Review of HomeAway

Tel: +1.5126841100
csong@homeaway.com

phyllissb
11/22/17

I, recently, booked a Homeaway guest house in Mar Vista, CA. According to the presentation of this particular place, people gave it 4 1/4 stars. I attempted to access the actual reviews, but was unable to do so until I paid in full, which I did. It was advertised as a guest house with a bedroom, bathroom, shower, etc. After payment I read the past reviews, which referred to the shower as outdoors. I was shocked, to say the least. I, also, got a list of rules and regulations, which negated some of the reviews ie: a great library of books (regulations said they were not to be touched), fruit left in the refrigerator ( no, a small bottle of water, can of something and a bottle of some off-brand soda) with the regulations that one could not eat anything beyond the small kitchen area. The worst thing for me was, that one could not bring friends or family into the rental area and if the renter wanted to meet someone, they should do so in some place away from the rental. Okay, I didn't say, in the beginning that I'm an 82 year old grandmother. I was obligated to give a profile before I was accepted. Frankly, knowing the renter was a grandmother, I would have assumed she was a senior person and I would not have accepted the reservation due to the outdoor shower, alone. The four days I spent there, the weather in Los Angeles was a bit cold and I only took one shower outside, using my friends' showers for the other days. Also, I said, in my profile, I was in Los Angeles to visit friends as well as two of my grandchildren. I had planned to have my granddaughter stay with me for one or two nights, but due to the regulations, that was not possible. I feel this rental was misrepresented. I would have liked to have my grandchildren, who are adults, come and sit outside with me in the lovely patio. In my payment there was a cleaning charge, and insurance. To be honest, the house was not that clean, the bathroom had ants (which I got rid of) and the base of the toilet was filthy. Oh, the bed was a pull out sofa. I would never recommend this rental or Homeaway. I feel if you're paying for something you should know, in detail, what you're getting.

shawns65
11/18/17

I would have give homeaway a lower rating bt it wouldnt let me. We saved up for a year to take a vacation in Puerto Rico. After the hurricanes, we reached out to Homeaway to assist with an owner that was not returning our calls. They called the owner and the owner said the property was fine. The owner continued to give us the run around and we continued to request assistance from Homeaway. After 60 days, it was to late to challenge the transaction. The owner sent us an email informing us that the property would have water in a couple weeks and power in January. (Two wks from our departure date) We lost $1283 to the property owner. Homeaway was worthless in, and during the process. We will not use them again!

edc70
11/16/17

I rented a house in St John for Oct. The hurricane hit and the reservation was cancelled. The owner gave us back our deposit but Home Away has yet to credit my account. The owner has gone back and forth with this company and cannot understand why account has not been credited. This happened around Oct 15 and here it is a month later and NOTHING HAS HAPPENED TO CREDIT MY ACCOUNT. I have gotten American Express involved and they have not had any luck yet as well. I have talked to several people at this company y who HAVE NOT BEEN SNY HELP!!!!!

garyw121
11/15/17

Do not use this company! The website says that the security deposit would be refunded within 7-14 business days which is standard and I understand why there would be a delay. However, in my case I checked out of the property on 10/22 and I had not received my refund within that time frame. On 11/7 (over two weeks after I checked out) the home owner contacted me with questions about things that were supposedly left on when we left. I told them we did not leave anything on and I thought it was resolved, but when I still had not received my deposit back as of 11/13 I contacted HomeAway and they said I wouldn't receive my deposit back until 12/3. I contacted customer service twice and the second time I was on the phone for over 25 minutes and was transferred 3 times and each person said the next person would be able to resolve the issue until I got to the last person who said that the refund is dependent on when the home owner decides to initiate the refund and there is nothing they can do now which is completely in contradiction to the terms on their website. Don't fall for their deceptive and shady business practices like I did.

davee51
11/13/17

there not worth 1 star but there wasnt a minus!! decided on a late break for my wife and I. Looked on homeaway and found one we liked sent of request to book complete with card details, rather surprised to be told that the owner had 24 hours to reply, we were travelling in 4 days. 23 hours later received a email stating that the apartment was not available (still advertised as available) so we booked another apartment sent of the details and our card details once more and once again were told that the owner had 24 hours to reply. 10am monday morning we received an email wherein the owner said his neighbour's flat had been put out of action and the neighbour wanted to use their apartment for the people who were in the broken one so we couldn't have it. OK these things happen but the owner said he learnt of this at 8am Sunday morning, so it took him 26 hours to inform us that we couldnt have the apartment and we were flying the next day. I wouldnt trust homesaway to organise anything. There staff have trouble speaking the language and couldnt care less attitude, for instance asking me if I had emailed the owner when i wanted to enquire about anything, are they stupid it could take 24 hours to get a response.

