Review of OkCupid

help@crazyblinddate.com
2017 Customer choice award

aggelikiy
8/14/18

I joined and put a real and nice photo of myself, and then had no other pics for the time being and so I added a photo of my home grown tomatoes, as a display of personality, and it got flagged but someone and got deleted. I had a nicely written out profile, answered nearly all the questions and really made an effort, and for them to flag that 1 photo which wasn't of ME, was pathetic!!!! I realized the way it's set up doesn't work for me, at least... you should be able to put any photo you want up, if you already have a photo of yourself there. So I deleted the profile right away, feeling unwelcomed and penalized after just a few hrs of having joined. And I'm a good looking female, and a nice person. I guess it wasn't meant to be. Thanks OKSTUPID.com.

peterk281
8/2/18

I've been joined but did not find the right one. I love pantyhose so after joined to pantyhosedating.co.uk

peterr253
7/31/18

I've been a serial dater for the past two years, and just recently discovered I am bisexual. When switching from gay to bisexual on okcupid, I was bombarded with thousands and thousands of proportional pretty women and hardly any of my usual jocks. Where is the equality in this, okcupid???? Why do you want me to be straight???!!!! If you feel like you have been discriminated against by okcupid because of your sexuality, send me a message and we can talk about litigation!! I am NOT here for THIS!!

debbiel179
7/9/18

OkCupid better than some say but not anything to write home about unless you meet someone special. The only dating site that's found me an actual relationship was WeJustFit but unfortunately I blew that so here I am again, comparing & trying. At least its all cheaper than it used to be. Debbie

alexanderr71
7/9/18

top dating site? I had slightly different expectations when I joined. But oh well... maybe the time will come.
That being said, I dont necessarily love the layout and the general feel of this site. Could do with some imporvements, imo.

lorih166
6/28/18

I don't understand the reviews stating "don't waste your $". I found my perfect match for free. We each answered about 40 random questions. From there we could see we were potentially compatible. It's up to you to carry a conversation & connect on a deeper level once you find the potential partners. We are 50, have finally found each other & couldn't be happier (nearly a year later). THANK YOU OK CUPID !!!!

josephl251
6/26/18

For gay men, not too many options. But the UI I am not fond of. It's all over the place and hard to find what you want. The search engine also need to be improved. Otherwise I think good to have in the rotation of apps as it is popular.

peters586
6/23/18

The webistes doesnt match me with any suitable matches in my area. The website has a number of good criteria to filter your potential matches but just not enough people use this site.

philipw85
6/15/18

Not the biggest fan of OkCupid. Like wejustfit.com or some of the newer options that all the cool kids are on. I can see why some people like it and it defo has the history etc but its just not for me, soz.

djd21
6/10/18

TL;DR Mid 30s. Male. New messaging system is geared towards inflating a meaningless metric instead of genuinely connecting its users.

I've used OKC off and on over the last year and a half with modest results. I used to get responses with humor and thoughtfully timing my messages when the person I'm interested comes online to increase the chances of them seeing my messages. For those that have used the new messaging system since around December 2017, surely you've noticed that the timeliness and quality of the messages you've gotten have progressively gotten worse. Also, 'Like' inflation is the result of the new system REQUIRING mutual likes before allowing you to respond with a message?...huh?!? Oh, that's right. OKC is either positioning themselves for higher 'perceived' valuation to sell-off -OR- to sell-out. This may be a 'catch-and-kill' tactic to for Match Group to buy the competition, then ruin it under the guise of 'making it better', so they don't cannibalize their revenues from Tinder, match.com, and PoF. I will admit OKC has a good idea to ensure potential connections are essentially vaporware by preventing users from even SEEING the profile of anybody they've messaged before without a response. I've gotten one-word conversation starters like 'hey' and 'sup' from female users and I assure you the lack of effort makes me never want to hear from them again. OKC makes sure of that, even if they've upped their game since that first message, they will be blocked from even seeing me. WIN-WIN or LOSE-LOSE. It's a matter of perspective.

Tip for consumers: Under the new system, if you don't see many matches, you need to modify your age up and down in 5 year increments to see previously hidden users.

marlaw11
6/10/18

Nothing but hacked accounts with dangerous scammers. I feel sure OKC is doing nothing this courage this. If you meet someone or plan to be inactive I suggest turning off your account, and selecting a better password.

