US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

edwardc70

However, Instacart has terrible customer service, unlike Peapod and other food delivery services. (in 12 reviews)

juliab64

I received a text saying that my order had been adjusted (uh oh!) and the shopper would call me. (in 27 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

priyar11
7/20/16

Horrible Instacart service .. I order 12lb puppy food through INSTACART PETCO and instead they delivered 4lb and still managed to charge me $38.99.. I'm on phone with Customer Service for almost 45mins and they still had the audacity to charge me for what's been delivered and reimburse me the rest..
Buying in bulk is a lot cheaper but hey Instacart you are a bully for charging me more for 4lb and refusing to take the order back and reimburse what you decided is fair.. Hey Instacart, I am guessing you were that bully in school who stole Lunch money from other Kids.. Go to hell.. I would give 0ratimg or minus 1000 but I didn't have an option

margaretr49
7/17/16

There were problems with my recent order all throughout. The shopper kept getting things I hadn't ordered, which I declined. Ok fine. Things happen. However, I ordered, and paid for several organic produce items, but when I unpacked my order, after the delivery/shopper left in a hurry, I found non- organic vegetables had been delivered. I tried getting through to management about the issue, but haven't received a text regarding it, much less phone call. This company charges more than the store for items to begin with, but to pay for items you didn't receive is really the last straw.

joannat13
7/15/16

It's a great concept and access to Whole Foods is a plus. (BTW, Whole Foods is an investor in Instacart.) However:
Shoppers don't have sufficient knowledge of food products
Produce arrives bruised
Inventory is poorly managed; half the items aren't available, nor are the alternative choices you make
Shoppers scold customers for not writing copious notes
Personal shoppers are timed and therefore make mistakes and have attitude problems
You think you're tipping the personal shopper but s/he gets only 20% of the tip
The up charge on products is ridiculous
Personal shoppers select product with fast approaching sell by date
I suspect personal shoppers are told to supply your alternative choices when that item is more expensive than your first choice

Instacart has a long way to go in order to satisfy its customers. In a pinch? Maybe. Regularly? Absolutely not!

Use Fresh Direct. Great customer service and good produce choices. Deli cheese and salumi are sliced thin or thick and meat/poultry can be vacuumed packed for you at no charge.

madelynk
6/30/16

Very disappointing - they would not honor a promo code because my new roommate had used the code 6 months ago at a different address. They also messed up my order & I ended up having to run to the store anyway. I tried speaking to customer service and just gave me the run around. Would not recommend.

christianl43
6/22/16

I've used instacart twice and both times my order has been wrong. I'm not sure how this business even operates under such poor and helpless employees. After they offered me a 5 dollar coupon I explained how insulting it was that they thought 5 dollars would compensate me for having to spend my entire night waiting around for my driver to return with my correct order. Never use this service they should be out of business shortly anyway.

derikv
5/31/16

Was with my friend Memorial Day Monday. We were without a car so my buddy called to place a food order around 12 noon for an early evening delivery. They missed the 6 o'clock delivery, called to say they'd be there around 8p. They then missed the 8 o'clock delivery and called yet again to say they'd be there between 10 and 11. They again missed the delivery time and called again to say they'd be there between 11 and 12. You can guess what happened then. The delivery never arrived, and no call offering up any wxplanation nor to apologize to my friend. Unbelievable and inexcusable! Having never tried them myself I sure as heck will think long and hard before I ever call them. I'd rather go to Ralph's or Wholefoods myself that way I know the food will arrive. Truly pathetic!

suzannem44
5/27/16

Several of my deliveries have had missing/wrong items. I get that this happens...but it is a lot. Today was the last straw. I ordered 23 items, and received about 15 of them. I asked for the remaining items to be delivered (or as they say..."redelivered" LMAO). They screwed that up too, missing 5 items. They then said that they couldn't deliver to me within the next 2 hours...when would I like a "RE"delivery? I told them to chuck it, and reimburse me for the items I had now been waiting 4 hours for. Their remedy? Free delivery on my next order! WooHoo! Obviously there will be no next order.

juliab64
5/20/16

Seeing these reviews and the lack of info on their site before I registered, I hesitated to use Instacart, but my back was acting up and I didn't want to haul groceries from Whole Foods.
I used Instacart through the Whole Foods site and it worked well. I went to the Whole Foods site and clicked on delivery. I registered there and was able to find what I needed. This included packages of different pieces of chicken, and I was able to enter notes describing what I needed.
I received a text saying that my order had been adjusted (uh oh!) and the shopper would call me. He did and he was smart and articulate. No trouble understanding my order. He said they didn't have one of my items. It wasn't urgent, so I told him to forget it. He verified the size and cuts of the packages of chicken - he had gotten it right! I was happy and impressed.
Later I received a text saying my order would be delivered about 7:15. The driver actually came earlier. Even better!
I had been a little concerned about the raw chicken, but they had it in the fridge until delivery. Awesome!
This was the first time I ever had groceries delivered, and it was excellent. :)

Tip for consumers: The reviews here are not great, but I had a good experience going through the store's web site. That might be a better way to use Instacart.

edwardc70
5/20/16

I have no problem paying more for groceries through Instacart. For me, it is very valuable to have groceries delivered to my home. However, Instacart has terrible customer service, unlike Peapod and other food delivery services. If you have any problem with an order they make it very difficult to get "live" help.

