HolidayLettings UK

Ratings On Other Platforms

Trustpilot
3 / 5

HolidayLettings UK has a consumer rating of 1.17 stars from 42 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about HolidayLettings UK most frequently mention customer service and trip advisor problems. HolidayLettings UK ranks 90th among Vacation Rentals sites.

No positive highlights yet

• I don't feel the booking fee was made clear enough at point of booking.
  • This company and the villa owner should not be able to profit from people in times like this.
How would you rate HolidayLettings UK?

“Tripadvisor are a greedy company. You will never be able to contact them.”

alex k.
2/3/19

New contract is an insult. They add 15% booking charge on weekly rental rates for themselves - owner charges £490 for a week's stay then Tripadvisor charge £561.05. In addition they then charge 3% + vat on the weekly rental. Since the addition of the booking fee bookings are down 45% though I have kept my prices the same. For a booking made in July 2018 I will only receive the money on September 12th 2019 (5 days after the rental begins. Tripadvisor received the deposit(30%) in July 2018 (held for 15 months), and then the balance in July 2019 but nothing comes the owners way until mid September 2019. Don't waste your time trying to contact anyone. There are no phone numbers and emails are ignored. I off!

“Beware cancellation policy”

Phil H.
5/21/21

The procedure outlined in the contract is followed to the letter, so don't expect any change due to Covidrelated contingencies despite kind words about flexibility of the website. I ended up losing the entire deposit which was nearly 50% of the booking fee which on reflection was an error on my part to accept such a high deposit requirement but recognise it gains you no advantage if you need to reschedule the booking as they are not interested in any kind of negotiation. Poor customer service and bland responses mean from my experience I would caution against using this company.

booking fee (7) villa owner (3) trip advisor (4) customer service (5)
philh480

February 3rd, 2019

I off!

dorothyw36
January 1st, 2017

We have always used Holiday Letting until it was taken over by Trip Advisor. The whole process became a nightmare as three currencies were involved: Dollars, Euros and Pounds. There was even a column of figures in Euros with the total shown in Dollars.
Also as an American company was involved all dates were shown in US format i. E. MM/DD/YYYY
As I was booking from the UK perhaps a bit of common sense could have come into play.

Dorothy Ward

neild163
May 6th, 2021

Since trip Advisor took over Hollidaylettings.co.uk they have become one of the most difficult companies to deal with that I have ever experienced. Every conversation revolves around how they can make more money. They are absolutely pathetic. Please bring back the old Holiday Lettings as they were a pleasure to deal with.

marians91
July 19th, 2020

I booked a villa in Montenegro through Holiday Lettings to go on the 2nd of August last week easy jet cancelled the flights. The Villa owner refunded some of the money I had paid but kept £600 of it, then unbelievably holiday lettings kept another £400 for booking fees so basically it cost me £1000 through no fault of my own.
I do have sympathy with the villa owner but I think the behavour of holiday lettings is discusting and would advice everyone to keep well away

madhus43
October 1st, 2021

I had a bad experience, i did book a room for 3 nights through holidaylettings, and went to there to check-in and realized there is not any room and anybody to help with checkin. When you call them nobody pickup phone and it goes to automated voice. Then, i called original listing owner, they said that they donot have my reservation info. Further, they are collecting your personal info (credit card/driving license) in online, they may misuse this info. Luckily, I spoke to creditcard company to stop my payment to them and it worked.

julesm66
March 10th, 2020

I have just cancelled my listing with this company. From an owners point of view this company should be avoided. They charge extortionate amounts in the event of having to cancel a booking. I do understand that it isnt nice to have reservations cancelled and felt terrible having to do this and in my years of running a holiday let have never cancelled on anyone however sometimes things happen that are beyond your control. So after explaining my situation of why I couldnt fulfil his reservation, I found alternative accomodation for him, customer was really understanding about it and as he had only paid a deposit, which I actioned to be reimbursed in full, he was fine. Just to add, no monies had been received by me for this booking as company keep hold until 24 hours after check in to release the funds. The issue I had was they charged me a fee of £120.00 for cancelling, when I challenged this with them they said its in their T & C's and its to cover the time it takes to help the customer find somewhere else I explained that they had not helped the customer, I had, to which they kept saying its in the T & C's, so this reason from them is absolute bull. I asked for a breakdown of this cost and they said they wouldnt be able to provide this. This company do not care about rental owners or customers they just want to make money where they can. Avoid this company at all costs...

