Review of iFixit

pro@ifixit.com
2018 Customer choice award

sellas1
11/4/17

A colleague recommended this awful company and l was so desperate that l foolishly trusted her word and did not read reviews and l wish l had been more patient and read reviews before taking my phone to such horrible people. First, l was charged $180 to fix my a bleeding screen on my Samsung s6 phone. To make it even worse l had to pay the total amount upfront! They promised to call me when my phone wad ready, the never did. When l finally got my phone back, l noticed that the screen was less touch sensitive, it was so hard typing anything. I took it back to them and again l was promised to be called when they received the screen, and again, they didn't call me.
At last my screen has been fixed. My advice to anyone out there, TAKE YOUR DEVICE TO THE HONEST AND LESS EXPENSIVE PEOPLE AT THE MALL, YOU HET GREAT SERVICE FOR A FRACTION WHAT YOU WOULD pay at Ifixit. I was ripped off. Listen to me, please don't use their services!!!!

ramonp25
9/8/17

I bought a raplacement part and some other fix materials. Package arrive very fast and without any itch. They care about the whole process, from sending to arrival.

Regards from Chile

Tip for consumers: Be aware with the local cost of shipping company.

brockm15
8/25/17

I love ifixit, its been so convenient, ive been able to fix my things myself, save a buck and get some experience, keep it up guys.

anthonyc163
8/12/17

My iPhone 6 headphone jack wasn't working properly, so I decided to purchase the replacement part from iFixit, which also included a new lightning port, speaker and a few new connectors for other components.
I followed the instructions correctly, however, the speaker stopped working, and the vibrator would work only occasionally (original vibrator that came with the phone, but new connector).The whole phone would get very hot just from being switched on, and also had poorer battery life. Wifi would also drop in and out, probably because of the new cable/ connector for the antenna. None of these issues were occurring before I used the replacement part. I ended up having to go to a repair shop to get a full unit replacement done. See photo for the replacement part.

chrisu14
7/31/17

Their parts are cheap knockoffs and NOT genuine as advertised.
I purchased and installed a camera for my iPhone 6 Plus, which they claimed were genuine Apple Products with the Apple Logo. NOT ONLY did the item NOT work, but now I have several large vertical bars on my display!!
Once I put the camera in, reset all cables, sealed and booted my iPhone 6 Plus, there was NO boot logo! It was just a scrambled screen! I could not even shut it off so I had to get into my laptop to search how to disconnect the battery; I was not going to chance disconnecting any cables while the power was still on.
I put back in my old camera and put my iPhone back together. Now it is working fine, but I still see those vertical bars that I mentioned.
I not only feel angry for all of the work I did to try and fix this, but I am also angry that now my iPhone display is totally ruined!
Not only that, this camera looks NOTHING LIKE THE DEPICTION OF IT!: https://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPhone/iPhone-6-Plus-Rear-Camera/IF269-009-1
There is NO Apple logo and, as a matter of fact, there are no letters/numbers displayed on the ribbon! I held it under my magnifying lamp and I can clearly see that anything that was printed on this ribbon was colored over with a permanent marker.
I feel cheated and scammed! I was very angry and I just wanted my money back.
I only made this purchase because their site guaranteed me that it was an original part that will work on my iPhone.
UPDATE: I just checked the provided link and NOW all of the pictures of this camera are gone from their website! WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!

I sent the item back for a refund and was sent this email:

It's me again, the bewitching iFixit Return Robot.
A support human has evaluated your return and the return process is complete. No further action is required.
Unfortunately, your return has been denied, per our return policy, as the part that was sent back was not an iFixit part. The part you sent back has sharpie and scratch marks over the Apple logo, while ours have a QR sticker, and a manufacturing stamp. If you still have the iFixit part and want to return it, please let us know. If you would like the part back, we'd be happy to send it back to you at your expense. Please contact us with in 7 days of this email if you would like the part back, otherwise the part will be properly recycled for your convenience. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bwzmpxoxbq4mqg9/AACH63DjY2jNiUCSgz_qfMila?dl=0
If you have any questions, reply to me and I can pass on your message to our team.
Thanks for your business!

-----------------------

So now they are denying my refund because of the magic marker and no Apple logo, etc.
There is obviously something going on with this site. So please just use caution before using this site.

Tip for consumers: Make sure you record every aspect from opening to installing any product from this place or they will try to deny that it was even their product in the first place.

colinb62
7/27/17

I bought the pro tech tool kit, which was priced $10 cheaper than resellers. Package arrived in the time frame established at checkout, and was packed well. Very happy with iFixit, and will probably buy more from them in the future.

paull210
7/19/17

I used to love ifixit. As an electrical engineer who used to build my own computers from scratch, I'm not opposed to rolling up my sleeves to extend the shelf life of expensive electronics. I make a habit of replacing my iPhone battery every year, and ifixit makes it very easy to do this. Also, as a Cal Poly alumni, I've watched this company grow up in my own back yard over the past 10 years. Unfortunately, I'm sad to say it has not grown well. It's still the same small town players attempting (and failing) to operate a global scale internet business.

