Review of HomeAway

Tel: +1-877-228-3145
csong@homeaway.com

natl23
8/19/18

Reserved 2 properties through HomeAway. Dates changed for an event so we were forced to cancel both reservation. This was 4 months before planned travel. 1st property owner acknowledged cancellation on the website. We asked this person about the deposit refund status and interestingly enough they stated that HomeAway keeps the money up to the point the customer stays at the property. This was handy information to know for the 2nd property.
2nd property: the owner would not acknowledge our repeated cancellation requests over several weeks. I called HomeAway for help on this. They recommended I contact the owner to resolve. No luck with that again. Contact HomeAway several more times with the same advice to resolve with owner. Frustrated enough, I request HomeAway refund the $1000 deposit I have into this property. They indicate the owner has the funds and it's up to me to resolve the issue. I stated that no... HomeAway keeps the money until such time that the customer stays at the property. After an awkward silence, the HomeAway rep states that I am correct. No progress made there tho, it's still up to me to resolve.
The owner did finally acknowledge the cancellation after my son who lived in the same city, called the owner. Seemed he would answer a local call but not out of country. Once the owner acknowledged cancellation on the website, we did receive the total refund back.
-So a few things here:
-We noticed the price of the 2nd property went up substantially from the initial price on the website. Beware of this.
-HomeAway cares not about their customers. If there are any issues, your on your own.
-HomeAway is concerned only about money and will lie to get out of paying up.

Lesson leaned here, stay away from HomeAway and it's affiliates. It looks shiny and professional on the outside but God help you if anything goes sideways.

paull413
Paul L.
8/17/18

Worst customer service ever. Unbelievable. How do they stay in business? HomeAway has several affiliates that operate in somekind of twilight zone of mixed-accountability. You're on your own if you book a home with one of these affiliates (e.g., travelmob). HomeAway does not appear to have any control of the process. Stick with HomeAway properties only.

tatyanas14
8/16/18

A homeaway host broke our house.

We pre- pay 01 year subscription for HomeAway Corp. advertise our vacation home in the market.

Home Away got our money and canceled the listing of our vacation home.

Property Owners and guest Stay away of this company Home Away Corp.

stephenc301
8/16/18

Booked a property in January through HomeAway. The property cancelled 5 days before I was due to fly. Refund of 50% so far and proving very difficult to get full refund. Hurdle after hurdle when they have all the information needed. Legal action next step?

debbieh234
8/15/18

I cannot believe that not only do you hold our reservation money until our guests are actually in our properties, earning goodness knows in interest, you then feel it necessary to charge 2% processing fee. You are one greedy company. Maybe you should start considering the owners and not just the guests. After all without us you wouldn't have a business.

Come on somebody start a company that looks after the owners as well as the guests and keeps to their terms and conditions.

tamaraw48
8/14/18

I have used HomeAway for several years and NEVER had a problem. The last time, however, I reserved a home in Richmond, VA which was canceled by the owner about two weeks before the date we were to rent the property. I received about a third of the money I'd paid back in a refund. I tried to contact the owner and when that didn't work, contacted HomeAway. They were initially really great, trying to contact the owner on my behalf, and also claimed they were working on finding me another property. I finally got ahold of the property owner and was refunded another part of the money, however was still owed about $70. After a month and a half of contacting HomeAway (they were working on it) and the property owner (never got a response), HomeAway finally refunded me the service fee....but I'm just out the money that the property owner owes me! Luckily it's only $25....however, I asked, and even if it had been hundreds of dollars, they would not be able to do anything to get my money back. I was also informed that the property owner has since been taken off of the site and their account cancelled, so They suggested I contact my bank and file a claim through them. I really don't believe I'll use HomeAway again for fear of getting burned.

pamelap157
8/14/18

We booked a property through HomeAway on July 11, 2018. On July 31 I receive an email that the listing was fake. HomeAway guarantees they verify their listings...right. I called them and I have a case number and everything yet here I am over a month after Home Away charged my credit card immediately for the listing and they have not reimbursed me for their screw up. NEVER NEVER EVER BOOK THROUGH THIS COMPANY OR ANY OF THEIR PARTNERS VRBO<STAYZ< EXPEDIA owns them now and they suck!!!!

