Review of FlipKey

Boston, MA 2114, US
Tel: 843.1269090

ethanf33
3/15/19

The top app which I use while traveling. All sightseeing, useful tricks and interesting tips are included. The big advantage is the opportunity to read references about the particular place from other people. One of the best helpers in a new location.

scottk294
3/15/19

Using this site to find what to do, activities and places to see when I'm traveling. Easy to use and get's you a lot of information in one place.

mohammads74
3/15/19

You won't be disappointed. FlipKey is a professional company.

I would highly recommend this company, it`s been a pleasure using their service.

gibbonsand
3/15/19

Lately TripAdvisor has been an absolute must for all of my vacation needs. Regular hotel trips just don't cut it anymore. There's just something a lot more exciting in trying your luck in some obscure rental place.

normann15
3/15/19

Flipkey Review - perfect experience - 5 STARS..I want to tell you that i had a really good experience with Flipkey. We
booked an apartment and we had some issues with our traveling documents
and eventually we were not able to go, the owner understood and same
did Flikey. I got my money back and customer service has been very
helpful. Same as the owner. Overall, an excellent experience and i
recommend.

valeriob1
3/15/19

Excellent service....everything went smoothly.Hotel - Absolutely beautiful! Great home away from home! Thanks for such a warm welcome and a genuine come back soon!

craigm245
1/20/19

Flipkey's Customer Service is Really Good.

Our host was always around if I needed anything and the accommodations was as advertised.

My security deposit was just refunded by Flipkey this morning because we didnt break anything :).

Excellent experience.

mohammada166
1/20/19

I really like FlipKey. They are relatively invisible in the entire process. That is a good thing in that they equip you to do all of your own planning and shopping for accommodations. If anything , you can be overwhelmed by the amount of choice and diversity.

dominicd36
1/20/19

EXCELLENT!!!It doesn't matter what state we've stayed in, each accommodation looks better than the last. And we've been delighted with meeting the owners. You won't be disappointed with your choice.

robertou2

Everything work ok.
It was easy to book.
No problems.
Book with confidence !

I really like FlipKey.

ethanf32
1/20/19

Very quick and easy, I would use this service again.
Everything went smoothly.
I recommend FlipKey any day.

stephenb409
1/20/19

Great customer service! Owners are always responsive and helpful.
Everything was after the expectations, very good.

antoniom148
1/17/19

Everything went great. I recommend !!!!
Book with confidence. You will not be disappointed.
We spent $5000 on a beautiful vacation with our family.
We had an amazing experience.

josephs589
1/4/19

Had a very bad experience with a condo that I booked in Miami, despite talking and booking directly with a Flipkey employee many months ahead of arrival. I first tried to book this condo online, but was not getting adequate answers or timely responses, so decided to phone Flipkey and ask if this condo was actually available. The Flipkey employee assured me that there was no problem, the condo was available and proceeded to book it for us. I told the Flipkey employee a second time that we were not getting full nor timely responses to our queries and I was worried that the owners would cancel on us or there would be some other problem, as they did not seem very anxious to rent this condo. Again she assured me nothing was amiss and not to worry. Unfortunately, one month before our arrival, the owner did indeed cancel (citing an apparent plumbing issue in the building) and we were stuck with looking for a new place. Flipkey could not be less helpful. Simply put: they were terrible. Each time we called, a new person dealt with our problem, and each time they called us, a new person called (must have been at least 10 different people including multiple supervisors). Each time we would repeat our story, and each time they would say they will call back. But never did the same person call back. It was always a new person. Flipkey did suggest a couple of other places that were obviously inappropriate - much too small for our family and not remotely of the same standard, but at the same price (or higher) as the cancelled condo. The lacklustre offering of a new condo and speaking to a new person each time was obviously an attempt to tire us out so we would give up. Eventually, we booked another condo in the same building through another company, which cost us at least $1000 more because of the late booking. Of note: the building had no plumbing issue, which had been the reason for the cancellation via Flipkey. I definitely will not book with TripAdvisor's Flipkey again, and strongly advise anyone looking to book a rental property to stay away from Flipkey.

annew147
12/6/18

MOST HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE EVER!!!! CUSTOMER BEWARE!!!!
I booked my vacation in April 2018 for a December 2018 family vacation. Today for no reason, my PAID reservation was cancelled.
I am screwed!!!!! Flip Key so kindly tried to offer me another reservation double the price on me! They offered me a 160.00 credit are you KIDDING ME?????

benh194
11/19/18

Booked a week in FL for a friend's wedding. Our car rental fell through the day we were to leave, and I woke up sick as a dog the morning we were supposed to check in. After notifying the rental owner of our unfortunate circumstances, i received a text stating "ok, great." I then emailed him to see if he would at least refund the hold and pet fee amount (as my dogs never stepped foot on their property) and called and texted, and they couldn't even be bothered to reply. Try customer service? Good luck, it'll be 10 years before those people give you a straight answer. $1300 bucks down the drain, and saw a real crappy side of people in the process.

patb224
6/26/18

Booked a rental for the Month of March in Florida, on the beach. Paid in advance and received multiple emails confirming the rental and hyping how wonderful it would be. Arrived in Florida and attempted to get access info from the local property manager. They informed me that the unit I rented wasn't available but they just happened to have another nearby (not on the beach) that they could let me have instead. I had a car paid for the month and return flight at the end of the month. I was stuck and they knew it.

