Review of HomeAway

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

miker260
5/24/17

Rented a villa in Spain for 2 weeks for our first family holiday abroad for 7 years. The villa was in awful state of repair with live wires hanging out of the wall, dirty, unhelpful and unapproachable managers looking after the property. No TV for 3 days meaning we had to stay out in the evening to keep kids amused. Reported to the company once back along with photographic evidence and full statement. Then have spent the last 3 weeks getting no where. Now reported it to my credit card company who are now going to get my full money back. This company like many holiday villa companies are only interested in your money with rude staff and no checks carried out on the property. An absolute shame and will be taking it further within the next few weeks.

kennethh79
5/22/17

HomeAway now requires landlords to provide a bank account so they can charge and I assume pocket a portion of the 3% credit card fee. They receive the membership fee on top of that. Their reason is, "customers want it." If that is so why in eleven years of being a member have only three renters preferred to use a credit card with the 3% premium? VRBO was great! HomeAway is a ripoff maximizing their profit at the expense of the landlord and renter. Worse than that they are rude on the phone to the legitimate complaints of a paying landlord!

idontt1
5/21/17

My credit card was fraudulently used to book a vacation because all this company asks for in verification is a card number and security code. That means you homeowners are renting your property to proven thieves. As would be expected, the woman taking a trip on my dime damaged the property and there is a police report filed. The first HA rep I called said she was in the Philippines and gave me a number "for billing." The second said she was in Austin Tx, (with a Philippine accept) and couldn't hand me to a person with an American accent. I should have asked her what time it was in Austin! She tried to give me the phone number I had already called. I asked for a supervisor. That "supervisor" also had an accent, but "could not disclose the country he is in." Homeowners beware!! This would be a zero star rating if that were possible for having such lax security measures in place to protect their Homeowners and make sure the person booking the trip is the one paying for it.

gerii
5/19/17

We have had our 4 vacation homes listed with VRBO since 2003 and were very happy until they were swallowed up by Homeaway and now Expedia has bought the company. They are charging our guests 6-12% commission for NOTHING!! We already pay a big fee to be listed on their site. They do that by forcing owners to take on line bookings and payments.
To avoid these ridiculous fees ALWAYS look for the name of the home and then google the name of the house and town it's in to find the owners website.
You will save yourself a lot of money and send the company a big signal that this greed will not be tolerated!!

bradr44
5/17/17

I was a happy VRBO customer for years until Homeaway took over. They have trashed this site. Use to be that if you kept your listing current and had good reviews you would be at the top of the page. Not with Homeaway, you get thrown to the back unless you pay a service fee or do online bookings. Customer service is also a joke.

lizh49
5/17/17

Worst company ever.. book through these idiots at your own peril. Lost booking, charging credit card in error, refund not processed. Language barrier and all in all worst rip off merchants ever. Do yourself a favour and steer clear

deborahe23
5/16/17

Booked accomodation in Sydney worst thing I ever did there was electrical wires hanging out of ceiling fans windows were painted shut could not be opened at all aircon didn't work properly.This company charge a 295.00 cleaning fee and a $600.00 security deposit which they also kept for cleaning biggest rip offs ever never use again would not recommend at all.

robinb134
5/14/17

I booked a property in bangkok. customer service could not locate my reservation and 2 service reps hung up on me. they could not find my agreement, could not find through my email, I will never book with them again

johnr471
5/14/17

In January 2017 we spent a month at this home with our 2 dogs. The home was neat, clean and very tidy. The yard was totally fenced for the dogs which was awesome and scads of walking trails. The only issue we had was trying to start the barbeque and when we notified the owner we had a new barbeque within hours. Without a shadow of a doubt we would stay again.

samc80
5/14/17

Booked and paid in full for apartment in Barcelona. The next day they requested we paid. I cancelled left it a week then rebooked - in case it was a genuine mistake. They took the full amount as required and asked the times of our arrival and explainsed whereb they would meet us. Great!!!
Two weeks later they emailed me and cancelled the booking. They asked me to rebook as the apartment was still reserved for me. I asked why it had been cancelled but got some dimwit who never explained anything. I waited for the money to refunded. It was refunded but there was a shortfall of about £30.00. Again I asked them to explain. They couldn't. Yet another dimwit that was a waste of another call. I decided to rebook (god knows why) and as clicked the pay now button the price increases by 20. They could of done this every month till I went away- and lord knows how much I would of ended up paying. I decided at this point to cancel completely. I have since booked with airbnb and the whole transaction was sorted in 10 minutes. Home way need to spend less money on stupid TVs adverts and more on customer service. And maybe some on getting themselves a uk call centre. Absolutely RUBBISH!!