Signs of scammers;

1 profile indicates they are originally from some other country

2 never give your email though they'll ask for it immediately on OKC - they can break into your computer

3 exchange phone numbers and immediately text asking for a photo that does NOT appear on the site - any excuse is a scammer

4 if you talk to them by phone do they sound the way you expect or like a Rastafarian??? Tell them, say something in German, or mention I understand you're allergic to dogs when they have written they love dogs. Catch them in a lie immediately.

5 If you happen to be up very late and they are active green throughout the day and night.....scammer

Free sites are not worthwhile avoid

paulitop
6/6/18

OKCupid has a nice interface and the questions it asks are a good way to get to know someone. The people (at least in my experience) seem real. I've used it in the past, been on loads of dates and met my last long-term relationship from there.

Having recently become single, I decided to try it out again. Unfortunately, they have changed the site in such a way that only messages from people who have 'matched' will be seen. Basic dating site maths means this enormously reduces the chances of meeting someone you get on with, and your messages aren't likely to even reach the inbox of the intended recipient. At the same time, if someone has messaged you, you won't see it unless you've seen and swiped right on their profile beforehand. You might have been sent a dozen messages and not know about any of them.

A really nice site, spoiled by a weird attempt to kill off connections between people. It's still possible to eventually match with people by spending hours swiping away like a drone, but remember that there are many times more men than women on here, so the chances that you'll even be shown to a woman as a possible match if you're male are pretty low (assuming it randomises users when showing them on the match screen).

The changes have significantly reduced the popularity of the site, but I suspect they were done as someone's pet project and they're too stubborn to reverse things.

I'm now having more luck elsewhere, hopefully they'll see sense and change it back.

lf13
5/23/18

In OK Cupid's efforts to be all encompassing and accepting, it's circled back around into a level of transphobia only seen on platforms like Facebook and Twitter, that really don't care about LGBT rights.

For one thing, I'm a trans woman. This means I am female, I am a woman. That doesn't make me some third gender. If it were only this, I'd tolerate it. But they're also validating trans feminine and trans masculine as their own gender, androgynous as in own gender, gender queer as its own gender, non-binary as its own gender. The list goes on.

Not only this, they last pansexuality as if it were this valid thing. When it doesn't cover anything that isn't also covered by Bisexuality. And further cements the idea that trans people are a third gender.

Avoid if you want to be accepted as a trans person.

tobyh23
5/20/18

its ok but I like wejustfit its much beter id recomend 2 any 1 my sis using it now to and she said its good giv it a try if u need a new site or a new romanse lol

philr78
5/19/18

I having nothing negative to say about the site itself, OK Cupid. However, my experience as an older male, with seemingly desirable traits, has been a slice of hell. I meet with more deceit on this site that I have in years of actual every day interaction.
My problem has not been one I often hear about from men, not receiving responses from ladies after sending a message. I have received responses. I even met 2 women. I was a gentleman, pleasant, just myself. This was to no avail. I thanked both of them for meeting for coffee and waited for their response. One did not respond at all. The other claimed that she thought she was ready to date but now has decided not to do so. On 3 other instances, the ladies responded. One just "breadcrumbed". I asked to meet her. She didn't ignore me but gave excuse, one after the other, so I just gave up. Another thanked me for being patient and responded to me with one sentence telling me she was busy and I deserved a complete writing from her when she isn't so busy, that was 3 weeks ago. Then another responded right away. She said she wanted time to really look over my profile. That was 10 days ago. Women like to claim that they only receive coarse messages from shallow men. I write pleasant messages that refer to something they mention in their profile. I am in great shape, financially & emotionally responsible. Yet on Cupid, I can't even get beyond deceit from 60 year old women. What is going on? I understand that the imbalance, the large amount of men on these sites results in women receiving lots of attention while men struggle. It has not been worth my time and effort. Every few days, I do receive a message from a homely lady asking all kinds of questions as if she is in such demand & if i do everything correctly, I may, I just might, stand a chance with her.

nebojsal
5/16/18

I've been using a lot of dating sites, with more or less luck. Every site has it's pro's and con's. But OKCupid seems like a place, that has been so thoroughly developed. Many say it's a CIA project. Well, it's been developed by professionals, that's for sure :)

1. The search option is nice. You can choose between several criteria, even if you are a free user.

2. Messaging system became messy lately, but I got used to it. You need to match with someone in "Double take" game, to send her a message. I don't have a problem with that. It prompted a lot of girls to start playing the game, after all. And yes, it helps chasing away fake users.

