Review of NorthAware

Tel: +1 844 667 8400
info@northaware.com

tiaral3
10/3/18

I backed the kickstarter camping. I decided to send the coat back for a refund because 1) it was too big and 2) the faux fur around the hood was pitiful. I followed their directions to email, give my email and order number, get a return ticket and then send my jacket back to their facility in Toronto. Once the jacket was delivered my return would be processed. Only it never was. I then got the run around from the whole company. At least 10 different people all said they would look into it' but nothing was ever done and I was never refunded. Worst customer service experience ever.

ejc3
8/6/18

Have emailed the company many times. Today I finally filed a Better Business Bureau complaint. Company has raised millions in successive Kickstarter campaigns and expanded sales in Canada and the UK but still hasn't followed through for original backers. Communications seem evasive. Waiting for refund and if they ever do send, I'll be certain to demand a full refund. This company has done nothing to demonstrate ethical or honest customer service.

joannaf13
4/4/18
• Updated review

The company advertised a full refund, required an expensive shipping service to return the coat, and after TWO YEARS OF WAITING for a refund with SHAMEFUL DELAYS and POOR COMMUNICATION, they had the nerve to deduct fees the refund. I was refunded roughly half of what I owed. This is a pyramid scheme, do not buy from them, the hassle is not worth it.

“Company is Criminal”
4/2/18
• Previous review

After over a year of frustration, they issued a refund--but FAR less than the original amount. Do not do business with this scam company under any circumstances.

Response from Amanda T., NorthAware Representative
Hello Joanna,

The refund that you were issued was for the amount that you paid for your products minus the shipping fee and the 10% Kickstarter fee which are both non-refundable.
“Scam Company-do not buy a coat under any circumstance”
2/5/18
• Previous review

Over a year later and I am still waiting for a refund, I was a Kickstarter original backer. The company is completely unresponsive, an utterly incompetant and possibly criminal business.

Response from Amanda T., NorthAware Representative
Hello Joanna,

We apologize that the refund was delayed, and we are glad that we were able to have your refund issued despite your card being invalid on Kickstarter.
scottk108
3/21/18

I don't have to say much, you can just read the other reviews along with the comments on kickstarter. The company makes promises and rarely ever deliver.

Response from Amanda T., NorthAware Representative
Hello Scott,

Thank you for voicing your opinion. But with all due respect, it is not fair to say that we rarely deliver. We have delivered all of the coats to our over 8000 backers along with all of the thousands of coats that were pre-ordered last season. There are comments on our Kickstarter message board expressing dissatisfaction with the changes made to original design and due to production delays, but at that time, we were a brand new company. We have since streamlined processes and grown as a company to improve our products, customer experience, production, and delivery.
reneer63
1/25/18

Ordered March 2016, arrived December 2016, and was not the coat I ordered, had to send back twice at my own expense after being opened and refused on their end in an effort to get me to give up and keep it.
It has been sitting with them since May 2017, and I still don't have a refund.

Response from Amanda T., NorthAware Representative
Hello Renee,

We apologize for the experience that you had. We are glad that we were able to get your refund sorted out for you.
estherl24
1/11/18

Ordered the Parkas on Kickstarter in March 2016
Received the Parka in Dec 2016, sent it back for exchange in Jan 2017 because the size was WAY OFF
Still havent received my Parka ITS 2018!

I have talked to different people from NA and they all promised me my parka is on the way or that the item I want ran out or there was a warehouse issue
Given its a new company I have waited patiently until its winter again and I need my coat
I asked them to send me the tracking number of my order and they sent me a fake one! Thats when I knew they have been lying & stalling
I called them out and requested for a refund two months ago, and havent heard back since.

Please join the class action lawsuit on Facebook group North Aware Smart Parka Victims
I am not a progressive person but this company is so dishonest and people dont deserve to be scammed this way.

Response from Amanda T., NorthAware Representative
Hello Novia,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad that we could work together to resolve the issue. We hope that you are liking your upgraded coats.
aparnam1
12/13/17

Worst jacket ever. Biggest scam. The jacket does not keep you warm at all. The claims are false. the buttons are falling off and the gloves are F all

Response from Amanda T., NorthAware Representative
Hello Aparna,

Thank you for the feedback. It sounds like your coat may be defective, can you please send us an email to info@northaware.com? We are happy to process an exchange for you.
oliviab52
11/26/17

UPDATE:
We finally received our jackets. They do not look like promised; they do not look like the pictures on the website, and the materials are different. I would not have paid $350 each for a standard jacket manufactured in China.

