Review of HomeAway

Tel: +1.5126841100
csong@homeaway.com

marshag16
12/11/17

They charge a high processing fee which I have seen go up from one year ago. They require a deposit at the time of the booking and hold it.

Also if someone needs to cancel and is due a refund they are slow in returning their deposit.

aalaps
12/11/17

I have spent more than 100 hours between my credit card company and HomeAway for an issue with a reservation (October 2017, Boston, MA).

To summarize:
- Booked a 3 night reservation
- Owner changed reservation to 2 nights, a day before I was to fly to Boston. This prompted me to find emergency lodging
- Neither Owner nor HomeAway refunded my 3rd night
HomeAway could not even find documentation of the reservation change, and their response to my concern was "to take it up with the owner"
- Any other company (e.g. Airbnb) would have immediately dealt with and refunded the money, and PENALIZED the host.
- I am still working on getting a refund. Online customer service provided very fragmented information, and a DEAD link for filing a claim.
- Neither owner nor HomeAway is willing to take responsibility for their mistake

ritab71
12/9/17

I have been trying for three weeks to resolve an issue with my second payment on a rental property. It keeps coming up with the amount of my first payment. I have spent too much time on the phone, emailed customer service, and am currently on the phone with them again. So while I am on hold, I am writing this review. The renter is nice and she emails me right back, but this is in Home Away's court and it is a mess. I will tell the owner that I will not rent through them again!

gg111
12/8/17

BEWARE!!! Crappy experience. Lots of fees. Rental home was so dusty I sneezed the whole time and itchy eyes. We discovered bedbug bites after we got home (i researched it, bites don't appear until a few days later)! Called HomeAway. They did nothing but say we should contact the homeowner. Homeaway took no responsiblity - we called them first out of a sense of doing what's right: letting them know so they didn't let others rent the place! Owner called me a liar and said, 'FU' to me (but said the full two words) and hung up on me. Horrible. Pluse, Homeaway charges lots of extra fees, as do the homeowners. Worst part, we paid a $95 linen fee for sheets with bedbugs.

simonj45
12/7/17

VRBO / HomeAway - Charges Highest Fees, Full of Frauds & Totally Irresponsible.

Comparing to other major vacation / short term rental websites, VRBO / HomeAway is simply a shame. It charges the highest fees (9% on average comparing to 3% charged by Airbnb), but provides no service or protection at all. Does that highest fee mean its service is the best? On the contrary, its the worst. According to VRBO / HomeAway, it is just a Craigslist and won't be responsible for anything at all.
It is so easy for any fraudster to cheat owner / host and live at your vacation properties for free. You can get a chargeback months down the road from a cheating guest, claiming whatever ridiculous excuse. Whenever you get that, VRBO / HomeAway washes their hands & walks away, for theyre just a Craigslist. So go ahead & ask the Yapstone / HolidayRentPayment to do something, for theyre the ones charging extra fees every time to handle the fund processing.
Well, dont bother. You WILL lose every dollar and more, for you have to pay Yapstone extra processing fees to fight the chargeback. Yapstone / HolidayRentPayment will happily pocket that extra fee from you, but won't do anything at all.
We just went through such a process at the end of 2017, from a VISA chargeback claimed by a Portuguese speaking lady named Joanie Bordeleau (female, dark skin but not totally black, in early 20s in 2017, about 160cm / 5'3"), who turned out to be not only a lying & cheating fraudster but also a prostitute working mainly in Laval / Montreal area, based on private investigation with solid proof. The following is the exact process we went through with Yapstone / HolidayRentPayment, and see with your own eyes how unprofessional, incompetent & ridiculous that company is.
1. Got email from Yapstone regarding the chargeback
2. We emailed evidences and documents on the next day to Yapstone to fight the fraudulent chargeback, totally following instructions on Yapstones email
3. We then called Yapstone and confirmed they received our response
4. We also received email from Yapstone confirming they received our response
5. Weeks down the road, just days before the evidence sending deadline, we received another email from Yapstone, claiming they haven't received any evidence from us so there's nothing they can do unless we do that right away. Ridiculously, in that same email, you can see their previous confirmation that they received our evidence and documents
6. We emailed evidences and documents, again for the 2nd time, to Yapstone right away
7. We again received email from Yapstone confirming they received our documents, and they will submit your chargeback dispute documents to the card issuing bank
8. About a week after the deadline, we received another email from Yapstone, saying Please be informed as we did not receive a response before the expiration date provided in our initial e-mail, this case has now been closed per regulatory guidelines. Unfortunately, we have no further chargeback rights to pursue on your behalf. And right in that same email, you can see their previous two confirmations, yes TWICE, that they received our evidence and documents
If the first time mess up was due to Yapstones unprofessionalism & incompetence, the 2nd time exact same mess up cant be explained by any logic. The only explanation left is Yapstone purposely designs its system to not give owner / host any chance to win back any chargeback. Instead, it happily helps any fraudster to cheat money out of honest owner/hosts pocket, for it can shamelessly make extra in processing fees.
We did a brief Google search and it proves our suspicion. Many other owners/hosts went through the same process of being cheated by fraudulent chargebacks. The loss is anywhere from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand, or even in one case $15,000 on a luxury vacation property. Sadly in all those cases, not a single owner/host ever got anything back from the fraudsters. Thanks to VRBO / HomeAway & its payment handling partner Yapstone aka HolidayRentPayments astonishingly irresponsible operations.