They also do a terrible job of updating their site with the current inventory from the stores. I order items on the site, only to be told by my shopper that the items haven't been sold by the store for more than six months. It's a total waste of time to develop a $400 order from Costco only to discover - in a call from your shopper - that more than half of the items are unavailable! Ridiculous!

Get competent Instacart.

shelleyc22
5/15/16

I was excited to find that Instacart would shop at my favorite local grocery stores however, the uplift they charge on items is atrocious. I pay in store $3.99 for juice and Instacart charged $7.49. Beets were on sale in store for $1.99/bunch (normally $2.99) and Instacart charged $9.29! I will not be placing any orders with them.

lorraineh14
5/13/16

I had no issues with Instacart UNTIL I built my order on a store (where I normally have Instacart shop for me) sale brochure I received in my inbox. Some of the sale prices were amazing, i.e., 18 large eggs for $0.85 and Polish Ham @ $3 lbs. among others. When I unpacked my delivered order I saw that the discount had been applied to the items instore, however, Instacart charged me the FULL price without discount. I inquired and was told "Currently we are unable to honor in-store sales or promotions at this time." So although Instacart received the nearly $15 in promotional discounts they were unable to pass on that savings to me the hapless customer. Seems like that would not be a difficult technological hurdle to overcome in this point and click world.

mariag114
5/1/16

On an order with 21 items, 9 of them were not available! I wouldn't have wanted to pay $7.99 delivery for just 11 items! Also, if a sale item is not available, they should replace it for the same price!! I'll think I will go back to shopping myself.

michellea81
4/24/16

Instacart SUCKS!!! It is very easy to make replacements and buy with someone else's money!!. You guys need to verify with your client before making the replacement. If I don't respond the first time . CALL AGAIN!!!!!!! Granted. I responded 20 min later but still you need to verify with the client before using their money to buy whatever you feel is the best replacement option!! Now I have to go back to Whole Foods to return the freaking order!! money wasted!! would never do this again!!

donnab115
4/17/16

When I started using Instacart, I was all about it. They sucked at dealing with replacements pretty bad, but that was just a minor annoyance. It was still so convenient. I payed about $100 for a 1 year membership, if I remember correctly. The price was well worth it to have my groceries delivered in just 2 hours! But now I guess they are so busy that it takes an entire day. Every time I log in to place an order, the delivery time is 11 hours or more, so I just go my groceries myself. My membership is completely worthless to me now. I will not be renewing.

jt85
4/6/16

I began using Instacartin June 2015. I selected a specific WF store for my orders. In Jube service was good but beginning in July service was spotty and many items O ordered were not available. Now that I am settled into my apt, my grocery shopping was switched to a different WF, without telling me. Overall, there is poor response time to customers. And the company doesn't want you to call no matter what happened. Also, the up charge is exorbitant on many products and your CC will be charged 10-15% over the actual amount and then adjusted 5 days later. My advice is find another service. In big cities there are alternatives. This company has a lot of kinks to work before it delivers better service.