To list a few things: For the male jacket, the collar is fake fur (when I bought, it was supposed to be fur, and they never emailed me and said they would change to fake fur, and no price reduction) and the wrong color (black and white, not beige as promised), there are bright silver zippers where there should have been black pockets again, just to name a few. My jacket is the wrong green color, the bottom half cannot be zipped off (a key feature of the jacket), the collar is not real fur, the zippers are slanted, just to name the most obvious ones.

Not a bad jacket, but definitely NOT worth the price, and you won't know what you're getting, or when.

__________________
I ordered two jackets, for me and my husband, in March of 2017. I paid for them in full on schedule, and was promised an October 2017 delivery at the latest.
I have yet to receive the jackets, and have so far only received empty promises from customer service ("it will be shipped by the end of this week", "by mid November at the latest" and so on). I really need to know, for real, whether the jackets will arrive before 1) it starts snowing in Boston 2) we leave for a ski trip in 3 weeks.

Response from Amanda T., NorthAware Representative
Hello Olivia,

We are sorry to hear that you were unsatisfied with your products. We did make the decision to use faux fur instead of real fur trim after researching about how real fur trim is sourced. We also never had a beige option, we only offer black, white, candy red and hunter green. The first generation Smart Parka has a removable length extension, but Smart Parka 1.0 does not. It sounds like you got the upgraded version.
kylaw8
11/26/17

terrible customer service. I wanted to order the animal free Smart Parka with fabric gloves, not leather. Continued to get a generic response from the company that the Smart parka was animal free and came with fabric gloves despite the fact that the website says the complete opposite and all jackets come with leather gloves. The most frustrating part is they just wouldn't answer a simple question and seemed to not care at all. Was excited to order the jacket but won't be supporting the company due to the terrible service. Completely believe all the reviews regarding coats not being refunded etc as they truly seem to not understand how to treat their customers.

Response from Amanda T., NorthAware Representative
Hello Kyla,

Thank you for your feedback. At the checkout, you are able to choose either fabric or leather gloves.
javana
11/19/17

Lied about their sizing and refund policy. The jacket I bought was way too big so I returned it. More than 10 months later I have yet to receive a refund. At the end of the day I paid $400 for nothing.I might as well send money to some Nigerian prince

Response from Amanda T., NorthAware Representative
Hello Javan,

Thank you for the feedback. Our sizing chart has been updated and is true to the sizing of our coats. All customers have the option of returning their coats for a refund within 30 days of receiving their products. If your refund has not been received, please send us an email to info@northaware.com and we can certainly assist you.
ronnyg1
11/18/17
• Updated review

and just like that the jackets arrived today. must say, despite the frustrating 2+ months from order to delivery, these are some pretty sweet jackets. happy to up the star rating. once the left hand knows what the right hand is doing, this company is going to be a thing. damn good jackets.

Response from Amanda T., NorthAware Representative
Hello Ronny,

Thank you for the feedback. We are glad to hear that you like your coats. We are constantly working towards improving our processes to ensure that we are giving our customers the best experience possible.
“2 months later, still no jackets”
11/18/17
• Previous review

i ordered 2 jackets over 2 months ago and i still havent received them. i get an email once every two weeks saying it will be shipped "this week", yet the tracking number has no information. i've called my credit card company to dispute the charge. very unhappy with them, all i get is empty talk

jeng47
11/8/17

Terrible customer service. I ordered a jacket on Oct 11, 2017, and emailed them to cancel my order the following day once I measured myself and realized the jacket would not fit my pear-shaped body. Still, I received the jacket in the mail two weeks later. There were no instructions about where to send the jacket back. I emailed them to ask about this. A week later they sent me a link to "request" a return and refund. It's been 2 weeks and I've heard nothing back from them, despite sending them an angry email every 5 days or so with no reply. Now I'm stuck with a jacket I don't want with no way to return it. And now its past the 2 week return limit. Ridiculous.

Response from Amanda T., NorthAware Representative
Hello Jen,

We do apologize for the experience that you had. Your feedback is appreciated. The reason that we were unable to cancel your order is because all pre-orders are locked in 30 days before they are set to ship as explained in our policies. However, customers do have the option to initiate a return within 30 days of receiving their products.
irfaanj
11/4/17

There are some problems with customer service and the internal structure of the organization. However, after some effort, they refunded my money and gave me the jacket for free. I must admit that the jacket itself is worth the money - Hands down one of best jackets I have ever owned!! - Warm, good quality, functional and looks awesome !!

