Review of Mercari

San Francisco, CA, US
contact@mercari.com

dextert12
1/16/19

This site shuts your account down because of your name. It says a item was being purchased or shipping out of this country which was completely false. Like discrimination. They also suspend your account for error in your purchases.

marthat54
1/16/19

I bought from them 2x Panasonic Lumix camera, in october 2018 and jan.2019-Delivery was without problems-free shipping, and item without defect.Also phone call service to them was answered with courtesy and desire to help.I strongly recommend them to all who hesitate to deal with them

genesisb7
1/13/19

Absolutely terrible $65 out of pocket for a fake Tiffany ring! Thanks a lot jerks! Will be reporting to better business bureau! The BBB!

sarahj360
1/9/19

So I been using Mercari for about two months+ I've sold about 20 items and bought 3. I have not had any issues at all, each and every transaction been smooth and simple.
If you want to join Mercari I HIGHLY advice you read the rules carefully. I was surprised to see how bad the reviews are for this app, but reading them I can tell people don't read the rules carefully and expect a lot from Mercari when something doesn't go correctly. SO you are putting yourself at risk by proving your address for shipping labels and bank account to receive the funds. YOU have to know what you are getting yourself into when you start selling or buying.
When someone buys an item you are selling- you ( the seller ) have three days to ship the item- which I believe is too long. When the item is delivered to the buyer THEY have three full days to accept they have received the item, rate the item, and then you the seller have to rate the buyer, THEN you get paid. I think that process is SO annoying because I have had 4 people not rate me so I have to wait three days for the system to automatically provide the funds to me. I think its so incredibly rude that people wouldn't rate the seller. So with that being said, people write these horrible reviews who don't read the rules then trash the app because something went wrong.
Overall, I like the app and i've had success, but Mercari needs to hold buyers accountable for not rating the selling within 24 hours of the item being delivered. If Mercari wants to have fasters transactions and quicker turn around with products being bought and sold they need to hold buyers and sellers accountable for shipping faster and accepting delivery faster.

amys307
1/9/19

I purchased a smart watch on Mercari. I learned my lesson. I had asked the buyer what the model number was & if it was up to date. I get told yes. I receive it and see that it was made in 2011 & not capable of syncing with my Google Pixel. I contacted Google support & if the watch was the newest version in (which is what I was told) then it would have worked. Or if the seller ever did an update. I contact Mercari & get told that I had to ask for a refund. I end up going back and forth with the seller because 'they do not do refunds.' All the selling apps have hard to reach customer service but Mercari does nothing. They make you do the work. Ideally, if a person sell a non-functioning item, the buyer should not be forced to hollar or be out money.

johng1384
1/8/19

If I could give less than one star I would. First of all a three day window to try and create a return is a joke. Trying to get a Mercari representative on the phone is impossible. Once waiting on the phone the automatic message tells you the wait time is over three minutes. Then the automatic Voice tells you the wait time is over seven minutes. Then you were told it's over 10 minutes. And you can wait for an hour or two hours and never get anybody on the phone.

I Purchased a sterling silver turquoise ring where the turquoise is fake. I tried to work with the seller and they referred me to Mercari. It was impossible for me to return the item or create a return with Mercari because when I set up a return within the three day time. And went to submit a return the field which controls the submit button is inactive .

In short avoid this vine selling app altogether...

sherit16
1/8/19

I sold a 14kt yellow gold, ring with a large rose bud as the center. The ring is stamped Italy 14kt. A girl bought it and I shipped it out. She received it, claimed it wasn't made of gold, that it was tin, and that she had changed her mind. I was really mad. I have had this ring for years and I doubt Zales sells items made of tin and then stamps them 14kt. She had asked for a refund. I explained I don't give refunds. I had several pictures of the ring, gave a detailed description and always welcome questions. I looked on the Mercari website for how to arbitrate or even contact Mercari regarding this return...and there was no way to contact them. Mercari didn't ask me any questions or communicate with me at all. The next thing I know Mercari said they allowed the return and do I want my item back. Unbelievable. I said , yes I do want my gold ring back. The ring was returned and without me even confirming the condition of the returned ring, Mercari told me that my item was delivered and the return complete. I was expecting them to at least ask if the ring was in the same condition as when I sent it, but they did not. I took all my jewelry and items offline and will never sell on Mercari again. They are no where near the professionals that Poshmark is.

lailat1
1/7/19

I just joined today. I thought it was so easy to list items - only takes 2 minutes. I listed about 10 items in no time. That was a great first impression.

