Mercari

Mercari has a consumer rating of 1.51 stars from 1,017 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Mercari also ranks 222nd among Marketplace sites. The most common issues with Mercari are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

No positive highlights yet

• I tried to call customer service 4 times and each time they hung up on me.
  • The seller had 3 days to ship the item, so after 5 days I attempted contacting the seller and Mercari to no avail.
How would you rate Mercari?

“BEST APP EVER!”

Austin S.
5/18/20

Mercari is the number 1 selling app they have helped me make over 2 thousand dollars in 2 weeks selling all of my old junk and collectibles i never used anymore sitting in my closet. Why not let it sit on mercari to get SOLD instead?

“Poor Response to Question on Shipping Charge”

Clive S.
1/25/20

I attempted to make a purchase from Mercari.com. The item showed "fee shipping" in blinking text. When I placed an order there was a $4.25 shipping charge. Not a big deal but I asked the seller about the charge. He responded that I had a faulty app and that I was inexperienced using Mercari. He then refused to sell to me or accept text messages. Rude, rude, rude. Where do these people come from?

Reviews (1,017)

customer service (232) item (540) seller (523) 3 days (71) account (299) buyer (362) money (352) phone number (34) post office (27) app (384) customer support (31) credit card (43)
clives17
January 25th, 2020
I attempted to make a purchase from Mercari.com.
The item showed "fee shipping" in blinking text.
menan
January 22nd, 2020
I recently retained counsel and in the process of filing suit against Mercari Inc under California's unfair and fraudulent business acts or practices, as well as deceptive advertising. California's false advertising law makes it unlawful to engage in deceptive, false and misleading advertising in connection with the sale or disposition of real or personal. If you have been a victim of Mercari's illegal business practices please contact Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman & $#*!er law firm.
lindseem
June 8th, 2020
They do not follow their 3 day policy and close out support tickets when the issue is not resolved. I've had nothing but issues with support, and am now being told I cannot be reimbursed, from someone refusing to communicate on a delivered package, because I provided stock photos. Which means they allow scammers. Half the time the pictures come out poor or they are not supported by the app. Good in theory but poorly orchestrated. I gave them opportunities to fix each issue as they arise and they just close out tickets.
samuelh264
March 29th, 2020
Mercari is preventing me from transferring my hard earned money in sales on their platform. Account isn't closed nor do I have any notices. I noticed when I tried to promote an item and I was told I could not. Said activity isn't allowed unless I updated the app and/or verify my identity but the app is already up to date. About 3k locked inside mercari's platform and zero communication due to covid-19. Dealing with this company has been an absolute nightmare and a hassle.

Tip for consumers: Very buggy App if you're a seller you may want to avoid. ZERO seller protection from buyers.

edwardm552
March 23rd, 2020
Mercari is quick to take your money, but frozen-molasses-slow to resolve any dispute! I should have checked them out more thoroughly and missed the BBB report showing over 1,180 complaints filed against them. The photo shows the poorly packed and damaged art glass I paid for. Damage reports were filed, but not a word from them! This is my first and last transaction!
rachelb438
April 22nd, 2020
I was selling a Forever21 Active Legging and I listed it as Forever21 Active Legging and they took my item down saying it was fraudulent and not an authentic item wtf. I gonna try to ask customer service for help, but based on what others are saying, I'm kind of worried to send something in right now, and worried that they read these reviews, but will never care as long as they're making money. Shame on them.
joep824
July 12th, 2020
I tried to make a purchase with a credit card using all valid information. It went through but the next day I noticed that Mercari cancelled the transaction and suspended my account for no reason. No explanation, no phone support, no response. The people running this business are total buffoons. I won't be attempting another transaction on this bogus platform. Unnecessary waste of time.
michaelj917
February 12th, 2020
I had an account and then one day without any notice they closed my account and kept my cash balance! I seen someone was interested in one of my items I went to check it out I was gone! I contacted their customer service they said they could not find me I gave them everything to look me up and I said find close my account just give me my money! That was it I never got my money and the best they took their cut off those sales now they took it all shame on you Mercari a bad way to do business!
chrisa1065
July 24th, 2020
Mercari doesn't give buyers any protection. Purchases a Burberry bag from seller M-closet And also Mercado claiming all her bags are authentic, but Real authentication confirm that the bag is faked. I contacted both mercari and the seller, but the seller to request a return since Mercari claims that it guaranteed authentic or your money back. Seller didn't even bother replying nor concern that bag she sold me is Faked. No luck getting a refund from Mercari. Scammer! Stick with poshmark.

