Review of OkCupid

help@crazyblinddate.com
2017 Customer choice award

christophers146
2/18/18

OKCupid is absolutely decrepit. It does not work properly! When I do a search for "Hookups only" on the OKCupid app on my phone, not a single profile of a person who is trying to hook up shows up. When I use it on my PC, the results are entirely different, and I come across plenty of profiles of people looking for a hookup. This makes absolutely no sense! The site/app are either poorly written, poorly maintained, or both. They even charged me $7.99 just so I can see who likes me, which is totally ridiculous! :(

karent29
2/12/18

So I'm divorced after 20 years of marriage and starting over and moved to Arizona from Pennsylvania, no friends, alone no man. So have to start somewhere, don't want to spend money on a fixed income when I don't know what will work. Match.com kept sending me men in Pennsylvania, not Arizona when I changed everything, they charge way too much up front the whole 6 months upfront. The auto Renew is a pain to cancel with many sites. So to the point,OK Cupid in Arizona, I think is great. I've met 4 men in two weeks, one I like very much. They are professionals, all have good careers except one. I'm 63years old female, semi retired,but really young looking, very athletic,from NY, NJ,PA and now Arizona for life. This site is easy to navigate, free to search matches, free to send and receive messages,where can you do that on the web? Keep in mind that your information is being exposed and pictures to the world, so be safe. But where can you meet men or women for free, message and replies. You may find some fake men or women scam artists, just understand it's free you get what you get for free. I never found that situation. Make sure to watch behind when I'm leaving a date,maybe purchase some protection ,keep it on you, if there is something weird with the person. Just give your cell phone to people you feel you can trust. I decided to pay for 1 month cost me $15.95. I turned off the auto renew subscription, so that's for 1 month only. I asked them to tell me if I did this they actually replied back to me. Customer service is pretty good when emailing them, you might have to wait a little for an answer by email or email them again.They will help you upfront, reply back with answers for you. I would recommend this site for dating just really been great for me. I do not work for this company or web, this is a totally independent current review 2/11/2018.

thomash205
2/8/18

OkCupid is great but dont rule out other good options (e.g wejustfit.com etc) the bottom line here y'all is that you gotta be patient and smart enough to put the effort in if you want to arrange real dates using internet dating. Trust me y'all, it does pay off if you keep your expectations in check. Good things do come to those that wait.

angeliiiisb
2/4/18

I was on OK cupid since it first started for about 3 years. First time around it was a great site and I actually answered over 2500 questions seriously thinking that the more questions I answer the better shot I will have at finding Mr Right 4 me. I got really frustrated at the sites offers of men although I did rave and promote the site to many of the guys on POF. I especially liked the HIDE FEATURE AND THE CHAT SESSIONS. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM with the questions being answered and I really appreciated the site although I did not get a single date from the site. The biggest problem with the site is there are not enough men and the ones I found compatible were FAR AWAY, like many states away. I decided to take a break from the site and hid my profile for about a year. Then I returned and was I ever in for a unpleasant surprise You could no longer chat on the site, you no longer had the hide availability and the guys on the site are fugly. Looks like some went to the Bowery and photographed homeless, people and put them on the site. I exaggerate NOT. Then come to find out OK was selling personal information from the people on the site answering. OOOO In addition to that they intentionally mismatched the algorithms saying you were compatible 89% (what ever the score) to people you were definitely not compatible with.At first when I found them to sell personal information without my permission I figured well the site is free and they do have to make $$$ but the intentional mismatch was what did me in. I deleted, never been back since. I am surprised that are still active.

gregoryh3
2/1/18

This site was bought out by a huge conglomerate not too long ago. They then started using a Match.com blacklist and began shadow banning people .... messages to and from people would be throttled if you were on that list. (I received messages from one woman a whole week late.) Then: no messages. AT ALL. As of 2018, they have changed their message system (again) and now they openly hold back any message you send unless the recipient has already pressed like and you have AT LEAST matched with her. It is now the equivalent of an internet ghetto (for most male users) that is designed to waste your time and give you a false hope. Basically it is a eugenics engine run by a technocratic, global company. The Technocrats have a special hatred of white Christian men or anyone who is conservative. BEWARE.

