Review of Steep & Cheap

Tel: 1111701879
optout@steepandcheap.com

katherinem66
3/4/19

I ordered one Stoic merino wool garment to see if it measured up to Icebreaker--if it did, great! But it didn't. I wore it once and got really sweaty doing practically nothing and the garment had a very strong, very weird odor---not just of damp wool but also a chemical smell and something like beef broth! SUPER disgusting. I washed it and it smelled just as bad when damp out of the washer. I sent it back and am anticipating a battle to get a refund. Now I'm really glad I only bought one and not two like I nearly did.

I will NEVER buy from this company again and will tell everyone I know to avoid them.

michaelc1568
3/1/19

Tried to make a purchase on Steep and Cheap for $20, they do not offer guest checkout and force you to sign up with email. They also do not offer a subscribe/unsubscribe checkbox, they automatically sign your email up for their mailing list, no big deal. After the first spam email I got I message CS to take me off and they said they did, I waited 10 days before submitting a complaint to the FTC and BBB. Still no response but still continued spam harassment. Me saving $5 was not worth the continued harassment and soon to be legal action I need to take on this POS company. Its 2019, unsubscribing really shouldn't be that hard!

shaner62
2/9/19

So i read the reviews and purchased anyways but was leery about it. Well i paid xtra mony to have my product shipped quicker well you guessed it still not product contacted steep and cheap they told me they would refund the extra in shipping which they have not yet. And im still waiting on my product. Lesson learned when there are that many bad reviews look elsewhere this company needs to go away with service like this.

romane15
12/17/18

2 weeks after placing an order and order is still not delivered.
Beware!-------------------------------------------------------------------------

vincentl74
Vincent L.
12/13/18

Lousy product sold at discounted rate with even worse return policy...ordered 2 medium jackets. One fits as a large, the other as a small. Go to return and I have to eat the shipping cost. Junk.

adamm286
11/19/18

I'll admit that I made a mistake, but I did not expect such rude service. I ordered a kayak from Steep and Cheap. Being that it was my first time buying a kayak online I wanted to test it out on the cheapest of 3 kayaks I'll be buying this year. When it arrived scraped and scuffed I Shrugged It Off because I mean it's a kayak, it's going to get beat up on the river anyways, right? I looked it over for obvious problems and did not immediately see any. So I signed for it and through it the back of my truck and went out to the lake to test it out. When I went to unload it something just didn't quite look right and I noticed that the bottom had been crushed some in the center. So I called Steep and Cheap to see what I could do and was hung up on. So I called back and the guy put me on hold then told me since I signed for it there's absolutely nothing they could do. So I ask for a supervisor and he replied "no sorry, they're pretty busy people". When I asked if I could talk to supervisor again he said no but he will see what he can do and put me on hold. I was on hold for about 8 minutes and then it was disconnected.

Long story short I'm glad that we tested this on a cheaper kayak because I learned two valuable lessons. First I will never buy from steepandcheap or backcountry ever again and second, if I choose to go this route in the future if there is a single scratch it will be refused.
It's not that they wouldn't do anything for me that's the problem. It's how I was treated.

rudyp23
11/10/18

I was very hesitant on ordering from Steep and Cheap after reading reviews. I had my guards up, fingers crossed, and expected the worst. But because of my experience, I felt like I needed to say that I had a great experienced. I got my Marmot winter coat in perfect condition. I got timely email notifications about my order. Package was delivered on time. There was really nothing I could complain about in the entire process! Also, did I mention that I got my coat at like 40% off! Can't beat that!

But I do feel for you guys whose orders weren't as smooth. I assume there are challenges in the return and exchange process that could be improved. But for straight forward orders, it seemed to be fine.

carolynb280
10/26/18

I purchased some North face boots & the fit perfect, & got them at a reasonable price. Would shop here again & recommend to anyone else

jenniferm871
10/10/18

Be very careful of this company I received an email from them saying their warehouse has receive my return and that the money would be on my card. A few months later I go back to check to make sure it went through and sure enough it did not. I contacted them and they said they did oh me $26 no they only the entire amount 78. This place is straight up scamming people they did reluctantly return my money but it's scary to think that the company will tell you they refunded your money and not actually do it.

johnl1126
10/2/18

I ordered two pair of Chaco flip flops yesterday. I paid for ground delivery. The flip flops were ere delivered today! I looked at the tracking. The order was processed immediately and the flip flops were out the door that night. Good job! I couldn't believe it. I am amazed! I will definitely be a repeat customer.

michaelc1147
8/23/18

Steep&Cheap is basically owned by Backcountry.com and carries similar items to one another. One company may have a different color or sizes even if it's for the Same product.
The issues:
1. Lack of customer service from Steep&Cheap as it's almost Non-existent
2. Shipping charges WILL destroy the 'bargain' found unless you order a lot to make up for the difference
- Backcountry.com (currently) offers FREE SHIPPING for orders that are $50 or more but you Must PAY shipping for Steep&Cheap.

For example... windbreaker jacket is available at both companies and advertised on 'sale' for $90 at Backcountry but $83 at Steep&Cheap, you'd order from the latter. BUT the latter CHARGES A SHIPPING FEE so the TOTAL order is MORE than $90 so it's Better to order from Backcountry instead.

ALWAYS CROSSSHOP between Backcountry.com and Steep&Cheap to find the best 'bargain' including any SHIPPING CHARGES!

Fooled me ONCE as I wasn't aware of the inter-company relationship and paid slightly MORE at Steep&Cheap. Not worth returning the item since the company charges a $6.99 Prepaid UPS label so there are NO cost savings!

