US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

theresei

Home away is now charging a service fee for absolutely no reason. (in 106 reviews)

davids468

Their customer service has always been top-notch, and their dashboard is user-friendly. (in 85 reviews)

br12311

I'm a home owner that uses Homeaway/VRBO for rentals. (in 41 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

prescottc
7/30/16

homeaway has caused havoc in my 2016 rental season getting between the renter and tenant increasing rental costs by charging tenant 100 dollar fees and squeezing the consumer will not renew subscription and these changes made without feedback this is what ios wrong with corporate america

lesliec53
7/29/16

We carefully planned a trip to Italy. In January 2016, I reserved two apartments - one in Florence and the other in Rome for a July 2016 vacation. I conversed through the site with the owners, and I made all payments on time. Less than a month before the trip, the Florence apartment cancelled our three night reservation. I was left to scramble to find new accommodations. The day we were leaving The United States for Rome, the Rome apartment cancelled our reservation for five nights. I had to quickly secure accomodations before boarding our plane. Customer service at Home Away provided little help. It took days for our money to be refunded through our credit card. We were left with last minute accomodations at greater expense. I have rented accomodations throughout Europe through different companies in the past without problems. Both my rentals with Home Away resulted in last minute cancellations. Stay away!

Tip for consumers: Do not use this website to book your vacation.

ralphe17
7/29/16

Aside for charging a listing fee,they now charge a processing fee to the traveler. This is not justified and owners lose bookings,because traveler sees one rate ,but when trying to book finds out that there is an extra fee not expected. They should warn traveler first ,that they will charge a processing fee. Unfair and unjust.

jimc153
7/26/16

To be fair the property I rented out from these guys was fine. But there was an issue with the bill and when I tried to call it was a complete joke. 2hrs spent being passed around various (offshore) departments who all asked the same questions and still didn't even get close to a resolution.

jessr28
7/22/16

Becarful when you try to get a rental they want credit card at front .later they say is not available and still charge charge me 1432.00 to my credit card and the owners are overseas im still battling to get my credit card charge taken away

bryano7
7/21/16

Now VRBO / Homeaway is charging travellers 6% and getting nothing in return. They charge owners a large fee to advertise, but now going after the rest of us. We rented countless times with VRBO, but never again. Now owners will pull out since renters won't want to pay the ripoff fee. They do nothing at all for the 6%. Also, who wants to spend another $200 for booking a condo for a week. Looks like we will be using other sites fo rentals. Also, we could not undertand the rep and they couldnt understand us. It was not India, but some other part of Asia.

donnaa54
7/21/16

We recently rented a home in Holland Michigan 327 Big Bay from Michelle - for late Sept. Since my daughter is getting married in August, it was important to get the details of our "Girl's Weekend" finalized. Guess what?? Unbeknown to us, the property we had rented was for sale and we received a notification from the owner that she was canceling our reservation because they sold their property!! Really, why didn't you tell us, we wouldn't have booked with you. Ok, I have received my deposit back, but now I have to start all over just weeks before my Daughter's wedding. I contacted HomeAway thinking they would help me somehow, maybe find another location at a similar rate. NOPE!!! They could care less. Just give me your $$ and I'll send you a complaint form to a property that really won't be rented again. I would think that HomeAway would at least be a bit more compassionate. I won't use them again, and to think I was going to list a property with them soon. NO WAY. Just make sure the web page that you are using actually cares about you, the RENTER!!

garyp90
7/20/16

Looked at a few properties. One we were interesepted in, got online to rent and price had gone up almost $700 in a day. But the daily rate was still the lower price. So I sent email to property,never got a response. But when I got online found that the daily rate had been raised since my email. Guess that was my response. Does not appear to have good customer service. A little afraid to use now. Really wanted to rent a place through them. Will look for something else

rickc57
7/19/16

I canceled my reservation 15 days in advance which according to the owners policy would've qualified me for a full refund instead he gave me half my money back and kept $250. I also paid for the cancellation insurance and hobo way claims they don't see that I paid for it even though I paid the extra $35 And they are not doing anything to assist the refund or give me direct access to the owner that ripped me off. I hate this company. They've stonewalled and evaded.