But then, almost immediately after listing my items, I received notifications: Warning - Prohibited Conduct.

I was "warned" that my photos were stock. There absolutely are not. I took these photos and thereby own the copyright. I showed imperfections in a Celine bag I listed - how is that a stock photo?

Then, I couldn't wait to get a live person online to state my case. I called 888-325-2168 and went through the prompts only to get a voicemail, so I left one with my return contact and the item ID#.

I don't like doing business with anyone that goes to great lengths to avoid contact. This is a business relationship. When I registered, the system had me verify my number, but I had to Google Mercari to get its number. And it's impossible to chat/email/correspond with this company online.

There's a reason this site's reviews are in the toilet. Eww - stay away!

lindsayd51
1/7/19

Mercari has a rating policy that claims their ratings "create trust and transparency in the marketplace". This is a blatant lie directly from Mercari. Facts are that Mercari allows false, untrue, negative ratings. Ratings in which a party may leave a negative rating which is a 100% false statement and Mercari will refuse to delete or edit said rating even though they have been provided with facts proving said rating is completely false.
Mercari also allows buyers to leave negative ratings on sellers accounts based on their experience with USPS or FedEx, which should not be allowed since sellers have no control over shipping companies.

Mercari allows buyers to request "hold for pickup" directly from the shipping company which then prevents sellers from receiving their funds until 3 days after the buyer actually picks up the item, if they even do, with no regard to how long the item has been sitting at the pick up location. This can potentially prevent a seller from getting paid up to 30 days, if paid at all. Again, this is something sellers have no control over.

Bottom line, Mercari claims they have a policy of "trust and transparency", yet their business practices completely contradict their policy statement. They will gladly collect their fees from every transaction on a seller's item, yet refuse to uphold fair business practices when it comes to that same transaction that they have collected fees on. Proceed with caution when choosing Mercari as your selling platform. They definitely do not protect their sellers from whom they earn their income.

jeans231
1/7/19

There apparently is no oversight with Mercari. According to the site, the seller has three days to respond/ship the item. I know it has only been seven days at this point, but the seller, daniel son, has not made any attempt at all to respond to my two messages. And he is rated as a reliable, quick shipper! If the item looks too good to be true, turn and run. go back to Ebay or Etsy.

vickiw92
1/6/19

If you buy a item that the seller did not list all defects you can not work it out with the seller like you can eBay . You must send everything back no matter what if you can.Most sellers do not list most defects so you are on your own. You can not call,talk or reason with anyone.

cecilet4
1/4/19

This was my first purchase at the site. It'll be my last, I suppose.

I ordered an item back in December 24. The mail carrier said it was "delivered" on Dec 29, but I didn't get the package at all. I asked people in my household & all my neighbors. No one saw anything delivered around the specified time. It's a gift of stuffed animals. None of my neighbors had young kids, so who would need to steal a bag of toys?

Then I called the local post office, visited the post office again in-person, reported missing mails. Nothing helps.

Before my 3-day rating expiration time, I contacted the seller. She responded to my messages before the rating time, but after that, she didn't answer anything anymore (well, 'cause she's technically off the hook now?).

I also contacted Mercari via the online message & email (Yes, I was desperate at that moment after exhausting all sources of help that I knew of). I got a store credit, but with a message saying that my house address maybe the problem because it isn't correct ?! I used the same address with Amazon, Ebay & about 4 more online stores, and I didn't get trouble with the delivery !! Which part of my address is not correct, if 6 stores can run through it & deliver correctly? I grew "OCD" enough to read through how I type my address on the profile. It's exactly the same with the previous 6 times that I did with the other stores ?!

