Review of HomeAway

Tel: +1-877-228-3145
csong@homeaway.com

bobl218
5/22/18

i have 2 properties listed with vrbo (home away) - home away is extremely difficult to deal with - horrible customer service (i tried to stay with them for 5 years) nothing changed. VRBO was great ; then, home away came in to the picture and messed up the entire works - stay away, go to airbnb or others that care about both property owners and those looking to book

gigiw8
5/21/18

I rented a property 4091108 in Las Vegas for three days may 9 12, 2018. Upon arrive the property seemed fine. I had the following problems The theater unit was not working when we arrived, the pilot light on the stove top did not work, the pool was not cleaned, the cold water in one bedroom did not work, the refrigerator had food from other guest left inside, there was molded coffee grinds in coffeemaker, the carpet was worn, dirty and stained on the stair and the upstairs walk way, the base boards and light switches were dusty and dirty, the console on the theater seats was broken when arrived, no light in the pantry, no paper towels, there were two grills that were filthy and unusable, we were told by the maintenance person to turn on let get hot then scrub off the gunk, we tried that and one of the grills caught fire we did not use, the refrigerator did not fit into wall space and keep moving forward every time you open the door, there were two can openers and neither worked, the tv in the master bedroom was darker on the left side, the furniture was water stained and chipped, the pool table was not level, worn and had holes in cloth, corrosion on the shower head in the up stairs bedroom, the tub was dirty, and the stopper did not work, therefore tub could not be used, the furniture was not the same as picture, not leather but cloth stain and dirty, the backyard was not maintained, the shrubs were not cut back, the outdoor furniture was worn and dirty, the flap on the bottom of the microwave would come up every time you open the door the fan in the in law unit bathroom did not work. I took pictures and videos submitted to home away customer service and was told that they would look into it. I ask them why was this listing a premier partner, when the place was a bait and switch. I told them they could look a reviews as far back as 2016, and the issues I had are on going and not being fixed. They told me it is up to the owner to fix issues. I clean the place before we left and ask owner to meet me for exit walk through the owner declined. The owner then gave me a negative review, when I called talk to home away and explained that we cleaned the place before we left and I had video, they told me to bad. Just make another profile. This is bs.

carmens80
5/21/18

I have a property listed on Homeaway and they are the worst company I have ever dealt with. Apart from their website being the worst I have ever used (as a property owner), they take two weeks to pay after the guest check-in date when their policy states they will release the booking fees one day after check-in, then the

cherylynnh
5/16/18

Look out! this company holds your listing for ransom until you agree to their flawed logic. I have paid but now not getting the service and too many of their reps only read from scripted materiel and cannot make decisions. I asked to speak to a supervisor (Steven, if that's his real name) and it took half an hour and he could not nor would not address my issue and hung up on me! I tried to get him back on the line and was told he would call back (48 hrs ago!).

lisas729
5/15/18

I booked a property through Homeaway (booked 5 months in advance). I paid in full. Two months later I received a refund - no explanation until I contacted them. I currently have not received the full amount back I paid and they have just said contact the property owner it's not their problem! As a service I would have thought it was part of their duty. Poor support and customer service. Steer clear, plenty more reputable companies about.

gregorys139
5/14/18

HomeAway, VRBO, Vacation Rental By Owner all owned by the same company. They have changed their business model so many times I as a property owner can't keep up. They once turned away all business from my property because of a "glitch" I lost $40,000 in rentals and they couldn't care less. Now they charge both the property owner and the renter insane fee's, you can't get anyone on the phone that speaks english or knows what's going on. HORRIBLE COMPANY. USE AirBnb instead.

jilld90
5/14/18

Avoid using Home Away if you can!

I have been renting homes abroad for 25 years. I manage several homes and am extremely experienced in this business.

Nearly all my dealings with Home Away have ranged from mediocre to extremely dreadful.

Their payments system does not function properly. I get demands to pay guests their security deposits even though Home Away have the money.

They refuse to refund guests after a guest cancels. Their payments to owners NEVER equate to the amounts due.

Their customer service is awful. They send out threatening and unpleasant letters for no good reason. A guest recently complained to Home Away about their management of his booking and they wrote to me saying that the guest had made a complaint against me! The guest and i were on 1st name terms and he has only extolled my virtues for the way I managed his reservation, his only complaint was with Home Away and not me at all.

Their call centres are in the far east and the telephone operators are obviously working from a script. They are not actually able to assist when anything that is even in the slightest bit off their system!

This is a company which should be avoided at all costs, especially to the inexperienced rental home owner.

jovanr1
5/14/18

Customer support does not exist for hosts. They responded one month after the initial contact to tell me that I will wait more. 3 months and nothing.
You should learn from BNB. Deleting my listings.

