Rakuten

2019 CUSTOMER CHOICE AWARD

Rakuten has a consumer rating of 4.29 stars from 2,073 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally satisfied with their purchases. Rakuten also ranks 2nd among Cash Back sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 65.3%

• If you are having problems with them, do contact customer service and get to the director.
  • And they have GREAT customer service on top of the cash back, means that I'm a big fan of eBates!
  • 2019 Customer Choice Winner

• Ebates has denied it stating that I used some other coupon code, coupon or reward link in addition to Ebates.
  • booked my vacation trip thru ebates expedia says 10 % cash back
  • First of all that is a lie because I know how to use eBates.
How would you rate Rakuten?

“Issue resolved!”

Elyse S.
6/4/20

As I posted in my other review, I was really hoping to update this because the way things went were not good. Since nothing was explained, I'm deciding that it was a simple error & mistakes happen so it's forgiven..The message today said my order was approved & account credited. I seriously don't like putting out such bad reviews but I will always tell the truth & am glad whatever the reason this was resolved therefore providing the company a better rating with my update to the consumer.

“Terrible customer service”

Dan M.
7/22/20

Terrible customer service with Rakuten. Site will not direct me to any stores website and at first I thought it was my computer blocking it, however, tried on 4 different devices and does the same thing. Have contacted Rakuten customer service 3 times with no resolution. My account is also locked but after three days of trying to actually talk to a human I give up. They lost a loyal customer.

Reviews (2,073)

customer service (655) ebates (1038) cash (503) ebates account (38) use ebates (50) shopping trip (48) great customer service (71) 24 hours (27) customer care (51) paypal account (27) emailed customer service (21) gift card (36)
michellef844
February 20th, 2020
I'm the type of impatient person that will immediately send an email if I don't see cash back .005 seconds after I make an order. Rakuten customer service always responds quickly and solves any issues I may have, making sure I receive cash back from my purchases. These guys know what they're doing, for sure. I recommend them to everyone!
sfs5
April 3rd, 2019
A Loyal Customer since 2013. Ebates had always been professional. Every representative will always go beyond the call of duty to make it right. Ebates is a true service oriented company and I highly recommend everyone to use their services and start earning your cash back on almost everything you purchase online and expanding on purchases made in store.
ottod16
June 4th, 2020
I'VE BEEN USING EBATES FOR YEARS. NO ISSUES. THEY MOVED OVER TO RAKUTEN, AND NOW THE PROBLEMS START. THEY DECIDED TO KEEP MY CHECK -- $450! THEY STATE I VIOLATED THE TOS, AND THEY ARE KEEPING THE MONEY. WHAT A SCAM. SOMEONE SHOULD CONSIDER A LAWSUIT AGAINST THEM.
danm772
July 22nd, 2020
baillyf
February 20th, 2018
Never use this Company. They steal your money, never refund you for the dodgy second hand trash they sell you. Avoid these idiots they will rob you. Fine when things go well but it's a typical rubbish French Customer service when it goes wrong. In other words, and this is typical in this pit of a Country, they couldn't give a flying f art!
DO NOT GIVE YOUR MONEY TO THESE THIEVES!
phillipl31
May 11th, 2017
I bought two books both of which the sellers refused to ship internationally. Instead of issuing refunds they happily put my money in "My Wallet" and charged my credit card. The sellers said they were following PriceMinister guidelines and wanted to ship the books by registered mail at 21 euros a book. There is both a 4 euro rate and a 10 euro rate for international book shipping. I had bought books from the past but never again.
kellyh343
November 18th, 2018
When I first signed up, I noticed I would regularly get ebates. Then after a few months, they stopped or were very infrequent. I would have to email with my order info and jump through hoops to get my ebate. Their automatic response would be, that item was not valid for an ebate. So my shopping pattern is pretty much the same, and yet now the items that I'm buying don't earn ebates as often.
brandonc282
May 15th, 2020
Don't bother using Rakuten, the customer service sucks. I helped my mother order a book and I helped her make an account since she isn't tech savvy. Rakuten detected it and thought that its me making duplicate accounts (why would I make duplicate accounts... There's no sense in doing that right) and they closed both mine and my mother's account. With that, a pleasant experience turned into disappointment. Their customer service doesn't listen to reason at all...
markh274
July 31st, 2019
Every time I click on a shopping link, it's recorded. That's ok but when I know I didn't purchase on that particular trip, I wish I could delete it from my history, or at the very least mark the visits I know I shopped.
And the pending travel credit(s)... no way to delete those that I ultimately canceled or make a note as to what/where (car, hotel, etc). They stay on my pending cash back, mixed with stays that I AM expecting credit for. Very confusing!
lennardg4
July 12th, 2014
Bought a second hand book and a second hand DVD from two different dealers, one French and one Spanish. Everything was delivered on time and paid with PayPal. No problems of any kind and I saved quite a few Euros on both deals compared to ebay or Amazon. And by the way: I'm real and not working for priceminister :-)
susanm1497
February 20th, 2020
Do not order from Rakuten Japan. I have been waiting for a package sent from Japan and all customer service could tell me is that the package has been detained by the US Customs. US Customs says they cannot look for the package - go to the Post Office. Since Rakuten is the sender, they should do more than just send me to the Customs Website. It did not even have the port of entry. I have just lost all money paid for the product and no recourse.
elyses3
June 4th, 2020
• Updated review
Hoping to change this rating
June 2nd, 2020
• Previous review
When they first took over Ebates it wasn't good but then they got much better. I truly am hoping to update this rating because right now I feel very deceived. I went through them purposefully (instead of another site because they were doing better) to get an annual streaming service membership. I read through ALL the terms & they even said it would be compensated "tomorrow". It just so happened that I also joined another service minutes prior & that compensated IMMEDIATELY! However the much larger amount is still not credited & even worse, in my shopping trip history it says $0 for the amount. In writing to customer service the automated system said the free trial period doesn't count & it could take up to 7 days for my credit (uhhhh, what happened to TOMORROW???). The service has been paid for, I have full confirmation from the company & my credit card but Rakuten responded back saying they must contact the company & it usually takes 10 days to respond, possibly up to 45 days!
WHHHAAAATTT???
Even with ALL that proof I gave them???
Well, I decided to contact this streaming company myself. They clearly told me I'm a new customer, paid my annual membership & there's nothing more to say! It took me less than 4 minutes on the phone for confirmation.
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO my question is...Rakuten, are you trying to pull a fast one on me? Why do I, as the customer have to send you my e-mail proof from that company welcoming me & showing I paid AND include my credit card info but go even farther to CALL them for confirmation?
YOUR terms show I've done the right thing yet my shopping trip has a check mark with $0 rebate & $0 payment? Do I need to send you a screenshot of YOUR terms too???

