Review of Swap.com

Tel: 630-296-0146
assistance@swap.com

marissam67
4/23/19

I've sold on Swap for a couple years with an average reject rate of 24%. That was considered OK and I was chosen as a Premier Seller when Swap's policies recently changed. So, under the new policies, I sent my first box of about 70+ ladies' tops to Swap with the same quality of clothing I'd always sent. One third of the items were new with tags. They rejected 60% of my clothing, including two pair of new shoes. My second box's processing is pending. I'll see what happens with the second box, which I shouldn't have sent before I knew the reject rate on the first (live and learn). If the results are similar with this box, I'm through with them. It appears that they would rather make money from fines imposed on highly rejected items or other such 'violations' rather than selling clothing. They can deduct all they want, when they want. because I can sell my remaining clothing elsewhere. If I end up owing them money, they can sue me. (Their court filing fees cost more than what I'd owe.) I am not going to appeal their decision. They aren't worth my time. Their policies are constantly changing because they are in financial trouble. They lost investors, are undergoing a former-employee class action suit, and now, they are going to lose a lot of sellers. Swap.com is becoming Scam.com. It's a shame that a company has to resort to nefarious tactics just to keep their head above water. I don't mind buying from them; but it appears that I will no longer sell on their devious site.

darlenea32
3/28/19

Stay away!!! Go to another company to sell you clothing. I'm reporting swap.com to the BBB and attorney general.

Response from Jen P., Swap.com Representative
Hello Darlene,

We are very sorry for your current frustrations. We would really like to help you understand your compensation on items sold thus far. Per our policy, your inbound processing fees will be deducted from your proceeds, so we would like to review this and better explain the process to you. Please feel free to reach out to our Customer Service Team at assistance@swap.com or 630-296-0146.

jenniferc817
3/27/19

Swap.com website claims to have paid out amounts to my account, yet PayPal nor my bank account show any record of such payment.

Response from Jen P., Swap.com Representative
Hello Jennifer,

We are very sorry to hear that you have not seen your payout amounts, and we would like to provide an overview for you. For clarification, last fall we began using Bill.com for payouts instead of PayPal. Please feel free to reach out to our Customer Service Team at assistance@swap.com or 630-296-0146, and we can help to make sure you are set up accordingly for payouts via Bill.com.

We apologize for any frustrations.

rosem332
3/9/19

I have been with swap since it was a media swap site. It went through several changes from ripping off at its height with you sending in a box full of
clothes and getting a fair amount for your clothing based in the prices you set. Now swap
Keeps 80%of most sales. This is because they now control and set the prices. This compounded with the fact that the suresell feauture, which used to allow you to sell your item directly to swap for a lot less, is now down to about a dime per item.

I know
I accepted the terms but swap ensured me the new model would be more financially beneficial. I'd be better off donating my things. It seems to me that swap now has a means to incentivize the sure sell feature by offering such a low commission. I wonder what they're doing with all our nice clothes they offered us 1" cents a piece for?

Response from Jen P., Swap.com Representative
Hello Rose,

Thank you for being a seller with Swap.com. We apologize you have some current frustrations with our program.

Swap.com provides the most competitive commission structure in the marketplace, and I've included the link to our commission structure below:

Regarding the pricing of items, we have taken on the pricing of items to make sure there is consistency in the pricing of item brands. Prior to us pricing items, we would have similar items on the site for a wide price range, and this was not conducive to our buyers. We price items accordingly to ensure we receive the greatest profit possible for each particular item.

If you have further questions regarding our process, please reach out to Customer Service at 630-296-0146 or assistance@swap.com.

darleneg52
3/3/19

We sent a large box to swap.com and the box was filled with lovely clothing, several items were in like new condition. We paid fees on top of fees from the beginning and received several emails indicating sales but we have a few dollars. The sad reality is that the clothing belongs to our teenager who sees a bad example here. Do not, do not send anything to them!

Response from Jen P., Swap.com Representative
Hello Darlene,

Thank you for selling with Swap.com. Per our policy, you have your $11.90 inbound processing fee to pay, and this is deducted from your sales proceeds, and continues to be deducted until it has been paid.

