Review of FamilyGoKarts

FamilyGoKarts reviews

Tel: 1-800-950-2210

nickc198
2/8/19

I want to warn people from using FamilyGoKarts.com. We have had a frustrating experience with them, as they don't seem to be a reputable business.

A quick summary:

We ordered an electric ATV (Sonora Model) for $470 on December 8th, 2018. This was to be a Christmas present for my children. Originally, it was to be delivered on Dec 20th, but the truck driver supposedly "forgot to put it on the truck", and so it wasn't delivered until Dec 27th. We charged up the battery, and then tested it out. It seemed to work fine for 20 minutes, but it then started lurching and not driving properly.

They had me test the battery, then determined that the controller was bad. They shipped me a new one, but it came in a larger box that necessary, with NO padding, and NO instructions. When I requested instructions, the technician basically said "just replace it". When I continued asking for instructions, he finally sent a 2-year old document that wasn't even for the model I had, and some of the controller's connectors were labeled in Chinese (which of course the document didn't cover.)

I finally decided to return the product, since we weren't getting anywhere, and at that point the owner said I was responsible for return shipping. When I called Saia for a quote, they said it would be $674! To return it to Texas was $383 (where the unit originally shipped from). After complaining, the owner mentioned he had a discount with Saia, for "only" $199, and that due to their generous nature, they would waive the $169 "restocking fee".

So, if you want to take a chance and order from them, and it gets damaged in shipping or stops working immediately, you will be on the hook for at least $199, and maybe another $169 if they don't feel particularly generous that day. So you could be out $368 of your $470 purchase. We are going to file complaints with the BBB and dispute the charge with our credit card company.

jinjerh
2/4/19

Customer service is a joke! Product received broke 2 days after Christmas. Sent an email. Was asked to upload pics. I did. Waited a month for a response. Had no idea I had uploaded pics and asked me to again. I told them I did. Waited and received questions like "why did you take this pic?" Ummm, it's a wheel in my hand that broke off?! Called today, lady answering the phone was one of the rudest individuals I have ever spoken to. Refused to put the person I was requesting to talk to on the phone and then hung up on me. A month and a half, no resolve, broken dune buggy. Was MORE that friendly when I was placing a 3k order....liar and used car salesman. STAY AWAY AND FIND ANOTHER VENDOR!!!!!

derekc99
2/3/19

The quality is much nicer than I expected being a Chinese bike. Ride is nice so far. Never received a shipping email or confirmation but was called by the shipping company day before arrival and received the dirt bike in less than a week from order

bobf188
1/31/19

Ordered and received detailed e mails and phone call on purchase. I was told to inspect the packaging at shipping and unpacking to see if any issues. I appreciated the input from FamilyGoKarts staff to make this purchase go well.

cjj38
1/30/19

they claim to help you every step of the way.. when I needed tech help with building the bike, they told me to email..waited FIVE DAYS and the response I received was Don't forget to change your oil..literally ignoring my questions. They sent the bill of sale in the wrong name, and there's more red tape to bust thru than a government building. Just awful. Never will I purchase a thing from BW or whatever they call their horrible company

keithr141
12/23/18

Company was very communicative, responsive and the products are great. I would highly recommend this company for your outdoor vehicle purchase

emerym15
12/16/18

Very dependable, on top of it business. Would buy again from them in a second. I really liked that they call you in person to confirm the order and provide shipping info.

ericab110
12/11/18

Received the e-atv however I am having a problem with the battery and I am having a difficult time getting a response from the company.

dennisc245
12/11/18

Received package within a week. Contents were in good shape. Engine cranked easily and runs smoothly.

kylef68
12/9/18

Order came on time- metal cage was bashed all over but the vehicle seemed untouched.
I ordered the preassembled unit, so all I had to do was change the oil, charge the battery and air the tires.

Unit wouldn't fire. At all. Called customer service and they referred me to videos on YouTube. Did all the tests, still no fire. Contacted another number in the website that just happened to be the owner.
He seemed annoyed I'd reached him instead of mike (the mechanic) but still offered his assistance via text walking me through the videos again same as customer service and this time he asked me to send him videos to prove I was doing the tests correctly. After each test failed to determine why the unit wasn't firing the owner wrote it off as the brand new unit has a bad carborator and he'd talk to his guy and get back to me.

The next day I text him saying it's atill not firing and I'm getting frustrated that this brand new unit out of the box doesn't work. No reply. I called customer service to see about returning it. Said it won't start. She informed me it will cost me out of pocket shipping and $189 for a restocking fee. I wanted to argue because sending this defective unit back was going to cost me the cost of the actual unit with shipping.

I hung up and called my buddy over for a last attempt to get this China junk going before I lose my investment sending it back. He sprayed some carb cleaner on the air filter and it FIRED, but immediately died.

