Review of Thumbtack

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

nane54
4/29/17

I wrote an honest, factual negative review of a vendor on Thumbtack. I had documents, pictutex, and receipts for everything. The vendor disputed it. Within 48 hours I had the provide proof of hiring the vendor. A hassle, but I did it. The review was removed for 2 weeks while Thumbtack "investigated." On the 13th day the review was disallowed by Thumbtack. Buyer beware. Don't trust reviews on Thumbtack.

joyr22
4/29/17

I was listed on Thumbtack as a Marriage Counselor. After spending lots of money on fake leads that never converted i decided to switch to Bloomchase.com where i got listed and never have to pay for leads. Public beware of Thumbtack

codyt9
4/28/17

I paid nearly $100 and have sent out over 10 quotes and missed out on countless more by seconds. Thumbtack has a lot of potential but all you have to be good at is quick to respond to a request. People that are hiring are not always getting quality, they're getting the 5 quickest quotes. Very frustrating when you have to join the race and are limited to how much you write in your template. Also, people that are looking to hire are getting the cheapest labor or skilled person out there so if you're a professional this drives your product or service down just to compete with the other quick respondent. Don't understand why a lot of the requests ask for so many credits and others with the same type of job are at a third or quarter of the credits. If they had a deal that keeps you around until your first hire then that would have more incentive to stay with thumbtack but this system isn't in the providers favor.

richardk118
4/27/17

Moving into the area, I needed so many contractors, one that stands out for me is the Electrician, I hired A2Z Electric. From the first phone call I found the owner Abe to be very professional. The guys arrived on time, explained everything that needed to be done, and they cleaned up after themselves. They charged me a fair price and offered to come back if i need anything else. I would highly reccomend A2Z Electric if you are looking for professional clean service. It was a pleasure to meet such a nice young man!

evelynf16
4/26/17

IMOVE.INC are efficient movers.They were prompt, friendly and efficient. We showed Adam & Pablo what was to be loaded, and they got right to work. Their PUNCTUALITY and COMMUNICATION are SUPERB.They had everything carefully packed from New York to Maryland. No breakage and no shifting of our properties.IMOVE.INC, U guys rock!

dougp43
4/25/17

Bruce Sylvia is a gypsy. He doesn't pay his help, except maybe his illegal aliens, because they would kill him. He is an egotistical, know it all bully. He is a constant liar, chronic marijuana smoker and will take full advantage of you if you let him. He has a lot of crap with him, everything but a valid Home Improvement License and insurance. Beware of this dumb ass who thinks he is an intellectual. I wouldn't let this true jerk build a dog house for me. If anyone has any questions about this punk, feel free to call me. Doug. 240 706 0821. Thank you

edwardk55
4/25/17

I had the same exact problem, Thumbtack cancelled my account because I was associated with a company not allowed on Thumbtack. I responded to many request spending $100s of dollars, they refused to provide a refund after I requested my money back. They are not only a scam but a total rip-off. If my account was cancelled I should have received my money back.

milesb21
4/25/17

I think a lot of the requests for quotes are fake! Thumbtack makes money by selling credits to service providers (what they call: PROS) to bid on jobs. Half of the requests I see have zero details. Which means there is no way a PRO would know if the job is right for them. The temptation is just too great for fraud. And there is no way a PRO can ever know if the job was real or fake because the system is not transparent. I think the whole concept is to fleece PROS until they give up and rinse and repeat.

dianah66
4/24/17

Karen and her team at Clean Tech PRO are fantastic !
I always look forward to having my wooden window blinds cleaned. Karen double checks her cleaning. She is meticulous and her work completed to your satisfaction. They leave the house smelling fresh, doing extra touches and not rushing out the door.
I would recommend Clean Tech PRO to anyone looking for an excellent personalized cleaning service.

christinas111
4/24/17

So I've noticed fewer and fewer people bidding on jobs in my area lately because before I would have to quote really quickly when a job popped up otherwise it would "expire" due to only allowing 5 bids. Low and behold a slew of people are experiencing the exact same frustration I am. I have quoted over 20 people and can't even get anyone to respond! So then they offer this new "quote for free" gimmick where you only have to pay if someone messages you (not even if they hire you) so then before I even really figure out the settings on this new service there is a request for an event for some time NEXT YEAR and it automatically sends my bid without even notifying me and of course the one time someone responds it's on THAT bid thus charging me more than 3 times the normal credits for that type of gig and for an event that I wouldn't have even been able to book! I quickly turned that feature off and deleted my card info so they couldn't charge me. I'm done with this app. Competitor's can scout you making you pay credits and as far as I'm concerned they probably create fake customers so you buy more credits. Scammers.

