Review of Thumbtack

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

deepay1
3/23/17

We were looking at getting new hardwood floors and tried to use thumbtack to get quotes. The first contractor showed up, looked around and left stating he will send the quote. Never heard back from him.

The second one was more communicative, promised us the sun and moon and kept pushing us to sign the contract. We got suspicious and contacted the BBB. Turns out that he has had many businesses with different names before.He will get the advance from the customer and then vanish. His previous BBB rating was "F". I wonder how thumbtack that background checks all contractors missed on that.

Needless to say we went with a contractor who we knew even though he was a bit more expensive.

Consumers beware and do your homework before hiring someone off this site because thumbtack obviously doesn't.

anthonyp112
3/23/17

Listen I've got one job only all the jobs they sent a fake. I've dropped my rate down I still got nothing and they refund the credit sometime. Their motto is we get you the clients to speak to you that's what you're paying for. If you use Company call Smith if you don't get hired they don't take your credit and they'll give you back your credits although that site is a scam as well just watching my money go back-and-forth with no results stay away from thumbtack put them out of business actually they are ripping us off and it's illegal to steal our money so hey thumbtack why don't you treat people better and stop stealing our money! I don't know who you think you are but I've contacted the Better Business Bureau about you and I will have you shut down if possible even if we have to have a petition going around in an investigation it will be underway and that will result in you closing your doors to stealing contractors money you're a bunch of shysters sitting on your couch in your underwear you're no better than a telemarketer losers. Of course you text me back saying we give you the leads and it's your job to contact the customer resend the quote send him an email why don't the customers have to put a phone number down because they're fake people and you are a fake company you should be ashamed of yourselves

mikem485
3/22/17

I joined Thumbtack as a contractor in the early stages and they actually did a good job at first. I spent thousands of dollars on quotes and made my money back the first year. I then noticed the second year there was a dramatic drop on results and quickly discovered a ton of fake job requests coming up. I can't help but to think these were generated by Thumbtack because they continued to happen over and over again.
I would call and get the credits I spent refunded but what about all of the people that didn't realize that a large amount of the requests were fake? I also noticed an increase in the number of people that would request service and then look at the quote and never respond (by looking at the quote that qualified it as a good request and you were billed). Why would somebody interested in having work done never reply back to the contractors? I actually called, when they had support you could call into, and the Thumbtack customer support people would tell me that these people requesting a quote didn't respond to anybody, hmm.
Needless to say I stopped while I was ahead, luckily I had a good run while they were legit.
I feel bad for the contractors that get into it now, odds are against them making money from it.
Note, I did very well with reviews that first year and made money from it, all of my reviews were 5 star reviews and things were good at first.
I think most of the reviews I see on sitejabber that are good are from consumers and not contractors, seems like the contractor reviews are mostly bad.
You would think that Thumbtack would make it so contractors and consumers are happy with the website, that is why I think that they are actually allowing this to happen on purpose because that is how they make money or they are actually doing it to make money.
Sad, this could have been a really good setup for everybody.
If you are a contractor stay away from Thumbtack or you will get stuck.

tysona10
3/20/17

I haven't got one converted referral. No one that uses this site is genuinely interested in obtaining services.

cherylf36
3/20/17

I received 3 quotes to have a printer installed, I received the price quote but when I was ready to have work done noone would call me back to actually do the install after leaving several messages w pre tech sol, and BBTek I would not recommened either one of these

deidrer2
3/19/17

My company joined thumbtack before they were very popular about three years ago. At first it seemed that the leads were not working out but it was not to expensive so we stuck with it because we were farely new to it. After about a couple of months we had already started to get work from it. Ever since it has helped us generate tons of great new clients and tons of new projects. I strongly recommend them to professionals and the key is to work on your profile post pictures and ask for reviews. We couldn't be happier with thumbtack. Our company is Brothers Painting & Tile LLC out of Indiana. It's not an overnight fit you have to give stuff alittle time but it does work. We have tried several other lead generators and it was a financial drain home advisor which used to be service magic were and still are a bunch of thieves and network is terrible. So if your thinking about giving thumbtack a try I strongly recommend trying it there customer service has always been great I hope this helps on your decision

edd961
3/17/17

I have been around the horn trying to get my website where I wanted it, spent a lot of money and finally found someone who really gets the job done at a reasonable price and quickly. Dave has a deep computer background and it shows. If you want the biggest bang for your buck, look no further!