We determined that the throttle was to blame for no fuel getting to the engine from the carb. So I tightened the throttle cable just a little it it finally fired and stayed on, but I had to keep my finger on the throttle while my buddy adjusted the throttle screw to get it to idle. Success, she runs.

I texted the owner I got it working. He finally reply's "Good to hear"

I really believe he'd written me off as a return and lost interest. Either way, we got it working on our own and of course the dealer gets their money whether it's a good experience for us or not so you can't expect much from them.

My daughter loves the ATV.
Cheap china junk that works and prevented me from spending $2000 for a first time rider.

jonathans300
12/4/18

Placed an order for (2) ATVs for christmas. After (1) week of "processing time" they tried to run my credit card for an amount higher than the online order i placed. After calling a very rude lady answered the phone and stated that my receipt doesnt matter. Only the info in "their" system matters. I have printed invoice with invoice number, date, and original amount authorized. Company is so shady after I stated this to them they emailed me a "new invoice" which has the same date, invoice number and just changed the amount. How much more dishonest can you get? Beware I will be willing to show proof to anybody who is considering doing business with these scam artists.

Tip for consumers: BEWARE THEY WILL CHANGE PRICE AND CHARGE CARD WITHOUT NOTICE

mistyp14
10/25/18

I purchased a 4 wheeler for my son for his birthday. The 4 wheeler arrived with an axel longer on one side than the other. I didn't have a wrench long enough to fix the problem so I called up family go karts. Mike was very helpful and advised I could return the product no problem for a full refund! WRONG. Finally 4 weeks after they picked the defective product back up I was issued a refund for less than half the cost of the 4 wheeler. The lady on the phone told me it was because of a restocking fee and shipping fees (which again I was told were going to be taken care of). I would understand if I simply didn't want the product but you sent me a product defective! I will never order from your company again nor will I refer anyone to you. You are liars and thiefs!

amyg253
8/18/18

Carborator busted. No warranty. They wont help. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY! I actually purchased it through walmart.com but you cant go through them either to get anything fixed.

katrinaw36
8/17/18

Horrible experience all the way around. I will type more if my 5th phone call to resove many issues are ignored.

andrewl274
8/4/18

PREFACE: I purchased 2 tao tao hellcats from this place.

Long story short YOU WILL receive damaged products YOU WILL get the run around when trying to get replacement parts YOU WILL just end up asking for a full refund for everything because they have THE WORST possible support system. A 3 year could get you better support than these guys. This company is a joke save your time and money SHOP ELSEWHERE!!!

Tip for consumers: Just dont do it

jenniferc546
7/15/18

Rate and review
FamilyGoKarts, 316 Broadway c, Browns Valley, MN 56219

Jennifer Cushman
Posting publicly. Learn more

Worst product and service I have ever had. Paid a little over $1500 for a gokart for my kids. Ordered green and received red. Paid for it to be assembled, it was mostly assembled. My brother-in-law spent a day assembling. Then him and I spent 2 days trying to get it to start. Spent countless hours on the phone with customer service and hours and hours online watching how to videos. Even changed the spark plug with the one they set with the maitence kit I ordered and paid for...funny thing it was the wrong size plug. I had to buy a new one. I even had a registered mechanic stop buy and look at that piece of junk and he couldn't figure out what the deal was. Entered a trouble ticket, took several days for a response. Finally got someone who would at least talk to me and not send me to the videos or trouble shooting at the website. Determined on the phone with him it was not a functioning gokart. Set up to ship it back and get a full refund....that was in May. Only have received a refund of $900. At one point we were told family go karts never received the go kart even though we had the freight info and confirmation. I have filed with paypal and spoken directly to family go karts and still have not received a full refund. I am filing another appeal with paypal, I have contacted the BBB and spoken to my attorney. We plan in filing a claim in small claims court if resolution...full refund is not sent.

josephw197
6/28/18

I have to say everything went great with the ordering and delivery was even early. So here comes the bad part. I still haven't received my title yet. I have the scooter for 3 weeks now and still can get it on the road. Call up to ask for tech support and they say email them. Listen if I'm paying extra for that tech support I want to be able to talk to someone

jamess449
8/13/16

After I received my 49 cc scooter. Found out that I needed to have it registered where I live. So after contacting the title clerk. I received the paper work. WRONG. Papers. The bill of sale and title did not match. I have the title for a piece of equipment that I did not purchas. But the bill of sale was correct Contacted title clerk back. And my reply back was that she did not see any problem with the paper work. So I highlited the issues and explained that the title was wrong. So all she did was send me the bill of sale that matched the title. Not my order. Ant not my equipment. Still not right. I have now made 3 trips to the county clerk. And they still will not touch it So contacted back the clerk again. My reply back was. I do not know what you want me to do. How about your job. And maybe if you read the message that I sent you. Then there would not be a issue am about ready to make them take this back.

Questions? Get answers from the FamilyGoKarts staff and other customers.

1 Photo for FamilyGoKarts