Review of MadisonSeating

Tel: 888-704-3435
service@madisonseating.com

philipo8
5/7/17

The guarantee says you can return an item for a full refund if not completely satisfied which they did when they sent me a defective chair (they sell used, demo chairs, reconditioned chairs). HOWEVER then they back ball you from all future purchases. Here is there email back to me after they confirmed a new order I placed and paid for.

Our records indicate you purchased and then insisted on returning item(s) stating the chairs were incorrect. The product came back exactly as what was advertised and we lost on shipping charges for the return.

We prefer not to fulfill any future orders with you as you seem to have an issue with our products and services.

Madisonseating.com

Stay far far away from this retailer they send you defective items and want you to keep it even though its defective. Buy from a authorized dealer that stands behind the product. If you don't believe me read all the other complaints.

Response from madison s., MadisonSeating Representative
It is interesting to note that the consumer came back to us to place new orders. If our product and services were as bad as his review states, why is the customer insisting on placing new orders with our company?
Readers..you decide on this one.
mn69
4/29/17

Received my Aeron chair on time and delivered as instructed.

Had two (2) little scuffs on the frame - not a big deal, as this was Open Box - don't think anyone else would notice.

Great value

Installation was a breeze, as Customer Service advised.

Love the Sapphire Blue color.

Couldn't be more pleased. Just wish I had bought my first Aeron chair from them!

Tip for consumers: Chair is heavy. We took it out of the box on the porch and carried it in that way. Then assembled and put in place

jeremym80
4/20/17

I've been in the contract office furniture for 15+ years. I have purchased from Madison Seating many times. My last purchase was for 25 or so Aeron Chairs. The casters on the chairs destroyed my clients carpet. I can't exactly say what the problem is other than the caster material seemed to be crumbling away and it was leaving black marks. Over the course of a month the carpet had a dark black ring where the users were sitting. I called Madison Seating to see what the issue is and they simply responded saying, "you should buy upgraded casters". I called them to clarify what flooring the standard casters are used for and they just couldn't answer. I called Herman Miller and was told that the standard casters on the Aeron Chairs are indeed meant for Carpet. With this new information i wanted to place a warranty claim. The people at Madison Seating were rude, spoke to me with raised voices, and we're disrespectful. The Madison Seating 10 year warranty is not what one would expect. The consumer has to ship the chair BACK to Madison Seating and they will fix it and apparently the consumer also has to pay for parts. Shipping cost are at the consumers expense. As a courtesy they said they would ship me the casters but i would still have to pay for them. So i'm not too happy....casters are falling apart, clearly a warranty claim, and i have to pay for new parts.

My experience with Madison Seating was not great so i went on a review site and gave them a negative review. No biggie, it happens. But this is where the story gets good. No sooner did i click on the submit button i get an email from Madison Seating stating the following,

Based on your recent review we will no longer be offering you the courtesy option of sending you parts. Please send the entire chair to the following address for repair service.

I sent them an email back telling them that they should stand behind their products and the furniture dealers that support them (buy from them). They got me upset so i went to another review site and put in another bad review.

I was then sent another email from Madison Seating with the following,

This email is to notify you that we too, will be reporting you to other online merchant services regarding the circumstances surrounding your order. In this way, other online retailers will decide if they want to fulfill your future online requests based on our experience with you.

Some of these online retailers will be emailing you with a review summary that we have provided. Other platforms will just retain this information for any online retailer that registers or requests this information.

We are sorry you felt the need to escalate this matter unnecessarily.

I received another email from Madison Seating the next day saying the following,
You will be receiving an email within the next 24-48 hours from various online companies regarding the review we posted concerning our transaction. Some of these reviews will be live within that time frame. The review will be under **Company Name** as well as ***MY NAME!!!***. (You may have already seen some of these reviews posted under your company name)

I think this is quite childish. At the end of the day Madison Seating had an opportunity to do the right thing, solidify a relationship with a contract office furniture dealer, and simply send us replacement casters for the chairs. Instead they destroyed a relationship using bullying tactics. My reviews are honest and based on my experience with Madison Seating. Madison Seating actions are based on spite and vengeful.

Be careful if you purchase from Madison Seating. The savings you might get purchasing a used chairs might not be worth the head ache nor potential damages the chairs may cause to your flooring.

