Review of Mercari

San Francisco, CA, US
contact@mercari.com

daf1
7/17/19

My account has been closed without any notifications! Just received that it's closed. No customer service, only robotics duplicated answers, never provided the reasons and listings which were wrong. Moreover, to deposit my funds I need to take verification again. It's ridiculous, I made it already, one month ago.

Please, don't sell there. Looks like competitors report your items for no reason, just to rid you of. Mercari doesn't investigate, notifies you! No customer service at all. Scammer app!

terril164
7/13/19

Sellers beware!! They will side with uncanny buyers all the time. Sold an Brand New Item, Buyer filed a return 3 days later and what I got back was a different item that was completely shredded. They will only accept pictures from the buyer and not from the seller. I was scammed from a buyer with no history and nothing could be done about it.

STAY AWAY FROM MERCARI IF YOU ARE SELLER!!!! SCAM!!!

melaniec141
7/13/19

BIG SCAMM , I GOT SCREW W/$1700. ANS CUSTOMER NOT ANSWER THE PHONE, I DON'T THINK THAT IS ANYBODY WORKING IN C.S. I DID CALL LIKE 100 TIMES NO ANSWERS .

kellis89
7/12/19

Horrible - scam site. They will keep your money. They care nothing about the seller or buyer - no way to talk with a real person. Wish I could leave zero stars. Please save yourself and shop anywhere else.

melissad405
7/11/19

I'm sticking with eBay ! You are not protected as a seller on this site! Two buyers were nothing but thieves and Mercari sided with them. Sell where you are protected not here!

annaw214
7/11/19

well it is day 4 no response from

well it is day 4 no response from emails yesterday or today, no answer on the phone today, it keeps hanging up after about 5 minutes. I had talked to someone on Monday about my issue the product i purchased has 2 boxes and only one was sent. I have been asking for a return label since it weighs 50 lbs and NOTHING. Customer keeps promising to send the second box since Tuesday and said they are sending out today. I don't see any help in sight other. good thing I contacted paypal to dispute the issue on Monday! Going to have fedex pick up the box Saturday and I'm done with this bs company.

ashleyk157
7/6/19

They are a joke. Sellers beware.

I'm a reseller of luxury items. Mainly lv. They sided with a buyer letting them return because they said it is fake. Biting my nails, praying, I don't get a fake returned to me.

staceyf72
7/6/19

I made one purchase here never received anything and when I went to their "help center " it said to wait a few more days and I did wait when I contacted the seller he said the tracking said it was delivered nothing he could do contact the company and they said the same thing The company claims to guarantee a big scam I wish I checked out reviews first

jenniferl592
7/6/19

Mercari does not care about their sellers. They just want your money. Their customer service responds to your issues with scripted responses, and they do not solve your problems. They let buyers return their items for reasons that aren't legitimate, such as not liking the color, and the seller eats the original shipping cost. They also will not remove any untrue, unfair reviews. It's an all around terrible website.

josepht278
6/30/19

Marcari was unable to solve My problem from head office to local team members who are not well trained to deal complicated issues. Very poorly handled the issue.
But thank to trustplots.com my voice was heard from mad Bussiness practices . Am in the process of persuading small claim court against both party. Marcari acting irresponsibly by awarding buyer with my goods. I just checked the goods serials numbers and they are currently activated.
All I asked from Marcari since buyer received the wrong order , to please return those items back to sender. Easy as is!!! Instead Marcari who advertised guaranteed financial safety between buyers and sellers in my case it is false and betrayal. Sprint is billing my business over $2000.00 because they didn't receive returned ordered. Marcari I believe didn't get a 10% fees took all on me and rewarded the buyer with someone else's goods.
When I was referred to Local team members, they are confused about the whole argument stating that they can't pay me for item that can't be used. Did I asked for money or payment? No !!! All I want for the item to be returned sender as usual period!!! But Marcari team members are confused. Here is how Marcari site normally works :
A seller list an item on Marcari site then buyer click and buy it , then funds are withhold with Marcari until item deliver and buyer is satisfied then funds are released to seller. If buyer unhappy with item for any reason and buyer decided to return item, upon buyer request Marcari still withhold funds until buyer returned items to seller then refund is released to buyer. Pretty as it sounds like, in my case buyer was rewarded with my goods and refunded. I lost Marcari site not safe!!!