gabrielan3
8/14/18

This site is a joke. For example, a place listed at about $50 per night adds up to more than $500 for 4 nights because of all the other fees added. Even if you search for accommodation for 3 people, it will only show a rate for one person, then triple the rate, add all kinds of fees and the final price is 20x the rate listed. On all the accommodations I checked so far! This is a total scam.

pennyc85
8/13/18

We are currently staying in s property we booked through HomeAway. Be warned they do not check the condition of the property plus there are hidden extra costs such as paying for bedding! (incredible) tourist tax and cleaning (even though the property may be dirty when you get there... 100 Euros for the privilege!). We are going home early as to put it briefly the property smells of damp, is furnished using old and uncomfortable furniture and looks like it needs gutting and starting again. We paid 1300 euros to stop here and I've no doubt will see none of that refunded. There must be s better way to book reliable holidays.

pleebap
8/13/18

Have had a listing with HomeAway for more than 10 years. Just recently Home Away has changed all the financial rules between owner and renter so they can take their huge slice of the pie. Owners take all the financial risks and yet HomeAway thinks they can book the property and keep the money until after the renter takes occupancy. On shorter term rentals, the renter has left already before I see a dime. On longer booked rentals sometimes 6 months to a year in advance. They keep the money until the renter checks in. NICE FOR THEM! They push you into signing up for Vacation Rental Payments program and if approved, you are supposed to be allowed the Advanced Payment Option to receive the deposit and final payments within 5 days. Yeah....right, good luck dealing with their outsourced calls to India and abroad to get a straight answer. I have been trying to get a straight answer for over 3 weeks and both divisions (HomeAway and Vacation Rental Payments). Even they can't explain their collaborative information as to why the approval hasn't posted yet. I am so over dealing with communications with HomeAway, they actually now are just in it for the money and don't care about OWNERS or RENTERS. There must be other companies that work in a professional business manner and not be trying to rip people off for extra fees. Somethings got to change here.....

robinc201
8/12/18

I am a host and had a guest that broke a portrait that was in my master bedroom. When I called Homeaway, because the guest totally ignored me, they told me there was nothing they could do. Unbelieveable!! I have never had this problem with Airbnb and will be removing my listing from Homeaway and will stick with Airbnb who actually does care if your property is damaged.

keiths219
8/11/18

We rented through Homeaway "myrtle beach vacation station". Drove 10.5hrs to our rental property. It was filthy dirty, the couch was black, stains and bugs on bed and something that appeared be from the human body. There wasn't any bbq area as stated. When we called to complain they stated "sorry there's nothing we can do". finally after some arguing they moved us to an "upgrade" closer to beach. We waited until the cleaners finished. Upon entering there's trash and cig butts, broken glass everywhere out front. The front door blinds were torn and hanging. There are bunk beds in every room but are to small for an adult to fit under. The windows either wouldn't lock or water poured in during the rain. The front bedroom had broken jagged glass in the frame. The a/c didn't working in living room and you had to dump dehumidifier tub or the humidity was unbearable. We had to wait an hour to get in while they cleaned. We spent 2 hours cleaning after cleaning people left. It was absolutely filthy. We put sheets on all furniture before we sat on them, bug covers on beds, swept piles of trash from under couches. There was rodent droppings in all kitchen cabinets, there's too much to list. We were supposed to stay for a week but after only 1.5 days we left and uprooted family. We found another place and had a fantastic time. Please be careful renting from these people. They ruined our vacation and don't want it to happen to you. Thank you ruining our vacation!

jk257
8/10/18

My renter in Ocean City, NJ (24 Tonkin Court, Ocean City, NJ) turned out to be a weirdo. He barged into our rental at 10 PM without warning when we texted him that the hot water was not working. Then he came the day after looking through the window when my wife was not dressed. We left a day early after that incident. I called Homeawaw to complain - they did not want to hear it.

theog19
8/10/18

I am a home owner and list my property on HomeAway (formerly aka OwnersDirect). In the contract is says that payment will be made the day after the guests arrive. Late last year they were paying later and later; I now get paid more then a week after the guests arrive.
I was trying to refund a guest their security deposit but was repeatedly getting error messages. Since they don't answer emails I had several online chats with a customer service agent. They keep telling me it is a technical issue and their technical department will solve it asap.

