HolidayLettings.co.uk

HolidayLettings.co.uk has a consumer rating of 1.19 stars from 36 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. HolidayLettings.co.uk also ranks 70th among Vacation Rentals sites. The most common issues with HolidayLettings.co.uk are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

No positive highlights yet

• I don't feel the booking fee was made clear enough at point of booking.
  • As an owner Holiday Lettings has become a dreadful company after being taken over by Trip Advisor.
How would you rate HolidayLettings.co.uk?

“Tripadvisor are a greedy company. You will never be able to contact them.”

alex k.
2/3/19

New contract is an insult. They add 15% booking charge on weekly rental rates for themselves - owner charges £490 for a week's stay then Tripadvisor charge £561.05. In addition they then charge 3% + vat on the weekly rental. Since the addition of the booking fee bookings are down 45% though I have kept my prices the same. For a booking made in July 2018 I will only receive the money on September 12th 2019 (5 days after the rental begins. Tripadvisor received the deposit(30%) in July 2018 (held for 15 months), and then the balance in July 2019 but nothing comes the owners way until mid September 2019. Don't waste your time trying to contact anyone. There are no phone numbers and emails are ignored. I off!

“High cancellation charges”

Jules M.
3/10/20

I have just cancelled my listing with this company. From an owners point of view this company should be avoided. They charge extortionate amounts in the event of having to cancel a booking. I do understand that it isnt nice to have reservations cancelled and felt terrible having to do this and in my years of running a holiday let have never cancelled on anyone however sometimes things happen that are beyond your control. So after explaining my situation of why I couldnt fulfil his reservation, I found alternative accomodation for him, customer was really understanding about it and as he had only paid a deposit, which I actioned to be reimbursed in full, he was fine. Just to add, no monies had been received by me for this booking as company keep hold until 24 hours after check in to release the funds. The issue I had was they charged me a fee of £120.00 for cancelling, when I challenged this with them they said its in their T & C's and its to cover the time it takes to help the customer find somewhere else I explained that they had not helped the customer, I had, to which they kept saying its in the T & C's, so this reason from them is absolute bull. I asked for a breakdown of this cost and they said they wouldnt be able to provide this. This company do not care about rental owners or customers they just want to make money where they can. Avoid this company at all costs......

booking fee (6) trip advisor (4) customer service (5) owner (20)
alexk241
February 3rd, 2019
I off!
julesm66
March 10th, 2020
dorothyw36
January 1st, 2017
We have always used Holiday Letting until it was taken over by Trip Advisor. The whole process became a nightmare as three currencies were involved: Dollars, Euros and Pounds. There was even a column of figures in Euros with the total shown in Dollars.
Also as an American company was involved all dates were shown in US format i.e. MM/DD/YYYY
As I was booking from the UK perhaps a bit of common sense could have come into play.

Dorothy Ward
davidm1798
January 20th, 2019
As an owner Holiday Lettings has become a dreadful company after being taken over by Trip Advisor. They now charge owners- or try to- if do not reply to requests in over 24 hours. If a mistake in the booking is made again they try to charge 100 Euros. I have removed my rental appts from today after Google search for a contact phone number. The email address is non functioning and impossible to contact from their website. Avoid and stick to AirB&B

Tip for consumers: Avoid

danielg187
October 16th, 2017
I am a cottage owner located in Wales UK and the owner support with cancellations is awful. They make you pay 120 pounds if you have to cancel a booking If you can use another agency do so as they will take all your hard earned money.
bonnyc6
April 5th, 2019
I looked up Holiday Watchdog and across the top of the page in bold letters it says THIS HOTEL IS NOW CLOSED. I have tried to contact them as we are not closed. After 10 years TripAdvisor also cancelled our listing without letting us know they said we did not comply. After many emails we will now be reinstated on TripAdvisor under THINGS TO DO, but still have no means of removing Holiday Watchdog's false claims. We have lost business due to false claims and having our listing with lovely reviews removed.
pauls538
March 24th, 2018
We researched and requested a holiday booking at an advertised price only to have the owner come back and offer a "quote" for the same dates around 25% higher. Of course we declined and the owner claims this is how the site works. To me it amounts to false advertising. Don't waste your time and use a site which honors the price advertised. Note that the same property is still advertising the same dates at a much lower price, obviously just to lure people in. AVOID
josephg304
April 1st, 2019
Trip Advisor and Holiday Lettings should feature on a Scam Watchdog type of program, this is a complete FRAUDULENT Company.
There is absolutely no way of contacting them.
Stay well clear of them DO NOT BOOK with this company.
You have no come back , you cannot speak to anyone, you cannot email anyone.
AVOID.....
alexandrosa2
March 5th, 2018
Scam!!!
I made two bookings through the site and both of them were canncelled by the owner of the property. No problem with that.
However, the site has not yet returned the deposit that I paid. A month has passed since the cancellation, and they say that they cannot return my money due to technical problems. Furthermore, communication is virtually impossible.
Stay away
ronc44
March 17th, 2015
Firstly as an owner don`t bother trying contacting by email they just ignore it. Secondly they are becoming very greedy in that if you don`t agree to them handling your booking and taking deposits you are penalised by your listing appearing at the very end of hundreds of other listings even though they say it changes regularly.

