Review of Mercari

San Francisco, CA, US
contact@mercari.com

soniat26
4/24/19

If you have returns that are sent back to you trashed this platform could care less! Your item sells they give the buyers 3 days to " use" it before returning. If its trashed like my camcorder was they just claim you didn't send on time. I know i did tho because I replied immediately

janinen9
4/24/19

The real product is so much better than the picture . We just got back from DWD so I won't be wearing them for a while.

dingh
4/24/19

What is the scam? ... hedging their bets with multiple listing of the SAME item on many platforms.
1. Lists TONS of items, gets paid, never ships item and does not reply to messages, hopes buyer will not message Mercari, seller keeps money.
2. Lists items on Mercari, in addition to Ebay, Amazon, etc. Cancels your Mercari order if the same items sell for a higher price on another platform.

This how the scammers of Mercari con buyers. These low-life scammers 'sell' you an item. The buyer pays. Then after 3 to 5 days the buyer will message the seller asking for tracking information. The seller does not reply to the messages from the buyer. One to two weeks after no reply, buyer sends a complaint to Mercari. A few hours later the buyer receives the "cancelled order" email. Takes up to one to two weeks for the refund.

navarians
4/23/19

Sellers would always cancel more than a week later and takes a couple more weeks for mercari to refund you

jasons678
4/23/19

So I bought a item and seller cancelled so I should get a $135 which is what I paid. I paid using my debit card which is where my refund was supposed to go but instead you give me Mercari credit really? So I try to transfer the money to my debit card along with money I made from sales which was only two items but $40 there. That means I should have got $170 and some change back but it won't let me even with my routeing number and all that info. Really so I lost $170 that I can't bget back and here is the kicker I was BANNED as a "Risk" due to only one cuss word which I admit was wrong in doing but was mad at the time and told help center to "F off"

tommyr35
4/22/19

I've sold a whopping 2 items, I can't get the money I've "made", my items are mailed out...so I now have no money for items I sold.
To make matters WORSE, they make it so sellers cannot track, update OR complete transactions in favor of the payment received for goods "sold".

Basically, a buyer buys at inflated sale prices where MERCARI collects money for overcharged to the seller, overpayed shipping to the buyer & the seller STILL receives NO monetary compensation for services rendered.

This "business" has to be run by progressive liberal socialists...PROOF FOR THE OFFENSIVELY OFFENDED???
The merchant makes NO MONEY.

ITEM:

NHL Santa Official Figure https://item.mercari.com/gl/m13863853859/

I have a whopping $5.80 balance I cannot use at all.
Do this to 10,000 users & they've taken over $58,000 (not to mention the hundreds of thousands of dollars "lost" in shipping "fees").

It's a racket.
BEWARE!

dianec288
4/21/19

They don't stand behind buyer! I got ripped off from name brand 4 less (seller) for $403!) I bought a phone and she is a scammer! Buyer beware of this site! Also be ware of seller!

jamesg943
4/21/19

The prices on merchandise is completely too high,and shipping is ridiculous. A lot of the items are,broken,don't work,and sellers want more than if purchased brand new. A pair of wireless earbuds $11.00 shipping,and handling.? Give me a break. Save yourself some money, time,and headache. Go to Ebay.!!!!

johns3799
4/20/19

Just scrolling down the pages I see counterfeit watches galor. Is anyone controlling this site. Be smart shop somewhere else.

daphneg12
4/20/19

Thought I was purchasing a Juicy Couture bag and was sent a Lancome gift tote (you know the kind you get free with purchase). I tried to reach out to Mecari, they don't give you a way to contact them. I had to get the email through my PayPal account, the email was undeliverable. The bag was $30 bucks so not really worth my time to fight it. I just hope that if anyone has an issue you dont need help from Mecari. I can't get a hold of the seller. Buyer beware!

helenm279
4/17/19

No phone contact, since April 12/19 I make cancellation for a expensive dress, still today I dont have any answer, I loss more than $ 500, Andy the Buyer block me up. Dont recomend at all..dont use Mercari

Response from Mercari R., Mercari Representative
Please note that because our phone support line is limited, our team can be best reached via the in-app Help Center or our email support address at contact@mercari.com. We apologize for the issues you're having with your recent purchase and would be happy to take a closer look into this or any other problem you experience on the platform.

