Review of HomeAway

Tel: +1.5126841100
csong@homeaway.com

danielp152
7/27/17

Simple put STAY AWAY. Have had a listing for over ten years and since Expedia took over it is just plan awful. They charge fee on both ends of a booking and are now forcing all bookings to be done by credit card by not giving phone numbers or emails out until booking is complete. DO NOT LIST WITH THIS COMPANY PERIOD.

natej2
7/26/17

hello, my credit score was 450 and was unable to get an educational loan until my brother introduced me to PACIFICVIEW.HACKS at GMAILDOT COM who helped me increased my credit score to 820 within few hours at a very cheap cost. i am very grateful to them cos they really helped me. You can also get to them for hacking services like phone hacks, social media hacks...

aneeshal
7/26/17

After returning from grocery shopping we were welcomed by a gang of roaches in the kitchen. Small to large critters that didn't even bother to scurry after the light was turned on. We contacted the emergency number to which we were told to call during business hours (what's the point if an emergency line ) The person who answered the phone was short and very rude. The were noticeable holes in the plaster, mold in the batrooms, hair/dirt on the sheets. I wish I could attach pictures

pattyh35
7/25/17

Most deceiving and expensive site on the web - f'n ridiculous!! Don't waste your time here! Oh, need to enter more characters to publish...lol...ok: check "details" always before booking. 2-3 times what is shown for nightly rate; ridiculous cleaning fees - be very careful!!!

me4807
7/25/17

For fourteen years I advertised on VRBO..... I was very happy and my home in Hilton Head SC was always full... always rented..... starting about 4 years ago when Homeaway and then Expedia took over things started to go down... bad enough they started to raise the rates...up, up ,, up.. but what put the cherry on the cake was the "added fee" charged to the guests for using there site.... are you kidding me... get away from these money grubbing --do nothing-- people... think about it... all they do is hitch there wagon to your horse WITHOUT YOUR CONSENT and then have the nerve to charge the person who wants to rent the horse a fee for doing so.... I know longer do business with them... quality has gone DOWN>>>DOWN>>>DOWN spend the money on a web designer ... at least you get to keep every dime YOU bring in... This company is the pits for sure.... also they MONITOR your personal email with your guests.... beware...

christyg18
7/25/17

If there could be a negative star that is what I'd give. Booked a reservation on 7/5/17 and total price given online and in CONFIRMATION email was $649.56. I went online almost three weeks later to pay on the credit card I used to book and found a "service charge" of $66.00 from Home Away as a separate line item. I was sure this was just a mix up so I contacted them and despite me providing them my confirmation email with breakdown which DOES NOT show this fee they maintain it was displayed at check out. This is not the first time I've booked with them and I know very well how to make sure I know what I'm being charged for and this "service charge" was not given to me at checkout. I have filed a BBB complaint as these charges also showed up two days later than my booking charges, so this clearly was not displayed when I booked. I smell a class action law suit in the works myself....

carolync76
7/24/17

Total Dissatisfaction. Why Destroy a Once Great Company?

I have been with HomeAway for 16 years. You were a leader in the business when I joined, I soon learned. You brought more bookings than We Need a Vacation and TripAdvisor. Consequently, I dropped those rental companies to work solely with HomeAway. Now you are changing everything that was good about HomeAway.

I recently looked at a Website (Sitejabber) with 949 reviews of HomeAway. More than 800 reviews were negative. Those writers have the same complaints I do. With such a drop in people's estimation of HomeAway, I would think you would be trying to court us, your customers, instead of driving us away. I am appalled by your lack of loyalty to all your clients and me.

For years I was a homeowner who originally advertised two houses on HomeAway. You allowed me to communicate with my prospective tenants by phone and e-mail. I answered their questions, explained the lease and the house rules. They understood I am a hands-on homeowner who wants to maintain a lovely home. They read the excellent reviews my two houses, Nantucket and I have received from my guests. Now you want me to allow people to live in my house without my interviewing them over the phone. NEVER. Writing only e-mails to prospective tenants does not get the same timely or complete results as a telephone call.

