Review of HomeAway

Tel: +1.5126841100
csong@homeaway.com

iank30
2/17/18

We booked for a whistler condo through homeaway. We live in Canada and found the rental when searching through google. The website doesn't tell you currency. They did not indicate that they were going to charge in a different currency than the Canadian dollar. We were charged USD. Home away customer service is terrible and they do not take any responsibility. We booked a non-refundable booking. Cant get the money back at all. HUGE RIP OFF. If you think they offer a good service or good deal, if it's homeaway, stay away!

debir9
2/17/18

Once I got to the property, I realized that it was a hostel. We needed a private unit for medical reasons. The owner agreed to refund me as long as she found a renter to take my place. She quickly found one but Home Away would not let me cancel my own reservation. The money exchange was going to happen privately between the owner and I, told Home Away. I just needed to cancel. They refused to let me cancel my own reservation. I even talked with a supervisor. Home Away cost me $565. I will never do business with them again.

mickd20
2/15/18

I listed my Italian property for 10+ years with Homeaway, before their acquisition by Experian. Since then, it's been a trainwreck. What used to be an easy for owners to connect with holidaymakers, it's now Homeaway that wants to be in the middle. I can no longer communicate directly with perspectives. What used to be a nice call to see if the property was suitable is now impossible.

What Homeaway doesn't understand is that for places that rent +$8,000 a week and up, so don't just click and pay. I know Experian wants to be AirBnB of holidays homes, but it's simply a different market.

The website for owners is terrible. And the constant bombardment of advertising is awful. They want me to check my "rating"....this isn't some competition for Likes on Facebook. Owners tend to want good quality, repeat guests who know what the place is like before arrival. It's impossible now to do this.

What really disgusts me is Homeaway now charges several hundred dollars to the guest....for what??? They want to now take a commission after years of being a simple listings site.

franciscol21
2/14/18

Very bad website for the owner. Not intuitive and complicated. Difficult to adjust prices.
Absurdly high taxes. Go for airbnb. Better for everyone.
Francisco, Portugal

td87
2/12/18

Not accurate information. The website let me get through the booking process and then the owner said "sorry, I have people waiting to book the property for four months." Very bad service. Stay away!

staceys66
2/12/18

I'm not sure this is a real company or they have fake homes set up to lure you in to rent a more expensive home. I have tried multiple times to reach the so called " manager" to rent a property and I don't hear a thing. I even had to sign up as a user and verify myself to have access to reaching this person whom I'm pretty sure doesn't exsist. If they do then apparently they only rent to Germans because every review on the property I was looking at is in German. That's probably a good sign to not do business with this company.

waldemarf
2/12/18

I have paid for advertising on HomeAway since 2012 paying thousands of dollars to be able to have direct contact with guests.

This year after the acquisition by Expedia they decided to reward us by cutting off all direct contact with guests until they collect their added fees to not only guests but also to us. So basically we have been ripped off, they took our advertising money and are using it against us and our guests for the sole purpose of collecting fees without any responsibility for the actual business between owners and guests.
The owners of HomeAway are extrymly greedy. All the changes done recently are not allow me contact person who made the inquiry. 3 years ago I had rental fee charged back from my account and I had to pay 50 Euro penalty, because person who rented my place via their system figured out 6 month later that he did not authorize any charges. I got interesting proposal from them to pay another 500 Euro and HomeAway will do future investigation not promising any results. Since that I started screening guests and ask them for copy of ID for my protection. Currently I cannot do that anymore because I do not have access to the guest information. Whenever is any dispute about financial issues HomeAway is not taking any responsibility they just send info about some financial institution in England providing their phone number in England. I pay fee directly for HomeAway and I am not getting any protection from them.

gwenr10
2/12/18

Booked with them but could not get any replies to our questions. So we canceled our trip a few days later. Were told no problem but we would be charged a $150 cancellation fee and our deposit ($1038.74)would be refunded. We were charged $160 and our refund was for $888.74. Do the math and tell me they are not crooks.

brendam182
2/8/18

I have been a loyal homeowner on Homeaway since they bought CyberRentsls which is a total of 15 years. I have had nothing but problems with them for the last few years. The icing on the cake was when I received a 1099 Income tax form on a rental submitted December 31, 2017. The rental was for August 2018. They had the $2000.00 deposit which I wasnt going to receive until 2 days after the tenant checked in. So I am paying taxes on income I never received. What if the tenant decided to cancel! After hours on the phone, several emails, weeks of no response and a lot of aggravation i finally got the deposit deposited into my account at the of cost $65.00. That is on top of the $500 i already paid Homeaway and the $180.00 service fee the tenants paid, I will get another $65.00 charge when the balance is deposited. This is something always taken care of between me and the tenant. I would talk to them, yes talk to the people that were staying at my home. After making sure it would work for both parties I send out the lease agreement in January of the year they are renting, which they would sign and send back to me with the deposit. Homeaway is taking away any personal interaction between the Homeowner and the tenant....Along with charging a lot of money and screwing both the homeowner and the tenant. At this point I have not signed back up with them and do not intend to in the future. Im very disappointed with Homeaway,

dustinh36
2/6/18

The fees are excessively high, so I've had to increase my prices to ridiculous amounts just to make it worth it. Use Airbnb, it's better for everyone.

