US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

billm183
1/23/17

I tried to book a couple condo/houses for our vacation in Phoenix area. I sent seven interest e-mails to owners. Two responded wanting me to do business outside the site the other five did not respond. DO NOT USE THESE GUYS!!!

thuyt4
1/22/17

If I can give it a zero rating, I would. I have listed my home for 3 years through Homeaway. During the first 2, prior to Homeaway being acquired from Expedia, I received numerous inquiries especially for the winter months. If you were to search for our listing then, you would have come across it after maybe the 6th page. Now that Expedia has taken over, our inquiries are nonexistent. When we try now to do a search to see where our listing comes up, it is commingled with properties in surrounding areas that our listing comes up after the 60th page. I know that if I were searching, I wouldn't be spending my time scrolling through 60 pages to find a suitable rental. It makes sense now why we don't get any inquiries. On top of that, they now charge this "service fee" to our renters which was not part of it previously. Therefore, in order for your listing to be appealing, you have to reduce your rental charge to account for the service fee that Homeaway is now benefiting from. What was once a user friendly software for your average home owner and a great place for renters to use, has turned into a commercialized site benefitting Expedia. Unfortunately, I don't find the competitors like Airbnb any better. I hope that someone will develop a better model for owners/renters.

rochellev1
1/20/17

Airbnb will withold payments even though your guests have paid they refuse to pass it on and make up all sorts of excuses and you never get your money and your guest pays them and they reap the rewards of you giving up your property to short stay guest

Tip for consumers: be careful

karenm296
1/18/17

I received one bad review under my vacation home at homeaway website.
The review is fraud. This guest never stayed at my unit and never booked with me either. Homeaway just simply publish it without confirming with owner.
I called customer service who was not willing to help and said nothing they can do, they had to create ticket with production team to investigate. No ETA either. It may take a week or two .
So bad review just stay there, even it is not true.
This seriously impact your business.

aprilb61
1/18/17

We stayed on what was advertised as a high rise boat and it was nothing short of a HUD property with beds that were put together with couch cushions, old mildewed pillows, dog beds by your pillows, broken glass, outlets not working, tv not working, sticky notes for instructions and much more.

teresar46
1/12/17

Nope, l think l got the info l needed just reading the customer reviews. Sounds like you guys need to get your crap together.

Tip for consumers: Sounds like extreme caution should be used when dealing with this company. I know l will never take a chance on them.

carolk62
1/11/17

I booked a cottage for the Christmas holiday through HomeAway. Even though the dates said it was available, I got a response back from the owner that it was already booked. I had given my credit card info to HomeAway so I calledl them right away to let them know I wasn't able to rent and not to charge my card. They assured me it would be fine. As it turns out I didn't get charged for the rental but I was charged a service fee of $90 Canadian. I called to make sure I would be refunded and was told that in up to 14 days I would be automatically refunded. That was 6 weeks ago and no refund. I tried to call their 1-877-228-3145 today and it is out of service. I have given up on this but be warned not to deal with this company. By the looks of the other reviews, this is a common occurrence with this company.

susanb237
1/11/17

Stayed in Saugatuck Mi over the holidays, cold house, no installation, lots of problems. My review was Never Posted....Makes me think you cant trust home away to tell the truth.

martinl91
1/9/17

I let out 2 properties in the Dordogne, France. I completely agree with all the criticisms leveled by the posts on this page. I was a very satisfied customer of Owners Direct until the US take overs. Now you are forced to comply with HomeAway and their money grabbing system or you get penalised and your property slips so far down the ratings that you get almost no enquiries (apart from the scams).
Today I discovered that you also lose between 2% and 4.7% in an invisible "transaction charge" if you allow your customer to pay by credit card, which you are coerced to do to if you want to keep your rating position. Total ripoff.
My last 2 bookings have been very confused by the booking process, and time and goodwill has been wasted trying to sort it out.
It's a greedy business model, and I hope people migrate away from it. I will be checking out alternative sites - any recommendations appreciated.

jareda5
1/7/17

Booked a house in October for two families for Dec 28-30. Owner cancelled on me on Dec 23rd. Never got a full refund. When the owner cancelled, I called home away to book a new house and since I hadn't gotten any money back yet I expected them to at least waive their booking fee. Manager told me that their "system" won't allow them to do that. Been three weeks, 5 phone calls, and about 4 hours on the phone, still haven't recieved a full refund. Again I'm told their "system" can't refund me, the owner has to. Their "system" had no problem taking $1011 out of my account within 2 hours of me booking. Funny how that works. Never again.

