Review of Thumbtack

Tel: (800) 948-2034
info@thumbtack.com

kimb1823
10/19/17

Excellent, highly recommend. Efficient, completed job in timely manner. Polite and great price. Would definitely hire again.

joycew58
10/19/17

Laura Blair of Pure Image Photos did a surprise party for me. She was excellent, everyone had a blast and she was very professional. I would recommend her for any venue you may be planning. She kept in touch with me right up to the day of the party. I will certainly use her again. Thank you Laura for a wonderful job. Joyce

natalier48
10/17/17

I purchased a large pack of credits as a wedding officiant. Our typical price is about $100. They started to charge 4 credits per quote, which was about $12 or more. Discovered that the majority of my quotes were unread or the person had hired someone within seconds of my quote. I also believe that employees of Thumbtack put out fake requests to eat up your credits and force you to purchase more.

purvib
10/17/17

WARNING!! Please do not USE this contractor- he is a FRAUD. This contractor ran away with my deposit of $ 4,166 dollars. The contractor never showed up, never purchased materials, never returned my deposit.
We had to have the cops involved and file a case against this contractor. He never showed up in court and we won the case in our favor in small claims court but still haven't received our money back. His company name at the time was Dreamz General Contracting LLC(name is Ken Stuart and his wife's name is Kazar Burke Stuart). PLEASE STAY AWAY!

karenb337
10/16/17

Won't be using thumbtack again. Had a patio poured with cover only to find out after the fact that the contractor isn't licensed. Used cheap material and wouldn't use again.

charliek42
10/15/17

When Thumbtack was just becoming known a few years back there were approx 5 pros for every lead.
Because we hustled to be the best we received a fair share of business which made them a worthy investment at $3 per quote.
Fast forward two years and the leads have not increased yet the pro population has exploded to at last count 64 pros per lead in my area alone.

We stopped receiving even simple responses to quotes quite some time ago and found out it was because the few leads there are get inundated with quotes at lowball prices.

Thumbtack makes it's money from pros sending quotes out yet even the best qualified and lowest priced pros don't stand a chance against 63 other lowballing pros for the same lead.

TT claims they limit quotes to 5 per lead which I know is a flat out lie because my neighbor signed up as a customer and received over 40 bids within days on a job.

Even if I hadn't known this then simply do the math. 64+ pros in an area are paying $3 per quote to compete for the same lead yet TT supposedly only picks 5 out of the 64 to allow to send quotes?
Right!
How do they choose who gets to quote or who doesn't?
The claim is absurd. This would mean 59 pros who paid for block credits aren't even being exposed to what few leads come in. No matter how you slice it the math doesn't add up.

The worst part of all of this is TT promises the moon and deliberately does not let the new pros signing up know what they are up against because then obviously nobody in his right mind would sign up.

As Thumbtack income from pros increases the pros themselves make even less because the odds get even worse with every new pro joining.

They remind me of a multi level marketing pyramid scam where you made money back when they first started but now nobody but the owners make $ as it's grown.

It's simple. A bigger Thumbtack equals more pro competition, more income from pros but a zero increase in leads.
If you are in an unusual high demand specialty type business with little competition then you can get some business from TT but otherwise you are simply throwing your time and money away just to make Thumbtack richer.

michaelw378
10/13/17

Bad experience with Landscaper who lived in another state. I come to find out via Facebook page for the Landscaper 2 other customers were experiencing the same service, which was none from him. One individual actually went to arbitration and the landscaper in question hasn't paid him anything!!! Hard lesson to learn, I suggest if you go through Thumbtack, check the references before you give the " Professional" any money!

jodib24
10/12/17

I'm writing this review after watching someone very dear to me lose everything he has due to non payment from several jobs he got off of using thumbtack this site will definitely bring you some business but most likely than not you will not get paid after your job is complete and there's nothing you can do about it. Unless you want to go to small claims court which will cost you more money and more time that you don't have. My best suggestion is to do it the right way stay off these sites they do not screen their customers to ensure that you will get payment for the job that you do. It might just cost you whatever you have left..

christines145
10/11/17

Ihave been with Thumbtack for several years (over 5). They always had a way of doing business. We were guaranteed that only 5 pros would be able to bid on a job and we could actually see how many bid for any one request. Unbeknown to us, the pros, they changed the way they do business now and they will let extreme multiple people bid for the information. I just spoke with a woman who said she has received too many calls to keep. The only people making money is Thumbtack. If you change the way you do business, then we should be notified. I just canceled.
Despicable!