keontel
3/17/16

I am beyond beyond disappointed in this company. By far on of the worst experiences I have had. It's started out great! No complaints and it was good extra money, between $400-$600 a week. However, everything went wrong about a week ago. I received a delivery only order. Now mind you, when they changed the delivery fee to $1 I asked to be switched to a shopper only but didn't receive a response. Reason being. They have a bad habit of sending you wayyyy outside of your zone despite the fact the team lead in orientation said we would be delivering no more than 15mins from the store we shop at. That was a bold face lie! I was also told I would receive an hourly minimum of $10 hour to compensate for the time spent without an order, another lie! The hourly minimum is only for the first 20 orders. Back to the matter at hand. A week ago I received a delivery only order. I get to the store and half the order has to be redone because all of the frozen stuff had melted. The previous InstaCart member had spent over an hour and fortyfive minutes trying to deliver the order. I get all 11 bags to the customer only to see for myself that there was no parking and the customer was requesting that I park in a tow-away zone were tow trucks were sitting and waiting for unattended cars because according to the tow truck driver it had become a major problem so they were really enforcing the ticket and toe policy that clearly marked by dc government signs. So I call shopper happiness and explain all of this to them. Now I've dealt with them before so I am fully aware of the unprofessionalism. They are the worst group of reps I've ever dealt with and I have been in the customer service field for over 11 years with insurance billing which everyone knows can be terrible. Shopper Happiness is full of disrespectful, snobbish attitudes but I called them anyway because I really didn't have any other options just like the member before me. The first rep said "oh well" and hung up on me. The second rep told me to end my shift and take the reliability issue. The third rep (that was supposed to be a supervisor" told me to take the chance of my car getting towed (no they were not going to reimburse me) or end my shift and she would make sure I got a reliability issue. I told her I would deliver it but the customer would have to come down so I wouldn't have to leave my car. Her response "we offer door to door service, I'm sure that was explained to you in orientation". So I did the most logical thing, I ended my shift and provided a detailed explicit for my team lead. No less that 5 minutes later I received a call stating that my shift was going to be ended because I cursed at a shopper hapless rep. THAT NEVER HAPPENED!!! I never said one profain word to any of the reps I spoke to. I told him this and he told me he was going to disable my account, pull the calls and investigate further. Welp, that never happened! I sent him text, no response. Left him voicemails, no response. Send emails to shopper happiness, no response. I was finally able to obtain an email for "upper management" because of course they don't have a number to call. It took "upper management" two days to respond and once they did it was just a generic message that stated that my account was disabled due to a customer incident. What customer incident??? I didn't have a completed order that day to have a customer incident and the customer in question was very understanding of the situation. According to the "city lead" my account was deactivated due to me using profanity. A prime example that the call wasn't pulled and my email weren't reviewed! I asked them to pull that calls again and three days later I get an email from the city leads "supervisor" stating my account would be deactivated today because I refused to do delivery only orders. Again that wasn't the case and that was yet another LIE!!! So when hoodrats and hoodlums deliver your orders you have every right to complain and please do. They are finding every way possible to replace the loyal manner with newer, younger members. Wayyyyy to many new people and they are not being monitored. They are kicking the good people out and cutting their order. Just order somewhere else, trust me! They over charge customers on everything anyway and they allow us to use coupons but charge you more than the regular price just an FYI! They'll be gone soon!

mrsn2
3/9/16

I don't dislike grocery shopping but am super busy and have 3 kids so I am thrilled about being able to cross it off my list! This review is for the SF bay area - there seem to be large regional differences in how things are run, but I'm a super-happy customer. Tips:

1- only shop where they say the prices are the same as in-store. I shop Whole Foods and Target and am very satisfied about how I can check out with everything I need without overspending. You can easily shop all the sales and avoid impulse buys. I completely avoid the stores with higher prices - there's just no reason to overspend and the difference can be significant.

2- be specific about what you want and your replacements. Leave notes if there's something specific you want or don't want.

3- Choose your communication method - I like to be texted re: replacements. They are generally very helpful shoppers.

4- I use it as my shopping list, dropping items in the cart over a few days so I won't forget.

5- I sometimes order ahead - on my lunch to get dinner groceries or on Saturday evening for Sunday morning breakfast. There are busy times so don't always count on the 2-hr window as time slots sometimes get booked.

6- look at the size of what you want in the description, don't rely on the picture. Occasionally the picture is of the wrong size item.

7- If you don't like something, you can easily shoot a message through their site and they are very good about issuing refunds or credits. Its been a while since I had any issue, but I do think as a company they have good customer service.

I've had a few mistakes (like ordering 1 mushroom or way too many carrots), but I've now learned the system to where I feel like I have my own personal assistant. Wish I could get this kind of help with my other chores!!

jayk55
3/3/16

Managed by 20-something bar floozies which is 1/2 their problem (I saw a Twitter post of one). You'll wind up shopping/delivering not necessarily groceries but bulk cargo in your own vehicle for $5 and a tip if you get lucky.

The average customer in Chicago orders multiple 24 roll packs of toilet paper, beer for the year and 5 cases of Ice Mountain water to be delivered to a 35th floor with no parking area (bring lotsa quarters and budget for tickets and maybe even towing). I had to cancel a delivery order from Costco because I wasn't about to break the struts in my newer passenger vehicle (you get like $7 for Costco orders). Promised tips would be split between the actual shopper and driver for the Costco orders and never saw a nickel. The service is abused and the workers are exploited.

gwendolynk2
2/29/16

I have used Instacart a LOT now. More than 30 times (evidently I am a glutton for punishment or actually crazy expecting the service to miraculously improve somehow). Save yourself. Just go to the damn store, you'll be happier in the long run.

