Review of HomeAway

Tel: +1.5126841100
csong@homeaway.com

db172
9/18/17

The rental we were supposed to stay in was trashed by the hurricane. No answer from manager. Homeaway/VRBO just takes the money but cannot offer any real support. Use your CC and dispute charges. Or contact owner and rent directly

susanr59
9/18/17

Rented my home to someone who trashed it and stole. Home away then charged me for their having accepted a stolen card! Don't do it. They are worthless.

michaelc500
9/18/17

Want to get ripped off? Book property ##3692110, "The Lodge", in Asheville, NC. ZERO compassion during a hurricane evacuation. Could care less what the client thinks, says or does. Unreal how crass and cavalier their attitude is. Stay FAR FAR away.

nancyb239
9/17/17

Just got an email to for our final payment. I had to call the owner to find out what the $108 fee was for. He told me it was what the website charged me!!!!!! Are you kidding. I am going to let everyone I know to boycott this website.

ericg100
9/16/17

Great communication when they take your money . When you show up to a disaster they can't be found!
If you rent from Blake Born you better stop at Betten Chevy and look him in the eyes before you give him money.

He has a good racket going. Don't be his next victim!
He has 3 properties!

michellef124
9/15/17

I am so distraught, we opened our home and successfully rented 4 different occasions and recieved 5 stars from each. Currently today we checked in another renter only to find they deactivated our accout (owing us thousands of dollars). They haven't released any if our renters deposits (making us look bad) and now have told us we must collect the money ourselves... FROM PEOPLE that are long gone already rented, reviewed and paid HA?

Our state was just hit by a devastating hurricane and the current renter is an evacuee and for that I cant kick tgem out as HA suggest I do. I need serious help finding someone that can help me straighten this mess out.... We trusted thus company, remodeled our home, moved into an apt in order to allow maximum availability, been an awesome host and now because of this robbery we are in danger of loosing our home because we are NOW not able to pay our bills because we are out approximately $3k in revenue.

peterg180
9/14/17

Stay far away from this site, it's just not worth it. I requested to book a place and received an email later stating this place was not available. I then booked another place on Airbnb only to find homeaway charged my card. I have spent hours trying to get my money returned and am currently on the phone with them on hold. Even on the homeaway site it doesn't show that I have a reservation. It's looking like I'll never get my money back. This site sucks. I've never had any problem with airbnb, I should've stuck with them.

Tip for consumers: Don't use Homeaway!

bobif
9/14/17

My family, from across the USA, booked a rental property through homeaway.co-Villa-Formosa, Orlando Fl . First, there were hidden fees that I had no idea I was charged until I looked at my paypal account. Second, the place that we stayed in had black mold, the oven did not work, and water poured into the home every time it rained. The amenities listed did not work, and most of the bikes were dangerous and broken. When we tried to post a review online, we were told that the link had expired and that we could not do so. When I read there own policy to them which clearly stated that we had a full year to submit our review, they refused to resend the link and told us there was nothing we could do. The owner of the property was a scam artist who was clearly allowed to be by homeaway.com. Buyer BEWARE!

robertw386
9/13/17

We joined Owners Direct in 2004 with our holiday villa in the Algarve, Portugal. HomeAway took them over, increased the fees owners paid however still operated a good service. We paid the top tier of the subscription offers and obtained most of our rentals from HomeAway.
Now that Expedia have bought HoweAway the whole formula has changed. Now we pay a much reduced subscription but our renters are saddled with a very significant commission and we get charged a 3% fee as well.
I don't want our guests to have to pay any more than the rental advertised. Once they have enquired I don't like them being saddled with the rental commission on top and I resent not being able to contact them direct until HomeAway say I can. How dare they stop me chatting to potential guests by direct email or telephone. They are my guests not theirs.
I don't mind paying them a hefty sub and then being left to deal in my own personal and friendly way with potential clients but I really hate the new Expedia driven money grabbing scheme they have imposed on us holiday home owners.

