Review of CheapOair

135 W 50th Street, Suite 500
New York, NY 10020

blythec
11/22/17
• Updated review

After months of correspondence, long holds on the phone, Cheapoair offered to reimburse me with about fifty percent of what was due. I chose to accept their offer rather than having to keep up the back and forth correspondence.
Not happy, but it is behind me know.

“Lack of honor”
11/20/17
• Previous review

Hard to believe but I have in writing from CheapOair that I am due a credit of $1192 less $300 handling. When it was issued I told the rep that it seemed like a large credit (since I had already travelled the outbound portion) but he said this is the amount and sent it in writing. I went to use the credit, and CheapOair now says they have made a mistake and won't honor more than $410. Long story short, I don't have anymore strength to deal with them, but just enough strength to ask you not to support them and to purchase tickets from another agency.

johna742
11/21/17

Booked for a specific date, and got a total different date, and wanted more money to change to the correct date. These people are a scam and rip off. My recommendation is to never use this company, they screw you over in every way. Total fraud when it comes to getting a refund or change dates. Cheapoair sucks!

Response from CustomerService C., CheapOair Representative
JOhn, our apologies for the inconvenience. Our site is set up to offer alternative travel dates first, for a much lesser fare. We do advise in several areas through out the booking process that you have chosen different dates, however this wasn't caught until after the purchase was made. As a travel agency, we do have to collect the applicable airfare for the dates needed. We must follow the rules of the ticket purchased.

jakeb78
11/21/17

I booked 4 tickets with these folks then was immediately called to pay extra for a seating plan so that my family can sit with each other. When I told the representative that I would just like to cancel he tried to just sell it more. When finally transferred to cancellation rep, he in turn told me that there would be a $50 cancellation fee for each ticket (Not 5 minutes after booking).
I don't know where they come off being a giant turd.

Response from CustomerService C., CheapOair Representative
Jake, the flights you booked were on Spirit airlines, Spirit does charge for pre-assign seating, and with you traveling over the xmas holiday we do call and assist the customer in booking seats to make sure they have no issues at the airport. Our apologies for the inconvenience, our intentions were to make a stressful travel period easier.

marym585
11/20/17

They charged my credit card sent a booking number and the flight was never booked... they did this twice.
They keep u on hold for long periods and you can never speak to a manager !!!!
Not sure why they are allowed to operate
Will be suing them

heides3
11/18/17

Booked for a specific date a flight for $81, when I got the confirmation email the date was different so I immediately called the cheapoair customer service number to resolve the issue he told me I chose the alternate date because it was cheaper? I did not so beware..to change the date to what I needed costed an additional $95 says the rep on the phone the flight ended up costing me $186. They would not budge even tho they they were advertising the same flight on their website for $92.60? I could have booked thru spirit directly for $112. I will never use cheapoair again. Buyer beware. The funny thing is I could have paid the $50 cancel fee and rebooked thru spirit directly and still saved money.

Response from CustomerService C., CheapOair Representative
Customer purchased an alternate date, being focused on the $81.00 price. When she realized it was not the date she actually needed, we did have to collect the applicable airfare for the date she needed.,Our website does not change dates when flights have been selected. We do give you the option to cancel with a fee, or to pay the applicable airfare for your travel dates.

mattm161
11/17/17

I received about 8 phone calls from CheapOair after purchasing 4 tickets over Thanksgiving 2017. I answered the 3rd call, and after I discovered they were trying to upsell me on upgrades that I had already declined online, I requested they add me to their DO NOT CALL list. The woman agreed, I hung up, and she called me back 4 more times. Then the next day a different person began calling me trying to threaten me to purchase travel insurance, claiming "they won't give me a single penny" back if plans change unless I purchase their ridiculous insurance. I'm now convinced they're nothing but a spam company, and I'll never be using them again.

bethl54
11/15/17

I booked and after I noticed a name was spelled incorrectly I tried to change it and they had me call the airline. I did this and the airline cancelled my booking and told me to have Cheapoair rebook it. It's been 2 weeks and I still have NO refund, NO credit. these guys are scammers.. I will NEVER do business with them agai

