US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

lynnb79
8/23/16

I have requested estimates for 2 jobs. They aren't anything unusual or odd. I live in Phoenix (the 6th largest city in the U.S.). They obviously don't attract many service providers because I didn't get any estimates for my first job request and the second (I just requested) they gave me the same, "not many in your area, possibly one estimate in 24 hours" so, I won't hold my breath. I guess it's Angie's List for me.

metsk
8/23/16

Mark @ US Pools maintains my pool for the last few years. He is very knowledgable and gives me a reasonable price. I definitely recommend him to others.

stellam27
8/22/16

I am a professional caterer. I started my business recently. I had no idea how to get jobs and I 'd seen the Thumbtack commercial in Facebook. I signed in and finished my profile with tons of pictures I bought credits many times and got hired only once because I had to put the price down of my service ridiculously just in order to get hired and have a review.
After that never again. I had many people asking me questions and sent pictures and estimates over and over and the clients just don;t follow up or they just changed their minds,,, The clients don't care because we are the ones who pay to get jobs. And that is not fair. How do we know these clients are for real and they are not just fooling around? The clients get five estimates for services and they have the luxury to choose from these five service providers. But we get nothing. THUMBTACK A RIP OFF.

tias11
8/21/16

Wade the handyman is one of a kind I needed carpet installed on a Sunday and to my surprise he was available. Great customer service and professionalism. Give him a call if you need a handyman (757)701-5218 Wade the Handyman

jamiem92
8/21/16

I wasted some money to try and get some extra work while I was slow I got "leads" everyday but never any work they saw my quote and thumbtack got the money and I never got anything. So I started reading reviews about thumbtack and I'm not the only one this has happened to so I will not be using them anymore. Waste of time and money.
If there was a 0 I would rate them lower but they make you give at least a 1.

goharh
8/20/16

Jeff Jissner is a plumber who came to replace my kitchen sink. Did a good job, however we had a minor leak. I called him and he came over and fixed it, promising to come back if needed. His attitude and professionalism was remarkable. His charges were minimal. I recommend him very highly. He is in Minneapolis, MN. Gohar Husain

emmav11
8/14/16

We used a business In Spring Lake MI called Pure Renewal for an interior painter. The people he referred us to did a horrible job. We contacted Pure Renewal in Spring Lake and he said he would take care of the problem, he hasn't and has not returned messages. My husband will have to spend more money and a lot of time trying to repair and finish the job and they have our money. Please stay away from Pure Renewal in Spring Lake, MI.

raye33
8/11/16

I wrote an adverse review about this contractor because it appeared that he scammed me.
Today he called and apologized for not calling to tell me why he was delayed.
He came today and is in the process of doing the job. He is doing a good job.
Ray Ellimger

lydiap14
8/11/16

I requested some movers in the southern Indiana area through Thumbtack and very quickly got a response from Tim Taylor with SaveMoneyMoving.com. His prices were better than anyone else's in the area and he was willing to be flexible in working with us since the closing date on our home kept changing. He never charged us any fees for having to reschedule. This team of movers is located in Louisville, Kentucky and services the surrounding areas. Tim and 2 other movers arrived on time and within 3 hours had completely unloaded our 2 full PODS, put together all furniture, and even set it all up for us where we wanted it. The only thing we had left to do was unpack our boxes! They only took one short 5 minute break in between unloading the first and second POD. Their work and manner was extremely professional. They were kind, considerate and very careful with our items. Hands down they were the best movers we've ever worked with and we've moved a lot!

sandyb68
8/9/16

I used Wendy Heller as a private dog trainer for my three dogs. She showed us how to train our dogs with positive reinforcement. Our dogs responded very well and I found I wasn't yelling all the time. I would recommend her and found it to be a positive experience.

janp44
8/9/16

I found Joseph Dorman through thumbtack to install a privacy fence. Good job, sufficient, professional, and true to his word...also reasonable

garyl88
8/9/16

I have a painting business in Adairsville Ga. I have been on Thumbtack for several months, HOW STUPID AM I? your lucky to get 1 job a month. I get several request a day and respond to almost every one. The way it works is when you get a request it costs you to reply and in my line of work you need to look at the job on order to give a proper quote and when the customer views your quote you loose your money, I might have one person a month actually respond with an address or phone #. They are 3 men who own this company in San Francisco and they don't have a phone # to reach them. I wish the BBB would investigate them because I fell they are sending out fake requests or they are viewing them their self or just flat out making the requests up. I know whoever is doing this is getting rich just off myself alone. If anyone wants to call me about this, feel free to do so, 706-934-1714.

pennyd10
8/8/16

I hired Marquis Delgado for a message day, pool side. He was awesome and his girl therapist was just as good. Every single gal ( 40 - 60 yrs ) was very happy. Both therapists listened to individual needs and delivered. They were quiet, polite and accommodating. Thank you Marquis and look forward to the next spa day at my house

lisal196
8/6/16

Mark Schultz did an amazing job at our wedding reception on July 29,2016 at the Bavarian! Every one kept asking who was the DJ? Mark worked with us from the very beginning and gave us a lot of good suggestions! We couldn't be happier with the job Matk did! Thank you Mark for making our reception a success!