kerryl39
5/14/17

I am a host and the customer service is terrible.
I had one potential renter send me several questions about my rental in several different request to book messages. Asking about how far it was to a wedding destination. Then asking how many beds, then asking about adding extra people. then forgetting she had already asked me and asked me again how far it was to her wedding destination. Then she never booked.
Now my account is restricted because they said I refused to book the place after several requests. Their whole system is computer animated and they told me they don't have the time to actually read the messages that I need to pay 350 a year to use their service!!!! It looks to them like I am renting outside of their service in order to not pay commission!!! How insulting!!!! I am beyond furious. Use Airbnb i have had nothing but good experiences through them

stephenc117
5/13/17

I booked a vacation rental in Barcelona. The canceled my reservation after sending me a confirmation and taking my money. They didn't even tell me my reservation was canceled. I only found out a week before my vacation when I wrote them to ask how to get the key. Now I am 5 days out from my vacation with no where to stay

carolr107
5/13/17

I've used HomeAway four times over the past six years and have been very satisfied. But this week, I've experienced nothing but frustration. The first home I tried to book showed my dates were available, but the next day I received an email telling me that my reservation was not confirmed. By the time I called HomeAway later in the day, the owner had pulled the listing from the website. Huh? I tried again with another property showing my dates were available, but first emailed the owner to find out if this was accurate. I received his reply telling me that my dates are available, but that he doesn't take reservations for high season in Florida this far in advance (8 months). Huh? I replied back, offering to adjust my dates and book for 2 calendar months. Haven't heard back from him. Don't really want to work with unreliable owners or websites like HomeAway/VRBO/VacationRentals, but what's the alternative for finding good rentals?

deepy
5/11/17

You think you've booked somewhere then you haven't. You think you've adjusted your own rates, then it turns out someone at the company has made a mistake and so you haven't. there's something seriously wrong with this company: they have a lot of incompetent people and aspects to their system, such as their website and their way of booking. or just changing the rate. be very very wary. I'm now going to advertise elsewhere and when it comes to finding houses I avoid them entirely - they just waste too much time.

gh518
5/11/17

On October 2016 it took some navigating around the site to reach customer support's phone or email, no 'Contact Us' at the bottom of the page. Secondly, the owner gets to rate 1-5 on the following: overall experience, cleanliness, house rules and communication with no explanation/comments. Thirdly, I received my rating after having reviewed my stay which mysteriously they lost (a long but thorough paragraph which words I now eat). I had only a month to review, and then was locked out even in responding to or questioning the owner's rating - no open rebuttal. I could go on.

I gave it two because I did not have a hard time getting and staying at the place but would not recommend.

maggiec27
5/10/17

I want to give them zero stars!! I booked a house six months ago for our trip to Disney. I just happened to check the website and it had been cancelled this morning! 6 weeks before we are to leave for our trip. I was never notified by email or phone. I called Homeaway and they could not tell me why and were no help at all they told me I needed to call the owner of the property. The owner will not respond to my inquiries or email and the phone number is not accepting calls at this time. I looked at the same house again on the Homeaway website and our dates are available again. So hopefully someone else's vacation does not get ruined.

dalep33
5/8/17

A ladies' trip was cancelled several days before scheduled, due to significant flooding in the area of the property. The homeowner refused to refund the cleaning fee ($200), although the property was not used. Home Away would do absolutely nothing. We didn't even ask for the property rental to be refunded. Home Away did charge me $101 for a Service Fee. A ripoff all the way around. I had used VRBO (Home Away) for years, but in recent years, I am seeing a very negative trend with them.

thomasw148
5/8/17

I've been a Homeaway property owner for at least 6 years. Todays date is 5-8-2017 I've been wondering why my reservations have come to a screeching halt. I'm a 6 star reviewed cottage on a lake in Norther Michigan. So I called customer service, never had to before, and they informed me that if I hadn't updated my calendar in the last 30 days, my listing which is current, goes into oblivion and can't be viewed. This has never been the case in the past, I was not made aware of the change and now I have lost income because of there gross negligence. I'm very disappointed, which was evident in my conversation, and not a single olive branch was offered in consolation. I can't believe they are number one.

jefferyd14
5/8/17

This company takes advantage of person renting property and the owner. They are double dipping. I would never recommend using this company, stay away from HOMEAWAY. They are crooks.

davidt260
5/8/17

Booked a 7 week rental in Spain. Had to cancel within the 100% refund time frame.