sueg59
9/12/17

Had a fabulous weeks holiday at this lovely appartment. It offered us everything you would need to make it a great time. The private pool was fabulous and we were never out of it.
Plenty of nice bars and restaurants within a 10 minutes walk away offering a wide selection of food and drinks.
Used the tram which is in easy walking distance a few times to visit the local towns and markets.
Thanks for a great time.

jackieb98
9/11/17

Property Owners - DO NOT list with this company!!!
Just got off the phone with them and they DO NOT screen potential guests in any form. The only information they get is email and credit card information for payment processing.
You could potentially be inviting a person with a mile long criminal history into your home and do not know it.
On the other hand, AirBNB requires potential guests to fill out a profile with them before they can even request a date. You can see the person's picture, personal information, where they live and past reviews from other property owners. BEWARE!

gregoryn15
9/8/17

I to have been a loyal homeaway customer for years with the multiple properties. Putting on weddings and such it's important for me to speak with the customers to
Make sure they get what they need. Now they've taken the phone connection away and it's a black hole of rental information.

I spoke with them today and they told me they have decided to go the route of a online travel service and not a personal one.

I am in the customer Loyalty business and manage relationships for over 2000 retailers. This change the executives at Expedia have taken is nothing but a money grab, based on greed. I can't afford to go to the meeting in Hawaii but if I could I'd be very clear on my dissatisfaction.

Shame on you,Barry Diller, Chairman and Senior Executive, Mark Okerstrom President and Chief Executive Officer, Expedia, Inc, Victor Kaufman
Vice Chairman and Nikki Krishnamurthy
Chief People Officer, Expedia, Inc. Many more not mentioned hit you can search out those responsible for decimating the rental Business we all loved doing with VRBO.

anthonyb177
9/7/17

Since 2007 I have been with VRBO (a Homeaway site). Form many years it was by far the best vacation home rental site available and produced great results.

Not any more.

It has fallen to the bottom of my list, not just because it no longer produces the results, but because everything they do wreaks of greed. They have sneaky fees for both the renter and the owner and then when it is time for them to finally distribute the money to the owners, they delay it even further.

This is the worst company I have ever worked with; and that's saying something.

beckief1
9/6/17

My cabin in Ruidoso was a successful, highly sought after cabin. My tenure since 2009, my 5-star rating from our guests and my willingness to pay $1500 per year to Homeaway for the platform made it work for everyone. Apparently that wasn't enough for Homeaway, they wanted to start charging the guests too. It was running beautifully until Expedia bought them out. Now it doesn't work for me or the guests, high fees, bad customer service from Homeaway, disgusting! I put in a search with all the filters to find my cabin and it was NO WHERE...did not exist! I've had less that 1/4 of the bookings of years past. Airbnb and TripAdvisor have picked up the slack but now I manage 3 booking sites to maintain my business. WORTHLESS...AVOID!!

Tip for consumers: Tip? Use another site! This one is totally out of integrity.

allif3
9/5/17

Be very careful they don't publish how much they are going to charge you you just tick that you accept terms they never tell you how much until it lands on your credit card no receipt or invoice it's a con

ashleyy21
9/5/17

Rented a home for labor day weekend 2017 and the home was absolutely disgusting. We contacted the owner who was no help and than tried to contact homeaway. We told them we have pictures of this horrible place and they gave me a case number (09973366) but couldn't help me in no other way besides by putting me in contact with the owner which whom was no help since he thinks the house is satisfactory!!