pamelaj23
7/19/16

Our Gladeview property (#119750) was impeccably clean, comfortable, and well stocked. The owner Theresa thinks of everything.....we felt it was just like being at home - but we were on vacation!

cathrynb1
7/19/16

Have tried contacting Customer Services to enquire about a property been calling no for 2 weeks at different times of day with no answer at all.. After reading these reviews I think I will go back to Owners Direct or AirBNB and stay away from HomeAway...Terrible way to run a business..

kathleens38
7/18/16

We made a reservation for a flat in London in March. Last week, after we made our final payment we received a call and email saying that there was a problem with our eservatiojn and it was not available for the dates we wanted. Supposedly a refund was sent (we have received no refund yet). We found another place and booked (our trip is next week, so we were in a panic.) Our reservation was accepted; our money was taken. Two hours later our reservation was cancelled and supposedly a refund was in the works. Not yet. We decided to go with Air B&B. After reading about Home Away online, I read that the company is now charging a fee for every booking. So, they'll let you book, charge a fee (to the owners),take your money, and cancel the booking, and who knows if/when we'll get our money -- probably not before we're set to travel. Stay away from home way.

debbys5
7/17/16

I requested several times different prices of condos in Playa Del Carmen and I have never received such disrespect in all my life. One Manager, Daniel Forte was unreal. He accused me of using my country as leverage and that the only country in the world that is the greatest is United States. I just stated where I lived and that I was interested in renting this year and the following year. His replies were that I was wasting his time and other fellow employees as by sending emails on several locations. He said it is "right" to be disrespectful!! I have dealt with a lot of Managers but this one I will never rent or recommend him to anyone especially if you are from Canada!!!! He hates Canadians!!! Hopefully he doesn't hate all people that don't live in the United States. I would never rent from Home Away!!!

maryd193
7/16/16

My Sister and I booked in Branford, CT for a weeklong stay with my Mother, Niece and a couple of friends. We booked the house for a place to stay so that mom could visit with the family and friends in the area. Mom is elderly and cannot do stairs and considered handicapped. The house was beautiful and in a beautiful setting. We saw lots of wildlife to include: Deer, birds, chipmunks, frogs etc. Everything except one bedroom was on the main floor. This was helpful since mom cannot do steps. We inquires as to whether the house was handicap accessible and we were informed it was. The owners were very nice however I think clueless as to the needs of certain clients.
The bathrooms were not handicap acceptable. The toilets were not at handicap height and did not have handicap bars. The shower had a 3 inch step over which can be troublesoe for mom. All of the bedding was on the floor, there were no bedframes. This make it very difficult for a handicap person to get in and out of bed.
My mother and I were the first to arrive. The owner and her son were there and all of the doors and windows were open in the house. They gave me a tour so that I could see where everything was. My first thought was Wow where is the litter box. I am very sensitive to smells and smelled cat pee throughout. The first night I had to sleep with a shirt over my face and was outside most of the visit.
Once in the house the owner indicated that they have 2 cats and obviously the dog who was touring the house with us. The owner built a very large shed out back for the cats with AC while folks are staying in their house. What this means is that the owners will be visiting daily to feed their cats.
When I spoke to my sister about the reservation she said that the owner said no pets. We took that to be that she had no pets and we were not allowed to bring pets. This was an issue because my mother and niece are allergic to cats. We could not turn on the AC because the owner admitted to not changing the filter since last October. Looking in the vents there was obvious hair and dust in the ductwork. During a very hot week it was very uncomfortable for all of us not to be able to use the AC.
There were bugs, ants and beetles in the house. One morning my sister and I went to go swimming and the pool was covered in termites alive and dead. We cleaned them out with the net. When we made the owner aware it seemed to be no big deal even though she has an all wood home.
We had family over one night and I had to clean the dog $#*! off the grass so that no one would step in it. If you are renting your house you should clean up after your own pet especially with what you are charging.
On the last day we realized that the owner had 2 active cameras watching our every move on the outside of the house and never made us aware of these camera.
The house did not feel very private or comforting because they came by daily to feed their cats who live in an Air Conditioned Shed out back, they have cameras watching us while outside, who knows if there were any inside, we could not use the AC and creepy crawlers were everywhere. My poor mother was uncomfortable all week and so happy to get home. I too was happy to get home away from the camera's, creepy crawlers, CAT SMELL, and much more. Lamp shades were taped together and by the end of the week lost its stickiness and resting on the light bulb, half of the outlets did not work and it was difficult to find an outlet to charge my computer or telephone.
This type of home make it worthwhile and the hassle of staying in a hotel instead. It certainly was not worth the money we paid and I will be requesting a refund
By the way there was only one smoke detector in the house and there was no battery. Beautiful but remember owners cant and wont respond the way hotel staff will.