Tip for consumers: Tell Dave what you want and stand back!

gayg6
3/17/17

I was very happy with the work of CLS-Max. Chris is the owner and he completed my projects in a timely fashion. professional and efficient.

I would recommend this handyman service.
I will certainly call CLS-Max for other projects.

jls2
3/16/17

I do not recommend using this Thumbtack service at all! Stay away from it, it is completely unreliable; Several of the companies are the same people with different names. They are unreliable, not dependable; and a complete waste of my time! The first company I hired to clean my house did not show up 4 times. I fired them after giving them so many chances, they would send a message one minute prior telling me they could not come to clean and had to keep rescheduling. Then recently I hired another company. The first day they were 6 and half hours late! You would think I would not use them again. They did not do a bad job, and believe in giving second chances. I tried again, and they were scheduled to come for the 2nd cleaning. I confirmed the date and time 4 days in advance via phone call and text. They did NOT SHOW, they apologized and offered another time, Again they simply did not call, did not message and did not come! I will never ever use THUMBTACK FOR ANY SERVICE EVER AGAIN, furthermore there is no where on the site to write a review, there is no phone number to call! They are the worst company and they have the worst company's listed, they have no screening process at all- Horrible!

Tip for consumers: Do not use this service at all! It is the worst

davidb656
3/16/17

First you have to pay and then find out that the info is fake. Don't waste your time with this site.

As a professional we have a moving company and all leads are fake leads from people In order to place a quote you need to by credits.

Don't waste your money.

Thumbtack is the worst.

alexs413
3/16/17

I took a chance like most contractors. I bought $20 in credits, since most requested quotes are only 3 or 4 dollars. I actually sold my first one! I thought "this is going to be great" Not so fast my friend! I have used almost all of the rest of my credits and have not sold 1! I only had 1 other that requested a quote for gutters and guards. Of course, the customer wants you to just go by, take a look and leave a quote in the mailbox! So, not only a waste of money, but a huge waste of my time. I will not be buying any more credits. I'm done

ethelr11
3/14/17

I hired Long Bay Lawn Service to cut in new beds and buy and plant two trees for me. He was always on time and very professional. He did a beautiful job with the front and back of my house (which had no landscaping at all). Actually, while he was working in my front yard, two people stopped to get his card. wonderful to work, with and I would highly recommend his service.

bemontp
3/12/17

Don't waste your time with this site if your a professional. I own a house Painting company and was bombarded with fake leads fron people looking for work don on their homes. In order to place a quote you need to by credits. Not one lead worked out and I am pretty sure the leads Thumbtack was sending were fake. Don't waste your money buying "credits". I'd recommend sticking with basics to promote your company. Site signs, and good old fashioned word of mouth. If your any good, people will call. Thumbtack is the worst.

saraf40
3/12/17

I contacted thumbtack and received a very quick reply from Leo Kirk he arrived in a timely matter and was very helpful..

margos12
3/12/17

I'm new to AZ and AARP couldn't do an out of state income tax return, so I googled the top 10 tax preparers and THUMBTACK came up. I selected one of two in this area and was completed thrilled with David's experience, honest demeanor, knowledge and ability to offer me options regarding my return. The price was so reasonable ($100 less than the other 'corporate office') and I will return to him for as long as I live in the Oro Valley. His office is in a building next to the Fire Station.

P

richm234
3/9/17

The website looks good, the idea isn't bad, but the execution? Whoever came up with it should be executed. Those of us who are in business get to spend money to send out quotes. $1.67 per credit - I thought that meant $1.67 per quote - fair enough, even $3 might be okay, but NO I've seen listing asking for 8, 10, 12 and even 14 credits just to send a number to a client (that's $23.38). Really?

Why would anyone spend $23 to send a blind quote to someone whom they don't know anything about? Thumbtack is a joke. 168 one-star reviews isn't a good thing, considering that employees and the owner and their family usually post a lot of the good reviews.

I tried to unsubscribe and it went to a page that said "welcome back" Seriously! Couldn't make this stuff up. I emailed them to no reply of course.
STAY AWAY, STAY FAR AWAY

suzannef11
3/9/17

Still haven't received any money back from Natalie Pyles for non existent personal training sessions. She wrote me an email asking where she could refund my money in two payments, (6 weeks ago), still nothing. So...... I repeat, STAY AWAY FROM NATALIE PYLES. She also works out of Fitness Elements. You will regret it.

leonardl24
3/8/17

We had two sessions With Anna with our puppy. He had taught our puppy to sit, Stay comma come when her name is called. I would recommend her to anybody who wants a professional dog obedience trainer.

geraldinew10
3/8/17

When I saw my son do his first professional show I was sweating like bullets, afraid for him and kept thinking myself, "Would if they don't laugh?" what I say to him if his performance bombed.

