US Government’s NSF

Detailed Rating Summary

tinar64
8/26/16

WORST SERVICE EVER!
Long story short - my $250 weekend turned instantly into $633.50 charge on my debit card (with no 'review charges before submitting' option). The owner said the dates were not available and it was an error on the site that it showed as available. Now I have $633.50 missing from my bank account that I must wait for DAYS to be returned to me. Hope they are having fun with my money these few days! Oh, and they told me they could give me a 'release code' to give to my bank to get the charges back right away, but my bank said it's not possible as they didn't put a "hold" on my card, they ACTUALLY CHARGED MY CARD. BEWARE!! HORRIBLE COMPANY!

tonys137
8/23/16

i made reservations to rent a specific apartment months prior to my departure, as I was taking my entire family on a European vacation. We ultimately rented an apartment online, and had several follow up conversations with a company called "Home Away. The reservation was secured on May 4, 2016. The stay was for July 25th, 2016. My family and I left the United States, and landed in Paris early Monday morning, July 25. We had traveled for approximately 24 hours straight, and were jet lagged and tired. We wanted to simply get to our apartment as soon as possible to shower and to rest. As my family and I arrived in Paris, I checked my emails and saw that nothing had been sent to me regarding any changes in our accommodations that we had already paid for. There were 8 of us traveling and, as such, I secured an apartment that had 4 bedrooms in order to accommodate all of us. Unbeknownst to me, the driver who picked us up had been given a different address than the one I had been provided. It was pure coincidence that it even came up. I immediately contacted the person representing the owner of the apartment, who casually advised me that our apartment was no longer available. Until that moment, there had been no effort by anyone related to the apartment we had paid for, that it was not available. According to Fredereic, the representative, there was damage to the apartment such that we could not stay there. Frederic then advised that the driver was taking us to a different apartment to see if we liked it. I asked how many bedrooms there were, and confirmed that Frederic knew there were 8 of us traveling. The new apartment only had 3 bedrooms, and not enough beds for all of us to sleep. Frederic then suggested that he could go buy a couple of air mattresses and put them in the living room. I expressed, in an undeniably frustrated tone, that 3 bedrooms and air mattresses was clearly NOT what I had bargained for. He said that was the best he could do.

Literally,and they had a much smaller apartment for us to stay in. The apartment was not going to accommodate myself and my family as there was 8 of us traveling together. We were left to find another place to stay. While in the car on the way to this unseen and unknown apartment, I worked with my assistant in the U.S. to locate alternative accommodations. (I woke my assistant up at 3am my time to help me). I found a hotel that had 4 rooms available, and ended up staying there, at a rate significantly higher than what I was going to pay for the apartment.

I attempted to call the owner of the property to discuss the issue and to discuss a refund and, to date, there has been no return telephone call. We have left numerous voicemails. Having no other alternative, I disputed the charge directly through Citi bank. In its simplest form, I paid in advance for an apartment rental, and the persons from whom I rented it told me it was no longer available. Frankly, any effort on their part to keep any portion of the money would be fraudulent at best.

thereseo1
8/21/16

We had the pleasure of spending a week in early August,2016 at the Johnson Homestead on Bailey Island in Maine. The home was wonderful , spacious and located in a spectacular setting: near the end of the island, it is quiet and restful. The family members were very helpful throughout our stay. Local shopping for necessities and reasonably priced restaurants were just a few miles away.

We hope to return often !

amandab143
8/21/16

Please stay away from this site. They charged me for a rental i never rented which in turn froze my account.

jeffb165
8/19/16

I've been a vacation property owner on HomeAway for over 7 years and was always very pleased with my guest's and my listing success. Now that they have started charging these new fees from the guest. I have been having to deal with guest complaints about their fees not being clarified up front along with the rental rates being jacked up from what is listed. In addition I am having problems with getting information on when I will get paid from HomeAway for guest who paid HomeAway for their stay in my property. This is resulting in numerous emails back and forth with guest's and HomeAway reps. Very frustrated!!

taylork22
8/17/16

Beach Glass rentals in Geneva-on-the Lake Ohio. Clean new apartment, Close to activities on the strip. Everything new and up to date. Had a good time and would definitely return.