You have no ability to personally contact perspective clients as all emails go through them and finally penalised by not contacting would be guests within 24 hours notwithstanding the fact that anything up to 12/18 hrs can be lost in world time zones.

Take a leaf out of Home Away

Tip for consumers: Don`t

markj216
July 4th, 2017
I advertised 3 properties with HL. Having outsourced their customer services dept overseas I find it impossible to receive any help or understanding of whatever question or problem I have had.
The price of my subscription listings having been increased by 75% over 3 years is another reason to avoid them.
They are squeezing the business to inflate short term profits to flog it to some unsuspecting mug buyer.

3 years ago 5 stars, now 1.
pauld237
June 11th, 2017
Advertised since 2015. No issues last year paid direct into my bank.
This year I have been advised that payment has been sent however 15 days later I am still waiting.
The company have stated 3 different payment dates, I have spent 20 hours on phone and sent numerous emails.
My cottage is booked June,July and August we simply can't let cottage free and will be cancelling all bookings
Do not use this company, they tell lies have appalling service and don't pay
andrewk250
November 10th, 2018
Go through their booking and enter card details process three times , good dates are available. Every time the owner came back and said it's not available. I can't try again I've no funds free in my bank (potentially for the next 7 days if I'm lucky) and the bank blocked my card for fraud to boot.
alexd207
May 22nd, 2018
Since TripAdvisor bought this company they have reduced it to 'don't go there' outfit for owners. Will keep all monies paid until 2 days into rental, and then inform you that a further 5 days is needed to reach your bank. If the customer cancels gets a full refund at any time, if the owner cancels it is £120. Trying to contact anybody by phone is futile, they never answer emails. I had a booking for 18th September 2018 - deposit £250 paid in May 2017 - but I will receive this money about 25th September 2018.
And the booking fee which did not exist in 2017 is enormous - I receive £575, they charge £681.
But don't try querying why as they could not care less - just leave.
kibrisi
June 15th, 2017
HL has "bounced" its payments to me 7 times. This is the first time I have used HL/TA. So far they have bounced their payment 4 times for my first guest and 3 times for the second. Only businesses that are insolvent act like this. I have cancelled the other bookings so HL has wrecked their holidays too. It is beyond words to describe their dishonesty in dealing with me. As described elsewhere, contacting their customer "support" is like trying to grab a piranha swimming in oil.
garyc357
September 18th, 2018
This company which comes under the general umbrella of TripAdvisor along with Flipkey & a few others are to be avoided at all costs. They offer no customer support when things go wrong & the whole booking aspect is dodgy to say the least. I booked a stay that was accepted by the owner within 24hours who then came back the next day & tried to claim another 50% on top of the agreed price. I rejected the claim online as I was told I could & the booking was confirmed. I paid the full balance but when I came to access the property the owner said it had been cancelled. I complained to Holiday lettings after eventually finding the contact number on a forum. The staff who are based in India don't care one bit. I was left having to accept an inferior property in a $#*!ty area with only 1 bedroom. My claim for payment protection as per their website was rejected & the whole experience ruined my holiday. They take their booking fee & move on not worrying about the customer. Use AirBNB or VRBO.
lindag222
August 14th, 2017
The worst service ever .
really bad -I cant say more.
You cannot get hold of them -when you finally do -they say ridiculous things like -our platform is not compatible with apple as an excuse for not sending any of the enquiries
ianh158
December 3rd, 2018
I booked an apartment in Tenerife through Holidaylettings for January 2019. For family reasons I needed to change the arrival date by 1 day. In the web site there is a section to do this, however that request goes to the owner. If the owner (as in this case) refuses to answer the request, nothing happens. I made numerous calls to the Holiday Lettings Customer Support (what a joke) and they tried to contact the owner to get him to reply. he claimed he was Russian, there was language barrier, and he didn't understand. Bull$#*!! He's already sent me e-mails explaining how to pick up the keys etc. he understands English perfectly. So, now I want to cancel. All of a sudden the Russian agrees to my changes! Sorry mate, too late, you've had your chance, I don't trust you and don't want to stay in your apartment.