Tip for consumers: Stay away ! This company only tore the the seller . Mercari claims that they check and authenticate every designer brand sellers sell , but they don’t .

fredr175
June 25th, 2020
Mercari says no returns except for not as described. My buyer changer his mind 20 minutes after I posted and said he was sending it back. Lied about condition. I'm out 35$ postage. They've seen my last money.
jasona369
April 2nd, 2020
It's great to sell online that is until you make sales and don't get paid. Sold item was rated. Got an email from Mercari starting I had a balance. Nope. Nada. I've been selling on Mercari for over a year without issue's. Now their just stealing my money. No More sellers fees for you Mercari. Closing my account. Someone needs to start a class action suit against Mercari. Crappy Service Crappy Company. Don't trust this company and before doing ANY business with them look them up at the BBB.
tiffanym273
March 20th, 2020
A buyer can lie on you and mercari will side with them. I sold a sling bag that was described as a sling bag the person bought the sling bag but gave me a 3 star bc they wanted a backpack even though they never contacted me about that. When I confronted mercari they said I was innocent but bc of their new policy the buyers experience can't be deleted even though lies and illiteracy aren't experiences. They are a dense, unreasonable company. Go elsewhere to sell things.
ja411
August 11th, 2020
I took a chance, ordering something from a member who'd listed 10 items four months before but had zero sales, and didn't respond to a measurement question. She never responded to Mercari, either, so I got my money back when I cancelled after 3 days, but what a waste! If some people list on impulse but neglect or are so indifferent to tending their listings, Mercari should (but evidently doesn't) have a means to get rid of them.
cassandras86
December 23rd, 2019
I bought an echo show from a seller.it worked perfectly and there was no reason for me not to rate the seller. But immediately after I rate the seller the reported the device stolen and amazon disabled my device and replace him with another device. I told Mercari about the scam and they didn't even read the complaint.my point is they get the three days ratings before pay right what are they doing to prevent this type of scam. Now I have a device that don't work whilst the seller have my money and another device from amazon. Mercari is not safe they don't protect the buyer
jordanb96
Mercari R. – Mercari Rep
That sounds like a frustrating experience and we'd be happy to take a second look into it. If you have the time, please send our email support team a message at contact@mercari.com and a representative will follow up with you directly, Cassandra. We apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to hearing from you soon! -Team Mercari
roser200
May 21st, 2020
If you want pathetic lousy lazy customer service, get this app. Half the time you have dishonest sellers and you are stuck with the crap bc you cannot contact anyone. The 1 800 numbers have messages, they are not answered. The "help" center will get you an auto response or the same prepasted email... its almost funny. Save your money and go to Poshmark where you actually get a response. If you have encountered an issue at Mercari, you will unfortunately have to get your bank to reverse the charges. Sad waste. Look at prepasted message below. Received it 10 times!

Tip for consumers: Do not purchase anything high price, you will end up in a mess

