Review of Swap.com

Tel: 630-296-0146
assistance@swap.com

jillp100
1/20/19

Before you shop at Swap.com, you need to know that each individual article is wrapped in plastic. This company does not care about their environmental impact. You can find other online second hand sites that use tissue paper in their packaging or, even better, no individual packaging at all.

aprilp89
1/20/19

I have sent in items to Swap for years. They have always paid me on time and inform me of every sale. They state they take 3 months to process, which many sellers clearly dont understand. And they charge for boxes to be shipped so sellers dont get the money they thought, because they subtract the shipping costs. This is all on the website. The company has a,right to change their percentages if they choose as business changes. I was given the old percentage for the items that I sent before the change! And the new percentage for those sent after the change. People expect top dollar when they are doing nothing but sending old clothes in a box, really? This company has gotten so many bad reviews because of other peoples lack of understanding. No company/employees are,perfect and listing may be incorrect sometimes. This is human error. As a seller on Ebay as well, this happens. Why is nobody able to see things from the others persons perspective anymore??

ryellef
1/4/19

Swap hasn't accepted inbound shipments for over nine months. They lowered the pay for sellers at a paltry average of 10c per garment if the sellers elect to cash out. Sellers receive less money for their traditionally sold goods. Swap no longer ships items in a logo-emblazoned box/bag but in a standard brown cardboard box/plain gray bag. They no longer send refunds, but instead, issue a store credit for returned items. Investors have reneged most likely because there is little if any moneymaking potential. Swap has laid off almost 200 employees, who have filed a class action lawsuit, alleging that Swap has violated the WARN Act. Swap's lowest sale prices on ladies' tops have fallen to $2-$3. They have increased special/clearance sales to multiple sales per week, with many of their listings recognized by frequent buyers as never-sellers. (Don't they ever get rid of stale inventory?) Some items appear to me to be randomly repeated to boost inventory numbers. Swap is posting information such as supposedly having almost caught up on inbounds by September, 2018, yet they are still refusing inbounds. They've posted denials that they are closing, but have given a single-word reason for layoffs as 'financial.' Overall, Swap appears to be liquidating. They are obviously focusing more on income rather than outgo. In my opinion, all the aforementioned signs point to eventual business failure. If you have a store credit with them, use it ASAP. Tomorrow they may be gone. Don't expect a warning. I do not revel in Swap's woes because I've enjoyed buying and selling with this company, and want to continue doing so; however, I perceive unreliability and it is very unsettling. I wish that Swap would either return to business as usual or hang it up.

aubreyd26
1/1/19

They used to be great. They used to let you set your prices and the fees were way lower. The mismanagement of this pathetic company started becoming clear when the fees went up, then again, and finally they took away the ability to set your own prices. I am barely getting anything back and they want to charge me to send my own property back because they changed the contract on items that were sent in prior to the change. I'm going to let them keep doing it so I can have a bigger case when I finally sue them. Anyone want to jump on? This company is garbage now. Do not send anything to them, they will mess you over! I got back $33 for items I probably paid at least four times as much for. They should be shut down for breach of contract alone. I won't be surprised when they shut down. Their management is a joke.

lauraw324
12/22/18

I used to make a decent amount of money on swap.com when I could set my own prices. I recommended it to many friends. However, since they've changed their pricing model, I now make less than 50 cents on average per piece of clothing. It's honestly not worth it. I'd rather give the clothing away. Looking for a new place to sell.

