FLX

FLX has a consumer rating of 3.44 stars from 27 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally satisfied with their purchases. FLX also ranks 11th among Bicycle sites. The most common issues with FLX are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 14.3%

• The customer service is great and helped me through all the questions I had whilst choosing my bike.

• After 6 weeks, I finally got a replacement, and had to pay $75 for a known issue!
How would you rate FLX?

“Great bikes and great service”

jake t.
3/1/20

Ive owned the FLX roadster for three years now and have had no issues! FLX even sent me a new charger when mine didnt appear to be working. I also bought the Miles Board(small carbon fiber electric skateboard) from the same team, and when my remote wasnt working they shipped me another one and just asked for mine back to inspect it.

“All hype, no delivery or service!”

MICHAEL R.
7/26/20

ATTENTION ATTENTION ATTENTION! Before you buy a bike from these guys, Take a look at their "D" RATING with the Better Business Bureau and the mountain of horrible reviews for customer service all over the internet... Despite all their happy, high energy, "we love you" nonsense, they have HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE and they do not give refunds or exchanges! Bought two bikes in April they changed the delivery date to OCTOBER. THAT'S 6 MONTHS... They raised almost 14 million dollars. I asked for a refund this week, not wanting to wait 3 more months. They sent back two snarky emails and said NO REFUND! BEWARE BEWARE OF THESE GUYS, they are not cyclists. They raise money and then order your bike... BEWARE

customer service (3) 6 weeks (3)
michaelr421
July 26th, 2020
stuarts151
May 21st, 2020
I bought 2 bikes at christmas at greater than $5000. Started off with loose cable connectors to the dashboard, easy fix but a trip the shop, Lucky they are local to SAn Diego. Then we had motor problems where the motor would cut out when warmed up and then kick back in after a few seconds. Really disrupting to riding. After two trips they agreed to replace the motors. I picked up the bikes and I rode mine for 6 miles as I left the house on my 2cd ride the pedal came loose. I took my bike in again and showed them the problem. They asked me why I took the crank arms off. I said I didn't and then I was called a LIAR several times "Your lying to me" by the sales associate. The crank arms were mounted on the wrong sides left arm on right side and right on left side. An easy mistake but caused the pedals to loosen one pedal has reverse threads. The mechanic then said I was questioning his ethics.and his competence. I was questioning his competence. The arms are marked with an L and R.and needed to remove to change motors. After much screaming they agreed to change the arms out and replace the pedals since the threads were stripped. The ebike seems good when it works but the customer service and being called a LIAR by staff is enough to cause a bad review. I don't get mad easily and I have ridden and fixed bikes for 50+ yrs. But being called a LIAR was to much Stay away if you buy one pray nothing fails
chrise96
January 23rd, 2018
I did lots of research before pulling the trigger on my FLX trail. Many hours online, and visiting shops in Vancouver and Seattle. I was disappointed but not surprised when it didn't show in 3-5 weeks like I was told. It's a brand new company after all and they are bound to have issues. So when it arrived in late September, the rains had already begun here in the Pacific Northwest. But now I am having the fun I used to have when I was a kid on a sting ray. If I was only rating the bike, i would give it 6 stars, and although I am excited and hopeful for this new company, they don't have it quite dialed in yet. They are getting there though, and if it's any consolation, I WILL be buying another FLX.
marcog103
August 18th, 2020
The bikes are pretty good BUT Insanely bad service. They ignore you. For that reason alone, I'd buy elsewhere
christopherp201
July 17th, 2018
The bike arrived, but the tour package was 6 weeks late. Additionally, the tour package shipment was poorly packed. The box arrived crushed and open, with loose parts inside. There was no documentation, no parts list, and no assembly instruction. For the money, go elsewhere. Do not buy a flx bike.

*Update*
As of yesterday, after multiple chat sessions and a lengthy phone call with support, my problem with flx was resolved in my favor. However, the very friendly support person did not read any of the extensive notes before talking with me, which included the photographs of the damaged shipment.

