Review of Mercari

San Francisco, CA, US
contact@mercari.com

suzannec138
2/18/19

It was so easy, shipped fast, & the packing was great...was just what I was
looking for... It's more than I expected...the set is beautiful & the price was
great!

Tip for consumers: Great buys & can't beat their return policy.

victorx3
2/14/19

I love mercari , found rare items at cheap price. I had best experience in both buying and selling. Great features, a lot of traffic, low fees.

peterl411
2/12/19

Buyers can repeatedly cancel for no reason and still be issued a refund, your shipping cost is not refunded. Really bad customer service, your money isn't released until the buyer decides to rate you , unlike ebay .

coryf22
2/10/19

I'm currently in a dispute with Mercari. I purchased a $1500.00 laptop from a seller on their site. Purchase went through fine. Tracking was sent and I awaited my delivery. I was very vigilante in tracking. I was home waiting for the package to be delivered constantly updating on USPS.com tracking. All of a sudden it showed delivered. Went outside to reclaim my package and there was nothing there. I found my mailman 2 blocks down and asked if he had delivered a package to my home. He told me he hadnt and he had no packages on his truck that day. I then called the US postal inspectors office and filled a claim of mail fraud. They recommended that I contact my local branch and speak with a supervisor there. I was able to get in touch and we looked at in depth tracking that was associated with the package. It in fact showed that the package was delivered. So he checked the GPS coordinates of where the courier had actually delivered the package and it was a completely different address. Long story short, the prepaid postage that is created by Mercari was manipulated with a different address but still the same zip code to show it as delivered on USPS.com to my address. USPS was able to reclaim the package that was sent. It was a prepaid envelope with no laptop. If I wouldn't have been on point that day it was delivered there would have been no way to prove my case since the tracking and paper trail was showing it was delivered. Since then the US Postal Inspectors are now investigating the felony that was committed. The Mercari Support team have been in contact about the package and after providing them with official statements from the USPS they still have not refunded me. They said that this case will take a little extra attention and sent me to another support person.

I have also setup a dispute with PayPal to create another layer of protection. Once Mercari received my payment dispute I received an email from them threatening my account on Mercari. Below is the response from Mercari.

"The PayPal account associated with this Mercari account has recently initiated a payment dispute.

Moving forward, if you would like to have a transaction cancelled, refunded, or need to request a return, please contact us via the Help Center before reaching out to PayPal. In most cases, we are able to cancel the transaction or issue a refund faster if you contact us directly.

Please note that additional disputes filed through PayPal instead of Mercari could subject your account to suspension, review, and termination.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Team Mercari"

sarahg358
2/7/19

They're complete frauds and customer service is non-existent. I was sold a falsely advertised skirt. It was neither the brand nor even the size advertised. I immediately sent a detailed description and multiple pictures clearly showing the incorrect size (size large when it was adveryised as a size small), lack of brand (supposed to be Windsor), and very cheap construction (further inconsistent with the brand if they were to even argue that the tags had been cut out; no lining no store tags, the sizing tag is clearly not of the store, shedding sequins)They denied my request, ignored my additional appeals for help, and blocked me from contacting the seller. I posted a review several months later and was contacted by Mercari who after wasting much of my time...agreed to give me store credit that would expire in 30 days. When I said that was unacceptable they said I was abusive to their staff and that there would be no other offers. There is no customer support and the the "support" that exist are a complete farce. DO NOT USE MERCARI. If there's a class-action lawsuit against their unlawful asses, count me in!

rinah6
2/7/19

I purchased an item on January 30, 2019. Shipping label made, awaiting item. I can not find contact info for the seller or anyone within Mercari!

marko171
2/6/19

I purchased what was billed as a 'reparable' iPhone 5s. After the device was paid for and shipped, I diagnosed the device and discovered that the phone was water damaged and its components corroded beyond repair. The phone was, in fact, junk, non-reparable.

terryu9
2/6/19

Stay far,far away from theeis sham of a business! I purchased an item on January 26 and got notice of it shipping February 1. When there was no tracking available (usps said label was created but no product) I messaged the idiot that I bought from. Next day I received an email stating seller cancelled order because of problem with paypal payments. Wtf? 11 days,order confirmed and shipped on my page,no communication with idiot seller and then an email saying its cancelled. When I attempted to contact mercari......hahahahahahahaha .....on hold for 10 minutes only to be told too many calls on hold and goodbye. Wow.....both this seller and this business are horrible and I suggest to make your purchases aanywhere but here.