Response from CustomerService C., CheapOair Representative
Refunds can take upto 30 days to his your bank account from the time it was canceled. The charge was disputed within 7 days, therefore it delayed any process of refund, but since has been resolved, and paypal account has been refunded. Our apologies for any inconvenience you experienced.
natalied53
11/15/17

This site is a classic example of using bait & switch tactic. After putting in my flight dates the search came up with alternate dates without making it very clear & without me specifying I was okay to travel on different dates. 10 minutes after booking a flight on the wrong date, I called to cancel & they want to to charge me $50/ticket for a cancelation fee. 24 hour rule doesnt apply to travel agencies was their reasoning. This is 100% fraud!

Response from CustomerService C., CheapOair Representative
We offered flights with flexible dates first because they were cheaper, some customer's like these options, and if not, you can move down the list of availability. We also provide you with 3 different alerts that you have selected flexible dates and we show the dates, and the savings. You can either accept what you have chosen, or you must opt out of the option where it will take you back to the availability screen. Unfortunately this was not done, and customer got the alternate dates. As a travel agency, we do follow the 24 hour cancel policy for a refund of your airline tickets, however, service fees are at the discretion of the individual travel companies. Customer was charged $25.00 cancel fee per person, however, since has been refunded the $50.00.
franciss44
11/13/17

I purchased two tickets for .specific dates. Was sure I checked before submitting the purchase. When I got the confirmation email the dates were completely different. I'm meeting a group of 50 people so there was no flexibility with the dates.

After a long argument with customer service I ended up having to pay an extra $275 to get the dates changed back to what I originally entered. This was a better option than paying the $150 cancellation fee they wanted to charge.

I've been buying tickets on line for years through Expedia and Travelocity and never had a problem like this before. I'll never use this company again.

Response from CustomerService C., CheapOair Representative
We offered flights with flexible dates first because they were cheaper, some customer's like these options, and if not, you can move down the list of availability. We also provide you with 3 different alerts that you have selected flexible dates and we show the dates, and the savings. You can either accept what you have chosen, or you must opt out of the option where it will take you back to the availability screen. Unfortunately this was not done, and customer got the alternate dates. The price that was charged later was for the actual dates they needed, and must be collected for the applicable dates, which they would of paid if the correct dates had originally been selected. Our apologies for any inconvenience.
bobn49
11/12/17

Cheapoair found lowest fare of $296 (plus $24 cheapoair charge). When I went directly to airline site the fare was $200 total. I sent screen shot as requested to get lower fare but they refused to honor that fare. NEVER DEAL WITH THIS COMPANY. THEY ARE A RIP-OFF.

randyt39
11/12/17

My flight dates were changed and I didn't catch it the next day. So I call (I am two months from my flight) to change it and they tell me $1600 to change my $600 flight. Stay away!!

joshuab115
11/12/17

I purchased a ticket 1 way by mistake and cancelled within 10 minutes of transaction and was charged $50 just to cancel. In less than 30 minutes I was charged $50 dollars for no reason at all.

nits2
11/11/17

Recently booked my tickets through Cheapoair website, The fare offered was quite attractive.I was all satisfied and started my travel arrangements, to my horror I received an email 24 hours later stating that tickets are not booked without citing any reasons. After 48 hours I got a phone call stating that fares got increased , so we could not book your tickets, so get your tickets booked at higher price which was twice what was shown on Airline website. This website is totally unreliable and fraud. I will never use this website again and tell my friends not to use either and don't get into honey trap of lower fares
I ended up in booking tickets almost twice the price quoted on this site.

