Review of TopCV.co.uk

support@topcv.co.uk

50 reviews with 1 star

ahmedm122
5/22/19

I enjoyed viewing my CV from another point of view and I enjoyed the challenge to make it more appealing, my advisors advice was helpful but some comments I didn't fully understand.

santoshb7
5/21/19

SCAM ALERT!!! SCAM ALERT!!! SCAM ALERT!!!

TOPCV should be ashamed of themselves and should be reported to relevant authorities for being a scam.

They don't have a clue what they are doing. There are no expert CV writers involved.
They just formatted my CV to look different and took away all relevant details and added irrelevant ones which I have never done in my career. The writer had no idea what they were doing and it was clear they don't have any expertise in CV writing.

They share an ATS software outcome on your older CV and make you aware of the shortcomings so that you buy their package. I asked them to run the ATS on my new CV made by themselves. This ATS outcome of the new CV was far worse than the older CV's. It showed me to have 10 years less experience than I actually did. The ATS outcome from my older CV was far better and more relevant than the new one as far as my role, work experience, expertise was concerned. They actually made my CV absolutely worse than before.

I have emails to prove my claims.

I won't write any individual names because in all probability, considering the way they conduct business(if you can call it that), the names are fake too.

The new CV removed all relevant and useful details and just added few difficult to read sentences in English. That's all they did.

Stay away. TOPCV doesn't know what they are doing. They are a useless scamming company and cheats with fake claims.

We trust them to make our CV better to enhance our career prospects and pay them our hard earned money but they have no idea what they are doing and make the outcome worse. I was so looking forward to a better version of my CV but all that has just gone down the drain.

The cover letter is no good either. My older cover letter was far better than what generic letter they provided to me. Money wasted.

If you want to get cheated go buy their packages. Else find another better service.
They are a scam and should be out of business. They have no right to run these services.

I am also surprised by how any negative review of TOPCV on any website has immediately been overridden by several short positive reviews on top.

josephl339
5/1/19

****I absolutely implore you NOT TO USE

So, I will do my best to explain why my experience with TOPCV has been nothing but a horrible experience and in turn, I hope others can learn from my experience from the CON Artists that be TOPCV.

Like everyone else i was really taken by their CV Scanner/critique tool and felt they would be the right company to redo my CV. Like everyone else, I read through their reviews, some very bad (I wish I took the hint from that) but mainly decent/good. I Paid my money in good faith and got through the standard blitz of automated email saying 'thanks for your business' and 'you will shortly get a writer for your CV etc' I waited, and waited and waited some more, no writer was assigned and no CV, after 14 plus business days and me chasing up, i got a writer assigned, he sent me over a draft and my goodness, the writer literally found a CV online and copied and pasted my details into the template. MY CV includes skills and jobs I have never had or done, it was written so robotically its unreal. I asked for a refund and i am still waiting. (IF FOR SOME REASON YOU ARE STILL THINKING OF USING TOPCV, READ THEIR TERMS, IT BASICALLY SAYS THAT AT ANY POINT YOU CANT GET A REFUND). Even after the revisions they are still getting the most basic facts wrong on my CV

I am only writing this as I wish I read something similar to this before using TOPCV, dont do it! Take your time and rewrite your own CV, save your money and dont get ripped off.

jayw154
2/21/19

Similar to many of the other reviews on here I see that it's either a full 5 star or a 1. I think I know which ones are genuine.
DO NOT send them any money. The CV I received was appalling in both layout, grammar and tone. Clearly written by someone overseas. The best bits where the parts copied and pasted from my original supposed "poor" CV.
No response to my request for full refund. You will not be able to send a recruiter anything they produce. Plus they took over a week to respond with just standard template emails to keep me waiting..

mikii
2/20/19

They do not ask very in depth your goals and your expectations. They write a super fast "default" CV, Linkedin or cover letter, basically something that whoever could do by himself for free.