royj30
12/3/17

I rented a villa in Dakar, the pictures looked gorgeous, I paid around 700$ for 5 nights, I arrived their I found that the property was significantly misrepresented; construction was going on in the house, I found that there is no AC in a 90 degree day, no wifi, no hot water, no towels, mosquitos all over the house, bed bugs, no pressure in the shower water, no cable, no TV (all these things were advertised in the site). I left and went to a hotel, I called HomeAway for a refund, they said they cannot refund because they are just a like a middleman between me and the owner, (their website says the following "The Book with Confidence Guarantee provides travelers with following benefits:
Comprehensive payment protection that protects your full rental payment against listing fraud, phishing, property significantly misrepresented and more"
They wouldn't refund me, they said they will try to contact the owner and try to ask him if he is willing to refund me, and it's up to the owner to decide. even though the charge on my card was made by home-away. Based on this experience I'm going to stay away from HomeAway.

mb259
12/1/17

Booked an apartment in Amsterdam in good faith, paid upfront, etc. Reached out to the apartment owner on the day of arrival as I had not heard anything. Next thing I get is a cancellation of my booking ... right before my flight leaves!

Called Home Away who said they cannot do anything about the cancellation and offered to find me a hotel room ... which by then, most places were already booked. I booked an apartment because that is what I wanted, not a hotel.

In the end, I ended up paying almost £800 extra to find an available apartment for the weekend. It was too big, but all that was available. Home Away offered nothing in terms of compensation.

They would not even allow me to review the apartment I had booked in order to warn future users of what can happen to them!

The add insult to everything, the 'refunded' my fees they collected ... except for £4.98 for some odd reason.

Best to avoid this company and go with something more reliable!!!

caryr13
11/30/17

We rented a property at 7041 east Presidio, Scottsdale AZ (Presidio) from Homeaway subsidiary VRBO from October 6-8. When the owner/rental manager (rentalguest.com) refused to return our security deposit we asked Homeaway to get involved. They sent me a form letter basically saying it was their policy to let owners and renters work out their difference. When I told them the owner/remtal manager will not return my calls or emails, Homeaway also stopped responding. Forget about their deposit safety program. it's a bogus lie.

vicentem15
11/30/17

i Booked a cabin in Flagstaff for new years 2017, they charged my credit card on September the 5th and now on November 25 they cancel me supposely because my bank said it was a potential faud. this is totally a lie, i talked to my bank and they say they didnt cancel it and how come homeaway says that after 2.5 months after.
Of course the property was relased and now its shown for 3 times more of the price i paid for those dates. No help at all with home away as they are bleaming my bank.

blancat1
11/27/17

They are the worst, please do not use them. I booked a location and tried to cancel right away but they wouldn't cancel anything. They charges me a $80 fee right away and $59 fee for damages but it's been taking two weeks for me to get my money back. They want me to call the property manager and ask to send HomeAway a confirmation cancellation, WTF, i got charged $80.00 plus i still have to do their job. I would never recommend businesses or homeowners to use HOMEAWAY or anyone who want's to rent a property. And when you call to speak with someone good luck in trying to understand them. They need people who can speak good English.