You charged no fees until recently. Now each person who books on-line is charged a service fee. Why? I have already paid you a hefty yearly subscription amount. Additionally, I don't think you are honest because prospective tenants tell me they do not know you are charging them a percent of the rental, in my case $200-$300.

Your ads are new. The pop-up ads I see much too frequently now interfere with my editing my site. They cover part of the page I am looking at. FRUSTRATING ADS. DO AWAY WITH THE ADS. There seems to be a lot of HomeAway money grabbing now, what with service fees and these ads. Distasteful. Nantucket's rental rates are already high enough. I don't want possible renters to compare my Nantucket rates to mainland rates which are considerably lower and then go elsewhere, feeling I am overcharging them.

I have called family-run We Need a Vacation, which charges no service fees, and TripAdvisor to inquire about their policies. Each has retained all my rental and personal information. All I have to do is update my photos, which I need to do anyway because I have just finished renovating my house, and pay them a yearly fee, which is much less than yours.

So I am thinking seriously of leaving HomeAway unless you learn we clients are not going to be pushed around. I will stay with HomeAway only if you come to your senses, allow me immediate access to all my prospective tenants' e-mails and their telephone numbers, remove your incessant ads, and stop charging service fees. Then you will become the great company you once were.

Your decision determines what I do: stay or move on to other Internet home-rental sites. Please advise.

Carolyn Crowley

Note: HomeAway has responded to my letter. It is making no changes. I will leave HomeAway at the end of this season. I will not be bullied into following their new rental policies.

danielh179
7/23/17

Been a owner for 2 properties for 14 years with vrbo then homeaway has taken all the personal touches we had with our customers now have made it all corporate no more hands on , would have made much more sence to increase the owners yearly fee and leave the renters alone and let homeowners adjust accordingly, now they have both parties furious about this new format, Ridiculous!!

trishd21
7/23/17

Had my rental cancelled due to a double booking. Their customer service basically said tough luck. Will never use again

mikem534
7/22/17

We have been member/owners with two listing on Homeaway for many years, now that they have cornered the market they are dictating changes that not only affect us as owners but also our renters. We are leaving. Tripz.com made is painless to move, in fact their site mirrors Homeaway's old site and they didn't for us, calendar and all. In order to send a message to Homeaway owners and potential renters need to avoid their site and look elsewhere - Tripz is a good place to start.

janinem22
7/21/17

Rented a great place in Ocean City, NJ. Best vacation in years, but my feelings of contentment and relaxation quickly evaporated when it came time for my security deposit to be given back to me. The lease stated the money would be returned 14 days after our vacation ended. Waited patiently but on the 19th day decided to call HomeAway. Customer Service at HomeAway must be outsourced overseas because everyone I spoke with had a thick accent and it was evident that English was a their second language. Nothing wrong with that as long as the reps are efficient and good problem solvers (like Amazon!). Unfortunately, that was NOT my experience. Not only did I have to "dumb" down the reason for my call multiple times, but I ultimately discovered that every rep I spoke with was operating with different timelines for security deposit returns. The first rep, MJ, said my money would be returned in 7 to 10 business days because of an "owner" error. An email from the owner indicated that he was not at fault so I decided to call HA a second time to see if they could speed up the refund since the error was theirs. The second rep I spoke with, Nico, never returned to the phone with an answer, which then resulted in my third call to HA. Cherry explained that my money had just gone out to my bank and that it would be deposited at the close of business. When the money didn't show up, I called for a fourth time and asked for a supervisor. Mr. "Lou K" told me that ALL of the info I'd be given previously was incorrect and he'd have to look into my particular situation. Just received a message from Mr. Lou and apparently, I "might" get my money on Monday or Tuesday of next week. Thank goodness it's only $200! What a disorganized place HA appears to be! No one seems to have been trained adequately and no one can resolve my issue. For this I paid $156 administrative fee? Lesson learned, from here on out I won't be paying for things like this with anything other than American Express! At lease AE will credit your fees until the problem is resolved...and oh, yeah, never again booking a vacation rental through HA...because they truly don't know what they're doing!