All of sudden the MC introduces my son Woodi Bruce on stage. He gets a well received reception. And then like magic, he makes his little friend Tony Francisco come alive. He was hilarious, he had impeccable timing, he made the audience believe that Tony was a real person. At that point, I was very proud of my son. I knew he was truly an artist at his craft.

Geraldine Woodford
Very very proud of Woodi Bruce

roberts567
3/7/17

I am a licensed contractor. And I was with TT for over a year. I have had many customers tell me their horror stories about other contractors recommended by TT who were not licensed and did a horrible job. I submitted suggestions after suggestions recommending they clean up their list of non licensed contractors with no results. One week I decided to take a vacation. I put our account on hold for a week. When I got back TT turned off our account and told us it was due to not getting our back ground checked. We have been with TT over a year and did or back ground check when we first signed up, not to mentin I am a California licensed contractor already back ground checked by the state and Feds. I did the back ground check again and they still have my account closed. Try to reach them by phone and they got rid of the numbers to talk with them. You can only send in emails. What a joke. A year of paying their high fees and this is were you end up. Lots of children who think they are god. Thank goodness there are other companies out there.

bobp74
3/7/17

One of the first things Joe said to me "I don't require any money until the project is finished". That sold me on hiring him for our living room renovation. His workers are so trustworthy and nice. We actually had some fun while they renovated our living room. They sheetrocked, painted, and put in my new hardwood floor and the price was very reasonable. They came on time every day and will stay until the project is completed. In fact, I won't hire anyone else I just need to call Joe for future handyman jobs around my home.

annap81
3/6/17

This is a fake site. I waisted money on this site and now I can't remove it. I responded to so many people and never got one job. Save your time and money.

lindag179
3/4/17

Melissa does really nice color and styles. She has a great personality and you will love what she can do with your hair.

pams86
3/3/17

Dom Manasi was highly recommended to me and after 5 lessons, I can say without hesitation, I am very lucky to be studying with such an extraordinary musician and guitar player. When Dom said he could teach me to read music in a few months I was not convinced, as anyone with dyslexia, such as myself, would be. 5 years of lessons, as a kid, gave me a life long appreciation for playing along with few illusions about my very limited musicianship. In Doms case his musicianship and creativity are so inspiring as to be contagious. I am seeing, after a short time, significant progress in my playing ability and understanding of concepts that for years I thought were far beyond me. So instead of being intimidated by Doms vast knowledge and talent I just feel grateful to have found a committed teacher who cares about imparting his knowledge, experience and enthusiasm to his students. That enthusiasm fuels my commitment and who knows what I will be able to accomplish over the next year, in which time I will post another review.

martyg18
3/3/17

Our experience with CBE general contractors was excellent. Rick came to our home to view the pre project, game us some added ideas and options which we used! His
expertice and Pete's was exceptional. The remodel included tiling the master bedroom and bathroom total remodel. Everything went according to plan and was finished at the projected time. My husband broke his ankle before the job was completed so we had to add and few things like more grab bars--for handicapped. They installed them immediately. Even brought his scooter for my husband to use. I would not hesitate to rehire them for future projects nor would I hesitate to refer them to our friends. Our special THANK YOU to CBE for their courtesies and a job well done. I am very proud of our bathroom now and LOVE the shower!!!
The Gumps

50 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Thumbtack staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
melissak55
Melissa K.
3 days, 12 hours ago
Answer
thumbtackt
Thumbtack-Support -. [Thumbtack Rep]
A: This is a great question, Melissa. You can review a pro that you had a positive experience with by following the steps in this article: http://thumb.tk/reviewingpros. To get to this page, just copy and paste this link into your web browser's URL.
2 days, 12 hours ago
1 week, 6 days ago
Answer
thumbtackt
Thumbtack-Support -. [Thumbtack Rep]
A: Reviews are a great way to show how you feel about the professional's service, AJ. We'd be happy to walk you through this process. Please give us a call at (800) 948-2034. We look forward to speaking to you.
1 week, 3 days ago