Review of HealthCare.gov

Baltimore, MD 21244, US
Tel: 1-800-318-2596

sherriel18
1/30/19

Unbelievably helpful, extremely patient. Went step by step with me to explain the process, and I felt heard, I have felt this way every time I've called, and most important I now have affordable health insurance.

tomd329
1/29/19

I have cancelled my policy in August 31 but the did not do nothing with it so the had me pay for 4 months I did not have though bc/bs so the cancelled my policy for the year and want do nothing for it

staceyb116
1/29/19

I have been attempting to log on for MONTHS. I have requested my user name mo many times it is ridiculous and I have gotten not one single email from this group. The help desk person I spoke with, while friendly, was completely useless and new less about the website that I did. Even after reporting what is a pretty major issue, 4 months later the problem is ongoing. And i've seen more than one review that mentions this rather glaring inability to send an email to a link.

jasonb656
1/28/19

If I could give this site negative stars I would, but unfortunately 1 star is a low as I can go. Their phone support isn't any better. This is the 2nd greatest fraud perpetuated on the American people. The administration that produced this scam is the greatest fraud we have had to endure.

maggiem153
1/25/19

if you have this insurance with a low income job, you can rock it out all year long and get the subsidy if SINGLE. When you marry even for the last month the insurance is held you have to pay back the total premium paid for you of 5 or 6 thousand dollars when taxes are filed . If you file by yourself you don't qualify unless joint. Well joint puts you well over there brackett of money either way your out 5 grand at the end the yr. Even if your subsidy is zero that you pay to them all yr long or you don't need and use any of there insured money for the year.

johnp1294
1/14/19

Really screwed those of us that are individuals making good money in our own business and already paying in the top tax bracket. I get the idea of wanting to get health insurance for everyone that can't afford it. Isn't that what medicaid is supposed to be? This method screwed the rest of us. Far less options available and no freedom to get the insurance you want. The carriers in the marketplace are horrible bottom feeders. Also noticed the attention and detail of the doctors has gone way downhill since all this started and they get their costs cut and have to do way more paperwork. So the bottom feeder insurance companies win and the patients all lose.

I tolerated this crap and signed up every year for my plan. The last two years we had issues where the insurance company said it didn't receive the enrollment payment that I paid online when signing up through the site. Last year they fixed it, this year not yet. The payment was clearly made in November and charged to my card. Finally got to the point that the insurance company incorrectly applied it to last year and now I have a credit for last year but they show no payment for enrollment. Waiting for them to fix it and going without insurance in the meantime.

Ask healthcare.gov to help since I enrolled through them and they can't help. Useless. We were forced into this crappy system and they can't even do their job. So I was hoping this year we'd have more options for carriers since the law changed but in my area its still the same bottom feeders. Hopefully some of the better carriers will be back soon. Won't be using healthcare.gov for anything anymore either way. Not sure why I ever did go through the web site since I don't qualify for any discounts or anything.

Then on top of all of that every year when I sign up through healthcare.gov I start getting phone calls from telemarketers every day trying to sell their health insurance. Not sure if healthcare.gov sells our information or gets hacked. First year it happened I didn't tie it together but when it happened each year thereafter its obvious. Other people complain about it and all healthcare.gov says is its probably security on our computer. Complete BS. I use VPN technology all the time and I never have issues except right after I submit the application at healthcare.gov.

And I'm not an Obama hater. I liked Obama for a lot of things but this is not one of them. The idea might have been good but the method to get there and the execution were terrible and to this day it is still the most frustrating thing. I remember what doctors and health insurance used to be like. Maybe not great but 100 times better than we have now. We'll never get back to that.

Just like many other people who are able to do it we leave the country for anything. Stupid ACA didn't realize how pushing people in that direction was going to take money away from doctors and insurance in the U.S. Decided to go with no insurance this year. Everyone says its crazy but you need to do the math if your like me and not qualifying for any discount.