We used to use home away at least 3 times a year for family getaways but that will no longer happen and I will tell everyone I know about there horrible customer service and lack of empathy!!

marka248
9/4/17

Rented a Homeaway property in France . When we arrived there were about twenty things wrong with the property and it is clear that HA has no interest in inspection nor addressing your customer needs . What you wonder is what value added Dow they bring except for spurious reviews written probably by the owner . We shall neve touch HA again for any rental needs and we shall caution everyone we know nowt to use HA .

terrii2
9/4/17

Don't use Homeaway/VRBO they are ripping you off! Renters, if you are looking for properties ALWAYS inquire first. Ask questions look for the place on google then try and get a hold of the owner direct. It's very possible if you take the time to search this on google. Check out my website, you too can get your own website! If you know someone who wants to stay in Pompano Beach, Go to www.pompanobeachfrontvacationrentals.com I have my own website for my rentals now. I have had less and less rentals through Homeaway! I advise all owners to get their own website and for renters to search rentals by owner. Let's show this greedy company that we don't need them. As soon as my subscriptions expire, I'm done with Homeaway!

stacyr62
9/3/17

In April2017 we booked a rental in Punta Gorda. We had so many problems with the unit, the property owner offered a free week stay for the upper unit. Didn't think it would be possible for it to be worse, but it was much, much worse. Have left 2 voice messages & 1 text message and not one single reply. We had to book with a hotel for just our peace of mind. Not wanting to bring home unwanted bugs back home with us. So do not rent a unit at 1781 Jamaica Way, with Janet Paula with Century 21.

doviea
9/2/17

My family and I spent 7 nights at 2809 Pier Pointe Drive Emeral isle NC. Listing at HomeAway.Com was 1067065. The condo was breathtaking. Very clean and well decorated. Ocean views right from the backporch. Everything you need is already there for your use . The owner is very responsive if something happens and you need help. I highly recommend this condo to anyone that wants to have a relaxing vacation really close to the ocean.

stever165
9/1/17

Can't get my deposit back. They say it's the owner. The owner says homeaway. As they didn't pass out money to the owner in the first place I'd be on the side of the owner. I'm considering legal action to recover the money.

They say it takes 7-10 days after the 7 days for the authorisation. Absolute rubbish. I can make a bank payment immediately - why can't they? They are just sheisters. Don't trust them.

maevem1
9/1/17

I've booked three different trips through Home Away. One of them was fanstastic - great property and ethical renters. The other two have been a living nightmare. The renters from our other two trips were just downright liars, thieves and scammers. They both took our deposits with absolutely no proof of damage or any receipts that proved they had services rendered. They both claimed dirty footprints were left on the walls. I don't know about you but I use magic eraser and that solves the problem. These people have to have the entire room repainted and then charge us for it. They also each tried to charge us $50+ because we left a few dirty dishes in the sink. We settled the last dispute we had in 2015 only because we left a horrible and truthful review about the renter. His business suffered so greatly because of our review he decided to give us our money back. The people we are dealing with now have not responded and we have filed complaints with HomeAway, the BBB and reported fraud to our bank. HomeAway allows people to rent their properties on their website who are extremely unethical and do not engage in best business practices. If I damage something or break a rule I will gladly own up to it and pay what is fair. But when renters make up lies, take my money and show me absolutely no proof (pictures, receipts etc.) I have a hard time coming back to this site ever again. There are too many other ways of renting properties. The amount of time it's taken me to file complaints, close down accounts because of fraud and deal with the incompetencies and bad business represented on this site has been frustrating. Good-bye HomeAway!

edw1946
8/31/17

HomeAway claims that they allow a year for renters to review the properties they rent, but that's not true. We rented a house in New Hampshire from HomeAway. It had some positives but many serious problems, including safety issues, maintenance and cleanliness. We waited to receive our deposit back before rating, and we tried to file the rating exactly 1 month after leaving the property. HomeAway said we were too late to rate it. Again, they advertise 1 year. The property was disappointing and HomeAway even more disappointing. Maybe that's how they keep the ratings high.

alyssab29
8/30/17

My fiance and I, plus two of our friends were trying to book a place in Texas for a weekend during our honeymoon. The first place we found was listed for a price and we booked it. I received a call the next day that there was a "glitch" in the website and that the price was about 4x as much as the price that it originally was. So we tried to find another place. I should have stopped there. I tried to book another place and when they tried to charge me, my bank stopped the charge from going through, except I got no call from my bank about it, only from someone who worked at the place we were trying to book, not the actual owner of the place. It all seems really shady and not well coordinated, and unsafe. I am really displeased and am done wasting my time trying to book places through here.

