Review of HomeAway

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

mw101
3/29/17

More and more people are becoming aware of just how bad VRBO and Homeaway have become. They have consistent treated owners and now travelers miserably. They demonize good owners and make the experience a misery for travelers. From the addition of an ever changing "booking fee" assessed for travelers to pay(supressed intil the end of the booking process and they have your cc to the shameful disregard for the homeowners who provide their inventory. If they actually took some of the money to do what they claim(like protecting the traveler and the homeowner , maybe ok, but they do not. CS is the worst, they use carefully crafted language, avoid answering legitimate questions, ban all negative comments from their social media sites yet do not help homeowners that have been victims of extortion from bad guests leaving threatening bad reviews for refunds. We live in a crazy world but this company is beyond belief.i hope the traveling public wises up. I always will search out the homeowner direct for bookings and i will always book direct with airlines and hotels. They often give travel rewards for loyalty. Bye bye Expedia/Homeaway

ronb103
3/28/17

I have tried everything to reach HomeAway, with no luck.
I even sent a certified letter by mail, and still no reply.
Why is my listing on page 18 in a city that only has 5 rentals with HomeAway ?

missm19
3/28/17

This site makes it incredible easy to find a home a book a rental property however cancelling is nearly impossible. They don't provide a contact number other than that of the owner which in my case went to voicemail every time I called. I would suggest booking only if you are 100% certain you will need the home or are okay with eating the cost. If I could score lower than a 1, I would.

philipm82
3/27/17

I have been with Homeaway for 6 years,I was very please with them til they started on line booking.I was happy with the way things were working out so I didnt get online booking,big mistake starting June 2016 was the last call I got til one in January 2017.I had been getting calls daily and had my place booked ever year til I refuse to join online booking.I had a year contract til April 24 2017 which I payed for,they wanted more money from me with the online booking.I will never use them again and tell everyone not to use them.

denisej35
3/26/17

I own a small cottage on a lake in CT. I was interested in renting it out on a weekly basis for the months of May - October so I joined VRBO (Vacation Rentals By Owner) in 2005 and it was a lovely experience. I paid "X" amount of dollars per year to advertise on this website. When someone was interested in renting they would submit an inquiry to my email. Based on their needs I would submit a response. This personal communication was necessary to let the consumer know what they were getting for their money and sometimes resulted in negotiating different a different price based on their individual requirements. Lately VRBO has been taken over by HomeAway. HomeAway then began to push On-Line booking down my throat. I have no interest in on-line booking and never will but because I have made this decision HomeAway has made it increasingly difficult for me to access my site. They have a pop-up for on-line booking that blocks out your site until you agree to book on-line. They have taken away all the personal communication between me and my customer and have now begun charging my customers a service fee if they book my cottage. When they notify me that my renewal is due they do not supply anything (and I mean NOTHING) indicating changes in the website. I have never signed an agreement with them and when I ask them to supply me a copy of my signed agreement they won't answer me.You only find out about their changes when you access your site and discover that they have taken over your bookings and your money. Customer service is of absolutely NO HELP. The website says they are available 24/7 but that is not true. When you call they tell you they are available Mon - Fri between normal working hours.At times when I have finally gotten through not only have they not helped with my question or problem, they have actually tricked me into agreeing to things I had no intention of agreeing to. BEWARE OWNERS, THESE PEOPLE ARE CROOKS! Google them and read their reviews. I'm not sure who hates them more, the property Owners or the renters!

andrewb199
3/25/17

I spent 3 hours on the phone with this company. They sneak in a 110 fee in my case for nothing. The customer support is awful and they will fight you like crazy for a refund of a charge they have no permission to take out. Dont ever use this company ever ever to book anything. I would give 0 stars if possible

franm19
3/24/17

Crazy bad service. No 2 agents give you the same info to the renter or property owner. Property owner kept denying the reservation because they could not get things correct. In process I'm charged a rental fee for a property that I NEVER rented from them. In fact I have the property reserved through a rental company in the property area. They WILL NOT let you talk to a supervisor and they take you around and around in circles with NOTHING resolved.