Basically you become one of the million people with the same default CV, with no distinction point.
Moreover, the service is incredibly overpriced. Based on my experience I would have paid (for CV, Cletter, Linkedin) maximum 50, while it costed 200.

I asked for a refund, it was impossible. They just proposed another writer, but nothing changed.

Completely useless.

Tip for consumers: Stay away, it is super expensive and they do not deliver any customized service

allenc97
2/12/19

Paid £129 for CV and cover letter. Took them a week to respond. I thought the idea was that they helped you find work. They actually delayed my applications.

filipet2
1/30/19

The more I know about TopCV, the more it looks like a scam.

Starting with these customer reviews, I don't understand why most of them end up with 5 starts or only 1. How there aren't any reasonable satisfied customers? I would guess that 5 stars are fake and the 1 stars are people like me.

Starting with the CV review service which everybody can take because it's free, it came out with some interesting arguments. I wasn't that unhappy with my original CV and I was caught by surprise by so many negative comments about it. But giving the benefit of the doubt to the TopCV "professionals", I tried the most expensive CV writing service which guaranteed one of the top 10% writer who knows my work area.

I was very disappointed with the result as I explain below. So much, that I just gave up on making something out of it. But then I was invited to leave a review on this site and that's when I saw all the other negative reviews and everything started to make sense.

I'm not sure of what is happening back there but the CV Writing almost seems to be done automatically. The first step of the process is to collect more information through an online questionnaire and it felt like I was writing my own CV at that time. If I knew the best answers, I would already have a perfect CV. But, as I had a hard time to provide proper information, the CV came out very inconsistent and strange to say at least. English sentences were very hard to read and understand. And it also has a very old fashioned look.

After reading here some negative user reviews claiming TopCV to be a scam, I had the idea of submitting the CV written by TopCV to their own free CV Review service. Surprise! It came out with almost the same negative comments as my original one and they are completely different.

If the CV Review is an automated fake service giving all the same negative results, why not the writing itself as I suspect. Maybe not completely but don't expect much professional help from TopCV.

Tip for consumers: Don't use it as it looks like a scam

virginiec2
1/11/19

After being rather pleased with their free review, I opted to get my cv rewritten as I had not much spare time or energy to do so.
While I admit my cv was an improvement, my writer Chris was sloppy, had to constantly chase him. They state on their website it typically takes a week or two, NOPE, it took mine over 4 weeks!! They promise 2 revisions, Chris totally ignored me after the first revision, and customer service started ignoring me too. So I just ended up doing the final revision myself! Honestly, save your hard earned cash and use another company.

nickp157
12/28/18

I employed TopCV to write my resume, cover letter and LinkedIn profile. To level of service given by the writer was basic to say the least with many errors and not the professional output I expected

saidas
11/15/18

Not happy at all and very disappointed by the customer service. Bad communication (don't expect a response the same day, I always had to wait the day after). My cv at the end was full of mistakes and does not reflect my abilities and competence. I would never recommend them. I paid £80 for almost nothing. What a shame TopCV:(

philipp107
9/25/18

Paid £99 for a CV after getting a free review, 4 weeks after paying, completing the questionnaire I had heard nothing. I chased and was told they never got it.. I asked why no one had been in touch to make me aware they were waiting/hadn't received anything. By this point I found a job and asked for a refund.. after weeks of chasing I got £49 back and was told there is a £50 cancellation fee.

Absolutely joke. Buyer beware.

abua
8/23/18

These people use unscrupulous practices. My banker described them as fraudulent. Why don't you provide refunds when so many people are disappointed with your services? This is a telling sign.

I signed up for them to take 3 monthly payments. They took 2 weeks to assign someone. In the meantime they snuck into my account and took two payments.

Then, they sent an inferior CV with many errors. There was a five year gap in employment.