On top on their stupendous charges (commission, booking fees, payment fees and vat), their service,also to home owners, is mind boggling.
I have closed my account with them.

johns3113
8/6/18

Was charged extra fees separately at check in because host claimed he didn't receive proper payment from Homeaway Asia. Fees were not high, but after complaining with Homeaway about the issue, customer service would not do anything.

ashleys248
8/6/18

Stay away from homeaway. I have used their service for years and never had a problem until recently. Just had a terrible experience with renting a property with their service. Basically the owner took a portion of my security deposit and made up reasons for the charges that were outrageous. I complained to the owner with no response and I complained to homeaway. They claim to have looked into it. Homeaway sent me an email basically siding with what the owner said with no proof or itemized list of costs for supposed damages/fees. I paid fees for homeaway's service, cleaning fees to the owner and then got charged a portion of my security deposit. The owner charged me ridiculous fees for extra toilet paper, supposed broken shower curtain liner, more cleaning fees and trash fees with no previous agreement to pay extra fees for toilet paper and trash. They charged me a lot for this. I posted a review with my experience and my honest opinion on the house and they have not posted it. They do not protect the traveler, but they'll take your money and claim to.

tariqa20
8/5/18

The owner did not refund my money after i canceled, the representative told me that i have the right to get full refund, then they wanted me to get a letter from my bank that they can not give me the money back, bank said they do not give such letter and they just ran away from the guarantee, will never use again, thieves

grantw48
8/5/18

I would like to offer feedback on our experience with HomeAway and why we feel we cannot trust it and will not book through it again or recommend it to other travelers.
Other travel sites allow an easy and honest means for reviewing a stay. HomeAway does not. It is not an easy process to find out how to review a property and if the owner is responsible for and does not supply the review link, it is impossible. This was our experience. No review link was supplied in our correspondence. The property was not as advertised. It is in need of cleaning and maintenance that could not have been rectified during our stay given the low standards, and we would have liked to have given our honest comments regarding this property to alert other travelers. Even if post communication with the owners could have resulted in compensation, it wouldn't have improved our stay. The standards and cleanliness of this property are clearly very low (I have photos) and travelers should be alerted.
Our impression of HomeAway is that it seriously lacks attention to the protection and comfort of travelers.
HomeAway Response:
We appreciate you taking the time and effort to let us know about this situation.

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and ideas with us. Many of the improvements to our products, policies, and processes are made in response to customer suggestions such as yours.

On the other hand, the review link is sent to the email address of the person who booked the property. As such, kindly advised to have the review sent. Also, a complaint can also be filed about this case, it will also be best if the person who booked the property can reach out to us or the owner regarding the complaint so the incident will be referenced to the correct reservation and property owners.

maryf344
8/4/18

I rented a place in southern France for my family - and it was mis-advertised (it said it was air conditioned, but only one room was). We stayed at the place for 11 days - and it was a good stay - but poor sleeping. I gave a three star review of the place, then the owner came and gave me a one-star review all around, with no text. What I have found out is that Home Away does nothing to help the traveler. They really don't care what the owner/manager represents on the site. I cannot recommend this service at all. I have used AirBNB all over the world - and have been treated fairly with that company.

Tip for consumers: Use another agency to book property for vacation.

sarag147
8/3/18

A bad hu$tling joke, perhaps, they take lessons from USA-ers? No response from owners, nada. Who in their mind would use this no service!?