janb72
8/15/16

We have rented 3 times - they have all been unsatisfactory. I will never use them or vrbo again.

marciab16
8/13/16

VRBO is owned by HomeAway, which is owned by the online travel agent (OTA) Expedia, which also owns Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, Trivago, and others worldwide. It is now their business to generate revenue at every opportunity. Owners pay a fee, customers [now] pay a fee, credit card fees are charged, "service fee" may be hard to recover when cancellations occur, and owner flexibility is limited by cancellation policies now restricted to models set by HomeAway. HA sells trip insurance from its affiliate (read it carefully) and the new service fee of 4-9% purports to "protect" guest, but as you can see from these comments -- HA has little ability to respond meaningfully. Communication between Owners and Guests is restricted through HA, since it wants to control that process through its online portal. Be aware that HA listings are sometimes highjacked by others. You might Google a property by name to find it on other sites, or an owner operated web site. A legitimate VRBO/HA listing owner will make themselves available, will answer your questions, will assist you with special requests/information about the area, and SHARES your desire that there is a true match between your requirements and their rental property. If anything about your contact with an owner gives you the creeps -- drop the property and book elsewhere. The owner will do the same if they sense unreasonable demands or misrepresentation from you, or any sense that you are witholding information about your party or how you plan to use the property. We all want a successful booking and a great vacation for you. Help us make that happen, ok?

moisesb7
8/11/16

We got what we need, quick, nice, clean. We assure to stay another full month next summer or earlier if possible ar Beachwalk and dealing with Regina Zinguer.
Facebook: zinguerrealestate

billyr33
8/10/16

I've been waiting on a refund since the 4 of July they keep giving you the run around every time. it's not a good place to do busy with everytime its away something if you can find someone else do it if not it will happen sooner or later.i wish you guys have a 0 that would be it

carolynb64
8/9/16

Rented 3 Rue a Portalet in Banyuls des Aspres, Upon getting into the property late (we had asked to change our check-in time and this was accommodated but then the real estate agent Heidi Prag came 1 hr and 30 min later than our agreed time. As it was later in the evening and time to eat we did a quick check-in. She had us provide the damage deposit, she gave us keys and she very quickly walked us through the property, She said her Saturdays are very busy and she usually checks in/out 10 groups. She was in a hurry to get the process done and her husband/boyfriend was waiting in the double parked car. I went to start making supper and when I took out some dishes and plates I noticed they were not clean (every single plate and cup I took out). There was tomato sauce on the lid of a pot so at that point I was pretty certain I needed to wash anything I was going to use. As we were hungry and I needed to feed my family, I proceeded to clean items so we could eat dinner. As we sat at the living room table after supper I noticed something on the table. I took out a lysol wipe and wiped it and it was black. ****What is key to note is that we were asked to sign an 8 page contract. It went into great detail about the cleaning that was required on check-out. As we were asked to sign this months before taking the apartment, this gave us confidence that we would be renting a very clean apartment. We were very wrong. As this property does not have wifi, and we are Canadian and do not have a European data plan, we could not let Heidi know of our problems until a few days later. She did not say much at that time. One day with less than 24hr notice she asked if she could enter the apartment with a plumber to fix something. When we arrived back there was something that appeared like glass in the sink and we realized the plumber and/or Heidi had made a full pot of coffee using the coffee beans we had brought from home due to sensitivity issues to caffeine. We thoroughly cleaned the property as was required of us in the contract and in an effort to ensure we would receive our 400 Euro cash damage deposit. When we asked for some form of compensation due to the hours we required to clean the place upon our arrival so we could enjoy it, Heidi declined. We also had an issue with a neighbor as they were upset with us (and Heidi) for the state of the garbage. It had not been taken to the square for removal on garbage day. This was disappointing as the garbage was overflowing upon our arrival. We had to take our garbage to other towns for disposal as there was no room in the bins provided, NOR did Heidi tell us anything about them. I later found a book in the apartment that spoke about garbage day. Heidi also claimed the book said if you had a problem with the property you were to call her within 24 hours of check-in. In the end she said that's what the contract said, and therefore she provided no compensation to us whatsoever. One last problem with this rental was that we were provided with the owner's bank account for payment. After paying a fee at my own bank Heidi informed me their bank charged $20 Euros and we had to pay this fee as well. I did not believe that to be correct when they provided the bank numbers for deposit. If that is a fee they have to pay they should NOT pass that on to the customer, rather that is a fee they have to pay to do business. OVERALL very disappointed with this Homeaway experience. Hours of my holiday lost to clean an apartment that according to the 8 page contract was to be spotless. Maybe if Heidi Prag wasn't checking in 10 customers on one day she could take more time to explain things and actually go through the property to see it meets the standards they claim they will have in the contract. She also could explain things like garbage day. I feel bad for the actual residents on this street as I'm sure they put up with overflowing garbage on a regular basis.