I advised my bank to stop payments. My bank refunded two payments. I just noticed a new deduction. I ran to my bank. The manager informed me they are hiring a skip tracer to sneak into people's accounts. My banker said, "They are setting up these 3 monthly payments as a subscription."

A professional company has no problem offering refunds. Why? Because, they know the quality of their work won't require refunds.

What about TopCV?

They operate as TopCv and TopResume.

Beware of TopCV in Europe.
Beware of TopResume in America.

Beware *Beware * Beware

I posted this on TrustPilot. TopCv contacted them to censor it. Take a screenshot and share.

Hey TopCV crooks. Offer refunds if you're a truly reputable company.

mickym12
8/1/18

The first draft contained poor grammar and typos. The cover letter sounded so boastful it was unuseable. No refunds offered if you are dissatisfied with quality of work. Avoid.

jonathans261
7/17/18

I had ordered an update to my CV, as I have been using the same version for years and thought it needed an update. The quality of the draft was so poor that I didn't even bother sending it back with suggestions or otherwise attempt to discuss with the writer. It was a rushed, botched job, done by someone who had no understanding of my area of expertise.

Also, I paid for the 48 hours rush as I needed an updated CV for an interview. The CV was sent too late - after 48 hours - so that I couldn't send it on time and had to use my old CV. Given the appalling quality of the draft, I would not have been able to use it anyway.

peterz43
7/14/18

I purchased the executive package for £212 and paid up front in full. 1st draft was guaranteed within 48 hours or 2 business days. After 4 business days and several emails I still hadn't received anything. I have cancelled my order and I am currently waiting for a refund. I can't tell you if the quality of output would be any Good, but can warn you not to purchase the executive package!

colinh82
7/3/18

Keep your distance!!
I was allocated a CV writer who clearly knew nothing about my sector of work and produced two drafts that I could only describe as illegible. Nothing but a mad scramble of my own CV intended to be more punchy - but sadly lost any kind of meaning.
Complaints raised with my customer liaison officer led me to believe that I was writing to a BOT rather than a person.
Finally an hour with the customer service centre in South Africa before being passed over to the refund department.
My advice - do it yourself!

martino37
5/20/18

SCAM: AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE. Terrible experience. I ordered their "executive" service and in reality they only scramble around what you feed them. The result is way worse that what I had in the first place, no matter how many drafts they send. They're NOT native english writers, in reality they just outsource it to someone from India. And forget about getting your money back without suing them.

angiem84
5/18/18

This is a scam. I did a better job doing my own cv. I am a process improvements expert and they changed my words to make me sound like a strategy expert.

My friend in HR said she would reject my CV if I send her this format, it's too chaotic and recruiter has to hunt for information which no recruiter has time for.

I was told I will have an expert on Swiss German market, she obviously did not have any idea. Her CV writing skills were not only terrible, but not even catered to the Swiss market.

I'm so angry and disappointed for wasting my money on this company.

danielb443
5/9/18

Appalling cv review! They perverted every sentence in my original cv so that they changed the original meaning (sometimes to the opposite). They "invented" new skills for me while dropping the real ones! I am shocked by this "service". They must be trialed in a court. This scam can't just continue anymore!

jacquiej2
5/7/18

I believe that the comments saying it is a professional service are fake. CV didn't arrive within specified 48 hours service time. Full of mistakes, spelling, grammar, dates, old font and layout Didn't get a single response. I'm going to take this to court as it has been a shambles start to finish.

irmab8
5/2/18

I am a solicitor and I have been working in the field (corporate finance) in international law firms for the past 6 years. I contacted TopCv because I was looking to smarten up and refresh my CV before starting my job hunt. I received the first draft nearly three weeks after the first submission. Both CV and cover letter were a disaster: typos, mistakes, no understanding of the field's legal jargon, inaccurate factually (although the experiences were clearly set out both in the resume I sent them and also in the questionnaire I provided them with). The writer clearly had no understanding of the sector I operate in and it clearly showed. I sent them a mark-up and explained that i essentially had to re-write the CV and told them I needed to be paired with someone who had expertise in the legal sector in order to receive a product that I could use. They simply came back with a clean copy of my CV incorporating some of my comments. The final product cannot be used not only in the legal sector, but also in any other fields. A complete disaster - I would definitely stay away form them.

