Review of HealthCare.gov

Baltimore, MD 21244
Tel: 1-800-318-2596

jackg88
12/10/17

First of all, it took me about an hour to log into the website after running into a slew of problems resetting my account. However foolishly, I thought that was the worst part but I was wrong. Now I'm waiting for my identify to be verified after putting in my information and it won't let me continue. Everytime I try again, I essentially have to start the whole thing over. This website and its security protections are a completely mess! I've now spent over half a day and still don't know when I'll finish.

wandam42
12/7/17

There was a discrepancy in the details of my plan on the marketplace versus my insurance site for 2018. I was trying to find out which sites information I should trust before I commit for 2018. The representative said she couldn't understand my sh*t and hung up on me. How hard is it to understand my plans description on the marketplace was different than the insrance website? That person should be fired, but who do I complain to?

vl555
12/3/17

I lost my full-time job and my health insurance coverage along with it (Aetna POS Choice II, a VERY expensive plan for me personally despite employee sponsorship, with an endless series of bills for the services I availed in 2016-17). My Dec 2017 COBRA payment due was around $1600/-. I am still unemployed, and my wife has a modest income as a music instructor. I HAD to find cheaper options, and from Dec 1. I found one Healthcare.gov that suited my needs, I got a bunch of options and I chose the one that made most sense for me (Horizon BCBS) with a premium of around $ 1150/- for one month - saving me around $400/-. The reason my premium was still high was because of our combined income for 2017 was well above the threshold set by ACA.

For 2018 however, it was a different story. Our projected income for next year is expected to drop precipitously, and so we qualified for a substantial subsidy. The cheapest plan came with a premium of $0.92 per month after a hefty subsidy. There were a few more like that with a premium of less than $ 10.00 per month. We were all rubbing our eyes in disbelief, and even suspected that all this might turn out to be too good to be true. NOT! We verified (called the 24*7 Customer Service line) , and found this to be true and correct. We chose a plan that was just right for our family, and completed the entire application process, including uploading the supporting documents, in about 15 minutes. It was quite an amazing experience. My past employer's Insurer (Aetna) was nowhere near this user-friendly. Healthcare.gov was the hands-down winner. No question.

Here is the icing on the cake - the fabulous Customer Service. During the course of my checking out plans and enrollment for Dec 2017 and 2018, I had to call Customer Service (1-800-315-2596) several times considering some complications in my application arising from a family situation. EVERY time that I called, the Rep who spoke to me was genuinely friendly, extremely patient while answering the several questions I had, and was very knowledgeable. If they did not know the answer to something, or were not sure, they would put me on hold for a minute or two to research the website or speak to a Supervisor, and then circle back with me. The quality was the SAME regardless of the time of the day or the day of the week that I called.

Folks, please trust my word on this. The ACA is a GODSEND for folks like me, who need health insurance badly, but simply cannot afford it when faced with extenuating family situations and genuine financial hardships. I am sure that there are millions out there who are in far worse shape than I am, and perhaps they need insurance even more badly than I do. I sincerely hope this great service is not gutted by short-sighted political motivations.

chingm1
11/28/17

I didn't even get to log into the website and I already hate it. Forgot my password from last year so I tried to reset it. They ask for my email address... I enter it... Receive an email... Click on the given link... Answer 3 security questions, then it goes to a screen which asks for my email so they can send me another link to reset my password... I enter my email... I click on the given link... AND IT'S 3 SECURITY QUESTIONS, AND IT ASKS FOR MY EMAIL TO SEND ME THE SAME LINK. WHAT?!! GET IT RIGHT

glenm50
11/27/17

Website is not user friendly. The interface is fine, but it is not intuitive on some key functions. They should set it up to inform you, clearly, when the system is about to drop you. Customer service reps need to be much more trained and knowledgeable.

jenniferd235
11/16/17

When I called to update my 2018 application the lady updated my 2017 application and typed in that our wrong financial information (half a million dollars wrong!) Which kicked out our current eligibility. So, I received a bill for the month of December for over $600 due to an error on Healthcare.gov! Now, they say I need to file an Appeal! Thats absurd!!

adamh132
11/14/17

I haven't had insurance in over a decade because my employers never offer it
(I've always worked with small businesses). So after getting screwed by the penalty two years in a row I finally decide to give it a shot and apply for Health Coverage using HealthCare.gov . What an absolute waste of time. After all the time I spent filling out the information when I finally get to the marketplace I look at the plans and the cheapest plan is nearly HALF MY INCOME. I'm sorry. I'm not about to sell my house and give up paying my mortgage just so I can have health insurance. I thought it was supposed to be AFFORDABLE healthcare!?!? It's a joke. Completely and utterly ridiculous. This is an absolute plague on the American people.