What's the point of Steep&Cheap when you can basically shop at the parent store, Backcountry.com? The SHIPPING charges and lack of customer service are NOT worth it and you still get a 'better deal' at Backcountry.com.

eddiea31
7/16/18

It is really annoying when they sent you offers and discounts but when you go to the website, most of the items are not at the same offered price. And they sent lots of email/ads even though I have already clicked the unsubscribed option for few times.

eaglea
7/2/18

They offer one price and when you go to select the size (I am of average height and build) the price increase. Poor show.

theresac76
4/18/18

I was completely skeptical due to these reviews; however, I bit the bullet and bought a few coats for my 4 yo son. And by a few, I mean five. Before purchasing, I chatted with a "gearhead" to tell him my situation about being between sizes, and he assured me I could return the items for free as long as it was within 30 days and in unused condition. I went to return the items - called customer service this time (no chat option) - and they were fast and super helpful. Returned the too big and wrong color coats for free.

Not only that - his Marmot coat is great! All the coats sent were great! I would definitely buy from them again. I don't think I'd want to go through the process of returning things every time, but when it comes to buying for kids, they made the process very easy.

mattg106
2/23/18

I received the incorrect lens for my goggles, and upon talking to a Steep and Cheap rep, was able to coordinate a replacement shipment in time for my upcoming ski trip. Very happy about the friendliness and quick shipping on my order!

djp11
1/14/18

I purchased a product that needed to be returned. To return the product cost the price of shipping the 1.2 pound product ($7.28) plus an additional $6.99 for me to print the return label. $14.27 total. Having haggled this for over a week, I have given up and will no longer do business with this company. Steep doesn't begin to describe it....

aliceg56
12/12/17

I ordered a jacket for my daughter's boyfriend on Steep and Cheap. The jacket arrived as described and the delivery was prompt. However, they charged my credit card three times for one jacket. I called the credit card company and they arranged a conference call with Steep and Cheap. The customer service representative from Steep and Cheap stated that they had only charged my card once. Luckily the card representative was on the line to quickly dispute that claim. After checking with her supervisor, the customer service rep came back and said that they would remove two of the charges. When we requested an email confirmation, the representative told us "No, we don't do that." So right now I am waiting for the charges to fall off my account. If they don't within the next two weeks the card company stated that I can dispute the charges and have them removed that way. But my experience with Steep and Cheap is buyer beware.

conniea35
12/3/17

I purchased a Stoic jacket on Black Friday. Their website was both easy to navigate and to place the order. The order came quickly. I will definitely be checking their site out again.

janekf
11/22/17

Bought great shetland sweater for half a price of what Pendleton asks. Very fast shipping. Strongly recommended. Thanx!

acd3
11/16/17

I was able to use paypal and got my sperry topsider Gold Crepe Chukka Brown ankle boot at a big savings . Amazon and Sperry had them at 219.00 plus 15.00 tax. I bought them at Steep&Cheap for 155.00 , shipping was 11.00 for 3 day shipping and I got them in two days !! Total price was 166.00 !! Total savings was 68.00 dollars !! I am a very happy customer !!!

jayw87
10/22/17

Ordered jacket for $175 but returned. They charged me $16.59 to return. Asked "customer service" for Manager to confirm they deleted my account information since will never order again. They ignored. Management too much cowards to publish information on SteepandCheap or Backcountry parent company. Cowards because they will cheat you yet do not want to hear from you. PATHETIC!

debrac84
8/14/17

I order something and they switched it out on me and didn't respond d. They are a bait and switch company and I will sue them

keithj49
7/10/17

Ordered swimsuit top for 34.95. Sized with chart horrible!!! Didn't fit, returned with the label printed from the receipt!!! No whefe on the label, web sight or directions for a return does it indicate the return is 6.99. Bottom line, paid 34.50, shipping total to get here with top price is 43.48. Return credit is 27.51. Why order online if the risk is 16.97 cost to receive and return ! Called customer service, Mason said if I had placed the prefer directly on the phone, I could have received a free return label. Wow, ordering on phone is cheaper than online. lol won't order again or even shop

dob36
5/27/17

I did happen to take a look at this website prior to ordering some socks from them. I was very skeptical about dealing them them based on the low score that they received here. But I figured I would take a risk and try it out. I'm not sure where SaC is based out of, but I was a little surprised that 5 pairs of pretty low-profile socks that came to less than 1 lb shipping weight had a tax and shipping combined rate of nearly $14 (6.55 tax + 7.28 shipping). That part seemed a little steep, but hey, I guess "steep" is part of their name. Also upon ordering I did receive an e mail stating that I had been added to their newsletter, however I quickly responded back to tell them to take me off any lists, and they were prompt with responding that it would be no issue. I ended up receiving the package quickly and the correct product arrived and in good condition. So no problems there. I would definitely not want to shop at SaC as a primary outlet for outdoor gear. I would rather use eBay as I can usually get much better deals. The reason I used SaC on this occasion was because they were having a sale on Darn Tough socks and all DT socks come with a lifetime warranty and it's hard to find the ones you need any cheaper than $20 per pair. SaC had them for a little over $13 a pair and after tax and shipping, came to about $16 per pair. Still a decent savings on something I only have to ever buy once. If I had to buy more DT socks, I would check out SaC again, but as stated before, under most circumstances, I can find better prices elsewhere.

todc11
10/24/16

Wow there seems to be a lot of folks who have had a tough time with these guys, but I have to say they outdid themselves for my order.
Arcteryx SV great price and here in a couple of days. It's the real deal jacket and will shop again and again.
T

Questions? Get answers from the Steep & Cheap staff and other customers.

6 Photos for Steep & Cheap