I TRULY feel you are taking advantage of what is going on in the world right now & reverting back to old ways. The automated e-mails me to wait up to 7 days, then someone wrote saying they'd have to contact the company...something isn't right!
As I stated in my e-mail to you, do the right thing. I don't want to change my rating here to less & end up going on other sites again..
I'd much rather post good than bad but consumers have the right to be informed!
Always double check IF they are paying but I'm fair...they may have taken note?
January 12th, 2016
Verified purchase
• Previous review
4 '16 SOOO upset that I have to put this kind of update because I was their biggest fan. Lately like the last 6 or so months, I think Ebates has been getting a bit full of themselves & customer service is falling flat. I have been having problems to the point where I have to send them copies of my invoices, about every OTHER online shopping trip I'm doing. I got used to doing that, even though they continued to "blame" me & said I was using the site incorrectly. THAT doesn't make sense if I've been doing the same thing for so many years & NOW all of a sudden I forgot how to use the site? I even told them that if I take too long to order I noticed I better re-do everything & start over or they won't acknowledge anything. Maybe they need the extra money to help pay for the new app upgrade? I don't know what happened because it's not nearly as easy to use Ebates.com or deal with customer service, I think they fired all the GREAT people & hired all new ones who don't care about the customers & clearly fabricate (or just don't know) what they have on their site!
5 '16 **UPDATE** Now I think I'm finally done using Ebates all together. I sincerely believe they are pulling the wool over everyone's eyes. Not only am I having to keep ALL times I'm making purchases & make SURE they give me credit for it but then I have to double check they don't delete ones they already gave me credit for after I send them ones they didn't! GO FIGURE??? I showed them one from a company that was not issued & after they gave me credit for that one, they deleted a previous one...uhhh, what are they trying to pull???
4/23/17 UPDATE-I think the site took note & started fixing things. Since I called them out, saying exactly what I've said with reviews like this I do believe they have tried to take care of things. No, I haven't used them again yet but I did have some old things & they didn't delete anything which they could of because I totally forgot about them. They reminded me that I had a some small rebate heading my way & why I'm giving another update. I will ALWAYS be fair like that! Plus IF I do start using them on a regular basis again & find they are back to good or great, I'll post that too & revamp my entire review...but will keep the history, just a shorter version.
staceym204
June 27th, 2019
Absolutely amazing customer service from Harley W. from Ebates Member Services!!!! She was sweet, answered me back quickly every time I had a question, and 100% resolved my problem with no issues!!!! I will definitely be recommending Ebates to everyone because of her! (Not to mention Harley was almost my daughters name, I've always loved it lol) Thanks again Harley!
shabnamk6
May 9th, 2020
Everything is fine with them until you use the scam referrals they have. They keep sending you emails to refer family and friends and when you do and it happens to be a family member who lives at the same address they deactivate your account and your referrals and calls you frauds. They make money off of people by luring them with $10 or $30 bonus but they are not worth it at the end they dont give that to you but sure keeps the money you earned them. Their customer service is HORRIBLE you will only get frustration beware of them save your money and your time.
krisc79
February 3rd, 2019
i placed an order exactly same as my friend's order on same day. I received a lot less cash back then my friend. Also i created an account from invitation so I received $10 but they removed it from my accounts for some reason.
Every time i send a reply to customer service, different people reply which super annoying and i need to repeat myself.
thierryk
April 25th, 2014
Best ecommerce site, you find all kind of things, and it's pretty cheap too. very reliable. I recommend.
katherinel95
January 7th, 2019
This does not require me to actually go to their website and choose a company to buy from. If I visit a site they offer rebates on it automatically pops up. You do have to understand that if you go out and do not purchase anything and then sign back in to purchase items you have placed in your cart, that it may not record that purchase. I have been getting rebates from this site for over 10yrs.
ernestoc13
December 12th, 2017
never received the item...stay away from this guys..........absolutely garbage ......................................
hannahq22
June 24th, 2020
Using Rakuten is a great way to make money while doing your regular online shopping! I had an issue with them mailing me one of my "Big Fat Checks" and their customer service resolved the issue within a few hours! I highly recommend Rakuten!
budhig
December 27th, 2014
I also have bad experience with this priceminister, after order accepted it was canceled. So that i can't give this gift in time. If you need a profs site please consider other than priceminister.
waynes94
February 26th, 2018
This site was OK for a few months, I earned a little on some purchases I made. Then this month I've used it to purchase several items, and have received no credit. The trips are shown, but still no credit. I contacted them and was told I needed to submit a lot of paperwork (dates, receipts, etc) in order for them to investigate. It's just not worth it for the little I might be credited. I'm through wasting my time going through them before I purchase items.
ryanr393
April 19th, 2020
The original ebates actually gave cash back on every purchase with no problem now this dumb ass version of ebates is abomination and should've been changed if i could rat rakuten 0 stars or negative 0 i would
stefanof3
February 28th, 2014
Bought a specific model of hard drive as new.
Instead I've received a different and not new disk.
I will ask for refund, meantime I will publish here the LinkedIn profiles of these people.