Response from madison s., MadisonSeating Representative
This reviewer works for Bell Office Furniture located in NY. They buy product from Madisonseating.com and then resells the item(s) to their customer for a higher premium. Jeremy contacted our customer service department complaining that he resold office chairs to his customer who was using the product on carpet, and complained the chair would not roll well on that type of flooring. We recommended he purchase the upgraded carpet caster as a simple resolve but he refused, and instead accused our company of selling defective product. An item is not defective if it is being used incorrectly. If Bell Office Furniture is going to resell our product, Jeremy needs to advise his customer or the end user that carpet casters will be needed on some carpet flooring. Writing reviews on blogs as a means to bully vendors into servicing HIS customer's is not just unethical, but downright wrong. If the end user had purchased the chairs from our company directly, we would have made sure they would be 100% satisfied with the purchase, and sent them out the correct caster. Jeremy refuses to service his clients by purchasing the upgraded casters they need.
garrettd14
4/6/17

I ordered a chair off this site because of the great prices and discounts. When the chair arrived it was somehow broken. So I immediately contacted them and they told me to send a picture to their customer service detailing the damage. So I did. In the mean time I did my research on the company which I did not do before buying the chair. This had me worried. The number of negative reviews, especially from several years back had me thinking I stupidly gave my money away to a company that sells you broken chairs and doesn't cooperate to fix it. A few hours passed and I received an email from them stating that the damage must have occurred from fedex as the chair left their warehouse in perfect condition along with providing me a new tracking number for a new chair. I did not have to even send the old one back as they suggested donating it when I have time. The new steelcase chair arrived in perfect condition a few days later and was fully operational.

I think it's important to remember these chairs are refurbished chairs and I wish they were a little more upfront about that in their advertising. To be honest, I didn't notice it was 'open box' on their site (as it's kind of hidden and not stated clearly), but I would have been happy buying a refurbished model anyways considering the discount. I'm suspicious that the chair didn't break because of fedex as I feel it would be difficult for them to break something that's properly packaged, and that it's something that went unnoticed in the quality control stage at their warehouse. However, if the previous reviews from a few years back are true it seems that they got their act together as reviews like those were probably hurting their business. Based on my experience, if you are unlucky enough to be sent a broken one, they will send you a better one.

jeongl
2/17/17

I recently purchased the aeron chair. There is lots of scratch on the one of arm rest. I didn't read full terms that 'open box' is including the refurbished items. So, it's my fault and I don't care for the scratches since it's much cheaper than the original price.

The thing is...tilt tension, forward tilt and tilt limiter didn't work. I have been using the Aeron chair in the office more than 4 years, so I am very familiar with it. I requested if they could send me the problematic part only for replacement because I don't want to re-pack the heavy chair again and live without chair(I throw out my old one when it was delivered and I also discarded the package box.)

Madison Seating replied that they can exchange the chair once I send back the chair although they cannot send me the portion only.

I said I will keep the malfunction chair. Tilt doesn't work but I don't use that function a lot..to be honest.. and I really don't want to disassemble and re-pack the chair again. So, basically it was my choice.

Just...it would be perfect if they have done checking every functions are working before shipping out (considering that it took 3 weeks-14 business days-to get my chair but I know actual shipping only took 2 days)

Customer service replied very fast and service itself was good. I thought that I just got what I pay for and should deserve it. that's all. I am just not patient enough to wait for another chair and too bothered to re-pack the chair.

alexg136
1/24/17

I've bought over 15 chairs from these guys over the year. I'll be buying more soon. 3 years after I bought chairs they took care of warranty issues with two of them! That's good customer service!

rickieo2
1/16/17

Was not satisfied with chair and Madison Agreed to send me a new chair at no cost additional cost. Very good follow up and customer service.

jd201
1/10/17

I work from, sitting straight for periods of 10-14 hours a day. I need a good chair and these are the best, however pricey. I decided to go with the Aeron by Herman Miller and chose Madison Seating for a refurb and I couldn't be happier. The chair came well insulated in a big box my children later turned into a playhouse. The chair parts are like new, you can't tell it's refurbed, one bit. That was my main concern because I've used these chairs at previous offices and you can tell when they have been used, but not this one. They carefully inspected and cleaned all parts. From the time I ordered it, my chair arrive in about 10 days. I love it.

daveh117
12/21/16

Ordered counter stools, but they were out of stock. Said they would ship as soon as back in stock. True to their word, they shipped them promptly--on Wed, received on Fri. Free shipping! Totally unexpected to get them that quickly--though for sure it would be at least a week, if not more. Way to go!

karag10
12/20/16

The first time they shipped the chair it had a back that was larger than the seat. They would not send a return until after they received the wrong merchandise. They sent the replacement and you still cant get the back to install. You would think they would check merchandise to ensure it works correctly, especially when it was already returned because it did not work!