ryann52
4/24/17

How does a company ( Thumbtack ) allow a potential customer you never met or entered into an agreement with mark you as hired because once you respond to the potential customers request they can mark you as hired and that's what happened to me. I reached out to a potential customer, never met them in person to look at the job, never even as much received a picture of the work to performed and when I did not respond to a message over the weekend while spending time with family this person who marked me as hired wrote a 1 star review due to me not responding over the weekend. I never met this person or entered into an agreement with this person so why does thumbtack allow potential customers to mark you as hired until you sign a contract. Does not make a damn bit of sense to me. But I guess it makes sense to thumbtack and the scumbag who left the review. You ( Thumbtack ) told me you couldn't remove the review the lady left even knowing I never met or had a signed contract stating what would be performed and for how much. You told me she is entitled to her opinion and so am I !!! I'm sure your little show will go on and you'll continue to allow scumbags like the one who reviewed me when we never met to leave reviews without even meeting or performing work for them. This person was probably a competitor and you all are to stupid to see that !!! Spend your money else where, it's typically people who already reached out to local companies that they couldn't afford so they're looking for a low ball offer or they will issue bad checks or not pay you at all, that's the crowd thumbtack attracts. Run !!!!

braydend
4/24/17

So after being a thumbtack pro since 2013 when the company first made their initial day break, I received an email at 4 AM this morning telling me that my account was dissolved. After calling and speaking with Pro-Support they had told me that my account had been taken down due to me referring certain services outside of my business. 2 hours of me $#*!ing out the supervisors and upper management, they had told me that they are going to dig into it however, If I am allowed to use thumbtack again, my company profile will have to be rebuilt and all customer reviews, jobs & hires will be gone and that it will be a profile from scratch.
I cant begin to tell you how disgusted I am with this service after spending THOUSANDS of dollars on leads and building a good working relationship with their company.
Not to mention the $100 in credits that were on my account.

alexandriam11
4/23/17

This company will let people who are not your customer slander your company! This company is a joke i was there customer for 4 years and they do not want to help your company in anyway they just take your money and run! Beware stay away!

taddh1
4/22/17

So when a Customer just views your quote you just paid for and they end up hiring outside of thumbtack you still lose your credits/money, WHICH THEY JUST RAISED PRICES ON!! So your telling me that if 5 contractors bid a job at 18 credits per person and 1 credit cost $2 that you guys just made $36 per contractor equaling $180 off a job that NO ONE GOT????? How is this good businesss???? And you never saw the customer heard anything from them just a stupid eyeball icon saying they viewed you thanks for the money

andrewv43
4/22/17

I've attempted to post on Thumbtack, looking for concrete service...three times and each time Thumtack support kicked it back saying my request was either "inappropriate; or that I was non-existent..etc etc." Each time I contacted their customer support thru the email link provided in their email to me....its been a week and I'm still waiting. Gues they must be out on a job....so much for "Customer Support"..

psychicforloversp
4/21/17

You as a pro sign up for this company hoping to get leads that will get you some work. You pay for some credits starting at $69 and then you get a lot of leads in your email. But here is the catch, you have to response lickety split. Fast in under two minutes, if not you will be beaten out by 5 other suckers(pros). They only allow 5 suckers(pros) to bid per lead. If you are too slow it will save you money, because as soon as the so call customer (which I feel is not always real customers but the workers who create phony profile) open up your bid you are charge some credits which is in other words money. It similar to paid per click, depending on your quote for the job you can be charge a lot of money for someone to just look at your bid. When I realise this I asked for my remaining balance and to close my account. They do not refund you unused money saying it is now credits, which are non refundable. So I am forced to bid on bogus customers only to be out bidded by my fellow pros or if I'm lucky enough to make the top 5 pros they will take my money and I will not get any work. I will dispute this with paypal and see how it goes. But I do not advise anyone to sign up as a pro with this company. THEY ARE A HORRIBLE, AWFUL AND DREADFUL COMPANY.

gailb69
4/20/17

Pest Shield did a great service friendly, honest quality work, I will be recommend him to anyone needing pest services. Great business

philipm85
4/18/17

THIS IS ME TRYING TO COMMUNICATE WITH A DUMMY AT THUMBTACK:

John: Hi, my name is John, thanks for reaching out.
John: hello there. Let me check on your concern. One moment please.

Me: Been out for a while, now back and went to thumbtack and seen your asking 20 to 50 credits per job ??? please tell me this is an error... or are you gauging us?

John: I see. I'll be glad to those credits for you. Let me just pull up your account.

Me: EXAMPLE:
John: I have checked the requests that you've been receiving and the number of credits required are correct. The number of credits are based on how big the project is.

Me: Dan M. Los Angeles, CA 90029 4/5 quotes sent 0h 04m avg pro response time Free to send quote! You'll use 56 credits if Dan responds. Thats over $100..!!!!!

