Review of Thumbtack

Tel: (800) 948-2034
info@thumbtack.com

danf70
8/21/17

On Thumbtack I had next day responses, three estimates, and an agreement to work on my project. Greg Samel was fantastic as a drywall man--he tackled the difficult tasks I asked of him in finishing odd angles, mating dry wall with lath & plaster, and he did extra things, too. Very reasonable.

davids822
8/18/17

Not good. They lie and don't return calls. Put me on hold for a hour. They contractors are scam artist

travisc33
8/18/17

I am contractor and I used thumbtack for extra work for the last 2 years. I had a good experience at first but then I my account was frozen for a month because they needed to run a background check. I couldn't bid or get into my account to retrieve my customers information.. I called customer service numerous times to find out why they froze my account only to never get an answer and to be hung up on several times with no call back. After they finally reactivated my account , they then deacctivated it again 6 months later to do the same thing. I have tried to get a manager on the phone several times but I all I get when I ask is chuckles like their is something funny about asking for a manager. Im starting to think thumbtack is run by a couple kids out of their basement. Contractors, don't put to many eggs in the thumbtack basket cause they don't care about you or your business. Which is odd because they are always asking me to refer contractors for free bids?

anal105
8/17/17

This group of people were sending me fake quotes so I would send a response to the customers and they would charge me for sending these responses. They have done it multiple times. Thank God my husband warned me, and I unsubscribed. Beware, they are pure greedy thieves, and they constantly raise their fees and change their web settings so they could make more cash at the customers losses, they do not even inform the clients ahead of time on the price changes. They are not trusty. Their web must be shut down.
In my eyes they deserve to go to jail.

jeffreyw59
8/17/17

we wanted to expand our deck out to our above ground pool . Weathertite Roofing and Remodeling did a timely and excellent job for us at a reasonable price.

nancym195
8/17/17

I was told that Timothy, the owner, would come on a Wednesday @ 1:00 and waited all day. I finally called Timothy, to see what was going on, at about 5:00 and he said that he had forgotten me and was already in San Antonio when I live in Austin. He promised to put me first on his schedule for Friday and move his other people back. He said he could be there as early as 5:30 am. At 9:30 am I called him to see where he was. He told me he had a flat when he was really just cleaning all of the other homes first. He didn't come to my house until the late afternoon. I was in a crunch with a party the following day (Saturday) and I couldn't do certain things to get ready until certain windows were done. I reminded him the day before that I didn't want him to squirt my windows from below, I needed him to have a ladder and hand wash my windows. He said, "yes ma'am, I understand." When he showed up he did just the opposite of what I wanted. In the 27 years that I have been having my windows washed, I have never had the cleaners want to come inside to remove my screens. The way his young nephew removed them caused them to be bent and one of them looks like it was cut into with a screwdriver. My screens weren't the best but that still doesn't give a professional business the right to damage them! Using that method of cleaning my windows left some of them with a 1" margin of dirt around the outside so I asked him to redo the one I saw. I wish I had gone around and inspected each and every window when he was finished because then I would have seen the 1" margin left on other windows after he was gone, but I was busy decorating. A day after he left, one of the upper screens fell off. My husband and I have owned service businesses in the past and if we had made mistakes like Timothy had, we would have done the job for a very reduced price or even free, but when he had kept me waiting for two whole days, he never once offered to reduce the price. In fact, he told me that he could power wash my porch for $50 and I told him that was too much so to forget it. He said...I can do it for free if you write me a good review." I told him that I would write him a good review if he did a good job. I told him to go ahead and do the porch then because I was feeling that I should have had something free for the poor handling of my job so far. He didn't power wash it after all because he said he didn't have his machine that produced the hard pressure but he did spray it down and remove some of the bugs that were there. When I looked at it I could tell it wasn't done well but since I thought it was free I wasn't going to complain about that part. When the job was finally finished, I quickly wrote the check and was happy that once they left I could finally decorate the porch for the baby shower I was throwing the next day and I just wrote out the check for what the written charge was without thinking clearly that we contracted for $225 but he charged me $250. A few days later I let him know that he over-charged me and that I would expect him to refund me the $25. All sorts of stories came back like I don't do checks, I will have to give you cash, I had to fire 8 people, I won't be in Austin for over a month, etc. There is always a sad story to listen to or read with Timothy and I've determined that it is unwise to believe anything he says. I don't think he even remembers the things he tells you and just says one thing to get himself out of a situation and then makes it up as he goes, never remembering the story he told earlier. He caught himself in a lie and slipped up in something he had told me and tried to go back and fix it, but he had just solidified what I already knew with his slip-up. So, with ample time and opportunity, Timothy still has not refunded my money. I went with Timothy because he under-bid another company by $25 but the joke was on me because I ended up paying that extra $25 anyway and suffered the damaged screens, less than perfect cleaning, and lots of grief besides! When I have my windows professionally done, I have them only wash my outside windows since I clean the inside myself, and I have always been happy with the people I have chosen but most haven't stayed in business that long so I was looking for someone new to be the company I would always choose. You can be sure that Reflections will not be that company.