Response from CustomerService C., CheapOair Representative
Our apologies for the booking experience you recently had. Fares can change at any time, and not guaranteed until tickets get issued. We do offer you other options, and at no way are you ever obligated to take a fare that you are not comfortable with. Nit did rebook with another company and we have since tried contacting him several times to discuss the refund that we are offering him for the additional cost he had to pay.
benl98
11/10/17

Just a follow-up: CheapOair reached out to me and issued a refund of $75. The customer rep who reached out was sincere and willing to listen and resolve issue. The company seemed to care about customer's feedback and is willing to make change. Anyway, the refund was issued timely, and I am happy with the result.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still on the phone with the rep, but this is exactly happening to me. Found out the date was wrong, called in and the rep is charging me $75 to cancel.

elizabethh174
11/8/17

I have seen many reviews where this same issue has happened. This site is a scam? My flight changed after I paid and booked a rental car. I called to get it fixed immediately only to find out it was going to cost $900 more!! So the site says free cancellation in 24 hours. But I got charged another $100 to cancel on top of the almost $600 I already paid. I got a run around about the $600 refund!! I guess I will have to call my card company to get this resolved and report this to the Better Business Bureau and the consumer affairs. This company has ruined our Thanksgiving travels and they dont seem to care. Still not sure about getting my money back!!!

georgep132
11/8/17

If you think buying online with Cheap O Air is saving money its not true.
Skip Down to my last sentence if you do not have time to read this!!!

I booked a flight for $2331 paid in full.

I needed to cancel the flight and I was asked how much I was willing to pay to cancel my flight by a NON English speaking Representative! This is a awful & awkward question!!!

I agreed to pay $150 to cancel which is fine (After just not wanting to deal with Cheap O Air any longer)
After paying the fee of $150 ($50 per-person with 3 people) I later was charged a booking fee of $65 with out consent. Its not about the money but ethics & business practice.

After the 2 hours in phone calls (Wasted time) there is never any supervisor to help!!
The person who answers your call is the only person who can help you & they can never do anything to solve a problem only telling to to call back later when a supervisor is available yeah RIGHT!!

Time is more valuable than money to me I would rather pay the additional charge usually $30 - $100 more.

Booking through Google by typing in Flights is usually around the same price directly with the airline carrier.

If you do not care about the time Cheap O Air maybe for you the trash times of bookings available are usually the ones Cheap O Air has available when no one wants to book a flight.

For a quality time frame you may pay a few dollars extra on google!

The Customer service here is a joke I feel like I am in in the Philippines NOT COOL.......

I would recommend looking into booking directly with the airline or going on

To Find the a better flight for $20 more..

After you book your fight you will not be given a receipt only the itinerary.
Your booking on Cheap O Air's website even if you are logged in will not be available.with no upcoming flights its like my booking never existed unless I call to confirm!

You will not no how much the flight was at the time of booking if you would like to look back to ensure Cheap O Air is actually cheap (It IS NOT)

This place is a total Switch & Bait Scam Avoid unless you have money to waste & Time to Burn GO TO GOOGLE instead...

CHEAP O AIR maybe better utilized for a single person or collage student but not for family's with Children.

Here is an email of a Unauthorized Charge Buyer Beware------

Dear Cardholder,

When your tickets were issued we were unable to collect the entire amount of the fare you were quoted. This email is to inform you that we have been able to successfully charge your card for the outstanding balance of $65. Please note this charge is part of your original quoted fare and booking receipt and is not an additional amount.

We have charged your credit card for one of the following reasons:

A) You credit card may have declined for a portion of your fare for including taxes, fees, shipping fees or insurance fees,
B) There may have been a communication error with the credit card merchant when attempting to charge.

If you have any questions, please call our Billing Department at 1-845-664-6186, or email us a CheapOair.com.

CheapOair.com

reginas42
11/3/17

READ THE OTHER REVIEWS. STAY AWAY. THEY PURPORTEDLY SELL YOU A TICKET FOR THE DATES YOU REQUEST, THEN SEND YOU A TICKET FOR THE DATES THEY HAVE AT THAT PRICE.THEN THEY WANT TO CHARGE YOU A FEE TO CANCEL.