3. There is a lot of room to describe yourself, on all aspects of life. I was always putting a lot of effort in that matter. And appreciated users who also do it. You can create more photo albums and put a lot of photos on your profile. You can also connect Instagram profile.

4.It seems to me that it attracts somewhat more intellectual users, which I like. Maybe that is the reason why many reviewers are complaining :)

The downside is there are so many transgenders. But it's not the technical issue, so I can't complain.

What else to say? I've met plenty of people through OKC, from all around the world. My current relationship is conceived on OKC. It is only one of the reasons for a 5 star rating

kathrinec1
5/14/18

This is the top dating site?! What makes it the top dating site??
I think it's really lame, wish I hadn't joined for 3 months

alexg221
5/3/18

If OkCupid is the top dating site then im a bit worried. People saying wejustfit.com is better so heres hoping its an improvement on this so called leading site for finding love online.

mk202
4/27/18

Account will be blocked and removed if you dare to defend yourself from the advances of married cheaters who pay premium. OK Cupid is a playground for sexual predators with paid accounts. Pedophiles are roaming free, scammers try to collect information, pimps send recruiting auto messages, fake profiles (but paid) are dominant and they will report you if you don't do what they ask you to or you don't jump at their proposal. A site/app that punishes women who dare to defend themselves, probably ran buy the same type that use it.

ursd1
4/26/18

Only wast of time and hopefully you don't pay, is only rubbish. Your messages go lost somewhere in the okcupid desert, maybe they find some, who knows.

denijr
4/17/18

This website have lost its reputation and all profile are fake.

Mostly used by pimps and trans genders

Yahoo Chat Rooms --- Miss that badly.

Even after paying good amount, you are not assured of real profile and people.

tonyf64
4/17/18

OkCupid is a joke! I have used both the browser & phone app versions & all I ever get is bot scripts messaging me. I clearly state in my profile that I will not be paying ever, and that if someone is interested in me to write not add me to liked because I will never see that they liked me so its pointless. This site is mostly bot scrips, fake profiles, and garbage. I have never talked to a real person on this site other then the site admin.

If you like talking to bot scripts & don't mind filling out 100's of pointless questions that lead no where. Sign up!

Better site,
InterPals.net - Dating, Friends, Pen Friends, Language Exchange, and more.

daphned13
4/13/18

I am a trans woman, submissive and have cats to begin with and I specifically indicate in my profile that I am not interested in dating another trans person, that I am a lesbian, that my interest is in a dominant partner and that I do not want to see or be seen by straight people. I spent hours answering questions that would indicate who I am and what I am looking for. I was initially very impressed with the information requested and expected some nice results. However, when I look at the suggested matches list the site is trying to feed me all I see are other trans women, Straight MEN and women, other submissive women and people who are horribly allergic to cats. This is not a random or intermittent occurrence. Almost every person the have suggested or that has a high comparability fits in to one or even all of these categories. I sent lots of personal information now and am just looking for a way to close my account because OK Cupid is either completely ineffective in the manner that they use the data provided or they are purposefully $#*!ing with trans people and those who kink. Don't waste your time.

jamese217
4/5/18

What I like about this site is that they are upfront. It is a decent "free" dating site. If you want more than the basics, you pay for these products and/or services. Nice thing is that you get to test drive it for as long as you like, Not a "free this weekend and then we automatically start billing you" If it is for you, then step up and add some options.

johnm1348
4/5/18

There is a lot to like about cupid.com, the app, the number of active users, the low cost. I tend to but a months subscription every 6 months to see how I get on, been doing that for years. Sometimes I drop off after the month, other times I keep it going. I've had a lot of luck recently with a great site called WeJustFit that's a bit more under the radar, so I've not been trying as many sites as usual, but signed up to Cupid today for my half yearly check and it's good to see

591 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Sure! If you want to wait til hell freezes over. You're better off getting more fat cats! :-)

By michael h.

OLC is so so...... Most of the woman are in dream land and seeking Mr USA.. And are not going to meet you in person 95% of the time.... You really need to weed out the B.S & players.... And that is simple to do........ If they can't meet you in person in public with in one week. Drop them.... Don't waste your time.... Next!