I notified FlipKey immediately and got emails and calls that I couldn't respond to. Punch line from FlipKey was that since I spent a night in the alternate unit, it negated the Payment Protection.

FlipKey's position that it was the property manager's fault and the property manager blamed FlipKey. Eventually FlipKey offered me a 10% refund. When I attempted to accept, FlipKey acted like they'd never heard of me and, by email, asked me to open a complaint file. They're brutal and wore me down.

Avoid them like the plague. Honesty is not in their vocabulary.

eliyohuk
6/19/18

If you plan on booking via flipkey, holiday letting or tripadvisor it is all one company and if you try to cancel they will make it extremely hard for you to get your money back, I tried canceling after I booked by phone they said that no money will be taken for reservation but will just freeze it on my account because I said that I would like to find out some details first once I realized within 24 hours that its not good for me i cancelled it I received an email that its cancelled but on my booking review it wasn't asking an agent after being on the phone to them for about an hour they could not explain told she would put me thru to her supervisor she actually put me thru to the owner which does not speak english although it says she does on website when I called again they said they will call me back in a few min and never did that happened twice and still waiting

michellep280
6/17/18

Absolutely Horrible. I am an owner of a property listed. they harrassed me constantly from (indian accent)customer service. OMG what a nightmare.
for customers and owners. they were booking my property without my consent and then when the dates were unavailable they wanted a 150.00
cancellation fee for their SCAM. Stay away PLEASE!!

xaviero9
6/14/18

If you plan to list your property on FLIPKEY, BEWARE :
-- they will keep your money until check in + 2 days (homeaway pays as they receive payment)
-- FlipKey does not have a customer service number, instead they dizzy you out with pages and pages of "support" related questions. Is a real hazzle.
-- they charge waay more booking fees to travelers than other sites.

jh722
3/18/18

We received a notice from the owner they have cancelled our 2 bedroom 2 bath condo which we had booked months ago. They said they had double booked the condo with another site and failed to notice this. I have emails which I have sent to Flipkey (I finally connected via phone call for 25+ minutes I had with the Flipkey representative during which I specifically stated I HAD already booked my own condo due to the lack of response (I waited 6+hours for a response after sending an email) after the owner cancelled the 2 bedroom 2 bath condo. Because of the late cancellation I couldn't wait any longer for a response. Because Flipkey failed to contact me other than send me useless options of condos (AGAIN I specifically stated to the Flipkey representative over and over again that I had to book my own a 1 bedroom 1 bath -which was more money and I lost my trip cancellation money). If I were to cancel at such a late notice I would have been penalized a substantial amount of money.

marki62
3/8/18

Everything seemed great - until we got to Apartment 1 "Clifton on Golden Mile" at 63 Victoria Road, Clifton, Cape Town, South Africa. (BR24064484).
DO NOT EVEN THINK OF STAYING IN THIS PLACE.
This apartment was listed by Darryl and Ron Mink on Flipkey and Air B n B for R3,252.00 per night. We were charged R 6,041.00 and we have not been able to get an explanation as to why this happened nor have we had a refund. Both Flipkey and the apartment owners have been silent and completely unresponsive to our proof of this (screen shots of the adverts from both sites with exact dates of our booking) and we have not been able to get any satisfaction at all. The advertising says that this apartment sleeps 3 - that's only true if number 3 is a SMALL child - the apartment is TINY ! The apartment is situated directly above and on a very busy narrow main road that is always filled with traffic and is very, very noisy. Dozens of roofless red Double Decker Free Tour buses thunder past all day blowing clouds of diesel fumes into the apartment! (keep all doors and windows closed at all times). Then there are the thousands of cars, bikes and bicycles going from Cape Town to Camps Bay and vice versa all day every day. The constant traffic and brutal noise starts soon after 6:00 am and does not stop until about 9:00 pm every day. This is not mentioned in the advertising! The advertising for this apartment states that there is on site parking - this is not true! Parking is by arrangement at a private roof top lot down the road. The advertising states that there is a TV - this is not true, there is no TV ! The advertising states that the furniture is "eclectic" when in fact the furniture is old, mismatched and extremely uncomfortable! There were long black hairs all over the lounge room carpet and in both bedrooms and in the shower. Ugh! There was broken glass in the carpet in the main bedroom. The is one small air conditioning system in the main bedroom and it needs to be on 24/7 as it's the only source of air in the whole place. If you do not keep the louver shutters closed all day and all night there is NO PRIVACY in the bedroom! Just Great! The are no mirrors in the entire apartment except for a small one in the tiny bathroom. There are no electric outlets in the bathroom, so to use a hair dryer (remember to bring your own as what they have is crap) one needs to find an extension cord and plug it into another room outlet. The door handle to the main access door is broken and keeps falling on the ground. The door handle to the exterior front door should have broken off by now as it was almost off in January 2018. There is a safe in the apartment, but it is locked and cannot be used. The cooking utensils are terrible and the frying pan(s) are so scratched and stained that we had to buy a new one (and we took it with us when we left). The pantry had not been properly cleaned in ages. Whatever food we brought into the apartment we kept on the dining table. The toaster is tiny and one has to cut bread in half to get it in. The bathroom is internal and has no window - but it does have an exhaust fan that is as noisy as a jet engine but it neither sucks nor blows (so yes, it sucks!). There is no BBQ. There are no beach towels. There are no instructions as to how to use any of the appliances. There were light fittings without globes and no spare globes. Everything is the cheapest quality but the apartment is advertised as " Clifton on Golden Mile". They advertise that one can sit on the balcony, have a drink and watch the sunset. This is quite true BUT it's best to only do this if you are deaf as the noise from the continuous traffic is so loud and so constant that it's not long before you're back in doors. You can't even turn up the TV to drown out the traffic noise - there is no TV or radio. My advise would be - DO NOT STAY HERE ! If you have a booking CANCEL OR YOU WILL REGRET IT. Rather stay in Cape Town or Seapoint as you have to drive around anyway and Clifton is a nightmare of constant traffic with no where to park. The owners have been Misleading and Deceptive in their advertising of this place and I now make you aware of this. Finally, there was NO ONE to greet us when we arrived and NO ONE to see us off when we left. We cleaned the place, left the keys in the apartment and left without a glance back. Our week in Clifton was memorable but for all the wrong reasons.