Best Regards,
kaitlinf4
4/16/19

I searched for a discontinued item and found it on Mercari so I took a chance and purchased it. Big mistake. Item came promptly but it is not at all what I ordered. I ordered a nail polish and got sent a setting spray. I've tried using their return system on my phone and two different computers and it says to put my information into a form that doesn't f***ing exist! I've now been on hold for over half an hour (they keep telling me during the hold music to call back during normal business hours but IT IS NORMAL BUSINESS HOURS IN THE PACIFIC TIME ZONE THEY MENTION). I think I'm just screwed and am not gonna get my money back or the actual product I ordered. It's BS. DO NOT USE THIS SITE.

zoeys2
4/15/19

So i just recently joined Mercari, and so far everything seems be fine, except for this: everytime i go to change my email or to remove my card it asks for authentication, which is reasonable, but when i type in my password it says it's wrong and when it finally works, it takes me back to my account and not to what i wanted. I have contacted them and nothing has happened. I tried to look at an order i placed and track it, but the same thing happens. And another thing, i logged out and tried logging back in, and apparently my password doesn't work. I, again, contacted them and nothing has happened. It's making me very upset and just want to get back into my account. I did try to change my password, but haven't received an email in order to change it. Anyone else having or have had these same issues? Or is it just me?

UPDATE: I figured out my issue. Apparently my email was changed, although i have to recall of changing it. Hopefully this fixes the issues i'm having

le118
4/14/19

post office accidentally cut off the tracking number. Mailed the jewelry and sent the buyer the receipt explaining what happened. It was received, and I never got paid for this special pair of earrings...couldn't get them to respond for weeks and they have "voicemail" which is really an email....DONT WASTE YOUR TIME ON MERCARI

amberm202
4/14/19

Me my mother and my sister each had

Me my mother and my sister each had accounts. We all sold different stuff. We were all banned because of having multiple accounts? Even though we are aeperate people who provided seperate bank accounts and social security numbers. I am now banned and can no longer sell on there site... I continue to get emails saying do not ever create an account or we will keep your money indefinitely. I would never recomend to someone just for the way they have treated my family. I am so disgusted with them.

jennifern217
4/14/19

Upon tracking an item that I paid for on the Mercari app, I discovered that the item was in fact delivered by UPS post office. However, I never received the item. I contacted the post office that said all they know it was delivered because it said it was. I have emailed Mercari the same day it say it was delivered Mercari emailed me saying that they would do something about it after I had brought it to their attention when it came time to "rate the seller". But Mercari did nothing for me. I don't even know if they released my money (the cost of the item) to the seller, since I would not give them a rating. Packages should not be delivered unless someone is there to sign for it, unless other arrangements were made in advance. The only thanking Mercari suggestioned for me was changing my address Thank you for letting me know. I understand that this is frustrating as a buyer.

We offer advice on changing your address in situations like this because you can choose to have your packages delivered to another location, like your workplace or a friend you trust.

We don't want you to end up in a situation like this again.

We're happy to review cases for buyers and sellers but we never guarantee that we will approve claims. Only that we will review the claim.

I'm sorry that this didn't work out for you.

Best,
Shan

tracieh27
4/11/19

Upon tracking an item that I paid for on the Mercari app, I discovered that the item was in fact delivered by FedEx. However, I never received the item. I searched all around for it but deep down I knew it had been swiped.
STOLEN! Mercari emailed me saying that they would do something about it after I had brought it to their attention when it came time to "rate the seller". But Mercari did nothing for me. I don't even know if they released my money (the cost of the item) to the seller, since I would not give them a rating. Packages should not be delivered unless someone is there to sign for it, unless other arrangements were made in advance. The irony of it all, is that the item that I was awaiting, was a video camera/ home monitor to catch the stinking thieves in this low-life town Nick-named Hollywood. Hopefully, I will be a past resident of Mt Holly, NJ

danielp540
4/11/19

Product sold not as described and does not even come to close to requested. Seller used bad faith in selling practice and Mercari ignores the issue. I purchased an item for a my specific vehicle and in the product description states that it is for my specific vehicle. Product was sent to me and when arrived it was completely wrong (not even close to the described intent). I emailed the merchant right away upon receiving the product and their excuse is they can't return a product because it doesn't fit. If I made the mistake in not asking for a specific product and not verifying the description of the product I would quite understand and take full responsibility for my mistake, but that is not so. The Seller purposefully misled me (the buyer) and the merchant who should be an impartial mediator do not want to rectify the issue. My money is hard earned and I refuse to be cheated of it.

saacos
4/11/19

I have been selling on amazon and poshmark for couple of years and recently ( less than 4 months ) started on Mercari and so far is have sold $11k worth merchandise ( both personal & collection for resale )
I love this site - can't express enough how happy I'm with this easy , cheaper in terms of commission rate & shipping charge
Love it and I feel like this site is a good luck to my on the side business -
Thanks to the site - I have 101 review so far and 99% are 5 star as seller :)
Very happy and hope to continue as long as I can

ryang192
4/10/19

I opened an account and found a few things i liked and purchased them.. couple hours afterwards i get multiple messages all at once... mercari canceled my pruchases and closed my account???? For what? I have tried sending emails , called, and no success.. NO REASONING..

