US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

christaw
1/19/17

First time on the site browsed and set up my account. As soon as I put my debit card in they charged me $149 without me purchasing anything. I called and the customer service worker said someone used your card and I need to contact my bank to get my money back. I asked was there a delivery? She said no. I said was there a subscription purchased? She said no. So I asked why can't you reverse your charge? And she repeated for me to contact my bank. Unprofessional thieves.

eunicea4
1/10/17

We ordered Horizon Organic Vanilla 10carts of 8 milk boxes on Whole Food Market website, the package was delivered on Thursday (01/5/17) around 7:00pm. We opened the bags and found out that the expiry date was within two to three months and we needed longer expiry date so we packed quickly and drove to Whole Food Market to return just to be told we have to contact INSTACART. We contact them that's when all lies after lies ,promise to take back the items ends up our request was denied. We've never seen a most dishonest company and terrible customer service, each one telling us different story. INSTACART CO. deserve zero rating due to the way they rip customer , if we've bought these items from Whole Food store we wouldn't had this problem of returning them. Just to be sure on Whole Food website INSTACART does not state that no returns!!! Please do yourself a favor stay away this company INSTACART.
Eunice A.
Summit -NJ

stacir2
1/3/17

Only delivered 1 of my items.They had to replace everything cause they said the store did not have it in stock. Lies. In any case only got the water i ordered and it was not delivered upstairs. They are a dishonest company.

shauntas
12/29/16

From the moment I started my order online there were nothing but problems. The coupon I was trying to use whose expiration date wasn't until days later was showing as expired. Called, got it handled. Next, everytime I placed a discounted item in my cart when I went back to my cart the price had changed. It did this no exaggerating 10x's, spent about an hour on it. Next the store, if they are out of an item it is at the shoppers discretion what it's replaced with & they were ALLLLLLLL the way off twice! Then I get the groceries and the price you're charged is different (higher) than what is in front of you. No bueno. So you call customer happiness expert who isnt happy at all & tell them the issue. They offer an instacart credit. I think not, after the experience I just had I am sticking with Wal-Mart. Nothing but pleasant experiences with them. They did credit back my card when I made it clear I would never use their service again. So not worth the headache. On the bright side, my shopper was a sweetheart. But i still have to go grocery shopping when i was hoping this would cover it. I saved neither time nor money

alidam1
12/28/16

My experience with Instacart is through Petco where I do a large monthly order. I am aan older woman dealing with stairs and heavy products like cases of wet food, litter, etc, meaning I always ask for delivery as can't do all that lifting myself.
Instacart doesn't match the customer with a store in their area, offers coupons in the on-line order form that are sold out at the store they go to, make substitutions at will that don't reflect either what is ordered or the coupon savings, and think they can get away with delivering partial orders at higher cost than what was ordered, necessitating reordering and paying again for delivery which includes the "Shopper", their service charge and a tip...on the average over $40!. When Petco offered in-store delivery it was at a flat fee of $12. You loaded your cart with what you wanted, paid for it plus delivery and got it within hrs and paid a tip...$17.
No Thank you!

deels
12/22/16

So I had my very first experience with Instacart was great and decided to order a second time. The second time they rescheduled my order last minute to a later time and which I was unavailable. I had to cancel. I thought, whatever it happens! Third time I place my order before I left for work at 7:30 in the morning and had it scheduled to be delivered between 7 PM and 8 PM at night. 8:30 PM rolls around and I called customer service to see if it was still coming. The rep told me my order was unbatchable, which apparently means there were no shoppers in my area, yet I received confirmation that my order had been received and I did not receive any notifications that they were not able to do it or had to reschedule. Offered me a five dollar credit. Thanks? Not to mention their app is poorly made. It's like they know they're terrible because there's nowhere on the app you could get in touch with a live agent. Great job Instacart for making people's lives more convenient this is the service that you provide yet you do the complete opposite of that.

andrews239
12/16/16

I used them in Georgia to buy from Costco. Their service and convenience was 5 stars but when I compared the prices I paid through instacart to the store prices I was not happy about it. I paid $165 for $132 in groceries and that did not include my tip for the driver. That's about 25% more which defeats the purpose of shopping at Costco but it was definitely convenient for a single dad! I did read that some stores have in store prices so that might help.

nicolet112
12/16/16

It's convenient to order from instacart and has an easy to use UI. However, I was brought in by the shiny offer of $10 and free delivery. When I went to use the coupon it took off the $10 then when I went to check out told me that my delivery had expired! Then it prompted me to select delivery options which was -- guess what , $10. So, basically tricked me by giving me one and not the other. They're not all bad, but unless it's far/inconvenient, I'd recommend you do your own shopping.