sandrar90
1/6/17

Reserved a place in Florida for March. Home Away failed to inform me that the property manager did not contact them to approve the rental so the reservation was cancelled.Yet, they charged my credit card three times even though the reservation was cancelled. Took 1 1/2 hours on the phone to try to straighten out the mess. I never received an email about the cancelled reservation and no one could tell me why. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

bodvarv
1/5/17

We stayed at Vista Cay, 5036 Shoreway Loop #306, Orlando FL 32819 the second time in October/November last year. Needless to say, we feel like at home when we are there. The condo fulfills all our utmost needs, The area, location and the interior, there are no weak links. We gladly recommend this property to anyone who are looking for a very nice vacation. Bodvar Valgeirsson and family.

cindyf41
1/3/17

3832999...Nice unit, great pool, and access to the beach..but, the unit is advertised as 2 master bedrooms..actually, just one, and the other is just a smaller bedroom with a kingsize bed, bath in the hallway, and the main bath for the lower level..hardly private. Two couples looking for 2 master suites will be terribly disappointed.

laurao32
1/3/17

Deceptive way to tag on that impressive "service" fee... would be nice for you to list it as a "home away" service fee at check out so when the suckers who check their bank statements and realize that "service" fee went to home away and not the owners/management they thought it was going to, they could have the option to just go through the owner or simply find a different property - it's not that I don't mind paying a fee, I'd just like the option to decide whom I pay a "service" fee to and whether that fee is justified or not. Also, a tiny question mark right by it is a pretty pathetic way to save your butts and say that you 'told us so' as it's tagged on at the end and people can easily miss it as they are checking out. That's what I think about that. I probably wouldn't have complained or even cared if it was presented in a straight forward - shall we say honest way at check out. When I tip someone I like to know I'm tipping them! What a concept right!? Not impressed....Happy new year!

katiet34
1/3/17

I've advertised my Cape Cod home with them for more than 20 years with great success. They have now raised their rates and buried my listing because I do not do on-line bookings whereby they lose revenue. After reading these reviews I'm glad I cancelled my subscriptions. I'm going to Airbnb and Craigslist?

craigw57
1/2/17

Having advertised successfully for two years, we now find bookings have diminished massively.

Arrogant company that are destroying a once great platform for us all. I really hope the recently launched simplyowners.co.uk is a success.

I shall not be renewing my subscription in March

richardh211
1/1/17

The appartment near Vatican City is nice, nice and cold!!!
Checked in at 16.5 c.  After waiting outside for 40 minutes, we were 30 minutes early and notified both the Location Manager and the key holder that we were ahead of schedule.  The key holder arrived 10 minutes late to the 4pm check in time.   We were stuck on the street in cold windy weather with my 3 teenage daughters and my 80 year old parents.

The appartmnet is  so dark that the key holder asked for our flashlight to take pictures of our passports... huh? She left a bag of garbage at our door on her way out.  What??? Who does that? One set of keys for 7 people really limits our groups flexibility. I was told that is policy (not at my rentals).
Our 7 bodies warmed the palce to 16.7 (62f) before we left for dinner.  Came back 2 hours later and back to 16.5c.  Text to LOM and Petra  no reaponse.  Called back to US and Ginger listened and said she would take action.

At 802pm we notified vacasa the heat was in adequate. We received a text at 926om saying keyholder is on way.  At 937pm someone from vacasa called about the pool being 80 degrees... really?
The web site claims that the reaponse time is "Within an hour", not so.

Showers are eradicatic at best.  Per my 16 year old daughter, it started off OK and then got freezing cold, back to normal and the scalding hot and jump out of the shower.  My 78 year old mother could not get any hot water in her bathroom and gave up on the shower.
We now have the stove on to generate heat in the apartment...
after 2 hours, a man showed up...not the key holder and 2 minutes later we have heat!   He went in to a locked closet and turned it on (no check lists aparently)

2nd daughter tried to shower and turns water on to warm up.  Sits on lav and water is spraying on her head because shower hose is out of head connection, spraying over the shower enclosure...

Ginger called back from US, she was most understanding.  Offered us $100.  Told her i just wanted adequate accomodations for the $500+ per night. And this is not that.

She offered me the customer satisfaction survey and curtly hung up.    Still waiting for the survey...

This is not the way that I want to be treated or would ever treat my guests at our rental properties...