job219
8/15/17

Thumbtack attempted to withdraw $600 and then $200 from my account without my knowledge.
Stay away from them and watch for charges to your account

ds223
8/14/17

How can you Blind Bid a Major Contracting Project. Signed up, Paid the Money to help grow the Business. Received Leads. Minimal information (Most was Bad or Incorrect) Submitted Blind Bids. Person would open the Bid to review. You were charged MONEY without a contact or conversation with the potential customer. Thumbtack is SELLING LEADS. This is a LEAD SELLING COMPANY. You WILL SPEND MONEY. Thumbtack will also SELL your Contact Information. My phone and emails have been non stop with Telemarketers. SAVE YOUR MONEY. Thumbtack, Home Advisor or Angie's List NOT WORTH THE TIME OR MONEY>

path112
8/11/17

We needed stairs added to our deck. We interviewed many companies. Finally, we met with Bill, Owner of Web Construction, North Wales, PA. We cannot say enough about him. If you want a reliable, reasonable, trustworthy company to get your project completed the right way, the first time. Stop looking, Bill is your guy!!! He went over the top for us. Our deck stairs, his suggestions and workmanship are top notch.

smrs
8/10/17

I tried to see if this would work to get some work on the side. Quoting jobs I tested the waters first quotes normal rates. Mind you Iam THEE cheapest garage door company around. $60 service call?! Unheard of everyone else is 80, 100, 120 and so on.i tested the scam water on a repair I quoted 50 bucks! And they passed after receiving the quote .. lmao deff inside thumbtack workers posting fake leads

robing66
8/9/17

I needed my garage cleaned and organized. I used Karen Poulsen, who was wonderful. She works quickly, organizes, and made my garage look like a room in my house! I would recommend her to anyone--she has a great personality, she's undaunted by messiness, and works quickly. I would definitely use her again, and the price was very reasonable..

carlaf20
8/9/17

At first this business paradigm sounds like a good idea, but you will tricked by their payment process. The process is just plain weird. They state that to bid on a quote costs $1.67, then that quote turns into a $58.00. When contacting them, their explanation makes no sense. They say that some answered quotes cost more than others? Why would that be? No logical explanation except it costs more credits to answer some quotes than others? Why? I never found out.

pauld246
8/8/17

I used Thumbtack successfully for over 2 years. In 2017 they switched to a new quoting method. After seeing a major slowdown in my business I tested Thumbtacks new method. If failed to send my information to potential customers even though I specifically signed up for that service. I asked for a refund and they provided a partial refund. Beware of Thumbtack. You may want to look for another service

carolinah
8/7/17

I have my own company and do excellent work at what I consider a very fair price. Most of the people coming on the site seem to want the 'craigs list' type of contractor - someone who will make about the minimum wage on a job. You GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! You have people who want 3 - 4 examples of logos and only want to pay about $150. Are you kidding?