bradh81
2/6/18

This site is a gateway to FRAUD. We looked up a property and made a inquiry. The "Owner" responded that it was available and to wire the money because... We did so and he acknowledged receipt but the promised confirmation never showed up. Then we were contacted by the bank who informed us the account was suspicious and they suspected bank fraud. We contacted the "Owner" who played games. We then contacted the Homeaway "Investigative team". There are simply no words to describe the moronic, insipid responses from the imbeciles with whom I was forced to deal with for over an hour. Their conclusion was that the site was fine and it was our fault for following his instructions. Despite knowing that "Michael Rosvold" in Lahaina is a fake and a thief the site remains up and ready to defraud another unwitting customer of thousands of dollars. Doubtless there are tens of thousands of phony listings on their site. I drove by their "World Headquarters" in Austin. It appears to be a former gas station. This company is a joke. DO NOT DEAL WITH THEM!

richarda163
2/6/18

We have paid for advertising on HomeAway since 2001 to the tune of thousands of dollars specifically to be able to have direct contact with guests.

This year after the acquisition by Expedia they decided to reward us by cutting off all direct contact with guests until they collect their added fees to not only guests but also to us. So basically we have been ripped off, they took our advertising money and are using it against us and our guets for the sole purpose of collecting fees without any responsibility for the actual business between owners and guests. Book direct and save
#bookdirect

cicip2
2/4/18

Been with HA/VRBO since 2007. It was really a Vacation Rental By Owner. An advertising platform for the owner. Now it is a booking agent that has total control of your money to put in or take out of your account at will, AND...charge you fees to do it. The home owner is just a figure head, oh but wait.... if there is a problem... yup its your problem! We do the work & they take the money. Sure does not feel like Im the owner anymore. Customers are frustrated with the changes and owner support at HomeAway is failing fast. I have been hung up on several times after being told to just live with it. Searching new sites now as it seems Expedia bought this just for the Benjamins & the use of your home, to heck with the owner! And now they are rating us by how many bookings we get...lol, almost forgot thats more fees for them. REALLY?$$$

tammye28
2/3/18

After reading all the terrible reviews on here, I guess we got lucky. We rented a condo in Panama City Beach, FL and were thrilled with the entire experience. The owner was a wonderful man, and the property was everything he promised and more. We loved it so much, we're going back in May and staying in the same place.

Tip for consumers: Only book directly through owners.

robertl326
2/3/18

Many communities, including ours, have amendments and rules against short term rentals. The Townships do as well. Owners who rent short-term often violate these rules hoping they won't get caught. But if they are shut down by security or zoning officers, the renter is out of luck. And good luck finding the owner for a refund. Shawnee Valley is one of the No Short-Term rental communities. Be warned!

davec159
2/3/18

As Owners we have to put the price really high because of the fees, on a $500 booking theyll get at least 150-190 for fees ( thats call stealing ). If a guest ask for a refund , they will go straight to your BANK ACCOUNT to get the money . Theres fees for EVERYTHING . Service fees , Vat fees, transaction fees ect .the app can only send message and update calendar thats it . I will not be using this BS anymore

davidv122
2/2/18

It would be impossible to be more displeased with these people. I have found that properties are misrepresented - and despite their "guarantee" they do NOTHING to honor what they say.

billv33
2/2/18

I recently delisted my home from homeaway.com. They fail in an epic way to resolve any issues. Nothing but passed off accountability and responses read out of a manual. I recently had a guest damage my apartment and HomeAway couldn't care less or offer any assistance to help. I was referred to a third party insurer who took over 30 days to even look at my case. Result, they won't honor my insurance claim (even with photo proof) and I'm left with a damaged property. Then when I had a guest dispute their credit card for paying for their stay HomeAway again stepped aside and referred me to another third party that took the money back 30 days after the services were rendered. I again provided all the proof of a confirmed reservation and correspondence. If you are to rent your home for short term, do not use HomeAway or vrbo.com to do so. Stick with Airbnb or bookings.com or if you're desperate, good ole Craigslist. If you use HomeAway, you will lose in some way early or later on. Please beware.