galinas4
12/7/16

Instacart managers discriminate. I experienced intolerable harassment and stalking at work. Setups were at the stores where I shopped and also at the addresses where I delivered groceries. Instacart managers brought their own customers to stores and did setups. They cursed and called me names in stores where I shopped. Also, after the delivery of groceries they followed me in their cars to intimidate me. This company need to be sued and be closed since it violates shoppers' rights.

clintonw14
11/28/16

I mean... I don't know where to start. Terrible customer service. They lost my delivery and wanted ME to get online and re-order it, delivery fee included. Oh but wait they were going to give me a $5 discount. I'm sorry, I just paid $60 and you want me to RE-ORDER this because the delivery driver never showed?????? How insane is that?

meredithd1
11/27/16

I really depend on grocery delivery services, as I live in an area without a convenient grocery store. I use Peapod (not same-day, and for some reason, has very little fresh meat or seafood), Amazon Prime Now (shops at only one grocery store in my city, and the software is very inflexible), and Instacart. I use Instacart the most, even though, in many ways, it's the worst of the three services. I like that I have my pick of six or so stores, but the accuracy of the shoppers is VERY poor. One problem is that, unlike Peapod, they have a poor catalog system (plus, the catalogs of the stores that you can choose from vary in completeness and accuracy). If you click on "baby back ribs," as I did recently, with a photo of a slab of ribs, you may or may not get what is pictured (one time, I got a small slab of plastic-packed ribs, another time I got short ribs of beef!). In the case of Peapod, what you see is what you get. I'm sure the software is correlated to a bar code, which then appears on the item on the shelf. With Instacart, the photo bears no relation to anything (I just saw a listing for ground beef that had a photo of a jug of orange juice!), so interpreting the request for an item is up to the shoppers, who are no doubt very rushed, and often don't know anything about food (one young man didn't know there was a difference between an"eating" and a "juice" orange).

The good thing is that customer service is very responsive, and when the shopper messes up, they'll rush a replacement within an hour, and give even you a credit off your next delivery (though you usually have to ask for that).

jillh53
11/17/16

I tried this once and it wasn't a great experience, but it was a new service and I love the convenience of it, so I thought I'd try again. Here's the issue - the Instacart website/app does not have real-time information on what's in stock in their stores. Unlike Peapod, RocheBros, and other grocery store driven apps. So you're shopping, creating your basket and place your order, expecting it's a done deal and you'll go back to work and have your groceries delivered later that day when you're done working. Well, what happens? You get 3450301 text messages letting you know almost everything is out of stock and they offer replacements. Sometimes good replacements, sometimes awful. You can keep trying new substitutions, if you have time to constantly log in and update/verify. In the end, you get about 30% of what you actually ordered. I don't know if it's the shopper's lack of interest in looking through the stores' products, or if the stores really are out of all the things Instacart lists on the website. Either way - I have to spend time and more money to go to a regular grocery store to fill in the gaps of what's missing. It is not a time saver and you're spending money for delivery fees, service charges and tip, so it ends up costing WAY too much for very poor service overall. I tried twice at home (once at the office) and I'm officially done. I liked the idea of having a variety of stores to choose from, but this just doesn't work. I'm going to stick with Peapod.

Tip for consumers: If you don't care about what groceries you get, then this is for you. If you have time to respond to rapid-fire text messages with product changes - you'll love it. Otherwise, skip it.

tonyt66
11/17/16

Don't order eggs. Evidently the shoppers don't checked for cracked eggs. Ad says prices are same as store prices. Not true. When I asked why I'm being charged more than what the receipt shows, they admitted there is a markup on store prices. Instead of offering me a refund for items I did not receive but was charged for, they gave me a credit for future purchases which does me no good because I don't plan on using this service again.

erinj23
11/14/16

Showed up 3 hours after the "latest" window waking up my kids. I got no updates about status. When I called customer service they offered me a credit for a future order. Really disappointed because I liked the idea of this service.

valerieb44
11/14/16

I'm visiting my out of town boyfriend and I don't have a car. I needed to do some grocery shopping because our diets are different. I decided to Google grocery delivery and found this. They honored my coupon, I got the $10 off and free delivery, Maria substituted two out of stock items very appropriately and I was given the choice to approve, choose another item or cancel. Delivery was scheduled for 10 - 11 a.m., and she was at my doorstep at 10:25. She was very friendly.
The only thing I wish I'd done was notice which stores offered the in-store price; the store I chose had quite a mark up. I know for next time, though, and depending on delivery cost would definitely use again in my home town of Atlanta. Hopefully the service will be as good there.