phyllissb
11/22/17

I, recently, booked a Homeaway guest house in Mar Vista, CA. According to the presentation of this particular place, people gave it 4 1/4 stars. I attempted to access the actual reviews, but was unable to do so until I paid in full, which I did. It was advertised as a guest house with a bedroom, bathroom, shower, etc. After payment I read the past reviews, which referred to the shower as outdoors. I was shocked, to say the least. I, also, got a list of rules and regulations, which negated some of the reviews ie: a great library of books (regulations said they were not to be touched), fruit left in the refrigerator ( no, a small bottle of water, can of something and a bottle of some off-brand soda) with the regulations that one could not eat anything beyond the small kitchen area. The worst thing for me was, that one could not bring friends or family into the rental area and if the renter wanted to meet someone, they should do so in some place away from the rental. Okay, I didn't say, in the beginning that I'm an 82 year old grandmother. I was obligated to give a profile before I was accepted. Frankly, knowing the renter was a grandmother, I would have assumed she was a senior person and I would not have accepted the reservation due to the outdoor shower, alone. The four days I spent there, the weather in Los Angeles was a bit cold and I only took one shower outside, using my friends' showers for the other days. Also, I said, in my profile, I was in Los Angeles to visit friends as well as two of my grandchildren. I had planned to have my granddaughter stay with me for one or two nights, but due to the regulations, that was not possible. I feel this rental was misrepresented. I would have liked to have my grandchildren, who are adults, come and sit outside with me in the lovely patio. In my payment there was a cleaning charge, and insurance. To be honest, the house was not that clean, the bathroom had ants (which I got rid of) and the base of the toilet was filthy. Oh, the bed was a pull out sofa. I would never recommend this rental or Homeaway. I feel if you're paying for something you should know, in detail, what you're getting.

shawns65
11/18/17

I would have give homeaway a lower rating bt it wouldnt let me. We saved up for a year to take a vacation in Puerto Rico. After the hurricanes, we reached out to Homeaway to assist with an owner that was not returning our calls. They called the owner and the owner said the property was fine. The owner continued to give us the run around and we continued to request assistance from Homeaway. After 60 days, it was to late to challenge the transaction. The owner sent us an email informing us that the property would have water in a couple weeks and power in January. (Two wks from our departure date) We lost $1283 to the property owner. Homeaway was worthless in, and during the process. We will not use them again!

edc70
11/16/17

I rented a house in St John for Oct. The hurricane hit and the reservation was cancelled. The owner gave us back our deposit but Home Away has yet to credit my account. The owner has gone back and forth with this company and cannot understand why account has not been credited. This happened around Oct 15 and here it is a month later and NOTHING HAS HAPPENED TO CREDIT MY ACCOUNT. I have gotten American Express involved and they have not had any luck yet as well. I have talked to several people at this company y who HAVE NOT BEEN SNY HELP!!!!!

garyw121
11/15/17

Do not use this company! The website says that the security deposit would be refunded within 7-14 business days which is standard and I understand why there would be a delay. However, in my case I checked out of the property on 10/22 and I had not received my refund within that time frame. On 11/7 (over two weeks after I checked out) the home owner contacted me with questions about things that were supposedly left on when we left. I told them we did not leave anything on and I thought it was resolved, but when I still had not received my deposit back as of 11/13 I contacted HomeAway and they said I wouldn't receive my deposit back until 12/3. I contacted customer service twice and the second time I was on the phone for over 25 minutes and was transferred 3 times and each person said the next person would be able to resolve the issue until I got to the last person who said that the refund is dependent on when the home owner decides to initiate the refund and there is nothing they can do now which is completely in contradiction to the terms on their website. Don't fall for their deceptive and shady business practices like I did.

davee51
11/13/17

there not worth 1 star but there wasnt a minus!! decided on a late break for my wife and I. Looked on homeaway and found one we liked sent of request to book complete with card details, rather surprised to be told that the owner had 24 hours to reply, we were travelling in 4 days. 23 hours later received a email stating that the apartment was not available (still advertised as available) so we booked another apartment sent of the details and our card details once more and once again were told that the owner had 24 hours to reply. 10am monday morning we received an email wherein the owner said his neighbour's flat had been put out of action and the neighbour wanted to use their apartment for the people who were in the broken one so we couldn't have it. OK these things happen but the owner said he learnt of this at 8am Sunday morning, so it took him 26 hours to inform us that we couldnt have the apartment and we were flying the next day. I wouldnt trust homesaway to organise anything. There staff have trouble speaking the language and couldnt care less attitude, for instance asking me if I had emailed the owner when i wanted to enquire about anything, are they stupid it could take 24 hours to get a response.