My problems date back to about three years ago, when I was shipped a faulty replacement battery for my iPhone 5. The battery had a dead cell, which meant it would suddenly shut off around 30% charge. When I brought this to the attention of ifixit support, they were quick to respond and send me a replacement. Since replacing the battery is a minor operation, I was able to swap this out in about 15 mins with only minor trouble for having to do it twice.

Fast forward a year later, I had upgraded to an iPhone 6, and after a year of skiing in Tahoe the microphone had gotten some kind of water damage. Everyone kept complaining that my calls were muffled and hard to understand. So I pulled up the ifixit website and sure enough, they had a replacement part. I ordered it and set in for major iPhone surgery.

The iPhone 6 microphone is on a much larger assembly at the bottom of the phone, which pretty much requires stripping the phone down to bare metal and using conductive adhesive to carefully route all these components without affecting the antennas, which are also in the area. Needless to say, this is a MAJOR project taking about an hour to complete your first time. (I got quite good by the third time - more on this in a minute.)

So after performing this long and painstaking task, I finally got my iPhone buttoned up again with everything functional. Except the microphone. The thing I was trying to fix actually got WORSE. To the point where I had to use headphones to make all my calls because the internal microphone was so muffled and muted.

I called up ifixit, and they apologized for the defective part - shipping me a new one overnight. Slightly annoyed, I set about replacing this part again, only to find this new part worse than the first. I hit the ceiling. After doing some research online, I learned ifixit was sourcing these parts directly from China, and was having issues with quality control since they didn't test them locally before shipping straight to customers.

Luckily they owned up to this mistake, and promised shipped me a third replacement part provided I would return ship my first two defective ones. The third part was the charm, and I finally had a working iPhone again.

Fast forward to the final chapter of my story. I managed to dent the lower volume rocker on my iphone 7. (How this can happen blows my mind...) Having forgotten about my experience a year prior, I hop onto the ifixit website from my phone and find the exact replacement part I need. Within 5 minutes the part is in my cart, and I'm able to get the order off before I lose reception going into the mountains (doubling checking that it's the right version, color, etc.) A couple weeks later the part arrives, and I prepare to perform the surgery. (Another doozy that requires a stripdown to bare metal.) Just before I start the repair, I decide to pull out the replacement part to get it prepped for the swap. To my surprise, I find that it's silver, not black. On further investigation, I learn they shipped me an iPhone 6 part, not one for iPhone 7.

Upon bringing this to the ifixit team's attention, I have to wait upwards of 48 hours for a response (a marked departure from the prompt customer service I've seen in the past). The customer service rep then proceeds to spend less than 5 minutes reviewing my case, and cheerfully responds that they will send me another iPhone 6 part right away. I respond on the thread that they should NOT send me another bad part, and to please send me the part I was trying to order in the first place. I look on their website and see that the iPhone 7 part that I need is out of stock - probably explaining why they sent me an iPhone 6 part instead.

The customer service rep never looks back at my thread, and sure enough, I recieve the wrong part again. I again hit the roof. How hard is it to spend an extra 5 minutes studying a case to get it right? I ask for a full refund of my return.

The customer service rep grants the RMA and informs me that I am entitled to about $90 back. I send the materials off, and about a week later get an email saying $60 will be credited to my account. When I ask about this discrepancy, a THIRD customer service rep tells me that I'm being charged a 15% restocking fee, adding insult to injury to this whole debacle.

In the end, I have to put a strong BUYER BEWARE on ifixit. Bad supply chain and slipping customer service.

leeb108
7/13/17

Bought a tri-wing Y00 bit from them to do some home repair work on a Nintendo product I own. I was happy to support iFixit since I've found a lot of useful (and free) DIY information on their website, and the tri-wings are exceedingly uncommon bits, especially at this size; none of my local stores either carried or had them in stock. It was probably a little expensive for a single bit (mostly thanks to shipping), but it was a very high quality bit and it was worth the price, due to the low quality of the screws Nintendo uses in the product I was seeking to repair and how prone they are to stripping. I wouldn't have wanted to take the chance using anything lower quality, and thanks to the quality of the product iFixit sold me, the work went flawlessly.