johnm1182
10/8/17

Right for people crappy for contractors they charge $300 deposit plus they charge you to bid plus they want a percentage of the job by the time it's all done I have to charge the customer eight times what I usually charge than if they just called me on my cell phone for a job because I have to pay them to get it it's not worth it and if you don't get the job you still have to pay them I hope they go under and never open another page it's not worth my time

stevef130
10/5/17

It is bad enough that I do believe they had fake people create the service requests, but they charge you in large lots for points. I had to leave behind money that they refused to refund after I didn't like the service! Horrible ripoff, stay away!!

suej55
10/3/17

as business owner, total waste of money. never got a job. only spent money to send a quote because it is a scam.
as customer, only get to hire a someone not reliable. cheapo.

brookea25
10/3/17

I am convinced that there isnt even real people looking for jobs on this site Im almost positive that every single job is fake(I.e. made up by thumbtack and they just take your bid money). I am livid with how much money Ive put into Thumbtack with no return. Pathetic.

marilynd26
9/27/17

What I received was one shady guy that would only do business via text. Only a idiot would do business worth thousands of dollars via text. I know there must be good fencing people in my area but given the one response I received, they are not on Thumbtack. I did contact Thumbtack after they sent me a email asking if I went with shady fence guy and received no response other than asking me to rate shady fence guy, I blocked them from all contact methods, and did not leave a rating, if there is someone out there that wants to do business via text for that $$ amount, as the saying goes, a fool and his money will soon part.

wendyb97
9/27/17

We have been doing business with Thumbtack for over a year. We are a 5 star company with over 170 customer reviews. Thumbtack had sent me a email requesting that we do a back round check. I do not check my emails on a daily basis because I do work in the field but had no problem submitting a back round check. I did not find out that they were wanting a back round check until I went into my Thumbtack account and they had deactivated my account. I called Thumbtack to ask them why and they said that we were randomly selected to do a back round check. Now mind you we have been doing business for over a year with them and had not had to submit back round check. So they explained that they had sent me a email and I had not responded so I went in while on the phone and submitted the back round form. They told me that it would stay deactivated until they received it back . Just days before this they took over $300 for leads that I can not get to. We also received a text from them saying that someone wanted to hire us but when we went in to except the booking request it wouldn't allow us because of the account being deactivated. I called Thumbtack the next day to ask about refund of my money for the leads and to see if there was anyway that they could expedite my back round check. At this time I was told that they had received mine but that they now needed my husbands ok no problem went in while on the phone and submitted it. The lady told me that she would call me back to see if they could turn account on since back rounds were submitted and about refund. I gave the lady 24 hrs to contact me back and of course with no return call I had to call them. I speak to a man named Brian he tells me that yes they have back round but that it could take up to 7-14 days for the back round to come back and that it is there policy to keep it deactivated until they come back. I asked for a refund of my money they can plainly see by going into my account that people are trying to hire me. I was told that I had to wait for back round to come back and then we could possibly talk about refund. Point being is I am a 5 star company who has been doing business with them for over a year with no back round check. I have submitted the forms (we don't have a back round) they have took my money but don't want to turn my account back on.

alexb240
9/25/17

When I first started using Thumbtack 2 years ago I did well having twenty 5 star reviews, tons of testimonial videos/pics, faster response time, longest in business etc.

The service more than paid for itself and I recommended them to every business owner I knew.
As the amount of pros has dramatically increased the lead base has not. Even though my stats out shined the competition in all depts. the lead response came to a complete halt over a year ago.
Thumbtack keeps saying lower the price even more which I did and still no response. If everyone has to drop prices to a ridiculous level to compete than it's better to go with Groupon at no up front cost.
The problem is the core structure of the company itself. It makes it's money only from the pros. There are 56 pros in my area doing what I do now and only a one lead average per day. Do the math.
Thumbtack benefits every time a pro sends a $3 quote. Of course they want more pros to sign up. Each potential client gets to benefit from a myriad of rock bottom prices but the pros who actually support the company have an even lower likelihood of getting a legit lead with every new pro who signs up.
I came to realize the problem is not prices but a lack of leads for the amount of ever increasing pros. In other words the more money Thumbtack makes the less money the paying pro makes. Their success guarantees your failure.