From purchase to this point, six weeks.

So, i recommend that you reserve time in your life for dealing with after purchase support. In my experience, the best way to get their attention is through chat. You can send a transcript of the exchange to yourself in email. Don't call, even though the option to do so is available. When i called, there was only an electronic music loop, not even a robot saying i had reached flx support, just music, and not very good music at that.

Flx has a good bike to sell, but they know nothing about treating you well if something goes wrong, you must work the support line repeatedly.

Cheers!

Tip for consumers: try specialized

jaket31
March 1st, 2020
celestea33
August 26th, 2020
If your bike needs repair, prepare to leave it over 3 weeks before you get it back. But that's only if they decide to repair it. My bike, after just one year and a mere 2300 miles, is cutting out. After numerous back and forth emails with on-line support describing the problem, the rep diagnosed it to be in the controller. I then asked how long it would take to make the repair and he said 1 week since he had worked my issue with the repair tech and that they have identified the problem so it should be quick. When I got there a few weeks later to drop off the bike, I got a whole different story from the repair tech who told me it would be at least 3+ weeks. Then he proceeded to give me attitude about how back-logged he is, that the upfront cost for running the diagnostics is $50 an hour, etc., etc, as if he was trying to talk me out of the repair! Eventually, the on-line tech who I had been communicating via email joined us but he was no help. He said nothing about what he and I had been emailing about and the controller problem he said he and the repair tech identified to be the problem. But given that I had already made the 2+ hour trek from my house to the shop, I decided to leave it regardless of the long repair wait. When I got home, I wrote the on-line support tech and complained about the experience. The next day, he wrote me to tell me that he felt bad about the experience and was able to get the repair tech to run the diagnostics. The problem - there wasn't one. Everything check out good. I was the problem from the way I was riding the bike by leaving it in 9th gear and predominately using the electric levels. In this way, it was normal for the bike to cut out.
When I picked up my bike, to minimize the cutting out, the on-line rep instructed me to only use 5th gear without any electric levels for a week to better familiarize myself with the gears. He said that the bike is designed to work this way - to use both the gears and the assist levels in tandem with each other but that I should first try only using the gears. He recommended that I do this trial using 5th gear. So I tried it. What a joke that advice was.
To get any pedalling traction at all from this bike, the gears must be set at either 8 or 9 otherwise you're spinning your wheels as there is very little traction. I tried other various combinations using the gears and assist levels 1 and 2. No matter what combination I used, the bike still cuts out. Finally, I reverted back to leaving the bike in 9th gear in conjunction with the assist levels. Eventually, when this bike is no longer usable, I'll sell it and go with an e-bike sold locally and supported locally.
johnc5299
September 15th, 2020
The bike itself is a superior product. The accessories are not matched well and don't function with the bike. Kick stand hits your foot, front light clamps unusable, fenders poor quality and service is the worst.
bennyc23
September 9th, 2019
They have terrible after sales service. Got the very first unit they launched at Indegogo, in fact I was number 21 on the list. I was initially very supportive until I started questioning some issues. One of the founders started arguing with me. A founder arguing with a customer, I mean close to the point where there were loud voices over the phone. I just sold my bike and got something else.
jonm95
March 4th, 2017
My wife ordered a FLX Trail with the larger battery, a seat post, cell phone holder and extra set of tires for X-Mas. Price, around $2,300. With shipping. We were told when we ordered the bike it would be delivered by X-Mas. Well, missed the Christmas delivery. Kinda awkward, as everyone else got a present X-Mas morning. Bike was delivered in middle of January 2017. OK, its a startup I thought. Box was delivered with a hole in the cardboard, when unpacked, frame was scratched, cell phone holder and extra tires were missing. Next I carefully assembled the bike. Took it outside and rode up the driveway, front wheel wobbled like the wheel was bent. Called FLX. And was told to take it to a local bike shop. There I was told the wobble was the tire and not the wheel. Called FLX. Just cancelled the missing extra set of tires. I did recieve the cell phone holder a couple weeks later. Still waiting for "the touch up paint" for the frame scratch and a new wobble free front tire. Then, on my first ride (5 miles) the motor quit, 3.5 miles into the ride! Walked it home. Walked, because it is too heavy to ride up hill without electric assist. I am in my 50's. Called FLX again, explained and they thought it was some kind of regulator on the motor."We will replace it and have it installed for you, about the third week of February." Still waiting, no call, It is the first week of March. I currently have an expensive piece of metal with a defective motor and wobbly front tire and no "touchup paint" for my $2,300. Investment. To their credit, they did comp a set of fenders to me. They were nice enough on the phone. At this point I really dont want the bike anymore and if they would take it back for a refund I would be happy. Frustrated and believing I made a mistake buying this bike.
monc5
February 27th, 2019
I'm new to SD and have had some nightmare experiences at bike shops before. So when I bent my wheel in rose canyon on a Sunday afternoon I could feel the dollar signs. I walked it to FLX and was thrilled to they were open. They did such a good job replacing my wheel that I had them tune up a bunch of other things too. My bike was ready the next day as promised and I went and bought one of their pannier backpacks to haul my weekend gear in as well. It's been about 6 weeks and the bike is still riding better than it has all year. I couldn't be happier with the service and quick turnaround. Cheers!
jordann39
December 4th, 2019
I bought the second gen Trail and absolutely loved it until the motor broke. I couldn't get FLX to help me at all, and I was very willing to try anything, I even sent them videos of the fault. Don't get your bike from these guys.
blakek8
May 27th, 2017
In May 2016 (yes - one year ago) I paid in advance for a pair of FLX Trail bikes.