Tip for consumers: Buy local, where you can make sure the product you buy can actually be assembled.

Response from madison s., MadisonSeating Representative
Due to the holiday rush, the customer did have an error on her shipment. Not only did we send out a replacement immediately, but the customer received a free headrest (value of $129.99) for the inconvenience.
karenc184
12/19/16

Excellent place to get good quality at cheap prices. The website was easy to use and the customer service excellent. Even though you don't get to see the furniture before you buy the fact that it's free delivery and free return makes it a worry free experience. The dining table set we bought is awesome. Furniture is sturdy, good looking and comfortable.

conradh20
12/12/16

Update 10/29/2018

First, props to Madison Seating for making some positive changes to their website to correct the issues I encountered in my original review. I've upgraded my review by one star, though I don't feel I can justify more than that unless I ever buy another product from them and have a more positive experience. Still, they are moving in the right direction here.

I just took another look at their site, and decided the changes warranted an update here. They finally removed their deceptive "satisfaction guarantee" blurb and replaced it with a far more accurate "moneyback guarantee" link. Also, unlike the previous blurb which linked to a page full of misinformation, the new link now takes you directly to their Terms of Service, so you can see what you're actually getting.

For the curious, I attached a screenshot of what their old "satisfaction guarantee" used to promise, so you can see what the issue was. For most online purchases, paying return shipping isn't a huge deal. But when it's for a chair you paid $500 for instead of buying a new one for $500 more, a $200 return shipping charge is a pretty big deal. At that point, you may as well have bought the new chair for a couple hundred bucks more.

**ORIGINAL REVIEW**

Their "satisfaction guarantee" is false advertising and worthless. Even though they say you have 30 days to return an item and they will pay the return shipping, this is a lie. Hidden in their terms and conditions, they state that not only is the customer liable to pay return shipping, they also charge a $50 restocking fee. The Aeron chair we ordered was too small, and between shipping and restocking fee, it is costing $216 to return the chair.

As for the chair itself, they do indicate that they are open box. This is true, but a bit deceptive. They are essentially used chairs that Madison Seating refurbishes. They claim they provide a 10-year warranty for their Aeron chairs, but given how untrustworthy their "satisfaction guarantee" is, I wouldn't trust this one bit. The chair I got was in good condition, and did look practically new, so if you can be sure you're getting what you want the first time, it can still be a good deal.

Also, their shipping was VERY SLOW. Estimated arrival was 8-10 business days from the date it was ordered, well, it was over 2 weeks before they even made a shipping order, and then another 3 days before they finally shipped it.

In conclusion, if you are sure you know exactly what you want, and you can't find a better price for a nearly-new chair, Madison may still be your best option. Just be aware of what you're getting into.

Update 12/14/2016: Madison is now threatening legal action because of my reviews pointing out their dishonesty. At this point, I cannot recommend this company under any circumstances.

I have photo proof of the purchase, screenshot proof of their lies on their website, which at this point, anyone can still see for themselves, and if they change it, I'm quite certain Google cache will still reveal the truth to anyone who cares.

DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY.

Update 6/30/2017, Re: Madison seating response

Yes, as I already clearly stated in my honest and accurate review, you can find the ACTUAL return policy hidden away in the terms and conditions. Calling it "clearly visible" is, at best, somewhat disingenuous, as the terms and conditions conditions are not easily accessible until the purchase page, and then not highly visible so as to attract attention. Unlike the entirely false so-called "satisfaction guarantee" made extremely visible and attention-grabbing on the home page. It is blatant false advertising, nothing more, nothing less. Any company this blatant and shameless with false advertising is a company I can neither trust nor recommend to anyone else to any extent.

The fact that so many reviews exist revealing similar experiences speaks volumes.

Also note that to this date, Madison Seating has never contacted us in any attempt to resolve this amicably, but only to threaten. We ended up selling the chair ourselves at a far more moderate and less-costly loss than returning it.

Caveat emptor.

Tip for consumers: This company cannot be trusted, period.