berdiew
8/7/17

Signed up to get going in new area after a move - very reputable professional with 22 years experience in my area......NOTHING but clogged phone texts.....NOT ONE customer after 7+ months --- this is a TOTAL rip off service. Facebook is much better

jeanniew9
8/7/17

I am a wedding officiant. They say you should pay 150.00. That would pay for a person who is in their basement that decided to try to do this. You are asking for trouble!! pay the right amount to get a PROFESSIONAL. GET PROFESSIONALS go to WEDDING WIRE do not hire off of THUMBTACK THEY ARE NOT REALISTIC ON PRICES IT IS A LOT OF WORK AND THEY DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT

cesarr17
8/5/17

Working through Thumbtack is really a race to the bottom in terms of quality of work and pay rate. You have to buy credits on their site. These credits are then used to bid on jobs as they come in. A total of 5 contractors get to bid on each job using their platform of email templates and / or your online profile. You pay around $1.50 per credit. If you learn to navigate the system, you can drop that to around $1.40 per credit. I work as a photographer, I have a really strong portfolio and competitive prices, and I've spent a lot of money for a small number of jobs. To simply bid on a photo job, it costs me a minimum of 4 credits. ($6) Several of the job bids are bogus, from looky-loos, or other photographers testing out the portal. (If a job positing is so clearly fake, you can request a refund, and you will get it after a few days, but that takes a lot more work and its not clear how many fake postings pass as looking real.) Often I have to bid on 4 to 6 jobs before I get hired. ($24 to $36 bucks!!) I really cant imagine how photographers that dont have a strong portfolio and who charge more money every get hired. To bid on the more lucrative jobs, the cost is 8 credits ($12). Ive never been hired for any of the more lucrative assignments. Its a lot of work, the cost to use the portal is very expensive, and you have to put in a lot of hours to get the job, and then to complete the job assignment. Not worth the effort. Especially considering that the bids are often few and far between.

Old fashion networking and business cards / postcards work much better for me than this tech option.

Major complaint is Thumbtack does not stand by or protect its contractors.
So I obtained jobs by using the Thumbtack portal for over 1 year. My clients loved my work, and my ratings were so high that Thumbtack issued me the status of "Top Pro," something they only award to the top 3% of the contractors using their portal. Then, I was hired on a job where I completed a beautiful set of photographs, delivered bonus images with complete editing, over 50 photographs in total. Several weeks later, the client contacted me asking for more editing, around 10 hours worth of editing. I let the client know that the added editing was not included in the original bid and offered to complete the editing at a reasonable rate. The client then used extortion style tactics to pressure me into completing several hours worth of unpaid work, otherwise Id get a bad review. Needless to say, this developed into a civil dispute.

Rather than allowing us to go to neutral mediation / arbitration process as stipulated under their terms of use, Thumbtack concluded that I owed the clients a refund. When I refused on grounds that I honored the original agreement and had spent over 8 hours total on the assignment, they withdrew money from my bank account using my check-card they had on file for buying credits, without my authorization, essentially breaking the law. The customer service rep at Thumbtack that was overlooking the dispute sounded like a 12 year old. I know there are a lot of brilliant young women in the world, but the one handling this dispute happens to be a complete morons. They kept trying to send a link for us to communicate our dispute that would never arrive, when I made a phone appointment to speak with Kerri, it was some sort of cheap internet phone line that didnt work properly, had a lot of static and kept cutting off.

In short, this is a highly unprofessional company that all true professionals should probably stay clear from. Dispute is still pending.

robertp290
8/4/17

I consider myself to be a very handy man. I've renovated several kitchens, bathrooms, etc. Paving is a different story. I don't have the tools or experience to do so. There are a lot of companies out there and it's difficult to find the right one. This being said, after getting several quotes from different companies, I stumbled onto HomeAdvisor and they recommended two companies. The first and last company we contacted was "All American Paving". Mike Spinale was very responsive to our requests and gave an indepth and very competitive estimate for the job. We found a few estimates for less, but decided to go with All American because of their honesty and promptness. After a few more emails/texts and less than a week after getting the estimate, the owner, John Cokorogianis, was pulling up to the front of our house to do the job we requested. Him and his crew were very cordial, efficient and finished the job in a very timely fashion. After the job was completed, John gave me his honest opinion and was skeptical about the current drainage situation we had currently had and offered to help me remedy it at no extra cost. They gave me a quote and stuck by it. Nowadays,customer service like this is obselete. To make a long review longer, I would recommend this company to family and friends and couldn't be happier knowing we hired the smaller, yet honest and passionate company, instead of the bigger companies who look at customers as numbers and not people. If you need some paving work done, give them your business. You won't regret it. We didn't.