robynw63
6/28/19

I was with ebay for over 10 years.. I decided on a whim to try macari it was the biggest mistake I ever made they are the most unethical jerks that I have ever done business with... I was scammed on a purchase that I made and they stuck with the seller ... I am still waiting for my return FedEx sticker that they said had already been approved... they do not care about their members.. I am selling everything I can possibly put on there up until I receive my label to return this scam purchase.. They have no pride in a job well done and it becomes so very obvious when having to do business with them.. They are intentionally holding back my label as it is very easy for even a dumbass like macari to see what is going on.. which is why the return has already been approved... go with any other company just don't go with this one, I promise you, you will be very sorry and lose money if you do.. I purchased a piece of China from a buyer who then sent another piece, unlike the piece I purchased in it's place.. it had been my second time doing business with this seller, I noticed no problem the first time communicating with her as she spoke perfect English... after she scammed me and got caught all of her messages were unreadable like someone who was trying to write English or speak it but didn't know how.. what a joke.. it would take an idiot only one minute to check and see what I purchased and what she sent me yet I am still awaiting my label for return I'm assuming they get a real kick out of causing problems for other people ...they have not answered my last message in over 12 hours. Or made any attempt to send me my return label.. I have made my friends and family aware of their Shady practices and they to agree that it is a very underhanded company ...please...!!! save yourself don't do business with them... there are many other reputable places that you can hook up with ...this one is concerned only with themself not their members... Terrable shady people no pride in their work...put them out of business...

maryr558
6/28/19

Beware of customers wanting something at a cheaper price after it has been marked sold on the website.
First time to use the site my item still had the store tags in place.
The buyer wanted me to put the cash difference in the box with the item.
I did not do this so she wanted to return the item with the excuse it smelled like moth balls. I accepted the return but have not received yet. If your merchandise is on the higher end in quality I would use a different site. Mercari is not worth the hassle.
I will no longer use this site .

judyr168
6/27/19

I ordered a set of dishes and feel I was probably scammed from both the mercari sire and possibly the seller as well (called "this and that"). Was delivered a damaged set of Corelli dish ware when it was described as like new. Seller and I agreed to a partial refund. Since I was brand new to 5his site I had no ide you only had three days to rate, return , refund. The site/ app is horrible to get around in, extremely poor customer service. While I was waiting for my refund the sale was closed. The contact number only available if you google the company. Not on the app. When sale is closed , it's closed . You cannot contact the seller directly. All returns go thru the mercari company and as I said they are scammers and have just horrible customer service. If you don't mind being cheated out of your money than this site is for you. I'm going back to eBay and will never use this site again. Buyers beware this site is all scam. I wished I had looked at the reviews first as I would never ever have purchased thru them...

lisas1097
6/25/19

The sellers advertise one thing and send another, you cannot refund if you have already gave a review. You can never get in contact with customer service and this site sucks! Stick with amazon and eBay.

michaeld1248
6/24/19

bought an item while on vacation, came home after your pathetic 3 day return window and now you wont even give me the option to return my item that doesnt work on the year model stroller that it says it does. your site is crap!!!

karic43
6/20/19

Claimed they got a notice from the company that owns Elf On The Shelf Dolls claiming I was a fraud. I sent in 3 receipts showing that they were authentic and then they replied 13 days later and said buying off Amazon didn't mean they were real. Problem was, I never sent in an Amazon receipt. The idiots never even looked at the receipts and are lazy scammers. Their help center is a joke and when I said I wanted my account reviewed, they told me if I listed another LEGITIMATE ELF ON THE SHELF DOLL, they would ban me for life. They are the laziest people and do nothing to help legitimate sellers. I had a friend list my Elf On The Shelf Dolls with all the same info and they've remained up on her page for 3 weeks without one warning or "possible ban" from Mercari. They also upcharge on their shipping rates, as I went to USPS and Fedex and confirmed that their rates didn't go up as much as Mercari stated. You can only reach them after 1pm from the USA bc they are based in China. They know the US Courts can't do anything to them, so they just continue to threaten their Sellers and steal the money that should be going in our pockets. Buyers can complain all they want, but I'm honest to a fault, and I've been majorly screwed over by other Sellers who will leave poor reviews to threaten your rating. Mercari is a complete SCAM. SELLERS AND BUYERS SHOULD BEWARE!

zh11
6/18/19

I tried to purchase Maclaren Twin stroller on Mercari from user "wally27". I negotiated the price and the seller confirmed the purchase. The seller shipped my order but canceled it within one day because "barcode does not scan". The seller also blocked my account so I cannot buy or message him. But the stroller was still available for purchase. So I used my husband account to try to buy it, this time for full price. The seller canceled the second order within few minutes and blocked my other account too. I am already talking to Mercari to cancel the "wally27" account and any other accounts associated with this person*home address.