stephenk195
8/3/18

Property: 98 Alfred St, Milsons Point NSW Australia
On arrival at check in time 3pm the keys were no were to be found, we immediately called the booking agent Jason Adams. We waited in the cold with 3 young children for the keys and were repeatedly told they were on their way. We did not get into the apartment until 5.30pm. Once inside the apartment we found no welcome basket as advertised, no clean sheets for the extra bed we had paid for, no second bathroom as listed. What we did find was a pot full of cigarette butts on the balcony and a fridge and freezer full of half eaten food from the previous guests that we were left to dispose of. The problems did not finish there. This property is not well maintained. It was winter when we stayed and the heating system in the second room did not work. The intercom system did not work either which caused a lot of problems considering we were only given one key to the property and with two adults coming and going on different schedules and foreign phones that only worked intermittently, there were a number of occasions when one of us was left standing outside for long periods of time. For what I am assuming was for insulation purposes they had stuffed plastic shopping bags all in the bottom of the sliding door frame that is between the master bedroom and the balcony. It really did very little for the cold air coming in and especially the noise as another thing the booking agent Jason Adams failed to inform us of was that the building was under maintenance and we were awoken at 7.15am to the clanging of scaffolding being assembled outside the apartment. On the first night we were informed that due to the late arrival of the keys we were going to be refunded one nights accommodation due to the inconvenience and issues. We have never been refunded the money and upon leaving the property the booking agent Jason Adams has not returned any of our phone calls and numerous emails regarding the property and the refund promised. We have stayed at many properties like this in Australia on this trip and others and have always had a great experience and never had any problems. My advice would not only to stay away from this property but the booking agent Jason Adams as well. Please also be aware that although this was booked through the HomeAway service, they have no legal power to help resolve these matters.

hollyd58
7/30/18

Booked through Travelocity. Didn't know until AFTER booking that the reservation first went through HomeAway and then Turnkey Vacation Rentals. The fees were high. Transparency about fee schedule was low. The property location was accurate - that was about the only good thing. However, the pictures made the property seem much larger than it is. Additionally, it was NOT clean OR well-maintained!!! The picture makes it look much cleaner than it is. The place was not well swept/vacuumed/mopped. Our feet were filthy after walking around! The rug and couch both needed shampooing. Upstairs, the glass shower door was broken and wouldn't slide properly. Also, the main door wouldn't open from the inside. It was completely jammed shut and despite 30 minutes of trying to open it from inside, we could not. I finally had to climb out of the window to (with force) push the door open from outside. Despite this being a fire hazard, it was not fixed until the next day. Then, we discovered NO paper towels had been provided, and only 1 roll of toilet paper was in each bathroom (for a 3 night stay for 4 adults!). If you're charging so much money, don't be so cheap! We finally got additional TP later in the day, but they forgot the paper towels. After this, we saw that the fireplace pilot had been left on (in a sweltering week in July) - we'd been wondering why the place was SO hot for most of the stay and had no idea that a fireplace could be even partially on in July. Although that got fixed, we still spent the majority of our stay in a very hot place. Overall, completely unimpressed. Avoid this place. They don't advertise truthfully, check out time is way too early (10 am), they don't provide enough supplies, and most importantly they obviously don't care to maintain the property before they have guests come in! Despite all of these issues, they have provided no compensation. For issues of this magnitude, I'd expect a formal apology with compensation from corporate, but that didn't happen. This was in South Lake Tahoe - difficult place to get lodging for a family of 4 adults in peak season. Avoid Homeaway and Turnkey.

bobs540
7/30/18

Experion and HomeAway ruined a good marketplace. They bought up much of the online rental market (HomeAway, VRBO, CyberRentals, etc.) so they could force extra fees on renters and owners alike. If you do find something you like, try to contact the owner directly. HomeAway does everything it can to prevent this so it can add on extra rental fees. Contact the owner directly, or look elsewhere for the same home, and you will probably pay less.

sumod1
7/29/18

Do not list your property in this place.

They do not even provide contact information or company information on whomever is taking payments. Homeaway is also charging customers VAT, 25% in Norway, however they are not registered for VAT and do not provide owners with proper recites.

The"service fees are horrendous, around more than 20%!!! For a company refusing to provide contact information. This is not a good situation when payments are not received, customers pay, homeaway does not.

Also there is no way to completely delete listing and private information.

Do not rent. Do not list.