Response from Amanda T., NorthAware Representative
Hello Irfan,

We are constantly working to improve our processes and give our customers the best experience possible. We are glad to hear that you like your coat.
cn67
11/2/17

Ordered a bomber, realized I didn't need it anymore. So i returned it the day I received it. My rep was john. Things were going smoothly until the manager Richard stepped in. He claimed that John didn't proceed with the proper refund procedure. So i follow Richard's instructions, well the best I could. Just like their customer service support, the link was broken. I couldn't proceed with the proper refund. I've expressed my concerns through email. No reply at all from Richard or anyone else in regards to my refund. I feel like they scammed and holding my money hostage.

What a $#*! Canadian company

Response from Amanda T., NorthAware Representative
Hi C.N,
I apologize for this. I replied to your email with the correct link and information to process the refund. Let me know if you have further issues.
toddb58
10/31/17

I ordered my jacket in July. called the VP and miraculously he answered. Promised an October 2017 delivery. NOT! Seems like this is a scam. What recourse do we have??

Todd in NYC
Todd.toddennett@gmail.com

Response from Amanda T., NorthAware Representative
Hi Todd,

Your order is currently on its way. Please send an email to us at info@northaware.com for an update.
katies114
10/31/17

This company is dishonest and unethical and cannot run their business. I purchased one of their coats on kickstarter (never doing a kickstarter again) and it took months and months after their projected date to get the coat. Fine. I requested to return for a refund and they accepted. I mailed in the coat and the REJECTED the delivery (mailed to canada and had tracking number as per their request cost $70+). I inquired why and they said they were moving warehouses and I would have to wait to return. Ok... fine. I finally got the new address after hounding them for a couple months after the time they quoted. I returned the coat and they accepted. It's been about 9 months of me hounding them and they refuse to return my money. They will not respond to me despite me contacting them in new emails etc. This is almost $350 they owe me and no word. At this point I have given up. I've read several other reviews/experiences and hope people do a class action law suit. This company is a fraud--DO NOT BUY HERE! They have stolen my money. Guess I learned a big lesson.

Response from Amanda T., NorthAware Representative
Hi Katie,

Please send us an email at info@northaware.com and I'll provide you with an update on this.
carolh170
10/12/17

I ordered two coats, one in March 2016 and the second in May 2016. Two coats were shipped and arrived late, January 2017 (should have arrived in October 2016). My request for a refund is submitted and accepted in February 23, 2017. I ship the coats back on March 16, 2017 and they arrive at North Aware on March 20, 2017. I follow-up on March 30th and they replied that "refunds are processed within 10-15 business days. If it is after 10-15 business days, please email info@northaware.com with proof your product has arrived and the customer support team will process the exchange or refund to complete the process." So I wait until April 11th and send a follow-up message. First they say they will process the refund in Oct 2017 when their warehouse re-opens. Then they say they are no longer issuing refunds and offered a new coat to be shipped in August/September 2017. I reiterated that I only wanted my refund. I have not heard back since. So currently, I'm in the hole about $600, with no refund and no coats.

I am not the only customer not receiving a refund. Several Kickstarter backers have complained to the business and North Aware has only responded with a boiler-plate message.

It is now Oct 2017 and I just sent another follow-up. Let's see what they come up with this time.

UPDATE Nov 2018: Still no refund and no response after multiple follow-ups. Definitely a SCAM.

Response from Amanda T., NorthAware Representative
Hi Carol,

We are presently processing this request, send us an email at info@northaware.com and I'll provide you with an update.
cindyy21
10/6/17

The jacket didn't look like the one in the ad, nor did it fit me very well. The torso area was ok but the shoulders were huge. I returned it for a smaller size and had the same issue, giant shoulders. So I asked for a refund. This would have been in April 2017 about. I had to email them to make sure they got my coat and would refund it soon. (Actually both times I sent in the coat, I had to send an email to make sure they dealt with it.) I get an email from Brendan saying this:

I apologize for the inconvenience. I looked into your account and it looks like your return shipment has not been processed yet. We did our best to process as many shipments as possible, due to the huge volume of Kickstarter orders, not all shipments were processed. Our warehouse is closed for this season. I have put you on priority for processing as soon as our warehouse open for next season. Our warehouse goes fully operational in Oct but we will process your shipment during our prep period in September.

Sigh...ok, so I will wait till the fall.

I waited till fall. I waited till October to bug them because I might as well give them an extra month. Here is what they said:

Thanks you for writing in. We are in the process of issuing refunds to our kick-starter backers on a first come first serve basis. We expect to process all remaining refund requests by the end of September 2018. Thank you for your patience we will let you know as soon as your refund is processed.

So...I replied back saying that this was unacceptable and quoted Brendan's words in the spring back to him. No response.

Don't lose your hard earned money to these scammers!

