Review of Instacart

Tel: 1645605963857
shoppers@instacart.com

davidc559
7/18/17

I wanted to share what a terrible experience we had with InstaCart!
They were offering one "free" grocery order to try their service. They did not mention the 10% hidden charge for the orders value!
Then the order couldn't be located by bell services because the person who dropped it off wrote my wife's first name only on a few bags like a two year old in crayon. The name "Chris" was completely illegible.
Many items needed refrigeration and they never told bell services that; all of those items were ruined. Next we had rotted fruit, hamburger and hot dog rolls that had been flattened to a pancake and also told that the store had no bottled water; really????
After many calls and much frustration we are home now and surprised by a $149 annual fee! You have to be kidding InstaCart! We canceled your service way before the 30 day trial ended.
Save yourself a headache and use someone reputable.

terryp67
7/15/17

I was super happy with delivery, shoppers, total payment, tip, but I DID NOT appreciate being automatically charge an annual fee of $149.00 which I never signed up for! This was soooooo not cool (AT ALL......PERIOD). I will not use this service again because of this.

josha42
7/14/17

Where do I begin. Whoever is getting the groceries will pretty much substitute almost every thing you want because they are probably too lazy to find it. I signed up for a free trial, forgot to cancel (my fault), and was getting charged over $100 a month for the service. Some produce was rotten and the lady that delivered didnt even bother to come up on flight of stairs. The last straw was when we tried ordering groceries and it never gave us a confirmation on whether it went through. So we tried it again. No email, no response saying hey we have your order and its on its way. I look on my bank statement and was charged 2 times for $220 dollars. I immediately canceled all groceries and service. Stay away from these crooks.

Tip for consumers: Dont use it

stefaniel6
7/13/17

I got lured into a free one month trial because it seemed so convenient. I really regret doing it. They substituted several items with other items not the same (i.e. ordered Sugar Smacks cereal and it was substituted with Raisin Bran). They didn't have the smaller sized bean dip I needed for a recipe so they substituted a huge size that I didn't need (and charged me the cost for it). I indicated I didn't want to pay a 10% gratuity which was optional but was charged anyway($15). Everything went wrong...these are just a few of many frustrations and I only used it ONCE! I cancelled my free one month trial. I contacted customer service to let them know I cancelled. Today was the one month expiration of the trial and I got an email saying I was "conveniently" charged $149 on my Visa for a one year membership. Ugh!!!!! I told my husband I had a bad feeling this would happen. Total scam. Be smarter than I was and avoid instacart.

amandah54
7/13/17

When you fill out the application form online the monthly/annual membership option is designed to look like you're signing up for $14.99 per month, billed monthly. I too got a charge of $149.00 annually. I immediately contacted them, canceled and they refunded my credit card. They need to make their membership page a lot easier to navigate.

christinea55
7/11/17

I tried Instacart for the first time today because I was sick and didn't feel like leaving the house but needed to grocery shop. I left specific instructions for the delivery guy because it can be tricky finding my place (I live in a cottage behind a house, but it's not exactly hidden). Knowing this, I kept an eye out for the delivery driver and tracked him. When i saw that he was on my street, I waited outside just incase. Nothing. No phone call, no driver. I thought maybe he was lost and then I saw that my order was cancelled so I called customer service. Well, the customer service could not be any worse than it was, they claimed that he had tried to call me but the number on my account did not match the number I gave the representative, which didn't make any sense because I used autofill to input all of my information over the site. Secondly, I was charged a $15 cancellation fee which the supervisor REFUSED to refund! That is NO way to treat first time customers! not to mention the fact that the cancellation fee costed more than half the price of my initial total for groceries! This kind of bullish** is highway robbery and I'm going to make sure none of my friends and family use this service!

maggies52
7/11/17

I downloaded the app last year and used it twice, but found that they charge more than if I went into the store.. a lot more. I stopped using it. Today I was charged $149.00 on my credit card for a "membership"! I never signed up for a membership and since I didn't use it for free, I definitely am not interest in spending $149 a year for the service! Beware of uploading this app!