danielg187
October 16th, 2017

I am a cottage owner located in Wales UK and the owner support with cancellations is awful. They make you pay 120 pounds if you have to cancel a booking If you can use another agency do so as they will take all your hard earned money.

daphneb52
March 13th, 2021

I booked: Second Line To The Beach Villa Near Puerto Cabopino, Marbella! (9416537) in 2019 for the Easter break for 2020. Obviously COVID 19 scuppered that plan and it was rescheduled for Easter weekend 2021. Due to UK legal legislation and Spain only accepting Spanish residents to travel into Spain I requested this to be postponed again to 2022.
I have been given a GSI (Good Stiff Ignoring). I have spent over £2.5K for this trip and also got GSI'd when I tried to postpone another booking for last October (for the same reasons), so £5.5K gone! Holiday lettings and the owners have taken that money!

Do NOT EVER BOOK THROUGH THIS COMPANY AND DO NOT EVER book Second Line To The Beach Villa Near Puerto Cabopino, Marbella! They are thieves.

lorrainel163
July 4th, 2020

This company uses avoidance tactics and never answers a review, call, email with a straight answer. This company are scammers and theives and the owner of the villa is no better. Can't go on holiday due to the aftermath of covid19. I didn't want to cancel holiday, only change the dates. Surprise surprise, I can't do that, even when it states in terms and conditions under the current circumstances you can. They take your deposit and a massive one at that, then they dissappear. Absolute cowards and should be reported to watchdog. This company and the villa owner should not be able to profit from people in times like this.

davidm1798
January 20th, 2019

As an owner Holiday Lettings has become a dreadful company after being taken over by Trip Advisor. They now charge owners- or try to- if do not reply to requests in over 24 hours. If a mistake in the booking is made again they try to charge 100 Euros. I have removed my rental appts from today after Google search for a contact phone number. The email address is non functioning and impossible to contact from their website. Avoid and stick to AirB&B

Avoid

Products used:
Rental service

bonnyc6
April 5th, 2019

I looked up Holiday Watchdog and across the top of the page in bold letters it says THIS HOTEL IS NOW CLOSED. I have tried to contact them as we are not closed. After 10 years TripAdvisor also cancelled our listing without letting us know they said we did not comply. After many emails we will now be reinstated on TripAdvisor under THINGS TO DO, but still have no means of removing Holiday Watchdog's false claims. We have lost business due to false claims and having our listing with lovely reviews removed.

pauls538
March 24th, 2018

We researched and requested a holiday booking at an advertised price only to have the owner come back and offer a "quote" for the same dates around 25% higher. Of course we declined and the owner claims this is how the site works. To me it amounts to false advertising. Don't waste your time and use a site which honors the price advertised. Note that the same property is still advertising the same dates at a much lower price, obviously just to lure people in. AVOID

ronc44
March 17th, 2015

Firstly as an owner don`t bother trying contacting by email they just ignore it. Secondly they are becoming very greedy in that if you don`t agree to them handling your booking and taking deposits you are penalised by your listing appearing at the very end of hundreds of other listings even though they say it changes regularly.

You have no ability to personally contact perspective clients as all emails go through them and finally penalised by not contacting would be guests within 24 hours notwithstanding the fact that anything up to 12/18 hrs can be lost in world time zones.

Take a leaf out of Home Away

Don`t

josephg304
April 1st, 2019

Trip Advisor and Holiday Lettings should feature on a Scam Watchdog type of program, this is a complete FRAUDULENT Company.
There is absolutely no way of contacting them.
Stay well clear of them DO NOT BOOK with this company.
You have no come back, you cannot speak to anyone, you cannot email anyone.
AVOID...

alexandrosa2
March 5th, 2018

Scam!
I made two bookings through the site and both of them were canncelled by the owner of the property. No problem with that.
However, the site has not yet returned the deposit that I paid. A month has passed since the cancellation, and they say that they cannot return my money due to technical problems. Furthermore, communication is virtually impossible.
Stay away

markj216
July 4th, 2017

I advertised 3 properties with HL. Having outsourced their customer services dept overseas I find it impossible to receive any help or understanding of whatever question or problem I have had.
The price of my subscription listings having been increased by 75% over 3 years is another reason to avoid them.
They are squeezing the business to inflate short term profits to flog it to some unsuspecting mug buyer.