Tip for consumers: Do not list here. There are better places.

angelaa132

use this site?
terrible reviews
all properties seem to have magical reviews. Obviously, owners can hide bad reviews. It became a game to see if I could find one negative review. Never happened.
Very high "management fees".

joem465
5/13/18

Contradictory information received from 2 different customer service reps - which sounded like they were in 'Timbuktu' could hard hear & understand :(
Charged our credit card before the homeowner agreed to accept the reservation!
Pressured travelers and homeowner to make a choice
Totally unethical!!!!!
HomeAway, VRBO now owned by expedia........

catherinec153
5/13/18

We tried to book some holiday accommodation with Homeaway in Australia, and we found ourselves wasting our time for almost one full week, without success. We didnt get an answer within 24h for the first 2 properties we made a booking request for, so these booking were cancelled, and with the other 2 properties we tried to book, the price quoted on the website was significantly lower than what the owners requested when they contacted us, so these 2 bookings were cancelled as well. Each time, we had to provide our credit car details, and commit to pay 50% of the fee, So obviously we could only made one request at a time. While we were wasting our time, other properties were being booked, and we are lucky we finished up finding something, not through Homeaway, though! I sent a customer feedback to Homeaway, and I never received an answer.

lisap351
5/10/18

I used the Homeaway site is January to booked a holiday for July, paid my deposit and received my confirmation email from both the site and the property owner.

However 7 weeks before the holiday when I had problems paying the final balance, I contacted them to be told the holiday had been cancelled or lost in the system and the dates we had booked were now booked by someone else. They never once contacted me regarding this and after spending a full day ringing both them and the property owner whom both just blamed the other I was told they would refund my deposit but I would be without a holiday and there was nothing they could do about it.

I asked to speak to a manager or supervisor and was told they didnt speak over the phone and that there was no email address for them.

The customer service was absolutely shocking and all that they did was blame each other, which did not help me and which ever one was to blame it certainly wasnt me.

They offered me more expensive holidays and said that they did not need to compensate me as they take no responsibility for any problems.

I would never recommend this site to anyone, in fact I would recommend you avoid at all costs. Unless you want your holiday totally balls right up. DO NOT USE.

sallyd53
5/8/18

WHY did a great company like Stayz agree to sell to this mob of cowboys. It has NOT helped my business one bit - quite the opposite. VERY disappointed.

beshoys
5/7/18

I have been in so many issues with them almost for 9 weeks to get my refund!!! I used them to rent an apartment in FL. They put in in Sonder property! Very basic apartment has nothing of the basic options that anyone need. Second day they forced us to move to another apartment with a broken AC So I had to cancel the reservation. 9 weeks and I haven't received my refund and I stock between Homeaway and Sonder as no one want say we have your money a s we will refund you! So I had to dispute it and I will file a complain on the business bearu.
Don't use Home away or Sonder. They are scam!

zenas
5/6/18

Very disappointed with Homeaway.

The photographs on the Home and Away site were misrepresentative, out of date and misleading. A beautiful sea view was shown, being the main reason we booked the apartment, when in actual fact there was an ugly building site slap bang in front of the apartment, obscuring most of the sea view. I understand that these building works commenced two months before we booked, so the owner should have shown up to date photos.

To add insult to injury, the owner of the apartment retained our 200 euro damage deposit for damage we did not cause - this damage was in an area of the apartment which we did not use.

I complained to Home and Away, but Im afraid they were not at all helpful. They say they have 'proof' the damage was caused by us. I've asked to see this proof, but it still has not materialised.

Homeaway state they are purely a venue for advertising and are not directly involved with the contractual obligations of either side during the rental process. The booking is a private contract between us and the owne

nateb34
5/4/18

The customer service they have is absolutely terrible. I've been trying to get a vacation home listed and its taken more than a week waiting on them. When I call their customer service they tell me that they will put a high priority on it and have another department contact me in 24-48 hours. This has happened twice now.

okin2
5/2/18

I lost 1000 USD as a host for a booking. They refused to pay and said the client had committed fraud. Why cant they release hosts money immediately like other sites. They are robbers.

shaunk21
5/1/18

I made a booking and HomeAway take the amount as a pending authorisation and then take it again as the actual transaction. They then take over 2 weeks to return the pending amount to you meaning they have use of your funds to make money off it. Basically crooks. I rang HomeAway and they lied to me saying it was my bank at fault, when clearly it is their responsibility to instruct their bank to release the funds.

odysseasa
5/1/18

dont loose your money with them
As owners stop pay subscriptions or make bussiness with them.THEY DONT PAY BACK THE OWNERS AND THEY KEEP THE PAYMENTS FROM THE GUESTS
Make dispute to your bank and get your money from subscriptions and dont

Tip for consumers: they are illegal stealers different urls who get money from travellers and different urls who doesnt pay back the owners
Dispute and close them

gailh90
4/28/18

Home away has been a nightmare. I read the rules and still they charged me for a reservation i cancelled within 30 min.I would not recommend them for anything.