na14391
1/31/18

I actually liked this dating site and was a paid subscriber for nearly 4 years. I mostly used it like an online crossword puzzle, basically I just answered all the dating questions and gave funny explanations to amuse myself. I only had brief conversations(small talk) with a few women and I wasn't seriously trying to make anything happen. Then last year I met someone on there and we clicked immediately and started dating briefly. She broke up with me suddenly to go back to her ex-boyfriend and I wished her well. I saw her back on the site several months later and we started dating again. This time she started having wild mood swings and paranoid jealous rages. After she cooled down one of the times she informed me that she was schizophrenic and would have persecutorial delusions of me being this cheating type and any little thing I say or do might trigger the delusions. One of the things I had done to trigger her delusions was I had forgotten to disable my OKCupid account when we started dating. This seemed pretty reasonable to me, so I disabled my account in front of her and even offered to show her my brief conversations with other women. I tried to continue dating her despite her mental health issues, but all this same crazy stuff kept coming up over and over in a short span of time and we eventually broke up. So afterwards I decided to go see what was happening on OKCupid.

When I tried to login I kept getting this message that "Were having technical difficulties, try again later". At first I thought I may have forgotten my password and I tried to do a password reset. I never got a response. Finally, I found this really cheesy technical support form that you can send into them that they mention may or may not get a response. After 2 days I did get the following email back from them:

"Hello,
You were reported for harassing users.
We have reviewed your account history and you have been blacklisted for behavior that violates our Terms of Service. Your account and photos have been removed from public view.
We don't issue refunds for accounts that were banned for TOS violations. This was clarified in the Terms and Conditions you agreed to when you joined the site. Here is a link to our Terms and Conditions statement, in case you'd like to review it: https://www.okcupid.com/legal/terms
If you've subscribed with the App Store: Unfortunately, iTunes does not permit us to cancel subscriptions or issue refunds for iTunes payments. Please contact them directly, or follow these instructions to cancel your ongoing subscription: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4098?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
We consider this matter resolved.

Sincerely,
Morgan"

So apparently I was harassing someone from my completely inactive account. I got no warning, no suspension, no reason other than them saying "You were reported for harassing users". I can only assume that the girl I had been previously dating had reported me for harassment in one of her jealous rages. This is something I definitely think a dating site should take seriously, but they should at least have some kind of proof that the accused person is actually doing something. Or was at least active on their site.

If you would have asked me to review them several weeks ago, I would have given them a very high rating. Unfortunately this is a very unacceptable way to treat any customer. If I would have bothered to read any of the reviews on this site, the BBB, and other similar consumer review/protection publications I would never have given them any money and might not have even signed up for the free service. I hope I save some of you the frustration.

They have made me a victim of harassment in the name of protecting people from harassment.
I consider this matter resolved.

marciek3
1/28/18

Okcupid used to be a fabulous and free way to meet people. The site was easy to use and visually pleasant. I was a member for 6 years and I've watched as they have systematically destroyed the site. Match.com bought them out out and now is squelching their competition by making the site unwieldy and difficult to contact people. You used to be able to send a message and the receiver could see and answer if they chose to, whether you were a paying member or not. Late 2017 they changed the messaging system and made it so confusing, that Cupid had to send a detailed blog post describing how to now contact people. It has become so encumbered as to make it too hard to even try and contact anyone. I gave up trying to connect and apparently other users feel the same. I no longer get messages since the change. Feedback from their users were across the board rabidly negative and Cupid has totally disregarded them. What used to be a great site has been killed by their competition. I guess the lure of $50 million was enough to sell their soul to the devil. Just business as usual.

christinem185
1/24/18

Was a paid member for 1 yr- then they changed the site late 2017. Let my subscription expire , then after 2 months off , received an offer of $8/ month to renew - and did. After that my profile Gender kept mysteriously changing from Straight to Gay, and after numerous times of correcting it in my profile and saving it was frustrating as I was matched with 1 Gay person and 1 Bisexual person. Tried searching for Straight Men on the site and can only view a blue screen - unable to view other profiles. Tried to contact them via email- no response , then by phone - the same. This is NOT worth any money as the site is a SCAM.

