US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

valeriep37
2/27/17

It took my shopper 1 hour to get my groceries to me and I live 5 miles from Publix. She wouldn't call me or text me. I could see her driving around on the GPS and was so frustrated because I couldn't contact her. It was my first and last experience with Instacart. My shopper just pulled over to the side of the road for 30 minutes and sat there, I was so frustrated and mad. Then when she FINALLY arrived she wasn't physically fit to climb the stairs and my neighbor had to help her bring my groceries up. My milk and eggs had been in her trunk the entire time. :/

nathalia7
2/22/17

I got charged $149 for a membership when I opted for a FREE 14 day trial. Yes, beware. I've used this service a lot in the past I was never fully satisfied but I saved me the trip to the super market. Today it was my last try.

juanitah11
2/19/17

You never know if you'll get a good / bad shopper and possibly all of the products. MOST importantly they add a Service Fee of 10 %... this is separate from a Tip! When I noticed it on my final receipt and called, they said that this is to pay the drivers. Why do I have to pay your employees? If I get good service, I would pay a Tip. This is not ethical in my opinion. True--- I should have noticed it upon check out, you can "waive it" and take it off... but when you're moving fast and selected your delivery time fee, your not thinking that there are additional hidden fees.
Instacart doesnt share their company profits with me, so why should I pay for their drivers or any of your employees! If i get good service, I will gladly pay a good tip... Period. Shame on you! I won't be using the service again.

hsiuc
2/17/17

I am very disappointed with how dishonest this $2 billion company is. When I research more it turns out this company treats its worker badly and often decrease the wage of its front low worker who actually does most of the labor. I have firsthand experience on how bad the customer service is. I have a home in Boston Area. The boss Bear booked the room for his worker Daniel via Airbnb. After the rental period expired, Bear stopped communication. I later found out he had terminated his relationship with Daniel. He never communicated anything.

In January 2017, Daniel kept begging me to let him stay and he will get a co-worker to come and rent out more space. He ended up leaving in the middle of the night after 21 days. He owns me one month rent worth $1150.

InstaCart have not taken any responsibility. Do NOT deal with this company, it is unreliable and untruthful.

Tip for consumers: Do not use it.

myrlandes
2/11/17

I started working for this company a few months as a part-time to help pay for college tuition. At first I thought you can pick up own hours it's fantastic easy I have great customer service perfect match. After a few weeks their apps start kicking me off shift for various reasons -not accepting an order within time, they have me driving 30 miles for $8.00 I got stuck in traffic I was penalized. Their apps is the worst cannot indentify customer requests. Management is the worst if you can't pick up more hours since they are using your car to make a profit -you are screw they will find ways to get rid of you with reliability treats. You become a slave they will send you places or locations no parking in downtown you will endure tickets. They don't care about you the customer or employees. I did a great job shopping for my customers at end they terminated my account because they couldn't use me or my car they eager to advertise delivery within an 1 hour not true. They have no drivers to pick up those orders.

katherined25
2/8/17

They charge a service fee which does not go to the driver directly, which looks like a tip that is not a tip. To tip drivers, you need to go specifically and click on service fee, change it, and tip the driver. Additionally, there are frequent errors in shopping as well as order "rescheduling" at the last minute. They advertise same day delivery and have you schedule times, however they often can not find a driver. You can order 6 hours in advance and be notified during or after your order was supposed to arrive that it can't be delivered, and you are given no recourse. For those who are homebound and/or are counting on this service, it is a huge problem. When we called to speak with customer service you could hear them smirking as they pretended to care that they messed up.

ald419
2/7/17

you will deal with unprofessional "shopers" who would mess up delivery and will bother you with endless calls. If you will decide to call customer service - do not be surprised: they hide a telephone number, would promise to resolve the issue and you would get nothing but endless emails with empty promises. TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

kristinal17
1/29/17

I recently used instacart for a couple of weeks after spraining my ankle. I did about three or four orders and there was an expired item in every single order. I got expired lettuce twice, a loaf of bread that had already expired, and pound of salmon that was beyond rancid. Each time I have to write an email to customer service and ask for a refund. It's really annoying that their shoppers don't check the expiration dates. It's a waste of time and money since you're paying a convenience fee + tip.

josephh104
1/28/17

Well this is my second review, the first one i said i was not going to use instacart again, but i did,
I placed an almost $200.00 order for COSTCO, i have a business executive account with Costco, but after placing the order i realized, IM NOT GETTING MY COSTCO credit, instacart is useing there card and taking everybody's costco point, if you know anything about Costco and you have an executive account you know that you get a check at the end of the year that basically pays for your membership and sometimes even more and the only way you get that is if you use your card and Shop there frequently will instacart is taking everybody's points so imagine the check they're getting at the end of the year.
So I called instacart customer hotline and they were no help they would not help me at all.
So again for the second time not happy with instacart the delivery people are very nice though