In addition, per our policy, if you select cash payout, the payout will not happen until you've reached $10 in sales proceeds. If you take a store credit payout, that will be paid out on the scheduled payout dates.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to reach out to our Customer Service Team at 630-296-0146 or assistance@swap.com.

sonyal33
2/24/19

After reading reviews on this site, I was worried after placing an order with this company that I'd regret it. But it's been a great buying experience and I've now ordered three times. The women's clothing items I've ordered in "good condition" have been exactly that, ranging from excellent to very good and all certainly in wearable condition. The prices, especially for marked down items, are fantastic -- half the price of other sites if you get free shipping. You will get some items that might be a little stretched or something, but these can be returned for free, so you've lost nothing. I do recommend shopping the site on a screen large enough to enlarge pretty well; the photos are good enough for you to see any fade, etc, that you won't be happy with after buying, but you have to click and have a decent sized screen ie, tablet not phone, in my case). Boys clothes are good too -- just be aware that sizes are more variable - a size 14 can mean 12-14 or 14-16. Also, create an account before you place you first order. If you don't, you can get the refund from your purchase as a guest posted to the account just by coping the key that's sent to the email you used as a guest, but you do have to take that extra step. Overall, keep in mind that it is an online thrift store, not a new store, and you'll be very pleased!

Tip for consumers: Use the filters to focus your search on brands, colors, and fabric content or you'll be overwhelmed with number of items!

Response from Jen P., Swap.com Representative
Hello Sonya,

Thank you very much for taking time out of your busy schedule to post this review! We are extremely pleased to hear that you love our online consignment shop! Our goal is to make shopping easy and affordable, helping our customers find a wonderful treasure. We appreciate your detailed feedback, and reminding other potential customers that these items are pre-owned! Our merchandising team closely reviews each product to ensure we are putting the best quality merchandise on our site! Thank you for being a vested partner, and providing feedback that allows us to continue to grow! We look forward to a continued partnership!

reginas122
Regina S.
2/12/19

Buyer beware! Multiple items in different sizes can be bundled and are only labeled as one size. Return policy is crap, as you are out at least 50% of your shipping costs. Talking to customer service is useless, they could care less and come off as very hostile. I messaged customer support and spoke to representative Bria McCallum who was very unfriendly and only put the seller first when it was their and swap.com's mistake. Never again!

Response from Jen P., Swap.com Representative
Hello Regina,

We sincerely apologize the service you've received has not met your expectations. We strive to provide outstanding customer service, so I am very sorry to hear you received service that was less than acceptable. I will reach out to you directly to better understand the customer service situation, as it is important for my team to learn from specific feedback. We strive to provide outstanding service, so your specific feedback would be much appreciated.

lees314
2/2/19

My Wife and I have placed three orders with Swap.com for a variety of items ranging from a plush Dragon & two toys in their original packages, to baby/toddlers outfits, a pair of boots, women's shirts, men's shorts, a blazer, and a man's short sleeve shirt. I have so far been pleasantly surprised at the quality of merchandise and the accurate sizing of the clothing on the first two orders. Just placed the third order today so time will tell, so unless the third order is completely hosed up, we will continue to purchase from Swap.com. I have had limited to no expectations regarding Swap.com other than if the quality of merchandise met or exede to quality of clothing that I occasionally by at local Goodwill or Thrift Stores then my wife and I will continue supplementing our second hand shopping with Swap.com

Response from Jen P., Swap.com Representative
Hello Lee,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to write this review! We are very happy to hear that your experiences with Swap.com have gone well, and that you have been pleased with the items you've received. We take great pride in making sure we add the best items to our site. Our goal is to make shopping easy and affordable.

We appreciate your feedback, and we value the feedback we receive. Feedback is what allows us to continue to grow and fine tun our processes.

Thank you for your partnership!

mjh19
1/25/19

I bought pants that were described as a size four, but could fit two people in them. Swap.com refuses to give me a refund, though I returned the items, because it claims the item was accurately described. Their customer service people are difficult; continuing to just repeat themselves instead of helping.

jillp100
1/20/19

Before you shop at Swap.com, you need to know that each individual article is wrapped in plastic. This company does not care about their environmental impact. You can find other online second hand sites that use tissue paper in their packaging or, even better, no individual packaging at all.