kimt198
12/16/18

I RECENTLY ORDERED FROM THREE ON LINE THRIFT SHOPS RESTICH, THRED UP AND SWAP.COM , I HAVE TO SAY THIS ONE IS THE WORST, I ORDERED A PAIR OF BOOTS AND WHEN I GOT THEM THEY LOOKED NOTHING LIKE THE PICTURE IT WOULD COST ME 3 TIMES WHAT I PAID FOR THEM TO SEND THEM BACK, ALSO THE PANTS HAD SOME STAINS AND THE SHIRTS WERE REALLY WORN, ITS A OK PLACE IF YOU UNDERSTAND THAT ITS A VERY USED CLOTHING STORE MY RECOMMENDATION GO ELSE WHERE

kerrym136
11/30/18

I used to love to sell on Swap. Not anymore. The fees are outrageous now and I can hardly earn any money. A year ago I could make a couple of hundred dollars a month. Now I am lucky if I make $10. Not kidding!! The last box I sent in got so many rejections that I will never use them again to sell. It was like they stopped half way through the box, decided they were done working for the day and tossed them to the rejects. There were no stickers on them indicating what the issues were. It seemed like they didn't even touch them. And what are you going to do about it? There's nothing to do. You can't even see what the issues are until you get them sent back to you. Entire site seems like a total scam anymore. I quit selling and buying from them. No more. I went to Thredup instead.

erinf62
11/28/18

They used to have hundreds of items load every day. Mostly awesome brands/good quality. I'd have 20-30 items in my "storage" that I would have shipped every few weeks. In the last four months things have taken a drastic turn for the worst. Some days no new items are loaded in any category. Brands have gone down hill and prices gone up. I've messaged swap multiple times about this only to get a generic response. Something is not right. I miss the old swap :(

shawnal21
11/28/18

I have sold to Thredup for a few years and made over 1,000. I tried swap because they take more items. I sent a full box of quality items (I am not new to the process so I didn't send poor quality) and I received negative 21.90!!! I owe them money. IF all of my items sell I will make a whole 10 cents. I am not using this site again. Buying might be fine but please consider other options for selling!

tf145
11/14/18

Bad experiences, both selling and buying. When buying, beware - sizes are not accurate, descriptions are not accurate, brands are not accurate. Bought a pair of slacks - well, for all their "high standards" for acceptance of used clothing, these slacks REEKED of patchouli oil. There is no way this could have been missed, the stench is enough to knock you down. Four washings have not shifted the stink and they're going into the trash. I've had similar experiences with other garments - wrinkled, dirty, worn, not the brand or fabric described. Lots of items listed on the website are crumpled, as if they were pulled out of the bottom of the massive pile of clothing they show on their site as their "sorting process". They don't bother to steam or press them to make them look decent.

Selling: when you send clothes to be consigned, they say lots of things aren't up to their standards (guess they want them drenched with patchouli oil), even when they do meet the standards. Now you can't even set prices for the things they do accept - they do that, and they absolutely lowball. The longer the garments are listed, the lower the prices go, until you only get pennies for something that doesn't sell fast. Then they charge you for shipping. You won't end up with much. I shifted from direct deposit to credit on site, thinking I would do better that way, but for the last year, the clothing on their site is simply ghastly, far from in style and often wrinkled and gross looking. I haven't spent a cent of credit.

Swap.com hasn't been accepting consignments from individuals for over a year now. Lots of retailers are dumping the clothingthey can't sell there as well - you find multiple listings in different sizes of the same garments. That is some factory outlet store dumping the trash even they can't sell to make a couple of dollars. So if you're just a lowly person wanting to do something other than sending used clothes to a landfill or to a charity to be torn up for rags - you're out of luck. Gotta make room for all that out of style Lane Bryant rubbish.

Then there's always that wonderful patchouli oil reek. These people put on the dog, but they don't deliver, for either buying or selling. Stay away.

sl147
10/26/18

Have sole a lot on Swap over the last 2 years with great results...so great that I WAS recommending Swap to everyone. Not any more! Sent 2 boxes of consignment quality items into Swap back in Feb. They finally loaded it into my system in August. Reject a lot of items that I could've made money & consigned locally. Gave me an option to donate the rejects.(..do they REALLY donate them?!?!?!) They also charged me a $10 "high reject fee". Meanwhile, I've sold about 15 items on Swap & haven't made a single penny since it all went towards the shipping and reject fees. WHAT A TOTAL RIPOFF!! I should charge you for holding my items so long that they're now out of season. Sellers beware!! Don't bother with Swap. You might as well just give it away...Less frustration & more satisfaction!!