Response from Mercari R., Mercari Representative
That sounds like a frustrating experience but rest assured our team would be happy to help! We'd like to kindly request you send us a message via the in-app Help Center or email support address at contact@mercari.com so we can help get your account up and running!

Thanks in advance for your time and cooperation.

Best Regards,
dayel
4/10/19

I purchased a few things from different sellers and I have been disappointed with every item. All sales are final on this site which is unfair to the unknowing buyer once they receive the items. I have WASTED my time and MONEY shopping on this site. I will stick with Ebay or ThredUp. Save your time and your money forget this site, what a waste!

kaylaf52
4/10/19

I ordered a bracelet from this site and they sent me the wrong shipping number i had to go to the post office multiple times just to find out the package with the tracking number they sent me was no where near what I was suppose to get. Also that package had the wrong name and address on it. I am so upset and very highly unsatisfied. I even tried to call and email Mercari and no one helped me at all. This is the worst site ever.

heatherl222
4/10/19

Beware of the seller campthrift! Seller had several lots of Manson t-shirts and I contacted through chat to see if the lots could be combined into one for one price. He agreed to the price and said he would combine the lot that night. Five days later with me sending messages everyday I finally ask him what's going on. He responded back that he agreed prematurely and that the price was too low. Then I contacted mercari support to see if anything could be done. I got the answer back that bulk deals are at the discretion of the seller and that there was nothing I could do. I love mercari and until now have had no problems. I find the lack of support saddening and will probably not use the app as much. All I can say is be on your guard and don't except support to offer the least bit of help.

micheler118
4/9/19

Thank you everyone who posted here so that other people don't get scammed! Kudos to you all! It's sites like this that makes you want to pull your hair out. I can't say thanks enough and I'm sorry that you all were scammed. Report them to the BBB immediately!

donnar69
4/7/19

This site is very expensive and the shipping is unreal!!

Think I will stick with the sales with the store!!!

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Hi Richard, Many factors affect how quickly an item will sell; inventory, seasonality, competition, price, and so forth. Some items sell in minutes, some take a bit longer. Here are some of our seller tips: https://www.mercari.com/help_center/category/2/

By Mercari R., Mercari Representative

File a claim with the mail carrier .. you will be refunded

By Natasha J.

By Naomi K.

Hi there, When you purchase an item on Mercari, we hold payment to your seller until you confirm you've received your order and it is as described in the listing. You just need to rate your seller in order for payment to be released. If you don't submit a seller Rating within 3 days of receipt of the item, or if we can confirm delivery through the items tracking information, well assume the transaction was successful and release payment to your seller. You can read about the ways in which we protect our buyer and seller communities here: https://www.mercari.com/help_center/

By Mercari R., Mercari Representative

Hi Cody, When you purchase an item on Mercari, we hold payment to your seller until you confirm youve received your order and it is as described in the listing. You just need to rate your seller in order for payment to be released. If you dont submit a seller Rating within 3 days of receipt of the item, or if we can confirm delivery through the items tracking information, well assume the transaction was successful and release payment to your seller. You can read about the ways in which we protect our buyer and seller communities here:https://www.mercari.com/help_center/

By Mercari R., Mercari Representative

NO! Look around the web, I clocked up over 10,000 people RIpped OFF! There are petitions, BBB, and sites like this by the pages against them with accounts frozen with money in them. Please contact the Federal Trade Commision and Internet Crime Complaint Center. (IC3). It is illegal to keep anyones money! The IRS would like to know where all this money is also? Whos paying taxes on it? FTC will get your money! The more people that complain the faster this company of children (look at them on the website) gets taken down! The faster we all get paid!

By Naomi K.

I got mine back after a week and a half but they banned me for life from using their website.

By Yuliya N.

I'm talking to customer service right now, I bought a phone $326 and last Saturday I got "the box" with no phone inside! And now thinking about it it was weird that the seller wanted me to rate the transaction the day I pay with out a tracking number :(

By Claudia M.

A seller has 3 days to ship your order out to you. After 3 days, the buyer can cancel the order and have their money refunded. It may take a day or two for the money to show up in your account, depending on the response time of the seller. Here is what happened to me: I purchased an item for 117.00 but after 3 days, the seller still had not shipped the item. I request to cancel the order. The seller agreed to cancel. He was having trouble shipping the item. It was a guitar. Well, a day later, the money was back in my account. No worries at all!

By Nicholas Y.
Questions? Get answers from the Mercari staff and other customers.

Mercari?