rhondas66
7/21/17

The Homeaway fees are outrageous. I booked, then cancelled when I came to my senses. 17 days later, their $89 service fee had not been refunded to my credit card. I spent 22 minutes on the phone and talked to 3 people in order to get a refund processed. STAY AWAY FROM HOMEAWAY!

peper1
7/20/17

Beware hidden fees they will charge customers, a "service fee" of 8 - 10% for doing absolutely nothing.
I don't know any owner or agency happy with this rubbish company since buyed from expedia.
If you are an owner, do not advertise, if you are a customer do not book. Just contact directly with the owner.

jenniferr201

Property: 970309
Location: Manzanillo, Mexico
Property owner: DeAnna Gillard

I made my reservation for July 15-19 2017 back in May 2017, the website showed a picture of the patio with a fountain overlooking the ocean bay in Las Hadas Manzanillo. It looked beautiful in the pictures, I payed over a $1,000 USD for 4 nights. It turned out to be a nightmare, the worst vacation of my life, I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. The place was a "dump", it was rundown, old, falling apart, no air conditioning in when the weather usually runs in the 38°C/100°F. No toilet paper, no towels. The place was dirty and unkept. It was creepy. The information included in the advertising ad is deliberately misleading, the photos are edited out. In the photos everything looks nice and nicely kept, but once we got there it was the house of horrors.

Tip for consumers: Don't use this website if you don't want to fall into a plain daylight robbery.

deeanneh
7/19/17

You have bought up all the competition and now you think you can dictate your terms which are very much like Airbnb's, not letting the owner have any control over who is able to rent their property. This doesn't work for me. After over 20 years of using on line rental sites, my first and best was Cyber Rentals, I'm going to go it alone to find my renters.

joannh19
7/19/17

My review was on a Pittsburgh Pa Homeaway rental from the 6/28 to 7/05 /17 @ 494 Sterling St Pittsburgh Pa Owner goes by Joey ! The view was nice the picture he posted shows the old furniture that's not The same white couch tho ! The walls needed painting the floor were filthy .Dead bugs Spiderwebs everywhere feces in toilet Supposedly he has a Maid ! No sign she had been there in months the neighbor told us how people come and leave within a hour because of the conditions ! The house had several boxes of baking soda like it was absorbing the funky odors. NOT ! Bed upstairs was on the floor and the dirty baseboards you would have had to roll over on to get up off the bed/ floor on ! We used a can of Raid up there but after seeing all the dead bugs We chose not to sleep up there ! Please come with your own linens towels etc like we did . We used his guest towels and linens to clean toilets floors etc and to walk or stand on ! The master bath was on the bottom floor and the sauna tub had the huges hairball I've ever seen . I pulled it out and vomited ! By the way I did return it to the drain before we moved out ! When I complained this man offered me Lunch or the Maid to return I asked for the maid and got NOTHING ! Smh ! He came off very sarcastic after several texting back and forth ! So I just decided to make the best of it and do this review .That Homeaway took down ! The furniture looked to be found off a curb on trash day ! But that wasn't the issue the issue was the house was nasty from top to bottom the kitchen was the cleanest part ! For the price and number of people in our party you could ask why complain ? I'm complaining because the place would be nice if it had a women's touch a real Maid and not Joey lying lazy butt ! Oh computer has No Sound ! The Tv is Apple TV so if you know nothing about it google because Joey was no help at all ! Also trash was piled and full when we arrived imagine how it looked when we left the raccoons and other wildlife had it every where trash day was Monday and No1 came to sit it out To shame to face us probably ! Oh and he say that you checkout later as long as you don't mind the MAID working around you Well wait on the maid and you can probably checkout a day later Lol ! Checkout was at 1pm I lef at about 7pm because I wanted to see the Maid !

