Review of West Elm

customerservice@westelm.com
2018 Customer choice award

lisav161
3/27/19

We bought the Drake sofa the end of October 2018. They assured us we would have it by Thanksgiving or the first week in December. Well Christmas was coming and we were having a houseful. The sofa showed it was in Salt Lake but the warehouse could not deliver it until after Christmas. We have a truck so I begged to let us pick up the sofa ourselves. After talking to several "manager" we were given special approval to pick up.

We picked up the sofa on December 19, 2019. By mid January the fabric looked horrible! It is piling and sagging.

On February 9, 2019 I called the City Creek store, since that is where we ordered it. I was given a customer care number to call. I called that number only to find out it is just for store associates. I called the store back and was given another number. It took about 45 minutes to file a report with a very nice customer service lady. She said I would receive an email with instructions on sending pictures in.

On February 14, 2019 we still had not received the email so I called again. The report never got filed?? Really? Another 30-45 minutes and I filed a new report and immediately got the email.

On February 16, 2019, I sent the pictures as instructed.

On February 20, 2019 I had not heard anything so I resent the pictures as instructed.

February 25, 2019 STILL had not heard anything. I called the direct line that was given to me on February 14, 2019. That line is for Pottery Barn shipping issues. NOT West Elm. Got transferred to West Elm. That was the wrong department. Amy said she would stay on the line to get me to the correct department. She just transferred me to The wrong area. That person.. Didn't get his name.. Transferred me to a rude woman in the Southern CA area. Also the wrong area but she assured me that she found my emails and sent them on to Northern CA which is the correct area. This ordeal was 36 minutes.. What a waste of time!!!

Never received a call back after my many phone calls and emails. 3/1/19 my husband and I went into the store and talked to the store manager.

We explained what was happening. He was EXTREMELY nice and really wanted to help us. He told us he would contact corporate and find a solution. I left there feeling so much better.

3/6/19 I get a call from the store manager that he is having Pauline Hill from corporate contact me. 3/6/19 Pauling calls me and tells me to send more pictures. 3/7/19 I send the pictures to Pauline. She confirms that she has received the pictures and that she will review and get back to me.

3/11/19 I call Pauline for an update. No response. 3/14 /19 I call Pauline and ask for another update. No response.

3/20/19 I email Pauline asking for a response. 3/23/19 I get a response from Pauline that West Elm does not cover piling of their fabric and that they would send me a complimentary fabric shaver. I feel so taken advantage of. What a waste of our hard earned money and time.

This is a 3 month old couch that looks 10 years old!!! It looks so bad that we have it covered with blankets. I am blown away! I plan on sharing my horrible experience with everyone I know.

The sad thing is we choose West Elm because we thought they had good reputation. Turns out they don't. After googling West Elm fabric I found that many others have had the same issues as I have. I guess I know why you don't have reviews of your products online. So disappointing!

jeninnev
12/26/18

We ordered a smeg toaster mid November from West Elm. At the time I was notified that it is a non-returnable item. The order successfully went through. 3 weeks later I contacted West Elm because there was no item shipped nor a tracking number. I found out that any third party item they do not offer tracking numbers on nor can they offer any update on the order status. I was told it would be received by December 18th and most definitely not to worry about not having it for Christmas. I called back on December 20th, giving it a couple of extra day for holiday delays. I was informed again that they have no way of tracking or gaining information on this item. I was promised it would be here by Christmas or someone would be letting me know otherwise. I was in contact with a supervisor who then emailed me the same information. I responded to his email within 30 minutes of receiving his, as of 12/26 I have yet to have him send me a reply. I contacted again the customer service number and was told again, it would be here by Christmas or I would receive communication otherwise but beyond that they could not give me any information other than it was ordered and not returnable. I then called 12/26 and was told they would be able to "request" the item to be cancelled but have no way of sending me a confirmation of the cancellation request or documentation of our discussion. I was informed they have no way to send emails to customers with updates or any kind, ever. So, this is where I stand, they may or may not cancel my order, they may or may not fill the order. There is no time frame as to when I will have an answer to the status of my order.

pd58
1/17/18

Tracking indicated a 12/5 delivery date for the item ordered. Did not receive the item and a few days later tracking indicated the item was back ordered. I attempted 2 phone calls, hanging up after a 20 minute wait. Two emails received no response. I then emailed their parent company and finally received a response (no longer in stock), and a refund. Ordering online from West Elm is not worth the trouble.

rezas7
12/19/17

Ordered an item online in July, turns out it was on back order until November. Fine, I waited till november, called again, now being delieved end of november, called again end of november, now being delieved sometime in december, when? no one knows. everytime on phone for 1 hour before any one picks up. they are a joke.