sandras243
1/18/18

After hours of searching for the perfect place for my friends and I, we settled on one and contacted the owner, thru a realtor, to book the house, According to the website, which was not very detailed in the description of the property, the rent was $1850 for a week and this was comparative to others in the area. The realtor then contacted to owner to confirm and the owner raised the price to $2750! We're talking false advertising here!

jimc136
12/28/17

I used Flipkey for 5 years, until now everything has been good, now they restrict the user info from the owner that does not allow them to make sure the renter is a good choice and is not a criminal or scammer.

The proof is in the numbers, my accountant turned in my last 3 years rental numbers, they are below, this year flipkey didn't get nearly enough numbers to pay my expenses and now this property is costing me money in overhead cost.

Despite people traveling more, bookings are down a huge %. Below is the yearly rental amount..

2017- $39,094.78.
2016- $62,050.21
2015- $73,394.55

Numbers do not lie, do not recommend anyone list and pay for this service. I do not know why they are not getting any inquiries any longer (but they still have the hand out every year for me to pay them and for the customers booking fee) but they are no longer a good option for renting a vacation rental home.

ds239
11/25/17

Two complaints. First, I was unable to find the cancellation policy until AFTER I paid the initial deposit, only to find that the fees were ridiculously high. So I decided to stick with the booking but because of a family emergency, I missed the final payment date by 8 hours and Flipkey would not let me continue the booking without paying the cancellation fee. Unbelievable!!! And then it was nearly impossible to find a contact person to file a complaint with. I will NEVER use Flipkey again and will tell everyone I know to stay away from them.

If you do, you will loose all previous phone numbers and email address from previous inquiries. Flipkey will raise the rental rate paid by potential guests. In my case rents went from $3500 for a week to over $4,000.00 making my property no longer competitive. Service worked great up until a couple years ago. Subscription fees were raised annually, inquiries were dropping, and bookings were dropping. I contacted Flipkey yesterday and they said they are prioritizing free listings since Flipkey collects a healthy booking fee. Said their plan is to discontinue annual subscriptions. Convinced me that free listing will be best for me and they are going to credit my prorated annual subscription. After doing this, 330 previous inquiries phone and emails were gone! Make sure to capture previous contact info or you will loose it.

By Marshall R.

I list my property with Flipkey and VRBO. I finally got my first booking through Flipkey but the folks canceled because Flipkey charged them $300. VRBO's fee would have been $120. I would suggest going to VRBO. Looking at the rest of these reviews, it looks like a crappy company.

By Ken C.

If you are concerned about cash flow, don't use Airbnb or FlipKey. As an owner you do not get your money until the guests check in. Frustrating and bad for owners. Also, the damage deposit is kept by FlipKey and they refund it. Sort of like FlipKey is living off your cash flow at no charge! Go with VRBO or HomeAway. They have the systems down pat. I've advertised on all sites and they get you the most bookings by far....

By Beach J.

You won't receive an answer from FlipKey unless you want to wait on hold for a very long time and then be connected to customer NOservice who has absolutely no training. This is a very poorly managed company and they have many angry owners as well as renters. You are better off searching for your rental on VRBO. Remember all of these sites are a 3rd party, advertising properties for the owner. The real assurance lies between the owner and you.

By Dianne D.

Questions? Get answers from the FlipKey staff and other customers.

2 Photos for FlipKey