Response from madison s., MadisonSeating Representative
This reviewer is using social media as a means to get around our policy. An order was placed by a Conrad's family member (not Conrad himself) who received the correct item in perfect condition as he accurately confirms above. The purchaser realized the chair ordered was not the correct size and demanded a free return and full refund. Our return policy is clearly displayed on our website. We offered the customer the option of returning the product for refund, but as is standard in the industry, a return fee would be deducted from the credit. Keep in mind, the item was sold at 50% off the retail value with a free shipping promotion. The customer threatened to use this platform if we did not offer an exception on the return. Below is an excerpt from his email:
"Conrad Hershberger
One way or another, this issue will be dealt with, whether with your company's assistance or without...At this point, I am still willing to resolve this issue peacefully, and if a satisfactory resolution is achieved, I will amend my reviews to reflect that..."
It's unfortunate the reviewer chose to use online blogs as a means to make us give in to his unwarranted demands.
timothyr28
9/20/16

Overall very impressed with MadisonSeating. Saw a very nice table and chairs on the webiste and glad i order them from the Madison-Seating website. The price was very competitive and the two times I rang them they were friendly and helpful. The table arrived on the day they promised by a hard working team. The table arrived in good condition and looks fantastic. Glad I made the right choice and would recommend.Thanks Racek

sarahk94
9/8/16

Very happy with my new dining table and chairs, looks like a more expensive set than what I paid. Had my grandson to help with the fixing together, needed a little more strength than I have, but easy enough for him. Delivery men phoned when en route. An easy experience all round and wouldn't hesitate dealing with Madison seating again if the need should arise. Thank You

justinc73
9/6/16

Lovely chair and comfortable and has lumbar support which helps the bad back.

juanelll
9/6/16

Fantastic mattress will buy more in a few years when we hopefully move to our bigger house

maldoniag
9/6/16

We have brought lots of furniture from MadisonSeating furniture store over the years and found them to be very friendly and helpful

johnj296
6/29/16

Extremely happy with my purchase, the service team promptly responded my questions, order status were timely communicated, and super fast shipping, item was properly packaged arrived intact

mikeb262
5/14/16

Read lots of good, and lots of bad reviews about Madison after I placed my order and I almost tried to cancel it because I was kind of worried. My chair arrived within the time window they said it would, the box was a little beat up, but the chair was packed pretty well so it didnt suffer any damage. The chair looks VERY close to new, a light scratch on one of the arms and some dust..easy to overlook for the huge price savings..the important parts of the chair look brand new. Very glad I decided to give them a try..if I need anything else I'll certainly check with them again!

jacobs81
4/13/16

I think Madisoneating.com is has the best prices and customer service around. Ordered several different brand name chairs to outfit my new office space. The sales agent helped me select the right ones and the prices were incredible. The open box chairs came in perfect condition. Will most certainly be back to buy again!!

kenj108
3/24/16

I ordered a Herman Miller Aeron and paid extra for the larger C size. I am not an exert on these chairs and assumed that they had sent me the correct size. About 22 months later, another vender (selling headrests) asked me to check the size of the chair based on the number of small bumps on the back - lo and behold, they had sent me a smaller "B" sized chair.

When I tried to switch out the chair I was simply told there is a 30 day warranty. The extra $49 I paid for the larger chair I never received was not refunded and I am stuck with the wrong sized chair for my frame. I am extremely disapointed.

Response from madison s., MadisonSeating Representative
The customer is requesting to return a chair he bought several years ago. Returns and refunds need to be done within 30 days from the receipt of the product. The customer was offered a courtesy credit but we are unable to accept a return on a chair he has been using for several years. We are also uncertain whether the incorrect size chair mentioned was in fact our product as the customer buys from several vendors. This review is unfair and unreasonable.
anitav6
3/15/16

I love my new chair. My favorite part about the chair is that the arms move in and out so I can get closer to my desk and key board.

julissav
2/18/16

I was determined to purchase a Herman Miller chair without spending over $1000. Low and behold Madisonseating provided the perfect price for exactly what I was looking for.

I suffer from extreme lower back pain.I called in regards to this particular product line and the representative took his time going over all of the details and features that would suit my particular needs. With his help Finalizing my purchase for the Aeron highly adjustable chair with the posture fit was a no brainer. It arrived within the 10-14 business day delivery time frame as promised and I honestly couldn't have been more excited. Although its advertised as an open box special, my chair arrived in MINT condition. The representatives are always a pleasure to speak with and they always respond to all of my emails almost immediately.

Bottom line, if you're looking for a great office chair at an amazing price Madisonseating is the place to go.

dinag5
1/26/16

I think Madisonseating.com is an awesome company. Im glad I didnt base my purchase on the last few reviews posted.

As far as their open box specials are concerned, I have been placing orders for my company with Madisonseating.com since 2012. We have never had an issue with the quality of the chairs. We saved thousands of dollars and received nothing less than top notch chairs. We requested warranty service on a few arms, as many of our employees tend to push the chair under the desk. The warranty service was seamless and interacting with the customer service staff was great.