michaelc536
11/10/17

advertised with this company and its predecessor for many years and this company has gone from bad to worse - so now im setting up my own holiday website -

celesten2
11/9/17

Looking to book a beautiful venue for my wedding and my payment kept getting declined! Thinking it was just a security issue through my bank, I called them and they said everything was fine on their end. I just used a different card but I still had the same issue! Upon calling their customer service rather than putting in my information like my name, number, and email address in case we got disconnected.. every time I was transferred to somebody new (which was every 15 minutes) I had to repeat it a number of times because they could barely speak English! I stayed on the phone with them for nearly 2 hours, got hung up on once, yelled at, and by the end of this fiasco was told "my request could not be processed and there was nothing further they could do." I am hoping I can just place my reservation through the owners directly because reading some of these terrible reviews I would hate knowing they got 20% of my deposit regardless after how I was treated!!

paulam118
11/8/17

I couldn't agree more with the previous NEGATIVE REVIEWS! Not only are they greedy but they lack decent customer service.....wonder how they would feel if A company to whom they had paid good money, consistently kept them waiting on hold for up to 30 minutes just to finally tell them "this line is no longer available due to customer call volume!" Their representatives are lacking in knowledge about the system and often can't locate the customer's information! However, in case you don't believe it is all about greed, then try calling their number for the people who want to book a reservation. It's amazing how fast they answer that call, no waiting period, no hold time!!!!! With so many more vacation rental companies now in the market, that offer 100 times better customer service at half the price...here's betting they won't be around for very much longer!

briand166
11/8/17

We arrived at the property Amorgos Gardens, Kato Paphos on Thursday 28th Sept 2017 at 1.30am .. first impressions was that it was smelly and dirty.. the bed smelt. .. the insides of the wardrobes smelt fusty with mould as did the kitchen cupboards.. the skirting boards were rotting and black due to two floods over the last 3 years. The fridge has black gunge in between the rubber seal.. the cooker splash back and tiled area was sticky with grease and cooker filter was yellow with old grease.. paintwork is yellow due to age.. The bathroom sealant had ingrained mould and the shower fittings had heavy deposits of ingrained mould...rusty bathroom basket..the outside was worse grubby stained nylon sunbeds.. dusty patio area spiders webs .. paint peeling off wall and black all around the bottom of the wall. The pool area has broken dirty sunbeds.
We took photos displaying this apartment in all it's glory and sent them to the Owner and HomeAway who saw nothing wrong with them.. he said !!.. he did arrange for us to meet with his cleaners the next day .. which we did . and they agreed with what we said.. but they did point out that it was clean as they could get it. She stripped the bed as we had slept in it for 1 night to reveal stained pillows and pillow protector and very very stained mattress. Ugh.. We had no choice but to find other accommodation. we had booked for 2 weeks so we gave him the key back in the hope that he rent it out for the 2nd week.. but when we went round on the last day we found the cleaner there 'CLEANING' and that the Owner had had decorators in .. in readiness for the next family.. so to us this says that the Owner listened to us and did something about it .. but he insists he is under no obligation to refund US ! .. This building was constructed pre 2006 when building regs did not require a damp proof course and the flood water is evaporating through the building floor which is causing the damp and mould.
Homeaway who we booked with played no part in our complaint insisting it was between us and the owner.. The owner will continue to rent his apartment out.. and people on a budget will have no choice to put up with this and have their holiday ruined. So the owner refuses to refund us, and HomeAway take no resposibility even although we paid them and not the owner. There is no phone number to speak to anyone at HomeAway just emails so we never got anywhere with them seemingly just standard replies reading others pictures of correspondenceWe shall be taking it further with a lawyer regarding the payment to HomeAway. We would NEVER deal with this company again.

katherineh55
11/8/17

I have used HomeAway and VRBO for many years with good experiences, however the company has totally changed! My last two bookings were nightmares, properties so bad I would not stay in them. HomeAway completely refused to help, I lost the entire payment, which was in excess of 8,000.00.