aprilp89
1/20/19

I have sent in items to Swap for years. They have always paid me on time and inform me of every sale. They state they take 3 months to process, which many sellers clearly dont understand. And they charge for boxes to be shipped so sellers dont get the money they thought, because they subtract the shipping costs. This is all on the website. The company has a,right to change their percentages if they choose as business changes. I was given the old percentage for the items that I sent before the change! And the new percentage for those sent after the change. People expect top dollar when they are doing nothing but sending old clothes in a box, really? This company has gotten so many bad reviews because of other peoples lack of understanding. No company/employees are,perfect and listing may be incorrect sometimes. This is human error. As a seller on Ebay as well, this happens. Why is nobody able to see things from the others persons perspective anymore??

ryellef
1/4/19

Swap hasn't accepted inbound shipments for over nine months. They lowered the pay for sellers at a paltry average of 10c per garment if the sellers elect to cash out. Sellers receive less money for their traditionally sold goods. Swap no longer ships items in a logo-emblazoned box/bag but in a standard brown cardboard box/plain gray bag. They no longer send refunds, but instead, issue a store credit for returned items. Investors have reneged most likely because there is little if any moneymaking potential. Swap has laid off almost 200 employees, who have filed a class action lawsuit, alleging that Swap has violated the WARN Act. Swap's lowest sale prices on ladies' tops have fallen to $2-$3. They have increased special/clearance sales to multiple sales per week, with many of their listings recognized by frequent buyers as never-sellers. (Don't they ever get rid of stale inventory?) Some items appear to me to be randomly repeated to boost inventory numbers. Swap is posting information such as supposedly having almost caught up on inbounds by September, 2018, yet they are still refusing inbounds. They've posted denials that they are closing, but have given a single-word reason for layoffs as 'financial.' Overall, Swap appears to be liquidating. They are obviously focusing more on income rather than outgo. In my opinion, all the aforementioned signs point to eventual business failure. If you have a store credit with them, use it ASAP. Tomorrow they may be gone. Don't expect a warning. I do not revel in Swap's woes because I've enjoyed buying and selling with this company, and want to continue doing so; however, I perceive unreliability and it is very unsettling. I wish that Swap would either return to business as usual or hang it up.

aubreyd26
1/1/19

They used to be great. They used to let you set your prices and the fees were way lower. The mismanagement of this pathetic company started becoming clear when the fees went up, then again, and finally they took away the ability to set your own prices. I am barely getting anything back and they want to charge me to send my own property back because they changed the contract on items that were sent in prior to the change. I'm going to let them keep doing it so I can have a bigger case when I finally sue them. Anyone want to jump on? This company is garbage now. Do not send anything to them, they will mess you over! I got back $33 for items I probably paid at least four times as much for. They should be shut down for breach of contract alone. I won't be surprised when they shut down. Their management is a joke.

lauraw324
12/22/18

I used to make a decent amount of money on swap.com when I could set my own prices. I recommended it to many friends. However, since they've changed their pricing model, I now make less than 50 cents on average per piece of clothing. It's honestly not worth it. I'd rather give the clothing away. Looking for a new place to sell.

kimt198
12/16/18

I RECENTLY ORDERED FROM THREE ON LINE THRIFT SHOPS RESTICH, THRED UP AND SWAP.COM , I HAVE TO SAY THIS ONE IS THE WORST, I ORDERED A PAIR OF BOOTS AND WHEN I GOT THEM THEY LOOKED NOTHING LIKE THE PICTURE IT WOULD COST ME 3 TIMES WHAT I PAID FOR THEM TO SEND THEM BACK, ALSO THE PANTS HAD SOME STAINS AND THE SHIRTS WERE REALLY WORN, ITS A OK PLACE IF YOU UNDERSTAND THAT ITS A VERY USED CLOTHING STORE MY RECOMMENDATION GO ELSE WHERE

kerrym136
11/30/18

I used to love to sell on Swap. Not anymore. The fees are outrageous now and I can hardly earn any money. A year ago I could make a couple of hundred dollars a month. Now I am lucky if I make $10. Not kidding!! The last box I sent in got so many rejections that I will never use them again to sell. It was like they stopped half way through the box, decided they were done working for the day and tossed them to the rejects. There were no stickers on them indicating what the issues were. It seemed like they didn't even touch them. And what are you going to do about it? There's nothing to do. You can't even see what the issues are until you get them sent back to you. Entire site seems like a total scam anymore. I quit selling and buying from them. No more. I went to Thredup instead.