harryf31
7/13/16

Very disgusted with HomeAway and would not do business with them again. They received a deposit from a customer wishing to rent our beautiful farmhouse for their honeymoon. They received TWO payments from them and did not send us one red cent. They said they would hold onto the money, even the nonrefundable portion of our deposit. Why? It's our money. We are perfectly capable of holding onto our own money. We are in business, we are adults, why do they insist on holding onto our funds as though we were children?

They are not holding it in case the tenant cancels, oh, no, because they are holding even the nonrefundable portion, the portion that belongs to us no matter what. They have no explanation when we asked, it's just their policy. It's to force us to buy from them.

They get a percentage which they take out, but why not forward the rest of our money to us? So they hold our money hostage UNLESS we pay for a subscription with their company. EVEN though they are already paid by the person renting. I'm not even sure it this is legal to withhold our own money from us. If we want our money we have to wait until last minute, even if we would be using our deposit to tweak the place to make it perfect for our guests. Shame on HomeAway, we withdrew our ad and will NEVER do business with these scammers again.

emmas77
7/11/16

I have a very bad opinion of this company. I reserved a home and paid upfront for the reservation. The owner cancelled the day I was supposed to travel. I then had to find a hotel, which I did, but when I asked for my refund - that is when it got tricky. They refunded part of my refund and not the other half. I tried to contact people and then got the runaround. Finally, contacted the owner and said if I do not get my money back I will take her to small claims court. She then called someone and they told her it would take 7-10 days but they would refund my money. 7-10 days and more passed and still no refund. I finally ended up calling my bank and putting in a fraud charge on this company. My bank is reviewing it and that will take another 5-7 days. I love online companies but it is always a good idea to have a person working also instead of having customers run around and try to get through automation. I will never use this company again. They took my money in less than 2 seconds for the home but the refund is working into the 31st day and still no money. Bad business.

Tip for consumers: Just be careful who you are dealing with. Make sure there are reviews on the property you want to rent.

danielh125
7/11/16

Our cabin fell off the website for several months after loosing several thousand dollars in revenue they offered 2 free months of advertising , after over 8 years and several properties no LOYALTY !!

garyr68
7/10/16

Simply put, HomeAway is not what it was when we signed up with them seven years ago. All of the other reviews left here have confirmed everything that we suspected - thank you very much for your input. We are a rental owner and our inquiries have dropped to almost nothing this year. In prior years, we were responding to inquiries several times or more a week. Now, it almost seems like a waste of time to even check to see if anyone has inquired. This lack of inquiries has also translated into a decrease in bookings. Consequently, we will NOT be renewing with HomeAway and will be looking for other sites to on which to advertise. Too bad - Homeaway used to be a simple, straight-forward way for "mom-and-pop" businesses to get wide advertising coverage without the customer needing to go through a middle man. That has all now been turned on its head - HomeAway is now just another money-grubbing big business just looking out for themselves.

amerh2
7/8/16

The representative of home away in Cyprus treat with us in a very rude way just because I discussed with them way should I pay a deposit for the electricity, and the lady told me that if I didn't pay the deposit she will not allow us to stay at the villa, what a way to treat a customer.