tiiav1
4/17/18

PAID FOR THE CV REWRITE NEARLY A MONTH AGO- THE DL WAS TODAY 17TH APRIL. NO SHOW- WTF??
ALL I GET THAT I SHOULD BE PAIRED WITH A WRITER SHORTLY. WHAT A LOAD A BOLLOCKS!

brettc28
3/29/18

Don't be a fool like me and pay these criminals to smarten up your CV. I was dumb enough to fall for their slick campaign, thank goodness I didn't pay for their premium package. The first CV was full of inaccuracies and what I best describe as masturbatory language. My corrections, suggestions, and questions were ignored as the second draft was barely different. On my complaint, they offered a 'new' writer - this was more than three weeks ago. My request for a refund - ignored.

They are also very shifty when I asked about their company status in the UK; only gave an address of a shared office but no more info - the fact is they don't have one. Their 'parent' company Talent Inc is in New York and if you check out posts about Top Resume on Quora you see they are shifty there too. So without a legal entity in UK or EU it be difficult to hold them to count.

So if you are foolhardy enough or believe the fake 5-stars reviews, just remember if it goes all pear shape they refuse (legally or not) to refund you. Hopefully the police will pick up on this scam.

Tip for consumers: Avoid. It's a scam. Because they have no legal entity in UK or EU it's very difficult to get your dispute resolved. If you've been scammed, raise this matter with your MP, bank, credit card, police, consumer watchdogs, etc.

salema7
3/17/18

My review of TOPCV

My overall experience was poor. I was very impressed by John's initial assessment of my CV. I immediately felt like I needed his service. I looked at the prices and could not afford the cost. I asked for a discount which you guys gave me but little did I know that the discount also took away the cover letter option. I was given a different package, not a discount.

I also find out that the person who assessed my CV is not the person who's writing to improve it, which created a discrepancy in what I expected and what I eventually got. Also, there's no mention of how long you take until after the purchase. I assumed it would be fast, as John assessed my portfolio within a day. Instead, you offer upsells right after the purchase. I got the CV too late as I had to apply within five days.

vd29
3/17/18
• Updated review

Now informed that all sales are final and there are no refunds! Being referred to writer #3. Have wasted one month culminating with poor results.. Anyone reading this please note and avoid this service. Or seek legal advice if you are in my predicament..

“Not fit for purpose service..”
3/8/18
• Previous review

Having availed of this service and receiving poor results after a second re-write, I would advise anyone to avoid this service at all cost. My revamped CV consisted of a dump of superlatives with no reference to my actual job role.. It focused on secondary tasks as ACHIEVEMENTS! Used ridiculous phrases such as "spearheaded a project".. Its supposed to be collaborative but there is a poor reaction to your feedback .. I literally spent hours constructing an email to explain my job role only to have excerpts of this inserted into the revised cv and fluffed up with more superlatives.. PLEASE AVOID.. My TOPCV is not fit for purpose and worthy of the Trash can. Requested a refund as currently unemployed!

Hi Liz, We do offer LinkedIn services. We'll help you write a profile statement, as well as help you list out your experiences.

By Jenna M., TopCV.co.uk Representative

Congratulations. Your cv is under review by Top.cv team. You'll will be contacted by gmail shortly in couple of days after thorough review. This review is FREE OF COST. However, if you seek help from professional cv writer to rectify the shortcomings of your cv, if any, then payment is the option. But, I assure you that this is going to be a THRILLING EXPERIENCE. Thanks

By Muhammad M.

Questions? Get answers from the TopCV.co.uk staff and other customers.

5 Photos for TopCV.co.uk