Review of Instacart

Tel: 1645605963857
shoppers@instacart.com

sharonc171
11/18/17

First off, I love Instacart's concept as I don't have a car at this time. HOWEVER... you are charged a higher amount initially to allow for +/- when the shopping is done (charged $50 on your debit or credit card, but actual order was $40.50). When all is said & done, Instacart's does not adjust the final amount to reflect your actual purchase. I have ordered 3 times & going back to review what Instacart's charged me vs the debit card deduction, Instacart's owes me $28. So far, no resolution. Can you say ripoff?? Also, they do not take cash payments....I wonder why??!! By using & authorizing money deducted from your account, they're "banking" on you not checking your account after you eat your food.

I am not thru with Instacart!! I will get the money owed to me!!

kellym243
11/16/17

I wish this service could work for me, the idea is good, but the service is terrible. The shoppers need to be trained. Never let the shopper pick a replacement for you, it will cost you double. And now, they place a temporary hold on your account, then another temporary hold for the actual amount and then charge you for the purchase, all in the same day. And the funds will be held for nearly 6 days. in the past they would do a temporary hold and then credit the difference the same day.

barbaraw168
11/16/17

I really wanted to have Whole Foods products delivered so I tried Instacart a couple of times. One time was worse than the next-nearly half of my order was unavailable and I spent close to an hour answering texts about substitutions. Additionally, the overall selection is limited. It's a ridiculous waste of time to use this service.

sandrab200
11/16/17

My card was charged a $149.00 yearly service fee completely out of the blue, with no prior notice of any kind. Fortunately dealing with customer service was OK, and they said they would reverse the charge.
The next morning I see my card was charged $14.99 from Instacart before the refund they've supposedly issued has hit my account. I can't even remove my payment information on the site to avoid being charged more because of this.
Not to mention, the service was sub-par half the time anyways.

alicec100
11/16/17

If you use this service, be sure and check your bank balance. They put through the entire amount of my order twice - almost $150. The really frustrating part is that after 3 phone calls and 2 emails, they keep saying a supervisor will call me back because they can't do anything about it and this is the 4th day and no one has called me back. At first I thought the double billing was a mistake. I am beginning to think it is a scam.

vinnyp
11/15/17

Quick home delivery of online grocery orders from local supermarkets and other related shops. Well.... Great concept, but totally inept and very poor execution!

I tried Instacart today for first time, for grocery deliveries from each of two supermarkets, and it was TERRIBLE!!

I live in a rural area, on a winding country road in a forested valley/canyon and both drivers got HOPELESSLY LOST (and one order was late), because the Instacart smartphone navigation system was totally incorrect regarding where it showed the location of my house. I wasted one hour standing in the cold outside, flagging drivers, and also guiding them by phone when they called to beg for help.

Instacart, please give your drivers nav systems that are accurate. My experience today with both of your drivers was a nightmare! You wasted an hour of my time.

There are also flaws with the catalog pages of products offered by supermarkets on the Instacart website, as most listings for grocery and produce items bear no photo at all, or worse, bear only a stock photo from a stock photo house, and the product descriptions (i.e., for cat litter, for fresh tomatoes, for organic fresh tomatoes( are terribly cryptic, sparse and lacking.

Worse, the ordering catalog pages also offer no feedback as to whether the product is in stock or out of stock. In my case, for my grocery orders from two supermarkets, it turned out that 40% of the items that I ordered were out of stock, and for one item, a box of high-end organic dark chocolate bars, the supermarket staff advised the shopper/driver that the product had been discontinued 18 months ago, a fact which the manufacturer of the product later confirmed to me! REALLY? Instacart, you really cannot do better than that?

Instacart also offered me free delivery on my first order as a first-time customer, and then after I placed the order, they went ahead and charged me $11 for delivery anyway; no free delivery! Amazing arrogance!

Instacart also needs to start employing, as drivers, only professional drivers who have been trained as professional drivers. Both of my delivery drivers today were totally inept and inexperienced urban/city young women who had no training in how to find addresses outside of cities, nor in how to figure out when your nav system is giving you totally incorrect information, and to realize that it might be time to trust the directions given by the customer, and to also read street addresses on the house that they are driving past.

One of my two drivers today was so badly misled by her Instacart-supplied nav system that she passed my house by 1.4 miles, and turned down an incredibly tiny, narrow and bumpy country dirt road, in an area here in the Appalachian mountains that is heavily infested with rattlesnakes and Eastern black bears, as well as home to hostile rednecks and moonshiners whose first reaction is to kill outsiders who wander down their dirt roads. She coulda gotten herself killed, all thanks to her Instacart nav system!