johns6079
April 10th, 2020
Bought an instrument. Was damaged in transit or broken before. Asked for return. Said I qualify. Sent me a label. Spent time to package and drive 30mins to USPS for them to tell me it's too large... asked for another shipping label and they told me to pay for it... and they'll reimburse me... that's not how a legitimate co. Pany works in my opinion. I'm already out 400 and you want me to shell a 100 out or more... I don't throw more gas on a warm fire...
kimj281
May 15th, 2020
No support at all. I keep getting notices that my packages are over the weight limit & they aren't. I showed proof but I get these generic responses. Today I got a letter they could suspend my account.
This one here is 5.8 oz & I chose up to 8 oz. Clearly within limits but I keep getting same responses back & then a threaten shut my account down!
Anyone else struggling with this? Any advice?
michelb72
May 28th, 2020
So there are people on the website preying upon women. I "reported" 10 different times and no one ever got back to me. Also, I purchased a product and it was completely dried out. After trying to get ahold of the company for 5 days I finally have up. Two weeks later I tried again and received an email saying that they can't give me a refund. I will never use a site that does not take predators seriously. There are young girls out there that are vulnerable to these types of websites and they have done nothing to control it. Do not let your daughters sell their clothes on here!
orlandod28
August 6th, 2020
Terrible customer service, they took 2 weeks to respond to my email, also when you call them customer service its a voice mail really! Who does that! This Company is from Japan not Us, they closed my account because you can't email the vendor for detail on a product your buying, i dont have any problems doing that with Amazon or Ebay. Im sticking to Amazon and Ebay American Companys.
joset157
April 15th, 2020
First time buyer received a damaged espresso machine and package. Reviewing item is a double edge sword obviously well orchestrated no matter what happens you lose your $$$. Customer service worse ever, play games going back & forth with email. I will pursuit legal action based on principal now rather the loss of 100 +
laurens452
March 14th, 2020
I sold 16 items on Mercari. 3 of which were a nightmare. Customers claim items are not as described and want a refund, but never send the items back for returns. Customers can request returns for no reason "just because", and Mercari honors it! It isn't right. Stay away, lean towards Ebay and Poshmark where you are protected. Mercari doesnt seem to care about sellers, only about their "cut" when you make a sale.
janellaj2
March 3rd, 2020
I gave macari my passport as a valid id. They rejected it. Now I have over 150$ in funds they wont give to me. I have been on hold for 20 plus minutes and they hung up on me. Twice. What a $#*!ty company
marleneo20
June 16th, 2020
My account was suspended due to ID verification. Although is did verify my self. My Passport is a Mexican passport and that's why they said they couldn't verify it. Now they closed my account and I have money on it, $130 I lost. This makes me really mad because I'm a stay at home mother and I've been messaging them emailing them and they are dodging me. I need this money to buy stuff for my 2yr old!
chasev17
July 29th, 2020
Keep getting credit card error 200-011 when i add my card what the heck? Your support is total crap
jacareer
December 30th, 2019
Mecari closed my account held my 84.75 that was, already processed st 1:15pm 12/30/19 an reversed it back at 9:35pm on 12/30/19 after I gave them a piece of my mind. Trying to say I had a previous account. This was the only account I had with them. They committed fraud back reversing a balance bank transfer that was already processed an I have screen shot to proof it. Scammers an thevies. I will getting my lawyer involved. Tired of lying companies that target hard working people

Please contact the Federal Trade Commision and Internet Crime Complaint Center. (IC3). It is illegal to keep anyones money! The IRS would like to know where all this money is also? Whos paying taxes on it? FTC will get your money! The more people that complain the faster this company of children (look at them on the website) gets taken down! The faster we all get paid!

By Naomi K.
See more answers (5)

DID YOU GET YOUR MONEY BACK?

By MARK D.
See more answers (3)

Good question. Poshmark charges a ridiculous $6.99 shipping fee for everything, regardless of weight. Only thing is, you cannot mail anything for less than $2.66 but I see your point

By Layla F.
See more answers (2)

Hi Richard, Many factors affect how quickly an item will sell; inventory, seasonality, competition, price, and so forth. Some items sell in minutes, some take a bit longer. Here are some of our seller tips: https://www.mercari.com/help_center/category/2/

See more answers (4)

Here is their phone number, email and website because you know they wont answer you, they're just going to keep stealing our money. 855-464-7482 website is mercari.com and email is contact@mercari.com Im also contacting the BBB. Others may want to as well. Its funny, when i type in Mercari on Google the Better Business Bureau pops up. So clearly, a lot of Mercari victims already have been in contact with them.

By Megan D.
See more answers (2)

File a claim with the mail carrier. You will be refunded

By Natasha J.
See more answers (2)

Hi there, When you purchase an item on Mercari, we hold payment to your seller until you confirm you've received your order and it is as described in the listing. You just need to rate your seller in order for payment to be released. If you don't submit a seller Rating within 3 days of receipt of the item, or if we can confirm delivery through the items tracking information, well assume the transaction was successful and release payment to your seller. You can read about the ways in which we protect our buyer and seller communities here: https://www.mercari.com/help_center/

By Naomi K.
See more answers (2)

I have 1800 ties up and now I cannot access any of my account tried to transfer and said I needed to verify IDENTITY but this has already been done for about a year give or take employment is shut down where I am and this is my only income to support my family and now I have lost the money I paid for items plus my little bit of earnings SMH lost now they will Not answer any of my support inquiries

By Kendra J.

Hi Cody, When you purchase an item on Mercari, we hold payment to your seller until you confirm youve received your order and it is as described in the listing. You just need to rate your seller in order for payment to be released. If you dont submit a seller Rating within 3 days of receipt of the item, or if we can confirm delivery through the items tracking information, well assume the transaction was successful and release payment to your seller. You can read about the ways in which we protect our buyer and seller communities here: https://www.mercari.com/help_center/

By Mercari R.,

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Mercari staff and other customers.

This is Mercari: The Selling App. The fast and easy way to sell or buy almost anything.

jordanb96
Mercari R.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mercari?

Have a question about Mercari?