anniet31
8/29/17

Rented a cabin in MN. The cabin was great but the processes was a nightmare. We got over charged for additional guests even though it says It accommodates 14 guests. Anything over 8 was charged an additional $50/ guests. Even though we anticipated 14 girls only 9 came. We still got charged the additional guests charge and emailed the owner and customer service about asking for a refund which was completely ignored. It also took 24 days for our $1000 damage deposit to be refunded. The entire set up and run around was extremely frustrating. And my advice if youre going to book threw Home Away do yourself a favor and just say you have the min guests!

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Helpful answer

I plan to leave Homeaway in the near future. I have been with them for 10 years. They have betrayed me and my guests.

By John B. on 3/15/16
Helpful answer

Go elsewhere. Sadly what started as a very good site many years ago has evolved into an unethical monopoly that has a sole interest. Profit. They do not care about owners or travelers. They exist to remove you from your money, and will say one thing and do another. They have lost the faith and trust of both, and it is well-deserved. Anyone coming on board with any of HomeAway's companies as a traveler or host would be foolish considering their underhandedness.

By Eric K. on 3/20/16
Helpful answer

That's a toss up.... Kinda like eBay with sellers and no feedback.... In general... I don't trust Home away anymore than I can throw em....cuz they are gonna side with their rentors and not you.....

By Steve H. on 6/18/15
Helpful answer

No, they won't. Worst agency I ever dealt with. Warn all you friends. They should be put out of business.

By VS P. on 8/18/15
Helpful answer

If I were you I would run as far as you can from these people!

By Richard D. on 7/6/15
Helpful answer

HomeEscape.com is relatively new but with the new Expedia Service charges on HomeAway/VRBO, the homeowners are moving over to HomeEscape in droves. Over the next year as the HomeAway subscriptions expire many of the homeowners will not renew with HomeAway if HomeEscape turns into a good alternative. In general we (homeowners) are pretty upset that Expedia is going to make over 4Billion in added income from our customers just in the first year of the fee, if folks continue to book through them. Many of us will feel pressure to lower our rental income but if you only knew our expenses you would know this is not really a big money maker for us - personally, these fees will actually put us well into the red. So, for our guests and ourselves, HomeAway will no longer be a site we do business with once our subscription expires. And, though we used to rent through them at least once a year, we're done with that as of now.

By Terri M. on 2/27/16
Helpful answer

This was my first and last experience using a similar service. I have been traveling for years, staying at hotels, with no problems. Given my experience with homeaway, I will only use reputable hotels from now on.

By Erik R. on 7/15/15
Helpful answer

I don't think our guests are aware of the rip-off yet. Look what it took for us to figure out what they are doing.

By Ute C. on 2/24/16
Helpful answer

You can't be certain. They will not assist you if you have a problem with the property. They will do all in their power to prevent you writing a negative review (it's very telling that there are so few negative reviews & those are very mild.) There are many other honorable sites to choose from. Learn from our experiences. Other sites WILL help you if there's a problem. Homeaway won't.

By VS P. on 4/18/15
Helpful answer

At the end of the day, HomeAway is a advertising vehicle for owners to reach guests. Each unit is as good as that owner makes it. I own 11 properties that I list on HomeAway and manage 6 for others. My customers are universally happy with the condos they stay in. At this point there is not much you can do. But I would strongly suggest in the future you speak to the condo owner and ask tough questions. Owners like yours give the rest of us a bad name. It is a shame that a few bad apples can screw things up for the rest of us owners who work very hard to give our guests a great experience!

By Steve L. on 9/12/13
Questions? Get answers from the HomeAway staff and other customers.

29 Photos for HomeAway