The Salvation Army reviews

Tel: 1-800-728-7825
donations@salvationarmyusa.org

lisak60
9/23/18

Recently went to the Slavation Army to find 1980's clothes for my child's school event. (Can't believe I should have kept some of mine for a retro costume!) we found a couple items for her costume but I also found a pair of Lucky Jeans & a cute dress for myself! It happened to be Discount Monday & we got the deal of the century with every item about $7. I'm going to have to scrounge through the racks again now! That was fun! (The only annoyance is having to get the dressing room unlocked every time you want to try something on.)

adamf112
8/12/18

A wonderful organization dedicated to providing necessary services to those that are most in need. Ive known many people that have utilised this companies services, one that even utilized their sponsored halfway house. Two thumbs way up, you got this man clean from alcohol, you got him a job, and you got him going to church. You will know a good tree by its fruit.

catherinea50
7/2/18

I have been going to opportunity shops ever since I got my first job.
Being a low income earner these stores made it possible to buy great clothes , shoes and homewares. I am now really disappointed with the prices .
These stores are not necessarily for the poor any more, If I wanted to buy new products I would go to Kmart, they are actually cheaper with some things, I don't, cause I like old/used its just hit and miss with some of the prices , just be aware and know your product value.
These stores are still my faves.

corrines6
6/19/18

On Tues 6/19/18 at 9:00 AM I tried to find needed items at the store on W. Colonial Dr Orlando, FL. The loud Christian music that was being played was distasteful on many levels. It made me want to quit shopping there. But, I shopped a little anyway. As I shopped, I found that most clothing items cost at least $4.99. I found not one desirable item in my average size that was discounted with the blue tag for half price. I used to spend hours at this store, but I left after 20 minutes. I purchased one item, a sun visor for $1.99. Drop your prices if you want more customers. We seniors on fixed incomes need a little break.

maryk465
5/23/18

Love them because they keep the money in the same county that they collect it in. Loved ringing their bell.

sc3959
2/1/18

The prices at the Salvation Army have gotten outrageous especially because a lot of their clothing are in poor conditions. Also, the staff is always so mean and nasty!

susanc341
1/31/18

always always find good deals on some great items, find the people who work there care more than other similar thrifts i've shopped

maryt156
1/16/18

Becoming aware of The Salvation Army discrimination against the LGBT community has been most distressing. I am unable to support this organization any longer, and this knowledge of bias/prejudice explains to me the drop in donations by the public.

alank19
5/11/15

Australian Salvation Op Shops are a money making corporate stragegising greedy insipid organisation that over charges with one store manager on the payroll and the rest of the stores and depots labour work tirelessly as volunteers primarily coming from lower socio economic or poverty line demographics.
Ive volunteered for various church organisations over the years..and been homeless in the past on occasion and while the Salvation Army DO service the community the poor staff at the counter (and as a general observed rule) only the first few of the improverish are given numbers with the rest being turned away.
It's no secret that the Australian Liberal Government are cutting funding everywhere and of all the charitable organisations the Salvation Army are hardly in a position to adequately rationalise the new hard line paradigm when it comes to servicing their community which fundamentally one of their primary reasons for existence. Volunteers at the coal face apologise and the shop staff volunteers always most courteous and generous of heart and spirit...but it is illogical that cost cutting measures affect the lower ranked paid workers and the needy who for whatever reason are turned away hungry. They are given lists of equally stretched organisations scattered all over the place no transport and a realistic outcome of a waste of time and energy a hungry family cannot afford to waste. Impractical
...Saint Vincent De Paul are a charity one can ring and in two days they have two kind nonjudgemental workers coming to ones home to chat and give vouchers to accomodate immediate needs and referrals for all else is practical and not simple lipservice according to whatever the latest word is from paid management upstairs.
I occasionally scrap for metal and hard rubbish people throw on their curbs. It gets me by and its an honest life. I give much to smaller churches and organisations because when the Salvos cant sell items or they dont look saleable they are thrown in large bins outside for garbage collection.
I once and for two years worked as a truckies offsider with the Salvos..collection larger donations from homes and deceased estates. All good condition working order white goods were immediately bound for the tip. We once spent a whole day removing a hoarders penchant for collecting books to fill the truck
Afterwards we drove to the dump and threw them away as though a corporation with highly paid executives could not afford to pallet them all up then fly them to countries in need of education...it does not serve their bottom line.
The local shop must have caught wind of people finding use for items and books so they have taken to smashing all crockery cups plates etc ripping covers from all books including atlases dictionaries all manner or beautiful books. To me..this is greed. It is cruel. It is insulting and offensive. Some poor still watch vhs videos on antiquated recorders. Many many videos are thrown away. Now...they just throw out the covers and dispose of perfectly workable videos in a manner where no one benefits if the salvos dont earn. Ive seen goods come off the trucks and valuables sorted by paid management..antiques and high end items...and by the time it all filters to the shop its pretty much a charity shop with charity items and a few items of actual value. All charity shops are generally very cheap. Salvstion Army stores are very expensive for the poor.
I could continue with substantial validation of my observations but take it or leave it when i recommend that...on moral grounds i encourage readers to shop and donate
elsewhere...there are people and families
In real need in the community. The Salvation Army DO assist but their principles border on a moral destitution to which no rational humanitarian mind could ever compromise or sit by and allow it to continue unheard and out of sight.

Questions? Get answers from the The Salvation Army staff and other customers.

The Salvation Army?