jeanenes1
8/4/17

I used Thumbtack to find a couple bartenders for my wedding. Renee from Strange Events contacted me and before I knew it I had two. The price fit my budget and I was very happy with the service and job well done. If you need a planner go to Strange events and get the service you desire without any problems

williamc255
8/2/17

All other lead sites give you the customer information and connects you when you you pay for the information. This service just allows the contractor to send a message to the customer and if the customer views it they charge for it. The contractor never gets a single chance unless the customer emails them or calls them and you know how that works. So it is a complete waste of time and money.

bobw126
8/2/17

Found a person to install a new entry door and storm door In West Palm Beach, FL using Thumbtack. Trim Tech LLC (Anthony Petrole) did an excellent job, would use Thumbtack again and recommend Trim Tech LLC for doors & cabinet projects.

jenniferx9
8/1/17

I used this website to try to find an available dog Groomer near me. Well Thumbtack couldn't find a Groomer for me, but they could sell my personal information to all kinds of unrelated and unscrupulous companies!
Within an hour of putting my info. on their site, I got a huge uptick in Spam emails, I know it was from Thumbtack, I purposely spelled my name a little bit differently. The emails are in the subject "Blah blah fake crap email to you First Name, Last Name".
Yep, it absolutely came from this garbage website! And the emails of course have nothing to do with dogs or grooming. Then I started to get phone calls too! All from this site selling personal info. Stay far away from this company! They may or may not suggest useful contractors, in my case they couldn't find a single Groomer. But they will sell your personal info. to scammers, spammers, and co.'s that will blow up your phone!

philliph41
8/1/17

Giant rip off. I'm not convinced that the leads are not automated. Sent out a ton of bids that were very competitive. Never heard a word back from any of them.

boba82
7/31/17

Tradition Construction charged more than his estimate and I contacted Dale Faltysek to come back and fix his awning he installed and he told me three times he would be back. I have not seen him yet. my awning leaked badly. I ended up repairing it myself.

Tip for consumers: Don't trust everyone unless you know some one who knows the guy.

kathyo29
7/31/17

I hired Property Peppers to refinish my exterior front door and replace the
screen on my sliding door. I couldn'the be more pleased with the work they did. Jim was professional and very personable. He set up and cleaned up. I would highly recommend this company. Beautiful work, reasonably priced.

Helpful answer

We love to see that you’re interested in joining Thumbtack, Grace! Your party planning business sounds like it will be a blast. When it comes to having a license, it's up to each professional to determine what licenses are necessary and follow their local, state and federal laws. I recommend checking with your state to see if a business license is needed for your service. Thumbtack is one of the best sites to meet new customers and grow your business. Robert S. gave a really good explanation of how we work. You can sign up and receive requests for free, and you only pay us when you send the customer a quote. Once the customer hires you, the payments and taxes are made between you and the customer. This is a great way to connect with the customer and build an extensive referral network. We wish you the best of luck with growing your business. Have an amazing day!

By Thumbtack-Support -. [Thumbtack Rep] on 10/12/15
Helpful answer

Thumbtack does not generate fake requests. When our professionals come to Thumbtack to meet new customers, we know how important it is to receive requests that can help them expand their clientele. We have a lot of customers that come to Thumbtack and hire professionals to help them complete their personal projects. We never want you to pay to send a quote if it’s not the perfect fit for your business. This is why you can view the details of each request before you send a quote and introduce yourself to the customer. James - I’m so sorry that the concerns you’ve brought to our attention haven’t been responded to in an appropriate amount of time, this is never our intention. It's important to us to obsess about answering our customers and professionals questions and concerns within a timely manner. We are a real company that can always be improving. You can read more about our company in reputable sources such as Forbes and the New York Times. If anyone has specific concerns about certain requests you’re receiving, we’d be happy to review them and see how we can help. Feel free to give us a call at (800) 343-1710, we have an amazing support team that is just waiting to talk to you.