latoyam12
2/1/18

I booked a cabin with HomeAway for a rental in December of 2018. I recently cancelled the trip on the 14th of January with no problem my money was refunded. The problem is the refund was sent to the original payment account but I had closed that account back in October. My bank sent the money back to HomeAway on the 17th of January and it's now February 1st and no one can give me the same information when I call HomeAway or their payment department. I'll be told that they have the bounce back from the bank and it has been sent back to the property owner and the property owner will refund it back to the right account or mail a check. Than other times I'm told that they haven't received it and I have to contact my bank to have my money transferred into the correct account. They can't transfer what they don't have because it was sent back to you. I don't understand how these people can keep giving me different information every time I call. I asked them to look through their notes for my account and I was told there's no notes of me calling them. What!? I have been calling since January 22nd after talking to my bank and being informed that they had sent the money back to you and when. This company is so full-of-it and I will never do anything with this place again. And I will recommend to everyone I know and reads this post not to do business with them either. Would have never thought that this simple process would turn into so much frustration and aggravation. Refund me my money so I can go on about my business and never have to be bothered with this company ever again.

paulf161

Homeaway complaint
Ibiza town, property number #8312876 contact: encar

1. Owner cancelled booking, doubled prices, then re advertised

We booked our family villa holiday Aug 2017 for June 2018 holiday.
We contacted owner December 2017 to confirm all ok prior to booking 8 return flights.
January 2018 we received emails from owner (whom we had spoken to and she confirmed all was ok, 4 weeks prior) stating she did not know how booking was made, it was not her, she was cancelling and refunding payment. However, if we would like to re book, our dates are available - albeit the price had been more than doubled!

We now had 8 return flights booked and no accommodation.

We contacted Homeaway, they were not interested and we were not even allowed to leave a review, as we had not stayed there.

They suggested we go through their on line complaints procedure, we did, we received 1 email acknowledging our complaint, advising they would investigate. Then nothing, except an email to rate them on their service on the matter!

2. Refunded payment £142 less than paid. homeaway not interested

I paid original reservation deposit, about £1,400 and homeaway book with confidence insurance fee, about £350 through the homeaway web site using my barclaycard.
Upon receiving my refund, some weeks later, it was £142 less than originally paid.
This was due to international payment charges incurred on payments out and payment refunded and the fact that the euro exchange rate had weakened from original booking to refund.
I explained all this to homeaway and they werent interested. They said they were bank charges, nothing to do with them.
I reminded them that we had done nothing wrong. We had booked through Homeaway, paid through homeaway, it was cancelled through homeaway by their customer, and we were refunded through the homeaway process. Why should we not receive every penny we had been originally charged?
I then contacted Barclaycard directly and explained the situation. They were very professional and informed me that it is the merchants duty to refund original sum in full, including all charges etc. Barclaycard then said they would credit my account immediately and take the matter up with homeaway. Hooray for Barclaycard

Summary
Homeaway holiday bookings - BEWARE
You are NOT protected through homeaway
You will get NO help from homeaway
All homeaway are interested in is their fees and an automated booking process.
Anything that does not fit this formula, they will not rectify.

markc353
2/1/18

I have been trying to list my property for over a year with Home Away without success. I have been rejected twice by the Madrid office, even when I supplied all the information required including passport, title deeds etc etc. There is always a problem with TRUST AND SECURITY department, which they will not explain to me, so I am not sure if its the property (totally licenced by the authorities for Tourist use ...under my name) or the PERSON ie myself. Needless to say my property has been listed on Booking, Wimdu, Airbnb, TUi, for over a year and I have no criminal record nor debts
I was refeerred to the TEXAS computer centre , which I called at least 3 times (free of charge) where they told me that they either had resolved the problem ( they hadnt) or the solution was to simply register with a NEW Email address , which I did several times , without success
Yesterday, a year later, I got a call from the UK office asking if I wanted to list, which I said I did and they charged me by credit card and hours later blocked my account
I have spoken to them today and they dont want to refund the money

johnw778
2/1/18

I recently rented a property in Bradenton, FL (Property #558727). Upon leaving, we removed all sheets, put towels in the washer, emptied all trash leaving the condo spotless. A day or so later, we received an email from the owner thanking us for our cleanliness & stating that our deposit would be returned immediately...which it was. In my review however, I noted that we had a problem with insufficient hot water and the pots & pans were inexpensive for a "luxury" condo with some having rust/dirt. In other respects, I thought the place was great...a bit overpriced, but still very good. It was our honest, candid opinion. Almost immediately after submitting my review, the owner posted a very negative review including a poor rating for cleanliness! I contacted HomeAway to explain the situation asking that I be allowed to respond to the owner's review, remove the owner's review, or allow me to add a couple other negatives that I had omitted. HomeAway refused and took the owner's side. I can only conclude that some owners receive renter's reviews BEFORE they post their reviews allowing them to give low ratings to any renter who criticizes their property. This makes me question the validity of the reviews which are key to anyone considering renting.