I provided a US delivery address. The plan was to keep one in the US and take one to a second home in France. However, I checked the wrong order box and ended up paying the higher shipping charge for EU delivery.

When I discovered this, I revised the shipping address to my French second home. The plan was to keep one there and bring one home.

When the bikes arrived in the EU, there was apparently a demand for a VAT tax. They asked me to sign a power of attorney for an unknown entity to handle that transaction, but would not tell me the actual VAT tax amount. Suspicion arose that the EU might have assigned a higher value than I paid, and would assess the VAT tax rate on the higher value.

With this discovery, I contacted FLX and requested a revision back to my original US delivery address. After a prolonged series of emails, FLX agreed to this.

It is now May 2017 and FLX has not delivered the twin Trail bikes.

Their latest email claims that they have shifted to a newer stronger bike motor and battery design which will delay delivery until June 2017.

Looking on their website, I see that the new design G2 is priced at over $ 3000 each. This is much more than I paid in advance for each of their original models.

If the bikes don't arrive by end of June 2017 I will demand a full refund. If FLX does not comply, I will retain a lawyer and initiate charges of fraudulent business practices and non compliance with my prepaid order.

Has anybody else encountered this lousy execution by FLX staff?

Blake K.
dano55
January 25th, 2018
Have had my roadster for a few months now and could not be happier with it. I used to ride a scooter to work in London and get in just as quick on the Flx taking in all the parks en route. The bike its self is top quality and with the 17ah battery the range is awesome. With the assist on my commute to work is a speedy breeze but I still get a work out. Highly recommend these bikes the are so much fun to ride...
nicolasd18
November 30th, 2018
I've had the FLX Roadster for 2 years, straight out of kickstarter. At first I loved it, as it was my first e-bike. It is a true life changer and the best mode of transportation in many cities! It "flattens" hills, which is an incredible feeling. You get pretty quickly to 20 miles/h, which is a great cruising speed. My top speed (downhill) was ~35 mph; beyond that, it's too dangerous anyway. It's also nice to be able to take the battery out and recharge it elsewhere.