The sole positive thing about my experience today with Instacart was that both shoppers/drivers exercised great care and common sense in carrying out their supermarket shopping duties. But neither was a professionally-trained driver, and they allowed their nav systems, and ineptitude, to get them totally lost!

caran7
11/14/17

I bought a buy 1 get 1 and was substituted garbage and double charged. This is absolutely unacceptable.

zoer21
11/14/17

I'm terribly disappointed that I can't trust this service to charge me correctly, and their customer service is clueless and appalling. I was overcharged AFTER my delivery for amounts that they refuse to explain. When I called everyone I spoke to was unable to answer any simple and direct questions about the billing without putting me on hold to consult with someone else, and still could not answer directly. I gave up and tried email.

I had to send 8 emails exchanged with two different agents before someone grudgingly agreed to refund me an amount less than I was overcharged. I will consider myself lucky I'm getting anything back. It's too bad, my order was exactly what I asked for my shopper/driver could not have been nicer.

I won't use this service again.

jenniferc312
11/13/17

I was excited to see that Publix was bringing back delivery....but their partner in this endeavor is not up to par. There was about a 20% mark up on many of the items I ordered. Additionally, I had an introductory promo code for free delivery, but was still charged a 10% delivery fee and given tip guidelines (10, 15 or 20 %). Overall, I paid $35 more (on an order of $85) than I would have paid had I shopped at the store. I won't do this again.

matthewo24
11/12/17

I, like many other customers, was surprised to see that my publix receipt was 20% less than what I was charged by instacart. They do a terrible job being transparent about their price gouging. Burying that information in the FAQ borders on fraud. BOGO items show as BOGO on instacart's website but DO NOT get discounted. Apparently they must be identical flavors/items which is NOT explained. They also forgot 2 of my items. First time customer + 20 min phone call with customer service manager. We will see if I actually get refunded...

cecilr11
11/11/17

If only the shoppers were better trained and the customer service could handle the amount of business they have. It seems like there i an issue with every order I place, especially with Mariano's. Their apps are unreliable and the excuse I hear every time Have to call, which I do as a last resort, is "our apps are not working". Why is it that I see my order status on line and your shopper doesn't reply? Why is it that your shopper doesn't respond to messages, or that you don't name your shopper? I understand Jewel is developing their own shopping service and I'm there. Thanks for the memories, Instacart.

samt86
11/10/17

I wanted to give this delivery a try because of my disability issues and my relatives were currently unavailable. I was ready to give a $20 tip since it was my first time but it turns out this company is a complete waste and utterly disgusting. I wish I could give it zero stars honestly. I ordered groceries from my local store and everything went smooth until they began delivering my order. The female driver was a complete $#*! with no amount of respect whatsoever and lack of sense and sympathy. They cancelled my order due to impatience without even informing me with a call or text. Please everyone do yourself a favor before using this service.....don't. Just don't use it. It will add more years to your life, trust me.

johnm1216
11/10/17

Placed my first order and was quoted $68.12 for items I selected on the Costco portal. Delivery is late by several hours and several delivered items were incorrect. Come to learn that the items THEY substituted cost a ridiculous amount and I was charged $88.40 plus delivery charges which was suppose to be free with my first order. 3 weeks later, I noticed a charge on my credit card for $149 for an Instacart subscription which I never signed up for...now dealing with my credit card company. What a headache...this company is quite the scam!

erinw64
11/9/17

Instacart is a huge scam. They overcharge their customers on items that they are not receiving. I have now found 3 separate occasions, after only using the app 4 total times, where there are items on my receipt that were charged incorrectly. I have reached out numerous times over the past 3 weeks since then, and they have not responded, or resolved the issue. Ex: Cilantro, they charged me $25.99 when Cilantro at my local HEB is 40 cents. The avocado I purchased is normally 88 cents, they charged me $1.98 and the sweet potato I ordered is $1 normally, they charged me $3.98. These sound like small issues however, if they did that to me, how many customers are they doing it too. I not only researched the items they delivered to me by 1. bringing the item to the store itself, having them scan in the bar code, and physically tell me the real price, I also emailed the bar code to Instacart, while also including the correct price from the website, and still, they have done NOTHING. This is ILLEGAL, you cannot overcharge customers and not resolve the issue or even answer.