nicholsona
7/18/17

I'm an owner HomeAway is a complicated site and their customer service is expensive and inconsistent. Their mobile apps are sad and only kinda sorta work. They want you to run an internet business from a desk top computer. And they have dropped special event pricing and cost me hundreds of dollars. With a sorry.

mercyw1
7/17/17

the ease of the website is wonderful, and your results are even better. You find where you want to go and then look for the home that fits your needs.. and then have a great time. If there is a problem.. it's usually the owner themselves, not HomeAway.

lisai26
7/16/17

So hear this, my son was taken to the ER by ambulance 6 hours prior to us leaving for this trip an 8 hour drive, he was admitted to the hospital, and could not travel for several weeks, called homeaway lines were down imagine that, called homeowner and was told, Im sorry but no $$ will be returned.. they even keep the cleaning fee of $500.00 and no one stayed at the property. cancellation Policy bull$#*! my son is disabled we picked a handicap accessible home for him please please I do not want another family to have to deal with this we disputed charges but of course home way and the property owner keep blaming each other we have been disputing for 5 months, homeowners on the site are desperate, why else would they keep a disabled persons money, all we wanted was the cleaning fees and taxes returned. Stay away from home away, !!!!!!!, if they will cheat a disabled person and get away with it they will do anything. buyer beware.

dough57
7/14/17

If you are a homeowner, Home Away says you can set cancellation policies. But this is just rubbish. If someone cancels, HomeAway will tell you the contract is between you and the renter. If the renter contacts their credit card company, the credit card company will almost always rule in favor of the card holder. Then HomeAway employees in it's subsidiary Vacation Rental Payments will harangue you the homeowner to pay the chargeback. I recently lost nearly $1700 in a chargeback and I lost the ability to rent to someone else since the renter cancelled at the last minute. I had a signed, written contract stating clearly NO CANCELLATION REFUND, and I still lost. The folks at HomeAway are unscrupulous thugs. Stay away from them at all costs if you are a vacation homeowner.

elizabethg123
7/14/17

Just got a charge on my AE for $153 for a reservation I made on a condo in Destin, FL. WATCH OUT FOR HOMEAWAY! They sneak that charge in really fast! It's a completely different line item on your credit card. $153 to make a reservation!!!!!!! That's another night we could have stayed in the condo!!!! I won't be renting anymore condos from individuals if they use this sight. It's going to be hard having a good time on our vacation knowing we had HOMEAWAY ripping us off. I hate crooked companies like this.

doriet
7/14/17

For 14 years I have gathered the best clientele for our rental properties and have had
satisfaction and pleasure in giving families fun vacations and long lasting memories.
Now I have to charge less to make up for the 10% fee homeaway is now charging my customers, for what, nothing! They are still just an advertising venue and always will be. Charge me more for that service NOT my customers!!!

lizd31
7/14/17

Rubbish site. Just rented out my holiday home. Still awaiting payment. They claim your first payment will take 30 days AFTER your renter has booked or 1 day after they move in. Which ever is later.
31 days after the hoilday renter is in my home no money!
The webiste says "it may take an additional 5 -7 business days for the money to get to your account." I assumend that was a disclaimer for those people who us building society accounts.
Not the case. What Homeway mean is that it WILL take another 5 -7 Business days...ie 37-41 over a month after the holiday maker books you will get your money.
A joke in this day and age of instant money transfers.
Try Airbnb or Tripadvisor.
Will see if I get paid ...then removing my home from this site. No wonder it has such awful reviews.
Holiday home owners prefer any other site..hence they cancel on holiday makers.
Do yourself a favour book using another site!

carolinem56
7/13/17

We booked a family vacation in a unit that cost $492 per night. For this, we had no hot water, no blankets, bugs (one even traveled back in our luggage!), no wifi ... the list goes on. When I filed a complaint, the company escalated it to the property owner, but Homeaway.com team told me there was nothing they could do on their end because it was an issue between the property owner and me, even though we booked it through homeaway.com -- essentially relinquishing all responsibility for their company and not creating any motivation for the property owner to make things right with us.