svetal
3/24/17

They get into a habit of charging a security deposit, then not returning it until you contact them multiple times. Do not answer e-mail at all, you need to call and spend enormous time on getting your security deposit back. Stay away from them, airbnb.com is so much better.

michellel181
3/23/17

Hey if your a felon, homeaway is the place for you! Book your apartment. Keep your hoodie on so the video cameras don't get a good look at you. You and your friends stay for a few nights in Luxury! When the charge arrives on your cc bill. Just say: "Hey creditors that wasn't me!"
The owner will unlikely dispute it bc disputes come in, not as homeaway but as 'yapstone'. Yapstone also charges a $25 middle man fee to dispute the charge on the hosts behalf - with no guarantees so the host will likely loose everything + $25.
If the host is savvy and disputes your charge. Don't worry. Even though Yapstone claims they're a middle guy working for you, the host, they will treat each dispute from the same felons as a brand new dispute, so the host will have to start all over again and again; so, will eventually give up and loose everything!
That's what they did to me. I LOST $1700+ dollars.

danal41
3/22/17

I booked a vacation through this company to stay at property #255973 for a week. This was booked one week prior to me arriving at the beach house. I had unfortunate events arise and was forced to cancel my trip. I had purchased the trip insurance through Home Away. So I emailed the property owner and he quickly sent me a refund for my 300 dollar deposit and let me know he had a 60 day prior cancellation policy and he was keeping the remainder of my money. He did not send me documentation of this policy until 4 days after accepting my reservation and money.

I have been working with Home Away for 2 weeks now to sort out why my trip insurance is not covering this and how it is acceptable to let me know after taking my money that I would have needed to cancel my trip almost 2 months before making it to qualify. I have heard nothing back from customer service.. I was told an email covering that they said I was getting a refund would be sent after our call and have nothing to show. I have sent in emails waited on hold and still 2 weeks later no refund no communication.

I would not recommend this company for any travel reservations as you are not covered with insurance and will never be able to get any one to return your call or email you if you have any issues.

nicholasm57
3/22/17

I am a home owner that uses homeaway to find vacation renters. I had a bad review left with wrong information so I called to get the review fixed or amended. They said they can't help me. I then ask if I leave a review for a renter would the renter see my ratings. The customer service person said I had complete privacy in this matter. Well I reviewed a renter who left the house a mess and moved all the furniture around. An hour later that renter gave us a poor review with lies given ad the reason for the review. I called the customer service line and find out that the renter can see my review. I ask homeaway to wipe all the reviews clean even my 4 5 star reviews since they told me the wrong info. Nope they can't do anything. I will take my busiNess to airbnb and tripadvisor now.

princek15
3/21/17

I have been a traveler and an owner with HOMEAWAY. They are very deceptive and needs to be investigated. Their fees are way higher then AIRbnb and it is presented in a very deceptive way.

A traveler requested a refund because they didnt realize how far my listing was located from her final destination. Homeaway contacted me after 1.5 weeks and advised me to cancel and I would not face any penalties.

Please see below:

Hello Elane,

Homeaway sent me an email and gave me the option to cancel without any penalties. They should have been did that!! Anyway I processed the refund

Payment Refunded

Reservation Cancelled

Payment 2 cancelled

5 days ago
Payment 2 overdue

6 days ago
Replied
Homeaway support looked through my emails already and they informed me that there is no record of this matter being addressed. I am not going to cancel on my end and face a penalty as I was advised by Homeaway support.
As a matter of fact they informed me that you have the capability to cancel.
You are right, this is ridiculous! You should have planned better! Now I have to deal with my calendar being blocked for you faulty reservation, and now I cannot get another booking for those dates.
Maybe Homeaway owes you, but I do not.

7 days ago
Replied
I have all of my emails stored and saved. That is my proof that I have contacted them.

You or HomeAway has $231.00 of mines for something I was trying to cancel before it was even accepted on your end.

I've CC'd the support center in this email so they can see how ridiculous this is becoming.

Why is is so difficult to cancel this and get my money reimbursed to me???