John: That's a new feature on our website called Customer Contact. Customer Contact lets you send quotes for free and only use credits when you hear from interested customers who have received your quote and contacted or hired you.

Me: Very BAD, BAD idea... BIG, VERY BIG marketing error. I'm OUT..! and will give your company BAD reviews and BAD social media if you keep on Gauging us workers. This may be your downfall... please forward this to corp mgt.

John: We create new features on our website to help pros like you become successful in your business. Look at it this way, in the old system, you have to pay even if you just sent a quote regardless if the customer views it or not. With the new system, the only time that you will be charged is when you hear from interested customers who have received your quote and contacted or hired you.

John: Now, the credits required per project are based on several factors such as the size of the project, the demand and the category of the request that your bidding for.

Me: and how do you verify if customer has contacted me?

John: Once a customer views your quote and communicated with you through our messenger or marked you as hired.

Me: What you are saying is not clear to me. Is it when the client views the quote or hires me?

John: When we describe a customer contacting you, we mean any time a customer takes the next step after viewing your quote. This includes sending a message, scheduling time to talk or meet, making a phone call or marking you as hired.

Me: you said: John: Once a customer views your quote and communicated with you. So if a client reads my quote but does not contact me there is no charging me credits?

John: Sorry if it wasn't clear, what I was trying to say was if a customer took the next step after viewing your quote and communicated with. That's the time you will be charged.
Me: Please be specific... so what you are saying is if a customer contacts me just to ask me a question there is NO CHARGE. is this correct?

John: Yes. You shouldn't be charged if the customer only views your quote but did not initiate any communication with you.

Me: That's not my question..! Please read and anwser Yes or NO What is it that you don't understand my question is simple..!

John: I apologize if I misread your question. If that's the scenario then you will be charged since the customer showed interest and asked questions about your services.

Me: Communicating with you was an ORDEAL I am making a copy of all of this and sending to Corp Mgt.

Tip for consumers: GIMICK don't fall for it...!

siobhanp2
4/17/17

Within a few hours Mr. Hoff contacted me to set up an estimate. He came out the next morning and gave me a fair estimate, as well as trimmed my tree on the spot. Excellent service by thumbtack and Mr. Hoff.

trishd18
4/16/17

Micheal Rodriguez contacted me immediately with a very reasonable quote to clean my rain gutters. He and his partner were available the same morning and came to do a terrific job cleaning out the inside, down spouts, and outside of the gutters! I am VERY HAPPY with Mike's Mobile Washing!

najsjaj
4/15/17

The worst you can go and do jobs for people they don't pay you then leave you a bad review and they still will not do anything about it. It is a waste of money and credits cost way way way way way too much when in the long run people will end up just calling you for free by searching for other people and you pop up later on any ways.

jeanetteh24
4/15/17

I hired Jeanette to help me do a move out. She is a very hard and dedicated worker. She cleaned the way I wanted her to clean which was different for her and she did it. She is very responsible and dedicated and reliable to the job that I hired her to do. I definitely would hire her again. She knows how to deep clean and light clean. Barb McCluckie

davidh493
4/15/17

Mike really helped me out of refinishing my scratched hardwood flooring. He juggled his schedule to allow for my work to be completed in time for tenant move-in - really a nice job - better looking than when it was first installed. A very fair price. too.

christopherr79
4/14/17

Affordable Interior Concepts out of Altamonte Springs, FL was hired to install a Butler's Pantry upstairs in our hose for $8100. Thomas Ridley (VP) was the contact person and builder/contractor/salesman for the project.

The end product was a disaster. Thomas provided shoddy workmanship (later found cabinets he installed were not secured to the wall). Thomas installed lower cabinets and punctured the plumbing pipes to the adjoining laundry room and flooded the house with he damage at $25K. He admitted that he pasted PVC Pipes with glue but the weight of the pressure burst through with the water. At first, he admitted responsibility and said his insurance was for $1 million coverage and he felt bad. Later he falsely claimed that we installed the cabinets and our insurance had to go after him to recover the costs of repairing a relatively new house (less than 2 years old).

We had to deal with holes in ceiling downstairs for DriRite to dry out. We have soaked and damaged carpets. Damaged baseboards. Clouds of dust from a house held hostage by their destruction. Dust coming from damaged drywall.

Thomas and Affordable Interior Concepts (Altamonte Springs) displayed shoddy workmanship, had unskilled and highly unprofessional assistants. He actually had his fiancé come and sit upstairs with him for unknown reasons.

Our insurance Company had to go after him to make our house whole. We will never hire him again and do not have good things to say. Please see the pictures of the damage which he caused.

Christopher

mamadoud7
4/14/17

I had a bad experience. I strongly feel that this is a garbage. the lead is not filtered. i would not recommend it. waist of time, effort and money

61 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Thumbtack staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question