michaelc536
11/10/17

advertised with this company and its predecessor for many years and this company has gone from bad to worse - so now im setting up my own holiday website -

celesten2
11/9/17

Looking to book a beautiful venue for my wedding and my payment kept getting declined! Thinking it was just a security issue through my bank, I called them and they said everything was fine on their end. I just used a different card but I still had the same issue! Upon calling their customer service rather than putting in my information like my name, number, and email address in case we got disconnected.. every time I was transferred to somebody new (which was every 15 minutes) I had to repeat it a number of times because they could barely speak English! I stayed on the phone with them for nearly 2 hours, got hung up on once, yelled at, and by the end of this fiasco was told "my request could not be processed and there was nothing further they could do." I am hoping I can just place my reservation through the owners directly because reading some of these terrible reviews I would hate knowing they got 20% of my deposit regardless after how I was treated!!

paulam118
11/8/17

I couldn't agree more with the previous NEGATIVE REVIEWS! Not only are they greedy but they lack decent customer service.....wonder how they would feel if A company to whom they had paid good money, consistently kept them waiting on hold for up to 30 minutes just to finally tell them "this line is no longer available due to customer call volume!" Their representatives are lacking in knowledge about the system and often can't locate the customer's information! However, in case you don't believe it is all about greed, then try calling their number for the people who want to book a reservation. It's amazing how fast they answer that call, no waiting period, no hold time!!!!! With so many more vacation rental companies now in the market, that offer 100 times better customer service at half the price...here's betting they won't be around for very much longer!

briand166
11/8/17

We arrived at the property Amorgos Gardens, Kato Paphos on Thursday 28th Sept 2017 at 1.30am .. first impressions was that it was smelly and dirty.. the bed smelt. .. the insides of the wardrobes smelt fusty with mould as did the kitchen cupboards.. the skirting boards were rotting and black due to two floods over the last 3 years. The fridge has black gunge in between the rubber seal.. the cooker splash back and tiled area was sticky with grease and cooker filter was yellow with old grease.. paintwork is yellow due to age.. The bathroom sealant had ingrained mould and the shower fittings had heavy deposits of ingrained mould...rusty bathroom basket..the outside was worse grubby stained nylon sunbeds.. dusty patio area spiders webs .. paint peeling off wall and black all around the bottom of the wall. The pool area has broken dirty sunbeds.
We took photos displaying this apartment in all it's glory and sent them to the Owner and HomeAway who saw nothing wrong with them.. he said !!.. he did arrange for us to meet with his cleaners the next day .. which we did . and they agreed with what we said.. but they did point out that it was clean as they could get it. She stripped the bed as we had slept in it for 1 night to reveal stained pillows and pillow protector and very very stained mattress. Ugh.. We had no choice but to find other accommodation. we had booked for 2 weeks so we gave him the key back in the hope that he rent it out for the 2nd week.. but when we went round on the last day we found the cleaner there 'CLEANING' and that the Owner had had decorators in .. in readiness for the next family.. so to us this says that the Owner listened to us and did something about it .. but he insists he is under no obligation to refund US ! .. This building was constructed pre 2006 when building regs did not require a damp proof course and the flood water is evaporating through the building floor which is causing the damp and mould.
Homeaway who we booked with played no part in our complaint insisting it was between us and the owner.. The owner will continue to rent his apartment out.. and people on a budget will have no choice to put up with this and have their holiday ruined. So the owner refuses to refund us, and HomeAway take no resposibility even although we paid them and not the owner. There is no phone number to speak to anyone at HomeAway just emails so we never got anywhere with them seemingly just standard replies reading others pictures of correspondenceWe shall be taking it further with a lawyer regarding the payment to HomeAway. We would NEVER deal with this company again.

katherineh55
11/8/17

I have used HomeAway and VRBO for many years with good experiences, however the company has totally changed! My last two bookings were nightmares, properties so bad I would not stay in them. HomeAway completely refused to help, I lost the entire payment, which was in excess of 8,000.00.

al30402
11/2/17

I have rented my home through this company for 7 years. A year ago the problems started (read the reviews). It got worse and worse. As an attempt to maintain a venue for attracting renters, I succumbed to their demands, but it keeps getting WORSE!!! I don't think they actually WANT the homeowners business. I don't have a theory for their reasoning ?????!!!???? I have finally dropped them, but I have been monitoring, and for my small rental area, the number of homes available has dropped from 245 to 203 in just three months. So apparently other homeowners are as frustrated as I am. For Cape Cod and the islands, visit WENEEDAVACATION!!!! They are awesome. NO BS!!!