1 week ago
Hello Elena,
I contacted customer service to obtain guidance on how to cancel this without being penalized. I was informed that I would be penalized if I cancelled on my end. I was instructed that you have to cancel the reservation. I was also informed that there is no record of you addressing this matter with homeaway .
Please let me know what else I can so to resolve this situation.
Thanks MM

1 week ago
Hello,
I received guidance from Customer Support at HomaAway.com. They have informed me that YOU can easily do a cancellation and submit a refund in your end. They also informed me that they do not have the capability to do that, but YOU do.

They further instructed me that if you do not comply, I am to contact them once again to let them know the status and to take further action.

Once again, please cancel this and reimburse me in full for what I had already paid.

Hello,

The pre-approval came in before showing you already paid. Please contact homeaway about this. I am willing to give you a full refund as I do understand there was a misunderstanding. Again homeaway is strict with the owners. I had to cancel once before because of a mix up in dates and they advised me that next time it happens my listing would be banned

Replied
Ok, I cannot make changes to the travel arrangements on my end or I will be penalized and pay a large fee and lose money with the car rental company that I'm switching cars with me as well as changing my daighter flight times so she is not stranded at the airport.

I am going so o contact the Home Away.com people as well as my bank to get this settled. I need to outright cancel this reservation. I will not be staying at that location, I sent a message with ample time requesting that you decline my request, yet you went ahead and approved a request.

I am demanding a refund of the $231.00. You should have declined my request, not accept it.

Replied
Ok thank you for responding. I received all the confirmations via email that your unit rental is confirmed with me. Let me see how I can change the arrival times on my end of things. It's because we are driving from Chicago. I have a training course I need to take in Chicago next week, and I figured since I was all the way out there, I'd change it into a little reunion with my other daughter in NC, and come out and meet her halfway in the NJ/NYC area.

But it's ok, I have faith it will all work out. Maybe I will leave Chicago earlier on the 15th instead and stop overnight, and continue on early morning on the 16th until we get there to the NJ area.

Thank you again-I will figure it out. I will also send you the final payment by the due date of 3/13.

Hello,

I do understand. If i cancel it on my end I will be penalized. Homeaway should take care of it or advise us what to do.

Thx

Payment request sent
Quote sent Details
Payment request sent - 2 payments Details

You responded within 17 hours.

Reservation Request Accepted
Dear Elena Fragas,

I have confirmed your reservation at property 4242576 for Mar 16, 2017 - Mar 20, 2017.

As a reminder, your payment has been processed and will appear as PAY*HOMEAWAY on your statement.
I will be in contact with you prior to your arrival with access instructions.

Please let me know if you have any questions regarding your upcoming stay.

Sincerely,
moses merisier

Replied
Hello, I apologize, I need to cancel this request. Because I am traveling from Chicago the week prior for a business trip - and driving- I did not realize that the drive time from Chicago would be 12 hours to Irvington NJ! I did not realize this when I requested booking. Please decline or cancel my request. This will not work at all for I need to get my daughter and her baby from the airport. My travel plans have changed. I do hope you understand.

Thank you in advance! I already contacted homeaway and explained and they informed me that I was to send you a message here on the website.

Reservation Request
Hi! My name is Elena, and I.l be traveling from Hawaii with my granddaughter and my daughter. We are meeting one of my other daughters and her two children (a 6yr old and an infant) in the Jersey/NYC area. We haven't seen her for almost 6 years since she moved! We are so excited to be traveling to the area-it is a first time for all of us! We do hope you consider accepting the request to rent.

Thank you!
Elena

This was the email from Homeaway that advised me to cancel without facing any penalties:

This is a courtesy email from HomeAway Customer Support. We received notification from a booked guest of yours, Elena Fragas, ResID: HA-YK0P2P. She relayed to us that she needed to cancel and that you agreed to give a full refund, but you were worried about getting penalized for canceling the reservation. Rest assured, you will not get penalized for canceling a reservation that has already been accepted. The traveler cannot cancel the reservation and HomeAway Customer Support cannot cancel on her behalf. Only the property owner can cancel a booked reservation. I've included instructions below on how to cancel a reservation and how to give a full refund. If you have further questions, feel free to reach out to us at: (877) 228-3145. We are available 24/7.

shelbys22
3/19/17

I travel frequently and usually book with airbnb but for spring break most spaces were booked up so I decided to book a house with HomeAway and I absolutely regret it and would never do it again.