Response from Judy E., West Elm Representative
Hello Reza,
Thank you for your message. I apologize for the delay of your order. I have sent you a private message with our contact information. We look forward to hearing from you.
Sincerely,
Alison
West Elm Social Media Team
loriet4
8/26/17

West Elm has everything and it is all quality. The moto "you pay for what you get" is 100% true. Between Pottery Barn, West Elm & Williams & Sonoma & Grandin Road my house gets furnishined. Chic, quality, different and there is ALWAYS something new that you "just have to have". A lot of people would be crying at paying $109.99 for pillow covers but they last. We use our home, we live in it. The rugs we bought from West Elm have brought such pops of color and have held up so well that I do love to tell people where we got them. I don't like to decorate like everyone else, I love color and bright open spaces. It exudes happiness and if you go to West Elm you feel happy. Go to their website you are happy. I have had to return something because it did not fit in but I guarantee I bought something else. Customer service is excellent, I have never had a problem with them. It goes back on my card immediately. Love, love, love WE!!!

Response from Judy E., West Elm Representative
Hello Lorie,

Thank you for being a fan and sharing West Elm is your Happy Place!!!

Cheers,
West Elm Social Media Team
joycem71
3/14/17

Quality products and good prices. I've purchased from them several times and did have to return one item I didn't think fit the description but I was reimbursed with no hassls

katn7
1/17/17

Look closely at what you are buying tou can see that the price and quality do not match. If you don't intend on using your furniture much or you really love the look of something and don't care that it will fall apart sooner rather than later then by all means go ahead and buy.

cedes2
12/16/16

sometimes pricey but overall great offering and store experience

karih12
3/23/16

My mother bought me the Organic Shaped Dinnerware for my wedding, full service for 12. I ended up sending back the mugs and dinner plates. I returned the items 6 MONTHS ago. I have spoken with customer service 5 times, for up to 45 minutes each time. They had poor records, name misspellings, the wrong address despite having previously shipped to me. I still have not received the merchandise credit for the dinner plates. I did receive a apology merchandise credit for my hassle, but not the actually credit. Unbelievable. I'm working up the energy to call them for the 6th time to try and get my return.

In addition, in the 6 months I've owned the dishes, I have three bowls and a plate chip, crack, or break. (Compared to my sister's Crate and Barrel which has gone 13 years with no chips or breaks). I was very disappointed in the quality.

THIS IS THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE EVER RECEIVED.

brandonm66
2/4/16

The sofa looked so nice in the store, but it wasn't as nice when I got it in my apartment. Still nice, but not as nice.

camillam6
1/28/16

I've ordered online and been in the stores. The sales staff is extremely helpful, and the merchandise is ultra-cool without the ultra-price.

davidk150
9/1/15

New international shipping which is reliable.

nikkib23
8/10/15

Beautiful products and store layout and appearance. Staff is discriminatingly selective with the help which is to be expected from such an upscale establishment with such lavish furnishings from the exotic East side of Brooklyn,China.Price per piece is fair when you carry a Visa Black card with translucent gold shimmering infinity credit limit.

lg27
4/10/15

Every time I walk into WestElm I find things that I want to buy. I recently ordered two Tulip Chairs in fun colors (so they are being special ordered) and I can't wait to get them into my newly decorated (and more modern) living room!

bethp16
2/27/14

I am frustrated that there is an automatic 10% up-charge for shipping and then a frequent surcharge beyond for furniture items. An item that was just within my budget is suddenly out of my budget. I have not been disappointed with their quality though, as others have.

daisyk
1/5/12

We ordered the tall bed frame online in March 2011 and last week the left side split in half when my fiance sat down. It's now propped up with a short stool and a textbook.

We called Friday and spoke to a customer service rep and she said she would have her manager call us back in 2 hours. Noone called back. In fact, when we called them again they didn't even have a record that we called!!

This time my fiance asked for the first AND last name but she refused to provide it. Supposedly they are sending UPS to come pick up the bed next week.

We boxed up the bed frame and called West Elm again so they can arrange for UPS to pick it up. We told them there were 2 boxes and they repeated it to confirm. When UPS arrived they said they were only told we had 1 box. So we had to call them again. They finally picked it up. In the end they refunded the money for the bed for the full amount. Regardless, it was a nightmare.

bettyd1
9/28/11

I was a bit disappointed with the way their website works. I placed an item in my cart and continued shopping, in the end I had about 10 items and was ready for checkout. I entered my mailing address and then in the next page they told me that the item was sold out!!!!!! It was a sham that went with the duvet I was also buying... needless to say I'm not looking to buy just the duvet without the matching shams. So I contacted their customer service and the lady who was quite nice gave me the numbers of a couple of stores where they might have the shams and who could ship them to me. I called 3 different stores before giving up... what's up with their records? I was so upset I bought nothing in the end. I do love West Elm but my first online shopping experience with them was not so great :(

24 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Questions? Get answers from the West Elm staff and other customers.

West Elm?