We live close to the border so for anything thats not an emergency cross the border and you get the care you need from more attentive doctors for the same price as your copays. People say what about an emergency, e.g. a heart attack. Scary at first right? A heart attack can cost about $150K. But if you tell the hospital you are uninsured it gets switched to self pay and a hefty discount. Nothing special because the insurance companies all negotiate the original price down to about 10% of what the hospital asks for anyway. Then if you tell them you can pay all at once its another huge discount. Get that bill down to about $30K. Sounds like a lot but if you had bottom feeder insurance do you think you'd walk away without paying anything? You'd still end up paying about $15K out of pocket. So if I do have a heart attack I lose $15K. But will I have one this year? Next year? When will it happen? Save and invest those premiums (nearly $10K a year for us) during that time and you'll have more than $15K.

So this year since we're not forced to buy insurance or pay a penalty we are just not buying any insurance. Thats the way to go for us and a lot of other people and that just further drives a hole through this bottom feeding insurance practice that we've gotten stuck with.

Not saying everyone should do that but do your research. Look at how low you can negotiate hospital bills for everything on your own. People do it all the time. Don't just be scared of that $150K emergency and be tricked into buying crap you don't need. If the insurance and the doctors were any good I'd buy but what we have today is just crap so why would anyone want to buy it.

The catch to the plan is that if you have a pre-existing condition it may be hard to get insurance if you want/need it in the future. But at least for now these same bottom feeders have to accept pre-existing conditions through the market place. So you can always go back. Until that changes or we have better insurance options I'm going to keep going without insurance.

jamesd799
12/29/18

I see a lot of negative reviews on here that are unfounded.

1. The site is easy to use. Once the application is done (which takes about 10 minutes), all our choices are laid out in a straightforward way.

2. This website has no control over prices or subsidies, so to give it one star for something it doesn't control is ridiculous.

3. Every time I've called their customer service, I've had very helpful converseations with people who were patient and kind.

joes1018
12/26/18

Terrible terrible site. Just like anything paid with taxpayers money, is poorly designed and executed. Frequent problems logging in, redundant and confusing at times, bandwidth issues causing crashes and so much more. Highly paid government contractors putting together a piece of garbage that is supposed to be used for less than two months and actually work for those 2 months.

lauram624
12/17/18

So my employer offers a "minimum value plan" for $268/mo - it only covers ME, not my kids. The cheapest family plan is almost $600/mo which is half a paycheck. But because my company offers some crap plan I cannot afford, I am DENIED for any subsidy here, and also not eligible for Medicaid assistance. (Neighbor makes $58K/year and they get great plan on here for $170/mo for their family. I make $38K and support 3 kids but CANNOT GET INSURANCE.) That loophole should have been addressed by Congress, I'm sure it affects a LOT of working moms. Also the healthcare.gov customer service reps are poorly trained and not very knowledgeable or polite.

jz44
12/15/18

I received an email from this website, advising me to update my information. So, I clicked on the link, but couldn't remember the user name or password. So I clicked on links to have them resend both to my email address. No auto response emails were ever received. Not worried, and I can find other ways to waste time, so the website was permanently blocked; and I didn't look back.

maryb975
12/15/18

I recently loss my job with NO CURRENT income. Not sure when unemployment will kick in. They said I didn't qualify for the free or reduced coverage but I did qualify for the marketplace? How can I enroll in the marketplace when I have NO INCOME? Even if I did get it, I wouldn't be able to afford it. Not fair at all.

Last year when I tried to enroll, I missed the enrollment. I couldn't afford healthcare with my job because the premiums were so expensive. They even suggested local health services but you know something...I was talking to someone who told me they just came here two months before and they got all this help. How is this possible? So, when I think about that plus my experience with this...you tell me how this is fair? I've wanted to go to the doctor for months but can't because I couldn't afford to now I still can't go.