By Danny M.

Terri - this is what I recently sent in about OKC. I will answer your specific questions at the end of this. I have heard many complaints about OKC and scammers. But I AM NOT HAVING ANYWHERE NEAR THE PROBLEMS THAT OTHERS ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT. I am on several sites, and I experience about the same % of scammers on all. 1) it is so easy to spot a scanner - he wants to use email or text/phone right away. Is this really a problem? I immediately block. 2) if he is in Africa or any other 3rd world nation, I immediately block. I filter my messages so that I do not receive messages from anyone who has answered less than 100 questions or is at least an 85% match. Scammers are so obvious. Also, I note that most scammers claim to be "god-fearing christians," or "looking for an LTR or marriage." I am an atheist and very liberal and state this in my profile and my questions. I know what I am about to say is very offputting, snobbish, elite, etc., but I don't think scammers hit atheist, well-educated, and skeptical people as much as they do others (christians). Sorry, but I did say you wouldn't like that. Scammers are on every site. I have been following the sites and the complaints about scammers. My conclusion, based on my experience, blogs, and LOTS of research, indicate that every site has about the same amount of scammers. Sites that provide almost 0% info on potential matches (Zoosk, POF, tagged, Chemistry, Match, ourtime, etc. - all worthless for matching, IMO) do NOT have fewer scammer than OKC. I am also a moderator on OKC. WORD: Do a GIS on every picture on every profile on every site. It will tell you if the pics were stolen from a commercial source (models, actors, etc.) or not. I have had a ton (sometimes 3/week) of dates from OKC, and I do not believe any of these guys were scammers. Finally, if you know how to spot a scammer, what difference does it make how many there are on any site? I am 59. Yes, I have many very young men contacting me. I just say "You are too young, but thank you for your interest." If they reply, I block. As I stated, I've met tons of great guys (and of course, creeps) and had a lot of dates. I have a lot of correspondence before the date, and make it clear that I am looking for LTR and NOT FWB, NSA (what a load of crap). I have not clicked with anyone yet; but the, I am an atheist, free-thinker, liberal in Texas. Not a lot of guys hit on me (after 18 months on OKC, I only get about 8 guys/week hitting on me. Check my profile: I'm not gorgeous (LIB75002) or email me: joannar75002@gmail.com). I will be happy to help you further, if requested.

By Joanna R.

If you use care and caution it's safe. Women are subjected to more weirdos but you can block them. Spammers are going to get through and they will usually ask for your email or phone number. If someone interests you message a lot before you meet and always meet in a public place. If someone insists on more than you're comfortable with move on.

By Marty E.

Yes, I have had this happen a lot. People just want your phone number because they don't want to use the site. Then they want to ask questions like where you are from. I guess so they can research you. I am real leery about giving out my email and phone numbers. All kinds of scammers out there.

By Connie E.

Yes, it is completely free... You pay for the more advanced features, but over the last ten years or so, I have met my last 6 lovers through the site ( though oftentimes it turns out that we already knew the same people... The matching algorithms are simply _that_ *good*!) and have never given them a single penny. ( though honestly, I really should, if only out of gratitude! ) Give it a try, it really is head and shoulders above the rest of the sites out there...!

By Todd M.

Yes. They'll never meet with you because they're contractors and 3rd party representatives, which is a fancy term for scam artists contacting you and pretending to be someone you think that you're looking at in the picture/profile that you are in contact with. The photos are ripped off from Facebook, Tumbler, or porn websites. THESE ARE THIEVES! I was robbed for over 150$ by one of these sites, and it's time to let everyone know. MAKE SURE THAT YOU READ ALL REVIEWS BEFORE REGISTERING FOR ANYTHING!!!

By John D.

Unless they have everything backed up, you're out of luck.

By Ian H.

Same site, smae people, same matches, but slightly different features.

By Jacco V.

I got over 500 "likes" in my 7 months on OKC. I never paid to see them. A lot of them were from men who lived more than 200 miles away, I'm guessing. Being tall, thin, never married, and childless, I got a lot of messages. I only met 7 of the men who messaged me. "Likes" are pretty irrelevant, so just see what you get with the free messages.

By Crocodile F.
Questions? Get answers from the OkCupid staff and other customers.

OkCupid?