Review of HomeAway

Tel: +1-877-228-3145
csong@homeaway.com

patriciah378
11/16/18

I used this service years ago and it was great. Now? HORRIBLE! They use some payment provider from the Philippines and they control and dictate when and how monies are collected, disbursed, and if and when a client should receive back their deposit monies. It takes 3 months for a homeowner to see the money collected for a rental! I don't like the way it's set up now, way worse than even Paypal which I vowed never to used again for as long as I live. This business has been farmed out oversees and they could care less. No way I can operated a business like this. They have there teeth sunk way in to the control of the money and I can just see many people getting burned. Will be using a Realtor and paying more money!

antonyv5
11/15/18

I paid $399 for a year's subscription, and although I've received more than that in bookings, I'm convinced that I would have got them through Airbnb anyway if I hadn't signed up. Also the way that they process charges is bizarre, with multiple backend processors, and very difficult to understand. I've been trying to change the account to which they send payment for over six months, a truly byzantine procedure involving PDFs and faxes with several companies, and which so far has been rejected twice for reasons I still don't understand. On Airbnb this is a quick online form and you're all done. Unless there's some reason that HomeAway produces great bookings for you, I would stick with less expensive and easier platforms like Airbnb.

katea72
11/15/18

My friends and I reserved an apartment through HomeAway two months in advance. When we arrived, the room turned out to be a scam. It was already rented to another group. HomeAway did nothing to help us find a place to sleep and did not take our situation seriously.

trevorw61
11/11/18

HomeAway UK did nothing to support our complaint that the property details were wrong and the owner lied to us about the facilities. Definitely use some other method to book your holiday

jayk140
11/6/18

I had to cancel a reservation and the owner was great with it. Homeaway, however, keeps saying they will refund my service fee and then each time I call about it, they have another excuse as to why it hasn't been done. Go to Air BnB!

jessicah336
11/3/18

I was unable to receive my refund despite complying to the terms of 100% money back cancellation policy. The Book with Confidence Guarantee does not cover anything. Vrbo/homeAway take zero responsibility for the property they advertise once you have booked. The worst customer service and multiple complaints to BBB, as well.

christinal156
10/31/18

Unfortunately, I had to attend a funeral in Rochester,ny. Once the funeral date was confirmed, I paid and book property#1208435 on Thursday afternoon (owner name David Culeton.) Following day the funeral date changed. I immediately contacted Mr. Culeton to explain and discuss changing the dates. He was booked on those dates. However, it hasn't been 24hrs that I booked. So he decided to take 1/2 of my payment. It's in the policy that he can do so. However, my issue is he was not compassionate and only concern was money. He did attempt to find another location that he didnt own but it was not suitable for my family so I declined. It's been exactly 11 days and I havent recieved my refunded portion. Contacted homeaway and explained what he explain to me why he kept all my money bc je said he lost money bc I was inquiring on dates 10/16-10/18 so it blocked his calendar. But nonpayment was actually made until 10/18. Homeaway said it was somewhat truthful but cant do anything bc of refund policy 30 days cancelation you'll get 100% to find or 7-14 days you'll get 50% back. So I lost money and still had to find another rental in a safe location within 3 days. So now I'm back on website looking and found property #7401769 (owner name isnt listed but its listed as Allure Home designs and rental)
I referred another relative about her property and he paid and booked got confirmation# 10/21. We had questions about the bedrooms, no response until 10/24. She didnt call to respond to our questions. She responded wanting more money bc she stated price on website was incorrect and she wanted 200 more dollars. Or she will refund our money. We asked can she waiver it since it's less than 24 hrs that were leaving. She called back and said she'll break it down to 80 dollars now. At this point I'm frustrated at the fact she starting to sound money hungry. After we decided to not pay more money she refunded our money and increased the price per night. I called homeaway website and explained the first gentleman I spoke with help my family out tremendously by giving us 2 options. It was extremely late by this time so I explain I'll call tomorrow and make a decision. Second guy was kinda aying tuff guy, so I spoke to the third guy and he was awesome. He put me and my family in a hotel that was paid in full so we can have a ace to stay once we arrived. The owners make the website look extremely unproffesional and money hungry!