denisek37
8/9/16

Ever since Homeway took over for VRBO it has been a nightmare. The website is very confusing, they have insinuated themselves between the Owner and the Renter. I opted to decline on-line booking and on-line payments and thank
God I did judging by the horrible reviews but in doing so they are now jamming their offers down my throat by blocking access to my website which I paid for, by sending a pop-up for on-line booking that cannot be removed unless you begin the process. I tried calling Owner support for assistance and even though they advertise 24 hour support the message said they were closed for training and would open again at the top of the hour. Which hour?? I have been receiving this message for the last 3 hours and still cannot access my site. The message apologizes for the inconvenience and suggests you email however the email button is blacked out and not usable. I have had it with their interference and strong-arm tactics. From what I can see no one wants to use them to advertise and no one wants to use them to rent from. I am looking elsewhere to advertise my beautiful lakeside cottage. They should be ashamed for taking peoples and delivering such terrible service

pt43
8/9/16

As a home owner and customer of HA for 10 years, we went from booking solid every season, to struggling this year! Booking fees, confusing website, customer service who claims they have improved everything... How did they ruin such a good thing????? So disappointed. We refuse to charge our customers the booking fee and are changing to another booking site. Absolutely wrong.

randyr32
8/8/16

Home away web sight is totally unsecure!! Scam artist intercepted my request and I lost $1300 and my family vacation! They take no responsibility and blame owners computer! Can I sue them both in small claims court?

patrickd40
8/8/16

I was a homeaway owner for about 4-5 years. It was great. The site was extremely user friendly and i had absolutely not a single problem. The last year have been a DISASTER. Their new system charges absurd fees. The site itself is not user friendly at all. I cant tell who has paid, and who hasnt. My income and vacancy are down almost 25%. Multiple calls to customer service people who pass you to someone else and nobody can help you. MOving to air b and b soon.

ngoct2
8/6/16

please help me you take my money in my visa card but not accept room for me, why??? please answer me

catg4
8/5/16

I am on terminal hold with your representative in my third call. You put a hold of over $5000 on my credit card and refuse to release the funds. I've asked three times to have the call escalated to a supervisor, the first time they sent me to main queue, the second time they disconnected the call, and now they've put me on hold for almost 15minutes without returning. If this is how you treat customers I will tell the world.

C.L. Morgan, MD

Update: the representative has since returned to the call and said that she "cannot" forward the call to a supervisor and placed me back on hold after I again requested a supervisor.

jm239
8/4/16

Terrible system that withdraws money from your card upon request for reservation then takes 72 hours to have money return.
Advice: change to have money withdrawn upon request acceptance.
How can I look to book another place if the money I had put away is sitting in limbo!!!