meghanw3
7/9/17

I tried instacart for the first time via Publix delivery. I had received a $10 off your first delivery and free delivery coupon so I was ecstatic to save time, gas, and money. Overall, the whole thing is painless. The site isn't very user friendly but it is idiota proof. First issue the pricing is different than the actual Publix sale. It's actually more expensive. Second issue, apparentlyrics you have to get the exact same item to get the b1g1 sales. No flavor variances. Third issue, you can't return the items. So I was charged full price for items that should have been free and I can't return them. Instacart customer service is a joke. Since they don't actually sell the items, they can do nothing to fix anything. This business is a scam.

alicer45
7/8/17

My experience over several deliveries:
CONS:
Produce unripe or on verge of spoiling on every order
Items not ordered
Charged twice for same order at different amounts triggering fraud alert with cc company
Found service fee and was sort of OK with it until I learned it does not go to delivery people
Tricky to reduce service fee under certain circumstances
Got items I did not order
Credits not provided, gave up
PROS:
If you cannot go out, it's an option
Sent 5 chickens, instead of 5 lbs. of chicken, and was fully credited

mariyns
7/7/17

This company likes to overcharge for groceries and then give you the run around when you notify them of the overcharges. They clearly overcharge for items that are marked on the product and then will not refund money.
Do not use them!

brianr157
7/7/17

The support when the delivery gets messed up is So BAD! Don't use these guys. They keep double the amount of your grocery order charged to your card while you dispute a missing item! That can me low balance issues with your account while they hold your money.

mariew51
7/7/17

I loved Instacart for the first month. Then I placed an order, selected a window that allowed me to get to work on time the next day, check on the order only to find that they changed the delivery time to after the window with no notice. I called them and they said yes, they do that sometimes??!!!??

angelas182
7/6/17

Chose my delivery time--as requested--she showed up an hour earlier. Didn't get many of the things on the list and substituted ground beef for a pork/veal/beef mixture without alerting me. Really? The store was out of ground beef? I think she may not have known the difference! Pay an Uber to take you to and from the grocery store and save a ton of money and a lot of hassle!

eddiew24
7/6/17

Do not use Instacart. Signed up for their free trial. Told that our groceries would be delivered at 3:00 p.m. At around 4:00 p.m., we called to see the status. We were told that they cancelled our order because we did not give them the code to our community gate. We do not live in a gated community. You would think they would call us for this mythical gate code. They apologized and said that we would have our groceries by 5:30 and that they spoke with the shopper. No groceries at 5:30. We called again and they told us that they spoke with the shopper and we would now have our groceries by 7:00 p.m. No groceries. We called again at 7:30 p.m. and we were told once again that they spoke with the shopper and that we would now have our groceries at 9:00 p.m. By this time we had to order pizza delivered because we were going to make dinner with the groceries that Instacart was supposed to deliver. Anyways, at 9:30 p.m., we call and cancel our free service. Who cancels a free service? They said that they would refund our money for the groceries. (Refund still hasn't happened - told by Instacart that it would be 3-5 days)

After I call to cancel our service, Instacart calls me at 9:45 p.m. to tell me that there was a problem with the order and that they would have to cancel our order.

Stay away from this company.

deniseh78
7/6/17

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT USE INSTACART!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! This company charged my account for the authorization fee as well as the actual grocery amount causing my side account used only for this purpose to go into overdraft. I've emailed, called, which they give the same standard recording and never got it resolved through them. My bank handled it for me and I'm filing an affidavit against them. Now on the grocery side, who doesn't have bread and coffee at the grocery store, really?!? Out of the 30+ items, I received 19, and a double charge. DO NOT USE THESE CROOKS.

tobyw10
7/5/17

First order. Messed up. Charged for items and did not deliver. Huge disappointment. Would not recommend.