Luckily that my purchase isn't that expensive, and I did get a credit back from Mercari. However, It's not about the monetary loss here. It's consumer's trust that Mercari lost. I'm not even sure if I dare to use the credit to purchase anything next from the site. I have a "hanging" feeling that if I use it on another purchase, I won't get my item again.

joshr129
1/4/19

As a buyer and seller on Mercari I have to say that it isn't very seller friendly. One customer tried to cancel the order even after I had shipped and added the tracking info. Mercari sends me and email requesting to cancel in which I hit the "already shipped" button which should keep the order open. The buyer then tried to do it again a few days later and I again hit the "already shipped" button. Well a few days later my order gets cancelled. I am out of my product and shipping cost and the buyer gets a free item. Also there is no way of contacting the buyer once an order is cancelled.
Also as a seller I shouldn't have to wait to receive the money from my order until after the package is delivered and the customer writes the review. On ebay if I sell something I get the money right away and if there is a problem the money can be refunded.
In the case you need to talk to customer service you can forget about it. It's almost impossible to actually get to the page where you can send them a question, it tries to answer everything with faqs which are basically useless when you have an issue.

chrisp499
1/3/19

They do not remove unwarranted feedback. A buyer completely lied about me in the feedback. He made up some pretty wild allegations which can all be refuted by looking at the photos in the listing. But, Mercari has "policies." They can stand behind their policies and I can talk with my wallet and don't shop on Mercari or sell anything else.

allenj81
1/2/19

I sold over 100 items on this site with 5 star feedbacks. One buyer decides he wants a freebie claims I sent him a counterfeit Apple Watch band. I can easily show proof of what I sent. After 1 complaint mecari suspended my account and let this guy have a free Apple Watch band. The buyer was * Stay away from this site. It promotes scams and throws people under the bus. Customer service is crap. Their bbb grade is a F. Stay away!!!!

*Personal information redacted by admin

markb1096
12/29/18

(1) The seller did not ship my item for almost a month! I received no communication from Mercari during that time. I ordered on December 4th and received after Christmas on December 28th! (2) I had to find the seller on Facebook to get her to ship the item. She's a teenager who said she didn't ship because her printer was out of ink. She only shipped it when I told her to take a pen and write my address on the box! (3) The rating system sucks. I thought I was giving an initial rating of the condition of the item. Instead, it now says that I had a "good" experience with the seller and it was NOT GOOD! (4) I tried to cancel, but Mercari support did not do it in time and she shipped the item anyway. (5) Correspondence with Mercari support was poor. (6) The website redirected too many times for my browser to let me log in or check status. I finally was able to do it by opening another browser. (7) I will never use this site again and will encourage others to avoid it. (8) I want to change my rating for the seller and give some comments, but it will not allow me to do that!

ginav29
12/27/18

Mercari is a horrible selling tool that doesn't take the side of the buyer and allows fraudulent product to be sold and purchased without any repercussion to the seller and without refunds/credits to the buyer. I purchased 2 LOL SURPRISE POP dolls in October that appeared well since they were sealed. Mercari only allows 3 days to inspect with a fine tooth comb before they automatically release the funds to the seller. In my case, I was not expecting anything fraudulent with the product and could NOT in fact open it as it were a gift and that would defeat the purpose of purchasing new product that was sealed and giving an open gift out. If you don't review the product within those 3 days, that's it case closed. So what joy and surprise when on Christmas morning my TODDLER opened up these dolls to find them A) both the same and B) FAKE. They are so fake that my 3 year old noticed the difference. You know what she asked me? "Mommy why would Santa send me these? Was I a bad girl?" Why don't you try explaining to your child why this happened while hoping she still believes in the magic of Christmas and Santa? I called Mercari the following day and sat on hold for 25 minutes. Garrett on the phone was very apologetic and said that he was going to escalate the issue and was sure he would have it rectified. He even offered me a 25% coupon on my account as a courtesy, like I was going to trust the website again to purchase these items. I had tons of pictures and even saved the dolls to return back to them. So he escalated the issue and sent me an email. I fully explained everything over again and included the photos and got an email back within 24 hours with the Mercari guidelines and procedures, like a robot and like I already didn't know. So I wrote back again telling them that I understand how Mercari works and that I didn't care to be spoken to like an idiot. They told me to reach out to the seller. Why would I do that and what would come of that? The seller has their money and they will not get punished in ANY way shape or form? They could have easily ignored me or told me to go play in traffic. Why would I waste my time? Then they wrote back to me again when I asked for a manager and told me in not so many words, THEMS THE BREAKS. I asked them to pull my recorded phone conversation with Garrett and to have a manager/supervisor reach out to me ASAP but I know nothing is going to be done. This company doesn't help you with any problem that you have. They lied to me on the phone to pretty much get me off the phone. Their customer support is horrible and just reads to you from a book. What is the point of giving them a cut from my sales if you can't help me? Why should I pay to use your website instead of Poshmark, Amazon, or eBay? I know that at least 2 of those sites have been around long enough and are more than willing to assist a buyer in distress. Mercari hasn't been around long enough and lacks the compassion of a frustrated customer. As soon as my funds are released and sent to my bank, i'm closing down my store and never doing business with them again. I want to share my experiences with everyone so you can AVOID working with them and paying them for their lack of service.