The intention of healthcare.gov is good but you seriously need to evaluate what isn't fair or working.

shaunb54
12/14/18

They are a rip off. The gov should not be running our health care they cannot do it right. Have a free market. I cannot afford any of the plans on there. I had to go with a medi share company to get something for our safety. Please fix the health care in this country asap.

lucindaw6
12/13/18

What a load of crap! I was excited to learn that I would qualify for $583 a month in health subsidies. That should be enough to cover premiums on a good plan for one person. I quickly learned that wasn't enough to cover premiums on this truly worthless insurance. I would still have to pay $113 a month for insurance that covered absolutely nothing no dr visits or labs ECT until the insured paid over $7,000 in deductions. $150 would let me see the Dr. For $30 which sounded good until I did the math and figured I see my dr and get labs 4 times a year which would be about a years worth of premiums plus I'd be paying the $30 per dr visits. If I need extra work I'd have to pay $6,000 before the insurance paid for anything more. A complete waist of money.

janed447
12/12/18

If you think that most Americans can afford these premiums, you are sadly mistaken. I spent nearly an hour gathering information and filling out this form. FOR WHAT????? These premiums are more than my mortgage and my car note put together. Never again will I be fooled by this garbage. My rating is a big fat ZERO - NO STARS.

charlesm538
12/6/18

Got an email when it was time to renew. Didn't think anything of it so I filled out my application and thought things would be fine. How long does it take to send m information to my state agency? I tried calling their number and it was this weird rapid beeping/static.

changz3
11/28/18

I am an agent helping people apply health plans via healthcare.gov.
I have a client who has a dependent but only applies health plan for herself (for 3 years now). This year her son changed his name, and I couldn't remove her son with old name and add him back with new name. I also tried to remove the automatically generated 2019 application, but I couldn't. WTF!
Over $billion taxpayers' money was spent on thus bad website. Totally waste taxpayers' money!

christinet146
11/15/18

They are wonderful when you call them so willing to help.
Thanks so much Ashley!
I had a problem with my filing and Ashley took as much time as needed to get it done.

kimberlym143
11/15/18

I went to healthcare.gov for insurance and got a quote. The next thing I know I'm getting calls up to 50 times a day about insurance.

marqueritea
9/20/18

Horrible, Horrible !
I signed up for healthcare in August. Then in September they signed me up on another plan without my knowledge, know I have 2 plans. Didn't know until I made my payment and it was more then double the amount. There cancelled out for good!

ashleyq8
9/18/18

In May I moved from Oregon to Michigan and needed to get new insurance. I worked with an agent who was super helpful and started an online application for me. But then the application wasn't submitted and I could not reach him for weeks no matter how hard I tried. It was time to enroll so I went into the website to select my plan based on what we'd discussed. Only I accidentally picked "Detroit Metro" and I do not live in Detroit Metro. After figuring out the issue when there were no doctors in my area I went in and opened a new application for the correct plan. I should have changed the previous one but only found that out later. I got the correct plan a month later. But the old applications are still in there. Now, when I log into the website I can only see the application for the Detroit Metro plan. And, I keep receiving mail about the application the agent submitted, saying I "can't enroll at this time". I get two letters every month. However, THERE IS NO WAY TO ACCESS THE APPLICATION THAT IS TIED TO THE PLAN I AM ACTUALLY ENROLLED IN. Called the service line and they were absolutely no help at all, completely condescending and only giving me an option to Remove the old application and screw up my tax forms. I did it anyway since they could offer me no alternative to access my correct application, and it didn't even go through. They said wait 24 hours and check back. For a website service an entire country and be this terrible is a travesty. This is not an assault on Obamacare, I am for it. But whoever build this website was in way over their head and has no experience with information architecture. Our tax dollars shouldn't pay for this crap, and for all the agents required to help users navigate what should be a simple process. I never thought my insurance experience would be the tipping point to pull the trigger and get married but I guess that's what this has come to. So frustrated.

mariaa297
9/5/18

Absolutely rude and poor customer service. They have no issues hanging up on customers. Save yourself the trouble and pay cash

lisam865
9/5/18

Enrolling is a PAIN, then when you actually DO get a job with REAL health benefits, they cancel on their schedule, not yours - meaning that they show you had coverage thru them when you may have had coverage through an employer - yep, double coverage.