I will never use this site again to book travel -- it's back to hotels or Airbnb for us.

johnc777
7/13/17

I paid for the service for multiple rental units. When Homeaway/VRBO changed their booking policies (flagrant overcharge in my opinion) they deleted contact information for guests who had already booked with me through their previous business practice. So, contact information for both renters and owners is gone making it very difficult to for each to contact the other to arrange arrivals, changes etc.Very bad people. I've transferred to AirBnB which is better. Would recommend avoiding Homeaway and all their spinoffs like the plague.

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Helpful answer

I plan to leave Homeaway in the near future. I have been with them for 10 years. They have betrayed me and my guests.

By John B. on 3/15/16
Helpful answer

Go elsewhere. Sadly what started as a very good site many years ago has evolved into an unethical monopoly that has a sole interest. Profit. They do not care about owners or travelers. They exist to remove you from your money, and will say one thing and do another. They have lost the faith and trust of both, and it is well-deserved. Anyone coming on board with any of HomeAway's companies as a traveler or host would be foolish considering their underhandedness.

By Eric K. on 3/20/16
Helpful answer

That's a toss up.... Kinda like eBay with sellers and no feedback.... In general... I don't trust Home away anymore than I can throw em....cuz they are gonna side with their rentors and not you.....

By Steve H. on 6/18/15
Helpful answer

No, they won't. Worst agency I ever dealt with. Warn all you friends. They should be put out of business.

By VS P. on 8/18/15
Helpful answer

If I were you I would run as far as you can from these people!

By Richard D. on 7/6/15
Helpful answer

HomeEscape.com is relatively new but with the new Expedia Service charges on HomeAway/VRBO, the homeowners are moving over to HomeEscape in droves. Over the next year as the HomeAway subscriptions expire many of the homeowners will not renew with HomeAway if HomeEscape turns into a good alternative. In general we (homeowners) are pretty upset that Expedia is going to make over 4Billion in added income from our customers just in the first year of the fee, if folks continue to book through them. Many of us will feel pressure to lower our rental income but if you only knew our expenses you would know this is not really a big money maker for us - personally, these fees will actually put us well into the red. So, for our guests and ourselves, HomeAway will no longer be a site we do business with once our subscription expires. And, though we used to rent through them at least once a year, we're done with that as of now.

By Terri M. on 2/27/16
Helpful answer

This was my first and last experience using a similar service. I have been traveling for years, staying at hotels, with no problems. Given my experience with homeaway, I will only use reputable hotels from now on.

By Erik R. on 7/15/15
Helpful answer

I don't think our guests are aware of the rip-off yet. Look what it took for us to figure out what they are doing.

By Ute C. on 2/24/16
Helpful answer

You can't be certain. They will not assist you if you have a problem with the property. They will do all in their power to prevent you writing a negative review (it's very telling that there are so few negative reviews & those are very mild.) There are many other honorable sites to choose from. Learn from our experiences. Other sites WILL help you if there's a problem. Homeaway won't.

By VS P. on 4/18/15
Helpful answer

At the end of the day, HomeAway is a advertising vehicle for owners to reach guests. Each unit is as good as that owner makes it. I own 11 properties that I list on HomeAway and manage 6 for others. My customers are universally happy with the condos they stay in. At this point there is not much you can do. But I would strongly suggest in the future you speak to the condo owner and ask tough questions. Owners like yours give the rest of us a bad name. It is a shame that a few bad apples can screw things up for the rest of us owners who work very hard to give our guests a great experience!

By Steve L. on 9/12/13
Questions? Get answers from the HomeAway staff and other customers.

29 Photos for HomeAway