carolw168
1/30/18

previously had our beachfront property advertised with Stayz (Australia) fantastic, easy to use, lots of happy customers. Then they sold out to homeaway - what a joke. These guys want free and unlimited access to our bank account not just to deposit money owed to us for bookings, but to also take out money at their discretion and even through a 3rd party! I DON'T THINK SO

tonyf61
1/29/18

I tried to book four places on Homeaway. Each booking requires 24 hour before the reservation is confirmed, so you'll need a lot of time - days before you have a confirmation! Each time that Homeaway says it was available, it wasn't. When I got a a place that was available, the host said I wasn't a "verified" user - whatever that is. STAY AWAY from homeaway!

georgiar20
1/29/18

We booked our dream vacation for my husbands 50th birthday at a beautiful mansion in New Orleans. Two days before our arrival the homeowner called us and told us the property was no longer available but that he was moving us to a property just as wonderful. We had friends flying from all over the country to meet us in NOLA for the celebration so I had no choice but to take Frank the owner/CEO of Heirloom and an owner that also uses Homeaway at his word. When we arrived the home was dirty, dated smelled and smelled like mildew. There was one functioning toilet and shower for 10 people. I thought Homeaway would help us out since Frank put us in a home not even listed through Homeaway but all they told us is that they hope both sides come to an agreement. I have now been in contact with American Express and an attorney. Im beyond disappointed and angry. I dont think we will be using Homeaway ever again.

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Homeaway is charging a fee for paying through them. They said it was to improve marketing and because renters like to pay through them. As some one who is listed through Homeaway I find this practice destructive both to the owners and renters. I encourage all potential renters to contact the owners directly and pay us directly. Owners already pay a fee. If the owners want to be listed in higher tier you have to pay more. To me they are just trying to find ways to make more money at both the owners and renters expense without improved service for either.

By Robert D. [HomeAway Rep]

Go elsewhere. Sadly what started as a very good site many years ago has evolved into an unethical monopoly that has a sole interest. Profit. They do not care about owners or travelers. They exist to remove you from your money, and will say one thing and do another. They have lost the faith and trust of both, and it is well-deserved. Anyone coming on board with any of HomeAway's companies as a traveler or host would be foolish considering their underhandedness.

By Eric K. [HomeAway Rep]

That's a toss up.... Kinda like eBay with sellers and no feedback.... In general... I don't trust Home away anymore than I can throw em....cuz they are gonna side with their rentors and not you.....

By Steve H. [HomeAway Rep]

No, they won't. Worst agency I ever dealt with. Warn all you friends. They should be put out of business.

By VS P. [HomeAway Rep]

If I were you I would run as far as you can from these people!

By Richard D. [HomeAway Rep]

HomeEscape.com is relatively new but with the new Expedia Service charges on HomeAway/VRBO, the homeowners are moving over to HomeEscape in droves. Over the next year as the HomeAway subscriptions expire many of the homeowners will not renew with HomeAway if HomeEscape turns into a good alternative. In general we (homeowners) are pretty upset that Expedia is going to make over 4Billion in added income from our customers just in the first year of the fee, if folks continue to book through them. Many of us will feel pressure to lower our rental income but if you only knew our expenses you would know this is not really a big money maker for us - personally, these fees will actually put us well into the red. So, for our guests and ourselves, HomeAway will no longer be a site we do business with once our subscription expires. And, though we used to rent through them at least once a year, we're done with that as of now.

By Terri M. [HomeAway Rep]

This was my first and last experience using a similar service. I have been traveling for years, staying at hotels, with no problems. Given my experience with homeaway, I will only use reputable hotels from now on.

By Erik R. [HomeAway Rep]

I don't think our guests are aware of the rip-off yet. Look what it took for us to figure out what they are doing.

By Ute C. [HomeAway Rep]

You can't be certain. They will not assist you if you have a problem with the property. They will do all in their power to prevent you writing a negative review (it's very telling that there are so few negative reviews & those are very mild.) There are many other honorable sites to choose from. Learn from our experiences. Other sites WILL help you if there's a problem. Homeaway won't.

By VS P. [HomeAway Rep]

At the end of the day, HomeAway is a advertising vehicle for owners to reach guests. Each unit is as good as that owner makes it. I own 11 properties that I list on HomeAway and manage 6 for others. My customers are universally happy with the condos they stay in. At this point there is not much you can do. But I would strongly suggest in the future you speak to the condo owner and ask tough questions. Owners like yours give the rest of us a bad name. It is a shame that a few bad apples can screw things up for the rest of us owners who work very hard to give our guests a great experience!

By Steve L. [HomeAway Rep]
Questions? Get answers from the HomeAway staff and other customers.

30 Photos for HomeAway