Tip for consumers: Don't use this site because this will happen to you. Also, when you review your product, you don't get to see what the people say about YOU until you review them first. It's all a bad system, trust me and the thousands of other people who are writing bad reviews about them.

lorip143
12/27/18

I purchased an item and the seller shipped right away, however it was not my order. The labels got mixed up and I got someone else's order. Seller was apologetic and I initiated a return per her request. She assured me she had my product and would send it as soon as I shipped the wrong product back. She never sent me a return label. I had to work through Mercari customer service be cause the seller blocked me! What the heck? I have no way way of rating her now because once a return is received the deal is done. I guess she did it so I couldn't rate her poorly, which I never would have done if she would have just sent me my item. Now I want to rate her and can't.

sop1047
12/25/18
• Updated review

To be fair, I want to write an update to say that Mercari finally responded to my lost package by giving me a store credit for the purchase, including ship fee, which I must use within 30 days. They included a $5 promotional coupon. Mercari is my last place to shop regardless after EBay, Poshmark or Swap. So not sure if I will be using the credit within 30 days. I still haven't heard back from the postal service or the postman regarding my item. Maybe it will show up after the holidays.

Response from Mercari R., Mercari Representative
We appreciate the updated review and your honest feedback. It's never a good experience to have a package lost by your carrier, but please don't hesitate to reach out to our Support Team again if we can help resolve any issues or provide additional assistance.

Thank you for your continued support and have a happy New Year!

Best Regards,
Team Mercari
“Lack of Support”
12/21/18
• Previous review

I don't often buy from Mercari. The few times I've purchased from them, I've had no problems except recently, an item was marked as shipped and USPS tracking said it was delivered but I never received the item. I contacted my local post office and reached out to Mercari for help. On the Mercari's help center, it said they will help with lost packages. I have yet to hear back from Mercari, not even an acknowledgement email. The post office is bombarded with packages during the holiday season, so my purchase may eventually show up. Fortunately, the item was less than $10 so not a great loss. I'm hesitant to continue to shop on Mercari due to their lack of support. Ebay, Poshmark, and Amazon are much better. I purchase all my clothing items online because I hate to shop at the mall; this is the first time an item has been lost. I'm disappointed with Mercari's lack of response and customer support.

Response from Mercari R., Mercari Representative
Hello there,

Thank you for taking the time to review and leave feedback about the app. We're sorry to hear that our Support Team hasn't been able to provide you with proper assistance and will work hard to improve our responsiveness continuing on. Please also note that you can reach our Web Support Team anytime via email at contact@mercari.com if you're having difficulties doing so in-app. Rest assured that although it may take some time to receive a response at this busy time, we're doing our best to keep up and appreciate your patience.

We look forward to resolving this issue with you soon!

Best Regards,
Team Mercari
ad142
12/23/18
• Updated review

Once Mercari sides with the Seller, which they will, there is no option for you to review the Seller. Mercari took it upon themselves to assign a neutral review to both Buyer(me) and Seller. I guess this is to protect Deals4less from getting a bad review. I couldn't care less how they might review me since I will never be using either the Seller or Mercari again. Mercari obviously has no problem with the rudeness of the Seller either. Also, Mercari has no place on their site where you can actually review them! Most businesses that are proud of what they do would be confident enough to provide that option. Anyway, I'm sure both parties are very happy to have my hard earned money in their account regardless of everything.