Prior to my arrival I paid my first installment for the home of $107. I then owed $192 which would bring my total to $299. After my stay I would receive $100 back as a refundable damage deposit.

The night I stayed at the home by bank account was charged $280. Nearly the total of what it should have costed AND the payment was unauthorized. I called HomeAway and they told me there was nothing they could do for me. A few days later, my account was charged another $244 unauthorized. Again, HomeAway told me there was nothing they could do and that I still owed them money.

This one night stay ended up costing me $631 when it should have rightfully cost me $199. I filed a dispute with my bank and am still waiting to receive my money back. HomeAway is such a joke. I'm disappointed.

hiramc9
3/19/17

Had so many problems with my reservation, do not use this website. I have never been treated like this by any managers or employees of any company.

krish182
3/19/17

We booked for the end of May 2017 but had to cancel reservation 75 days in advance due to family illness. We paid down $376.68 that was the Damage deposit and Service Fee. I understood between 60 to 90 day cancellation there was $100 charge +3% merchant charge.. Apparently from what I read after the fact if I am refunded partial payment from property owner the Service Fee will no be refunded. If I am refunded all payments then service fee is refunded....Not Sure who's scamming who but I cancelled 75 days in advance enough time to reschedule property during peak time and I had to pay $231.68 for a 75 day in advance cancellation. I know property owner is not a full fault here but I will never use Homeaway.com or VRBO.com again. I will find property owner and /or property manager and deal with them directly. I never read anywhere during booking that Homeaway would not refund there fees...

johno141
3/17/17

I cancelled 1 day after booking - took owner 7 days to cancel and then after ~10 emails back and forth the owner told me to call homeaway to figure it out. Every time I called HomeAway there was at least a 15 minute wait and then when I finally got through I could not understand the reps and their solution was for me to call the owner

peterp142
3/17/17

No matter what your complaints, it will take forever to solve your problems. Once your money was in the their hands consider it's gone. You have to solve your problems on the spot, if you leave you lost. We stay at 2326 Naomi st. Houston TX.77054 .on the day we check in ,we found out some minor problems( shortage of supplies, garage door control not function properly,no light inside , whistling noise and cold windfrom window as a result of poor management. On the next day, there was no water,we contact the owner, but none of our requests were fullfilled. The closets were all full of owner clothes and shoes...ect... i m not sure this is legitimate. A day later the owner texted us and said he lost the music instrument from Turkey of 750.00 U.S but we are from Viet Nam? Then he contact homeaway not to return our deposit the amount of 300 without any investigated and they even try to charge a full price . But Homeaway did not listen to our complaints or respond to us. All they did was to ensure they withdraw your money . Now it seemed that the owner and Homeaway employees had planned to scam us. They kicking back and forth until you get tired and give up then they took your deposit. This is a very serious crimes but it still goes on ,no one stop it. Nobody can help and no other can give you a satisfied solutions. You have to be alert and be smart, or you screwed. I dont even want to rate this site but if you not click you cant submiitted

elenas52
3/16/17

False price listings, false availabilities, and bull$#*! customer service. Don't waste your time. I tried to get 4 houses in Orlando, were told they were available, and was then told either that they were not, or the price was close to double what they'd advertised. Stay away.

michaels579
3/15/17

First off, what ever your read on the website is not true as it relates to availability. I had over 20 tries of renting a condo in Palm Springs area that the site said where available only to find out they were not. So what you see is a fiction novel.

My true horror story is that I rented a condo that showed available. It had a payment schedule that stated basically 1/3 1/3 and a final 1/3 would be required over the course of 10 months. I was booking a rental 1 year in advance. As I monitored the transaction the entire rental amount was charged to my account within 20 minutes. I called the phone number on my emailed receipt and was told "oh that was a mistake" we will cancel the transaction". (It was not an in significant amount by the way.) They also said we cannot take this reservation because it's only for a week. So they not only took the full charged amount in monies but also would not rent me the place. Be warned, stay away from this fiasco!