Tip for consumers: Check store prices. Some stores raise their prices when using this service

alexc158
11/7/16

We decided to try out instacart to prepare for a busy week. Almost half of our Central Market order was incorrect. After talking with Elizabeth, Aaron, and David in customer service for over 30 minutes, they refused to issue me a full refund, even after admitting they provide a full delivery service and "dropped the ball" on my order. I will not be using this service in the future.

markm306
11/2/16

How this company can rip off customers while screwing the people that do the work is beyond me. No security, no safety, no employees. Save your money and stay safe, these people are bad news.

aimeer5
10/15/16

Total scam! I never even double checked my receipts on about 12 of my orders and the one I actually did I noticed I was overcharged $12 on a $35 bill! Customer service told me there was nothing they could do, I am so disgusted. DO NOT USE!!! Buyer BEWARE!!

nikkia13
10/9/16

I have now used three times, twice from fairway and once from Costco. Each time has been awesome so I was so surprised to read the reviews. Great communication during shopping and good selection of replacement items, very pleased.

marlenet3
10/3/16

They hire they don't have any job for you and I work one day and I only ask for sun and Monday that was a task for them so I send them a Tex to see why I chose those they and they had no opens so the send me back a Tex I was no longer needed wow just like that they very unreliable so good luck I see all their bad reports I wonder why no organization that why

ronniel11
9/17/16

I had surgery. Used Instacart once to deliver groceries. There were errors made on the delivery, but worse than that, I found a $149 charge pending on my credit card. It had nothing to do with the groceries - I had already been charged for those earlier. When I finally reached them they said it was a "Membership" charge!! I NEVER agreed to any membership and it was not mentioned on their website. They eventually removed the charge. Please don't use Instacart unless you are desperate. Peapod worked very well for me. :-)

elis738
9/10/16

Sometimes after waiting for deliveries they just don't show and by the time I figure out they aren't coming the store is closed.. good idea but VERY poor execution

tomd107
9/6/16

I ordered $110 worth of goods from the grocery store. Their shopper was too lazy to look for the goods ( I later had to go to the store and found them myself). They ended up charging me over $17 in fees for $15 in product. Their solution was that they would waive $6 of the fee the next time I ordered. This whole business and everybody there is lazy and shady!!!!!

azareal
8/15/16

Beware of instacart's deceptive marketing tactics. They lure you in with a free first delivery. After placing my order, I saw that they charged $11.99 for delivery. When I called their customer service, after a long hold, the "happiness" team member finally agreed to remove the charge, like he was doing me a favor. Also, they would not honor a $10 coupon for my first time order, saying there were restrictions that were not listed in any of their marketing emails, or during checkout. Why would the shopping cart allow me to use the coupon code and not honor it after I place my order, and after my card has already been charged? Shady practices. Stay away from instacart, or be prepared for a losing fight with their "happiness" team.

laurah134
8/12/16

I went on line to order from Instacart for the first time. The food was from Costco.
They put a big surcharge on top of the price.

1.The site said my order would be delivered with 2 hours, but when I checked out, it said it could only be delivered the next day between 1 and 3.

2. I stayed home to receive the order, but at 1:15 I got an email saying my order would be now be delivered between 3:15 - 3:45

3. After emailing them that this was a bad experience for a first time order, I got another email saying it would be delivered by 3 plus a 5.00 credit on my next order and free delivery next time.

4. At 4:00 when I had STILL not recieved my groceries, I got a 10.00 credit on my next order.

5. I then got an email saying my order had been delivered.

6. It had NOT been delivered.
Then I called. I waited 20 minutes to finally speak to two people on the "happiness team".

7. My order arrived at 4:30.
All of the food was hot - including 4 flank steaks which I would not risk eating.
It was close to 100 degrees outside and they had been in it for several hours - AND although Instacart says they will be kept cold, they were not.

8. I finally got a supervisor (Crystal) who agreed to credit me the amount for the meat on this order. $140.19.

9. Afterwards I looked at my bill again, and realized that they had OVERCHARGED me 96.42 - the bill said I had 14.32 lbs., when I only ordered - and recieved 5.5 lbs!

Next time I will go directly to Costco. It would have taken me less than half the time, all the aggravation - and cost much less.

4 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Instacart staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question