ellier16
7/4/17

What cheap bastards; it's unbelievable that I've already written them 6 times about the measly 10 dollars they owe me smh. This company is a disgrace. They rip people off by overcharging them and then send email after email promising to 'take care of the situation as soon as possible' while doing absolutely nothing to solve the problem. They have no integrity or moral values. Most of the drivers were friendly and professional, but there were a few who were dirty, creepy, and socially inept. Many mistakes were made on orders and I was forced to spend a lot of time (I don't have) to fix them/ask for reimbursement. This wasted time completely retracted from the 'conveniency' of home delivery; no one wants to spend an hour on the phone with their clueless and grossly inefficient customer service department. I'm hoping Instacart goes out of business so that they don't scam another person. Even their drivers informed me of how unfairly they are treated by the company. Please do not give this company a chance to rip you off/take advantage of you; they have no integrity and will waste your time and intentionally destroy your day. Instacart only sees people as commodities. Considering the many 1-star reviews on this site, there really is no reason to use this service.

daniell1433
7/3/17

They are always "out of stock" at the grocery store when i'm pretty sure most items like banannas and apples are never out of stock at any store. You end up getting replaced pretty much everything you ordered because honestly the shopper just wants to get in and out. Now for the main reason not to use.... As i was empyting my bags for the first time the shopper left the paper receipt in my bag....My total was completely diff than what instacart charged me and this is before the delivery fee and the service fee they already charge. When I complained to customer service their only explanation was the shopper isnt suppose to leave the receipt. Instacart charged my card 150 and thats with a 11 dollar fee and 5.99 delivery which is fine as far fees goes but not when my total was 84 dollars and they 120 before all fees just for the groceries.

sharyns2
7/3/17

No notice, no prior contact from them--checked delivery and found a $6.60+ substitution for a $1.90 item--a small Haagen-Dazs that I would NEVER have chosen to purchase. Bad service. Looking at other reviews, I'm not looking forward to the cancellation process either.

Just drive to the store, People.

irmag14
7/1/17

I love instacart! I schedule my delivery time ahead, then when I get home from work, my groceries arrive 15 minutes later! They have great shoppers, great options, great service. I use instacart 3-4 times per week. Thanks Instacart for making our life easier.

ronr73
7/1/17

They make it next to impossible to cancel your membership before the deadline. No worries, I have already alerted American Express and they are put a hold on any payments to Instacart

alexandrac30
7/1/17

Instacart Express: The most worthless service I've ever encountered. A fidget spinner has more worth than this garbage. I pay $15 per month. Just so they can charge me around $10 per order if the order is less than $35, and even if it has "express" on the name, you will still have to wait hours and hours for the order to arrive at your door.

christinab98
6/28/17

I love Instacart and have used them for years and years. It recently came to my attention by a flyer a delivery person put in one of my bags. Before you complete your order click on the service charge and default it to $0 otherwise you will be charged. This doesn't go to the delivery people only tips do. You have to do this every time you place an order. The customer service team did do a great job refunding me over $500 in service fees. My rating is only reflective of this deceptive annoying practice. It should be taken off there system entirely.

jaquiem
6/27/17

Let me start by saying that the idea of Instacart is FANTASTIC and that if anyone ever gets such a service done right, they would make millions. It is much too easy not to fall into the habit of having something delivered and saving time rather than wasting it.

That said, this is NOT the company to do it.

After receiving various emails from them to try them out, I decided, why not and spent some time ordering a few things from a local store. Upon check out, the system told me that it could not add my card, but did not say why. (It is a perfectly good MasterCard, not prepaid, with enough funds, etc). I phoned them and was told to email their helpdesk, which I did.

In the meantime I decided to see if anyone else had run across the same issues,and found nothing but bad reviews online for them

I guess I am the lucky one in that their system did not accept my card. While I didn't progress through the entire receipt of the groceries or billing, just the initial experience with them speaks volumes.

I will not be doing business with them, and thank others for their reviews.

cindym150
Cindy M.
6/25/17

My experience was as follows. I placed my first order with no delivery charge but a $7 service charge that I was not aware of. My shopper/delivery (Milo) was one person who did a great job picking my produce. I tipped him in cash because it wasn't his fault about the fee. I don't like that it had a hidden fee so I probably won't order again.

Helpful answer

Your driver and shopper have no info on how much instacart charges you and cannot get you any cash back. Thats what banks are for.

By lisset l. on 2/16/17

Helpful answer

Questions? Get answers from the Instacart staff and other customers.

Instacart?