3 years ago 5 stars, now 1.

pauld237
June 11th, 2017

Advertised since 2015. No issues last year paid direct into my bank.
This year I have been advised that payment has been sent however 15 days later I am still waiting.
The company have stated 3 different payment dates, I have spent 20 hours on phone and sent numerous emails.
My cottage is booked June, July and August we simply can't let cottage free and will be cancelling all bookings
Do not use this company, they tell lies have appalling service and don't pay

andrewk250
November 10th, 2018

Go through their booking and enter card details process three times, good dates are available. Every time the owner came back and said it's not available. I can't try again I've no funds free in my bank (potentially for the next 7 days if I'm lucky) and the bank blocked my card for fraud to boot.

alexd207
May 22nd, 2018

Since TripAdvisor bought this company they have reduced it to 'don't go there' outfit for owners. Will keep all monies paid until 2 days into rental, and then inform you that a further 5 days is needed to reach your bank. If the customer cancels gets a full refund at any time, if the owner cancels it is £120. Trying to contact anybody by phone is futile, they never answer emails. I had a booking for 18th September 2018 - deposit £250 paid in May 2017 - but I will receive this money about 25th September 2018.
And the booking fee which did not exist in 2017 is enormous - I receive £575, they charge £681.
But don't try querying why as they could not care less - just leave.

kibrisi
June 15th, 2017

HL has "bounced" its payments to me 7 times. This is the first time I have used HL/TA. So far they have bounced their payment 4 times for my first guest and 3 times for the second. Only businesses that are insolvent act like this. I have cancelled the other bookings so HL has wrecked their holidays too. It is beyond words to describe their dishonesty in dealing with me. As described elsewhere, contacting their customer "support" is like trying to grab a piranha swimming in oil.

garyc357
September 18th, 2018

This company which comes under the general umbrella of TripAdvisor along with Flipkey & a few others are to be avoided at all costs. They offer no customer support when things go wrong & the whole booking aspect is dodgy to say the least. I booked a stay that was accepted by the owner within 24hours who then came back the next day & tried to claim another 50% on top of the agreed price. I rejected the claim online as I was told I could & the booking was confirmed. I paid the full balance but when I came to access the property the owner said it had been cancelled. I complained to Holiday lettings after eventually finding the contact number on a forum. The staff who are based in India don't care one bit. I was left having to accept an inferior property in a $#*!ty area with only 1 bedroom. My claim for payment protection as per their website was rejected & the whole experience ruined my holiday. They take their booking fee & move on not worrying about the customer. Use AirBNB or VRBO.

lindag222
August 14th, 2017

The worst service ever.
Really bad -I cant say more.
You cannot get hold of them -when you finally do -they say ridiculous things like -our platform is not compatible with apple as an excuse for not sending any of the enquiries

ianh158
December 3rd, 2018

I booked an apartment in Tenerife through Holidaylettings for January 2019. For family reasons I needed to change the arrival date by 1 day. In the web site there is a section to do this, however that request goes to the owner. If the owner (as in this case) refuses to answer the request, nothing happens. I made numerous calls to the Holiday Lettings Customer Support (what a joke) and they tried to contact the owner to get him to reply. He claimed he was Russian, there was language barrier, and he didn't understand. Bull$#*!! He's already sent me e-mails explaining how to pick up the keys etc. he understands English perfectly. So, now I want to cancel. All of a sudden the Russian agrees to my changes! Sorry mate, too late, you've had your chance, I don't trust you and don't want to stay in your apartment.
I contact customer support again, but unfortunately I cannot cancel without losing my deposit! Even though that owner was refusing to answer all correspondence! What a sham, what a scam. I wouldn't book another apartment through this web site if you paid me and good luck to anyone else who does. I have lost 235 Euros for something that wasn't my fault. The customer support was a disgrace and no help whatsoever.

gaynorw1
February 8th, 2016

Taken over by Big Brother Tripadvisor, it has become too big. I have had 4 inquiries since Sept 2015. At this time of year I am usually run off my feet answering inquiries, now it's all gone quiet. At over £400 fee for the year that works our at £100 per inquiry so far. I will not be renewing next year but have to bite the bullet this year. Owners beware. Is there an Owners forum out there?

I totally agree, as an owner of 4 properties advertised and who totally disagrees with Online Payment Protection and all the problems it creates (just read the trust pilot reviews) all of my properties are constantly on the back pages as I do not have the OPP stamp on them, as I pay an annual fee for all of them and most of the others are 'free listing' whereby Holiday Lettings gets a large commission on each booking, I am disgusted at the new system, especially as I have been a loyal customer since 2008. Don't bother advertising with the other big names out there, they have just changed their system and its even worse.

By christine M.