fucky74
3/14/17

My son arrived two days before we were scheduled to arrive in Cabo San Lucas. We had reservations at Lucia's Ideal condo thru Home Away. Both Home Away and Lucia's were completely unresponsive. DO NO use Home Away and Stay away from Lucia's Ideal Condo in Cabo San Lucas. We were frantic to get a room for our son. Over one hour on hold to talk to a human at Home Away and Lucia never returned a phone call.

cameronl15
3/14/17

They fail to let you know about the "service fee." A day later I noticed that they took $85 OFF MY CARD! For 3 days now I have tried getting the money back but there customer service numbers put you on hold for 20 minutes and the people helping you barely speak English so you can understand how hard it is to figure this out.

jonb93
3/13/17

DO NOT USE HOME AWAY THEY WILL RUIN YOUR DREAMS OF A GREAT HOLIDAY!!!AVOID AT ALL COST!!!
THEY HAVE MUCKED US ABOUT SO MUCH THEY REALLY DONT CARE. IF THE REQUEST OVER THE PHONE BECOMES COMPIICATED THEY JUST SAY THE VILLA HAS BEEN LET..THEY ALSO GAVE ME THE OWNERS PHONE NUMBER IN CYPRUS ASKING ME TO PHONE THEM AND CHECK IF THE VILLA WAS AVAILABLE THEN RING THEM BACK AND LET THEM KNOW SO THEY COULD THEN TAKE THE £70.00 FROM ME FOR THERE PART IN THE BOOKING??? WHAT AN ABSOLUTE SHAMBLES!!

davidb655
3/11/17

Just try to book a place for your vacation. You are a hard working decent family trying to find an affordable vacation. Do not use HomeAway. Even if you book out 6 to 8 months and the website says the place is available, they owners do not respond, lie and say it is already rented or not available, or change the terms and say you now have to rent a week or longer if you want to stay. Sheer Sh*t. Other sites are more honest.

josephb155
3/11/17

Have been disappointed with this site and service from the beginning. It´s night and day from the other sites (especially airbnb) If you can avoid it, do!

Tip for consumers: I think it might be ok for guests? Have only used it as an owner and if we could give it 0 stars, we would.

thierryd2
3/11/17

I am property manager and I use to advertise on many websites. Homeaway is one of the worst, their hotline is inefficient and they use to hang up when it is a little bit annoying for them.
3 important issues with them recently (among many others for which I could complain...) :
1) they are late to pay the rental to the owner, my guest left one week ago and I did not receive the payment yet... they say they are sorry they have had a technical pb and are late... inacceptable.
2) i refunded one of my guest of the damage deposit using their apps and they did not debit my account yet after 10 days... They said my guest is credited already, truth or not ? It's weird again.
3) i had two times thieves trying to rent with a stolen credit card number... unfortunately The first time I was not vigilant and i welcome the guest who let the apt very dirty... one month later Homeaway send me a charge back and debited my account of the total amount of the rental... 1000$! They said the card holder complain and that was a fraud... and there is nothing I could do, my complain was not accepted by the card holder bank and I just lost the money.
Just because, as incredible it can be, Homeaway does not check the ID of the guest when they book and pay online!!! Even for important amount ! Any thief can use a stolen credit card number and book online... there is more and more thiefs knowing this weakness and trying to abuse owners... on Homeaway website. I had one case again this week, this time I was warning because the person who booked was not the person who paid...?! (BTW Homeaway does not care about that... ) so I asked for the ID copy and I did not receive anything... of course! Just bla bla...So I cancelled this booking!
Owners! Be very careful! ask that the person who books is the person who pays and is the person present at check in. Also ask to the guest to sign a rental agreement at check in and check his identity. Because if you have a charge back by the card holder Homeway payments and Homeway will let you alone to fight ! And you will loose your money !
Homeaway is doing worst and worst and even If I still have some bookings with them (less and less but still...) I am seriously thinking to leave them and stop to advertise for the 10 properties I still have with them...
Frankly since Expedia bought this company 4 billions dollars ( for a company which win 17 millions dolars per year... yes you are not dreaming ...) the quality of service is worst. If the management thinks they are going to make more profit and win the battle against new company like Airbnb working so bad, they are just dreaming very strongly ( to be polite ...)
It's still time to react before your company definitely be deleted from the market ...

1 rating was submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

89 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the HomeAway staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question