erinf62
11/28/18

They used to have hundreds of items load every day. Mostly awesome brands/good quality. I'd have 20-30 items in my "storage" that I would have shipped every few weeks. In the last four months things have taken a drastic turn for the worst. Some days no new items are loaded in any category. Brands have gone down hill and prices gone up. I've messaged swap multiple times about this only to get a generic response. Something is not right. I miss the old swap :(

shawnal21
11/28/18

I have sold to Thredup for a few years and made over 1,000. I tried swap because they take more items. I sent a full box of quality items (I am not new to the process so I didn't send poor quality) and I received negative 21.90!!! I owe them money. IF all of my items sell I will make a whole 10 cents. I am not using this site again. Buying might be fine but please consider other options for selling!

tf145
11/14/18

Bad experiences, both selling and buying. When buying, beware - sizes are not accurate, descriptions are not accurate, brands are not accurate. Bought a pair of slacks - well, for all their "high standards" for acceptance of used clothing, these slacks REEKED of patchouli oil. There is no way this could have been missed, the stench is enough to knock you down. Four washings have not shifted the stink and they're going into the trash. I've had similar experiences with other garments - wrinkled, dirty, worn, not the brand or fabric described. Lots of items listed on the website are crumpled, as if they were pulled out of the bottom of the massive pile of clothing they show on their site as their "sorting process". They don't bother to steam or press them to make them look decent.

Selling: when you send clothes to be consigned, they say lots of things aren't up to their standards (guess they want them drenched with patchouli oil), even when they do meet the standards. Now you can't even set prices for the things they do accept - they do that, and they absolutely lowball. The longer the garments are listed, the lower the prices go, until you only get pennies for something that doesn't sell fast. Then they charge you for shipping. You won't end up with much. I shifted from direct deposit to credit on site, thinking I would do better that way, but for the last year, the clothing on their site is simply ghastly, far from in style and often wrinkled and gross looking. I haven't spent a cent of credit.

Swap.com hasn't been accepting consignments from individuals for over a year now. Lots of retailers are dumping the clothingthey can't sell there as well - you find multiple listings in different sizes of the same garments. That is some factory outlet store dumping the trash even they can't sell to make a couple of dollars. So if you're just a lowly person wanting to do something other than sending used clothes to a landfill or to a charity to be torn up for rags - you're out of luck. Gotta make room for all that out of style Lane Bryant rubbish.

Then there's always that wonderful patchouli oil reek. These people put on the dog, but they don't deliver, for either buying or selling. Stay away.

sl147
10/26/18

Have sole a lot on Swap over the last 2 years with great results...so great that I WAS recommending Swap to everyone. Not any more! Sent 2 boxes of consignment quality items into Swap back in Feb. They finally loaded it into my system in August. Reject a lot of items that I could've made money & consigned locally. Gave me an option to donate the rejects.(..do they REALLY donate them?!?!?!) They also charged me a $10 "high reject fee". Meanwhile, I've sold about 15 items on Swap & haven't made a single penny since it all went towards the shipping and reject fees. WHAT A TOTAL RIPOFF!! I should charge you for holding my items so long that they're now out of season. Sellers beware!! Don't bother with Swap. You might as well just give it away...Less frustration & more satisfaction!!

oliviac63
10/12/18

Besides the fact it takes MONTHS for them to process the boxes they received, I am rather happy with their service. I get 2 payouts a month and they are decent. They do price things weird sometimes and get brands wrong on occasion but overall I have been happy with the small stream of income trickling in every month form them. Hope they start taking inbound shipments again!!!

delphineb5
10/8/18

I have 26 high quality items (they passed their stringent acceptance rules, which seem to only apply when you sell items but not when you buy them!) This includes jeans, button up shirts, maybe NWT. They're "generously" offering me $10.71 credit for ALL 26 items!!! Or I can donate them, or I can have them shipped back to me for $23??? Absolutely ridiculous, DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH!!!

amberd126
10/2/18

I have purchased many things from swap and you sorta never know what you are gonna get. Sometimes items are very nice other times they are horrible. I have found that too many times the picture as well as description does not accurately describe the item. Now as for selling. I sent a box in long ago, honestly I forgot all about it until I started receiving emails a couple weeks ago stating that I sold an item. Many of the items I sent in were new, forever 21 as well as 21 Men, of great quality and not cheap clothing. As of thos week they have sold probably 10 of my items for prices ranging from 5 to 13 dollars per item. I received a payout of 6.98. That is really ridiculous. You are better off selling on ebay or I would have even preferred to give the clothing away free on offerup for prices like that. I'm pretty much done with swap altogether.

kendallb28
10/1/18

Ive sold over 24 items so far on Swap, and not once have I gotten a payout. They keep telling me that all of the money goes towards my shipping fee and after doing the math I've definitely exceeded that. Scam.