When I first used Instacart, the shoppers were fairly good about communicating changes. My orders were pretty solid. To be fair, I have had one or two shoppers in my long history who were pretty awesome. Apparently they have left, because the shoppers that work now either can't or don't read. Almost every order I have placed as of late has had MAJOR problems (like replacing $8 almond butter with a $27 brand. And yes, I was clear about not wanting to spend more than $8). I order 1/2 pound of lunch meat and end up with 2 pounds, $20 later. Oh - and you want to actually RECEIVE the things you order? Pish-posh! Instacart will charge you for items that don't get delivered. Almost every order is missing something. Even though I am very, very specific about what I want (or don't want), shoppers somehow manage to mangle my orders. Although the shoppers are supposed to offer replacement options, they rarely do. THIS SERVICE IS TERRIBLE.

SAVE YOURSELF.

len1558
2/9/16

I purchased for the first time on Instacart and got charged over $89.05 for $63 worth of groceries. I asked customer service for a refund and instead received ONLY $15 worth of store credit towards a future purchase. Furthermore, the total amount that as charged to my credit card ended up being $90. Instacart feels like a complete scam. I will never recommend it to anyone nor will I ever be using it again myself.

leahs25
2/3/16

Worst service in the world! No delivery. Stolen money. Reporting to the FTC.

judir8
1/31/16

I had been using Instacart for months and been moderately happy. Why I felt it was rather expensive, clearly the convenience of having someone do the shopping locally was a boon. Also, in the past, I found my shoppers to be excellent. Very aware of changes, very accommodating and following Instacart's promise of contacting the buyer and making sure any replacements were ok. That's what one is tipping 20% for, no? My penultimate order was already a little shaky. The shopper was trying to buy something completely different from what was on my list (ground pork) and which I knew they had at Fairway. There were replacements for "duh" items that I knew they had in the store. And then came yesterday. The shopper, Joy W., half did my order. She didn't do any of the listed replacements, claiming that a bag of popcorn couldn't be replaced (uh huh). She did the same with four other items on a ten item list. She then presented the changes as a fait accompli and when asked to actually replace items, she LIED- yes, lied- and said she was handling it and did not. After she hadn't gotten back to me, I inquired as to what was going on. She first ignored me, and then proceeded to inform me in all caps that she was done with my order. I finally blew and used profanity. Sorry- not good. But in the course of the discourse pretty understandable, and was at home sick and with a sick kid. The upshot- Jen W. in customer service suspended my account, ignored all of my questions, and had to be engaged via email to even deal with any of my concerns. While there is a 1800 number that you can call and the customer service people are lovely, apparently this Jen. W. can make arbitrary decisions, ignore customers, and lie on behalf of employees. The kicker? I can't review Joy for her bad service. Every time I try to click on submit nothing happens. Nice job controlling your ratings, Instacart. The basic line- NOT WORTH THE MONEY. USE FRESHDIRECT. Fresh direct has awesome customer service and amazing workers. Instacart blows.

veronicas40
1/5/16

First two services, incredible...I was amazed with service and how fast the delivery was... I was even promoting Instacart around my neighborhood...
Last two deliveries, awful... Grapes in very bad shape, soggy spinach and broken eggs...
I even specified by text and by phone that if vegetables or fruits where not in optimum shape, not to buy them... What a pity ...

elisae1
1/5/16

I signed up for Instacart because it said they would deliver in 1 hour, once I signed up, I was then offered a 2-3 hour delivery, now today I ordered at 3:36 and my delivery is set between 8-9. Wow! Now that's 4 1/2- 5 1/2 hours. This company sucks you into being a member and then does not "deliver" what they promised. I hope this company goes under because they are a bunch of liars!

jeannes11
12/27/15

The Instacart idea is a great one. Too bad the company doesn't take the work seriously. The problem with Instacart is that you can never, ever rely on getting specific groceries so if you're planning on making anything in particular you're better off going to the store yourself. There is a section of the online form that contains the customer's phone number and there's the promise that employees will call you to discuss replacement items. This has happened once to me. Every other time I either didn't receive a call or was told that they had tried to contact me but couldn't get in touch. When I told them about this problem they told me they would get to the bottom of this "miscommunication". Today I placed an order and they couldn't come up with cucumbers, pears, red bell peppers or grape tomatoes. This order was supposed to come from Fairway and I'm sure if I went there now I'd be able to get those things. Instacart gives you the option of helping to pay their employees' salaries by letting you check off what percentage of your bill you would like to tip them and when you say you'll tip later there's a huge reminder on your receipt that you didn't tip.

2 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Instacart staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
5/4/15
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Questions? Get answers from the Instacart staff and other customers.

Instacart?