jayt88
11/1/17

Homeaway has been very disappointing! They take an enormous fee for renting your property- 15- 20 %, Very difficult to navigate and understand the fees and difficult to understand the process (they obviously do this on purpose, hide fees). Very big learning experience for us.

joelles6
10/30/17

i am property mgr and i can really recommend that you take another website for your houses. They are afraid of the tenants or holiday peoples and as punishment they are puting your listing inactive. The fees are out of propertions and the security center doesn,t listen to what you say. As owner you are really being put in the very bad spot . Do not use this website . They are not service minded at all

evelyng36
10/25/17

I am a home owner and i am upset with homeaway
A guest put in a wuestion and a request, I coversated with the guest on his issues meanwhile i did not accept his request and the homeaway just hid me from the website. I was not able to communicate with the guest and visa versa. I lost my rent By fortune my guest of next week conacted me to ask me what happened. After consulting homeaway they explained that if we do not accept within 24 hours we are hidden from the website... but also for current homeaway guest. Hoe confusing is that! I will add this in appropriatebehavior of homeaway in my contract but i find it unacceptable they change the policy without informing us.

sandrak78
10/24/17

My request for a property was denied, however 3 days later my bank account was hit for the money. Called 3 times and was put on hold for over an hour before being disconnected. They show no record of my payment which I know is a lie because I'm looking at my bank statement which I have emailed to them. Now on the phone AGAIN! guess I'll wait for that disconnect signal again.

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Homeaway is charging a fee for paying through them. They said it was to improve marketing and because renters like to pay through them. As some one who is listed through Homeaway I find this practice destructive both to the owners and renters. I encourage all potential renters to contact the owners directly and pay us directly. Owners already pay a fee. If the owners want to be listed in higher tier you have to pay more. To me they are just trying to find ways to make more money at both the owners and renters expense without improved service for either.

By Robert D.

Go elsewhere. Sadly what started as a very good site many years ago has evolved into an unethical monopoly that has a sole interest. Profit. They do not care about owners or travelers. They exist to remove you from your money, and will say one thing and do another. They have lost the faith and trust of both, and it is well-deserved. Anyone coming on board with any of HomeAway's companies as a traveler or host would be foolish considering their underhandedness.

By Eric K.

That's a toss up.... Kinda like eBay with sellers and no feedback.... In general... I don't trust Home away anymore than I can throw em....cuz they are gonna side with their rentors and not you.....

By Steve H.

If I were you I would run as far as you can from these people!

By Richard D.

HomeEscape.com is relatively new but with the new Expedia Service charges on HomeAway/VRBO, the homeowners are moving over to HomeEscape in droves. Over the next year as the HomeAway subscriptions expire many of the homeowners will not renew with HomeAway if HomeEscape turns into a good alternative. In general we (homeowners) are pretty upset that Expedia is going to make over 4Billion in added income from our customers just in the first year of the fee, if folks continue to book through them. Many of us will feel pressure to lower our rental income but if you only knew our expenses you would know this is not really a big money maker for us - personally, these fees will actually put us well into the red. So, for our guests and ourselves, HomeAway will no longer be a site we do business with once our subscription expires. And, though we used to rent through them at least once a year, we're done with that as of now.

By Terri M.

You can't be certain. They will not assist you if you have a problem with the property. They will do all in their power to prevent you writing a negative review (it's very telling that there are so few negative reviews & those are very mild.) There are many other honorable sites to choose from. Learn from our experiences. Other sites WILL help you if there's a problem. Homeaway won't.

By VS P.

At the end of the day, HomeAway is a advertising vehicle for owners to reach guests. Each unit is as good as that owner makes it. I own 11 properties that I list on HomeAway and manage 6 for others. My customers are universally happy with the condos they stay in. At this point there is not much you can do. But I would strongly suggest in the future you speak to the condo owner and ask tough questions. Owners like yours give the rest of us a bad name. It is a shame that a few bad apples can screw things up for the rest of us owners who work very hard to give our guests a great experience!

By Steve L.
Questions? Get answers from the HomeAway staff and other customers.

30 Photos for HomeAway