FLX

FLX has a consumer rating of 3 stars from 33 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about FLX most frequently mention customer service and repair tech problems. FLX ranks 12th among Bicycle sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 8.3%

• The customer service is great and helped me through all the questions I had whilst choosing my bike.

• After 6 weeks, I finally got a replacement, and had to pay $75 for a known issue!
How would you rate FLX?

“Great bikes and great service”

jake t.
3/1/20

Ive owned the FLX roadster for three years now and have had no issues! FLX even sent me a new charger when mine didnt appear to be working. I also bought the Miles Board(small carbon fiber electric skateboard) from the same team, and when my remote wasnt working they shipped me another one and just asked for mine back to inspect it.

“Be Careful Guys/Girls!”

Ben M.
12/6/20

Ordered a F5 Trail Bike and it was shipped without pedals or a charger. Still have not received the order and please try and call their home office and get a response. They will not pick up the phone or return an email even when I pretended to try and order another bike. Worst customer service I have ever received for the $$$$$ I spent. Go with another company as their are a ton of options out there.

customer service (3) 6 weeks (3)
benm506
December 6th, 2020

noela50
January 5th, 2021

Ordered in April or early May with "delivery" scheduled for October.
Its January and I'm fairly certain its NEVER coming. Tried to get refund and they're like "sorry bra, (tokes bong), no fret, on its way... some day. Lets go surfing..."

If I could give ZERO stars, I would.

Tip for consumers:
Don't buy

christopherp201
July 17th, 2018

The bike arrived, but the tour package was 6 weeks late. Additionally, the tour package shipment was poorly packed. The box arrived crushed and open, with loose parts inside. There was no documentation, no parts list, and no assembly instruction. For the money, go elsewhere. Do not buy a flx bike.

*Update*
As of yesterday, after multiple chat sessions and a lengthy phone call with support, my problem with flx was resolved in my favor. However, the very friendly support person did not read any of the extensive notes before talking with me, which included the photographs of the damaged shipment.

From purchase to this point, six weeks.

So, i recommend that you reserve time in your life for dealing with after purchase support. In my experience, the best way to get their attention is through chat. You can send a transcript of the exchange to yourself in email. Don't call, even though the option to do so is available. When i called, there was only an electronic music loop, not even a robot saying i had reached flx support, just music, and not very good music at that.

Flx has a good bike to sell, but they know nothing about treating you well if something goes wrong, you must work the support line repeatedly.

Cheers!

Tip for consumers:
try specialized

marcog103
August 18th, 2020

The bikes are pretty good BUT Insanely bad service. They ignore you. For that reason alone, I'd buy elsewhere

johnc5299
September 15th, 2020

The bike itself is a superior product. The accessories are not matched well and don't function with the bike. Kick stand hits your foot, front light clamps unusable, fenders poor quality and service is the worst.

richardd1395
December 17th, 2020

I'm not certain how this is getting a 3 star rating on this site unless their service (non) department is spending it's time writing favorable reviews. Ordered thru the Indie campaign 1st week of Feb. 2020, finally rec'd last day of October 2020. Assembled it and discovered missing parts, ie; bolts for spindle, mounting hardware, no adapter for the Asian plug. Have yet to get the handlebar to tighten properly, and the battery does not secure and lock into place. After strapping the battery in place and trusting my ability to deal with a loose handlebar (I'm old and I've ridden across the States twice and once across Canada) it frankly isn't a good ride. And I've yet to have a single young member of either sex tell me what a 'sexy' Babymaker it is. Plan to donate it to the local co-op and let them part it out.

jaket31
March 1st, 2020

gw211
October 28th, 2020

I purchased a bike from this company on Indiegogo, expecting my bike would be built in USA as I was led to believe and would be delivered to me in Canada September 2020. Their page states that your bike is Guaranteed.
I contacted customer service and was told Oct 27/2020 that my bike would be shipped from China and they could not estimate the shipping date. They cannot advise when a bike will be shipped, and will not honor their guarantee. The customer service agent, Erica, was very rude about it.
Beware of supporting this company's indiegogo campaigns. Especially if you are an international customer.

chrise96
January 23rd, 2018

I did lots of research before pulling the trigger on my FLX trail. Many hours online, and visiting shops in Vancouver and Seattle. I was disappointed but not surprised when it didn't show in 3-5 weeks like I was told. It's a brand new company after all and they are bound to have issues. So when it arrived in late September, the rains had already begun here in the Pacific Northwest. But now I am having the fun I used to have when I was a kid on a sting ray. If I was only rating the bike, i would give it 6 stars, and although I am excited and hopeful for this new company, they don't have it quite dialed in yet. They are getting there though, and if it's any consolation, I WILL be buying another FLX.