justj4
10/25/17

I am so sick of the run around with canceling a policy. I was told to call the marketplace then I was told to call the insurance I was with and nobody had a damn clue what was going on! Im sick of feeling like a dog chasing my own tail and getting absolutely nowhere!! I shouldnt have to call in and find out what in the world is going on and then reescate an issue! Smh worst experience with health care policies! Customer service reps are mostly kind and willing to help but I feel there needs to be a better protocol put into place for these representatives so they dont feel as stressed and lost as the customer.

destinyy
10/23/17

I am just so impressed with the site and the people who answer their phones. Honestly, I've called on two separate occasions and they have gone above and beyond to help me and get me lined up with my first time health care. I'm so grateful!

julieb252
10/23/17

I have been trying to solve problems with Healthcare.gov and Ambetter since 8/2/2017. I have never been more frustrated in my life. I have spent countless hours on the phone with zero result in the end. I have yet to speak to a person who can actually solve a problem. I cannot believe these people are getting paid with our tax dollars. Each time I call I am given different information.

I completely 2nd this review:I wish I could give this place a zero, not one person there is even remotely capable of using their heads. I have called in many times to have my information updated. Never once does it happen. I have paid by credit card online through market place, I even get a confirmation code, not once has it gone through and no-one can help you. so I pay by check now. tonight I get online to update my info because I moved, and of course it doesn't work, so I call in, the person on the other line I could hardly hear, he has no record of me whatsoever, EVEN THOUGH I'M ONLINE, so I have to give him an old application number so he can find me. HOW PATHETIC!!! And after an hour on the phone... I still have the incorrect address. I would sooner pull teeth than call this place. IT'S A JOKE!!!

And this review:
Every single time I call the marketplace- every employee tells me something different. I have wasted hours upon hours talking to incompetent individuals from Healthcare.gov who cannot help me. The information that I'm given is so inconsistent that it doesn't even seem that healthcare.gov/Obamacare employees are trained. Through these phone lines- I've received the worst customer service I've ever been provided with.

susanm351
10/16/17

We lived without insurance for ten years. Not everyone in US in born to work in a corporate offices.
I had a major surgery. It is all covered. I will not be alive, writing to you, just because present Obama cared about human life.
This system save millions of life but skimpy one from Trump...won't.

maryp221
10/13/17

Hi agree. One representative explained that my $5200 deductible meant that the company immediately paid 80% of all medical expenses and the client paid only 20% until they reach $5200 out-of-pocket.Then the coverage is at 100%. As it turns out, the client pays the first $5200 for any surgical procedures as an inpatient or outpatient. Never trust the poorly trained individual that represents the company. Check your policy. Review a written online version of your benefits before you join.

stephaniel111
10/9/17

kimm302
9/27/17

shawne38
9/13/17

If you are in Texas contact me I can help you avoid this open market health insurance. jse 88 @ yahoo

johnp605
9/5/17

Started to receive coverage from new employer. So i terminated my policy on the website since I kept getting disconnected when trying to cancel over the phone. I then realized that the termination date was set for the following month after an automatic payment was deducted from my account. Called to change the cancellation and they said they can not change termination date if it was done online, only if it was done over the phone. Also, said there is no one that can help and no one to transfer me to, was very rude during the process. Spent an extra $512 on coverage I did not need this month. Spent hours on the phone trying to get someone to help, no one knew how to fix this problem, which should have been an easy fix.

torib13
8/22/17

If you're wanting health insurance, go straight to provider. My husband and I have put up with so much bs from the people who work there. I called 3-4 months ago to get my date of birth changed because my husband told them the wrong year and they hassled me about it for awhile and then told me it was done. I called about a month ago and they said my date of birth had been submitted. Well I talked to someone today and they said there has not been anything submitted. I now have bills going to collections between January and July because they won't let me change my date of birth without it being a hassle. My husband is self employed and they asked him for pay stubs in order to submit our application/enrollment. He's SELF EMPLOYED. You don't get pay stubs. Aside from all of that, it's even more frustrating when the person you're talking to can't even speak English correctly. Long story short... don't use the health marketplace!

alb1975
8/16/17

You need a new staff. This company is a rip off, customer service reps do not give all of the details once a plan is picked. Managers are rude.

traciz1
8/15/17

Fix your site! Your site is not updated and include a place to make payments to this crappy Insurance that I was told have to go to their site to pay. I think you folks ought to go on Obama Care rather than sitting up their high and mighty in London, KY.
Nobody and read and comprehend let alone have critical thinking skills. Marketplace always need more information but if they would read they already have what they resquest!

erics241
8/10/17

As if health insurance was not difficult enough. The geniuses at the government decided to make the process almost impossible to navigate. There is nothing the government can't make worse by getting involved. This act also went against the will of the people. The only way the Supreme Court could justify its existence was to call this a tax. This is taxation without representation and is not what this country was founded on. Taxation is leagalized theft performed by brainless bought and paid for thugs in congress.