jamest249
11/7/17

Instacart def has a lot going wrong with their policies. But just FYI the shoppers are told to replace your items because insta wants the prices, the shoppers are told what to replace with and have no real say. When they want to check in with customers to okay it most dont respond (you need to be near your phone) or insta doesnt connect them properly.
Trust me the shoppers Work really hard and their tips are now just subtracted from hourly wage...they make hardly anything and are on call for 10-12 hours a day!!
Instacart has a service fee that you do not need to pay just waive and save !
The coupons online say 35$ minimum with first order so do that and youre fine!
Yes prices are inflated but you shouldnt have a store receipt that is against policy to pay for the company and your driver and shopper they need to make money so they inflate prices otherwise this service wouldnt make any money and wouldnt exist.
Customer service is rough talk to your shopper they can help a lot and if you at by your phone you can say no to items you dont want to replace with and add in items at any time during the shop/ you can text youthem shopper and even call them thit whole shop if you have questions Etc
Please understand the shoppers have a lot going on see Instacart lawsuit...they are working and truly unappreciated in every way

Instacart is a great idea and hopefully with the shoppers pushing for change it can become an amazing service ! And okay job

mikeb436
11/5/17

I've ordered from Instacart 8-9 times and have been very pleased. First, shoppers have been excellent. Bottom-line is if the shopper doesn't give a $#*! your order is going to be a mess. IMPORTANT: Your have option to to opt out of built in 10% charge before hitting purchase...this is an extra tip for shopper. Opt out on this and go over $35.00 and get free delivery. ALL GOOD. The other thing is all my orders have been between 8-15 items and that may play apart in the quality of service i've received.

kab72
11/3/17

I signed up for the one-year subscription service for unlimited delivery. I'm grateful I read a lot about tech news. Instacart started charging a feeI'm guessing it's a percentage of your total bill. There IS an opt-out option of paying the surcharge but you have to go through multiple clicks to remove the surcharge. That really irritates me. They make money on upping the price of the grocery items.

What's more, is that my order is wrong about 33% of the time and I have to Tweet @Instacart about an order problem. Tweeting negatively about Instacart is the only way to get reimbursed for missing items Instacart charged me for.

Needless to say, I will not be renewing my express membership

derrickt10
11/3/17

DO NOT USE THIS....InstaCart is a complete SCAM!So...thought I would try to use this new delivery service.....TERRIBLE. The delivery service was fine...but the prices charged for the groceries I bought were an absolute SCAM. Thought it would be great to catch the 'Midnight Madness Sale" last Friday and have the groceries delivered.....the .89 bag of Fritos were $4.50 ea. Unfortunately I ordered 2. So I spent $9.00 for 2 bags of Fritos. Chose several other "sale" items.....got charged full price. Called Grocery Store Manager and got a female Asst Manager. She was extremely rude and provided 0 customer service. Manager would not even speak with me on the phone. He said "We have nothing to do with that service"...according to the female Asst Manager and she said there is "nothing we can do". She took my name and number on Monday Oct 30th. Its Friday, November 2nd and I have yet to speak with anyone. InstaCart sent me an "I'm sorry" automated email. No refund...no coupon, no discount....nothing. I paid about $110.00 for $55.00 in groceries. I still have no understanding how an advertised "sale price", that is programmed into a register, rang my items up at an inflated cost because I used this "delivery service". "Free first delivery".....WRONG...charged me $8.99. This "service" is a scam and just inflates an already bloated grocery profit margin and disguises it as a service. There is NO recourse for overcharging on the consumer end. This Company will hopefully be Bankrupt soon before it screws more people out of money.

nicolef74
11/2/17

Their website claims "Free First Delivery" so I signed up. I did my shopping, and when I went to my cart, it said "Free First Delivery" It said nothing about a minimum anywhere I could see, nor did it ask me to add to my cart to qualify. I checked out, with the price reflecting the free delivery.
After that, I signed up for an Instacart express 14 day trial. I did see that Instacart Express has a $35 minimum for free delivery, but there was nothing indicating that for the "Free First Delivery".
Then they surreptitiously tacked on a $9.99 delivery fee, which I only saw when I opened the confirmation email and checked my order status.
Complete bait and switch.
When I called to find out why, they said it was because I was below the $35 minimum, but couldn't tell me where a $35 minimum is disclosed. I asked to cancel the order, and they instead deactivated my entire account, so then I had to make a new one, with a new email address, but can't re-sign up for the express trial, because it was already applied to the account they deactivated, and there is nothing they can do.
Then I find out they are playing games with worker pay.
They are liars and cheats to both their customers and their workers.
I hope they have a good competitor soon, because I will not use them again.

emilies2
11/1/17

I have been using InstatCart for many months but recently discovered that they were actually charging me for products that have not been delivered and even worst you cannot get their customer services to refund you adequately!!! First I had been charged for 2 pounds of manchego cheese while being only delivered 4 ounces, 1 pound of chicken while receiving 3 ounce, being charged for parma ham that was not delivered and then ...for 8 bottles of wine while delivering only one!?! Customer services only willing to refund for the price of 6 bottles but would still charge me for 1) taxes on the products that were not delivered 2) the price for all bottle deposit fees that were not delivered and of course 3) service fees! When trying to file a complain to their customer service department, they do not answer the phone and you will need to literally sent 10 emails for someone to respond to you, only to tell you that they " have been above and beyond" by refunding you $87 while they actually owe you $130, excuse me? This is absolutely unacceptable.