kellys195
1/25/17

I spent several hours researching grocery delivery sites because I'm unable to walk due to a severe knee injury and finally settled on Instacart as they promise same day delivery . So I spent probably another hour logging on, shopping, creating all my items and so on only to find out that they do NOT deliver within one or two hours it won't be until nine to 10 o'clock tonight, it's noon now and I'm starving. I would've just went with Vons but they can't deliver until tomorrow unless you order by 8:30 AM but I think their prices are a lot better. How disappointing to go through all that trouble only to find out it would be nine hours from now before I could get any toilet paper and am out of paper towels as well!! I guess I'll have to resort to coffee filters. Thanks instacart

melr27
1/25/17

Worst service I've ever used. I used Instacart to order a cake for a birthday celebration and specified delivery to be between 11am-12pm. I received an email stating that delivery was running late and was to be delivered no later than 12:30pm. At 12:30, no delivery had arrived so I called Customer Service only to find out the cake had never left the store. They refused to refund me, or let me pick it up myself. Delivery was scheduled for another 45 minutes later and the cake completely missed the birthday celebration.

The company offered to give me a free delivery on my next $35+ order. How about refunding me since I will never use this service again. #TheWorst

diannew12
1/25/17

I was using instacart pretty regularly despite the delivery fee, service charge, and tip. In my last order there was a printer receipt from Whole Foods showing the actually amount for the groceries was $25 less than what I was charged. When I asked instacart about it, they said they can not honor coupons or specials and I got this receipt "by mistake". Yeah one big fat mistake! I wrote back expressing that I would like to close my account and I got the same robotic answer to look in the help section for info about pricing. My order was $277. If you add 6.99 for delivery, the service charge they now add and a tip, I'm paying over $100 bucks more for the food in the bags. Total rip off. what a shame. it could be good. but they obviously have no clue that people can actually add.

christaw
1/19/17

First time on the site browsed and set up my account. As soon as I put my debit card in they charged me $149 without me purchasing anything. I called and the customer service worker said someone used your card and I need to contact my bank to get my money back. I asked was there a delivery? She said no. I said was there a subscription purchased? She said no. So I asked why can't you reverse your charge? And she repeated for me to contact my bank. Unprofessional thieves.

eunicea4
1/10/17

We ordered Horizon Organic Vanilla 10carts of 8 milk boxes on Whole Food Market website, the package was delivered on Thursday (01/5/17) around 7:00pm. We opened the bags and found out that the expiry date was within two to three months and we needed longer expiry date so we packed quickly and drove to Whole Food Market to return just to be told we have to contact INSTACART. We contact them that's when all lies after lies ,promise to take back the items ends up our request was denied. We've never seen a most dishonest company and terrible customer service, each one telling us different story. INSTACART CO. deserve zero rating due to the way they rip customer , if we've bought these items from Whole Food store we wouldn't had this problem of returning them. Just to be sure on Whole Food website INSTACART does not state that no returns!!! Please do yourself a favor stay away this company INSTACART.
Eunice A.
Summit -NJ

stacir2
1/3/17

Only delivered 1 of my items.They had to replace everything cause they said the store did not have it in stock. Lies. In any case only got the water i ordered and it was not delivered upstairs. They are a dishonest company.

shauntas
12/29/16

From the moment I started my order online there were nothing but problems. The coupon I was trying to use whose expiration date wasn't until days later was showing as expired. Called, got it handled. Next, everytime I placed a discounted item in my cart when I went back to my cart the price had changed. It did this no exaggerating 10x's, spent about an hour on it. Next the store, if they are out of an item it is at the shoppers discretion what it's replaced with & they were ALLLLLLLL the way off twice! Then I get the groceries and the price you're charged is different (higher) than what is in front of you. No bueno. So you call customer happiness expert who isnt happy at all & tell them the issue. They offer an instacart credit. I think not, after the experience I just had I am sticking with Wal-Mart. Nothing but pleasant experiences with them. They did credit back my card when I made it clear I would never use their service again. So not worth the headache. On the bright side, my shopper was a sweetheart. But i still have to go grocery shopping when i was hoping this would cover it. I saved neither time nor money

alidam1
12/28/16

My experience with Instacart is through Petco where I do a large monthly order. I am aan older woman dealing with stairs and heavy products like cases of wet food, litter, etc, meaning I always ask for delivery as can't do all that lifting myself.
Instacart doesn't match the customer with a store in their area, offers coupons in the on-line order form that are sold out at the store they go to, make substitutions at will that don't reflect either what is ordered or the coupon savings, and think they can get away with delivering partial orders at higher cost than what was ordered, necessitating reordering and paying again for delivery which includes the "Shopper", their service charge and a tip...on the average over $40!. When Petco offered in-store delivery it was at a flat fee of $12. You loaded your cart with what you wanted, paid for it plus delivery and got it within hrs and paid a tip...$17.
No Thank you!

