Malwarebytes

Malwarebytes has a consumer rating of 2.37 stars from 99 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Malwarebytes also ranks 26th among Antivirus Software sites. The most common issues with Malwarebytes are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

• It is not an anti-virus program and does not provide real time protection.

• Your product isn't bad, your customer support and lack of business ethics are the problem.
  • Customer service does not know anything about the product.
How would you rate Malwarebytes?

“Malwarebytes made me happy, Great support after...”

R P.
3/18/19

So after a few emails from support (support@malwarebytes.com) I got this straightened out and I gave them the pft duh advice of putting support email on website for free. They thanked me, gave me a free year of MB and I got it all up and going again. All looks good now.

“No Honor Among Thieves”

Richard D.
2/15/18

ATTN: Kevin Goodwin Director, Malwarebytes Consumer Support This is the first, of many, posts to online forums where I will share my dismal experience with Malwarebytes. This will continue unless and until you honor your promise. Period. You have a lot of pissed off customers. I am now one of them unless you correct this problem. It is beyond me why any organization today would risk their well-being with such poor service. Your product isn't bad, your customer support and lack of business ethics are the problem. Should I keep posting? There are also other remedies available should you choose to ignore me hoping I'll go away. Your move. ============================================================================== Posted February 13, 2018 Where do I begin. As soon as I purchased a subscription, I started having problems with Real-Time Protection. I emailed, repeatedly, to no avail. At the time, you were able to call their support line, but only received voicemail, which they never monitored. Now they don't even offer phone support. I guess that tells you something about their claim to provide quality customer support. I eventually was able to solve the problem - on my own - and then, magically, "Andy" with Malwarebytes contacted me to see about resolving the problem. I informed him I was able to resolve the issue, and he promised, in writing, to extend my license period for the amount of time I experienced problems, plus another six (6) months. This was last June 2017. Now I am getting daily popups notifying me that my license expires (now in 11 days). I reached out to Malwarebytes including all of the previous emails so they could see the history of the problem, and that I was not simply attempting to get something for nothing. The only reply was from "Jeremy" who provided a list of "fixes" for the real-time protection problem. I replied and said the problem had been resolved, and that the primary issue was the license extension. No response. I have sent several emails asking for a reply, and also addressed one to Kevin Goodwin, Director, Malwarebytes Customer Support. The response? Nothing. Nada. I even asked in my emails if they cared about their reputation since they seemed to have a problem providing customer support. Still. Crickets. It is absolutelty pitiful they way they run their business. Anyone thinking about subscribing to their service; don't. Not unless you do not require any support. Bottom line: good news travels. Bad news travels fast. I will share this story with anyone who cares to listen.

customer support (3) time protection (7) customer service (5) credit card (5) tech support (3) emails (4) premium version (4) program (30)
cliffh51
December 29th, 2019
Horrible product. Constantly sends me on-screen reminders to install the latest version - every day all day. At first I tried to install the "latest" version but it still reminds me every day of another "newest" version. I even tried to check the box for automatic updates. I have notifications turned off and still constant interruptions to my day. Then it is almost impossible to find someone to contact about this issue. Took me 10 minutes searching just to find a form which probably will not be read by anyone. I dont have time for this.
stephenh621
January 9th, 2020
I bought this stupid product. Could not sign in or register the KEY. Certainly not a friendly product. Wasted over an hour of my time.
marya940
June 7th, 2019
Problem is deactivate to program after i formatted my pc windows 10 now I can not activate the program. customer support is suck .i am looking for alternative program,DO NON WASTE YOUR MONEY , THEY ARE DIFFERENT NOW THEY CHANGED THEIR POLICY
pablom67
October 21st, 2019
I have been a paid user for the last 2 years and it is definitely worth it. It has detected and blocked so many spyware/virus sites. I'm just glad I got it.
rp189
March 18th, 2019
• Updated review
So after a few emails from support (*******@malwarebytes.com) I got this straightened out and I gave them the pft duh advice of putting support email on website for free. They thanked me, gave me a free year of MB and I got it all up and going again. All looks good now.
Malwarebytes has no support. Period
February 27th, 2019
• Previous review
Just paid another year but messed up email and now im screwed. No support number or email means i just wasted my money. I will never get this $#*! product again
robertl324
1,208 helpful votes
February 26th, 2018
I actually kno little about the dot org one except it's in Canada, and Malwarebytes.com is in California. The later is the one I know and like, but this one has terrible reviews, and yet I see some of the same ones it Both Places!

That's the main reason for this review; to clue people that these two separate companies are being confused...And yes .COM has no phone customer service, but thru email I got fast and good service, while this .ORG one does, and from the reviews is useless.