jimmyt56
2/5/19

I purchased a modem and it was never shipped even though Mercari said it was. After both myself and Mercari contacted the seller LeggoDaEggo there was no response from the seller and Mercari insisted my order was shipped and I received it. I live in Connecticut and they claimed I received it in Illinois so they paid the seller and told me my order was completed. After several emails and phone conversations with different team members I was given a supposedly credit on my account and a coupon for 25% off my next purchase. That never showed on my account. After many emails and phone calls I was able to get my money back but I will never use this company again. I also would stay clear of a seller known as LeggoDaEggo.

Tip for consumers: Stay clear of this site. They are totally incompetent almost to the point of fraudulent.

jennyl171
2/5/19

I sent an offer to a seller after asking a bunch of questions about their product. They accepted my offer, then canceled it immediately and relisted the item for $210 more. Don't even waste your time. This ap is a joke.

steffyr
2/4/19

This company did absolutely NOTHING to resolve the issue I had with a buyer... I had a rating on my account that was unfair and probably spam, and they refused to take it off - decreasing my overall rating. Their rating system is really effed up!

I would NOT recommend selling full time with Mercari... they just aren't fair towards sellers. Poshmark is much better in this area...

Deactivating all my listings tonight.

maryj694
2/2/19

Do not buy anything from this site. Trash quality stuff, no customer service existing, if you complain you will be blocked.

ninaw37
1/30/19

I brought an i Phone X from a what seemed to be a highly rated seller, i did my research on them like i usually do on these kind of websites and again the seller seemed reliable. $780 bucks was taken away from, the seller DELETED their account so I couldn't even report them and when i contacted Mercari the transaction, no one replied.

andrersonh
1/30/19

I bought this item from MERCARI it did not work i told MERCARI this i was told to see the SELLER said just send it back so i shipped it back gave MERCARI the tracking number then MERCARI Tell me that since they did no tell me to ship it that That i would just lose my money that i paid one hundred seventeen dollars, when MERCARI Is the one that told me to see if the seller would work it out the SELLER kept the item and my money i have nothing! then MERCARI Closed my account SO I Would not be able to say how they STOLE FROM ME 11

susanm907
1/28/19

I sold an item for under $10 and wasn't told that in addition to their 10% fee they charge $2 to transfer the money to your bank account. No one would help me and transfer it in the other ways paypal, credit card, mail a check or let me speak with a supervisor. Ebay does not do this. It is just a sleazy way to get more money from you. Stick with ebay and don't use this app.

Response from Mercari R., Mercari Representative
Hello Susan,

Please note that there is no direct deposit processing fee for requests $10 or over. We apologize for the lack of clarity with this fee and appreciate you taking the time to share your concern here.

Please feel free to reach out to the in-app Help Center or email contact@mercari.com with any questions or concerns. We'd be happy to hear from you.

Best Regards,
Team Mercari
michellep334
1/28/19

I have purchased around 100 items on Mercari and only had a few things needing returned. Mercari was great at helping with the returns and refunded my money immediately!

sarahr187
1/24/19

Sell with Poshmark or eBay instead. This company is FULL of thieves. Shipped an item, then they canceled the order. I was out my item and my profits. Despite contacting customer service multiple times - and being a good seller with over 100 reviews - they refused to help me. I'll never sell here again.

bernadettes32
1/23/19

I had no problems on this website buying or selling. I had one time I needed to return and so I did not hit the accept button, instead I filed for a return b/c the boots were defective and not as described, peeling faux leather material and the heels scuffed down to need of repair. I received a confirmation email and soon I was sent a return label, returned the boots and received a full refund. I sold things and had good experience, very nice buyers, and received my money form sales in the allotted time. I found nice buyers and sellers.

bests14
1/21/19

I tried selling on Mercari for about 4 months ago. I had great experience as a buyer and seller. I wish I had used this app much sooner! Easy to post, offer discounts to those who like, your products have a chance to be shown on similar items, you get alerts of new likes, clean and easy interface. Seeing suggested similar products helps me in pricing my items. You can actually see how many people have liked an item and offer discounts. Daily you may offer for up to ten items discounts, it's optional of course.

I put alerts for items I want to buy and get them. Very easy to transfer the money to my bank.

