Review of Guru

Tel: 866-449-9237
info@guru.com

guptad
10/18/18

i worked here great here is great deal with employee and freelancer

realy great site to work here great team of guru.com

i will work again to work here

eashoa
10/10/18

THE WORST experience I have ever had. I was charged $3.50 for no reason other than to verify my credit card. This was done at the end of my posting experience. From there it was billed in USD to my credit card where I have no way of knowing how much was billed (my card is Canadian). It then instructs me to call my bank to get the exchange rate...

The purpose of this service is to save me time not eat up more time.

As far as I am concerned this site is a scam looking for $3.50 and is intentionally designed to look good, but provide not actual value

Use Upwork. Use anything else than live scam.

aayj
10/5/18

You know I just tried on Guru again. Last time, I got two B$##$ clients that got the work done and on higher rates, asked me to converse on skype and as the work was done, a**ho*** never paid my money. Reading the reviews here makes me realize that sorry, majority were scammed too!

charlesd281
9/13/18

Contractor did a great job, paid him through Guru and then came the drama, they will not pay the contractor until we supply copious amounts of information on our company like bank statements etc, info I am not happy supplying.

santoshk24
7/2/18

I have completed my work and get paid through my client but I process the amount to withdraw the GURU.COm held my payment. without any reason. i have written so many time there is no any response I got.

Tip for consumers: NEVER USE GURU.COM

davidr916
6/24/18

I teach at a major university. Guru connected me with some kid in India who did a fine job for my project (editing some class photos w/ Photoshop). I signed off on the project's completion and authorized Guru to pay. Guru emails me a few days later that they need some additional verification information (which it could have asked for at account initiation). I wrote back that "I am at the airport leaving the country for 10 days. I dont have this information handy." Two days later, Guru wrote back "Hello David, I've not heard from you regarding verification of the payment. Therefore, a credit has been issued to your credit card and should be reflected in your account balance within 3 to 5 business days. Your Guru account has been closed." So, I get a free project and the kid in India gets stiffed!! Only through heroic efforts of my secretary do we figure out how to get the account reinstated and the kid paid. The kid wrote back "First of all let me thank you for your crystal clear sincere replied mail. The mail shows your whole hearted attitude you showed sincerely for the loss of the amount that is going to occur to me. But to be very truthful, it was not the loss of the amount I am worried with, but the loss of my first client from Guru.com. Your mail gave me a great strength because I did not lose you. For this I salute you with a huge thanks and never ending gratitude. As you asked regarding the payment. Still it is not updated. Let us wait for some time and see what is happening." He eventually got paid. I think Guru.com's conduct is shameful.

charless428
5/23/18

After reading all of the reviews below I am glad I wasn't able to register with Guru. They are the most mixed up, useless, group that ever started an online site. Very slow response. I think I will stick with UpWork for now.

melc47
5/10/18

I've been a member of Guru.com for several years, and just this year decided to try the platform out. I got a job, was given a 'great work' review and paid $60. Once I tried to withdraw the money, they started processing. A day later they cancelled and put it on hold, citing 'verification processes.' I jumped through the hoops for the Paypal account, but for some very strange reason the only problem was the phone number I gave them: they said they tried to ring me, with a busy signal at the end. I sat waiting with my phone for 3 days, only to receive silence and then a message today: '...it came up as busy and the verification could not be completed. Unfortunately, we could not complete verification with your or your employer. The funds have been returned and the accounts are closed.' In other words, they kept the money. They closed my account and supposedly refunded money to the client for a job well done???!!!? My account has been erased, which means no recourse to the clearly unhelpful Help Desk. This platform used to be respectable and legitimate. Not even close. Freelancers, beware. You won't see your money at the flimsiest of excuses. Mel

amosa14
4/22/18

I hired someone from Guru to do a website for me. Guru required that I put money in the escrow of $615.00. First, they made two small deposits to my account for verification. I verified the 13 cents and 20 cents that were posted to my account. I then transferred $615 to them. After, they requested, my bank statement, cashed checks, voided checks and numbers associated with the account. My bank advised against providing them with all the information that they were requesting but went ahead and provided them with it.
After receiving the information, they blocked my account and told the person I hired to do the work that the money was returned to me because I did not provide verification of account. Fortunately, I had the private email and phone number of the person I hired. I contacted him and provided to him the detailed information of the money I transferred to Guru. When he confronted them with the information, they told me that my bank should request for my money. Wells Fargo my bank told me that since the money was already paid, there was nothing they could do. I spent several days trying in vain to get my money or have the money I sent paid to the person I hired. It was a fruitless effort.
This is my first review of any business. I want to write this perhaps someone may not have to be scammed as I was. Please read other reviews, if I read perhaps I could have avoided them. If you have to use them, please request and get a direct contact number and email of the freelancer just in case they block you out.
I wish you all the LUCK IN THE WORLD if you have to use them.