al30402
11/2/17

I have rented my home through this company for 7 years. A year ago the problems started (read the reviews). It got worse and worse. As an attempt to maintain a venue for attracting renters, I succumbed to their demands, but it keeps getting WORSE!!! I don't think they actually WANT the homeowners business. I don't have a theory for their reasoning ?????!!!???? I have finally dropped them, but I have been monitoring, and for my small rental area, the number of homes available has dropped from 245 to 203 in just three months. So apparently other homeowners are as frustrated as I am. For Cape Cod and the islands, visit WENEEDAVACATION!!!! They are awesome. NO BS!!!

jayt88
11/1/17

Homeaway has been very disappointing! They take an enormous fee for renting your property- 15- 20 %, Very difficult to navigate and understand the fees and difficult to understand the process (they obviously do this on purpose, hide fees). Very big learning experience for us.

joelles6
10/30/17

i am property mgr and i can really recommend that you take another website for your houses. They are afraid of the tenants or holiday peoples and as punishment they are puting your listing inactive. The fees are out of propertions and the security center doesn,t listen to what you say. As owner you are really being put in the very bad spot . Do not use this website . They are not service minded at all

evelyng36
10/25/17

I am a home owner and i am upset with homeaway
A guest put in a wuestion and a request, I coversated with the guest on his issues meanwhile i did not accept his request and the homeaway just hid me from the website. I was not able to communicate with the guest and visa versa. I lost my rent By fortune my guest of next week conacted me to ask me what happened. After consulting homeaway they explained that if we do not accept within 24 hours we are hidden from the website... but also for current homeaway guest. Hoe confusing is that! I will add this in appropriatebehavior of homeaway in my contract but i find it unacceptable they change the policy without informing us.

sandrak78
10/24/17

My request for a property was denied, however 3 days later my bank account was hit for the money. Called 3 times and was put on hold for over an hour before being disconnected. They show no record of my payment which I know is a lie because I'm looking at my bank statement which I have emailed to them. Now on the phone AGAIN! guess I'll wait for that disconnect signal again.

cp116
10/24/17

Rented from this company a few months ago. Went to Montreal and rented a property through luxmontreal, and a owner name Lawrence. Bad experience overall, and wasn't allowed to post a review without it being edited numerous times. Owner of the property was allowed to write a detailed response which was full of lies. Owner ended up taking my security deposit based on false accusations. Attempted to contact home away and gave no valid explanation for the issue. I would stay away from this company as well as luxmontreal the property ID is 4160843. Also if you do stay at this place, and the owner tells you that you can leave, and just make sure the door is locked, DO NOT TRUST HIM, wait for him to come to inspect the place before leaving.

lesliel63
10/21/17

I have used home away and vrbo for years,always a great experience.This year I booked months in advance for our family of ten .The trip was cancelled by the owner 65 days before our stay,which is acceptable with home away,after 45 days prior we would have been taken care of. I have rented another place thats 3 hours farther from the airport because everyone has already made international flights. I am so disappointed with their customer care,no satisfied guaranteed if canceled outside of 45 days. Buyer Beware

amandas269
10/19/17

MY RESERVATION WAS CANCELLED BECAUSE THE HOMEOWNER DOUBLE BOOKED ON TWO SITES. LEAVING ME AND MY FRIENDS WITH NO HOUSE AND HAVING TO SHELL OUT ANOTHER $2000. Theirs reps were not helpful, and not one of them ever gave me all of the information I needed to know in one phone call. I had to call MUTLIPLE times to sort out a new place in less than 24 hours. I have been spoken down to, told that all I could be offered was an apology. I hope they go bankrupt, because they are absolutely morally corrupt.

foolisht
10/15/17

The owner showed up an hour before check out time. Walked in on my teen while she was still in the shower . Rushed us out after spending a week at 600 a night. Yes US dollars plus a deposit of 2000. Property was smelly poorly equipped and a complete waste. One Star is one too many!

reneec61
10/15/17

I have rented through HomeAway and VRBO many times but I will never use them again. I had to pay a $1500 security deposit which is extreme. However, the fact that they took this $1500 out of my account at the time of booking (4 months prior to arrival), is robbery. Not only are they collecting interest on my $1500, but I am out this money in my account until refunded. A security deposit should be held and only used if there is damage! People listing their property with HomeAway and VRBO should pick a more reputable business to rent your property with!