I sell on other apps as well: Poshmark is too slow to sell, too much energy wasted in promoting, last year I had one sale!
The other apps I sell are OfferUp, where you sell locally and you have the option to ship. The next one is Letgo and Close5 selling locally, slow as a snail, but I like to have local presence. I am On Depop, I don't really like that, not a single sale for the past six months I have been there.
Overall, my number one place to sell is Mercari. Sorry to read the bad experience others are having.
A note regarding Poshmark: I had a girlfriend sell jeans for someone, and she had very bad experience. The buyer didn't like that it was professionally shortened, so the angry buyer cuts from the seams and returns! In the description she always has all the measurements, why would anyone be angry and cut and return? Did it fit or not? So it's a problem if you have someone ruin your item and return it. Specially if you try to do a favor for a friend to sell their stuff!
Luckily I helped her in mending the jeans. Once I heard that, I took down my expensive items off Poshmark. Recently I became Poshmark Ambassador and I am getting a lot of followers (two weeks now) but it has yet to translate to sales... let's see how this year will be there.
In the meantime, I am concentrating my energy on Mercari.

Tip for consumers: I had the most success in selling at Mercari. I wish I had used this app few years ago, instead of wasting so much time and energy on Poshmark...

tc175
1/19/19

I had an account with mercari and deleted it. Later, I made a different account, and tried to tranfer money to my bank account. An error on the app told me another account had that bank info. That's impossible because I deleted the old account. Now they want me to provide extremely personal info such as social sercurity number. They are holding my money, and taking a very long to respond to my messages. I tried to type my ssn into the app, but it claimed that it was wrong despite myself directly looking at my ssn card and carefully typing in the numbers. I got tired of messaging Mercari, so i called. I was asking many questions on the phone because i wanted my money and they were giving run around answers. They don't seem to understand to harm of holding someone's hard earned money for no good reason. I never raised my voice, and used appropriate langued, yet 2 mimutes into the call, Mercari hung up. I called again and was basically told I cant call to solve my problem, I have to email. They are currently still holding my money and put restrictions on selling and buying on my account. DONT SELL ON MERCARI, unless you enjoy $#*!ty customer service, gitchy and error filled sytems

jasminek36
1/18/19

For $11 I got black distressed, cut-up Jeans in a size 3! I am not a size 3 and I don't wear black or jeans. They did arrive on time though. Hahaha The only way to contact the seller is a chat box. I am seriously disappointed. I wanted my cute floral pants. Bummer. Maybe I'll get a reply someday???

marthat54
1/16/19

I bought from them 2x Panasonic Lumix camera, in october 2018 and jan.2019-Delivery was without problems-free shipping, and item without defect.Also phone call service to them was answered with courtesy and desire to help.I strongly recommend them to all who hesitate to deal with them

sarahj360
1/9/19

So I been using Mercari for about two months+ I've sold about 20 items and bought 3. I have not had any issues at all, each and every transaction been smooth and simple.
If you want to join Mercari I HIGHLY advice you read the rules carefully. I was surprised to see how bad the reviews are for this app, but reading them I can tell people don't read the rules carefully and expect a lot from Mercari when something doesn't go correctly. SO you are putting yourself at risk by proving your address for shipping labels and bank account to receive the funds. YOU have to know what you are getting yourself into when you start selling or buying.
When someone buys an item you are selling- you ( the seller ) have three days to ship the item- which I believe is too long. When the item is delivered to the buyer THEY have three full days to accept they have received the item, rate the item, and then you the seller have to rate the buyer, THEN you get paid. I think that process is SO annoying because I have had 4 people not rate me so I have to wait three days for the system to automatically provide the funds to me. I think its so incredibly rude that people wouldn't rate the seller. So with that being said, people write these horrible reviews who don't read the rules then trash the app because something went wrong.
Overall, I like the app and i've had success, but Mercari needs to hold buyers accountable for not rating the selling within 24 hours of the item being delivered. If Mercari wants to have fasters transactions and quicker turn around with products being bought and sold they need to hold buyers and sellers accountable for shipping faster and accepting delivery faster.

amys307
1/9/19

I purchased a smart watch on Mercari. I learned my lesson. I had asked the buyer what the model number was & if it was up to date. I get told yes. I receive it and see that it was made in 2011 & not capable of syncing with my Google Pixel. I contacted Google support & if the watch was the newest version in (which is what I was told) then it would have worked. Or if the seller ever did an update. I contact Mercari & get told that I had to ask for a refund. I end up going back and forth with the seller because 'they do not do refunds.' All the selling apps have hard to reach customer service but Mercari does nothing. They make you do the work. Ideally, if a person sell a non-functioning item, the buyer should not be forced to hollar or be out money.

lailat1
1/7/19

I just joined today. I thought it was so easy to list items - only takes 2 minutes. I listed about 10 items in no time. That was a great first impression.