Tip for consumers: STAY AWAY - CLOSEST YOU CAN GET TO A COMPLETE FRAUD

danielles202
7/28/18

The customer service is horrendous. It seems that they cater to the property owners and are very inconsiderate of vacation renters. I had the worst experience with the property owner and the property on arrival of the property. We were unable to open the lock box as it seemed to be jammed. So I contacted the property owner who was extremely rude and called me an idiot. There was mold in the entrance way in the crack of the door, there were several blinds in the condo that were damaged, the shower water in the master bedroom would not shut off and ran for two days straight even though the property owner was contacted and so was Home Away who did absolutely nothing to resolve any of my complaints but stated that everything is at the owner's discretion and asked if I wanted to create a case, in which I have a case number but there was no follow-up on behalf of Home Away, mind you we stayed in this property for 7 days. The owner suggested that he had to call the plumber and asked if I could stay or leave one key in the lockbox for the plumber to get in. RUDE RUDE RUDE....Condescending, no remorse for paying customers. Considering I made the reservation an entire year before my stay, I was unable to get a refund one because we were there for a major event in which the schedule didn't come out in time enough for me to cancel my reservation. Going in I had bad vibes about the owner's ethics as he was rude in the first two emails that were sent to him at the very beginning. I paid my hard earned money to someone who has a "0" apathy and poor interpersonal skills for his renters/tenants. Again, I will never ever utilize Home Away...there was no resolve with them...they are the absolute worst. Very Angry consumer!!! Every time I think of this experience I become very upset because HomeAway did nothing to support me in this bad situation.

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Homeaway is charging a fee for paying through them. They said it was to improve marketing and because renters like to pay through them. As some one who is listed through Homeaway I find this practice destructive both to the owners and renters. I encourage all potential renters to contact the owners directly and pay us directly. Owners already pay a fee. If the owners want to be listed in higher tier you have to pay more. To me they are just trying to find ways to make more money at both the owners and renters expense without improved service for either.

By Robert D.

Go elsewhere. Sadly what started as a very good site many years ago has evolved into an unethical monopoly that has a sole interest. Profit. They do not care about owners or travelers. They exist to remove you from your money, and will say one thing and do another. They have lost the faith and trust of both, and it is well-deserved. Anyone coming on board with any of HomeAway's companies as a traveler or host would be foolish considering their underhandedness.

By Eric K.

That's a toss up.... Kinda like eBay with sellers and no feedback.... In general... I don't trust Home away anymore than I can throw em....cuz they are gonna side with their rentors and not you.....

By Steve H.

No, they won't. Worst agency I ever dealt with. Warn all you friends. They should be put out of business.

By VS P.

If I were you I would run as far as you can from these people!

By Richard D.

HomeEscape.com is relatively new but with the new Expedia Service charges on HomeAway/VRBO, the homeowners are moving over to HomeEscape in droves. Over the next year as the HomeAway subscriptions expire many of the homeowners will not renew with HomeAway if HomeEscape turns into a good alternative. In general we (homeowners) are pretty upset that Expedia is going to make over 4Billion in added income from our customers just in the first year of the fee, if folks continue to book through them. Many of us will feel pressure to lower our rental income but if you only knew our expenses you would know this is not really a big money maker for us - personally, these fees will actually put us well into the red. So, for our guests and ourselves, HomeAway will no longer be a site we do business with once our subscription expires. And, though we used to rent through them at least once a year, we're done with that as of now.

By Terri M.

This was my first and last experience using a similar service. I have been traveling for years, staying at hotels, with no problems. Given my experience with homeaway, I will only use reputable hotels from now on.

By Erik R.

I don't think our guests are aware of the rip-off yet. Look what it took for us to figure out what they are doing.

By Ute C.

You can't be certain. They will not assist you if you have a problem with the property. They will do all in their power to prevent you writing a negative review (it's very telling that there are so few negative reviews & those are very mild.) There are many other honorable sites to choose from. Learn from our experiences. Other sites WILL help you if there's a problem. Homeaway won't.

By VS P.

At the end of the day, HomeAway is a advertising vehicle for owners to reach guests. Each unit is as good as that owner makes it. I own 11 properties that I list on HomeAway and manage 6 for others. My customers are universally happy with the condos they stay in. At this point there is not much you can do. But I would strongly suggest in the future you speak to the condo owner and ask tough questions. Owners like yours give the rest of us a bad name. It is a shame that a few bad apples can screw things up for the rest of us owners who work very hard to give our guests a great experience!

By Steve L.
Questions? Get answers from the HomeAway staff and other customers.

45 Photos for HomeAway