sallyj34
7/31/17

Yes, I'll admit, I waited until the last minute to apply for my health insurance but it was doable and shouldn't have been an issue. I moved to a new state so my health insurance had to be changed. I spent the majority of my day today talking on the phone to a healthcare.gov employee (the best one I have ever talked to) trying to accomplish getting my enrollment completed. The site crashed in the middle of my process and still has not been fixed. I continued to try to get on the site periodically throughout the day but it was still down. I called them at 11:15 pm for the second time today with an automated recording telling me my wait time was 30 minutes. I waited over an hour for someone to answer and by that time it was no longer July but August 1st. I was then told "they gave me a special enrollment period and I have until September to enroll for my new insurance" but the other week when I spoke with them they had me cancel my health insurance so it ended July 31st knowing the new one would start August 1st so now I have no health insurance coverage for a month. I have medicine I have to take everyday and have to see a doctor to have it prescribed, this is beyond unacceptable. Even though it is their fault that I couldn't complete my enrollment in a timely fashion on July 31st and then lied about my wait time to speak with someone, they say their system won't allow it to be adjusted correctly. Who runs the system? Humans! How is a computer the one dictating these scenarios? When I told this person I wanted to speak to someone in management that could correct this issue they put me on hold and then hung up on me after I was on hold and then speaking with them for an hour and 18 minutes. They asked for my phone number at the very beginning of my call so they should have called me back after that scenario. I'm soooo angry about this whole ordeal. And to add fuel to the fire, while I was on hold for 54 minutes they made me listen to music that is loud, staticky and does nothing to make me feel good about waiting that long-with all the money they get from their health insurance scams that they produce they should at least give options like apple does-music choices that play clearly or just wonderful silence while you wait for someone to answer. F**K you healthcare.gov. You are not kind, caring, helpful or doing anything to take care of my health. F**K YOU!!!!! Rating is truly a negative 500.

lindaw263
7/24/17

Healthcare Market Place is a big JOKE! You do everything they require you get phone calls and emails and letters saying they need more. You call they have no clue what they are doing. Can't give you a straight answer. They tell you are qualified then you get a phone wanting more info. What a waste of time. If your going to force people to take crap they don't want you need to educate the employees. Don't even deserve one star!

despinak1
7/12/17

The healthcare marketplace is a JOKE. They enrolled me in a healthcare plan that I DID NOT CHOOSE and now they will not fix their mistake. Also, I am six months pregnant dealing with this nonsense. I will never go through this website ever again and I hope that they go down for the fraud they have caused me and so many other customers.

joshs91
7/11/17

I got laid-off from my job about a mouth ago and I called for Obamacare and I have to pay to get Insurance coverage. I thought Obamacare was supposed to help you? I paid my Taxes and I still have to pay for Obamacare? I should have free Insurance daring my job loss! not paying for something that I cant afford during this time. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH ARE COUNTRY! You idiots that voted for Barack Obama, Thank you, you $#*!ing idiots! Now I'm going to get penalized for something I can't afford right now but people that don't work get hand out for everything what's wrong with this picture?

benh108
7/11/17

My wife had healthcare through healthcare.gov and I lost my insurance through my job. So, obviously I applied for insurance through healthcare.gov through special enrollment. I selected only myself in this application since my wife already had insurance. Low and behold...my wife is sent a letter saying that they received her request to terminate insurance. Never in the application did it state that my application would terminate my wife's insurance. Nor does it make sense to add my wife to my application when she already has insurance! We contacted the marketplace several times over the course of two weeks and many of the people seemed to be at a loss of what we should do, other than have me redo my application and add my wife since she cannot apply since she does not qualify for special enrollment. Sound complicated? It is, and quite honestly I sympathize with many of the workers who have to deal with this system. Our solution was to redo my application, add my wife, and of course our available healthcare options were not the previous plans that we had. This means that we are paying a higher premium for health insurance that we do not use (except peace of mind) and my wife is still without insurance until next month.

Tip for consumers: Call someone from the marketplace and do your application over the phone. That way if it gets messed up you can file an escalation and they should be required to fix it for you. It takes way longer but you should be able to be covered if they mess something up. Although there is little you can do legally if they decide not to help you since it is a government organization.

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

BECAUSE THEY ARE UNEDUCATED IGNORANT PEOPLE THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT HIRED. TRUMP NEEDS TO FIRE ALL THEM AND SHUT THIS DOWN. THEY HAVE YET AGAIN SCREWED UP MY PLAN AND MY DAUGHTERS 15 CALLS LATER AND I RENEWED IN NOVEMBER ...THEY DELETED ME AND PUT MY DAUGHTER...JERKS THEN GAVE HER A MESSED UP PLAN

By SARA A.

BECAUSE MARKETPLACE NEEDS SHUT DOWN

By SARA A.
Questions? Get answers from the HealthCare.gov staff and other customers.

HealthCare.gov?