Response from Mercari R., Mercari Representative
We apologize for this experience and can imagine your frustration - as every item on the app should be on-hand and available at the time a listing is created. Because Mercari is unable to guarantee a seller will ship a purchased item, we allow them to cancel transactions if they have troubles sending it off (so buyers can be reimbursed as quickly as possible). Sometimes this also means that sellers aren't completely honest in their reasons, but we do watch and penalize accounts should they have a large number of unwarranted cancellations. We appreciate your feedback, and look forward to hearing from you via the in-app Help Center or email support address.

chanelj1
6/17/19

As a seller, its not a good platform. They constantly remove items due to categories, the moderators remove items that are authentic and if you go against them, they ban you. I had about 4 different accounts to sell and eventually went to PM full time. As a buyer, I bought only stickers since that's all I trusted to buy lol

kellys479
6/14/19

I ordered a game system that did not come with the games posted in the ad. You n notifying the seller, she said she would repost the game so I could purchase it. Wait.. what? She just did a bait and switch on me and now she will get payed again for a game that I already paid for. Also, I waited so long for her to ship it. I ordered a game from another seller and received it in two days.

I do not like how we are forced to review an item in three days or they automatically give the seller 5 stars. I rated this seller at 2 stars which was me being nice.

After she saw my rating she started sending me threatening messages. All you have to do is send the buyer what is in your post. It is pretty cut and dried.

As a seller, I sold 5 items with no issues and no complaints. Had the money in my bank account the day after the buyer rated the transaction.

I have since deleted the app and will not be using it again.

angelak198
6/10/19

I've made countless sales, and not 1 issue.
I get paid, and buyers have 3 days to dispute anything after delivery.
As a buyer I have come across a very big issue having sellers ship Items. They are supposed to have 3 days to ship it. If they don't a buyer is to get the option of canceling the order. However, sellers mark. Items shipped (when they haven't), at which point Mercari gives 7 days from the sell date for the item to arrive, before issuing a refund. I currently have been waiting 8 days, a couple days ago I contacted them and they told me to wait until today, at which point, if it's not arrived or started tracking they would cancel. I contacted them and a different rep told me to wait until tomorrow. They keep putting me off because they "take the seller at their word" they shipped it. What about my $ and my value? Extending the date when for no reason?
First 3 photos from first correspondence. following are from today.

lonr16
6/8/19

it was my first time purchasing on their site, made two purchases soon as I paid for the 1st one the seller inboxed me stating they made a mistake listing the item and it had sold awhile back?? wth seller stopped responding and I never received my item. the next seller never even tried to ship the item. I was suspended after doing a charge back. sellers are still up and selling. this has to be the worst platform for buying and selling please stay away.

Response from Mercari R., Mercari Representative
Please reach out to our in-app Help Center or email support address at contact@mercari.com and we'll be happy to sort out this transaction issue with you directly. Rest assured that we'll be able to cancel the transaction and reimburse you for your payment in the case your item never was shipped by your seller. Thanks for your cooperation and we look forward to hearing from you!

tommyr35
6/8/19
• Updated review

It's hit OR miss on an extreme scale with this app.
The tech support is kind-of okay after having to research HOW to use it.
Buyers & Sellers HOWEVER...that's an integrity issue of the individual...yet Mercari should protect merchants from the types that sell junk (hurts the marketplace) as operational & buyers that constantly cancel...or low-ball offer (hurts the marketplace).
Mercari doesn't only charge 10% for completed sales as they claim, though...you'll get hammered by their S&H system in overcharges.

My first ever complete purchase was glowing because of a great seller nonetheless.

STILL ***(3) overall

Response from Mercari R., Mercari Representative
Thank you for the updated review and we appreciate your bringing these issues closer to our attention. Regarding the community, we're working hard to improve reliability and safety of those members both buying and selling on the marketplace through a number of programs, features, and data. Additionally, although we try to keep our shipping rates as low as possible, we might recommend choosing the Ship on Your Own option if you can find a better shipping rate with your carrier. We hear your concerns and will take careful note of them as we continue to improve the marketplace.