A once legit service has become a scam. Imagine paying for a dating site that has 50 men for every woman. The men don't know signing on that there is only one woman. What's worse is the men pay for the service while the woman pays nothing. In my book this qualifies as a scam.

bobm250
9/23/17

If you are a reputable business, don't count on Thumbtack to make you money.
The customers on that site only want cheap labor, NOT licensed cotractors. You waste your time driving around to give free estimates for the only to pick some joe-schmoe with no license who will do the job for a few hundred bucks.

russellt21
9/22/17

Mark is the very best at what he does. Very friendly and personable. Very thorough in explaining all,your roofing options and worked with my insurance company after the wind damage. I would highly recommend him for all your roofing needs.

kevine43
9/21/17

I have been almost 2 years 11 reviews.They have insight compares you with other pros,but when look at it some them not the ones you losing quotes too. Dont use their proassist i do believe it scam. You can message people you may get one out 10 to message back. 99.9 people don't event read your profile.

jeremyh76
9/21/17

This is a great company for free clients (consumers) but terrible for business owners. They charge for very low quality leads and don't care about customer service. They've created a program that auto responds for clients and they charge businesses even if the client never actually reaches out.

wessy1
9/20/17

I have been on thumbtack since 2009 and all I have ever gotten was bogus leads always kept fifty to a hundred credits on my account and when I cunfronted thumbtack about there service they deleted my profile and would not refund me for the credits I did have not to mention all the other businesses I had referred to them and this is how they treated a five star reputable company that has been with them for eight years and have waisted countless time and money beleaving that thumbtack was a fair lead company I was so wrong because after eight years I have still yet to receive one call from any customers needing our companies services so please do not waist your time and money like I did also I will be reaching out to more people on Google Facebook and where ever I can post to help future business owners not to be taken by thumbtack

ruslang5
9/20/17

I'm interior designer for 25 years. So I tried it. And I've sent 5 quotes with description: My services are free for you. Please call me or just reply! Free 3D modelling, free planning. Everything free!
So what you think...
No one reply. No one need any services. I've just spent 100$. I think government should punish the thumbtack founder. Someone call cops.

joyb44
9/18/17

Thumbtack put me onto the best mover (850 miles) I could have-Jonathan Mosley, All Star Movers, in Jackson, TN; he is a professional--courteous, trustworthy, punctual, efficient, reasonable & a Godsend.

lizj29
9/18/17

I have a single mobile home and I had Pedro's house painting, paint my house and he did a great job and I'm really satisfied with The work they did and very very reasonable Pricewise

teet13
9/18/17

Thumbtack appears to be a tool for people to request quotes out of curiosity, with no real intention of hiring a contractor - (maybe it's kids just messing around..???).

I've been w/Thumbtack for almost 1yr and initially pursued leads and spent hundreds of dollars in the first couple of months, only to realize that 99% of these quotes -you would never get a reply back or anything! You are tied to Thumbtack's portal to try and follow up on your leads, which sucks, because you're paying for something that you get no direct way of contacting that lead and most the time the listed lead never has a phone #. There are plenty of other lead generation sites that will do this!!

Thumbtack customers are not looking for true professionals, but at best - if it's a real lead, the cheapest price.

As a Thumbtack Pro - save your time & money and put your marketing dollars elsewhere.

Helpful answer

We love to see that you’re interested in joining Thumbtack, Grace! Your party planning business sounds like it will be a blast. When it comes to having a license, it's up to each professional to determine what licenses are necessary and follow their local, state and federal laws. I recommend checking with your state to see if a business license is needed for your service. Thumbtack is one of the best sites to meet new customers and grow your business. Robert S. gave a really good explanation of how we work. You can sign up and receive requests for free, and you only pay us when you send the customer a quote. Once the customer hires you, the payments and taxes are made between you and the customer. This is a great way to connect with the customer and build an extensive referral network. We wish you the best of luck with growing your business. Have an amazing day!

By Thumbtack-Support -. [Thumbtack Rep] on 10/12/15
Helpful answer

Hi Kam- We definitely appreciate your concerns for the professionals that use our site, and I'd be happy to explain. Thumbtack works as a targeted marketing system where pros can choose the customers they’d like to send quotes to, and they only pay when they want to send a quote. Instead of spending large amounts of money to advertise generally, our pros are paying to get their information in front of specific customers who are actively seeking their type of service. We also refund pros if customers don’t look at their quotes within 48 hours. This way pros are only paying if the customer sees their information and gives them consideration for the job. For your concern, Dave- When pros are removed from the site or disable their account, they should be removed from SEO searches within 24 hours. To address other concerns in this thread, I want to clarify that we do not generate fake requests, and we have a verification process that is both automated and manual to filter requests. If our pros find anything suspicious, we encourage them to let us know right away so we can look into it. We love hearing your success stories, and we appreciate those that have shared their experiences. We encourage any professional who is having trouble getting hired to contact us at the phone number or email listed above. We have a great customer support team that is ready to help!