darpanc
10/29/18

Don't trust Home Away as the owners of the property can cancel your reservation anytime and Home Away will do absolutely nothing to help you. ZERO customer service. Airbnb is much better.
ON TOP OF EVERYTHING THEY CHARGED ME $372.38 AND I GOT A REFUND OF $353.81 ONLY, although it was not my fault, I never cancelled my reservation.
I called the helpline and they said they can't help me. This is a BIG SCAM.

samirb8
10/24/18

They canceled my reservation without finding any replacement apartment. The booking was confirmed and paid.
I want to warn others from using their service. You are not guaranteed anywhere to stay even if the booking is paid.

megw30
10/21/18

We have been forced to move from Bookabach, a very stable booking site we have used for several years, to HomeAway. We are very frustrated as property owners, with the way HomeAway run their site. Our first issue is that we have a manager of the property (I am an owner). Our property manager is not able to be a 'reservations only' manager, but use my log in details to access the HomeAway account. HomeAway have not facility to separate managers and owners. This is very dodgey. Also, when trying to use the HomeAway website, when I click on some links, they will not load or dont work. Our bookings have dropped off tremendously, not that I am surprised with the extra fee's HomeAway charge. Also, they ask for all money up front very early, and release it slower then I think they should. We were told the funds were released to our account on the 13th, and they took a week to appear in our bank account. This is a small irritation as we aren't waiting on the funds. But all these issues add up to super big frustration. HomeAway is an amateur outfit at best. Can anyone suggest another short term accommodation platform we can use please???

wolfgangt
10/17/18

Answer to Carmelita: The host has admitted her mistake and returned our money. Just FEWO-direkt and HomeAway are sitting on what´s obviously their share of the loot and wont admit their error and return our money. Unfortunately they have the nasty habit of sending you only "NO Reply" emails, so you can´t really communicate with them.
Use only AirBnB if you want to be sure not to be cheated by that bunch of crooks at FEWO and HomeAway.

wf24
10/15/18

We have listed multiple properties with Homeaway.com and have finally pulled the plug. We most recently hosted a couple who stayed at our condo for two nights. They've been gone for two days and we still haven't received payment. We called and were told that since it's a new listing (even though we've been using them for years on other properties) we won't receive payment for 30-40 days until AFTER they've vacated. Well, they've been gone for two days. This is nothing more than a cash flow issue for them. They are so cash-strapped that they're floating their books. Total scam. Take your money to Airbnb. We have NEVER had that issue with them.

hannul
10/14/18

We are two Finnish married couples who hired in Venice an apartment (clean but quite cold) in Calle del Remedio 4407 in Castello1.-8. 10. 2018., in the center of Venice. The bedrooms are large, but the tiny, uncomfortable kitchen was the only place where we four could sit together and chat. There are not enough hangers for clothes and no coat rack! And only three undamaged drinking glasses for four people. On Saturday the boiler got broken and we had to be two days without warm water. Because it was the weekend no repairman was available, I paid 300 euro guarantee payment. Our contact person promised that HomeWay will refund it immediately but I haven't seen it so far in my band account.

pauld506
10/13/18

Homeaway is nothing short of evil.

I see so many reviews here from folks that had bad experiences with rentals. The main reason for this is homeaway policy of blocking communications between guests and owners before the guest pays. Homeaway charges travelers a so called service fee, that they call the "book with confidence guarantee" This charge is the main reason why they do not allow owners and travelers to communicate and seeing from all the horrible reviews here homeaway does not live up to that promise they simply take the fee from the travelers.

Before homeaway and airbnb and tripadvisor took over the home rental business there were wonderful websites that simply charged owners a reasonable advertising fee to connect travelers with owners. These sites such as VRBO, Holiday-rentals, holiday lettings and so on have all be taken over by these 3 big companies and now they have a monopoly. They can charge owners and traveler whatever they want because they control Google by paying them millions of dollars each year to suppress owners personal websites.

Do a Google search for a rental in any location and you will never see an owner's website but believe me there are millions of owner's personal websites out there. We are just invisible.

Some things to do.
1) Try to find owners directly or on sites that do not charge a traveler fee I would list a number of them here but it would be considered advertising.

2) If you stay at a great home keep the owners information so you can find them again and #bookDirect it will save you HUGE amounts since these companies charge you as much as 20% in service traveler fees.

3) If you have been hosted by a great owner share the information with friends and family and POST POST great reviews of their PERSONAL website so you help give them a chance to be visible.

Search Google for "No Traveler service fees" or look on facebook for owners directly.