By Thumbtack-Support -. [Thumbtack Rep] on 11/16/15
Helpful answer

Hi Kam- We definitely appreciate your concerns for the professionals that use our site, and I'd be happy to explain. Thumbtack works as a targeted marketing system where pros can choose the customers they’d like to send quotes to, and they only pay when they want to send a quote. Instead of spending large amounts of money to advertise generally, our pros are paying to get their information in front of specific customers who are actively seeking their type of service. We also refund pros if customers don’t look at their quotes within 48 hours. This way pros are only paying if the customer sees their information and gives them consideration for the job. For your concern, Dave- When pros are removed from the site or disable their account, they should be removed from SEO searches within 24 hours. To address other concerns in this thread, I want to clarify that we do not generate fake requests, and we have a verification process that is both automated and manual to filter requests. If our pros find anything suspicious, we encourage them to let us know right away so we can look into it. We love hearing your success stories, and we appreciate those that have shared their experiences. We encourage any professional who is having trouble getting hired to contact us at the phone number or email listed above. We have a great customer support team that is ready to help!

By Thumbtack-Support -. [Thumbtack Rep] on 10/5/15
Helpful answer

Hi Kay, I’d be happy to answer your questions. When we initially started Thumbtack in 2009, we tried multiple business models. This included a commission based model, but there were some concerns. When professionals didn’t pay for each quote they sent out, there was nothing to stop pros from quoting as much as possible, regardless of if they were the right fit for the job. Paying for each quote encourages better quality quotes and creates a much better experience for customers. Like you mentioned, it’s important for us to get customers to try our site and continue to hire professionals. In the end, pros are paying to promote and advertise themselves to customers that are already actively looking for that particular service. S.G has an amazing point, and Thumbtack is a great introduction site. There’s a lot of potential to expand your clientele, but sometimes it takes some tweaking to your profile and quotes to increase your response rate. The goal is to create a connection through your profile and quote message, and we’re here to help you do this. It’s kind of like sending the customer a virtual portfolio of your experience, achievements, and reviews. I do want to clarify that Thumbtack does not create fake requests, and it goes against everything we value as a company. While Thumbtack may not be the perfect fit for every business, we strongly believe that we can help connect businesses with new customers and foster growth. If you’d like to give us a call at (800) 343-1710, we’d love to give you more personalized help or answer any other concerns you may have.

By Thumbtack-Support -. [Thumbtack Rep] on 11/21/15
Helpful answer

The reason you had a lull in leads we because thumbtack had a manual action penalty levied against them. If you are not sure what that is you should google search it. The letter you received from Thumbtack regarding this was (as usual) not fully truthful. The letter does not detail the slimy tactics thumbtack used ti enhance google rankings in organic search returns. Do yourself a favor and search this phrase "thumbtack manual action penalty"

By Tyson K. on 6/22/15
Helpful answer

Hi Quyen. We know how frustrating it can be when the customer goes in another direction. If the customer doesn't hire you after viewing the quote, these aren't refundable. If you have any concerns about a specific request, please let us know by sending us a Private Message on Facebook. You can reach our Facebook page by following this link: https://www.facebook.com/Thumbtack/. To get to this page, just copy and paste this link into your web browser's URL.

By Thumbtack-Support -. [Thumbtack Rep] on 6/29/17
Helpful answer

We're sorry you're still receiving these emails. Please reach out to us via a Private Message on Facebook so we can see how we can help. You can reach our Facebook page by following this link: https://www.facebook.com/Thumbtack/. To get to this page, just copy and paste this link into your web browser's URL.

By Thumbtack-Support -. [Thumbtack Rep] on 6/28/17
Helpful answer

We can understand your frustration with this negative review, Thomas. Please give us a call at (800) 948-2034 so we can look into this further for you. We look forward to speaking with you.

By Thumbtack-Support -. [Thumbtack Rep] on 5/31/17
Helpful answer

We like that you're expanding your options, Rebecca. Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers with the right professionals for anything they need done. A lot of pros have met new customers off our site and you can too. You can see more information about how we work here: https://www.thumbtack.com/pros/how-thumbtack-works. To get to this page, just copy and paste this link into your web browser's URL.

By Thumbtack-Support -. [Thumbtack Rep] on 4/18/17
Helpful answer

We can help you with this, Lora. Please send us a Private Message on Facebook with your email address and the pro's business name. You can access our Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/Thumbtack/. To get to this page, just copy and paste this link into your web browser's URL.

By Thumbtack-Support -. [Thumbtack Rep] on 4/1/17
Questions? Get answers from the Thumbtack staff and other customers.

31 Photos for Thumbtack