jaccov
1/15/18

This site does not do wonders, if you are in a bad spot on the dating market, this site won't improve it, but more likely point out that you are in a bad spot.
On this kind of sites there are always scammers. I saw them usually being removed within 24 hours.
The site is basically free which gives enough options to communicate with people. Be aware nothing is really free so to use the best features you need to pay. That cannot be a surprise.
The match questions can be very usefull or very silly or too complicated to answer with a multiple choice action. Don't answer queries you do not want to answer, there are thousands so just skip these.
Also many questions are USA-based. The company is USA-based, so the obvious questions about Trump, gun control, mansplaining, micro-cheating are popping up like popcorn.
However the questions have been set up very broadly. If you are a devout christian, you can answer that you want to keep chaste till the wedding, intelligent design is science and are against abortion.
If you are a heteroflexible polyamorous atheist, who loves annilungus, who thinks capitalism is bad and trees have souls you also might find your match.

mikel394
1/12/18

But I'm still freaking single lol!!! Every1 seems 2b sayin wejustfit.com is a good option so will give that mofo a shot and double my chances, I need all the help I can get lol!!!

pennyp14
1/8/18

As a 2x divorced woman that met her second husband on OKC and had a horrible 4 year marriage, I would have and I never thought that going back on after the divorce would have changed my life forever. My Fiance and I met and connected with a 95% match! This is the man I have waited all my life for. We live together and every day it is refreshing and beautiful even after almost 8 months, and now we are "one", and very soon to be married.

Like any dating site, you are going to get the fakers and scammers. I was married to one. It also helped that we lived about two hrs away in the beginning. It works! I am living proof.

abhik6
1/8/18

OkCupid is an American-based international online cheating and robbing website that features multiple silly questions in order to FOOL its members.

Their aim is to steal each and every penny from customers credit cards.

This website is garbage...total fraud....

Tip for consumers: LIAR....SCAMMERS...... VERY BAD....

gregj66
1/5/18

OkCupid shows off a 'questionable' graph with a 23%-34% reply rate on their own blog for men messaging women, depending on message length. You'll see for yourself, if you ever make the mistake of using it, that this is very unlikely. I have never heard of anybody, even the hottest guys, who regularly gets this reply rate on any dating site, and I've been using dating sites for many years. It is near *impossible* to get a reply out of any girl, let alone a conversation, as the vast majority have absolutely no intention of engaging in conversation unless you're a hunk with a six-pack. Personality counts for nothing, as does profile content or message quality, UNLESS you're a stud. Women who say they "want a nice guy" really mean "I want a male model who I have control over and who caters for my every need". These women are deluded enough to believe that such guys have any loyalty, which makes me laugh, as they reject almost all men who ARE loyal.

There's a reason OkCupid pulled the features that showed you how often people reply, and the visitors, and it wasn't because those features were useless, it's because OkCupid is. Almost every woman had the worst rating of 'Replies Selectively'. They think omitting these facts will make you believe the fault is with you rather than the site itself.

The site is rife with women claiming they want decent men, yet clearly are filtering for the hottest, most attractive men. As a guy, you *cannot* filter like this (you're lucky to ever get a reply) so it doesn't go both ways. OkCupid want you to believe the problem with your poor reply rate is your own messages/profile. It isn't. Profile reviews make no difference. The problem is with them, and their lack of, and picky, female members.

The site is practically worthless for men. Don't waste your time. If you do waste your time, come back and write about your experience - it will likely be the same. Don't review it until you've been on it for a while - you might be treated differently when you first join!

Also, watch out for reviews (on other sites), higher up the Google rankings, reviewed by *one* person of a clearly commercial website. And reviews of 5 stars written by people with only 1 review total.