deels
12/22/16

So I had my very first experience with Instacart was great and decided to order a second time. The second time they rescheduled my order last minute to a later time and which I was unavailable. I had to cancel. I thought, whatever it happens! Third time I place my order before I left for work at 7:30 in the morning and had it scheduled to be delivered between 7 PM and 8 PM at night. 8:30 PM rolls around and I called customer service to see if it was still coming. The rep told me my order was unbatchable, which apparently means there were no shoppers in my area, yet I received confirmation that my order had been received and I did not receive any notifications that they were not able to do it or had to reschedule. Offered me a five dollar credit. Thanks? Not to mention their app is poorly made. It's like they know they're terrible because there's nowhere on the app you could get in touch with a live agent. Great job Instacart for making people's lives more convenient this is the service that you provide yet you do the complete opposite of that.

andrews239
12/16/16

I used them in Georgia to buy from Costco. Their service and convenience was 5 stars but when I compared the prices I paid through instacart to the store prices I was not happy about it. I paid $165 for $132 in groceries and that did not include my tip for the driver. That's about 25% more which defeats the purpose of shopping at Costco but it was definitely convenient for a single dad! I did read that some stores have in store prices so that might help.

nicolet112
12/16/16

It's convenient to order from instacart and has an easy to use UI. However, I was brought in by the shiny offer of $10 and free delivery. When I went to use the coupon it took off the $10 then when I went to check out told me that my delivery had expired! Then it prompted me to select delivery options which was -- guess what , $10. So, basically tricked me by giving me one and not the other. They're not all bad, but unless it's far/inconvenient, I'd recommend you do your own shopping.

galinas4
12/7/16

Instacart managers discriminate. I experienced intolerable harassment and stalking at work. Setups were at the stores where I shopped and also at the addresses where I delivered groceries. Instacart managers brought their own customers to stores and did setups. They cursed and called me names in stores where I shopped. Also, after the delivery of groceries they followed me in their cars to intimidate me. This company need to be sued and be closed since it violates shoppers' rights.

clintonw14
11/28/16

I mean... I don't know where to start. Terrible customer service. They lost my delivery and wanted ME to get online and re-order it, delivery fee included. Oh but wait they were going to give me a $5 discount. I'm sorry, I just paid $60 and you want me to RE-ORDER this because the delivery driver never showed?????? How insane is that?

meredithd1
11/27/16

I really depend on grocery delivery services, as I live in an area without a convenient grocery store. I use Peapod (not same-day, and for some reason, has very little fresh meat or seafood), Amazon Prime Now (shops at only one grocery store in my city, and the software is very inflexible), and Instacart. I use Instacart the most, even though, in many ways, it's the worst of the three services. I like that I have my pick of six or so stores, but the accuracy of the shoppers is VERY poor. One problem is that, unlike Peapod, they have a poor catalog system (plus, the catalogs of the stores that you can choose from vary in completeness and accuracy). If you click on "baby back ribs," as I did recently, with a photo of a slab of ribs, you may or may not get what is pictured (one time, I got a small slab of plastic-packed ribs, another time I got short ribs of beef!). In the case of Peapod, what you see is what you get. I'm sure the software is correlated to a bar code, which then appears on the item on the shelf. With Instacart, the photo bears no relation to anything (I just saw a listing for ground beef that had a photo of a jug of orange juice!), so interpreting the request for an item is up to the shoppers, who are no doubt very rushed, and often don't know anything about food (one young man didn't know there was a difference between an"eating" and a "juice" orange).

The good thing is that customer service is very responsive, and when the shopper messes up, they'll rush a replacement within an hour, and give even you a credit off your next delivery (though you usually have to ask for that).

jillh53
11/17/16

I tried this once and it wasn't a great experience, but it was a new service and I love the convenience of it, so I thought I'd try again. Here's the issue - the Instacart website/app does not have real-time information on what's in stock in their stores. Unlike Peapod, RocheBros, and other grocery store driven apps. So you're shopping, creating your basket and place your order, expecting it's a done deal and you'll go back to work and have your groceries delivered later that day when you're done working. Well, what happens? You get 3450301 text messages letting you know almost everything is out of stock and they offer replacements. Sometimes good replacements, sometimes awful. You can keep trying new substitutions, if you have time to constantly log in and update/verify. In the end, you get about 30% of what you actually ordered. I don't know if it's the shopper's lack of interest in looking through the stores' products, or if the stores really are out of all the things Instacart lists on the website. Either way - I have to spend time and more money to go to a regular grocery store to fill in the gaps of what's missing. It is not a time saver and you're spending money for delivery fees, service charges and tip, so it ends up costing WAY too much for very poor service overall. I tried twice at home (once at the office) and I'm officially done. I liked the idea of having a variety of stores to choose from, but this just doesn't work. I'm going to stick with Peapod.

Tip for consumers: If you don't care about what groceries you get, then this is for you. If you have time to respond to rapid-fire text messages with product changes - you'll love it. Otherwise, skip it.

tonyt66
11/17/16

Don't order eggs. Evidently the shoppers don't checked for cracked eggs. Ad says prices are same as store prices. Not true. When I asked why I'm being charged more than what the receipt shows, they admitted there is a markup on store prices. Instead of offering me a refund for items I did not receive but was charged for, they gave me a credit for future purchases which does me no good because I don't plan on using this service again.

5 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Instacart staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question