Spoke to their totally inept and useless customer service (that's a joke) informed me verbally but never by Email (won't ever put anything in writing) that I was entitled to a full refund BUT guess what only ever got under 50%.

Spoke to my credit card who upon looking at the evidence decided I had fraudulently Been under refunded and made good the difference.

Would advise you give this dead head of a company a VERY WIDE MISS if you need a stress free booking.

Will still use this to find accommodation but will NEVER PAY THROUGH THEM. I always do a deal direct with the owners. Never had a problem as they seem to be honest people to do business with.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

helenr76
5/6/17

These people are going to be reported to the Financial Conduct Authority by me.
I booked a 2 day stay at a villa in Parcent Spain and enquired about parking for a Toyota pick-up on the HomeAway site, the owner/manager gave me a positive reply.
What she didn't tell me that it was a near vertical single track access road with an unguarded drop and no room to park or to turn around. In the meantime I made another booking for the same property to go for a family holiday in September.
We could only stay one night, the place was a dump infested with ants crawling all over the worktop, no kettle, and we couldn't go out - my husband had very gingerly reversed up the track, we left the next day after grounding the vehicle about 4 times at the entrance. I wrote to ask for my deposit of over £350 back as I had been given untrue information - when looking at my bank statement I see that another firm called Homerez had taken the money at a bank in Paris PLUS another £105 booking fee! On top of this I had been charged 2.5 percent international bank charges!
HomeAway staff said that I have to ask the Owner/Manager of the property to get my money returned - guess what? They do not answer the emails!
I asked HomeAway to return my deposit as I have booked with them not Homerez, they have now said that I should contact Holiday Rent Payments CustomerService@HolidayRentPayment.co.uk who are the payment provider so they say.
Clearly HomeAway are passing on your payment card details to other companies who are raiding your bank account should they see fit with unexplained amounts, and there is only one thing to do as they will not refund payment - CANCEL YOUR BANK CARD IMMEDIATELY. I have contacted the Daily Mail and I am reporting this firm to the Police.
Surely I am not the only one who is going to find this out, these people are going to make a LOT of MONEY, AT YOUR EXPENSE, OPERATING OUTSIDE OF THE LAW. PLEASE PLEASE TAKE THIS WARNING SERIOUSLY

Tip for consumers: Do not use this APP as your bank details are shared with other companies and there is NOTHING you can do about it except to cancel your debit card immediately

leel93
5/6/17

The rental was great but they take deposit of $350 just in case of damages. That I understand but there policy says they will return it in 4 weeks after your departure but yet it's been 5 weeks and still no refund.... I've been emailing them and still didn't get my deposit back.... I will never use them again. What a headache..... who wants to deal with that.

cynthiaw70
5/5/17

I found a condo in Nashville on homeaway.com that had availability on my four-day vacation dates. I paid the $1,000+ deposit with my credit card and agreed to pay the full price on the requested date. I complied with every single term; I didn't change a thing. A day later I was sent an email informing me that my "offer" had not been accepted. What?? I lost a day of searching for a vacation home and am shame-faced with the relatives I urged to use homeaway.com. Never, ever again. Do not use homeaway.com. Why did they tell me this property was available???

reneer48
5/5/17

I would highly suggest that you do not book this property unless you want to have your vacation ripped from underneath you even after it was confirmed and you paid the deposit.

On 4-11-17 Kimberly Smith-Lehigh, property owner, confirmed by dates, added it to her calendar and I mailed her the deposit on 4-16. 6 days ago she cancelled my reservation without notice to me until yesterday, stating that my dates are not available. Why was it added to her calendar then? Why did she take my deposit then? She basically sent me an email saying I can come a month later or she will refund my deposit. Really? No consideration at all.

Unacceptable. How can you trust her or this site if they will not stay true to the reservation once confirmed and paid for.

Tried to post a review on HomeAway to warn other travelers and you can't do that since you did not stay at the property! You can send in a complaint to HomeAway about the owner but its not post anywhere. You have no way of warning others.

Never again.

suzanned30
5/5/17

Lake Lodge, Annecy, France: Beautiful holiday and stunning accommodation. Managers made us feel at home and relaxed from the moment of arrival. Great walks, lake swims, hikes and local scenery stunning. Great restaurant 5 minutes walk away on lake. Highly recommend on every level and would return tomorrow. Have recommended to a number of friends in Australia. Thank you for a holiday I will treasure for many years to come

1 rating was submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

91 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the HomeAway staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
pierrettew
Pierrette W.
on 9/19/15
Answer
Questions? Get answers from the HomeAway staff and other customers.

16 Photos for HomeAway