Response from Jen P., Swap.com Representative
Hello Kendall,

We would like to further investigate the details on your account and further explain any questions you may have. You may reach out to our customer service team at assistance@swap.com or 630-296-0146. If you can provide your user ID and/or email address, we can review your payout detail and provider clearer explanation of what has transpired.

Swap.com
mariek83
9/25/18

I have sent 3 EMAILS AND I GET THE SAME RESPONSE. Still processing. Sorry for the inconvenience. NO, I'm sorry I sent SWAP.COM MY STUFF!!

Response from Jen P., Swap.com Representative
Hello Marie,

We sincerely apologize it took longer than anticipated to process your inbound shipment. Due to the influx in sellers wanting to utilize our service, we had a significant amount of shipments sent to us. On March 30, 2018, we temporarily suspended taking new inbounds in an effort to get caught up. We are almost completely caught up and will be reviewing our seller strategy moving forward. If your box has not processed at this time, please advise so we may further research this.

Again, we sincerely apologize for the delay.

Swap.com

I have only placed one order so far. I ordered 10 blouses. I returned 5, due to size issues. All 10 blouses were nice, but 5 did not fit quite right due to different manufacturer's. You need to get an RMA # for returns. I was promptly refunded my money for the 5 blouses . I would order again in the future. I am not aware of any return quantity restrictions. Hope this helps.

By Eva M.

If you want to sell clothes, all the information is on their website. Basically, they get a percentage and then they pay you thru an existing PayPal account that you set up.

By Dawn W.

I don't think so. I've sold and from my experience it varies. The things that I thought would sell first, haven't sold yet. It varies by what people are looking for at the time. I've bought all different seasons at random times. I buy by what's a great deal. When selling, group like items together. I've noticed multiple things sell first.

By Cassi E.

Hi Jo, That is correct. You can return items that do not fit as long as you request the return within 30 days. We will send you a pre-paid UPS shipping label to send back your return free of charge. Once the return is received, we will refund your card within five (5) business days. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at assistance@swap.com. We are happy to help! Best, Matt

By Jen P., Swap.com Representative

There's no way for them to go over prices. They have to see the items and determine from going over it, if it's acceptable, once it's accepted, then you have to determine the price you want to sell it for. You could try searching on their site for similar items and see what they are priced at. I did notice when pricing my items that I'd get a little notice with recommended prices, which was very helpful. I didn't have a good experience selling but many others have. Make sure you take pictures of your items, that's very important. I appreciated that their site is set up to allow you to take back your items if you changed your mind about selling them. I'm in the process of getting back my items. Hopefully it works out well and I get all my items back.

By Barb W.

BOLINGBROOK, IL US

By Danisha B.

Hi Mary, I would like to help you with your request. If you you could send me an email I would like to personally review your account and see what I can do for you. I know that we can help you. Best, Matt Manager, Customer Experience matt@swap.com

By Jen P., Swap.com Representative

Hi Patricia, We are on about a 55-60 day delay in processing inbound shipments. When your items are processed, you will be notified via email that they are ready to be priced. Have you sent an email to our support team at assistance@swap.com yet? A member of our team can look up your account information and give you a better idea of exact when you can expect to see your items. Thank you, Lauren Swap.com Support Manager

By Jen P., Swap.com Representative

I have only had one experience with this site as a buyer. I bought a 1X BB Dakota sheer sheath tunic/dress. I received the dress promptly, but it was very undersized through the chest, bust and hips. On top of that, there were no fabric content or care labels and there were snaps at each shoulder indicating that there should have been an underlining. Swap.com offered me a store credit, but I would have to pay return shipping. I think that sizing and reviews should be provided for each item. Also this same dress was listed different ways on their site - as a tunic and as a dress. It was so plentiful that it would lead me to believe that the dress just doesn't fit true to size. So buyer beware when it comes to sizing.

By Alane D.

Lime Clean? I don't think so. I've heard they don't clean ANYTHING that comes in.

By Shelley B.
Questions? Get answers from the Swap.com staff and other customers.

Swap.com?