This is a horrible time in vacation home rentals and unless we the owners and traveler work together it will only get worst.

michellem630
10/12/18

We have used Homeaway few times and never had any issues until our last trip. There were issues with the Landlord and Homeaway shamelessly protected the Landlord. The person I contacted at Customer Service, was talking at me, not to me and refused to help me. We have another trip in November and this time, for the first time, we have used Airbnb. Considering the cost for Homeway, they should care about the travelers a bit more. Without us, the Landlords would not rent their places. I will avoid Homeaway in the future and would not recommend them to anyone anymore.

megd14
10/11/18

HoneAway have made a 100 per cent refund to a traveller who cancelled despite the property's cancellation policy stating the traveller was only entitled to a 50 per cent refund. HomeAway's solution? For me to contact the traveller and wrangle the money out of them. Absolutely no customer service. Worst ever.

dawnc164
10/11/18

I learned that I should Never use Homeaway for overseas travel. Airbnb is more extensive overseas. I know this now but before I knew I used homeaway. I paid 800 per night for 2 weeks because I wanted to make sure I got something really nice. Wrong. The tv did not work. 1 tv 30 inch in whole house. My senior mom had two walk up two flights stairs with luggage because the elevator in the building did not start until second floor. We were on second floor. No help for us. No air conditioning in summer. Beds were hard. Big cardboard boxes stored in living room. No clothes dryer. Washed towels turned hard with line dry. Apartment was a 100 per night apartment that I over paid thinking would get luxury. No. Never again. Then the homeaway insurance says you cannot stay there but most go somewhere else if you don't like. We went to London at peak season. We did not know if somewhere else was available. We had no time to check. Should have provided one day to secure a different plaCE. You get off international flight tired and no one is answering calls fast enough to find new place Sk the alternative is you and family on the street. Never again.

douglasb181
10/11/18

We reserved and paid in full for a Park City Utah ski vacation - we resevred a year in advance since these reservations are hard to get, especially when bringing pets as we do. Just now (Oct 11) the owner arbitrarily canceled because his family changed his plans (which could mean he got a higher offer relisting the same property elsewhere). Homeaway is just fine with that

cliveb19
10/10/18

I rented a house and we left it in immaculate condition. The $400 deposit was not refunded, and the owner refused to answer any email communication. The only contribution HomeAway had was to disallow a "negative" feedback about the fraudulent behavior. Couldn't find any phone number to call them - they deserve to be out of business.

susana358
10/9/18

We rented a 1 bedroom condo through HomeAway and the trip total was $583. At checkout our card was charged $830. Whe I called HomeAway they said they only "advertised" this property and the company that manages the property can charge what they want. I have a snapshot of the confitmation, with trip total outlining room rate, taxes and fees totaling the $583. After calling 2 times and being hung up in (and I was calm, no cursing) I am left with the choice to chargeback for fraud. I have always used Homeaway and never had issues. They are losing a loyal customer.

josef95
10/7/18

The software has a lot of bugs and the apartments aren't visible in the search. We managed to have 1 apartment visible and it simply isn't booked. In booking and Airbnb they are constantly booked. Plus the client support simply doesn't exist. In other words HomeAway is worthless.

ivanv30
10/2/18

The day before we were due to travel to Porto I emailed the home owner to discuss check-in procedures, only to get an email back saying my 'fully paid-up' booking had been cancelled with no reason behind it at all. I emailed back and the owner then replied saying it was HomeAways fault as her apartment was never available on our dates and should never have been offered through the website.
I called Homeaway immediately and then said I should look on their site for another property but there were none anywhere near to matching our requirements.I eventually found one through Air BnB with no problem whatsoever, their contact and service far better.
On my return from Porto, I emailed HomeAway to ask for some sort of satisfactory explanation and they pretty much laid all the blame at my door as I had been unable to find another property on their website which in their view would have solved the whole situation. No apology, no explanation of the cancellation and certainly no admittance of blame.
We lost our holiday apartment the day before we travelled, HomeAway have lost a customer for life!