marshah35
4/25/18

I've been on Airbnb for over a year, and get paid instantly 24 hours after my guests have checked in. I signed up for Home Away, & have been waiting for 2 weeks! I've read that for new property listings, they can take 1 month! If I wanted to work for FREE, I'd give the rooms away to charity. I do not Want to Work For FREE! If you don't want to work for FREE, Avoid VRBO / Home Away!! My listing is hidden until I get paid. I do not want to give anymore room nights away! All that cleaning and laundry is hard work!

philw47
4/25/18

Recently booked a property in Florida .. it ended up being poor and no pool heating for 10 days. Homeaway not interested in helping me get a refund . Even worse they allowed the home owner to edit my address so i could not give a review... utter rubbish company and i willl NEVER use again.

annet744
4/25/18

I have tried to book a couple of times on homeaway and the property owners don't get back to you. Locks you up for 24hrs as you can't book anywhere else in the meantime.

michaelc16
4/24/18

I joined both Airbnb and HomeAway as a Host, I got many inquiries and bookings with Airbnb but not even one inquiry through HomeAway. I e mailed HomeAway twice asking them to check my listing but got no reply, so I tried to deactivate my account - there was no way for me to do this myself so had to contact their Chat service - I communicated with 2 different reps. but they were either unable or unwilling to deactivate my account and delete my listings. I have been able to turn off my listings but am unable to deactivate or delete. Terrible!

christinah125
4/23/18

HOMEAWAY DOES NOT CARE HOW THEIR CLIENTS MAINTAIN THEIR PROPERTIES. PLEASE STAY AWAY.WE HAD MOLD ALL OVER COFFEE POTS,BLENDERS,BATHROOMS,KITCHEN AND BLINDS WERE ALL BROKEN. WE HAD NO PRIVACY. I HAVE CHILDREN AND NEED PRIVACY AND THE HOMEOWNERS ARE RUDE AND DO NOT CARE!!!!!!

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Homeaway is charging a fee for paying through them. They said it was to improve marketing and because renters like to pay through them. As some one who is listed through Homeaway I find this practice destructive both to the owners and renters. I encourage all potential renters to contact the owners directly and pay us directly. Owners already pay a fee. If the owners want to be listed in higher tier you have to pay more. To me they are just trying to find ways to make more money at both the owners and renters expense without improved service for either.

By Robert D.

Go elsewhere. Sadly what started as a very good site many years ago has evolved into an unethical monopoly that has a sole interest. Profit. They do not care about owners or travelers. They exist to remove you from your money, and will say one thing and do another. They have lost the faith and trust of both, and it is well-deserved. Anyone coming on board with any of HomeAway's companies as a traveler or host would be foolish considering their underhandedness.

By Eric K.

That's a toss up.... Kinda like eBay with sellers and no feedback.... In general... I don't trust Home away anymore than I can throw em....cuz they are gonna side with their rentors and not you.....

By Steve H.

No, they won't. Worst agency I ever dealt with. Warn all you friends. They should be put out of business.

By VS P.

If I were you I would run as far as you can from these people!

By Richard D.

HomeEscape.com is relatively new but with the new Expedia Service charges on HomeAway/VRBO, the homeowners are moving over to HomeEscape in droves. Over the next year as the HomeAway subscriptions expire many of the homeowners will not renew with HomeAway if HomeEscape turns into a good alternative. In general we (homeowners) are pretty upset that Expedia is going to make over 4Billion in added income from our customers just in the first year of the fee, if folks continue to book through them. Many of us will feel pressure to lower our rental income but if you only knew our expenses you would know this is not really a big money maker for us - personally, these fees will actually put us well into the red. So, for our guests and ourselves, HomeAway will no longer be a site we do business with once our subscription expires. And, though we used to rent through them at least once a year, we're done with that as of now.

By Terri M.

This was my first and last experience using a similar service. I have been traveling for years, staying at hotels, with no problems. Given my experience with homeaway, I will only use reputable hotels from now on.

By Erik R.

I don't think our guests are aware of the rip-off yet. Look what it took for us to figure out what they are doing.

By Ute C.

You can't be certain. They will not assist you if you have a problem with the property. They will do all in their power to prevent you writing a negative review (it's very telling that there are so few negative reviews & those are very mild.) There are many other honorable sites to choose from. Learn from our experiences. Other sites WILL help you if there's a problem. Homeaway won't.

By VS P.

At the end of the day, HomeAway is a advertising vehicle for owners to reach guests. Each unit is as good as that owner makes it. I own 11 properties that I list on HomeAway and manage 6 for others. My customers are universally happy with the condos they stay in. At this point there is not much you can do. But I would strongly suggest in the future you speak to the condo owner and ask tough questions. Owners like yours give the rest of us a bad name. It is a shame that a few bad apples can screw things up for the rest of us owners who work very hard to give our guests a great experience!

By Steve L.
Questions? Get answers from the HomeAway staff and other customers.

30 Photos for HomeAway