Tip for consumers: Profile content, personality, and message quality count for nothing regardless of what you have been told. You have to be a stud to get replies, and even if you are, you will get few.

johnc896
12/22/17

Did a browse of female matches, 10 year age spread & with 500 miles of where I live and online within the last year, those were the only filters I used. I live in CO and not a single match in the entire state. No single women on the site in the entire state of Colorado or New Mexico!

nancyd150
11/16/17

Okcupid Sail70e29 is again another fake profile for Randy Sonnier rss70 on plenty of fish. Claims he's a Captain and sails all the time...part time carpenter that's unemployed for the winter with a broken down sailboat that he calls home, who's just looking for free room and board provided by some unexpecting woman..he's handsome and charming and a complete sociopath..on a Friday night he claims to be sailing..reality is he's spent all week on line looking for a hookup. Ok cupid and plenty of fish are just a place these people go for a captive hunting ground.

johnm1223
11/15/17

I used this site back in the day and decided to try it again with wejustfit (my cousin recommended WJF). I prefer WJF all things considered but Cupid still has some potential and so much depends on where you are and how many members these kind of sites have in your area. OkCupid used to be really busy where I am but its not what it was in terms of numbers anymore IMHO.

johnm1213
11/8/17

Imo not bad but also not good enough. Been only using it for three weeks and did not really felt like I am getting nowhere with OKC. Pretty average, imo!

arielc25
11/3/17

I live in California, I look ok and I am a computer engineer so I was surprised to get almost no response from women I contacted, and no one contacted me. In the past I had good experience with other dating sites( that are not free).
So I decide to check what is going on. I created a fake profile of a 43 year old woman who looks above average. This profile got 220 messages in less than 24-hours that it was open.
So I think that the chances for a men to meet a woman in this site are quiet small, at least California.

amberv11
11/1/17

I met the man I have been looking for my whole life on OK Cupid. We met 10 weeks ago and are getting married and planning on starting a family ASAP.

michellej123
10/20/17

Too much time wasted on nonexistent people. Many cannot put together a grammatically correct sentence.

The app itself is easy to use but no evidence of scammer removal.

brendam166
10/18/17

Quite liking this dating site. Not sure it's as good as my all time fave wejustfit but it's not far off. Some really nice people on their and a good way to kill time, I just spend my commute to work firing out messages & doing searches then. By the time I get home I usually have a reply, although not always of course. Quite happy with it. B. McAuley, 27, Stirling

ak836
10/15/17

Why does okCupid allow someone text me even if it's not a mutual like?
I blocked at least 50 people over the period of just 2 months if using it because of all the harassing messages. Guys are just indecent here.
They post pictures that are offensive, indecent.. Okcupid doesn't do anything to filter them? I've reported at least 30 profiles.
You can't see who visited your profile anymore. So you don't know if there's a creepy stalker of yours....
And what's the deal with not providing an option to delete a profile??? I can only disable my profile!!!???

Tip for consumers: I can give 0 stars but there's no such option here unfortunately....

aliciaf18
10/13/17

It doesn't focus on the important things, education and occupation are optional and there are thousands of other irrelevant matching questions which the answers can be changed after 24 hours. Not possible for professionals to weed out the trash.

michaelt242
10/3/17

OkCupid is by far my favorite of all the sites Ive tried and Ive had the most success on it despite currently being single. It offers options other sites dont like narrowing down your search criteria to specific groups and types as well as giving a person the freedom to choose between a variety of sexual orientations and preferences. It may not seem like a big deal to most people, but other sites flat out exclude certain groups due to their lack of options. Im not poly or in an open relationship, but some people are and not all of them are swingers for god sake! If you are looking for a site thats not as vanilla as the mainstream dating sites and no where near as hardcore as some others, OkCupid might be a good choice for you.

mikeo79
9/18/17

Not sure I get all the gd reviews. Yes their are tunnes of people but the site isnt as fun as wejustfit.com or even tinder + ive not had as many dates as I thot I was gonna get.

591 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Sure! If you want to wait til hell freezes over. You're better off getting more fat cats! :-)

By michael h. [OkCupid Rep]

OLC is so so...... Most of the woman are in dream land and seeking Mr USA.. And are not going to meet you in person 95% of the time.... You really need to weed out the B.S & players.... And that is simple to do........ If they can't meet you in person in public with in one week. Drop them.... Don't waste your time.... Next!