cherig8
10/15/17

Agree with the people on this site. I have had a couple great experiences, but all it takes is one bad experience to realize that they don't stand behind you or have any real guarantees that you can use. They won't allow you to talk via phone with certain departments. If you arrive at a house that isn't clean and full of bugs, you have to work with your credit card company to attempt to get the guarantee to try and get your money back or stay there in something that you are completely uncomfortable with. It's too risky for me - had a terrible situation happen in St. Pete where I had family come to town and the house had roaches and was under construction - took months to get my money back for the unused nights that I paid for through Visa.

dianab96
10/15/17

I had a dream vacation set up for my family to go to Disney in Florida. I rented a home in Windsor Hills what a mistake never again. Also my security deposit has never been returned the home was cleaner when I left than when I arrived. Never again will I use Homeaway or VRBO

senay
10/14/17

I would not book through this company unless u want to walk into a home that is stinky, filthy and unbearable and they tell you stay or leave ur money is NOT REFUNDED. They give the owners sooo much power! The costumer has no value w HomeAway!!!!

stevew255
10/13/17

As an owner they have 'hijacked' my money. I have had many bookings with homeaway, but now they have told me they sent a client a deposit in error....31 months ago. Until I pay their erroneous payment...I don't get my latest booking monies.
Phoned their 'helpline' - they read a script. Wrote to head office, no replies.
Service - terrible.

ct95
10/10/17

Better to book directly with the owner, and or property website otherwise Homeaway will charge you a "service fee" like 60 plus dollars that don't provide any service and will just direct you to the owner anyway for all your questions
Their guarantees don't mean anything
Watch out for properties that are considered external bookings, which by the way you will never know till your hooked and booked that have extra contracts to sign and make sure you read and understand every term in there. Homeaway will never help you and basically their customer service is useless.
Be careful,

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Homeaway is charging a fee for paying through them. They said it was to improve marketing and because renters like to pay through them. As some one who is listed through Homeaway I find this practice destructive both to the owners and renters. I encourage all potential renters to contact the owners directly and pay us directly. Owners already pay a fee. If the owners want to be listed in higher tier you have to pay more. To me they are just trying to find ways to make more money at both the owners and renters expense without improved service for either.

By Robert D.

Go elsewhere. Sadly what started as a very good site many years ago has evolved into an unethical monopoly that has a sole interest. Profit. They do not care about owners or travelers. They exist to remove you from your money, and will say one thing and do another. They have lost the faith and trust of both, and it is well-deserved. Anyone coming on board with any of HomeAway's companies as a traveler or host would be foolish considering their underhandedness.

By Eric K.

That's a toss up.... Kinda like eBay with sellers and no feedback.... In general... I don't trust Home away anymore than I can throw em....cuz they are gonna side with their rentors and not you.....

By Steve H.

If I were you I would run as far as you can from these people!

By Richard D.

HomeEscape.com is relatively new but with the new Expedia Service charges on HomeAway/VRBO, the homeowners are moving over to HomeEscape in droves. Over the next year as the HomeAway subscriptions expire many of the homeowners will not renew with HomeAway if HomeEscape turns into a good alternative. In general we (homeowners) are pretty upset that Expedia is going to make over 4Billion in added income from our customers just in the first year of the fee, if folks continue to book through them. Many of us will feel pressure to lower our rental income but if you only knew our expenses you would know this is not really a big money maker for us - personally, these fees will actually put us well into the red. So, for our guests and ourselves, HomeAway will no longer be a site we do business with once our subscription expires. And, though we used to rent through them at least once a year, we're done with that as of now.

By Terri M.

You can't be certain. They will not assist you if you have a problem with the property. They will do all in their power to prevent you writing a negative review (it's very telling that there are so few negative reviews & those are very mild.) There are many other honorable sites to choose from. Learn from our experiences. Other sites WILL help you if there's a problem. Homeaway won't.

By VS P.

At the end of the day, HomeAway is a advertising vehicle for owners to reach guests. Each unit is as good as that owner makes it. I own 11 properties that I list on HomeAway and manage 6 for others. My customers are universally happy with the condos they stay in. At this point there is not much you can do. But I would strongly suggest in the future you speak to the condo owner and ask tough questions. Owners like yours give the rest of us a bad name. It is a shame that a few bad apples can screw things up for the rest of us owners who work very hard to give our guests a great experience!

By Steve L.
Questions? Get answers from the HomeAway staff and other customers.

29 Photos for HomeAway