I contact customer support again, but unfortunately I cannot cancel without losing my deposit!!!! even though that owner was refusing to answer all correspondence! What a sham, what a scam. I wouldn't book another apartment through this web site if you paid me and good luck to anyone else who does. I have lost 235 Euros for something that wasn't my fault. The customer support was a disgrace and no help whatsoever.
gaynorw1
February 8th, 2016
Taken over by Big Brother Tripadvisor, it has become too big. I have had 4 inquiries since Sept 2015. At this time of year I am usually run off my feet answering inquiries, now it's all gone quiet. At over £400 fee for the year that works our at £100 per inquiry so far. I will not be renewing next year but have to bite the bullet this year. Owners beware. Is there an Owners forum out there?
shaunam12
January 25th, 2018
As a villa owner, I follow all HL advise on how to be high in their search rankings. I recently tried to find out why holiday lettings has stopped customers searching on the area they wanted. They are now allowing a 20 mile radius of searches in the area a potential renter searches. It isn't even as though the villas in the rental area appear first. so my villa now appears on page 10 when it used to be on the first page for that area. And villas 20 miles away appear before it. After several messages of them trying to convince me that this is "ok" and wont affect me I reminded them that January was usually the busiest month for enquiries and I had received none. I then asked for the complaints procedure and they are now ignoring all messages from me.
paulinec33
August 22nd, 2017
I have recently booked an apartment through Holiday Lettings and was astonished to find that I paid 71 euros in a booking fee on a rental of 561.05 euros. I only found this out as the invoice from the owner showed the rental as 490 euros and the owner confirmed that 490 was the correct rental price and that Holiday Lettings had added their booking fee. I guess they are also charging the owner a subscription charge. I understand that this is covered in the Ts and Cs but you would have to read every word to find it. I wouldn't use them again. Retired from Somerset.
judes20
August 7th, 2017
On four occasions price quoted by holiday lettings is 1000 euro cheaper than actual price quoted by owners for 2018. Very unprofessional!
stewartf8
February 22nd, 2017
After being with Holiday Lettings for 4 years I have been extremely disappointed with the service since Trip Adviser has taken over. Everything is more complicated and because we only let the property out in week long durations, I have been suspended because i am not accepting 2 and 3 nighters. Ruccish
johns1790
June 9th, 2017
This was the worst decision of my life. Customer service put me in harms way by not acting responsibly and tried saying that the rebooking of a hotel at the same price was a matter of goodwill, but when in reality it was a contractual obligation. The lady owed the booking service for a previous short term cancellation. She tried to withhold my luggage when I refused to give her any money, when I told her that I paid the booking in full through ****************************** and she needed to contact them. The reason why I believe they are in part responsible for this is that they cancelled her account before I was able to get my stuff from her. 2. I was put in the default position of being tripadvisors/booking.com's agent, by having to inform her that she needed to contact they agency to see why she was not getting the money in full. I told her what she is doing is illegal and I would call the police. I guess she heard me call the police, because she threw my personal property all over her lawn and then threatened me by saying, "She is going to get her boyfriend to kick my ***."
dianac30
May 16th, 2015
Never ever use this company. They have refused to refund our money - the owner had double booked and we could not stay there. What followed with this company has been appalling they have made all the excuses in the world not to refund us. I have spoken to them at least 10 times and each time they say they will call back - no call ever returned.I now have no alternative but to take this matter further legally.

I totally agree, as an owner of 4 properties advertised and who totally disagrees with Online Payment Protection and all the problems it creates (just read the trust pilot reviews) all of my properties are constantly on the back pages as I do not have the OPP stamp on them, as I pay an annual fee for all of them and most of the others are 'free listing' whereby Holiday Lettings gets a large commission on each booking, I am disgusted at the new system, especially as I have been a loyal customer since 2008. Don't bother advertising with the other big names out there, they have just changed their system and its even worse.

By christine M.