ciay
9/30/18

Had to cancel the rental right after we walked in the property. Foul, unpleasant smell everywhere, dirty couch in living room and the bed was the worst!! Filthy sheets, filthy pillow cases, filthy bedspread. See the pictures I took of the "couch" in the living room and the "pillow" on the bed. What is even worst is the fact that the owner wanted to rent the property right away without even checking it to correct the issues.
Property ID 272851
Property Owner, Lisa W

janiceh132
9/28/18

Homeaway worked similarly to airbnb for us to find a lovely home in the UK. This area was very difficult to find a listing that suited our party of 2 Grandparents, 2 Parents and 2 (opposite sex) children. This listing had a good number of reviews, so I trusted that it would not cancel and leave us scrambling for something at the last minute. It was a lovely property in a really small village, but close to the siteseeing, friends and relatives that we wanted to visit. The full kitchen, wonderful shower, washer and dryer and relaxing living room were great. Had no problems and would search Homeaway when looking for another listing. However, I am careful to look for lots of reviews on a property to authenticate the owner's representation of it. I want a listing that doesn't show owner cancellations that make me nervous about their reliability. This was our first experience with Homeaway and it won't be the last.

marjorieh33
9/27/18

The property was seriously misrepresented.
The listing photos gave the appearance of a private cottage that sat alone on a pristine lake.
In fact it was surrounded by cabins and trailers in close proximity and the bottom of the lake full of rusted licence plates.We paid extra for our 2 dogs only to find a sign inside the cottage saying not to let dogs pee on the grass and the neighbors small dog was loose on the next lawn and there were cats running around.
The T V didn't work , there were holes in the screens , and worst of all there was a sign in the kitchen sink " don't drink the tap water' which was not potable.
We drove 5 hrs to find this depressed shabby property and drove 5 hrs home exhausted and sorely depressed to not have our vacation.

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Homeaway is charging a fee for paying through them. They said it was to improve marketing and because renters like to pay through them. As some one who is listed through Homeaway I find this practice destructive both to the owners and renters. I encourage all potential renters to contact the owners directly and pay us directly. Owners already pay a fee. If the owners want to be listed in higher tier you have to pay more. To me they are just trying to find ways to make more money at both the owners and renters expense without improved service for either.

By Robert D.

Go elsewhere. Sadly what started as a very good site many years ago has evolved into an unethical monopoly that has a sole interest. Profit. They do not care about owners or travelers. They exist to remove you from your money, and will say one thing and do another. They have lost the faith and trust of both, and it is well-deserved. Anyone coming on board with any of HomeAway's companies as a traveler or host would be foolish considering their underhandedness.

By Eric K.

That's a toss up.... Kinda like eBay with sellers and no feedback.... In general... I don't trust Home away anymore than I can throw em....cuz they are gonna side with their rentors and not you.....

By Steve H.

No, they won't. Worst agency I ever dealt with. Warn all you friends. They should be put out of business.

By VS P.

If I were you I would run as far as you can from these people!

By Richard D.

HomeEscape.com is relatively new but with the new Expedia Service charges on HomeAway/VRBO, the homeowners are moving over to HomeEscape in droves. Over the next year as the HomeAway subscriptions expire many of the homeowners will not renew with HomeAway if HomeEscape turns into a good alternative. In general we (homeowners) are pretty upset that Expedia is going to make over 4Billion in added income from our customers just in the first year of the fee, if folks continue to book through them. Many of us will feel pressure to lower our rental income but if you only knew our expenses you would know this is not really a big money maker for us - personally, these fees will actually put us well into the red. So, for our guests and ourselves, HomeAway will no longer be a site we do business with once our subscription expires. And, though we used to rent through them at least once a year, we're done with that as of now.

By Terri M.

This was my first and last experience using a similar service. I have been traveling for years, staying at hotels, with no problems. Given my experience with homeaway, I will only use reputable hotels from now on.

By Erik R.

I don't think our guests are aware of the rip-off yet. Look what it took for us to figure out what they are doing.

By Ute C.

At the end of the day, HomeAway is a advertising vehicle for owners to reach guests. Each unit is as good as that owner makes it. I own 11 properties that I list on HomeAway and manage 6 for others. My customers are universally happy with the condos they stay in. At this point there is not much you can do. But I would strongly suggest in the future you speak to the condo owner and ask tough questions. Owners like yours give the rest of us a bad name. It is a shame that a few bad apples can screw things up for the rest of us owners who work very hard to give our guests a great experience!

By Steve L.

Trust me, Homeaway does NOT assist you contrary to what you might think of them as sort of a back-up if there are problems. It's the worst agency I've ever dealt with.

By Virginia P.
Questions? Get answers from the HomeAway staff and other customers.

HomeAway?