camillea5
11/1/17

My receipt was for $490 and they charged me $560. The delivery was free for first trip and I paid cash tip. They charged a $70 UNDISCLOSED FEE that they could not explain and refused to credit. I will put in dispute on my credit card but DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE.

maryannd10
10/31/17

I usually shop at my nearby best market. When I saw in their ad they partnered with instacart i figured I would try delivery. Ordered 15 items, respond was 9 items unavailable. Then, that I had insuficent funds. I knew there was enough to cover my order so I called instacart. They need to take more than authorized to cover replacement items. I hadn't gotten a message of what replacements were made, because they hadn't done that yet. They actually had overdrawn my account but I have that protection no harm. I told them to cancel the order and return the charge I did not authorize. They said 24 to 48 hours. I said supervisor aand fraud and got my money back right away. Got in my car went to my best market which they said they were shopping at and everything was in stock! My guess is they don't like sale items and half my items were from the weekly ad. Wasted too much time and effort.

tanias30
10/31/17

I've used instaCart 3 or 4 times and I will never use them again. The person that delivered my order brought the wrong items, forgot some items, and didn't speak English, so I couldn't communicate the problem to her. I immediately emailed Instacart and they replied saying they would correct the problem and redeliver at a time that was convenient for me. Instacart took it upon themselves to redeliver the order at 5:30pm the same day, after I left the office for the day (they were delivering to a place of business that closed at 5pm). Then they charged me a $15 cancellation fee because the office was closed when they decided to redeliver at a time that was convenient for them and wouldn't remove it after I called them. I asked to speak to a supervisor after I was told they wouldn't remove the fee and was left on hold. I had to hang up and even though they asked for my number at the beginning of the call (in case we get disconnected), they never called me back. I had to call back a few minutes later, spoke with a nice gentleman who put be on a brief hold and was able to rectify the problem and get me a refund. It took too much effort on my part to get a credit back for a mistake they made. Won't be using them again.

judyn31
10/30/17

When I first started using Instacart, I attributed the mistakes to the "growing pains" that a company could experience when entering a new market. But, after months and months, the shoppers are making the same stupid mistakes and continuing to ignore the requests the customer submits. In my last order, there was an item that I marked "no replacement option", "no substitutions"; the shopper ignored both and sent me a product that I would never buy, would never use. Now, unfortunately, stealing from customers has also become part of the Instacart experience. One item I ordered was included on the receipt but it never made it to my house. If the shopper "forgot' to give it to the driver, she should have credited the charge. If the driver "forgot" to deliver it, she should have called to make arrangements for the amount to be refunded.... if it was an honest mistake. Since the amount was not credited, nor a refund issued, I have to assume that one of them STOLE the item.
Now I am going to print out my receipt and take the time to review what was, or what was not delivered... how is this making my life easier?

theresar33
10/29/17

I love the service provided by the Instacart shoppers. I had a very good shopper who explained to me that they try to get exactly what is ordered. I was advised to stay near my computer and/or cell for messages regarding issues. She also told me that I can request no replacements if I only want a certain brand/flavor and/Or size of an item.

I was reading comments and want to mention to the customers that they can rate their delivery person. They are independent contractors and, for the most part, very good at what they do. As far as pricing please think about that. Instacart does not work for the store you purchase from. They train shoppers to go to the store and shop. Of course there is a surcharge on products - a mark up. The store has to be paid for all the products and Instacart needs to pay their contractors, employees and any necessary overhead. You always pay for convenience.

Instacart has several stores on its service...depending on the area you live in. In some areas, it has liquor stores like ABC Wines and for a separate service fee, they will send you what you want.

By gail s.

Instacart does not give you the sale prices from the store. So if the peanut butter is 3.50 on sale. Instacart will charge you 4.80 regular price. Their prices are all over the board but on average you are paying 20% more.

By Vero v.

Your driver and shopper have no info on how much instacart charges you and cannot get you any cash back. Thats what banks are for.

By lisset l.

Not very friendly Company. We went to the interview all the way to the chicago loop a 45 mi minute drive and a young male from Arab countries ask if he could charge his phone. Instacart male employee said "you should have come with a fully charged phone" well yes excerpt that we were using our phones to drive to chicago and that used the battery. Instacart eliminated this Arab young male. Which was nice and kind. Not cut through like some of the shoppers I have meet so far. Ugggg

By Vero v.

Questions? Get answers from the Instacart staff and other customers.

Instacart?