Response from CustomerService C., CheapOair Representative
Regina, the ticket that you purchased were for alternate dates that we provided as a cheaper fare for travel. Once you chose the flights that you want, we do not make any changes to the selected itinerary, As a precaution, we also display that you have chosen alternate dates and saved money, would you like to continue. At this time you would need to go back to the beginning and review the flights again. We do apologies that you may of missed the 3 displays of choosing the wrong flights, but we will assist you in rebooking for the correct dates, in which you would be charged for the applicable airfare, but you chose to cancel, in that case, we do have a cancel fee that is also mentioned during the booking process.
iftin
11/1/17

Flight DXB to KHI
Baggage allowance shown 2 bags of 50 lbs + hand carry..
Booked the ticket..
went to emirates website to put my passport information and there it showed 30 kg..
I was not looking for cheap prices, rather than i was looking for atleast 40 kg baggage allwoance.
so these cheaters are now saying that pay us 75$ and we will change your flight.

Seriously? They are cheating like no one can even think of!!

STAY AWAY!!

Response from CustomerService C., CheapOair Representative
Customer looked at the baggage policy, however, he only checked the policy for baggage US/CANADA he needed to move down farther to see the policy for his routing, which he did not. The policy for flights from Dubai do not allow 50lbs . He wants to make a change to his flight that will give him more baggage, the change fee is $75.00 plus any airfare difference for the new flight. CheapOair gives you the link on our website to check before even purchasing the flights, it also directs you to the airline website for even more details. We do apologies for the inconvenience, and we will be glad to assist him with rebooking if he chooses.
abrahamm45
11/1/17

My 80-year old mother purchased airline tickets, but she inadvertently purchased two for herself and two for my father. Interestingly enough, CheapoAir did not notice that the names, IDs, and birthdates were identical for them, and still went on and sold the tickets. Next day she realized that mistake so, within 24 h, requested cancellation of two of the tickets. Again, CheapoAir's wonderful "system" did not allow partial cancellation of the purchase, so they cancelled all 4 tickets. And, the big surprise, is that they charged a US$50 cancellation fee per ticket, resulting in a $200 "free cancellation within 24 h". DO NOT USE THEM!!

kevinb267
10/27/17

My credit card company agreed and reversed all charges. The cheapo Air web site will automatically change the date you search to an alternate date to make money with cancellation fees or change fee's once you discover the error. They will then lose the call when you try to change the booking (happened to me twice when calling them.) Then they send you a email indicating you are out of the 24 hr window and can't change or cancel. I had many emails so it was very clear they were just trying to run a scam and I received all my money back.

brianw172
10/26/17

Went to their website to get flights for a funeral that was unexpected. Found a great deal at the top of our search. By the time we accepted the flight we realized the the dates were changed. Called to get this resolved. Turns out the deal was deceptively displayed to entice purchase by changing airport and dates. Only indication was some small, bold text saying as much. Then as we worked with them to get this fixed they wanted to charge $100.00 to change/cancel the booking. Buyer beware!

Response to CheapOair: That's well and good, but when you're grieving and trying to get flights out to a funeral the last thing you want is to have different dates to save money. Warning through the process is one thing, but using the minimum amount of visual awareness on the search results is deceptive practice. That's the issue, not that we were supposedly warned (probably with the least amount of visual attention possible). Not everyone is looking for a getaway on just any old day of the week. There are real world needs to be at a place at a specific time and day. That poor webdesign caused a ton of unnecessary stress during a very stressful time.

Tip for consumers: Carefully look at what you're selecting on the website. They do not make it visually standout that you may be selecting a flight on different days.

Response from CustomerService C., CheapOair Representative
Brian, very sorry to hear that you purchased the lower fare we offered without checking over the flights that we offered as a flexible flight option. Many people are always looking for that lower fare, and don't always think about checking a few days before or after to keep the cost down. We offer those cheaper dates first, and they are not there to deceive people. We give you 3 alerts through out the booking process letting you know you chose different dates, would you like to continue, and you did. The add collect would be for the appropriate cost for the dates you actually wanted, and if you decline the new flight and price, we do cancel, and have a processing fee per person, again that is also mentioned on our site. Our apologies for the inconvenience.
joannaw17
10/26/17

Needed to cancel my flight due to not being able to go on the trip that I was planning due to unforeseen issues with my job. I was not able to get my money back. They would credit me for any flight within a year but still had a $200.00 flight penalty that I would have to pay.