johna2650
December 3rd, 2020

I purchased my bike in August 2020, and here it is December 3rd and I still haven't received the bike. I tried to cancel the order and of course, they won't provide any kind of a refund. The bikes are made in China and there's no guarantee of the quality or state of the construction. The customer service department just gives you the runaround and I'm sure that service after the purchase is totally up to the customer. I still have no idea when or if I'll ever receive the bike. I'm going to contact the BBB in San Diego and make a formal complaint and will seek legal advice to address the cancellation and refund issue. I strongly suggest you see your local cycle dealer to purchase your new e-bike and avoid scam companies.

jonm95
March 4th, 2017

My wife ordered a FLX Trail with the larger battery, a seat post, cell phone holder and extra set of tires for X-Mas. Price, around $2,300. With shipping. We were told when we ordered the bike it would be delivered by X-Mas. Well, missed the Christmas delivery. Kinda awkward, as everyone else got a present X-Mas morning. Bike was delivered in middle of January 2017. OK, its a startup I thought. Box was delivered with a hole in the cardboard, when unpacked, frame was scratched, cell phone holder and extra tires were missing. Next I carefully assembled the bike. Took it outside and rode up the driveway, front wheel wobbled like the wheel was bent. Called FLX. And was told to take it to a local bike shop. There I was told the wobble was the tire and not the wheel. Called FLX. Just cancelled the missing extra set of tires. I did recieve the cell phone holder a couple weeks later. Still waiting for "the touch up paint" for the frame scratch and a new wobble free front tire. Then, on my first ride (5 miles) the motor quit, 3.5 miles into the ride! Walked it home. Walked, because it is too heavy to ride up hill without electric assist. I am in my 50's. Called FLX again, explained and they thought it was some kind of regulator on the motor."We will replace it and have it installed for you, about the third week of February." Still waiting, no call, It is the first week of March. I currently have an expensive piece of metal with a defective motor and wobbly front tire and no "touchup paint" for my $2,300. Investment. To their credit, they did comp a set of fenders to me. They were nice enough on the phone. At this point I really dont want the bike anymore and if they would take it back for a refund I would be happy. Frustrated and believing I made a mistake buying this bike.

russb26
December 28th, 2016

UPDATE: The company finally got back to me and sent me the replacement for the defective motor. I was able to follow the step by step video instructions using the tools they provided and make the motor swap. It worked perfectly and I love my bike. It really is an amazing piece of machinery now that it is working properly. ORIGINAL: I got my bike and after one ride it stopped working. They asked me to send pictures of the motor and the immediately identified that the motor was not correctly placed causing the wires to be pulled out of the motor. That was November 25th. I have yet to hear from them again. I have made repeated attempts to get them to respond, even said I would pay for the cost of having a local bike shop replace the motor. Nothing! You will spend a lot and once they have your money, good luck! Hopefully your bike will be one like they show off all the time and not a very heavy conversation piece that you can't ride again. I told all of my friends and family about his bike because I was so excited.

michaelr421
July 26th, 2020

ATTENTION ATTENTION ATTENTION! Before you buy a bike from these guys, Take a look at their "D" RATING with the Better Business Bureau and the mountain of horrible reviews for customer service all over the internet... Despite all their happy, high energy, "we love you" nonsense, they have HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE and they do not give refunds or exchanges! Bought two bikes in April they changed the delivery date to OCTOBER. THAT'S 6 MONTHS... They raised almost 14 million dollars. I asked for a refund this week, not wanting to wait 3 more months. They sent back two snarky emails and said NO REFUND! BEWARE BEWARE OF THESE GUYS, they are not cyclists. They raise money and then order your bike... BEWARE

blakek8
May 27th, 2017

In May 2016 (yes - one year ago) I paid in advance for a pair of FLX Trail bikes.

I provided a US delivery address. The plan was to keep one in the US and take one to a second home in France. However, I checked the wrong order box and ended up paying the higher shipping charge for EU delivery.

When I discovered this, I revised the shipping address to my French second home. The plan was to keep one there and bring one home.

When the bikes arrived in the EU, there was apparently a demand for a VAT tax. They asked me to sign a power of attorney for an unknown entity to handle that transaction, but would not tell me the actual VAT tax amount. Suspicion arose that the EU might have assigned a higher value than I paid, and would assess the VAT tax rate on the higher value.

With this discovery, I contacted FLX and requested a revision back to my original US delivery address. After a prolonged series of emails, FLX agreed to this.

It is now May 2017 and FLX has not delivered the twin Trail bikes.

Their latest email claims that they have shifted to a newer stronger bike motor and battery design which will delay delivery until June 2017.