If you are looking to receive quality brand name chairs at the lowest prices around, this is the website for you.

chanam2
1/26/16

I recently received a large shipment of ergonomic office chairs from Madisonseating.com. I am not only impressed with the excellent condition of the chairs but the crazy savings I received on my purchase. Being a start up company, I am extremely conscious of every dollar I spend. I stumbled onto Madisonseating.com's website while searching on Amazon for some good deals on brand name chairs. I saw they had excellent reviews so I decided to contact them directly regarding any additional discounts they can afford me if I ordered a large quantity. I was transferred to their corporate sales department and spoke to a nice young lady who was extremely knowledgeable on the chairs and did infact award me a special volume discount rate. The chairs arrived with Fedex and required just a simple assembly. I am hoping to do more hires before the summer and will most definitely come back to Madisonseating.com for additional chairs. Their prices are the lowest and they had terrific service to boot!!"

Hi Joyce. Feel free to reach out to our customer care department by emailing customerservice@madisonseating.com

By madison s., MadisonSeating Representative

Hi Alice. Thank you for your inquiry! Our records indicate that you placed an order with our company on 5/19/15. At that time, you were told the delivery time frame would be around 10-14 business days. Your chair is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow which is right within the time frame we estimated. The chair you purchased was part of our clearance sale section and the prices are reduced considerably so that yourr savings will be several hundred dollars. Due to the tremendous response on our clearance sale items, the delivery time gets estimated at 10-14 business days. Our customer's are willing to wait the extra few days on the shipping since our prices and services cannot be beat. Your purchase includes a 30 day satisfaction guarantee and 10 year warranty with Madisonseating.com. Feel free to contact our customer service department directly for more information relating specifically to your order. Enjoy your new chair!

By madison s., MadisonSeating Representative

Hi Joyce, Our company name is Madisonseating.com.

By madison s., MadisonSeating Representative

Patricia. We understand there was an error in the color chair you received. We offered to pick up the chair at our expense and issue a full refund as we are now sold out of the blue Aeron chair. We did not intentionally ship you an incorrect color chair. Mistakes happen. This was an honest mistake done by a packer, probably due to the holiday rush. The color black and blue are hard to discern on a mesh chair. Please return the chair at this point as your reaction to the error has been a tad excessive.

By madison s., MadisonSeating Representative

Hi Lonnie. We do not simply cancel orders without there being a good reason. Your placed (2) separate orders with us and it appears you are confused by your purchases. The first order was processed successfully with the payment you provided and shipped in a timely manner. You were emailed a confirmation of this order along with an order number assigned for that transaction. On the second order you attempted to place you provided a new email address and an invalid credit card number. The order was flagged as a potentially fraudulent transaction and subsequently canceled. Again, an email confirmation with a DIFFERENT order number was emailed to you along with a notification indicating there was an issue with the payment provided. It appears you may have gotten confused by your own purchases. We are always available if you need further clarification on these 2 separate purchases.

By madison s., MadisonSeating Representative

As an online company we are vigilant about fraud. You provided an invalid credit card number that was being declined by our processor. Your order has a high fraud rating and was flagged. If a customer is indeed legitimate and not looking to commit online fraud, they would have rectified the situation with the credit card and simply placed a new order online.

By madison s., MadisonSeating Representative

The warranty we offer covers any mechanical issues that may arise during normal use of the product

By madison s., MadisonSeating Representative

Thank you for your interest in Madison Seating, currently the largest retailer in North America for brand name office chairs at the lowest prices possible! The "Open Box Specials" featured on our website are a great way to save money on the best selling chairs on the market today. These brand name chairs are being sold for more than half off their retail value and will include free shipping!! "Open Box" simply means, the item is out of the original packaging. The chair was either, returned, refurbished, on display or has been in inventory for awhile and since been placed on a clearance. The merchandise is in perfect working condition. In addition, you will be provided with a 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee and 10-year Madison Seating warranty. We are so confident that our prices are currently the lowest on the internet we are willing to not only match but beat anyone selling these item(s) at a lower cost. Best regards, Allie Madison Seating 888-704-3435

By madison s., MadisonSeating Representative

Hi Fong, Our records indicate that you were sent an email apologizing for the error in sending you a the Size B chair and not the Size A chair as requested. We offered you a generous compensation to keep the incorrect size chair or the option of picking up the chair for full refund or exchange. In fact, a fedex pre-paid label was already sent to you. Please contact our customer service department if you did not receive this information. The Team at Madisonseating.com

By madison s., MadisonSeating Representative
Questions? Get answers from the MadisonSeating staff and other customers.

MadisonSeating?