Obviously they are Not the same, so check out Malwarebytes . COM, the one in California.
crystalm145
October 27th, 2018
Ever since I have downloaded this app, I have been receiving scam phone calls with a pop-up that says "Malwarebytes stopped working"
georgef176
November 11th, 2018
It used to be amazing when it was on V2. Now it interferes too much. It locks you out of harmless websites for no reason and throws annoying pop-ups that also interfere whenever you're gaming or working.
rayn53
August 25th, 2018
Purchased Malwarebytes in May. It stopped working in July. Sent email telling them this: nothing - tried again - they tell me they have no record of my payment. I sent them the paypal screenshot - still nothing. Avoid.
seijaq
January 30th, 2018
After one year, they will auto charge you again without any asking. When I bought a year service, I did not sign on anything that I want to continue the auto charge, neither they were clear about it when you hit to buy one year service. They denied returning the money, even I stopped using their service after the first year.
nanm6
January 28th, 2018
Wrangled with "Stew" over cancelling automatic renew.
Claimed he couldn't find my account.
Wanted the license number and key.
I deleted it and the program long ago.
The website as NO WAY to contact a real person.
EMAIL : *******@malwarebytes.com
It was a shot in the dark that paid off.
I reminded "Stew" I now had email evidence for my credit card company to cancel all future transaction attempts.
Suddenly he found my account.
Cancelled everything per my request.
Stay FAR away from this company.
ericf81
January 16th, 2018
I purchased Malwarebytes Premium about 7 months ago. Lately, I keep getting a pop-up window every few minutes alerting me that Real Time Web Protection is turned off. However, I am unable to turn it back on !! Now my computer has been compromised by a virus and will cost me about $250 to rectify ! Of course, Malwarebytes does not have a telephone number for help. Hey, Malwarebytes: BYTE ME !!
laurencew15
February 4th, 2018
What a piece of junk stop my computer this weekend only found out through searching my programs. Apparently there was an error issued Jan 27 that ram was being eaten up by the program it killed my PC. Found this ;
Yah you dim- a- holes could have done an update or email to warn people about this problem , Then you shut down any conversation regarding it . COVER-UP..
paulp190
January 27th, 2018
They really need to up their game. Recent update borked all machines for all users. Not Recommended.
gregoryb67
February 10th, 2018
when i tried to complain about many different problems i was referred to con artists that didnt speak english and tried to charge me 300.00 to fix the problem..hosebags
donnad133
January 10th, 2018
Like many users I have the problem of "RealTime protection turning off.
I have jumped through all the hoops that tech has asked me to. I want a refund
colino9
January 25th, 2018
they keep on telling be to upgrade when i cleary say no it is just horrible

found this from an ad and it is false advertising
patriciao46
December 25th, 2017
The thing about this program is that it will tell you there are no viruses when you can clearly see there are. Then they ask you to upgrade....to what? To paying them for it not work most of the time and be asked to upgrade again and pay more? Either your program works or it doesn't.
johnc915
January 27th, 2018
Using Windows 7. Causes a memory loop that uses 93% of my memory after the computer has been on for about 15 minutes(starts at 2 gig and goes to over 7 gig). After removing Malwarebytes my computer was back to normal.
callistam
January 20th, 2018
Yes I lost my account to real time protection turning off. There see no reason to help me. I have a free program from another vendor. Gave $ yesterday for another malware account worked yesterday it is tuned off today. No way to bring this to their attention.
toms393
December 24th, 2017
Malwarebytes falsely identified five files as "Generic/Suspicious." I am unable to restore the files from the quarantine.

Tip for consumers: Do not use Malwarebytes, it falsely identifies files as suspicious. I was on a trial of the full version, which does not allow restore from quarantine. So the program effectively deleted the files irreparably.

charlesd138
October 26th, 2017
No customers service. No 1-800 number a human to talk with. If you have an issue they do nothing. The product sucks and really conflicted with other programs on my computer. I have to remove it from my computer 2 weeks after purchasing it. Also 1 year later they automatically bill your credit card for a 2nd year then they fight you when you ask for your money back. A very terrible company and product! Charles
michaela60
November 26th, 2017
I had it for almost 9 month.Last week I got malware that ruined my pc (blue screen),
while my premium malwarebyte was running.I do not recommend it.

Michael
leanettet
October 12th, 2017
Downloaded this mainly to remove the bs comet.yahoo extension malware. Absolute joke. Sure it scans, the same as any other "malware" software, but basically ends there. Only allowing a quarantine of alleged infections or warning, but won't activate the actual Web protection until actual purchase. Sorry, but I'm not forking over $40 for a scape ghost scan/protection "sampler". Show me that it actually works, and THEN maybe I'll purchase.
stuarth36
August 24th, 2017
Having just got a MacBook Pro I was keen to prevent any issues so I had two options in mind for Malware/Adware detection and prevention plus if the software provided further protection that's a bonus. The options were Malwarebytes (£29.99 for a licence) and Sophos for Mac home (free). I have used Sophos in the past so this was a strong contender. I had a question regarding Malwarebytes so enquired via their online service and I was told to use different contact information, fair enough but in the meantime I decided to try the Sophos product for now as a complete solution.

As I wrote in my review, the freeware version deleted an important file from my PaintShop Pro program. My worry about downloading and using Malwarebytes is that it might inadvertently remove a file critical to my operating system.

By William S.
See more answers (4)

If you get an email eluding to something you've done on your computer, then YES. If you have Windows, go to task manager, go to the Processes tab and read every line. Look for a suspicious process (unsigned) running on your computer. Google Search anything you don't understand, or are unfamiliar with.

By Nan M.

MalwareBytes is installing Windows 10 files in to incompatible Systems. If you HAVE Windows 10, and still get hosed, please let me know. Thanks. Nan

By Nan M.

RE: my previous question. i checked again and my Malwarebytes Premium 3.0 states on the icon "Its disabled.".....

By Suzanne S.

Download=Malwarebytes anti-rootkit remover and run it once it clears the infection install=Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit -powerlinks infection is a powerful trojan not easy to remove.

By duncan l.

I had all the similar problems as you 2 years ago, the company was going through a complete change over, don't drop this company as they are the tops in the country for what they do, I can send you the company Techs e-mails to me that walked me through the very same problems and she fixed it, yea, I know, been to the "India" thing too, you don't need to go there trust me on that one, stay clear of that. if you want that fix, here's my e-mail address and give me yours plus your exact problem and I'll send you the very same e-mails I got that got me all squared away, I've had no problems for 2 years now. my e-mail is tonydeleano@cox.net I'll see if I can help you.

By tony d.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Malwarebytes staff and other customers.

Malwarebytes protects you against malware, ransomware, and other advanced online threats that have made antivirus obsolete and ineffective.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Malwarebytes?

Have a question about Malwarebytes?