“Mercari...UTTERLY USELESS thieves!”
4/22/19
• Previous review

I've sold a whopping 2 items, I can't get the money I've "made", my items are mailed out...so I now have no money for items I sold.
To make matters WORSE, they make it so sellers cannot track, update OR complete transactions in favor of the payment received for goods "sold".

Basically, a buyer buys at inflated sale prices where MERCARI collects money for overcharged to the seller, overpayed shipping to the buyer & the seller STILL receives NO monetary compensation for services rendered.

This "business" has to be run by progressive liberal socialists...PROOF FOR THE OFFENSIVELY OFFENDED???
The merchant makes NO MONEY.

ITEM:

NHL Santa Official Figure https://item.mercari.com/gl/m13863853859/

I have a whopping $5.80 balance I cannot use at all.
Do this to 10,000 users & they've taken over $58,000 (not to mention the hundreds of thousands of dollars "lost" in shipping "fees").

It's a racket.
BEWARE!

stephaniel250
6/7/19

I have been waiting on a side table for 3 momths. 3 months. Yhey take your money and offer no help. DO NOT TRIST THEM. THEY ARE A COMPLETE FRAUD. Is 0 a rating. That's what I would give it.

jenniferm1137
6/4/19

This site is complete bull$#*!! They are a fraud and a scam! Their customer service is complete $#*! and they will do everything to screw you over! Go anywhere else, buy and sell locally is need be, but this site is TRASH

sharona357
6/3/19

Don't expect HELP from the Help Center. After literally spending $6-7k over the last 3 months,I was accused of being a liar over two missing packages totaling $16 and $12. Very poor customer support.

Response from Mercari R., Mercari Representative
We're sorry for the poor experiences you've had with our support team, Sharon. If we can give any specific transactions a closer look, please don't hesitate to reach out to our email address at contact@mercari.com for direct follow-up. We look forward to hearing from you!

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Hi Richard, Many factors affect how quickly an item will sell; inventory, seasonality, competition, price, and so forth. Some items sell in minutes, some take a bit longer. Here are some of our seller tips: https://www.mercari.com/help_center/category/2/

By Mercari R., Mercari Representative

File a claim with the mail carrier .. you will be refunded

By Natasha J.

By Naomi K.

Hi there, When you purchase an item on Mercari, we hold payment to your seller until you confirm you've received your order and it is as described in the listing. You just need to rate your seller in order for payment to be released. If you don't submit a seller Rating within 3 days of receipt of the item, or if we can confirm delivery through the items tracking information, well assume the transaction was successful and release payment to your seller. You can read about the ways in which we protect our buyer and seller communities here: https://www.mercari.com/help_center/

By Mercari R., Mercari Representative

Hi Cody, When you purchase an item on Mercari, we hold payment to your seller until you confirm youve received your order and it is as described in the listing. You just need to rate your seller in order for payment to be released. If you dont submit a seller Rating within 3 days of receipt of the item, or if we can confirm delivery through the items tracking information, well assume the transaction was successful and release payment to your seller. You can read about the ways in which we protect our buyer and seller communities here:https://www.mercari.com/help_center/

By Mercari R., Mercari Representative

NO! Look around the web, I clocked up over 10,000 people RIpped OFF! There are petitions, BBB, and sites like this by the pages against them with accounts frozen with money in them. Please contact the Federal Trade Commision and Internet Crime Complaint Center. (IC3). It is illegal to keep anyones money! The IRS would like to know where all this money is also? Whos paying taxes on it? FTC will get your money! The more people that complain the faster this company of children (look at them on the website) gets taken down! The faster we all get paid!

By Naomi K.

I got mine back after a week and a half but they banned me for life from using their website.

By Yuliya N.

I'm talking to customer service right now, I bought a phone $326 and last Saturday I got "the box" with no phone inside! And now thinking about it it was weird that the seller wanted me to rate the transaction the day I pay with out a tracking number :(

By Claudia M.

A seller has 3 days to ship your order out to you. After 3 days, the buyer can cancel the order and have their money refunded. It may take a day or two for the money to show up in your account, depending on the response time of the seller. Here is what happened to me: I purchased an item for 117.00 but after 3 days, the seller still had not shipped the item. I request to cancel the order. The seller agreed to cancel. He was having trouble shipping the item. It was a guitar. Well, a day later, the money was back in my account. No worries at all!

By Nicholas Y.
Questions? Get answers from the Mercari staff and other customers.