Looking on their website, I see that the new design G2 is priced at over $ 3000 each. This is much more than I paid in advance for each of their original models.

If the bikes don't arrive by end of June 2017 I will demand a full refund. If FLX does not comply, I will retain a lawyer and initiate charges of fraudulent business practices and non compliance with my prepaid order.

Has anybody else encountered this lousy execution by FLX staff?

Blake K.

stuarts151
May 21st, 2020

I bought 2 bikes at christmas at greater than $5000. Started off with loose cable connectors to the dashboard, easy fix but a trip the shop, Lucky they are local to SAn Diego. Then we had motor problems where the motor would cut out when warmed up and then kick back in after a few seconds. Really disrupting to riding. After two trips they agreed to replace the motors. I picked up the bikes and I rode mine for 6 miles as I left the house on my 2cd ride the pedal came loose. I took my bike in again and showed them the problem. They asked me why I took the crank arms off. I said I didn't and then I was called a LIAR several times "Your lying to me" by the sales associate. The crank arms were mounted on the wrong sides left arm on right side and right on left side. An easy mistake but caused the pedals to loosen one pedal has reverse threads. The mechanic then said I was questioning his ethics.and his competence. I was questioning his competence. The arms are marked with an L and R.and needed to remove to change motors. After much screaming they agreed to change the arms out and replace the pedals since the threads were stripped. The ebike seems good when it works but the customer service and being called a LIAR by staff is enough to cause a bad review. I don't get mad easily and I have ridden and fixed bikes for 50+ yrs. But being called a LIAR was to much Stay away if you buy one pray nothing fails

celestea33
August 26th, 2020

If your bike needs repair, prepare to leave it over 3 weeks before you get it back. But that's only if they decide to repair it. My bike, after just one year and a mere 2300 miles, is cutting out. After numerous back and forth emails with on-line support describing the problem, the rep diagnosed it to be in the controller. I then asked how long it would take to make the repair and he said 1 week since he had worked my issue with the repair tech and that they have identified the problem so it should be quick. When I got there a few weeks later to drop off the bike, I got a whole different story from the repair tech who told me it would be at least 3+ weeks. Then he proceeded to give me attitude about how back-logged he is, that the upfront cost for running the diagnostics is $50 an hour, etc., etc, as if he was trying to talk me out of the repair! Eventually, the on-line tech who I had been communicating via email joined us but he was no help. He said nothing about what he and I had been emailing about and the controller problem he said he and the repair tech identified to be the problem. But given that I had already made the 2+ hour trek from my house to the shop, I decided to leave it regardless of the long repair wait. When I got home, I wrote the on-line support tech and complained about the experience. The next day, he wrote me to tell me that he felt bad about the experience and was able to get the repair tech to run the diagnostics. The problem - there wasn't one. Everything check out good. I was the problem from the way I was riding the bike by leaving it in 9th gear and predominately using the electric levels. In this way, it was normal for the bike to cut out.
When I picked up my bike, to minimize the cutting out, the on-line rep instructed me to only use 5th gear without any electric levels for a week to better familiarize myself with the gears. He said that the bike is designed to work this way - to use both the gears and the assist levels in tandem with each other but that I should first try only using the gears. He recommended that I do this trial using 5th gear. So I tried it. What a joke that advice was.
To get any pedalling traction at all from this bike, the gears must be set at either 8 or 9 otherwise you're spinning your wheels as there is very little traction. I tried other various combinations using the gears and assist levels 1 and 2. No matter what combination I used, the bike still cuts out. Finally, I reverted back to leaving the bike in 9th gear in conjunction with the assist levels. Eventually, when this bike is no longer usable, I'll sell it and go with an e-bike sold locally and supported locally.

gleng90
November 4th, 2020

Went through the process of trying to get the babymaker through their indiegogo campaign. They said delivery guaranteed. This was in May. They promised deliver in September. We are now in November and they don't expect to get deliveries out until march of 2021. When asked for a refund, they just flat out deny it. They won't try to meet in the middle or nothing. They stick hard and fast to there arbitrary rules. They can't stand behind their product if they can't afford to lose money on a return. That is their reasoning for not doing the refund. The fees have been taken out by indiegogo. Then when you make a comment on their indiegogo page to get help, they direct you to their help pages on flx. Bike. They then tell you now and basically to stop replying to them. They then won't comment on when deliveries will be made. They have a D- rating on BBB. They don't care about helping anyone. They just want their money, and if you get your product, well that seems like something that is regrettable to them.

bennyc23
September 9th, 2019

They have terrible after sales service. Got the very first unit they launched at Indegogo, in fact I was number 21 on the list. I was initially very supportive until I started questioning some issues. One of the founders started arguing with me. A founder arguing with a customer, I mean close to the point where there were loud voices over the phone. I just sold my bike and got something else.