joyceh50
8/2/16

When I tried to pay the deposit on the home, our credit card was declined. My CC company said it was declined because it looked like suspicious activity because funds were coming out of Dublin, Ireland. When I contacted HomeAway the Customer Service Rep told me funds are generated where the homeowner lives. Recommended I contact homeowner to confirm he is the owner and it is a legitimate rental. Assured me I can "Book with confidence". I contacted the owner. He was fantastic. He didn't have any idea why anything would come from Ireland because he lives in Canada. We finally were able to book the house. After our stay and receiving my CC statement, there were 3 separate "Foreign Transaction Fee's on our statement. The fee's were 1% of each transaction. When I contacted HomeAway and quickly referred me to VRBO payment processing department. Jennifer at VRBO payment processing dept., tried her best to help me. She was the only one throughout this whole mess who was willing to take the time to try and resolve my problem. She also stated the owner is on an "International Platform" and HomeAway/VRBO has an International in Dublin, Ireland. She was unsuccessful because they are a 3rd party billing to HomeAway. We did a 3 way call with HomeAway. HomeAway still could not give any reason for the charge and acted as if they never heard of these charges. I was then told to fill out an email with requested information and someone would get back to me. I spoke with the owner of the house again. I told him about these fee's and asked him if he banks in Canada? He doesn't have any International banking associated to his house he advertises on HomeAway/VRBO. I filled out the requested information along with letting them know about the owner. Their response "Contact the VRBO Payment Processing Dept.". I have been given the runaround! They do not stand behind their guarantee! Their employee's are not trained well and barely speak English, except for Jennifer! I will never book again through this company!!

judyj24
8/1/16

Property #-713894- "Blue Paradise" Galveston, Texas -This large beach house was portrayed as perfect for our large family vacation! We didn't know it was over 20 miles to a grocery store! Only small convenient store close by with exorbitant prices! We find out the day before we leave that only 4 vehicles are allowed to be parked at the property!! It's your problem to find a place to park the extra cars or get towed! (VERY INCONVIENENT!!) The house was MUCH further from the beach than the website pics showed! The angle of the pic was very deceptive. Be prepared to walk a loooong way and carry coolers, supplies etc. back and forth. The house is located in a resort area and showed the pool and and other activities for kids close by within walking distance... NOT! It is over a mile away. We had to load up everyone and drive, then find a parking place. (Or you could walk a mile down the beach to get there) A big inconvenience when dealing with a large group of people. One bunk bed room is very small and again the pic on the website was deceiving. Two bathrooms are so small you can barely turn around in them. The other two bathrooms were very large and nice. This was not shown on website. The wifi did not work at all the entire time we were there. All the extra fees were ridiculous! We had 2 extra small children going and were charged an additional $1,000 deposit!!!!! We did get it back, but it was so excessively outrageous!!! Our family definitely expected more for over $5,000 for 5 days!!!! Will never use Homeaway ever!!!

prescottc
7/30/16

homeaway has caused havoc in my 2016 rental season getting between the renter and tenant increasing rental costs by charging tenant 100 dollar fees and squeezing the consumer will not renew subscription and these changes made without feedback this is what ios wrong with corporate america

lesliec53
7/29/16

We carefully planned a trip to Italy. In January 2016, I reserved two apartments - one in Florence and the other in Rome for a July 2016 vacation. I conversed through the site with the owners, and I made all payments on time. Less than a month before the trip, the Florence apartment cancelled our three night reservation. I was left to scramble to find new accommodations. The day we were leaving The United States for Rome, the Rome apartment cancelled our reservation for five nights. I had to quickly secure accomodations before boarding our plane. Customer service at Home Away provided little help. It took days for our money to be refunded through our credit card. We were left with last minute accomodations at greater expense. I have rented accomodations throughout Europe through different companies in the past without problems. Both my rentals with Home Away resulted in last minute cancellations. Stay away!

Tip for consumers: Do not use this website to book your vacation.

ralphe17
7/29/16

Aside for charging a listing fee,they now charge a processing fee to the traveler. This is not justified and owners lose bookings,because traveler sees one rate ,but when trying to book finds out that there is an extra fee not expected. They should warn traveler first ,that they will charge a processing fee. Unfair and unjust.

jimc153
7/26/16

To be fair the property I rented out from these guys was fine. But there was an issue with the bill and when I tried to call it was a complete joke. 2hrs spent being passed around various (offshore) departments who all asked the same questions and still didn't even get close to a resolution.

jessr28
7/22/16

Becarful when you try to get a rental they want credit card at front .later they say is not available and still charge charge me 1432.00 to my credit card and the owners are overseas im still battling to get my credit card charge taken away

66 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the HomeAway staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question