sharonm277
4/18/18

I added funds to my cash account, then when I needed to withdraw, they charged me a 3.5% fee. It's called a "cash account" as if it was a cash account and since I deposited the full amount, I should be able to withdraw the full amount, just like a real cash account. Not happy.

joanm112
4/5/18

I had a perfectly normal profile, with my cv, services and everything, I had a new client, I invoiced, client paid perfectly and when I tried withdrawaing my money into PayPal, Guru cancelled the transfer and locked the withdrawal option, I can nolonger withdraw my money!!!!!! Horrible, horrible horrible platform, stay away!!!!

ehteshamalh
4/5/18

As a freelancer I've been worked with more then 22 outsourcing sites. But never find any dishonest, cheating activities on other sites accept only GURU.
Freelancer should be aware & very careful. Most possibility to vanish your earnings by site HR without any cause or notice. I'll never work again with the blood-sucker such as GURU.

stevenj88
3/20/18

This site is a U.S. base site but the job market is set for overseas employment in terms of projects. Projects here are around a few hundred dollars. So qualified U.S. contractors cont work on this platform. The customer service is - Meh. Searching for a job here is not good. You can itemize what you're looking for. You just have to do a general search, then filter the penny contracts hoping to find a job. If there is a good paying job it is littered with overseas unqualified applicants. There are many better sites out there. This one is one of the bottom skimmers.

natalliak1
2/27/18

I have never written a website review before but gurus service shocked me.

Here its my first and the only experience with this website. I was hired for a project. I completed it within two days, and the employer payed right away. Then I tried to transfer the money from the guru platform to my credit card, but the transaction failed. I got an email from some Sara saying there was a procedure of checking some information, she was going to get back to me in a couple of days. Then in a couple of days Ive got an email saying they took the money I earned from me, and sent it back to my employer. When I started to ask questions trying to figure out why did it happen, those Sara told there was nothing she could help me with. I completed the project, the employer transferred the money, but guru.com decided not to transfer it to me, and just scammed me. In addition to that they blocked the employers account despite he provided all the necessary data.

Thats not it. My employer tried to recover his account in order to pay me via their platform, and continue hiring freelancers on guru. He was edchanging emails with guru, but looks like they couldnt fix it. After all of that long story he offered to pay me via direct money transfer.

Thats not it yet. In a day or so I got an email from the same Sara saying my employer stated he payed outside the platform, and that was a violation of their terms of use. I clearly understand that, BUT there was no intense to violate their terms. That all happened on guru.coms fault. The employer provided the required data, he tried to transfer the money, but guru didnt accept his data, blocked his account, took money from me, and refused to assist: Sorry, there is nothing we can help you with - were their words. So Sara told if I violate the terms once again they were going to block my account. I was really shocked by that undeserved threat, and told her the whole story was gurus fault - both of the parties (me and employer) were willing to make the payment via gurus platform. You know what happened next? They blocked my account without even noticing me.

Resume: you should be very careful if you want to work with guru.com. According to the earlier feedbacks Im not the first one who was scammed by them.

carolinet29
1/11/18

Although the concept makes sense, the user experience on this platform is extremely poor and not very well thought out. The solution that's being solved is smart, but the construct and built of this design is too complicated to use - would not recommend the use of this site.

abigailo8
12/23/17

His Skype is paul.ricky 81, feel free to message him and generally scold him. Put about 8-9 hours of writing into projects and articles of his (for really, really good pay) only for him to ghost on me and not pay. Just messaged guru but I don't see how they could help. But hey, at least I'm not that person that wrote a 40,000 word book (!!) for a client only for them to ghost. Wow.

laiyuanl
11/30/17

Awesome Result and full of reliable and skillful developers.
Upwork and Freelancer is getting worse than Guru.com
Nowadays many skillful developers are coming in.

kamalb8
11/24/17

Just read Fatima A's review, and she is totally right. I went through the same experience. I also wrote more than 30 articles for Joan Kimberly (sype id:Joan.Kimberly4), and she dissappeared. Guru.com is the worst place to look for a job. I feel cheated, and really dissappointed that I was so naive

fatimaa29
11/7/17

I wrote 50+ articles for a client, and when it was time for my weekly payment I never received it. The client was Joan Kimberly with Skype name: Joan.Kimberly4 from Sarasota United States. I'm never going to be using Guru.com ever again. Highly unreliable and unsafe

harrisons39
10/14/17

Many clients take work without paying for it and Guru.com does NOT help at all. I am a professional writer and technical consultant and feel a responsibility to warn others about the site.