jenniferb233
8/6/16

In many ways, Thumbtack is like taking your money to the casino. They give you just enough hope to keep throwing money down with anticipation that your next bet is a win. I gave myself a test budget of $100 and have found that either the users on Thumbtack are just casual shoppers trying to gather a "price range" for the services they are loosely considering or Thumbtack is sending false leads. You see, with Thumbtack you purchase credits upfront. Each job bid varies from 3-6 credits (at least it does for wedding planning services) to send over a quote. Most are 5 to 6 credits with credit purchase prices changing as you need them. For example a starter pack of 30 credits was $30, then 6 credits was $10, then 1 credit was $1.66. Once you've bid, and the quote is viewed, the money is gone. Out of $100 I've sent about 17 quotes. Of those 17 Thumbtack claims 15 were viewed, 2 went to my website, 1 physical contacted me as a result of my bid and 0 hires. The lead that I had was really only looking to validate whether her planning process was on the right track and didn't even have planning in her budget at all! Thumbtack takes your money up front, provides instant gratification with slightly room temperature leads and takes your money even if all five bidders (that's the max) go un hired.

karend114
8/5/16

So happy with the service we got from this company. They did everything they were paid to do and did a great job. Easy to deal with. Yes I would recommend them.

dedrad
8/5/16

In February of 2015, I started the process of obtaining a Change of Use permit ...I thought it would be an easy process but I had no idea how challenging it would be dealing with Building and Safety and the bureaucracy I would have to go through, or the different departments I would be shifted to or the constant fees I would have to pay only to be denied in the end because of the lack of parking spaces. I was frustrated, aggravated and totally worn down, leaving in tears after my last visit...I was almost ready to give up....Instead, I decided to hire a professional to help me obtain the permit...I came across Thumtack and explained my project, within minutes I was contacted by building designer, Reza Nasr. From the beginning of our conversation, he seemed knowledgeable, professional and genuinely empathetic about my situation. He explained the process and encouraged me not to give up....This made me feel comfortable and confident that he was the person that could help me....From the time I handed him all the paperwork, blueprints and information I had accumulated over the past year, he took the reins. He came out to our property, re-did our blueprints, booked appointments with planners, dealt with Building and Safety on my behalf, all while and keeping me informed in each step of the process Finally, after 3 months, he did what I had been trying to do for over year...And now with my permit in hand, I couldn't be happier!!! I will use Reza in all my future projects and refer him to anyone that needs a trustworthy, professional, knowledgeable building designer that can get the job done!!!!!

D. Dixon, Administrator
Ella's Foundation
Los Angeles, CA

acarolyne
8/4/16

My patio furniture was completely worn out after ten year. Jacks Custom interior restored it and it looks better than it did 10 years ago. Excellent Job

dorothyh37
8/4/16

We've worked with Jeff Young from Renew Crew for several years. He uses biodegradable wash and turned our gray-looking fence into a looking like new fence. Neighbors were impressed. He's very professional. He also re-stained our deck and has kept it looking nice over the years.

susand143
8/3/16

Sam And Toni of S & T Home Improvement did a great job painting our rental house
They were flexible with hours and did a nice job sanding and patching cracks and holes. They painted walls, ceilings ,doors, baseboards and door trim. They were priced very reasonably and cleaned up the mess.

michellef88
8/1/16

Yes I need to cancel my account the 4 choices available to describe my business is causing an influx of undesirable quote requests. I want to shut it down. I have asked to add my field to the list but they could not promise me that it would change.

teresat33
7/30/16

i had some large trees topped and trimmed that havent ever been trimmed in 23 years. they did a great job, cleaned up the mess and was very timely and easy to work with. would recommend to anyone!

alexy111
7/28/16

I tried the first time to get gardening service and this vendor called and responded and promised to come onsite at , and guess what they didn't show up. What kind of service is this and there is no rating or review for the vendor on the site, waste of time and garbage. Will not use again. Horrible business model.

roberts473
7/27/16

I used Thumbtack.com to find a hardwood floor refinisher.

I located a 11 times 5 star reviewed company called DLS flooring on Thumbtacks website. Thumbtack says theyve been background checked and vetted, licensed and insured. I found DLS Flooring at 110 East 177th street apt -1-F Bronx, NY 10453 (347) 928-5727.

I paid $1000 out of $1500 to Albert Ramos to refinish hardwood floors.

DLS Flooring came and destroyed my hardwood floors. The damage he caused will cost $6870 to repair, because he buffed away the wood stain of the wood, and it needs to be resanded and stained.

In text exchanges, Albert Ramos of DLS says hes not insured. I could not locate a license in NYC Dept. of Consumer Affairs. Thumbtack represented this company as background checked, and claimed 5 star rating 11 times.

The company wont refund the money paid, or pay for damages.

Thumbtack.coms business model does not work and your audience need to know about it to protect themselves in the future.

See pictures at thumbtackreview.weebly.com

juleneb
7/27/16

Hired them to do deep cleaning, I wish I could post pictures to show you how terrible they did, I barely heard the water run. Would NEVER use them or refer them to anyone.

32 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Thumbtack staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
1 week ago
Answer
thumbtackt
A: We'd love to help you out, Sarah. Please give us another call at (800) 948-2034 so we can research this further for you. We look forward to speaking to you!

-Jenny
1 week ago
Helpful answer
Add your answer
3 weeks ago
Answer
thumbtackt
A: We'd be happy to go over any licensing questions and concerns you have, Paul. Please give us a call at (800) 948-2034 so we can look into this further for you. We look forward to speaking to you!

-Jenny