“Don't plan on returning anything”
12/22/18
• Previous review

I purchased a purse which in my opinion did not match the Mercari picture in terms of color. Mercari denied the return request - it is up to their interpretation, not your experience. They referred me to the seller to see if they would work with me. After politely asking for consideration of a return or even an exchange Seller was rude and actually berated me. Seriously? All I can say is be 100% sure of your purchase cause you own it.

michaelk500
12/20/18

Bought one item to try this platform
It arrived broken and clearly missing a piece.

Request to return was denied, with some claptrap about after careful investigation, blah, blah, blah, which was obvious BS, as the photos I sent showed this clearly.

Horrible! Horrible! Horrible! Unscrupulous business.

Stay away from this platform.

amiej5
12/20/18

I am obsessed with mercari! I find myself shopping on my downtime. The set up is very user friendly. Items can easily be found in a search. Which will help with sales. I've sold and bought on here. It's completely replaced eBay for me.

kristinaw35
12/19/18

This site believes in taking care of and backing their sellers. They are a very easy platform to learn to use to sell your unwanted items.

nikkis111
12/19/18

Love the app. A marketplace I can sell my Pagan/Metaphysical artwork on. I've been on Mercari since August 2016, I have had no problems so far, and only all great experiences. Over 30 gre at ratings. Facebook search for Mercari support groups to get a better understanding how the app works.

aliciat22
12/19/18

I joined Mercari earlier this year based on a friend's recommendation and all I can say is that I wish I had joined sooner. I enjoy buying and selling and this is an easy platform on which to do it.

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Hi Richard, Many factors affect how quickly an item will sell; inventory, seasonality, competition, price, and so forth. Some items sell in minutes, some take a bit longer. Here are some of our seller tips: https://www.mercari.com/help_center/category/2/

By Mercari R., Mercari Representative

File a claim with the mail carrier .. you will be refunded

By Natasha J.

By Naomi K.

Hi there, When you purchase an item on Mercari, we hold payment to your seller until you confirm you've received your order and it is as described in the listing. You just need to rate your seller in order for payment to be released. If you don't submit a seller Rating within 3 days of receipt of the item, or if we can confirm delivery through the items tracking information, well assume the transaction was successful and release payment to your seller. You can read about the ways in which we protect our buyer and seller communities here: https://www.mercari.com/help_center/

By Mercari R., Mercari Representative

Hi Cody, When you purchase an item on Mercari, we hold payment to your seller until you confirm youve received your order and it is as described in the listing. You just need to rate your seller in order for payment to be released. If you dont submit a seller Rating within 3 days of receipt of the item, or if we can confirm delivery through the items tracking information, well assume the transaction was successful and release payment to your seller. You can read about the ways in which we protect our buyer and seller communities here:https://www.mercari.com/help_center/

By Mercari R., Mercari Representative

NO! Look around the web, I clocked up over 10,000 people RIpped OFF! There are petitions, BBB, and sites like this by the pages against them with accounts frozen with money in them. Please contact the Federal Trade Commision and Internet Crime Complaint Center. (IC3). It is illegal to keep anyones money! The IRS would like to know where all this money is also? Whos paying taxes on it? FTC will get your money! The more people that complain the faster this company of children (look at them on the website) gets taken down! The faster we all get paid!

By Naomi K.

I'm talking to customer service right now, I bought a phone $326 and last Saturday I got "the box" with no phone inside! And now thinking about it it was weird that the seller wanted me to rate the transaction the day I pay with out a tracking number :(

By Claudia M.

A seller has 3 days to ship your order out to you. After 3 days, the buyer can cancel the order and have their money refunded. It may take a day or two for the money to show up in your account, depending on the response time of the seller. Here is what happened to me: I purchased an item for 117.00 but after 3 days, the seller still had not shipped the item. I request to cancel the order. The seller agreed to cancel. He was having trouble shipping the item. It was a guitar. Well, a day later, the money was back in my account. No worries at all!

By Nicholas Y.

Good question. Poshmark charges a ridiculous $6.99 shipping fee for everything, regardless of weight. Only thing is, you cannot mail anything for less than $2.66 but I see your point

By Layla F.
Questions? Get answers from the Mercari staff and other customers.

Mercari?