I wrote a 42,000 word book for a client, Rebecca Farlene on guru.com. She took my work without paying and the site was less than helpful. Do not waste your time or effort on Guru.com. Besides facilitating theft of intellectual property, they are rude and disgraceful.

The client stole my work and the site does NOT care at all.

monikn
9/20/17

Sadly I hired someone on this site to do my website.
He seemed competent in his description. After our initial contact, he asked for the first half of the money right up front, so I gave it.
After almost 3 months of not hearing much from him, he told me the website was done and to send him extra money for him to upload it, so I did, but it turned out that he never finished the site and the unfinished file he was trying to upload was not even uploaded properly. He demanded more money to feel motivated and finish the job. After days of stressing, I managed to get some of my money back, but I lost most of it. I would not recommend this site.

melanies77
8/11/17

If you're looking to make money as a freelance writer, don't work here. They allow ads for less than minimum wage, which may appeal to people in India, BUT IS ILLEGAL in the United States. They do not care if you get screwed by scammers. Claim they need proof and say they will never take responsibility. This site and others like it need to be shut down. The owners should be prosecuted. DO NOT SIGN UP HERE. You've been warned.

chrisb239
8/7/17

First of all the tiny bit of good. Guru seems to do some quality control on their job posters. Most jobs are legit from decent people.

Then the bad. The escrow system allows you to automatically bill your client without providing any results. All the money is instantly funneled offshore despite their lies about being located in Philly or NY. You add those two details together and you get a scam site. Where most freelance sites like to scam the contractor Guru goes after it's clients.

fayeh7
7/20/17

I was going to give them my credit card information just to get the bit of data I wanted, and then if the membership fee was high later I would simply cancel. Your explanation of how guru.com works was illuminating. I looked at many reviews, some of them very enthusiastic and some very negative...when I read your particular comments I felt that I understood why this is happening. The negative reviews and the positive reviews confused me at first, and your analysis helped me to decide not to involve myself or give them money. Their materials said that I would have a "trial membership" which would cost $1.00. It was very helpful to know that the "membership" puts you in for more charges through "Automatic continuation". The lines of communication are not clear. I don't know the original intent of the founder of this site, the intent may have been benign or not...but I do know that I don't want to get involved in the struggles others have gone through. Obviously the company wanted to get my credit card information at the very beginning. So when you give them your information thinking that they are going to charge "only $1.00" and then you can "easily cancel", it appears from these comments that once they have your information they could even keep it forever if they so choose. That results in having your information out there and possibly having it hacked. I've heard of so many companies having to write apology letters to customers informing them that the site was hacked and there is no way to prevent your information being used in what-all.They often don't find out who the hackers were. I am so glad that I have been reading reviews and have not given this company my digits. I did give them my email address but no financial information. It appears that to use this site "safely" one must really know what they are dealing with and be prepared for an unnecessary struggle over money....well, that just doesn't fit with me . So I won't "join" this enterprise. There are quite a few positive reviews here of this freelance company and also quite a few negative reviews; but knowing what happened to those who participated (and how the site works) helped me make my decision not to give them my information. Well-written review and very helpful. I am grateful for the reviews, this one actually explained why this site is having problems, along with giving them a low rating. That brought me out of the "it's only $1.00" funk that had been causing me to consider putting in my credit card number.That "only $1.00" tactic is used by many companies.I didn't know that they were also a "job-finding site" and knowing that changes my feelings about the site and the people behind it. I'm not the sort of person who would want to get involved in this, haggling to get your money back, I would have gotten very upset if that happened to me. So I was assessing the risk by coming here and based on what I saw I decided not to take the risk of giving them my financial information. The Internet is a wild, wild place and it helps to see what others have experienced before participating is such a business relationship. They are not just selling information that a person desires and then you get the specific information you wanted, pay $1.00 and then you leave and there is no problem......because the site is set up to get that financial information first. It's a bad business model, with contracted employees who may or may not complete the task honestly and fairly. Some employees may not really know what they are trying to do and may react unprofessionally I hate that. I hate trying to get results if the people involved are not proven to be honest, reliable, and informed. This would have been a terrible choice for someone like me. Your very clear review helped me pull myself out of the attitude that "it's only $1.00" (I was in a trance) and make an informed decision. Thank you so very much!

markk141
7/11/17

I use contractors on many sites. One of my long term contractors wanted to move to Guru. I jumped through their hoops, paid the contractor and then got an email demanding voided checks and copies of statements. When I refused, as everyone should since the statements contain IDEAL data for hijacking a bank account, my account was closed and the freelancer got his money pulled back.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

No, they don't do anything like that. They don't care as long as they get their money.

By Tom J.

Questions? Get answers from the Guru staff and other customers.

4 Photos for Guru