Sadly, the bike is extremely poorly built:
1. They claim the battery can go for 30 miles or more. Mine gets weak after 15 and dies at 20 miles, in ideal conditions (I would say 15 miles max in winter).
2. This is the flimsiest bike I've ever had. So many screws, nuts and bolts have popped at least once. My 2 fenders are broken (one is because the bike fell while standing).
3. To top it up, the motor died after 14 months of use... I emailed them right before it broke. They emailed back and forth to tell me that they were about to get spare parts in a shipment. After 6 weeks, I finally got a replacement, and had to pay $75 for a known issue! Four months after changing the motor (it was a 4h project...), I can sense that there is something wrong again when I pedal...:(
4. They sent a bike seat with the wrong "minimum depth" marking on it, so of course, the frame cracked... They want $280 to ship me a replacement frame, for THEIR mistake. They also offer to cover the welding cost, but the worst part about it is that no bike shops want to service it anymore (because of liability issues). So I'm on my own...
5. They are extremely slow at handling problems. Both times (for the motor and the frame), it took ~20 emails (mostly me asking "can you please reply?") and 6 weeks!
6. More minor details; I don't find the "user interface" of the control panel very intuitive or efficient. For example, you need to set motor speed every time! The gears were never really aligned, despite a professional tuneup after 200 miles. It derails quite easily over bumps.

In short: Don't buy this bike, it's too flimsy and too much work. There are great alternatives!
lolam32
September 11th, 2017
I ordered two bikes from FLX in February 2017 and received one of them last week. That is over 6 months! And I only got one bike. When I emailed FLX to let them know they responded that the other bike is "on its way" but they have no tracking number yet.

I get they needed to do upgrades and it took time but give me a break, this is joke.
They have never offered me any compensation or discounts even when I told them we had planned a trip around the expected first delivery date. And even now when they lost one (they did say they could get me a different bike to replace the lost one now but I told them I wanted the one I purchased).

Lame.
fredn41
September 24th, 2018
This is the second bike that I've ordered from FLX and I can't say enough about the bikes and service that I've received. My first bike was the "Trail", put 2500 miles on it before I sold it and bought the "Blade"

Rob, Pete and the FLX gang have really put together some fantastic bikes.