ronaldk28
7/7/16

I WAS ABLE TO STAY AT THE LA DOLCE VITA BEACHFRONT CONDO FOR 24 DAYS .
IT WAS A GREAT PLACE TO BE ATTHE INSIDE WAS THE BEST I'VE SEEN AND BEEN IN IN A LONG TIME . THE OWNERS ARE REALY WONDERFUL AND WILL HELP IN ANYWAY THEY CAN . I WILL BE GOING BACK SOON FOR AN OTHER STAY
THANK YOU VERY MUCH RON KING.

alc156
7/6/16

If you use this company for the billing company that they are (they subcontract out but its thru them that you can take payments) then its ok. But no body there is going to take personal accountability for anything. Pass the buck. They just want and receive a pay check to occupy a chair, answer calls, emails. They act like they're such a huge company and don't know anyone outside of their department and getting a supervisor involved gets very confrontational as they are most adversarial. All they do is direct owners to their site and search for feedback option and then type in our concerns. No accountability and no one evers calls or contacts you to resolve. None have any real management watching over them so they will talk to you anyway they want to. Most are nice but some are rude and either gives out vague information. They now charge guests and have always charged owners for their serve. A bit greedy and it shows. Also, the rental agreements guests have to agree to (check a box when making an online reservation) is NOT enforceable and owners will loose any battle or dispute because the subcontractor/billing company 'vacation rents' is what they call themselves says that homeaway doesn't have the paper work properly signed. That the box guests check needs to be 'on' the agreement itself and isn't. Well then why don't they fix that??? Have reported numerous times and was told that they will look into it. When asked for them to follow up with us about this topic they say they don't have a division to follow up with owners. Just be prepared when dealing with these people.

nancym127
7/6/16

Wish I could give a 0. They have ruined a good business model out of greed. I would have paid a higher regular subscription vs the mess they have made. I believe many of their practices are dishonest and possibly illegal.

bettyloub
7/5/16

You will delight in your stay at the Painter 's Country Home, on the Ionian island of Kythira, Greece. The 400 year old farmhouse is a lovingly restored and modernized gem and was recreated by a sentimental granddaughter (now, an internationally famous Grecian artist). It is colorful, comfortable, flower draped, and, charming (especially for our group of 4 adults). The peaceful setting frames the birdsong, and the goat bells, the cicadas, and the church chimes. It is conveniently located and near the central town of Potamos with its delicious tavernas and well stocked markets. We all adored the Sunday taverna music and stayed many hours listening and watching the local villager's singing and dancing. There were many swimming beach options just a short drive away, and its an easy drive to sight see Kythira's highlights. The mythological birthplace of Aphrodite lives up to its reputation.
We highly recommend this destination!!

Tip for consumers: The owner will be happy to meet you at the airport, guide you to the property, show you the ins and outs of the house, and mark Kythira's sightseeing map. Extremely helpful. The owner was always just a text away and eager to assist. She set up 2 delicious meals for us at her favorite taverna, Lemonia. When I sat on my glasses the owner took them to an optometrist, and when my husband left his backpack on the airport curb, she went back to retrieve it, and it was untouched. Remarkable care and h

laceya2
7/4/16

Recently tried to rent a property and "book with confidence guarantee." I received an email from the property manager requesting my credit card number, expiration date and security code; obviously did not provide it. When I contacted HomeAway for support canceling the request that hadn't been confirmed yet, she just kept repeating that I needed to work with the property manager. After explaining the issue 6 different times, another woman began yelling at me on the phone and said she would "raise" a claim for me. When I inquired about the purpose of the claim, she said it was "what she's supposed to say but she doesn't understand the process" and hung up on me. 48 hours later HomeAway charged me a $49 processing fee. Worst service in the world. Just work directly with reputable property management companies and skip this BS.

clemenciab
7/2/16

Our condominium in Miami (Normandy isle) doesn't allow short rentals, not only because condominium regulations BUT city ordinance . A renter of one of the apartments has a posting renting the unit . I personally contacted to Home Away and a Laidy called Jessica didn't even took my complaint nor even care about somebody was posting something illegally and slamming people . I am reporting the adds to the city of Miami . Can't understand how this web site is helping scammers to defrautnpeople

65 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the HomeAway staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question