oliviac63
10/12/18

Besides the fact it takes MONTHS for them to process the boxes they received, I am rather happy with their service. I get 2 payouts a month and they are decent. They do price things weird sometimes and get brands wrong on occasion but overall I have been happy with the small stream of income trickling in every month form them. Hope they start taking inbound shipments again!!!

delphineb5
10/8/18

I have 26 high quality items (they passed their stringent acceptance rules, which seem to only apply when you sell items but not when you buy them!) This includes jeans, button up shirts, maybe NWT. They're "generously" offering me $10.71 credit for ALL 26 items!!! Or I can donate them, or I can have them shipped back to me for $23??? Absolutely ridiculous, DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH!!!

amberd126
10/2/18

I have purchased many things from swap and you sorta never know what you are gonna get. Sometimes items are very nice other times they are horrible. I have found that too many times the picture as well as description does not accurately describe the item. Now as for selling. I sent a box in long ago, honestly I forgot all about it until I started receiving emails a couple weeks ago stating that I sold an item. Many of the items I sent in were new, forever 21 as well as 21 Men, of great quality and not cheap clothing. As of thos week they have sold probably 10 of my items for prices ranging from 5 to 13 dollars per item. I received a payout of 6.98. That is really ridiculous. You are better off selling on ebay or I would have even preferred to give the clothing away free on offerup for prices like that. I'm pretty much done with swap altogether.

kendallb28
10/1/18

Ive sold over 24 items so far on Swap, and not once have I gotten a payout. They keep telling me that all of the money goes towards my shipping fee and after doing the math I've definitely exceeded that. Scam.

Response from Jen P., Swap.com Representative
Hello Kendall,

We would like to further investigate the details on your account and further explain any questions you may have. You may reach out to our customer service team at assistance@swap.com or 630-296-0146. If you can provide your user ID and/or email address, we can review your payout detail and provider clearer explanation of what has transpired.

mariek83
9/25/18

I have sent 3 EMAILS AND I GET THE SAME RESPONSE. Still processing. Sorry for the inconvenience. NO, I'm sorry I sent SWAP.COM MY STUFF!!

Response from Jen P., Swap.com Representative
Hello Marie,

We sincerely apologize it took longer than anticipated to process your inbound shipment. Due to the influx in sellers wanting to utilize our service, we had a significant amount of shipments sent to us. On March 30, 2018, we temporarily suspended taking new inbounds in an effort to get caught up. We are almost completely caught up and will be reviewing our seller strategy moving forward. If your box has not processed at this time, please advise so we may further research this.

Again, we sincerely apologize for the delay.

imi1
9/25/18

Customer service and user interface is gone downhill. I've recieved multiple orders that were "not as adverised", sizes being way off and items being different colors. Used to be a good dependable place now it's a gamble so I won't be going to Swap anymore.

Response from Jen P., Swap.com Representative
Hello,

We apologize for any recent poor experience you had in working with our customer service team. If you have specific examples you would like to share regarding the type of service you received, I would greatly appreciate it. I would like to understand the concerns so I may address them with my team.

We would like to better understand your concerns so we may rectify them for you. You can reach our customer service at assistance@swap.com or 630-296-0146.

sophies9
9/23/18

I have been a customer of Swap.com for 6 years. It used to be an outstanding business run by helpful, kind people. Things have changed. Customer Service is rude and unhelpful. Items are not correctly described and are often in very bad shape. They say they have a "no hassle guarantee" but that is a lie since they won't refund your payment when items are returned. The items were so badly worn that I would've been embarrassed donating then to Salvation Army. Customer service as insult to injury. The agent I've dealt with is Phillip and he is rude and snarky. I would just avoid this company entirely. They are dishonest and have no desire to make their customers content.

Response from Jen P., Swap.com Representative
Hello Sophie,

We apologize for any recent poor experience you had in working with our customer service team. If you have specific examples you would like to share regarding the type of service you received, I would greatly appreciate it. We do not have a Phillip, however I would like to understand the concerns so I may address them with my team.