If this is the way they work, I wonder if they will found a better job ...

Maybe somebody will later publish their names ...
robinl350
June 25th, 2020
Rakuten has been great for my shopping needs! I get what I'm looking for from the stores I shop at, and I get cash back for my purchases. I recently had to contact their support team, and they were so very helpful! I've seen some of the bad reviews, but I can honestly say that I've never had any issues with Rakuten. I would highly recommend them!
ezraw8
July 30th, 2019
I've been an Ebates member since 2010 and back then I was getting a fair amount of cash back or gift cards for my purchases. Recently, however, after the change to Rakuten I lost all of my money. So, after 10 years of being with this company I have no balance, and no history. I had a bunch of money saved, to the point where I could go on ebates, and get a gift card to go birthday present or even Christmas shopping. Now, it's all gone. Not cool.

I believe all the bad reviews answers your question.

By Tammy B.
See more answers (7)

I can't tell you I would buy again. I had no help from rakuten when needed. They said they are not responsible for the sellers since they work as an online shopping center. I would suggest you buying at Amazon. I never had problems with them. Regards

By Carla V.
See more answers (6)

I dont know there some wierred how come I just order some jewelry.com and I order two earring only and its just 30.00 dollars. But when I use debates the price went up to high.

By susan k.
See more answers (5)

If it for some reason doesn't show like it should, I contact ebates. I include a copy of the email with the information from the order placed. Normally I wait until the purchase has arrived. This gives ebates and the store to put the transaction in your account.

By lisa k.
See more answers (4)

I can't answer about the owner ripping people off. All I know is I have ordered from Rakuten numerous times and have nothing but praise for them. I haven't read the bad reviews but I've gotten nothing but good products.

By Sandra H.
See more answers (2)

Hi Jenny, Ebates does not earn credit for phone orders. We do not advise any of our members to place orders over the phone. If this happened, please send me the message showing where we advised this so that I can try to resolve the matter for you. My direct address is facebookhelp@ebates.com

By Max C.

Hi Mike, This is a great idea. I'll make sure that our leadership team is aware of this suggestion and I'll see what we can do to make it happen in the future. We know that Ebates is the best Cash Back shopping service, but we appreciate your confirmation of this fact.

By Max C.

Don't know for sure although another consumer thinks so. All I know is that they did not reimburse me for all of my trandactions even after I emailed the requested proof of purchases which I made through their website. I mostly think it is an unqualified and uncaring customer service department.

By Consumer L.
See more answers (7)

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Rakuten staff and other customers.

Rakuten is the new Ebates! Rakuten is the premier Cash Back shopping site that pays you. Join today and start earning Cash Back at your favorite stores. How does it work? We pay members Cash Back when they shop at over 2,500 stores, plus find them the best deals and coupons. With over 12 million members and $1 billion in Cash Back paid out, Rakuten is the easiest and most rewarding way to shop. Become a member today and start shopping smarter. Follow us for the latest sales, member-exclusive offers and more.

Business History

Ebates is the pioneer and leader of online Cash Back Shopping. The company was founded in 1998 by two Deputy District Attorneys in Silicon Valley who used to prosecute online fraud & identity theft before starting Ebates (so you can be sure we are very into secure online transactions!). So go ahead, sign up and start shopping now. Joining Ebates is always free - you'll never pay us anything. And four times a year or more, we'll mail you a Big Fat Check, or transfer the money to your PayPal account if you'd prefer. We can even send the money to your favorite charity. All 100% free.

ebatess
Ebates S.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rakuten?

Have a question about Rakuten?