jordann39
December 4th, 2019

I bought the second gen Trail and absolutely loved it until the motor broke. I couldn't get FLX to help me at all, and I was very willing to try anything, I even sent them videos of the fault. Don't get your bike from these guys.

nicolasd18
November 30th, 2018

I've had the FLX Roadster for 2 years, straight out of kickstarter. At first I loved it, as it was my first e-bike. It is a true life changer and the best mode of transportation in many cities! It "flattens" hills, which is an incredible feeling. You get pretty quickly to 20 miles/h, which is a great cruising speed. My top speed (downhill) was ~35 mph; beyond that, it's too dangerous anyway. It's also nice to be able to take the battery out and recharge it elsewhere.

Sadly, the bike is extremely poorly built:
1. They claim the battery can go for 30 miles or more. Mine gets weak after 15 and dies at 20 miles, in ideal conditions (I would say 15 miles max in winter).
2. This is the flimsiest bike I've ever had. So many screws, nuts and bolts have popped at least once. My 2 fenders are broken (one is because the bike fell while standing).
3. To top it up, the motor died after 14 months of use... I emailed them right before it broke. They emailed back and forth to tell me that they were about to get spare parts in a shipment. After 6 weeks, I finally got a replacement, and had to pay $75 for a known issue! Four months after changing the motor (it was a 4h project...), I can sense that there is something wrong again when I pedal...:(
4. They sent a bike seat with the wrong "minimum depth" marking on it, so of course, the frame cracked... They want $280 to ship me a replacement frame, for THEIR mistake. They also offer to cover the welding cost, but the worst part about it is that no bike shops want to service it anymore (because of liability issues). So I'm on my own...
5. They are extremely slow at handling problems. Both times (for the motor and the frame), it took ~20 emails (mostly me asking "can you please reply?") and 6 weeks!
6. More minor details; I don't find the "user interface" of the control panel very intuitive or efficient. For example, you need to set motor speed every time! The gears were never really aligned, despite a professional tuneup after 200 miles. It derails quite easily over bumps.

In short: Don't buy this bike, it's too flimsy and too much work. There are great alternatives!

lolam32
September 11th, 2017

I ordered two bikes from FLX in February 2017 and received one of them last week. That is over 6 months! And I only got one bike. When I emailed FLX to let them know they responded that the other bike is "on its way" but they have no tracking number yet.

I get they needed to do upgrades and it took time but give me a break, this is joke.
They have never offered me any compensation or discounts even when I told them we had planned a trip around the expected first delivery date. And even now when they lost one (they did say they could get me a different bike to replace the lost one now but I told them I wanted the one I purchased).

Lame.

monc5
February 27th, 2019

I'm new to SD and have had some nightmare experiences at bike shops before. So when I bent my wheel in rose canyon on a Sunday afternoon I could feel the dollar signs. I walked it to FLX and was thrilled to they were open. They did such a good job replacing my wheel that I had them tune up a bunch of other things too. My bike was ready the next day as promised and I went and bought one of their pannier backpacks to haul my weekend gear in as well. It's been about 6 weeks and the bike is still riding better than it has all year. I couldn't be happier with the service and quick turnaround. Cheers!

dano55
January 25th, 2018

Have had my roadster for a few months now and could not be happier with it. I used to ride a scooter to work in London and get in just as quick on the Flx taking in all the parks en route. The bike its self is top quality and with the 17ah battery the range is awesome. With the assist on my commute to work is a speedy breeze but I still get a work out. Highly recommend these bikes the are so much fun to ride...

fredn41
September 24th, 2018

This is the second bike that I've ordered from FLX and I can't say enough about the bikes and service that I've received. My first bike was the "Trail", put 2500 miles on it before I sold it and bought the "Blade"

Rob, Pete and the FLX gang have really put together some fantastic bikes.

The Blade is a monster and so fun to ride.

caitlint19
March 2nd, 2019

Solid and dependable bike. I wasn't sure what to expect but now I'm in love. It's fast and the size is perfect for me too. Couldn't ask for more. Thanks for the ride!

Hi Sanford, we're in production of Blades, delivery will be very soon. Hope you join us!

By Sagui U., Communications Manager

Yes, they did resolve the issue and I am riding an love it!

By Russ B.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the FLX staff and other customers.

? I have been researching for nearly 5 years, but never spent the money until the FLX Bike came along. And, now I'm sold! We have 2 bikes on the way now!"

flxb
Sagui U.
Communications Manager

How do I know I can trust these reviews about FLX?

Have a question about FLX?