ all reviews, if they don't have any you ARE taking a chance it's a scam or a dump (or a new property but be careful. NEVER make a large deposit EVER! VRBO has turned out to be reliable for us, never used Flipkey and AirBnB wouldn't use it - I want a large property not a room room share

By Mary H.

VRBO will not help anymore with anything. Homeaway bought them and there is no personal contact with owners anymore until they pay through the site. I don't know about negative reviews. Never see any. If there was a way to avoid VRBO and Someway I would do it; but they have the corner on the VACA rental market now.

By CAROL F.

The owners, vrbo is just a listing site. Its the honor system. They have carefree insurance, but you can only stay two hours to get a "supposed refund". But you have to find other accommodations at your expense. Protect yourself by paying with a credit card. Amex is the best for customer support. Vrbo will not get involved or intervene on either parties behalf. A charge back with lots of documentation & photos is what you will need. You must do this asap as credit cards have a time limit on charge backs. I had to fight, but got more than half my money back, payed in two installments, the first payment was to old to recoup my losses. We suffered from a bait & switch.

By kirsten l.

Try airbnb to rent part of your home

By XTINE F.

Go with the standard listing if you have already paid. If not save your money and try homeescape.com. Homeaway/VRBO rolled out a new 9% service fee charged to your customers in addition to what you're already paying for. They did this without any warning to their customers. I found out after one of my repeat guests questioned the charge. I'm moving away from them and going with other options.

By Vicki R.

I don't think that you can, but I as property owners, we have little control over what is accessible, so that is a question that you should probably ask Home Away/VRBO. However, it isn't real easy to find a way of contacting them.

By Andy C.

I have had our condo on VRBO for years and most of renters pay with personal check. But I am also very quick to call and talk to renters in person and let them know they can pay via credit card or even PayPal. Obviously we prefer check because of the crazy PayPal fees, but we will do it if the renter feels more comfortable. As others have stated, everyone has to get their first rental. If you are concerned I would call and talk to the owner in person.

By Paul L.
Questions? Get answers from the VRBO staff and other customers.

14 Photos for VRBO