Tip for consumers: Just don't have unrealistic expectations. This isn't Amazon and they aren't going to get you your product in two days guaranteed for free. But I still got mine in maybe five days. And at least with iFixit you don't have to sift through a million trash-quality Chinese knock-offs to try and figure out what the legitimate product, you know you're getting a good, high quality product that won't sabotage your repair work.

paulh282
7/3/17

Repair parts/tools ordered online arrived quickly. Video tutorials and step-by-step webpages assist in repairing.

hh54
5/11/17

Without ifixit my Kindle would have been dropped off at Staples and I'd have been out another $100 to replace it, if I could afford the cost of a new one. Thanks, ifixit!

benr76
5/10/17

They sent me two different screens. Both were broken and the second one blew my GPU. After bricking my phone, they refused to refund me for their faulty parts.

waynew50
4/12/17

Was sold a faulty battery for my MacBook Air and a broken screwdriver. Customer service refuses to answer emails and phone calls. Avoid at all costs.

roberts583
4/10/17

Don't be deceived by the glitzing repair videos. If you order any parts from iFixit, be prepared to wait at least 6 weeks for delivery - possible 2 months. My story: I ordered iMac repair parts on March 15th, and paid $11.50 for US Postal First Class to Canada. Here I am, April 10th with no delivery. When I contacted iFixit, they told me to wait until 6 weeks have passed and then contact my post office to see if they can locate the item! What kind of companies this? The charge a high delivery cost, no tracking number, no customer support. Never again, and if you're thinking about ordering from them, beware.

chaseb23
3/14/17

Our tech shop has used ifixit for a long time now and are extremely happy with the quality of their products and the quality of their service. Hands down the best site for guides and parts! Extremely trustworthy, we have never had late shipments or bad parts sent to us.

fredh74
3/13/17

Ordered an ifixit.com iPhone 6 plus replacement screen and received a screen that looks brand new but when powered on, a portion of the screen does not work. Had to reinstall the old screen which works better than the one ifixit.com sent to me. When I contacted ifixit.com to advise them of the problem with their screen, they advised that it had to have been damaged from installation and that it couldn't be a bad screen. Do not buy from this company.

dalem71
2/27/17

Their customer service sucks and their international shipping to Canada is the worst I have seen from any company. And I deal with a lot out of the US. Poor rating and when you try to re-contact your customer service agent your return email is not accepted on their server. POOR

steven1940
1/13/17

I resonantly purchased a toolkit from ifixit.com, and it came in on time and is a great quality.I love ifixit.com for their teardown videos and instructions. A wonderful site to use so you know how to get in there and get your device fixed! You know where your going before yo even start.

johnj329
11/23/16

Nothing more to say. Disappointed.

timothyl31
11/21/16

My daughter dropped and shattered the screen of her iPhone 5s. Rather than bringing it into "the shop"/phone store to have it fixed at the minimum of the estimated "couple hundred dollars" the salesperson quoted me over the phone, I thought, "How hard could it possibly be to replace this on my own?"

Knowing there were literally masses of options available on the internet for parts, I first ordered a generic replacement kit and found the ifixit site for the tutorial(s). After a very painful swap of all the parts, I got it put back together only to find the screen had crazy resolution problems with multiple lines running through the display. Then I happened to see that ifixit actually sold complete assemblies - I figured, "What the hell - it's still well under the cost of bringing the phone in for repair..." and purchased the full assembly.

The part was delivered quickly and the replacement (literally) took me less than 20 minutes. And everything worked PERFECTLY!

I'm not going to lie - ifixit.com is now the ONLY place I'll go for my fixit needs.
DEFINITELY a recommendation from me! :)

dj418
10/8/16

My package came within 5 days of order and with the helpful video guide i replaced my iphone 4 batter with no issues. Battery works without flaw. This is now my primary site for electronical repairs.

amilyw
9/13/16

They have great service! It really helps me to fix my camera!

michellem195
8/14/16

I found ifixit a couple of years ago through my job at Cornell and, since then, I've relied on it for information and solutions to all my Macintosh repair and troubleshooting issues.

ianp35
8/7/16

This website is fantastic! I have an issue trying to find a specific part for my laptop, and came across ifixit.com. With their simple ID your device process I was able to find my laptop amongst the ocean of models out there with ease. Not only did they help find the specific part I needed, but also the tools necessary to install it! I highly recommend this sight if your looking for a specific part or need to watch some great tutorials so you can fix your stuff and save some cash. Thanks!

thomasf77
8/4/16

I just ordered the parts I needed and I have to say that the process was very simple compared to some internet sites.

Upon receipt of order I will review shipping and handling but I am confident it will surpass my expectations.

jessea26
7/30/16

I have never had issues. My replacement screen and power button came quicker then they estimated. Also when my home key button broke after my warranty they still replaced it and have guaranteed a continued customer!

10 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Their instructions cover each step in clear detail. All include photos and nearly all have video as well. Highly recommended!

By John D.

Telephone number is (866) 613-4948.

By Bruce J.

The company is located in the United States but their products are sources from China and often drop shipped that way with considerable markups.

By Hanna L.

Questions? Get answers from the iFixit staff and other customers.

iFixit?