By Danny M. [OkCupid Rep]

Terri - this is what I recently sent in about OKC. I will answer your specific questions at the end of this. I have heard many complaints about OKC and scammers. But I AM NOT HAVING ANYWHERE NEAR THE PROBLEMS THAT OTHERS ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT. I am on several sites, and I experience about the same % of scammers on all. 1) it is so easy to spot a scanner - he wants to use email or text/phone right away. Is this really a problem? I immediately block. 2) if he is in Africa or any other 3rd world nation, I immediately block. I filter my messages so that I do not receive messages from anyone who has answered less than 100 questions or is at least an 85% match. Scammers are so obvious. Also, I note that most scammers claim to be "god-fearing christians," or "looking for an LTR or marriage." I am an atheist and very liberal and state this in my profile and my questions. I know what I am about to say is very offputting, snobbish, elite, etc., but I don't think scammers hit atheist, well-educated, and skeptical people as much as they do others (christians). Sorry, but I did say you wouldn't like that. Scammers are on every site. I have been following the sites and the complaints about scammers. My conclusion, based on my experience, blogs, and LOTS of research, indicate that every site has about the same amount of scammers. Sites that provide almost 0% info on potential matches (Zoosk, POF, tagged, Chemistry, Match, ourtime, etc. - all worthless for matching, IMO) do NOT have fewer scammer than OKC. I am also a moderator on OKC. WORD: Do a GIS on every picture on every profile on every site. It will tell you if the pics were stolen from a commercial source (models, actors, etc.) or not. I have had a ton (sometimes 3/week) of dates from OKC, and I do not believe any of these guys were scammers. Finally, if you know how to spot a scammer, what difference does it make how many there are on any site? I am 59. Yes, I have many very young men contacting me. I just say "You are too young, but thank you for your interest." If they reply, I block. As I stated, I've met tons of great guys (and of course, creeps) and had a lot of dates. I have a lot of correspondence before the date, and make it clear that I am looking for LTR and NOT FWB, NSA (what a load of crap). I have not clicked with anyone yet; but the, I am an atheist, free-thinker, liberal in Texas. Not a lot of guys hit on me (after 18 months on OKC, I only get about 8 guys/week hitting on me. Check my profile: I'm not gorgeous (LIB75002) or email me: joannar75002@gmail.com). I will be happy to help you further, if requested.

By Joanna R. [OkCupid Rep]

If you use care and caution it's safe. Women are subjected to more weirdos but you can block them. Spammers are going to get through and they will usually ask for your email or phone number. If someone interests you message a lot before you meet and always meet in a public place. If someone insists on more than you're comfortable with move on.

By Marty E. [OkCupid Rep]

Yes, I have had this happen a lot. People just want your phone number because they don't want to use the site. Then they want to ask questions like where you are from. I guess so they can research you. I am real leery about giving out my email and phone numbers. All kinds of scammers out there.

By Connie E. [OkCupid Rep]

Yes, it is completely free... You pay for the more advanced features, but over the last ten years or so, I have met my last 6 lovers through the site ( though oftentimes it turns out that we already knew the same people... The matching algorithms are simply _that_ *good*!) and have never given them a single penny. ( though honestly, I really should, if only out of gratitude! ) Give it a try, it really is head and shoulders above the rest of the sites out there...!

By Todd M. [OkCupid Rep]

Yes. They'll never meet with you because they're contractors and 3rd party representatives, which is a fancy term for scam artists contacting you and pretending to be someone you think that you're looking at in the picture/profile that you are in contact with. The photos are ripped off from Facebook, Tumbler, or porn websites. THESE ARE THIEVES! I was robbed for over 150$ by one of these sites, and it's time to let everyone know. MAKE SURE THAT YOU READ ALL REVIEWS BEFORE REGISTERING FOR ANYTHING!!!

By John D. [OkCupid Rep]

Unless they have everything backed up, you're out of luck.

By Ian H. [OkCupid Rep]

Same site, smae people, same matches, but slightly different features.

By Jacco V. [OkCupid Rep]

It's called "We are going to put this in with no lube"

By n A. [OkCupid Rep]
Questions? Get answers from the OkCupid staff and other customers.

OkCupid?