But then, almost immediately after listing my items, I received notifications: Warning - Prohibited Conduct.

I was "warned" that my photos were stock. There absolutely are not. I took these photos and thereby own the copyright. I showed imperfections in a Celine bag I listed - how is that a stock photo?

Then, I couldn't wait to get a live person online to state my case. I called 888-325-2168 and went through the prompts only to get a voicemail, so I left one with my return contact and the item ID#.

I don't like doing business with anyone that goes to great lengths to avoid contact. This is a business relationship. When I registered, the system had me verify my number, but I had to Google Mercari to get its number. And it's impossible to chat/email/correspond with this company online.

There's a reason this site's reviews are in the toilet. Eww - stay away!

Response from Mercari R., Mercari Representative
Hi Laila,

It seems like your listings are being targeted by our systems for containing stock photos. I apologize for the inconvenience if this is not the case, but I can definitely make some recommendations that might help.

First, I would include more natural looking backgrounds for your item. Secondly, I might try to take those photos that notify others that you are currently in possession of the item. Lastly, I would include as many photos as possible for each listing.

Rest assured you can always reach our Support Team via email at contact@mercari.com, Twitter, or Facebook if you're having difficulties doing so by phone or in-app. We'd be more than happy to take a second look at your account and sort things out.

Best Regards,
Team Mercari
1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Hi Richard, Many factors affect how quickly an item will sell; inventory, seasonality, competition, price, and so forth. Some items sell in minutes, some take a bit longer. Here are some of our seller tips: https://www.mercari.com/help_center/category/2/

By Mercari R., Mercari Representative

File a claim with the mail carrier .. you will be refunded

By Natasha J.

By Naomi K.

Hi there, When you purchase an item on Mercari, we hold payment to your seller until you confirm you've received your order and it is as described in the listing. You just need to rate your seller in order for payment to be released. If you don't submit a seller Rating within 3 days of receipt of the item, or if we can confirm delivery through the items tracking information, well assume the transaction was successful and release payment to your seller. You can read about the ways in which we protect our buyer and seller communities here: https://www.mercari.com/help_center/

By Mercari R., Mercari Representative

Hi Cody, When you purchase an item on Mercari, we hold payment to your seller until you confirm youve received your order and it is as described in the listing. You just need to rate your seller in order for payment to be released. If you dont submit a seller Rating within 3 days of receipt of the item, or if we can confirm delivery through the items tracking information, well assume the transaction was successful and release payment to your seller. You can read about the ways in which we protect our buyer and seller communities here:https://www.mercari.com/help_center/

By Mercari R., Mercari Representative

NO! Look around the web, I clocked up over 10,000 people RIpped OFF! There are petitions, BBB, and sites like this by the pages against them with accounts frozen with money in them. Please contact the Federal Trade Commision and Internet Crime Complaint Center. (IC3). It is illegal to keep anyones money! The IRS would like to know where all this money is also? Whos paying taxes on it? FTC will get your money! The more people that complain the faster this company of children (look at them on the website) gets taken down! The faster we all get paid!

By Naomi K.

I'm talking to customer service right now, I bought a phone $326 and last Saturday I got "the box" with no phone inside! And now thinking about it it was weird that the seller wanted me to rate the transaction the day I pay with out a tracking number :(

By Claudia M.

A seller has 3 days to ship your order out to you. After 3 days, the buyer can cancel the order and have their money refunded. It may take a day or two for the money to show up in your account, depending on the response time of the seller. Here is what happened to me: I purchased an item for 117.00 but after 3 days, the seller still had not shipped the item. I request to cancel the order. The seller agreed to cancel. He was having trouble shipping the item. It was a guitar. Well, a day later, the money was back in my account. No worries at all!

By Nicholas Y.

Good question. Poshmark charges a ridiculous $6.99 shipping fee for everything, regardless of weight. Only thing is, you cannot mail anything for less than $2.66 but I see your point

By Layla F.
Questions? Get answers from the Mercari staff and other customers.

Mercari?