It is finally up to 65 at 11pm.  Mother and wife are still freezing. Too cold and tired to leave and head to Marriott.

Be warned, this is NOT WHAT YOU ARE EXPECTING!!!! NEVER, EVER AGAIN WITH THIS COMPANY!!!

valeries46
1/1/17

OUTRAGEOUS.....was charged $500 by HA because I prefer to handle my own monies and business after 20 successful years doing so. without pay on line. Inquiries dropped 90% this year because my ad for 1 br was put at the bottom of hundreds of others and mixed in w/ 5 other towns. If by some miracle, a renter clicked on, there was a notice saying that this owner does not use our pay plan so basically infers that renter is unprotected...also shows 3 other choices ON MY PAGE but no mention is made that no fees are charged when not using pay plan.....just charge owners more, hide their listings, suggest they may be suspect and lie about better service and more advtg. Criminal.

alenal5
12/31/16

It may look very good and attractive, but you always have to have a back up plan with this site. We reserved a one bedroom condo more than 24h in advance, and there was no confirmation answer nor from owner nor from the site. They still check if we have an available amount of funds (charging the amount on the credit card) , but they do not say that we got the appartment. This ruined badly our plans leaving us desperately waiting for the answer from the owner until the last minute. Finally we had to find a hotel room which was something we did not want to do. Super irresponsible as service. Never fully trust it.

joey417
12/29/16

I recommend you don't ever try renting with Home away. They ask for your credit card information before the rental is approved by the owner, and say it will be scratched if the rental is declined. The rental was declined because the cottage was already booked by a different site. My credit card was still charged the "SERVICE FEE" OF 82.99 which is complete bull$#*!. I have called Home Away Customer Service about 5 different times and keep being told the same thing... "Your credit card will be refunded within 3-5 business days". It's now been 15 business days since the property was declined.. complete BULL$#*!

charlieu
12/27/16

HomeAway property # 959594 ...As an American visiting Guadeloupe, I was up for the challenge. We had a great property, spoke limited French, but that's part of the adventure.
Long story short, the owner charged us $360 dollars because his automatic roll up window stopped working. One turns on a switch, a light goes on. One turns on a switch, the roll up , rustic, rusty aluminum window goes up. Apparently, when one neglects their property, they hold the renters responsible. His wife, Dominique was apologetic...she knew were inconvenienced all week. Pierre did not think so.
Beware.....

anthonyg20
12/26/16

This company is really something! They tell you that you have to request a reservation and that the owner has 24 hours to reply. They take your credit card and tell you that you will not be charged. They then immediately get an authorization from your credit card company, before they even know if the home is available. This authorization reduces your credit on your card by the full amount of the booking plus fees, taxes, cleaning fees and, security deposit. Then the owner rejects the reservation because the home has already been booked for the dates that you requested on another site. Home Away then tells you, "oh yes you will get your credit back in 7 to 10 days (depending on your banks policies)". When they let you know that the owner has rejected your request they tell you a lie, "your credit card has not been charged". However they are just playing with words because in fact their authorization already reduced your credit availability by the full amount of the charge for a home that Home Away actually did not have available to rent to you! Now if as I did you make multiple reservation requests for different homes all of which, are unavailable because they have already been booked on other sites, you end up with your credit cards being maxed out. When I called Home Away two days in a row they promised to have a supervisor call me back but it never happened and when I protested about their abuse of my credit for homes that they did not in fact, have available, the answer was, "that is our company policy". This is pure ruthless abuse of power and abuse of a customers confidential information. They think because they are so big and now owned by Expedia which by the way condones their behavior. We shall see.

garryb22
12/23/16

Stupid me. Downloaded the HomeAway app as i thought it was VRBO'S site. Was pretty cool...until I found that it wasn't..why pay HomeAway 20% for doing no more than than dealing directly with VRBO?

unsatisfiedc8
12/22/16

Home Away's website was hacked and we lost our entire rental fee for a vacation rental due to a scammer. Home Away has ZERO integrity and NO customer service skills whatsoever. They accepted no responsibility for the hack to their site-which apparently happened previously to the same property. If I could rate them a negative number, I would. Stay away from Home Away.

ashleighm8
12/22/16

Be aware that submitting to BOOK a property will result in a "service charge." This is a completely hidden charge that is not informed while requesting to book... I called customer service TWICE and both reps have failed to reverse this charge. Will never recommend or use this site again.

80 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the HomeAway staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question