And if you're planning on posting a response, North Aware, that I should be getting my refund soon and that I'm lying by calling you a scam and that I must be imagining this problem...How can you prove to me that you're not going to keep dodging me until I give up and you get to keep my $300?

Response from Amanda T., NorthAware Representative
Hi Cindy,

Sorry to hear the coat was not the right fit. As per my response to you two weeks ago, your refund is being reviewed and processed and I hope to have it issued to you shortly.
victoriac82
8/21/17

My Smart Parka is all I want from a perfect winter jacket. Its incredibly warm for the challenging winters we have in Canada, and besides that its very stylish, and great quality - I always get compliments when I wear it. I would definitely recommend it to anyone!

Response from Amanda T., NorthAware Representative
Hello Victoria,

Thank you for the great feedback. We are glad to hear that you like your coat.
francescat1
8/2/17

Backed this company on kickstarter knowing I was taking a risk. The product they delivered did not even come close to expectations they set and was delivered months after originally promised. I was willing to accept this as a loss, but they then offered their backers refunds. I shipped my coat back immediately at my own expense, emailed them with tracking information, contacted them after my item was received and again several times later. It has now been 6 months and I have yet to receive a refund. They are scammers of the worst kind. Please do not be fooled. Save your money and save yourself the stress of trying to have any kind of conversation with them.

Response from Amanda T., NorthAware Representative
Hello Francesca,

I am sorry to hear you're not happy with the way our refunds are handed out. We have refunded 95% of our backers that have returned the coat. The other 5% need to wait for their products to be inspected once our warehouse opens, so we know the returned products are not in unsuitable shape. You must be in that 5%, so I am sorry to hear yours wasn't inspected before our warehouse move.
mushkyp
7/7/17

They don't respond to emails, send out coats months too late, and when they finally respond they "don't accept returns". Truly an abomination, I would stay far away from them. Review on the coat: much bulkier than expected, lesser quality than expected, just your typical junky Chinese coat.

Response from Amanda T., NorthAware Representative
Hello Mushky,

Thank you for sharing your feedback, but every single ticket you ever submitted has been answered. Just because the product did not meet your personal expectations does not mean you need to spread false information about our customer service.
jonaleenc
6/6/17

I have a really good experience with the company. I received my jacket few months ago but it's too small for me. I planned to return it for an exchange but the I totally forgot since I went on a trip overseas. I just got back last week and saw my jacket to be exchanged. I reached out to their customer service to ask if they can still honor my exchange and they did. Though they are moving warehouses right now, I didn't mind since winter is a few months from now. It doesn't hurt to wait I'm just happy that they honored my exchanges and they were really helpful.

Response from Amanda T., NorthAware Representative
Hello Jonaleen,

Thank you so much for sharing this experience!

We are honoured to accept your exchange despite being over the 30 day period. It's the least we can do for our customers!
jeank27
5/17/17

I received my coat last year and requested for an exchange on January. I got so busy the last few months and forgot about it. Last week I arrived home from travelling overseas and realized I didn't send my coat back for the exchange. I love the coat but the fitting was not right. I know that it was way beyond their 30 day exchange policy but I still tried to contact their customer service. I was so thrilled they honored my exchange, their warehouse is closed at the moment but i'm willing to wait since the winter is over. Really good service!

Response from Amanda T., NorthAware Representative
Hello Jean,

Thanks so much for sharing your feedback.

As soon as our warehouse opens and goes operational (we're close) we will send your products. Thanks for understanding and I can provide updates whenever you need them.
annem213
5/15/17

I pre-ordered two coats from this company. I changed my mind and decided to just order one due to budget restriction. I emailed their customer service to request for a cancellation and refund. They responded urgently and cancelled my duplicate order. Really impressive customer service! I would buy again hopefully if I'm able to settle my financial situation! Thanks! Your coats look really cool by the way.

Response from Amanda T., NorthAware Representative
Hello Anne,

Thanks so much for sharing your feedback.

We aim to fix customer issues and solve problems as quickly as possible, so we're glad your issue was solved in a quick manner.
bobk76
5/10/17

The Daily positive (fake) reviews coming in for North Aware are clearly covering for something. - maybe look at their kickstarter page for a better idea of how they conduct business.

hopefully everyone sees this and stays away, the company is poison, scamming and delaying dozens of customers with no refunds in sight.

Tip for consumers: Beware fake reviews, question everything.

Response from Amanda T., NorthAware Representative
Hello Bob,

Nobody has been scammed. Refunds have been sent to those who have requested them. Please do not spread untrue information about how we conduct business because you were not happy with your product.

Questions? Get answers from the NorthAware staff and other customers.

1 Photo for NorthAware