The Blade is a monster and so fun to ride.
russb26
December 28th, 2016
UPDATE: The company finally got back to me and sent me the replacement for the defective motor. I was able to follow the step by step video instructions using the tools they provided and make the motor swap. It worked perfectly and I love my bike. It really is an amazing piece of machinery now that it is working properly. ORIGINAL: I got my bike and after one ride it stopped working. They asked me to send pictures of the motor and the immediately identified that the motor was not correctly placed causing the wires to be pulled out of the motor. That was November 25th. I have yet to hear from them again. I have made repeated attempts to get them to respond, even said I would pay for the cost of having a local bike shop replace the motor. Nothing! You will spend a lot and once they have your money, good luck! Hopefully your bike will be one like they show off all the time and not a very heavy conversation piece that you can't ride again. I told all of my friends and family about his bike because I was so excited.
caitlint19
March 2nd, 2019
Solid and dependable bike. I wasn't sure what to expect but now I'm in love. It's fast and the size is perfect for me too. Couldn't ask for more. Thanks for the ride!
davidr468
January 24th, 2018
I was an early purchaser through the crowd funding campain and am very pleased with my purchase. I had some problems with my bike when it first arrived but Pete and others were very helpful in resolving the issue.
My trail model bike is a blast to ride and with a little motor support flattens out the most daunting hills. I have found the bike to be a real head turner and am very pleased with the engineering and performance. I highly recommend this bike and this company. They are the best!
jackr186
August 2nd, 2019
• Updated review
Purchased in May of 2017... awesome e bike. I have logged 5500 miles so far. Set up for commuting with a thule rack and panniers, lights, and fenders and some schwhabe tires I manage 20 mph over a 44 mile commute everyday. 36 volt 17 amphr battery running at the highest power level setting can easily deliver 22 mile distance. Recharge at work takes 4 hrs and then its back home. Considering that I'm 64 years old this is a game changer. Ride takes about 1 hr and 10 minutes each 22 mile commute. I have regained much of my youthful strength and vigor and can also pack a change of clothes, lunch, and drinks without having to become a world class rider. Leave that car home! SOOO Much fun!
What are you waiting for?
August 10th, 2018
• Previous review
Purchased the Attack in May of 2017. Had some problems with the bofeili motor noise but the FLX team got the problem fixed perfectly and now with the Bafang motor you get an extra 100 watts power! Bike has 3200 miles on it and nothing has failed. I commute 44 miles each day over country roads with elevation gain of 2600 feet per day. 17 amp/hr battery has three bars on it after 22 miles using power level 5. I recharge at work then ride home another 22 miles. At power level 5 I can easily maintain 25 mph on flats and 45 mph down hill. Up hill the gearing is sufficiently low enough to maintain a cadence above 65. The full suspension is a dream to ride... very soft and comfortable. The motor will output 600 plus watts for the first 15 minutes of hard work. Then it will settle down to about 560 watts for the remainder of the ride. I have cycled for 40 years and still love my Cannondale Saeco Team bike but there is no way I can commute day after day hauling my work clothes and lunch using my Cannondale. The FLX works and runs like a dream. Get one, get fit, and laugh at the traffic.
jeffreym98
December 27th, 2017
We got our 2 Trail bikes 7 days after we ordered them. They were really easy to assemble from the boxes. There was just one issue and Rob and Pete reached right out to us when we told them and completely resolved it. The bikes are amazing. I loved the first time my wife tried hers and yelled WooHoo! When she started pedaling and felt the assist. Great job guys and we will be reccomending FLX bikes. We are having an amazing time FLXing.
alans168
December 22nd, 2017
Tomorrow marks the anniversary of when I made the decision to purchase my FLX Trail. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was riding my old bike up a steep hill on terrain that was very frustrating to try to navigate through. I told myself that the next time that I do this ride, itll be on an FLX. Purchasing this bike is one of the best decisions I have ever made. I have made new friends, rekindled old friendships, increased my fitness and I have explored many amazing places. These are just a few examples. Every time I ride my bike I feel so grateful to have it! Looking forward to continuing this great journey. Thanks FLX! BTW, I ride up that previously mentioned hill all the time and now I smile the whole time.:-)
alexw105
March 3rd, 2017
Bought the trail, it came within a week and it is perfect! The customer service is great and helped me through all the questions I had whilst choosing my bike. They also gave me help with technical information whilst assembling my bike. Would definitely recommend!
stephenn37
January 24th, 2018
In all of my communications on the issues in the delivery of my bike. You have always responded promptly and have been a positive bel weather for the face of FLX.

Your attention to me as a consumer has been 2nd to none.
Please share my thoughts with Pete & Rob.

My FLX Attack has exceeded expectations. It has a nice street appeal. Quality seems to match FLX's product info.

Sagui,

All the best in your career with FLX. Your involvement in FLX, parallels and compliments everything Pete & Rob are trying to achieve as they present their bikes to the public.

It has been nice being able to communicate with you. And together resolving any issues I have had.

Hi Sanford, we're in production of Blades, delivery will be very soon. Hope you join us!

By Sagui U., Communications Manager

Yes, they did resolve the issue and I am riding an love it!

By Russ B.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the FLX staff and other customers.

? I have been researching for nearly 5 years, but never spent the money until the FLX Bike came along. And, now I'm sold! We have 2 bikes on the way now!"

flxb
Sagui U.
Communications Manager

How do I know I can trust these reviews about FLX?

Have a question about FLX?