claytonp12
10/26/17

we booked a flight and rental car through cheapoair. we had a sudden change of plans and called them back within 24 hrs. of booking. WE WAS TOLD WE COULD CANCEL WITHIN 24 Hrs at no charge.We was charged 200 dollars for flight and 145. dollars for rental car + 15 extra dollars for car rental. we bought travel insurance. after i paid for the travel protection i was told that it didn't cover baggage and was told we would have to pay extra for baggage protection. we paid extra to have assigned seats. The travel insurance didn't cover anything .These people are CROOKS AND LIARS. DON'T TRUST THEM.

patrickt69
10/26/17

They charged me $300 to change my flights departure time. Then they tried to charge me $200 because of a typo in my name on the ticket. They said if I did it through the airline it would cost me $300 so I was actually saving $100. I called the airline instead of paying CheapO to correct the typo and the airline corrected the name for free and said changing the departure date should only have cost me $200. CheapO Is no bargain and is unpleasant to deal with.

Response from CustomerService C., CheapOair Representative
The airline does charge us a service fee of $50.00 to request the name change and we also have a fee for processing it. The $200.00 was for making the changes and that goes directly to the airline. Customer was assisted by the airline for the name correction, and they are the only ones that can waive off their own fees. Glad it worked out for Patrick.
sunilb10
10/25/17

I had booked air ticket GDL to NY, I paid online, I received a booking confirmation mail but when I reached at airline gate they said we don't have booked ticket for you by CheapOair, I was shocked it was 11:15 in the evening I purchased an other ticked & reached NY, I called up them on helpline & got a mail that your ticket is canceled & we'll refund you if we have charged any amount, an other mail I received where they said that they have not charged any amount from my card detail, Where my bank statement showing that CheapOair have charged USD 303, I sent them bank statement, now they are NOT RESPONDING.....

Response from CustomerService C., CheapOair Representative
We are very sorry for the inconvenience Sunil experienced. He had a last minute booking and we have a credit card verification process that we go through. The reservation was from India using a credit card that didn't match his name, or phone number, or email, and travel was out of GDL the bank could not verify nor would they authorize the transaction. We did forward an email to the customer to contact us, but he never did. We take precaution when bookings look suspcious, and this is to protect our customers from fraudulent bookings.

I would not use Cheapo under any circumstances. Look at the 698 (!) complaints at the Better Business Bureau website. They hide under the name Fareportal, which is the parent company.

By David L.

Its is a real agency but not a good one. They book unavailable fligjts and then you have to call and go thru several people to make sure they dont charge you. DONT USE THEM. Book thru other sites or airlines themselves.

By Donna S.

I have used Cheap Air many times over the years and have NEVER (knock on wood) had ANY issues with security. In addition I just print off my confirmation and my ticket has ALWAYS been there. Planning on booking another trip next month! Very happy with my experience with them!

By Darlene T.

they are good but there policies are not good

By Terrance J.

It is 24 hrs but I would suggest not to buy ticket on their website. There are many hidden aspects in their tickets and hence they can sell it at lower prices but yu might end up spending more eventually. I suffered myself recently and had to buy a new ticket for my travel as they gave me a bad ticket.

By Shrikant B.

Don't book with them for a car rental. Did this and the rental agent at Advantage said they don't honor "third-party" bookings and had never heard of them. Our car cost triple what was quoted. Oh, and they charged $15.00 to my credit card to "reserve" the car. I tried to complain but on hold for hours, tried email complaint, etc. I gave up. Great experience booking a flight but horrible on the car. Don't waste your time booking a car with them, it doesn't get honored.

By merv f.

I disagree with Catherine F. My confirmation was not sent immediately, it took about 15-20 minutes, but they will send one.

By Miles S.

I have been trying to get a hold of a representative to change my flight time & none of my calls event go thru --what # are you calling?

By darina b.

In case you have selected "flexible dates" and you do not reply to the email they send you within 24 hours they will end up choosing and buying with your credit card another ticket for you. That is simply not correct. The buyer should have always the last word if they use your credit card.

By Barragues A.
Questions? Get answers from the CheapOair staff and other customers.

14 Photos for CheapOair