By Thumbtack-Support -. [Thumbtack Rep] on 10/5/15
Helpful answer

Hi Kay, I’d be happy to answer your questions. When we initially started Thumbtack in 2009, we tried multiple business models. This included a commission based model, but there were some concerns. When professionals didn’t pay for each quote they sent out, there was nothing to stop pros from quoting as much as possible, regardless of if they were the right fit for the job. Paying for each quote encourages better quality quotes and creates a much better experience for customers. Like you mentioned, it’s important for us to get customers to try our site and continue to hire professionals. In the end, pros are paying to promote and advertise themselves to customers that are already actively looking for that particular service. S.G has an amazing point, and Thumbtack is a great introduction site. There’s a lot of potential to expand your clientele, but sometimes it takes some tweaking to your profile and quotes to increase your response rate. The goal is to create a connection through your profile and quote message, and we’re here to help you do this. It’s kind of like sending the customer a virtual portfolio of your experience, achievements, and reviews. I do want to clarify that Thumbtack does not create fake requests, and it goes against everything we value as a company. While Thumbtack may not be the perfect fit for every business, we strongly believe that we can help connect businesses with new customers and foster growth. If you’d like to give us a call at (800) 343-1710, we’d love to give you more personalized help or answer any other concerns you may have.

By Thumbtack-Support -. [Thumbtack Rep] on 11/21/15
Helpful answer

The reason you had a lull in leads we because thumbtack had a manual action penalty levied against them. If you are not sure what that is you should google search it. The letter you received from Thumbtack regarding this was (as usual) not fully truthful. The letter does not detail the slimy tactics thumbtack used ti enhance google rankings in organic search returns. Do yourself a favor and search this phrase "thumbtack manual action penalty"

By Tyson K. on 6/22/15
Helpful answer

Thumbtack does not generate fake requests. When our professionals come to Thumbtack to meet new customers, we know how important it is to receive requests that can help them expand their clientele. We have a lot of customers that come to Thumbtack and hire professionals to help them complete their personal projects. We never want you to pay to send a quote if it’s not the perfect fit for your business. This is why you can view the details of each request before you send a quote and introduce yourself to the customer. James - I’m so sorry that the concerns you’ve brought to our attention haven’t been responded to in an appropriate amount of time, this is never our intention. It's important to us to obsess about answering our customers and professionals questions and concerns within a timely manner. We are a real company that can always be improving. You can read more about our company in reputable sources such as Forbes and the New York Times. If anyone has specific concerns about certain requests you’re receiving, we’d be happy to review them and see how we can help. Feel free to give us a call at (800) 343-1710, we have an amazing support team that is just waiting to talk to you.

By Thumbtack-Support -. [Thumbtack Rep] on 11/16/15
Helpful answer

With licenses, it's up to each professional to determine what licenses are necessary and follow their local, state and federal laws. If you have questions about a certain account, please give us a call at (800) 948-2034. We'd be happy to go over these with you.

By Thumbtack-Support -. [Thumbtack Rep] on 7/25/17
Helpful answer

Each business is different. We'd be happy to look further into this for you with more information, please send us a Private Message on Facebook. You can reach our Facebook page by following this link: https://www.facebook.com/Thumbtack/. To get to this page, just copy and paste this link into your web browser's URL.

By Thumbtack-Support -. [Thumbtack Rep] on 7/1/17
Helpful answer

Hi Quyen. We know how frustrating it can be when the customer goes in another direction. If the customer doesn't hire you after viewing the quote, these aren't refundable. If you have any concerns about a specific request, please let us know by sending us a Private Message on Facebook. You can reach our Facebook page by following this link: https://www.facebook.com/Thumbtack/. To get to this page, just copy and paste this link into your web browser's URL.

By Thumbtack-Support -. [Thumbtack Rep] on 6/29/17
Helpful answer

We're sorry you're still receiving these emails. Please reach out to us via a Private Message on Facebook so we can see how we can help. You can reach our Facebook page by following this link: https://www.facebook.com/Thumbtack/. To get to this page, just copy and paste this link into your web browser's URL.

By Thumbtack-Support -. [Thumbtack Rep] on 6/28/17
Helpful answer

We can understand your frustration with this negative review, Thomas. Please give us a call at (800) 948-2034 so we can look into this further for you. We look forward to speaking with you.

By Thumbtack-Support -. [Thumbtack Rep] on 5/31/17
Questions? Get answers from the Thumbtack staff and other customers.

31 Photos for Thumbtack