Enrolling in this plan may seem great, but it is NOT, and it is NOT required. You will be penalized for not having coverage, but the penalty overall would probably be way less than the premiums, which are actually deducted from any tax return you MIGHT have had otherwise.

Customer service reps are RUDE and practically scream at you on the phone.

My advice - STAY AWAY - pay the penalty and visit a cash clinic should you need to see a doctor.

robertg685
8/31/18

We have had Obama Care for nearly 3 years. It is overly expensive and offers poor coverage for the price. This year our insurance was cancelled in mid May for no apparent reason. We fully pay our insurance at the beginning of each month. May was no different. My wife tried to use our insurance at the end of May and found it had been cancelled. We learned it was for non-payment but payment was made. The insurance company finally agreed and refunded our money but could not reinstate our insurance. We appealed but still do not have health insurance (after 3 months). Obamacare is an expensive and horrible program run by a bunch of incompetent fools.

sp150
8/29/18

I bought my family health insurance through market place. First of all they sell you something which is not even worth paying. If you call their customer service for help they are rude. They don't want to help, all they need is your business. I WANTED TO CANCEL MY INSURACE BUT I COULDNOT BECUSE I HAVE TO PAY A PENALTY FOR CANCELING IT. I have to keep it for whole year that's the only way I can cancel it so now I have to pay my premium every month even tho I don't want to.
ALL I CAN SAY THEY R CHEAT, FROUD AND LIAR. Do not get health insurance through them.

monroem30
8/27/18

I reported them for fraud to the ATTY general and the medicare and medicaide fraud departments. I suggest you all do the same.
In My Opinion
This company while using a .gov address is NOT a government agency but a privately owned company that goes under at least 10 different names that I have found by a simple search online.
I see that they "enroll" people one month until about the 23rd or 24th of each month NEW ENROLEES which they get paid for! All of the sudden their status changes and they are NOT enrolled and there are papers missing applications incomplete (even though a make payment invoice had been sent. Some people paid only to be denied and payment is "credited" to the account. NO REFUNDS!
This is a situation I would steer clear from and go STRAIGHT TO THE MEDICAIDE offices and apply there with a person at hand avoiding this THIRD FOURTH party companies WHO BTW DO NOT NEED THE SAME SECURITY MEASURES with your personal info.
Ask yourself why does PA use a company in Kentucky who's call centers are in Fl. and elsewhere. BECAUSE the laws have not caught up with the new Ins. Programs there is little to no oversight. No accountability Just the wild west of data gathering and IMO data selling YOU SEE THEY ARE NOT PART OF HIPPA so your info is theirs to sell to the highest bidder....While charging the government IE> YOU AND ME THE TAX PAYERS!!!
In my opinion

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

BECAUSE THEY ARE UNEDUCATED IGNORANT PEOPLE THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT HIRED. TRUMP NEEDS TO FIRE ALL THEM AND SHUT THIS DOWN. THEY HAVE YET AGAIN SCREWED UP MY PLAN AND MY DAUGHTERS 15 CALLS LATER AND I RENEWED IN NOVEMBER ...THEY DELETED ME AND PUT MY DAUGHTER...JERKS THEN GAVE HER A MESSED UP PLAN

By SARA A.

BECAUSE MARKETPLACE NEEDS SHUT DOWN

By SARA A.

I have Ambetter Health insurance this year for 2016 i have found out that ambetter in Texas is a scam the doctors listed under the insurance.are refusing to accept the insurance because the are having.problems collecting money because of this i can not fine a doctor under this program i even check further and found complaints under the BBB website. due i have to continue paying NOWING NOW THAT THIS IS A SCAM.

By Elnora L.

Questions? Get answers from the HealthCare.gov staff and other customers.

HealthCare.gov?