Regarding our return policy, we provide store credit or credit back to the original form or payment based on the reason for returns. Our return policy is displayed via a link for each item you add to our cart, and the return policy is also in our "Help" center as well.

amt2
9/21/18

I have had nothing but the most positive of experiences both buying and selling on swap.com. I recommend them all the time without hesitation. They stopped taking inbound shipments from sellers late in the Spring and I was hoping they'd start taking them again soon, but alas, not yet. However throughout it all, I am still seeing great items being added. My items that they have are continuing to be sold and the payments are coming in a timely fashion. It would be lovely if they could update their inbound status to let us know if and when they plan to start taking inbound again. If they aren't I understand and I'd look to send my items elsewhere to be sold or traded.

jaimet24
9/18/18

I've had a good experience with Swap, though have had to be very patient for my items to be uploaded and then sold (sometimes up to a year after posting). I was worried when it initially took over three months for them to acknowledge the items I sent, but realize now that they were completed overwhelmed with inbound shipments. I am happily awaiting the day when they accept inbound shipments again.

tamarad10
9/14/18

I had good luck with my first few purchases. The last one... will be my last one. The description of the clothing items was wrong (in terms of fabric and style). I even went to the company websites to make sure that the tags in the photos matched the styles I was seeking. Yes, these items are used/pre-owned; but, I like a deal (though, prices on this site are pretty high and shipping runs $5 per item). Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back. I got the items and immediately knew they were off. I followed the return instructions. Immediately packed them back up and shipped them off. After a week, I was notified that I got half a refund and the other half was store credit. I don't want store credit. Too bad. I'm stuck with it. So, in a nutshell: Buyer Beware. Stick with your local thrift store. If you want something brand name, try a discount store.

Response from Jen P., Swap.com Representative
Hello,

We sincerely apologize you had recent concerns with our return policy. Our policy outlines that you will receive store credit or credit back to the original form of payment based on the reason for the return. This policy is outlined in our "Help" center on our website, as well as there is a link to this policy upon adding each item to your cart.
We appreciate your purchases, and if there is something specific we need to follow up on regarding your return reasons, please feel free to reach out to our customer service team at 630-296-0146 or at assistance@swap.com.

ariannat2
9/6/18

Recently I've been trying a variety of second-hand online sites/shops. Before doing so, I've read all the reviews. swap was the one I was the most nervous about. I was pleasantly surprised by my experience, however. I just received my items. They were delivered before expected, exactly, or better, than described. I'm not sure if it's "beginner's luck"or maybe after so many negative reviews it is making a turn around. I'm very happy, I will shop from swap again, I will continue to review, bad or good.

barbarah409
8/29/18

I have shopped and sold with swap.com for years. This year I went to send a box in April and the inbound link was gone. When I called they gave the excuse of being bombarded with too many boxes the last time the link was active, this isn't true since they only have a limited amount of labels you can print before that link disappears like it has in previous years. Then I heard about the class action lawsuit... that cant be helping. Now I get daily alerts of new items from Swap and there used to me almost 200 items a day being uploaded, now I see only 1/4 of that. Also when I called 1 1/2 months ago, they told me they were backlogged and only working on the end of March..... ok, but if they stopped taking inbound in the middle of April .... wouldn't they be running out of boxes and hence the very few uploaded items I see today.. And yet the link is still inactive. Something is not right and I am uncomfortable enough that anything that was worth real money I asked for back, and received... but I feel like they are going out of business and they aren't being forthcoming about it. I used to love them.... now, I'm cautious to even buy from them and have to make sure I ship anything I buy asap in case they close their doors and my clothes are stuck where I cannot get them.

wendil4
8/25/18

Don't bother selling on this site. With shipping and additional fees you will get next to nothing for our stuff. It also takes them months to post your items. Sell your stuff for a quarter each at a rummage sale and you will make more money.

Response from Jen P., Swap.com Representative
Hello Wendi,

We sincerely apologize you have had some frustrations with selling on Swap.com. We are very sorry that our processing time has taken longer than anticipated. We received an increase in sellers who wanted to partner with us, so we closed taking new inbounds on March 30 in order to catch up with our volume. Our current commission model pays on a tiered structure. If you have specific questions regarding your payouts, please don't hesitate to contact us at assistance@swap.com or via phone at 630-296-0146.

shannonh153
8/17/18

I sent in a box of items to sell on Swap. They received it May 8th. I have not heard a damn thing back despite inquiries... They are over whelmed is the response I get. Its August 17th and I want my box back....nothing from them.

Response from Jen P., Swap.com Representative
Hello Shannon,

We greatly apologize for the delay in processing your inbound shipment. We are currently processing inbound shipments from 4/9.

We have received a significant increase in inbound shipments, so our processing time is outside our 60 day window. In order to catch up with our inbounds, we closed receiving inbounds on March 30.

Again we greatly apologize for the inconvenience. We will be processing your inbound shipment as quickly as possible. Once your items have been processed you will receive an email notification.

Thank you for your patience.

Swap.com

I have only placed one order so far. I ordered 10 blouses. I returned 5, due to size issues. All 10 blouses were nice, but 5 did not fit quite right due to different manufacturer's. You need to get an RMA # for returns. I was promptly refunded my money for the 5 blouses . I would order again in the future. I am not aware of any return quantity restrictions. Hope this helps.

By Eva M.

If you want to sell clothes, all the information is on their website. Basically, they get a percentage and then they pay you thru an existing PayPal account that you set up.

By Dawn W.

I don't think so. I've sold and from my experience it varies. The things that I thought would sell first, haven't sold yet. It varies by what people are looking for at the time. I've bought all different seasons at random times. I buy by what's a great deal. When selling, group like items together. I've noticed multiple things sell first.

By Cassi E.

There's no way for them to go over prices. They have to see the items and determine from going over it, if it's acceptable, once it's accepted, then you have to determine the price you want to sell it for. You could try searching on their site for similar items and see what they are priced at. I did notice when pricing my items that I'd get a little notice with recommended prices, which was very helpful. I didn't have a good experience selling but many others have. Make sure you take pictures of your items, that's very important. I appreciated that their site is set up to allow you to take back your items if you changed your mind about selling them. I'm in the process of getting back my items. Hopefully it works out well and I get all my items back.

By Barb W.

BOLINGBROOK, IL US

By Danisha B.

Hi Mary, I would like to help you with your request. If you you could send me an email I would like to personally review your account and see what I can do for you. I know that we can help you. Best, Matt Manager, Customer Experience matt@swap.com

By Jen P., Swap.com Representative

Hi Patricia, We are on about a 55-60 day delay in processing inbound shipments. When your items are processed, you will be notified via email that they are ready to be priced. Have you sent an email to our support team at assistance@swap.com yet? A member of our team can look up your account information and give you a better idea of exact when you can expect to see your items. Thank you, Lauren Swap.com Support Manager

By Jen P., Swap.com Representative

I have only had one experience with this site as a buyer. I bought a 1X BB Dakota sheer sheath tunic/dress. I received the dress promptly, but it was very undersized through the chest, bust and hips. On top of that, there were no fabric content or care labels and there were snaps at each shoulder indicating that there should have been an underlining. Swap.com offered me a store credit, but I would have to pay return shipping. I think that sizing and reviews should be provided for each item. Also this same dress was listed different ways on their site - as a tunic and as a dress. It was so plentiful that it would lead me to believe that the dress just doesn't fit true to size. So buyer beware when it comes to sizing.

By Alane D.

Lime Clean? I don't think so. I've heard they don't clean ANYTHING that comes in.

By Shelley B.

I am generally a size 16. This varies from a regular 16 and 16W depending on the label. The good thing w/this site is that you can return the items free of charge. I hope that helps.

By Sonia H.
Questions? Get answers from the Swap.com staff and other customers.

Swap.com?